The history of the settlement along Coal creek, in southwestern Nemaha county, was reviewed by B. P. Redmond in a series of articles beginning in the Seneca Courier-Tribune, April 14, 1941.
On May 8, 1941, the Russell Record and The Russell County News published special historical editions celebrating the annual "Prairiesta." The Record reprinted an account of the arrival of the Northwestern colony at "Fossil Station," now Russell city, in 1871, written by Russell Benjamin Pratt and first published in the Record, April 22, 1875. A feature, "Early Day History of Russell County," in the News, included sketches printed serially from March 20 to May 1. This feature was continued in the News of May 15, 22 and June 5.
The Garnett Review issued a twenty-four page, seventy-fifth anniversary edition, May 15, 1941. The newspaper, which has undergone many consolidations, was begun as the Plaindealer in 1865 by I. E. Olney. Histories of Garnett and its schools, newspapers, churches, lodges and civic organizations were published. Articles on Anderson county's oil industry and the founding of other towns in the county were also included.
Sketches of early pioneer days in Neosho and Labette counties by Mrs. J. T. Coles were printed in the Erie Record, May 16, 1941. The twenty-second anniversary edition of The Plaindealer, Wichita labor newspaper, was issued May 23, 1941. Several historical articles of interest to labor were featured.
Experiences of 93-year-old Mrs. Armilda Williams, who was once a slave in Missouri, were briefly discussed by Harold Coats in the Topeka Daily Capital, May 26, 1941.
An account of the first observance of Decoration Day in Burlingame in 1882 appeared in The Enterprise-Chronicle, May 29, 1941. Featured in the article were the names of the men of Osage county who died while serving with the Union army,
"Early History of Mound City," by the late E. O. Morse, was printed in the Mound City Republic, May 29, 1941. This sketch was written in 1914 to commemorate the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. E. O. Morse. Fifty years before, on October 18, 1864, when this Linn county couple were married in Dansville, N. Y.,
the Kansas militia was assembling in five border counties to resist Price's threatened invasion. At that time Morse was a captain in the Federal army. The history of the Blue Rapids Presbyterian Church appeared in the Blue Rapids Times, May 29, 1941. The church was organized May 1, 1870. The Rev. Charles F. Mussey was the first minister of the church, with twenty-three charter members.
On June 18, 1941, the Marion Review issued a golden jubilee supplement dedicated to Father John M. Sklenar, who has served his church fifty years, spending thirty-eight years of this time in St. John Nepomucene Parish, in Pilsen. A biography of Father Sklenar, by the Rev. Emil Kapaun, is also a history of the Catholic churches and school at Pilsen.
A 48-page "Southwest Resource Edition" of the Garden City Daily Telegram appeared June 18, 1941. The special issue contained much information concerning live-stock, crops and the industrial resources of the Garden City area. The story of the Soule canal, a fantastic failure in the early days of irrigation in the vicinity, is told in connection with an account of the present-day achievements of irrigation.
On June 26, 1941, the Riley Regent published an article "Looking Back Sixty-Two Years," by Chas. A. Southwick. It was recalled that the first newspaper published in what is now Riley, was the Riley Center News, dated January 19, 1879. Mr. Southwick stated that he wrote the article from memory and hoped old-timers who had additional information would respond. On July 3, an article entitled "Riley's First Newspapers," by Isaac Moon, was printed in the Regent. Moon stated he had in his possession a copy of number four of the first Volume of the Riley Center News, dated February 28, 1879. He was editor of the Riley paper during part of 1880 and 1881.
Celebrating the anniversary of its first year of publication The Quivira Chieftain, of Lyons, issued a twenty-eight page historical edition on June 27, 1941. Mrs. Roy Kinzie's article on the history of Lyons was of special interest. News photographs of local people and events, a weekly feature of the Chieftain, were also included.