"Memories of Early Days," by H. P. Tripp, has been published in the Waldo Advocate in its issues of January 18, February 29, April 11 and December 5, 1932.
The pioneering experiences of a pastor of the Swedish Lutheran church at Mariadahl were recounted in a letter from the minister, Dr. J. Seleen, published in the Rooks County Record, Stockton, August 18, 1932. The article was reprinted from the Mariadahl Messenger, Cleburne.
"Scott County Historical Society Notes," a column appearing in The Scott County Record and The News Chronicle, Scott City, featured "The Smoky Hill Cattle Pool," August 25; "Dull Knife's Raid in 1878," by George W. Brown, a scout, September 15; October 20; "A Page From the Notebook of a Buffalo Hunter," by Rosa B. Dickhut, and biographical sketches of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Coffin, in November, and a letter from a buffalo hunter which told of the naming of White Woman creek, December 8.
Names of 140 Gove county persons over seventy years of age were published by the Republican-Gazette, Gove City, September 8, 1932.
"Echoes of the Old Dewey Trial," was a feature of the Norton Champion, September 15, 1932. The article gave the story of the Chauncey E. Dewey and Alpheus Berry feud famous in early northwest Kansas history.
The history of Barclay, Osage county, was briefly reviewed in The Osage County Journal, Osage City, September 21, 1932. John M. Wetherall, of Philadelphia, was the first settler.
Names of old settlers registering at Oakley's forty-seventh birthday anniversary celebration and historical notes taken at the gathering were published in the Oakley Graphic, September 23, 1932.
Dave D. Leahy's "Random Recollections of Other Days" column appearing in the Wichita Sunday Eagle included articles on the following subjects: The organization of the Twentieth Kansas regiment, from an interview with John Quick, September 25, 1932; "Chalk" Beeson and the buffalo hunt of Grand Duke Alexis, Oc-
tober 2; Eugene Ware, October 9, and memories of a corner grocery store in Caldwell, October 23.
"Sixty Years of Life at Logan, Kansas" was the title of a feature story published in the Logan Republican in its issue of September 29, October 20, November 10 and 24, 1932.
Two meteors which fell in Washington county in 1890 were recalled by the Washington County Register, Washington, September 30, 1932. The larger stone weighed 188 pounds. Names of the Civil War veterans attending an 1888 reunion in the Washington armory building were listed in this issue.
An article entitled "Kansas-the Nation's Bread Basket," by Larry Freeman, was published in The Highway Traveler (Cleveland, Ohio), in its issue of October-November, 1932. The story of Kansas wheat was briefly reviewed.
A brief history of the Bluff City Methodist Episcopal church, by E. E. Elliott, was published in the Anthony Times, October 4, 1932, and the Anthony Republican, October 6. The church was organized in 1891 by Rev. Charles Brown, of Freeport.
On the fortieth anniversary of the famous Dalton raid on Coffeyville the Daily Journal, of October 5, 1932, published a two-page illustrated review of the event. The eye-witness account of Ida Gibbs-Jones, as written forty years afterward, was an added feature.
"Medicine Lodge Looks Back Sixty-five Years to the Ending of the Indian Wars," was the title of an illustrated article in the Kansas City (Mo.) Times, October 5, 1932.
The Pioneer Kansan Club of Morris county held its fourth annual meeting in Council Grove, October 6, 1932. Thomas F. Doran, Topeka, a former resident, was a speaker. Names of members present were published in the Council Grove Press, October 6, and the White City Register, October 13.
Settlement of a New Haven colony in Smith county was described by A. T. Gledhill, of Los Angeles, Calif., in the Smith County Pioneer, Smith Center, October 6, 1932. Mr. Gledhill was a member of the company settling in Kansas in 1871. "Sod Shanty Days," as reviewed by Roy Clough, was another feature of the same issue.
The fiftieth anniversary of Charles F. Scott's editorship of the
Iola Daily Register was observed October 6, 1932, with a special historical edition prepared by the Register's staff.
An 1886 map of Lincoln county inspired The Lincoln County News, Lincoln, to reminisce in its issue of October 6, 1932. The county at that time had one railroad and four more had been surveyed.
Early Wallace county history as prepared by R. F. Brock has been headlined in The Western Times, Sharon Springs, as follows: "Some Facts and History of Pioneer Days in Wallace County," October 6; "Fort Wallace and Other Historical Events of Interest," October 13 and 27; "Interesting Facts of Early Days in Wallace County," November 10; "Moving of the County Seat to Sharon Springs from Wallace," November 17; "George M. DeTilla writes of His Early-day Experiences," November 24, and "How Cheyenne Wells Received Its Name-Early Newspapers," December 15.
Old trails of Pratt county were discussed by the Pratt Daily Tribune, October 7, 1932. It was thought by the Tribune that the Medicine Lodge peace treaty commissioners passed close to Pratt in going to the treaty grounds in 1867. The article was reprinted in The Barber County Index, Medicine Lodge, on October 13.
A Grant County Historical Day was observed October 8 in Ulysses. Names of registered old settlers were published in the Grant County Republican, October 13, and the Grant County New Era, October 14.
"Ghosts Haunt Wichita's First Jail," by Mary Moore, was the title of an illustrated feature article appearing in the Wichita Beacon, October 9, 1932.
A brief resume of Indian activities in Kansas leading up to the Medicine Lodge treaty of 1867 was written by Paul I. Wellman for the Wichita Sunday Eagle, October 9, 1932.
"Prairie schooner" days were recalled by Mrs. James Allen Throop for the Washington County Register, Washington, October 14, 1932. Mrs. Throop and her husband homesteaded a farm in Coleman township near where the Throop church, schoolhouse and store now stand.
Old records revealing the early history of Lowman Memorial Methodist Episcopal church, Topeka, were reviewed recently in preparation for the forty-seventh anniversary of the church which
was held during the week starting October 16, 1932. A brief historical sketch was published in the Topeka Daily Capital, October 15, 1932. Rev. J. D. Foresman was the first minister of the church.
"Savage Altars," a historical novel of Indian strife and adventure in 1840, by Paul I. and Manly Wade Wellman, began as a weekly serial in the Wichita Sunday Eagle with its issue of October 16, 1932.
"The Story of Kansas," by Milton Tabor, is a regular Monday feature of the Topeka Daily Capital. The series, which it was announced will cover Kansas history from the beginning, started with the issue of October 17, 1932.
A brief chronology of the Larned Tiller and Toiler was published in its issue of October 20, 1932. The newspaper was established under its present name in Larned in 1891, having been moved there from Bluffton, Ind.
A two-column "History of Chisholm Trail," by Sam P. Ridings, of Medford, Okla., was published in the Caldwell Daily Messenger October 21, 1932.
Wichita's first telephone exchange and a newspaper history of the city were features of the 24-page fiftieth anniversary edition of the Wichita Democrat, issued October 22, 1932.
Indian Hill, three miles southeast of Hartford, is said to be the site of a bloody encounter between the Pawnee and Osage Indians, which occurred in the early 40's. The prevalence of this belief led the Emporia Gazette, October 22, 1932, to review the story.
The reminiscences of Charles Isaacson as written and read by a daughter, Mrs. Joseph Johnson, for a meeting of the Scandia Parent Teachers' Association, was published in the Scandia Journal, October 27, 1932. Mr. Isaacson homesteaded in Republic county.
Everest newspaper history was reviewed by E. J. Patch of Washington, D. C., in the Everest Enterprise, October 27, 1932. Mr. Patch edited the Everest Reflector in 1884.
The seventieth anniversary of the Irving First Presbyterian church was observed October 23, 1932. Rev. Charles Parker was the first pastor. Historical notes of the gathering were published by the Irving Leader in its issues of October 28 and November 4.
A brief history of the Wichita Indians, from whom the city of Wichita derived its name, was written by Victor Murdock for the Wichita Evening Eagle, November 1, 1932.
The three-year Hamilton county seat fight between Kendall and Syracuse was described in the Dodge City Daily Globe, November 3, 1932. The article was republished in the Syracuse Journal, November 11.
An eight-page illustrated Cheyenne county historical supplement was published by the Bird City Times, November 3, 1932. Past and present Bird City, a history of the Evergreen United Brethren church, the first wedding and the christening of the World War ship Bird City, were recalled. Sketches and experiences of pioneers included the following names: W. W. Shahan, Mrs. E. J. Sheldon, Ida Howell Henry, Maggie Howell Ramsey, R. S. Thompson, Fred D. Cram, Henry H. Eads, Rollie M. Eads, J. Oliver, Irving Anderson, H. B. Bear, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Stanley, Charles E. Curry, Mrs. Alma (Slifer) Kilmer, Carrie E. Johnson, Mrs. Ida L. Taylor, Pat McCloskey, Dr. and Mrs. G. R. Pegg, Dore Lockard and Lou M. Benson.
Sixty-three years of Washington Presbyterian church history were reviewed by the Washington County Register, November 4, 1932. The church was established October 31, 1869, by Rev. Edward Cooper and Rev. W. G. Thomas with fifteen members enrolled.
The fiftieth anniversary of the Walnut Baptist church was celebrated October 30, 1932. A history of the organization was published in the Walnut Eagle in its issue of November 4 and 11.
Brief historical sketches of the first church building, first mill and first bank in Seneca were published in a "Here and There" column in the Seneca Courier-Tribune, November 7, 1932.
Tribute to the Grinnell family, publishers of the Americus Greeting which recently celebrated its forty-second birthday, was given by the Emporia Times, in its issue of November 10, 1932. The Grinnells have owned the newspaper thirty-seven years.
Wichita's first social event was recorded by Victor Murdock in the Wichita Evening Eagle, November 14, 1932, after an interview with Syl. Dunkin, who walked to Wichita from Emporia in March, 1871. On arriving in the new city Mr. Dunkin was given food which had been left over from a quilting party held the day before -and that party was Wichita's first society news, wrote Mr. Murdock.
The sixtieth anniversary of the Winfield First Christian church
was observed November 16-20, 1932. It was organized September 22, 1872, under the direction of the Rev. James Irvin. Historical notes of the church were published in the Winfield Independent Record and Courier.
W. V. Jackson, pioneer homesteader of Comanche county, wrote of a journey forty-three years ago over the southwest prairies in a covered wagon, for the Hutchinson Herald, November 17, 1932.
Pres. U. S. Grant was among a group of notables registering in 1871 at the Ames Hotel in Wamego, according to the Times of November 17, 1932. The yellowed pages of the hotel register also revealed the names of Henry Ward Beecher, Frank P. Arbuckle, the coffee merchant, and John Jacob Astor.
Wichita's first ferry and bridge across the Arkansas river were described by Victor Murdock in the Wichita Evening Eagle, November 17, 1932. The ferry went into operation in May, 1871, and was supplanted by the bridge a year later.
The early history of the Fredonia Christian church, prepared by O. B. Griffin, was published in the Daily Herald, November 19, 1932, as a feature of the anniversary services of the church. The church was organized in the summer of 1871.
A column sketch of Gov. James M. Harvey, who settled in Riley county in 1859, was published by the Manhattan Mercury, November 23, and the Manhattan Republic, December 1. The sketch was prepared and read by Emma Harvey, a daughter, at a recent meeting of the Riley County Historical Society.
John R. Bowersox, pioneer Republic county resident, told of his Civil War experiences in the Scandia Journal, November 24, 1932. Mr. Bowersox took part in the siege of Corinth.
A two-column history of the Russell city library, as given by J. C. Ruppenthal at a Rotary Club luncheon, was published in The Russell County News, Russell, November 24, 1932.
The life story of Capt. W. S. Tough, famous Union raider, was reviewed by Manly Wade Wellman in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, November 27, 1932. Captain Tough was with General Blunt at the battles of Cane Hill, Ark., and Baxter Springs, where Blunt's bodyguard was massacred by Quantrill. The reminiscences of A. H. McCormick, early resident of Augusta, as told to Helen Haines, was another historical feature of this issue of the Eagle.
A brief history of the Billard mill, later known as the Central mill, Topeka, was published in the Daily Capital, November 27, 1932. Jules B. Billard, owner of the mill, was formerly mayor of Topeka.
The Harmony Presbyterian church, west of Wichita, celebrated its fiftieth anniversary November 27, 1932. A brief history of the organization was published in the Wichita Morning Eagle, November 29, 1932.
A four-page historical supplement devoted to Wakeeney and Trego county was published by the Hays Daily News, November 30, 1932. The organization of the county and its school system, the origin of the name Wakeeney and a condensed history of the county by A. S. Peacock, were features of the edition.
The seventy-fifth birthday anniversary of the Burlingame Baptist church was celebrated November 24-27, 1932. The church was established August 6, 1857, at the home of Miss Helen Tisdale. A history of the organization was reviewed in the Enterprise-Chronicle, December 1, 1932, and on December 8 a history prepared and read by Mrs. E. M. Deming at the golden anniversary was republished.
A brief newspaper history of Protection was published by the Post, December 1, 1932, commemorating its twenty-fifth birthday. The Post was first published by J. A. and Claude Wood in December, 1907.
The fiftieth charter anniversary of the First Christian church, Sedan, was observed November 27, 1932. A brief history of the organization was published in the Sedan Times-Star, December 1. The congregation was informally organized in 1876, but was not chartered until 1882.
A short history of the St. John Auxiliary of the Woman's Home Missionary Society, by Mrs. Ruth Oden, was published in the St. John Weekly News, December 1, 1932.
Frazer hall, University of Kansas, was the subject of a historical sketch
appearing in the University Daily Kansan, Lawrence, December 2, 1932. The
"New University" building or Frazer hall, was first used sixty years ago.
Two other Kansas towns have had the name of Pittsburg, according to an article appearing in the Pittsburg Headlight, December 7,1932. One, now extinct, was in Pottawatomie county opposite
Manhattan, and the other was in Mitchell county, the latter being renamed Tipton.
An illustrated history of the Pottawatomie county Pittsburg was published in the
Westmoreland Recorder, December 1.
The Alton Methodist church observed its fiftieth anniversary, December 1-4, 1932. The church was organized in 1882 by Rev. W. A. Saville. Names of other pastors were included in a brief history of the organization published in the Alton Empire, December 8.
Justice W. W. Harvey, of the Kansas supreme court, was the principal speaker at the annual dinner of the Shawnee County Old Settlers' Association held in Topeka, December 10, 1932. A list of persons present at the reunion was published in the State Journal, December 10."Frontier Cheer Distinguished First Wichita Yuletide," was the title of a feature article published in the Wichita Sunday Eagle, December 11, 1932. A cottonwood was used as a Christmas tree, and gifts were simple homemade articles. Meat for the feast consisted of buffalo, prairie chickens, quail and venison. Present-day employment of prominent State House reporters of yesteryear were reviewed by Burt Brown in a Topeka State Journal feature published December 14, 1932. "Early Christmas Celebrations in Northwest Butler County," was the title of a half-page feature article published in the Potwin Ledger, December 15, 1932. J. M. Worley, the contributor, was Potwin's first editor. He arrived in the city in November, 1887, and founded the Messenger, January 1, 1888.
"Two Legislators of Old `Pop' Days Still Are Active," was the title of an Associated Press news story appearing in the Topeka Daily Capital, December 19, 1932. Reps. W. H. Ryan, Girard, and James F. Malin, Lewis, are veterans of the nineties reelected to the 1933 legislature.