Organization of a Hays historical society was discussed at a meeting of a chamber of commerce committee April 3, 1939. Dr. Claire Wilson was elected permanent chairman and W. D. Philip, secretary. Others on the committee are: Roy Miller, George Philip, Frank Motz, Dr. C. D. Blake and R. S. Markwell.
The Kansas History Teachers Association met in rooms of the Kansas State Historical Society, Topeka, April 15, 1939, for its thirteenth annual meeting. Papers presented at the morning session were: "The Spirit of Canadian-American Relations," by Harold E. Conrad, Ottawa University, and "The Lima Conference," by Rob Roy MacGregor, Southwestern College. On the afternoon program, problems of state government were discussed by F. H. Guild, director of the research bureau of the legislative council. Kirke Mechem followed with an outline of the resources of the Kansas State Historical Society. He was assisted by Helen M. McFarland, for the library, and Nyle H. Miller, for the newspaper division. Newly elected officers of the association are: Harold E. Conrad, Ottawa University, president; Raymond L. Welty, Fort Hays Kansas State College, vice-president, and Della A. Warden, Kansas State Teachers College, Emporia, secretary-treasurer. Others on the executive committee besides the above-named officers are: James C. Malin, of the University of Kansas, retiring president; Arley Riggs, Parsons Junior College; Robena Pringle, Topeka High School, and Iden Reese, Kansas City Junior College.
Portraits and records of John C. Mack, Newton, Harold T. Chase, Topeka, and Thomas E. Thompson, Howard, who, during their lifetimes, were outstanding Kansas newspapermen, were added recently to the Kansas Newspaper Hall of Fame in the University of Kansas journalism building at Lawrence.
A marker commemorating Ben Blanchard's discovery of Hutchinson's salt vein in 1887 was unveiled on Kansas highway 17, south of South Hutchinson, May 6, 1939, by Uvedale chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.