Events in early Kansas history were reviewed in three articles published in the winter, 1936, number of The Aerend, of Hays. Titles and authors of the stories were: "A Hero of the Wakarusa War [Capt. Thomas Bickerton]," by F. B. Streeter; "They Gave the Crowd a Thrill," a story of a shooting in the early days of Ulysses, by Bee Jacquart; "In the Bad Old Days," an account of Dr. William Tichenor's encounter with the Sioux Indians in western Kansas in 1876, by Paul King.|
Histories of Kansas local lodges of the A. 0. U. W. appear from time to time in the Kansas Workman, of Erie, the order's official monthly newspaper.
Reminiscences of Troy in the 1870's, by Eliza Johnston Wiggins, of Otego, were recorded in a letter printed in The Kansas Chief, of Troy, January 30, 1936,
"A Story About Alma in the Eighties," by D. R. Brummitt, was published in the Alma Signal February 6, 1936.
The history of the Montezuma Press, founded as the Chief in 1914, was briefly reviewed in its issue of February 20, 1936.
Histories of cattle trails through the Indian territory and more particularly of the Chisholm trail, including statements of pioneers regarding its location and a sectional map of its course from the Red river station to the Kansas border, were published in the Chronicles of Oklahoma, of Oklahoma City, in March, 1936. The article was prepared by H. S. Tennant of the Oklahoma State Highway Commission.
A fiftieth anniversary celebration of the organization of Mary S. Wells Chapter, No. 41, Order of the Eastern Star of Osborne, was held March 13, 1936. A history of the society was outlined in the Osborne County Farmer, March 19.
"Fort Leavenworth Claims Honor of Being the First Kansas Capital," the Leavenworth Times reported in an article appearing March 22, 1936. Congress prescribed in 1854 "that the seat of government shall be temporarily located at Fort Leavenworth," according to the Times' article, and "Governor Andrew H. Reeder, first
territorial governor, established his official residence at Fort Leavenworth in October, 1854." Remaining there "for a little more than six weeks," the Times reported, "Governor Reeder and his staff took themselves off to the Shawnee Methodist Indian Mission."
Coats Methodist Church history was reviewed in detail in a special church fiftieth anniversary edition of the Coats Courant issued March 26, 1936. Services in commemoration of the founding were held March 25 to 29, inclusive.
David Donoghue, of Fort Worth, Tex., writing in the April, 1936, number of Mid-America, of Chicago, limits the location of Quivira to an area immediately to the north of the Canadian river, and makes the "end of Quivira" coincide with the end of the flat plains at or near the North Canadian in Beaver county, Oklahoma. The "Quivira-in-Kansas idea" was discounted by the author.
Early Runnymede was mentioned in Victor Murdock's column in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle April 1, 1936.
Names of pioneers registering at the annual meeting of the Barber County Old Settlers' Association held at Medicine Lodge March 27, 1936, were listed in The Barber County Index, of Medicine Lodge, April 2.
On April 2, 1936, Wellington observed the sixty-fifth anniversary of its founding. In celebration of the event both the Wellington Daily News and The Sumner County News issued 14-page editions carrying more than fifty stories of historical interest. The Monitor-Press, of Wellington, also featured a short history of the city.
A résumé of a history of the Junction City Methodist Church, edited by the Rev. Lynn H. Rupert, and published in pamphlet form, was printed in the Junction City Republic April 2, 1936.
William F. Cody and his old home in Leavenworth county were discussed by A. B. MacDonald in an article entitled, "The Boyhood Home of 'Buffalo Bill' To Be a Memorial to Frontier Heroism," in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star, April 5, 1936.
A biographical sketch of Jesse Chisholm and the story of the founding of the trail which bears his name was published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle April 5, 1936, under the title "Would Memorialize Chisholm With Monument."
Old buildings at Fort Leavenworth are still preserved, the Leavenworth Times reported in an illustrated article April 5, 1936.
Early-day Huntsville was described by Herbert C. Totten in the Hutchinson Herald April 5, 1936.
Wichita's first funeral and first Sunday School were recalled by William G. Taylor, of Cleveland, Ohio, in an interview with Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle April 8, 1936. Mr. Taylor discussed the building of the city's first church in the issue of April 10, and earlier history in the April 11 number.
The history of the Hillsboro Star, founded May 2, 1924, was printed in its issue of April 9, 1936.
Reminiscences of the late Otto P. Byers, of Chicago, who had a part in the building of eight railroads in Kansas, were published in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle April 9, 1936.
"Colonial Ancesters [sic] Give Landon Background for Presidency" was the title of a full-page article by Joe Nickell in the Topeka Daily Capital April 12, 1936.
A biographical sketch of the Rev. Charles M. Sheldon, author of In His Steps, was contributed by Cecil Howes to the Kansas City (Mo.) Star in its issue of April 12, 1936. Other articles by Mr. Howes included: "[Edmund G. Ross] Kansas Senator Who Voted to Acquit Andrew Johnson Was Called Betrayer," Times, April 17; "Many Saloons in Kansas Smashed Before Carry Nation's Crusade," Star, May 18, and "Kansas Is Far From the Treeless Prairie That Many Believe It to Be," Times, June 10.
"Early History of Kanwaka," was the title of an article by Mrs. Guy Bigsby which appeared serially in the Lawrence Democrat from April 16 to May 21, 1936, inclusive. The article was read at a meeting of the Douglas County Historical Society on January 29.
Margaret Whittemore, of Topeka, has been preparing sketches of early Kansas landmarks which she plans to issue in book form soon. These drawings are being published in the Sunday issues of the Topeka Daily Capital -starting with the issue of April 19, 1936. Descriptions and histories of the landmarks which accompany the pencil sketches were also written by Miss Whittemore.
A brief history of the History and Literature Club, Horton's oldest woman's society, was related in the Horton Headlight April 20, 1936. The club was organized in 1891.
"Early Day Colonization Attempts Found Jewell County Indian Tribe Inhospitable," was the title of an article printed in the Burr Oak Herald April 23, 1936.
Histories of the Rule and Hide Out schools in the Fall River vicinity were briefly sketched in the Fall River Star April 24, 1936.
The Clay Center First Baptist Church held a celebration April 30, 193,6, in observance of the silver anniversary of the dedication of its present building. The church's history was reviewed in the Clay Center Dispatch, Times and Economist in issues contemporaneous with the event.
Wichita in April, 1886, in the fourth month of its memorable boom year, was described by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle April 30, 1936.
On April 30, 1936, the Eudora Weekly News celebrated its fiftieth anniversary with the issuance of a special twenty-eight page paper in tabloid form. Histories of the News and the city's churches, schools, and clubs, biographical sketches of pioneers, and letters and greetings from friends of the newspaper were published. Included in the feature articles were: "Eudora Seventy-nine Years Old," "First Marriage," and "Main Street Fifty Years Ago."
Four letters recalling the early history of Burr Oak were published in the Burr Oak Herald on April 30, May 14, 21, and June 4, 1936.
A history of the Woman's Relief Corps of Coffeyville was briefly sketched in the Coffeyville Leader May 1, 1936.
The activities of the Anti-Horse Thief Association in Hutchinson in the latter part of the nineteenth century and names of some of the members were recalled by Charles Epley in an interview in the Hutchinson Record -A/lay 1, 1936.
Hypnotism as it was first introduced in Wichita was discussed by David D. Leahy in the Wichita Sunday Eagle May 3, 1936.
The history of the Osborne County Farmers Union, organized on May 11, 1908, was briefly outlined in the Osborne County Farmer, of Osborne, May 7, 1936.
A tale of an overdue bill in the late 1860's and Jesse Chisholm's shrewdness was retold by Victor Murdock in the Wichita (Evening) Eagle May 7, 1936. Chisholm first lived on the bank of the Little Arkansas river and in 1866 he moved on what is now Chisolm creek, Mr. Murdock reported.
The Sublette Monitor issued an eighty-page magazine-size supplement to its regular issue of May 7, 1936, celebrating its fiftieth
anniversary. Features of the edition included: "The Story of the Sublette Monitor Since Days of the Homesteaders" "Haskell County's Outline of History," and numerous letters and greetings from friends of the newspaper.
A history of the Leon Christian Church was reviewed in the "Christian Endeavor Edition" of the Leon News May 8, 1936.
"Kansans Prominent in Consular Service," was the heading for a series of biographical sketches contributed by Frank K. Tiffany to the Topeka State Journal in its Saturday issues, May 9 to June 13, 1936, inclusive.
Histories of Wichita's hospitals were briefly reviewed in the Wichita Sunday Beacon May 10, 1936.
Prominent Wichita physicians during the first twenty-five years of the city's history were named in an article entitled "Physicians of Early Day Wichita Were Hardy Lot" published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle May 10, 1936. The article was reprinted from the Medical Bulletin, publication of the Sedgwick County Medical Society. An article by F. S. Vassar, reviewing the Salvation Army's fifty years in Wichita, was another feature of this issue of the Eagle. A memorial plaque was embedded in concrete in the 100 block on East Douglas on May 12, marking the place where the Army first met fifty years ago.
"Reminiscences of an Old Republican of 93 Years," by Thomas F. Wilson, and "Recall Early Days at Diamond School District 14," west of Green, were feature articles of The Times, Clay Center, May 14, 1936.
The history of St. John's Lutheran Church of Bird City, organized January 8, 1911, was printed in the Bird City Times May 14,1936.
Osborne observed the opening of a new bridge over the Solomon river, the completion of a dam and lake, and the anniversary of the arrival of the Pennsylvania colony with an all-day celebration on May 21, 1936. Historical articles in the Osborne County Farmer contemporaneous with the event included: "Enchanted Valley," and "The Village Deacon Recalls a Few Old Settlers," by B. P. Walker, "Migration of the Pennsylvania Colony ... .. Osborne County Was Organized in 1871," "The County Census of 1870," "Osborne Fire Department Organized in 1888," "An Indian Baby Born Near Present Site of Library," "Original Minutes of the Pennsylvania
Colony," in the May 14, issue, the last-named article being continued for several weeks following; "Covert Community Pioneers," by Sylvia DeWitt Gorham, May 21; "Old Settlers Register," and "Notes of the Celebration," May 28; "Pioneer Tales," by Myrtle Curran Hose, and B. F. Yost's recollections of consular service in Germany, June 4.
A story of the founding of the Hutchinson Typographical Union was related by Ed M. Moore, charter member, in The Labor Review, Hutchinson, May 15, 1936.
"The Memory of the Notorious Marais des Cygnes Massacre Is Revived on Anniversary Day," was the title of an article featured in the Fort Scott Tribune May 19, 1936. A monument was erected at Trading Post some time ago in memory of the victims of the 1858 massacre.
Early Thomas county history was briefly outlined in the Colby Free Press-Tribune May 20, 1936.
"This Month Marks 75th Anniversary of Chisholm Trail to Abilene, Kas.," was the title of an article by Bliss Isely in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star May 20, 1936.
Cimarron's Methodist Episcopal Community Church celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding May 21, 1936. The history of the organization was reviewed in the May 21 issue of The Jacksonian, of Cimarron.
Names of former teachers and the salaries paid them were featured in a history of Hard Pan School, District No. 3 of Coffey county, contributed by Ben Preston to The Daily Republican, of Burlington, in its issue of May 23, 1936.
"Research Has Separated Truth From Myth In History of Marcus Whitman," missionary to Oregon who made the journey from Independence to Oregon in 1836, the Kansas City (Mo.) Star reported in a two-column article printed May 23, 1936.
The story of the Beecher Bible and Rifle colony, which founded Wabaunsee, was reviewed by Mrs. Willard Green in the Topeka Daily Capital May 24, 1936. The history of Kickapoo parish, which on June I celebrated the centenary of the erection of the first Catholic church in Kansas, was contributed by Sue Carmody Jones as another feature of this issue. The story of the church was also recounted in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times May 25.
"White Cloud, Kas. Has Retained the Culture of Its Pioneer Founders," was the title of a three-column article by A. B. MacDonald in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star May 24, 1936.
"Some Shawnee County History" wag the subtitle to E. E. Kelley's "Kansas Grass Roots" column in the Topeka Daily Capital May 25, 1936.
More than twelve pages of the Hays Daily News of May 26, 1936, was devoted to the activities of the Hays High School during the past year. Featured in the edition were a page history of the school and a list of graduates from 1889 to date.
A monument was erected and unveiled near Colby on May 31, 1936, at the graves of Alfred and Fred Gould who died in an attempt to reach their semi-invalid father who was alone on the homestead during the blizzard of January, 1886. The story of the tragedy was told in the Colby Free Press-Tribune May 27. Original notes made by the early surveyors of Thomas county were published in part in another article in this issue.
The Haven Journal celebrated Haven's fiftieth birthday with the issuance of a forty-page tabloid edition on May 27, 1936. Hist4Dries of Haven and its churches, and several biographical sketches of early settlers were published. Pioneers reminiscing for the issue included: Etta Williams Astle, C. W. Peckham, the Rev. C. V. Priddle, Chris Stecher, F. 0. Mott, W. F. Williams, Mrs. Mattie Fisher, and Mrs. Ellen T. Doles. Feature stories included: "Extracts From the Diary of G. S. Bishop," "Haven's First Newspaper and Post-office Building," "Recollections of Haven by Founder of Haven Journal," "Organization of the Haven Grade School," "First Haven Free Library ... .. The Haven Rural High School," and "Farms Taken by Homestead and Still Owned by First Settlers or Families."
An eye-witness account of "Wichita's Last Touch of Shooting Up Town [18801 and What Took Place," by Fernando Robey, pioneer Wichitan, was the subject of Victor Murdock's front-page column in the (Evening) Eagle May 28, 1936.
The Kanopolis Methodist Episcopal Church celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of its founding May 31, 1936. Brief histories of the church were sketched in the Ellsworth Messenger and Reporter in their May 28 issues.
"Richard Cleve," Pony Express rider, by John G. Ellenbecker, and "Wagon Wheels-Reverberations of Wagon Days Caught Along
the Old Overland Trails," by George J. Remsburg, were features of the June, 1936, issue of the Pony Express Courier, of Placerville, Cal. Articles of interest to Kansans printed in the July issue included: "William F. Cody," by John G. Ellenbeeker, and "Bull Wagon Bosses," by George J. Remsburg. In the August issue Mr. Remsburg continued his "Wagon Wheels" column.
A brief history of the Burns consolidated schools including the names of graduates was recorded in the Burns Citizen June 4, 1936.
Celebrating fifty years of service to the Gypsum community the Gypsum Advocate issued a twenty-eight page anniversary edition June 4, 1936. A detailed early history of Gypsum, and historical sketches of its churches, newspapers, institutions, and clubs were printed. Other features included: "Mail Service in Gypsum"; "Union Veterans Who Lived Here"; "The Gypsum Public Schools," by A. R. Manning; "Gypsum Fire Department"; "From Kentucky to Kansas," by Charles Burnham Manning; "Fragments of Memory," by Ida Tressin; "The Municipal Water System"; "Public Library in Gypsum," by Ulilla Wheatley; "Saline County Fifty Years Ago," by Edith Wellman-Brown; "Forty-Eight Years in Gypsum," by John Schmitter; "City Auditorium"; "Beginnings in Saline County"; "Gypsum Always a Band Town"; "The Advocate's First Editor"; "Early Settlers in the Valley," by Ella Tinkler; "When They Met at Island Park," by E. E. Wheatley; "Floods in Gypsum Valley," by G. H. Goodwin; "Disastrous Fires of Past Years"; "Oldest Resident of Our City," by Dorothy Reynolds.
Eighty-year memorial of the Beecher Bible and Rifle colony was held at Wabaunsee May 30, 1936. The history of the colony was reviewed by F. 1. Burt in the Alma Signal June 4, 1936, and the Wamego Reporter June 4 and 11. Another history was published in the Wabaunsee County Truth, of Wabaunsee, in its July issue.
A one-column history of The Kansas Chief, of Troy, famous weekly newspaper founded in 1.857 at White Cloud by Solomon Miller, appeared in the Topeka State Journal June 5, 1936.
"It's No Longer the 'Dust Bowl,'" A. B. MacDonald reported in a seven-column article in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star June 7, 1936. Mr. MacDonald interviewed many persons in the southwest corner of Kansas who have lived in a part of the so-called dust bowl region through good crop years and bad, and wrote what he saw and heard.
Trinity Lutheran Church near Ludell celebrated its fiftieth anniversary June 7, 1936. A history of the organization was briefly sketched in The Citizen-Patriot, of Atwood, June 11.
A history of the First Methodist Church of Burns, organized in 1885, was recorded in detail in the Burns News, June 11 and 18, 1936.
Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Wichita, established in June, 1886, celebrated its fiftieth anniversary during the week commencing June 14, 1936. A history of the organization was printed in the Wichita Beacon June 13.
The part Wadsworth Mound, near Greeley, played in Kansas' territorial history was reviewed in an article entitled "Where John Brown Watched for Raiding Enemies" in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star June 14, 1936.
A thirty-eight page "Southwest Kansas Resource Edition" was issued by the Garden City Daily Telegram June 16,1936.
The fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the Colby First Methodist Episcopal Church was observed with special services held on June 28, 1936. A history of the church was sketched in the Colby Free Press-Tribune June 17.
Ottawa history was reviewed in the Ottawa Herald's illustrated "Ottawa Seventieth Anniversary Edition" June 18, 1936. Full-page reproductions of the entire first issue of the Western Home Journal, of December 7, 1865, Ottawa's first newspaper, and histories of the city's churches, lodges and clubs were printed. Other feature articles included: "Early Efforts to Bring Rails Into Ottawa"; "Early Cyclone Helped to Make Weather History"; "Memories of Ottawa," from the files of the Herald; "Phone Business Grew With Town"; "Atkinson Saved the Infant 0. U.," by Claude Webb; "River Has Made Ottawa History by Its Rampages"; "Thrilling Events in Early Days of Franklin County," by Harry Ireland; "Business Firms of Early Times Still Function"; "Ottawa Noted for Chautauqua"; "Doctors Came in Early Days"; "Ottawa's D. A. R. Organized in 1889"; "A Post Office Here in 1864"; "Some Big Fires in City's History"; "Asa S. Lathrop Was Ottawa's First Mayor"; "School District Formed Here on November 12, 1864," by George H. Marshall; "Isaac Kalloch, Pioneer Editor and Minister, a Sharp Dealer," by John P. Harris; "Old Rohrbaugh Still Lives in Theater Memory"; "[Ellis M.] Clarke Recalled the Early
Days"; "Electric Plant Here Four Years After New York," by W. 0. Myers; "Roster of 'Boys in Blue' in Franklin County, 1861-1865"; "G. A. R. in 1880"; "Social Doings in Ye Old Time"; "Cut Acreages Back in 1874," by H. A. Biskie; "Historic Spots in Kansas," by Margaret Whittemore; "Reading Club Library Nucleus"; "Artificial Gas Came in 1886"; "Sons of Ireland Founded Emerald," by J. R. Karnowski.
A three-column biography of John D. M. Hamilton, of Topeka, was published in the Kansas City (Mo.) Star June 21, 1936. On June 24 the Star recalled that members of the Lewis and Clark expedition held the first court session in the Missouri valley at the mouth of the Kansas river in 1804.
The Marion Hill Lutheran Church celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of its organization with special services on June 21, 1936. A history of the church by the Rev. J. J. Richard was outlined in the White City Register June 25.
"What Price White Rock?-A Chronical of Northwestern Jewell County" is appearing serially in the Burr Oak Herald commencing with its issue of June 25, 1936. The history was prepared by Harry E. Ross, a former editor of the Herald.
"First Fourth of July Celebration in Kansas 132 Years Ago," by Harold C. Place, and "The Story of Kansas Salt," were historical features of the July, 1936, issue of the Kansas Chamber of Commerce's Progress in Kansas.