Wichita of the 1890's was featured in a series of articles by Molly Warren Wilcox in The Democrat, of Wichita. The series began in February, 1936, and continued for several months.
Early-day musicians in the Saline valley were recalled by Judge J. C. Ruppenthal in the Lucas Independent, February 27, 1936. George Stanton's reminiscences of early days in Beaver and Norway townships, Republic county, were recorded in the Belleville Telescope, March 12,1936.
A history of the Burr Oak Civilian Conservation Corps camp, the "first camp in Kansas to be assigned exclusively to soil and water conservation," was contributed by V. B. Fredenhagen, superintendent of the camp, to the Belleville Telescope, April 2,1936.
St. Francis church in Timbered Hills was the first religious structure in Wilson county, Belle C. Lyon related in the Wilson County Citizen, of Fredonia, April 10, 1936. Father Paul Ponziglione founded the church. The first building was erected in 1869.
Cuba's school history was reviewed in the Cuba Tribune, April 30, 1936.
Logging the Beloit-Colby cutoff, a story of early-day road building for automobiles was told by W. F. Hughes in his "Facts and Comments" column in the Rooks County Record, of Stockton, April 30, 1936. The capture of Sarah White Brooks by the Indians, as written by Mr. Hughes after an interview with Mrs. Brooks, was the column's subject June 25 and July 2.
Tiblow in 1870 was described briefly in the Bonner Springs Chieftain, May 7, 1936. Tiblow is now Bonner Springs.
"Old Larned Hotel Register Gives Some Sidelights on Early-Day History Here," was the title of an article in The Tiller and Toiler, of Larned, May 21, 1936.
Belle Plaine's Methodist Episcopal Church history was featured in the Belle Plaine News, May 28, 1936. The church was started in 1871. The city's history was briefly sketched by Pearl E. Wight in the News of July 2. The townsite was located January 5, 1871.
Peter Robidoux, pioneer citizen of Wallace county, was discussed in The Western Times, of Sharon Springs, May 28 and August 6, 1936.
Garfield history was recounted by members of the Garfield Rural High School in the Larned Chronoscope and The Tiller and Toiler, May 28, 1936, and by Harry H. Wolcott in the Chronoscope of December 10.
The reminiscences of Ira Hodgson, veteran of the Eleventh Kansas infantry, appeared in a two-column article in the Harveyville Monitor, June 11, 1936.
County seat wars in western Kansas were discussed by J. Arthur Carr in three stories in The Tiller and Toiler, of Larned, as follows: Hugoton-Woodsdale and Cimarron-Ingalls, issue of June 11, 1936; Leoti-Coronado, June 18 number.
Tescott history was reviewed in a series of articles under the title "Retrospection" in the Tescott News, July 23, 1936. Another article on the town's early history was printed August 20.
Excerpts from the Greenleaf Bugle of May 1,1877, the town's first newspaper, appeared in the Greenleaf Sentinel, July 30, 1936.
Osborne county rural teachers for the 1936-1937 school year were named in the Osborne Empire-Journal and the Osborne County Farmer, July 30, 1936. Teachers in the city schools were listed in the Empire-Journal of August 6.
The history of Grand Center Baptist Church and community was reviewed by H. P. Tripp in the Waldo Advocate, August 3 and 17, 1936. The church was organized early in 1878.
Viola's Presbyterian Church observed its founding anniversary with special services August 2, 1936. "The church was organized July 29, 1876, in the home of William G. Shaw, the only charter member now living," it was related in a brief historical sketch in the Clearwater News, August 6.
The fiftieth anniversary of the founding of Leoti's Methodist Episcopal Church was observed at a three-day celebration on August 21, 22 and 23, 1936. The history of the organization was reviewed in the Leoti Standard, August 13, 20 and 27.
Memories of Leonardville and vicinity by C. A. Lovgren appeared in the Leonardville Monitor, August 27, 1936. Mr. Lovgren went out from Lindsborg as a singing evangelist in 1887, visiting Leonardville and several other Riley county towns.
Early Wabaunsee county history was recalled in articles in the Alma Enterprise, September 4, 11, 18, and October 2, 1936.
Names of pastors who have served the Hugoton Methodist Church, which celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding with services held September 20, 1936, were featured in J. M. Banie's history of the organization in the Hugoton Hermes, September 25. A history of the Hugoton Christian Church, which observed its twentieth birthday on November 1, was sketched in the Hermes, October 23.
Life in early Woodson county was discussed by E. B. Moore, of Neosho Falls, in an interview in The Woodson County Post, of Yates Center, October 15, 1936. Mr. Moore settled in the county in 1858.
The history of Prairie Grove school, District No. 65, of Nemaha county, was reviewed by Georgia Milner in The Courier-Tribune, Seneca, October 15, 1936, and in the Seneca Times, October 22.
An Osborne county Indian "scare" of 1878 was recalled by H. P. Tripp writing in the Osborne County Farmer, of Osborne, October 29,1936.
Pioneers of west central Nemaha county were mentioned by Mrs. Bert Hay in a two-column article in The Courier-Tribune, of Seneca, November 9, 1936.
Rush county men who served in the World War were named in the La Crosse Chieftain, November 12, 1936.
"When Osborne. Was Just Six Years Old," an article written by the late Howard Ruede and published in the Osborne County Farmer, of Osborne, December 17, 1908, was reprinted in the Farmer, December 3, 1936.
A letter written in 1873 by the Rev. A. H. Annis, the "first permanent clergyman in Russell county," describing the progress made by the county's religious organizations, was printed in the Russell Record and The Russell County News in their issues of December 3, 1936.
Names of prominent Rooks county citizens whose marriage anniversaries fell during the years 1874 to 1895 were listed in the Rooks County Record, of Stockton, December 3, 1936.
A history of the Seneca Methodist. Episcopal Church, by Mrs. W. H. Smith, was a feature of The Courier-Tribune, of Seneca, December 7, 1936. The church recently celebrated the seventy-ninth anniversary of its founding.
The old overland trail from Fort Leavenworth to Fort Kearney, with particular attention to its routing through Nemaha and Brown
counties, was discussed in a six-column article by John T. Bristow in the Wetmore Spectator, December 11, 1936.
Two uncles of the Rev. J. S. Coppoc, pastor of the Larned Baptist Church, were with John Brown at Harper's Ferry, an article in the Larned Chronoscope, of December 24, 1936, disclosed.
Some early Wallace county residents were recalled by Judge J. C. Ruppenthal, of Russell, in a letter in The Western Times of Sharon Springs, December 31, 1936.
Grant county history was reviewed by Rex Lee Schwein in an article entitled, "A County in the Making," printed in the Winter, 1937, number of The Aerend, a Fort Hays Kansas State College publication. "Robbers Roost Creek," by W. A. Hill, a story of the origin of several Rooks county geographical names, was also a feature of this issue.
Histories of the Idana Presbyterian Church, which celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding, January 24, 1937, were recorded in the Clay Center Dispatch and Economist, January 27, and the Times, February 4.
McCracken's history was reviewed in the McCracken Enterprise, January 29, 1937. From July 22 to 24 the city celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding. Historical feature articles in the Enterprise, July 8, include: Letters and reminiscences of Thomas J. Brown and Mrs. Francis Kline; "Blizzard of 1886," by Mrs. Jerry Curtis; "L. L. Darkes the First School Teacher in District 29"; "Charley Lovitt Saw McCracken Grow Into a Prairie Town," and "History Reveals McCrackenites Still Keep Pioneer Ideals." In the July 22 issue "Early History of McCracken," and a letter from J. R. Lovitt, were printed.
Early days in western Kansas were described by L. L. Scott in a series of articles in the Bazine Advocate, beginning February 19, 1937.
"Annals of St. Paul" is the title of a new series of articles by W. W. Graves in his St. Paul Journal starting February 25, 1937. The series is a continuation of the "Annals of Osage Mission" printed previously in the Journal, and issued in book form. Other books by Mr. Graves are: Life and Letters of Fathers Ponziglione, Schoenmakers and Other Early Jesuits at Osage Mission; Life and Letters of Rev. Father John Schoenmakers, S. J., and The Broken Treaty.
Sumner county towns in 1883 were mentioned in the Wellington Daily News, March 13, 1937. Several of the towns thriving at that
time are now nonexistent. "Wellington's Industrial History," "Gristmill Floated Down River; Sixtieth Anniversary This Year," "Wellington Pool Is Recognized As Wonder Oil Field of State," and "Authentic Account of Wellington Catastrophe, Cyclone of May 27, 1892 . . ." were feature articles of the March 23 issue.
An article entitled "Jessie Chisholm, Trail Builder," by Warren Matthews, was published in the Clearwater News in the issues of April 1, 8, 15, and 22, 1937.
The history of the Standard Life Association of Lawrence was briefly sketched in its magazine The Standard, in the May-June, 1937, issue.
Boot Hill and the Beeson museum at Dodge City were discussed by Helen A. Lobdell in the Nickerson Argosy, May 13, 1937.
A history of the McPherson Baptist Church was briefly sketched in the McPherson Daily Republican, May 19, 1937. Dr. W. A. Sharp, compiler of the history, revealed that the first sermon in McPherson county was preached by D. D. McGregor, a Baptist minister. The McPherson church was organized December 11, 1872.
McPherson College celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding with a four-day program, May 28 to 31, 1937. Histories of the college were published in the McPherson Daily Republican, May 27, and McPherson County Advertiser, May 28. The city's history also was briefly reviewed in the Advertiser of the same issue.
The history of the Bazine cemetery was sketched by Carey Olson in the Bazine Advocate, May 28, 1937.
Eureka's Christian Church celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding with special services May 30 to June 1, 1937. The history of the organization was briefly noted at the time in the Eureka Herald and The Democratic Messenger. Fort Montgomery, built at Eureka in the early 1860'x, was described by C. H. Duby in The Democratic Messenger, June 3.
The story of the coming of Mennonite immigrants to Kansas and their development of Kansas' hard wheat was outlined in the Junction City Union, May 31, 1937.
Included among subjects of a historical nature discussed recently by Victor Murdock in his front-page column printed daily in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle were: Sedgwick county in 1870, as remembered by Mrs. Geneva Blue Speer, in the June 7, 1937, issue; "Big Roller" of April 14, 1935, "greatest of all the dust storms," June 16; sixty years ago was Wichita's wettest spring, June 28;
early Wichita photographers, July 12; four classes of land available in Sedgwick county to its pioneer settlers, July 13; Morton county "ghost" towns, July 17; evolution of transportation and its effect on Wichita, July 27, and an interview with O. P. Hicklin who recalled early settlers of Minneha township, Sedgwick county, August 6.
The Garden City Daily Telegram issued its annual "Southwest Kansas Resource Edition" on June 8, 1937. The edition of 56 pages is claimed to be the largest ever published in Garden City.
Barrett's early history was briefly recalled in the Frankfort Daily Index, June 9, 1937. The town and its postoffice were established in 1857.
Girard's flying school and factory, started in 1908 by the late Harry Laurens Call, was discussed in an illustrated article in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, June 9, 1937.
Lerado's history was reviewed by Fred Henney in a five-column article entitled "Lerado, Once Booming Community, Being Revived by Oil Discoveries," in the Hutchinson Herald, June 13, 1937. Lerado was named for Laredo, Tex., according to the story, but a mistake in spelling in the post office application had it Lerado and Lerado it remained.
"My Old Pal And Neighbor of Fort Scott-Albert Bigelow Paine," by Willis A. Coston as told to A. B. Macdonald was a feature article of the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, June 13, 1937. Mr. Paine, famous author, spent ten years of his early manhood in Fort Scott. "Many of his early writings were published first in the Star," the article reported.
The introduction of golf to Wichitans was recounted by Roger Kirkwood in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, June 13, 1937. The first nine-hole course was laid out in the city in the late 1890's.
A history of Trinity Reformed Church of Cheney, organized on May 6, 1883, was published in the Cheney Sentinel, June 17, 1937.
The life story of Walter P. Chrysler, written by Boyden Sparkes collaborating with Mr. Chrysler, entitled "Life of an American Workman," appeared in The Saturday Evening Post starting in the issue of June 19, 1937. Mr. Chrysler, who is chairman of the board of the Chrysler motor car corporation, was born in Wamego, Kan., and spent the early years of his life in Ellis and other railroad towns.
Pictorial biographies of several Atchison citizens were featured in the Atchison Globe under the heading, "Atchison Personalities."
The series was published infrequently, beginning in the June 19, 1937, issue. Hail stones weighing up to two and one half pounds fell in To peka's worst hail storm June 24, 1897, Milton Tabor recalled in the Topeka Daily Capital, June 23, 1937. Early missions in Kansas were discussed by Margaret Whitte more in a Kansas City (Mo.) Times feature article June 23, 1937. The new postoffice building at Eureka was dedicated June 19, 1937. A history of the postal service in the city, as compiled by Anna Huffman and read at the ceremony, was printed in the Eureka Herald and The Democratic Messenger in their issues of June 24.
Scott county history was the theme of the fifty-two page illustrated fiftieth anniversary edition of The News Chronicle, of Scott City, issued June 24, 1937. Featured articles include: "Scott City, Kansas, 18871937"; "Old Man Prairie," and "Surprise in the Well," by Bonnie Deane Vaughn; "Settlement in Scott County Started in 1884"; "Life at Breezy Meadows," by Mrs. N. H. Bailey; "My Life in Scott County," by E. C. Whitham; "Yes-I Came West!" by J. W. Lough; "Coxey's Army Gave Scott City a Thrill"; "Speaking of Schools in the Early Days," by Mrs. A. D. Hull; "Early Day Reminiscences of Scott City," by E. E. Coffin; "George Norman's Trip to Kansas"; "High School Graduates," 1904-1937; "An Ode to the Old [Pioneer Sales] Barn"; "City Officers, 1887 to 1937"; "First Couple Married in Scott County"; "Scott County State Park"; "[J. C. Starr] Pioneer Publisher of Scott Newspapers"; "Irrigation From Under Flow Water Is Profitable"; "Oil Is Becoming One of Scott County's Industries," and "Officers of Scott County, 1886-1937." The city's newspaper, church and school histories were briefly reviewed in other articles.
The history of the Parsons' stockyards, founded five years ago, was sketched in the Parsons Sun, June 25, 1937. J. E. Gaines' reminiscences of North Topeka were recorded by Joe Lovewell in the Topeka Daily Capital, June 27, 1937. Mr. Gaines arrived in Topeka in 1882. Excerpts from Col. Asa Kinney's diary relating incidents in early Russell county were printed in Judge J. C. Ruppenthal's "Russell Rustlings" in the Paradise Farmer, June 28, July 5 and 26, 1937.
Adventures of "Bob Ridley," whose real name was Robert Sewell, were recalled by George J. Remsburg in the Pony Express Courier,
of Placerville, Cal., in the July, 1937, issue. Mr. Sewell drove a stage in northeastern Kansas for several years.
"Osage Mission, a Factor in the Making of Kansas," was the title of a fifteen-page article by Sister Mary Paul Fitzgerald appearing in the July, 1937, issue of Mid-America, of Chicago. Osage mission, located near the present site of St. Paul, was established among the Osage Indian tribe by the Jesuit Fathers in 1847.
The fiftieth anniversary of the incorporation of Belleville as a city of the second class, Independence day, and the dedication of a new recreation center were celebrated by Belleville's citizens with special programs held July 3, 4, and 5, 1937. The Belleville Telescope issued a twenty-eight page "Golden Jubilee Edition," July 1. Historical articles featured included: "John Bowersox, 94, Is Last of Original Settlers in County"; "Lists Officials Fifty Years Ago"; "Telephones Used in City for 39 Years"; "[Daniel and Conrad Myers] First White Settlers in Republic County"; "First Train Came to City in 1884"; "Postoffice at Seapo Was First in County"; "Story of Development of Belleville's Water Supply"; "History of County Relates Struggles for Civic Growth"; "Activities of C. of C. Grow Every Year"; "[John Kalivoda] Early-day Settler Tells Experiences in Republic County"; "Migratory 'Hoppers Swarmed the County in Clouds in 1874"; "N. C. K. Free Fair Leads Early History of State"; "Tells History of Catholic Church in Republic County," by Father James McKenna; "Muster John Brown Post, G. A. R., in 1882," by Mrs. W. H. Fulcomer and Mrs. J. H. Rost; "In a Reminiscent Mood," by A. Q. Miller, and a story relating the pioneering experiences of E. D. Haney. Early Belleville and Sibley history as prepared for the celebration by Lillian Forrest, of Jewell, was printed in the Topeka State Journal, July 5.
A chart revealing the subsurface paths and points of outcrop of many important oil-producing strata in Kansas was a feature of the 120-page Wichita Beacon, July 4, 1937. The edition marked the ninth anniversary of the taking over of the newspaper by the present publishers, Max, Louis and John Levand.
Several pictures of the run into the Cherokee outlet in 1893 accompanying a brief story of the event were printed in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, July 4, 1937.
Clay Center's street cars of the 1880 boom days were recalled in a Kansas City (Mo.) Star feature article July 7, 1937.
Potter's early history was briefly sketched by George J. Remsburg in the Potter Kansan, July 8, 1937. The town was platted July 21, 1887, as Bennett Springs.
Inman held an all-day celebration July 16, 1937, observing the fiftieth anniversary of its founding. The Inman Review issued a twenty-page illustrated anniversary edition July 9. Titles and authors of the feature stories were: "Threshing Machine Days Were the Happy Days," "G. A. R.," "The Milling Industry," and "Civic Improvements," by Mrs. Harry Enns; "Erection and Dedication of New High School Building," by T. Elvis Prather; "Livery Stables, Hotels and Garages," by Lillian Meyer; "Word From the First Editor of the Review," by L. C. Heim; "Inman and Its Government Affairs From Fifty Years Ago to the Present Time"; "History of the High School," by Mrs. Fred Schultis and Minnie Hahn; "Inman Grade School," by Mrs. H. H. Wilson and Minna Bartels; "Musical Organizations," by Mrs. F. W. Baerg; "Zoar Academy and Bible School," by J. H. Klassen; "Municipal Cemetery," by Mrs. A. Bartels; "Grasshoppers, Drought, Fires and Wind," by Mrs. Alva Postier; "Post Office," by Mrs. A. W. Balzer; "Transportation Today," by Mrs. R. R. Hargis; "Inman Newspapers," by Mrs. Aron Dick; "Organizations," by Mrs. Vandegraft; "Industries," by Mrs. O. W. Lennen; "Lodges," and "Inman Sports," by Leona Achilles; "Churches, Church Organizations," and "Mennonite Missionary Society," by Mrs. C. F. Hoefer; "Origin and Story of the Inman Mennonite Church," by H. F. Reimer; "Gospel Mission," by the Rev. J. P. Balzer; "Physicians of Inman," by Mrs. J. W. Johnson. Reminiscent articles by Leon O. Depp, P. G. Kroeker, Dr. F. W. Tretbar, Mrs. Foster Cline and C. M. Enns, were also printed.
Harper county rural school teachers for 1937-1938 were named in the Anthony Times, July 12, 1937.
John G. Ellenbecker told why he believed Coronado came to present Marshall county in an article in the Marshall County News, of Marysville, July 15, 1937.
A history of School District No. 50 and Waldo High School, by Juanita O'Neill, was printed in the Waldo Advocate, July 19, 1937. The school district originated in 1883.
Utica observed its fiftieth birthday at a celebration held on July 19 to 21, 1937. Pioneers settling in the Utica vicinity before 1890 who registered at the gathering were named in the Utica Star- Courier, July 22.
Stories reviewing the development of Kansas' road system and oil industry were features of the Wichita Eagle's sixty-fifth anniversary edition July 25, 1937.
A sail-driven wagon built in Westport, Mo., in 1853, was described by Sam Smith in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, July 25, 1937.
Pillsbury Drive, a new viaduct over southeastern Manhattan and the Kansas river, was dedicated July 29, 1937. The drive was named for Josiah Hobart Pillsbury, early Manhattan newspaper man, surveyor, postmaster, engineer and farmer. Brief historical sketches of communities near Manhattan appeared in special sections of the Manhattan Mercury, July 27, and The Morning Chronicle, July 28. A two-column biography of Mr. Pillsbury was printed in the Manhattan News, July 29.
Life in early Sedgwick county was discussed by Mrs. Moses Jay, pioneer, in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle, July 28, 1937.
Notes on the history of Downs schools as gleaned from the official school record books are being published in the Downs News, starting with the issue of July 29, 1937.
Outstanding flour mills in Kansas' early history were discussed in a Kansas City (Mo.) Times feature article July 29, 1937.
"Speaking of Kansas," a 48-page illustrated article by Frederick Simpich, was featured in the August, 1937, issue of The National Geographic Magazine, published by the National Geographic Society, of Washington, D. C. Mr. Simpich touched upon interesting phases of Kansas' history from Coronado to the western Kansas rabbit drives of the past few years while he wove into his story mention of Kansas' important position in the nation through its crops, oil and industrial developments.
The history of Protection was reviewed by Lester W. Bogner in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, August 1, 1937. The city was established in 1884.
White Cloud's founding was briefly discussed by Tom Dickinson in the Kansas City (Mo.) Journal-Post, August 1, 1937.
The history of St. Patrick's parish, which celebrated the seventy-fifth anniversary of its founding August 4, 1937, was recounted in the Atchison Daily Globe, August 4. The church is located eight miles south of Atchison.
Pictures of John S. Gilmore, publisher of the Wilson County Citizen of Fredonia until his death in 1913, and Thomas Benton Murdock, publisher of the El Dorado Republican, who died in 1910, were recently unveiled in the Kansas Newspaper Hall of Fame room at the University of Kansas. For names of the thirteen other Kansas newspaper men who have been nominated to this honor see The Kansas Historical Quarterly, v. V, p. 336.
Celebrating the anniversary of the founding of Wellington, April 2, the Wellington chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution displayed its excellent historical collection, assembled during the past few years, in the Wellington City Library, April 1 to 3, 1937. The collection includes books, manuscripts, pictures, souvenirs, maps and atlases dealing with Wellington and Summer county.
"The Pony Express," is the title of an eight-page pamphlet issued recently by John G. Ellenbecker, of Marysville. Mr. Ellenbecker has done considerable research on the Pony Express during the past several years, and has been a frequent contributor to the Marshall County News.
Col. Charles H. Browne, of Horton, was the featured speaker at the annual picnic meeting of the Riley County Historical Society in the Manhattan city park, June 9, 1937.
A memorial to Gen. Leonard Wood, commanding officer of Camp Fuston during the World War, was dedicated at services at the camp June 20, 1937. A bronze plaque commemorating General Wood's service was placed on a restored chimney at the site of the cottage he occupied during the war. The fireplace, chimney and foundation of the house have been restored, and a flight of steps has been constructed up the hillside from Highway No. 40. The Manhattan American Legion post sponsored the memorial plans.
History of the Great Plains region is being recorded in mimeographed bulletins issued occasionally by the Minnequa Historical Society of Pueblo, Colo. Several Kansas pioneers have contributed their reminiscences to the publication, which is edited by Thomas P. Wilson, of Pueblo, secretary of the society. A Check List of Manuscripts in the Edward E. Ayer Collection the title of a recent book compiled by Dr. Ruth Lapham Butler and
The 791-page volume, American Newspapers, 1821-1936, a Union List of Files Available in the United States and Canada, was published late in the spring after three years of intensive work on the part of Miss Winifred Gregory, the editor, and her staff. The book presents, in a geographical arrangement of places of publication, files of newspapers found in the libraries of the United States and Canada, and as far as possible, those preserved in county courthouses, in newspaper offices and in private collections.
The Kansas section occupies forty-four of the 791 pages. It locates newspaper collections in seventy-two places in the state. Since the publication of the Kansas State Historical Society's History of Kansas Newspapers in 1916 the Society has not had available a published list showing its accessions from that time. The new book, for which the Society's newspaper division contributed many hours' work in the revision of its lists, not only carries over the important items of the 1916 tory continues the record of accessions up to 1936.
Research students who depend upon newspaper files for reference should find the painstakingly-and for the most part accuratelycompiled list of inestimable value. It is to be regretted however that the editors did not lean backwards far enough in their definition of a newspaper to pick up some of the publications in that narrow field between newspapers and periodicals, publications which we know from experience to be in as much demand as bona fide newspapers. Organs of labor unions, religious denominations, fraternal lodges, trench, camp and ship's publications were not included. It is hoped that these publications may be listed in future works.