Biographical sketches of the Civil War veterans of Waterville and vicinity, as written and compiled by S. A. Bryan, were published by W. E. Turner, editor of the Waterville Telegraph, in a sixty-page, adequately indexed booklet, issued early in 1935.
A state-wide society known as the Kansas Commonwealth Club was organized at. a meeting held in Wichita February 9, 1935. Plans were formulated for the organization at a previous meeting held in Wichita on January 29, where it was emphasized that the citizens of Kansas should have an opportunity to observe the anniversary of the entrance of the state into the Union and that such observance should be nonpolitical. The club will sponsor a diamond jubilee and historical exposition to be held in Wichita from January 29 to February 8, 1936, as its first major objective. The officers of the club are: R. M. Cauthorn, president; Elsberry Martin, vice-president; David D. Leahy and Margaret Hill McCarter, honorary vice-presidents and historians; Harry Van Ness, secretary, and Virgil Davis, treasurer.
The ninth annual meeting of the Kansas History Teachers Association was held at the Emporia Kansas State Teachers College, April 13, 1935. "New Viewpoints in History and History Teaching" was the general theme of the program. Titles of papers read before the association and their authors were: "The Status of History Teaching in American Secondary Schools," Della Warden, Kansas State Teachers College of Emporia; "Developments in Social History," David L. MacFarlane, Southwestern College, Winfield; "History and the History Textbook," Fred A. Shannon, Kansas State College, Manhattan; "New Viewpoints in Recent Historical Literature," R. R. Price, Kansas State College, Manhattan; "New Historical Viewpoints in Germany," Leonard L. O'Bryon, Lawrence; "History Teaching in England," Emory K. Lindquist, Bethany College, Lindsborg, and "New Viewpoints in Modern History," Frank E. Melvin, Kansas University, Lawrence. At the election of officers, J. D. Bright, of McPherson, was elected president; H. A. Shumway, of El Dorado, vice-president, and C. B. Realey, of Lawrence, secretary-treasurer. Sam A. Johnson, of Emporia, is the retiring president.
At the organization meeting of the Historical Society of Fort Harker, held at Kanopolis, April 26, 1935, Bert Woodmansee was elected chairman and Valentine Shankland, secretary. The society hopes to keep alive the memories of Fort Harker, which was a supply distributing point for military posts farther west in the late 1860's and early 1870's.
Friends of Dr. Charles M. Sheldon, noted Topeka author and divine, eulogized his useful life at a dinner sponsored by the Topeka Press Club, May 3, 1935. The speakers of the evening included Charles F. Scott, editor of the Iola Register; Miss Helen Rhoda Hoopes, of Kansas University; Doctor Sheldon, and T. A. McNeal. Doctor Sheldon has written forty-one books, among them In His Steps which has now reached twenty-three million copies.
A life-size bronze statue of John Brown was unveiled in the John Brown Memorial State Park at Osawatomie, May 9, 1935, on the 135th anniversary of his birth. The morning program included addresses by David C. Doten, of Paola; H. M. Beckett, of Olathe; Dr. Henry Roe Cloud, of Lawrence, and Bishop W. T. Vernon, of Quindaro. The dedicatory program in the afternoon, presided over by Judge G. A. Roberts, featured a brief history of the statue project by Mrs. Ida Heacock Baker, of Parsons; a poem, "The Pioneer," written for the unveiling ceremony by Mrs. Anna L. January and read by Mrs. T. T. Solander, and the acceptance speech for the state by Gov. Alf M. Landon. The $6,000 statue was sculptured in Paris by George Fite Waters, an American, and is mounted on a pedestal of red boulders. Funds for its erection were raised by public subscription through the efforts of the Woman's Relief Corps, Department of Kansas. Members of the statue fund committee were: Mrs. Anna L. January, Osawatomie; Ethel Kimmerle, Topeka; Bernice Ludwick, Buffalo, and Grace Wanner, Topeka. The John Brown Memorial Park consists of twenty-three and one half acres situated four blocks from the business district of Osawatomie. The Adair log cabin, part of the time John Brown's Kansas home and headquarters, is in the park and contains many historical relics and records.
A picture of W. Y. Morgan, late Hutchinson editor and publisher, has been added to the "Kansas Newspaper Hall of Fame" sponsored by the department of journalism at the University of Kansas. For names of other Kansas newspapermen who have been nominated to this honor see The Kansas Historical Quarterly, v. III, p. 336.
A cannon has been secured to stand near Pleasanton as a memorial of the Battle of Mine Creek, said to be the only battle fought on Kansas soil between regularly organized forces during the Civil War. Plans for marking the scenes of the battle along highway 73-E and the site of the old farm house used as a hospital, also are being taken up by Linn county citizens.
The Fleming-Jackson-Seever post of the American Legion at Atchison is establishing a museum in its headquarters in Memorial hall. Harres Martin, William Simpson and Claude Warner are members of the committee detailed to secure material for the display.
An Indian burial ground was recently uncovered by workers in the Scott County State Park near Scott City. The grounds are about one half mile from the site of the old Picurie pueblo.