|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
R. H. ARRINGTON, physician and surgeon, of the regular school, came to Armstrong in 1879, since which time he has practiced medicine. He was born in Oglethorpe, Macon Co., Ga., August 4, 1850; was principally raised in Kentucky, Georgia, and Illinois. He began the study of medicine at the age of seventeen. He graduated in a scientific course at Pennfield University, Georgia, class of 1866; he then entered the Louisville, Ky., Medical College as a student, and attended a full course of instructions, but being too young to receive a diploma, he received a certificate of graduation in 1874. In March, 1877, he graduated from the Miami Medical College at Cincinnati, Ohio. He began the practice of medicine in Jasper County, Ill., in 1874. He is a member of I. O. O. F., K. of P. and A. O. U. W. Has been County Physician of Wyandotte County, Kan., two terms, and is now an examining surgeon for several life insurance companies.
WILLIAM BITTLES, retail dealer in liquors, located in Wyandotte County in February, 1869; was born February 17, 1836, at Glasgow, Scotland. Learned the machinist's trade and came to America November 23, 1849, locating at Holyoke, Mass. Worked at his trade there seven years, and moved to Chicago, where he remained about eight years; removed to Rodford, Conn., and remained two years, and from there to Springfield, Mass., Worcester, Thompsonville, Conn., and Fort Atkinson, Wis., from which last place he came to Kansas. Was married February 14, 1851, at Chickopee Falls, Mass., to Martha A. Starker, of Paterson, N. J. They have three children - William H., Mary and Hattie E. He enlisted in 1862, in Company K, Forty-seventh Massachusetts Volunteers. Was stationed at New Orleans most of the time, and was mustered out in 1863 at Redville, Mass.
JOHN C. BODDINGTON, assistant master mechanic, Kaw Valley Division, Union Pacific Railroad, was appointed to his present position in June, 1881. First connected with the Kansas Pacific Railroad in 1858 as machinist; was made foreman in 1870, and retained that position until 1881. He was born in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, England, October 21, 1838. He commenced the machinist's trade at the age of fourteen years in Birmingham, England, and followed it in different parts of the island till he came to the United States. He commenced his railway life in 1866, in the shops of the Jersey City Locomotive Works, then under control of the Erie Railroad After leaving this place, he was employed a short time at Secor's, in Jersey City, working on torpedo boats; from there he went to the State Line shops of the New York Central Railroad; thence to the Fort Wayne shops of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railroad; thence to the Chicago & Alton Railroad at Bloomington, Ill., where he remained until he moved to Kansas. He was married in Wyandotte, Kan., January 1, 1877, to Miss Lela Beatie, a native of England, who died, leaving two children - William and Edna. He was married to his present wife in Armstrong May 24, 1881; she was Miss Annie Mosley, of Lawrence, Kan., a graduate of the State University. They have one child - John M. Mr. B. is a member of the City Council of Wyandotte; he is a member of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers and Machinists, of the K. of P., and of the Blue Lodge and Chapter A., F. & A. M.
J. J. BURNS, assistant store keeper and chief operator of the Kansas Division of the Union Pacific Railroad, was appointed to his present position in July, 1880. Previous to this, was operator, agent, clerk for Division Superintendent, chief train dispatcher, etc. First connected with the Union Pacific Railroad in 1867.
WILLIAM J. BURNS, dealer in general merchandise. He began trade in May, 1881, with a stock of $1,500. He came to Wyandotte in 1867, and engaged as engineer on a road engine a number of years. He was then promoted to conductor on a freight train for some time; thence promoted to conductor of a passenger train and held that responsible position a number of years, after which he embarked in his present business. He was born in Dungan, County Tyrone, Ireland, November 28, 1848. Came with his parents to America in 1851; lived in Canada until 1863; came to the United States and enlisted in February, 1865, in Company 1, Sixty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, a regiment raised at Pittsburg. Participated in battles at Ft. Steadman, capitulation of Petersburg, Va., Sailors Hill, Faunville, Hanover Court House and Clover Hill; mustered out July 4, 1865. He is a member of the associations of B. L. E., E. A. U., A., F. & A. M. and Burnside Post, G. A. R. He was married in 1869, to Miss E. M. Reicheneker, of Mansfield, Ohio. They have three children - Nellie E., Mary E. and Revina.
GEORGE W. CHALK, Postmaster, was appointed to present position April 17, 1875, and has held it continuously since. He was born in Morgan County, Ohio, May 4, 1857. His father, Ransom Chalk, brought the family to Kansas April 22,1858, settling in Wyandotte City, Kan., where be engaged in carpentering and undertaking, under the firm name of Chalk & Hance. In 1870, he moved to Armstrong, Kan., where he was engaged in milling; he was also a local preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and while on his way to attend the conference at Lawrence, was accidentally killed by the cars at Bismarck in attempting to get off the train. Ransom Chalk was born in Washington County, Ohio. He was connected with the Kansas State militia during the war of the rebellion. He was married in Morgan County, Ohio, in 1856, to Miss Caroline Jumper, of that county. They had eight children - George W., John W., Eliza J., Joseph U., James H., Lucilla A., Lilly M. and Ida P. George W., the subject of this sketch, was educated in Wyandotte . He commenced his business life as book-keeper for his father in Pleasant Valley Mills, retaining that position until he was appointed Postmaster. He was married February 14, 1879, to Miss Mary L Shaffer, of Pennsylvania. They have one child - Josie M. Mr. C. is a member of the E. A. U. Lodge, No. 315, of Armstrong.
E. C. CONNOR, lumber and tie inspector of the Union Pacific Railroad, Kansas Division, was appointed to his present position in 1875. He was first connected with the Union Pacific Railroad, Kansas Department, in 1867, in the bridge and building department, and has been with the road continuously since. He was born in Alexandria, Huntingdon Co., Penn., May 24, 1845. First commenced railroad life in 1863, on the military roads in Virginia and Tennessee, in fuel department, continuing until 1866. Mr. C. is a member of the I. O. O. F., of Lawrence, Kan.
JAMES W. FULTON, foreman machinists' departments of Union Pacific Railway Shops, Armstrong, Kan., was appointed to his present position February 1, 1882. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in March, 1839; commenced the machinist's trade in 1854, and followed it in his native city until 1866, when he came to the United States; of this time he was employed seven years in Nelson's Hyde Park Locomotive Works. In 1866, he became connected with the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad, in the shops at Chicago, Ill., where he remained until 1870, when he moved to Kansas, and entered the employ of the Union Pacific Railroad at Wyandotte, where he has since remained. He was married in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1882, to Miss M. MacEwan, of that city. They have five children - Agnes, William, Elizabeth, James and Frank. Mr. F. is at present serving his third term on the City School Board. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P.
JAMES FURGUSON, car inspector Union Pacific Railroad shops, was appointed to his present position in 1876. First became connected with the Kansas Pacific Railroad in 1869, as a carpenter in the car-building department, being promoted from that to his present position. He was born in Pittsburgh, Penn., March 29, 1840. Learned the carpenter's trade under James Graham, a prominent contractor and builder in the city. In 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Twelfth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving out the call of ninety days, then returned to Pittsburgh, where he worked at his trade until 1864, when he moved to Kansas. After remaining for a short time in Kansas City and Wyandotte, he settled in Leavenworth, engaging in house carpentering. Shortly afterward, was engaged by Col. Cregg, to go to Hennosello, N. M., to put up a residence and other buildings; then on his return he located in Wyandotte, where he remained until the fall of 1866, engaged in contracting and building, thence returned to Pittsburgh, Penn., engaging there in house carpentering, until he returned to Wyandotte, and entered the employ of the Kansas Pacific Railroad. He was married in Pittsburgh, Penn., December 5, 1866, to Miss Catharine Gardner, of Allegheny City. They have four children - Mary B., William U., Isabelle and James, Jr. Mr. F. is a member of the Lodge and Encampment, I. O. O. F., being Past Grand, and is Past Chancellor in the K. of P. Is now President of the school board, serving his third term. He was three times President, and was a member six years.
JAMES F. HALL, foreman of the erecting department of the Union Pacific Railroad shops, was appointed to his present position in 1875. He was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, September 27, 1824; commenced learning the machinist's trade at the age of fourteen years. His first railroad work was in the shops of the North British Railroad, at Newcastle. In 1853, he moved to the United States, and located in Paterson. N. J., where he was employed by Danforth, Cork, Smith & Jackson, about two years. He then entered the employ of the New York & Erie Railroad, at Piermont. He remained in, the employ of the company about eleven years, moving to Elmira, N. Y., when the shops were moved. After spending a few months at Alexandria, Va., in Government employ, he settled in Nashville, Tenn., where he held the position as foreman of the round-house in the shops of the N. & C. Railroad. His health failing, he returned to Elmira. N. Y., where he held the same position in the shops of the New York & Erie Railroad about two years. From there he removed to Springfield, Ill, where he was employed in the shops of the Toledo, Wabash & Western Railroad; thence to Chicago. After spending a short time here and in Memphis, Tenn., he returned to Springfield, and then moved to Omaha, where he was employed in the Union Pacific Railroad shops. He was first connected with the Kansas Pacific Railroad in 1870, as machinist, and has since remained in that department. He was married in Chicago, in 1867, to Miss Mattie Southerall, of that city. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and K. of P.
JOSEPH LEAF, foreman boiler department of the Union Pacific Railroad shops, was appointed to his present position May 1,1881. He was first connected with the Kansas Pacific Railroad in 1870, in this same department. He was born in Quincy, Ill., August 15, 1849, and commenced his trade at the age of fifteen years, and followed it in Quincy, Ill., and afterward in St. Louis, Mo., in the Rohn & Allison Boiler Works, where he remained until 1870. Since beginning his trade, he has not lost a single week's time, being continuously employed. He was married in Wyandotte, Kan., in 1870, to Miss Cecilia Houg, a native of Quincy, Ill. They have four children, Joseph, Jr., John, Theresa and Harvey.
JAMES MACKENZIE, master mechanic Kaw Valley Division Union Pacific Railway, was appointed to his present position in June, 1881. He was born in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire County, Scotland, June 13, 1824. He was apprenticed to the machinist's trade at the age of seventeen years. In 1844, he came to the United States, locating in New York City, where he followed his trade until 1847, when he moved to Schenectady, N. Y., where he worked in the locomotive works some six years. He then moved to Susquehanna, Penn., where he was employed in the New York & Erie Railroad shops, remaining some years. After spending about two years in the employ of the Toronto locomotive works, he returned to New York State; and took charge of the Eagle Foundry, at Troy. About one year later, he returned to the Susquehanna shops. About 1857, he went South to take the position as foreman of the Mobile & Ohio Railroad shops at Memphis, Tenn. During the war, he was in the shops at Chattanooga, Tenn., and remained there after the town was captured by the United States troops, and was afterward at Bowling Green, Nashville, and other points, until about 1875. He then came north, to take the position of foreman of the shops at Jackson, Mich., of the Lansing & Saginaw Railroad. Shortly afterward, he took the same position at Detroit, with the Detroit & Milwaukee Railroad, where he remained a number of years. From this road, he went to the Union Pacific Railway, as foreman of the machine shops. From that was promoted to his present position. He was married in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1844, to Miss M. White, of that county, who died leaving six children, of whom there survive, John, now Superintendent of the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad; James, Adam, Margaret, now Mrs. John Lindsey; Sarah, now Mrs. William White. He was married to his present wife at Nashville, Tenn. She was Mrs. Sallie (Cook) West, of that city.
S. W. MEYER, chief clerk motive power and car department of the Kaw Valley Division of the Union Pacific Railroad, was born in Franklin County, Mo., October 10, 1854. He was educated in Wyandotte County, Kan. In 1869 he took a position as clerk in car shops of the Kansas Pacific Railway at Wyandotte. In 1871, he was transferred to the Superintendent of machinery's office of same road at Armstrong, and in 1873 he was transferred to the Auditor's office of the same road at Kansas City, Mo. On the consolidation of the Union and Kansas Pacific Railroad Companies in 1879, he was promoted to the chief clerkship of motive power and car department of the Kansas Division of the Union Pacific Railroad, which position he has since retained, excepting a few months' interval, which he spent in the Auditor's office of the Union Pacific Railroad at Omaha, Neb. He was married in Kansas City, Mo., December 16, 1875, to Miss Lucy Bell.
CHARLES MULBEY, proprietor Armstrong Brick Yard, and manufacturer of a fine quality of brick, began operations in the spring of 1882; employs six men in the business, and manufactures 6,000 brick per day. He came to Wyandotte, Kan., in the spring of 1882. He opened a brick yard at Kansas City, Mo., in the spring of 1881, and continued until he came to Armstrong. He was born in Columbus, Ohio, July 4, 1847 and was raised a farmer and brickmaker. Me was married in the spring of 1881, to Miss Mattie Edgar, of Hocking County, Ohio. They are members of the Catholic Church.
THOMAS NEWTON, foreman of the wood-working machinery department of the Union Pacific Railroad shops, was appointed to his present position in 1875. He was first connected with the Kansas Pacific Railway in 1872, in the same department of which he is now foreman. He was born near Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, September 21, 1842, of Scotch parentage. His parents moved to Roxburyshire, Scotland, while he was an infant. He commenced as a boy in the saw-mill there, and continued until 1861, when he located in Woodstock, Canada West, where he was employed in a saw-mill about two years; than moved to Detroit, Mich., working for a time in private mills. In 1865, he became connected with the Detroit Car Company shops, remaining about three years; then went to the Michigan Central Railroad shops in the same department remaining there until he went to the Kansas Pacific Railroad. He was married in Detroit, Mich., January 2, 1873, to Miss Josephine MacQuillin, a native of Monroe, Mich. They have three children - George C., Thomas W. and William R. Mr. N. is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council, A., F. & A. M., and also of the I. O. O. F.
ALMOND NOBLE, engineer, now running an engine on the Union Pacific Railroad, came to Leavenworth in 1855, where he spent his school days. Enlisted in 1862, in Company A, Twelfth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of his command, and was once badly wounded; mustered out in 1865. He then engaged as a fireman on an engine two years, after which he was promoted to engineer, and has since had charge of an engine. He was born in Brooklyn, N. Y. in 1845, and was raised in that city until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1879, to Miss Delia Van Netten. They have two children - Harry V., and an infant daughter, not yet named.
THOMAS B. ROBERTS, master car builder in the Union Pacific Railroad shops, was appointed to his present position August 18,1871, and has held it continuously since. He began his connection with railroad work about 1858, under William Dodd, contractor of bridges and buildings in the Great Western Railroad, of Canada, at Toronto, and was afterward employed in the car building department of that road. He then moved to Detroit, where he was appointed foreman of the car building department of the Detroit & Milwaukee Railroad. Remained in the employ of this company from August 15, 1860 until August 15, 1865. He then resigned, and took the position of general foreman of the Crogan street car shops for H. H. Leroy. He continued in this place from August 18, 1865, to July18, 1867, when he was called by Supt. J. B. Southerland to the Michigan Central Railroad, to take charge of the shops of the company at Detroit. He held the position of foreman of the shops here from July 18, 1867, until August 15, 1871, when he resigned to take his present position. He was born in Bromley, England, December 18, 1828. His parents moved to Toronto, Canada, about 1831, where he commenced his trade at the age of fifteen years. He spent six years at carpentering, joining, stair building, etc. He then went into contracting and building on his own account, putting up mills, etc., until 1858. He was married at Thornhill, near Toronto, Canada, to Miss Nancy Dunlap, a native of Edinburgh, Scotland. They have eleven children - Thomas G., David R., Joseph, John, James, Emily A., Susan J. Ellen O., Margaret, Minnie and Elmira. Mr. Roberts has been a member of the City Council two terms. He is Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Eastern Star Lodge, and also the K. of P.
DAVID E TYLER, chief clerk of the store department of the Kansas Division of the Union Pacific Railroad, was appointed to his present position in 1883. Has been connected with the Union Pacific Railroad since August, 1881, always in this department. He was born in Clarksville, Huron Co., Ohio, August 2, 1842. He was educated in his native county, and engaged in clerking until the breaking-out of the war. In 1861, he enlisted in Company B. Third Regiment Ohio Cavalry; veteranized in 1864, and was shortly afterward appointed Adjutant of the regiment. He was in all the campaigns of the Army of the Cumberland. On the close of the war, he removed to Missouri, and engaged in farming there until 1872, when he removed to Kansas, locating in Brookville, Saline County, engaging in dairy farming until 1881. He was married in Huron County, Ohio, September 28, 1865, to Miss Gertrude A. Seger, of that county. They have four children - Maude, Winnie, Charles S. and Orno.
JOHN VOLK, foreman of the blacksmithing department of the Union Pacific Railroad shops, was appointed to his present position in July, 1878. He was born in Piermont, Rockland Co., N. Y., March 27, 1829. He first became connected with railroad work in 1846, in the shops of the New York & Erie Railroad, at Piermont, where he remained until he came of age. He then took charge of machinery in a bridge shop at Oswego, N. Y., about one year, and afterward went to Chicago, where he was employed in the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad shops, holding a position as foreman some two or three years. He was called by Supt. Walsh, of the Chicago & Alton Railroad, to take charge of the mechanical department at Joliet, and was employed to take charge with Mr. Walsh of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad shops at Hannibal, Mo., where he remained twenty two years and one month. While at Hannibal, he was Alderman sixteen years, and member and Secretary of the Board of Education six years. He has been foreman in all some thirty years. From the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad he moved to Kansas, to take his present position. He was married in Joliet, Ill., November 25, 1854, to Miss Helen Van Aukon, a native of New York State. They have four children - Ida, now Mrs. Arthur Cole; Helen, now Mrs. MacArmstrong; Alice and Anna. Mr. Volk is a member of Blue Lodge and Chapter, A., F. & A. M.
WILLIAM WHITE, foreman of the copper and tin department of the Union Pacific Railroad shops, was appointed to his present position in 1870. He was born in Glasgow, Scotland, September 17, 1843. He began his trade at the age of twelve years, and followed it in his native city until he came to the United States in 1868. He settled in Chicago, where he was employed at distillery work until 1870, when he was called by George W. Cushing, Superintendent of motive power, to take his present position. Mr. White was married in Wyandotte, Kan., to Miss Sarah Mackenzie, daughter of James Mackenzie, Esq.