|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
WILLIAM F. BAIRD, merchant was born in Kane County, Ill., in 1841; son of Alexander and Charlotte Baird. He lived in his native county until twelve years of age, and in Davenport, Iowa, five years. He came to Kansas in 1859, and located in Mound City, Linn County, where he remained until he enlisted in the Second Kansas Volunteers. But after three months' service was mustered into Company D of the Third Kansas Cavalry, July 20, 1861; served in this regiment one year, and was transferred to Company D of the Fifth Kansas Cavalry, July 25, 1861. He served in this command until he was mustered out, but was for six months on detached duty as Sergeant of a battery of light artillery. He was in the engagments at Helena, Pine Bluffs, Little Rock, Dry Woods and Springfield, and was almost continuously scouting and skirmishing until mustered out in October, 1864. Since the war he has been engaged in the mercantile business in various places in Kansas, four years in Lawrence and eight years in Elk City. He was the first Postmaster in Montgomery County. He is now located with his family at Fredonia.
C. B. COOK, real estate, loan and insurance agent, Fredonia, was born in Phillips County, Me., March 6, 1837; son of Moses and Philena Cook. He moved at an early age with his parents to Indiana; remained three years; moved then to Hamilton County, Ohio; thence in 1846 back to Indiana, and in 1848 moved to LaSalle County, Ill., where he lived until he came to Kansas. He located on a farm near Lawrence, Kan., in 1859, but the next year moved to Linn County, where he engaged in teaching until the fall of 1860, then went to Illinois and farmed until July, 1862, when he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He belonged to First Brigade of First Division U. S. Army under Gen. Thomas. He was taken prisoner at Murfreesboro, and held seven days. Was slightly wounded two or three times, but was never relieved from duty. Was in all the engagements of his command, and was mustered out June 17, 1865. He then came to Kansas; farmed in Linn County until 1874, then came to Wilson County and was proprietor of the Fredonia Nursery until 1878. Has since been engaged in the real estate and loan business. He was married in Illinois, July 20, 1861, to Mary E. Bradley, by whom he has six children -- Imogene E., Inez, Justin B., Warren, William L. and Philena Cook. He is senior warden of the Wilson Encampment No. 35, I. O. O. F., and is one of the most enterprising and influential business men in Fredonia.
JOHN T. COX, County Surveyor, real estate and insurance agent. Came to Kansas March 21, 1857, located in Coffey County and laid out the town of Ottumwa. He engaged in mercantile business in Ottumwa about six years. He then removed to Burlington, where he remained until 1869. He served five months during the year 1867 as a clerk in the Pension Office in Washington. He did the pen work on the great seal of the State of Kansas for the engraver in 1860. He served as Clerk of the committee on enrolled bills in the Kansas State Legislature, sessions of 1859, 1860 and 1865. He served as County Surveyor in Coffey County in 1859. Surveyed the town sites of Alma, Florence, California, Ottumwa, Oread and Madison Centre in Kansas. He enlisted at Fort Lincoln in the One Hundred-Day Service in July, 1861, served one month and was taken sick and brought home to die, but on his recovery he assisted in organizing the First and Second Indian Regiments. He was mustered in, in the spring of 1862. He was commissioned First Lieutenant of Company A, Second Indian Regiment, December, 1862, and on March 1, 1863, was made Quartermaster of the First Indian Regiment. He served in this capacity six months and twenty-two days, and it was discovered that S. S. Prouty held a commission for the same office, which dated prior to his and Mr. Cox was at once appointed special Indian agent in the field and served in this capacity until March, 1864. He was in the engagements at Prairie Grove, Van Buren, etc., and made maps of the country through which they passed, and mapped the Prairie Grove Battle Field for Harper's Magazine. He returned to Coffey County, Kan., in 1864. He served two years as secretary of the United States Senate Committee on Public Lands, beginning in 1865. He was afterward appointed to represent the government in the appraisal of the Cherokee Neutral Lands, while Col. W. A. Phillips, ex-member of congress, represented the Indians. He was proprietor of a hotel in Burlington four years, and at the same time carried on an insurance and real estate agency. He also practiced law and served four months as County Attorney to fill a vacancy. He moved to Fort Scott in 1869, and was employed by James F. Joy for one year as agent for the re-appraisal and sale of Cherokee Neutral Lands. He removed to Little Rock, Ark., in 1873, and carried on the real estate and abstract business until 1875. He was appointed by the President as Receiver of Public Moneys in the United States Land Office, and served in this capacity for two years. Was County Attorney. He also took the census of Little Rock Township in 1880, and in December of the same year returned to Kansas and located at Fredonia, where he has served as Justice of the Peace ten months, and where he now carries on the real estate and insurance business, and is serving as secretary of the Fredonia Building and Loan Association, and as County Surveyor. He was born in Fairfield, Greene Co., Ohio, February 8, 1821, son of Isaac and Lydia Cox. His father died in 1821, and his mother several years afterward married Joseph Sexton. She was born in 1799, and is still living. She is a very prominent preacher of the United Brethren Church, has preached acceptably in the largest cities of the Untied States. She served one year as chaplain of the Kansas State Penitentiary. She is widely known and universally esteemed. Her autobiography has quite an extensive sale. Mr. Cox lived in his native county five years, then lived with his mother in various parts of Ohio, until 1840, when he went to Hancock County, Ind., and after assisting in taking the census there returned to Ohio. He attended school and then taught two or three terms; finally attended Hoshour's academy at Cambridge City, Ind., then taught in Germantown and Centerville, Ind. Finally took charge of the Cambridge schools and afterward of the County Seminary at Noblesville, Ind. He also edited and published the True Whig . While teaching and editing the Whig, he accepted a position as secretary of the Peru and Indianapolis Railroad Company, at the same time was proprietor of a drug store. He taught one year, owned the drug store two years, and was secretary of the railroad company three years. He afterward served as Postmaster of Noblesville, Ind., and was Transportion Clerk of the Railroad until 1853, when he was elected Secretary and Treasurer of the Northwestern Christian University at Indianapolis, and removed to that city, remaining there until the University buildings were completed; then returned to Noblesville, and a few months afterward came to Kansas. He was married in Cambridge City, Ind., April 20, 1845, to Catherine R. Allison, by whom he has five children -- Mrs. Clara A. McDiarmid, John T., Herbert Finley, Charles W., and Mrs. Katie L. Johnston. He is a member of the Christian Church; he is secretary of Kilwinning Council, and Masonic Lodge. He has taken all the Masonic degrees, to Knight Templar; is secretary of the I. O. O. F. Lodge, and Encampment; secretary of E. A. U., and commander of Post, No. 98, G. A. R. Few men are more widely and favorably known than Mr. Cox.
LOUIS EPSTEIN, merchant, proprietor of the New York Store, was born in the city of Walkowisky, Eastern Russia, in the year 1850. He was raised and educated in the Province of Poland, Eastern Russia. His father was an extensive grain dealer. Louis Epstein left his native country in 1867, and went to England, where he remained one year, when he took a steamer at Liverpool for New York City. He located at Buffalo, N. Y., and was engaged in business there for six or seven years. He then spent three years in Pennsylvania as a commercial traveler, and from Pennsylvania went to Colorado, but after prospecting two weeks, he returned to Leavenworth City, Kan., and again went on the road; traveled in Kansas until 1879, and then came to Fredonia, and on August 15, 1879, opened up an extensive stock of dry goods and clothing. He is now permanently established in business, and is one of the leading merchants of Wilson County. He is treasurer in the I. O. O. F., and is an officer in the Encampment. He is a young man of good habits and chaste language, reliable in business, urbane in manners and progressive in thought.
ALEXANDER W. FORGEY, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Fredonia. He was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., May 23, 1833; son of John S. and Mary Forgey. He was raised in his native county on a farm, and came to Kansas January, 1870; located in Prairie Township, Wilson County, and has been engaged in farming ever since. But for the last two years, has had his residence in the city of Fredonia. He was married, in Davis County, Iowa, January 2, 1859, to Sarah J. Feagins, daughter of Willis and Elizabeth Feagins. She is a native of Ohio, but was raised in Iowa. She is an intelligent lady, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Forgey is an unassuming man, of industrious and economical habits, and is conscientious and reliable in business.
JOHN S. GILMORE, editor and proprietor of the Wilson County Citizen, was born in Rochester, N. Y., December 6, 1848. He is descended from Scotch Presbyterian stock, and one of his relatives on his father's side, who was a participant in the Covenanter struggles of the seventeenth century, was killed in battle of Drumclog. William Gilmore, grandfather of John S., was identified with the Irish Rebellion of 1798, and was a United Irishman of exceptional learning and ability. Robert G. Gilmore, born September 19, 1811, at Donaghadee, County Down, Ireland, was by trade a carpenter, well educated, of good intellectuality, rare penetration and firm character. He came to America in 1833, and in 1837 settled at Rochester, N.Y., where he remained for twenty years. His wife, Helen Storrier, was born in Dundee, Scotland, on April 28, 1812. She was reared in the Scotch Presbyterian faith, and is a woman of sterling character, greatly respected by all who know her. Robert G. Gilmore had eight children, six of whom are now living. J. S. is the fourth son. In 1857 Mr. Gilmore came to Kansas and located near Emporia, Lyon County, on a claim. In 1870 he removed to Emporia, where, on February 11, 1874, he died. The subject of this sketch had but little schooling, his present education having been acquired in his intercourse with the realities of life. Up to the age of sixteen he worked on his father's farm, and on July 20, 1865, left it to enter the office of the Emporia News as an apprentice of the art of preservative, under the tutelage of Hon. Jacob Stotler. After acquiring the trade and working as a printer in various parts of the State a little over four years, and having laid up as the result of his individual industry, frugality and good management $700, he purchased the necessary printing material, moved to Wilson County, and April 21, 1870, established the Wilson County Citizen. He was then twenty-one years of age and the youngest editor in Kansas. The Citizen was published six months at Guilford, then two years at Neodesha, and in May, 1873, was moved to Fredonia, the county seat, and entered upon a career of newspaper success which has few parallels in the State. Everything he has attained is the direct fruit of unremitting hard work, tenacity of purpose, a straightforward course and exceptional business tact. The Citizen has effectively championed the material interests of Fredonia and Wilson County, and the services of its public-spirited editor in promoting the growth and development of the county is generally conceded. Though independent and outspoken as an editor Mr. Gilmore has always been a radical, unflinching Republican, advocating the interests of his party with enthusiasm and fidelity; has been active in its councils and has been honored with public confidence and trusts in a conspicuous degree. In nearly every Republican State Convention held since he became a voter, he has been a delegate. He was also a member of the Republican State Committee, Congressional Distict Committee and Chairman of the County Committee several times. In 1871 he was elected Register of Deeds of Wilson County, holding two years. In 1876 he became a member of the State Legislature, and in 1878 was re-elected. On February 16, 1880, he was appointed Postmaster of Fredonia and still holds the position. In 1881 he compiled the history of Wilson County. He was married at Lancaster, Ohio, May 31, 1882, to Miss Viola Butin, of Fredonia, Kan., a beautiful and accomplished lady of admirable disposition and exalted character. The wedding journey led to Washington, where, on June 9 the bride of nine days died. Over the sad ending of the journey so happily begun, we draw the veil. Saddened and well nigh crushed Mr. Gilmore returned to Fredonia and his many duties, beneath whose steady pressure he strives to bury the sound of a voice forever stilled and a loved face forever faded from mortal vision. Mr. Gilmore's forceful character will, however, carry him over even this irreparable loss, and we may look for his appearance again in some position suited to the character of the man and the appreciation of his fellows.
WILLIAM B. HESS, merchant, dealer in general merchandise and country products, was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., December 23, 1854; son of John F. and Catherine Hess. He went with his parents, in 1861, to Ohio, in which State he was raised and educated until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1868. He then farmed in Lyon County, Kan., one year, and the next year came to Fredonia, near where he engaged in farming seven years and then entered the mercantile trade and is now carrying one of the heaviest stocks of general merchandise in the city. He is a young man of fine business qualifications and good habits, and has a host of friends in Wilson County.
S. S. KIRKPATRICK, ex-County Attorney, attorney for St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. Co., came to Kansas in September, 1873, located at Fredonia and has been engaged in the practice of law here ever since. He has served one full term as County Attorney of Wilson County, and is the present attorney for the St. Louis & San Francisco R. R. Co. He enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry in April, 1863, served 200 days of enlistment and was mustered out in October, 1863. He was born in Franklin County, Ill., February 21, 1847. He is a son of John F. and Hester A. Kirkpatrick. He was educated in the law department of the Michigan University, Ann Arbor. Left his native county in 1872, and went to Cairo, Ill., and thence in September, 1873, to Kansas. He was married in Mattoon, Coles Co., Ill., December 25, 1867, to Rosa H. Bowen, an amiable and accomplished lady, a native of the State of Indiana. By this union they have five children -- Elsie C., Otto B., Mark, Byron and Hobert. Mr. K. is one of the leading attorneys of southern Kansas.
OWEN LEE, real estate and loan agent, was born in Gasconade County, Mo., January 24, 1846; son of Drury and Matilda Lee. He lived in his native county until 1858, and then moved to Cedar County, Mo., where he remained until July, 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, Eighth Missouri M. S. M. and did home guard service six months, then entered Company E, Seventh M. S. M. and was actively engaged about one year. Was in the engagements at Carthage and Wilson Creek. He was also engaged in skirmishing, part of the time served as a spy for Brig. Gen. Carr. He was taken prisoner while scouting by Gen. Price's command at Boston Mountain. Four days after the capture, he, in company with two companions, made their escape from the guards, and mounting rebel horses ran through Price's camp, and rode all night; two of the horses were run down and all three of the escaped prisoners mounted the horse on which Lee rode; but the horse soon gave out, one of Lee's companions was shot and killed, the other wounded and re-captured, while Mr. Lee was hunted down by bloodhounds and finally recaptured. He and his companion were then tied with ropes for a few days, and for several weeks were fed on bran bread and water; about six weeks after the capture he again effected his escape and eluded his pursuers by jumping into a stream and taking refuge under a drift where he lay in the stream with only his head above water over twenty-four hours; when his pursuers had given up the search he proceeded on his way, and was three days and nights without food. On the evening of the second day he found in the road a $5 bill, and soon after an abandoned Government mule. He manufactured a bridle of bark, mounted the mule and rode all night, the mule gave out the next morning. He stopped for refreshments at a log hut occupied by a colored family. He was here provided with shoes to protect his lacerated and bleeding feet. He then continued his journey on foot, taking only one meal per day and sleeping out nights until he finally completed the distance of over 250 miles and arrived at his home in Osceola, Mo. He then returned to his regiment and completed his term of service, which was one year. He then came to Kansas in March, 1863, and on June 1, 1863, was mustered into Company G, Ninth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, was afterward transferred to Company M, same regiment. Was in the engagements at Newtonia, Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, Vanburen, Little Rock, Bull Bayou and many skirmishes; was finally mustered out August 15, 1865. He then returned to New Albany, Wilson County, where he clerked at an Indian trading post two and a half years. Then spent two years in Indian Territory trading with the Indians, after which he farmed in Wilson County, Kan., about two years. He then went to Elk County and was there dealing in stock until he came to Fredonia in 1882. Since coming to Fredonia he has been engaged in the furniture, lumber and grain business three years, and in the harness business several years. On January 21, 1880 was burned out and suffered a loss of $3,200. He is at present engaged in the real estate and loan business and is serving as Constable. He was married at New Albany, May 13, 1868, to Salatha Law, by whom he had five children, two of whom are now living, viz.: Jonathan W. and Rosetta. His wife died in 1875. His second wife, Miranda Walden only lived five months after their wedding, and he was married to Miranda A. Libby, January 6, 1877, by whom he has one child, viz.: Dora Belle Lee. Mr. Lee is a worthy Mason, a member of the G. A. R. and is deputy grand dictator of the State for the Knights of Honor.
GUSTAVUS McFADDEN, Register of Deeds, farmer, Sections 26 and 27, P.O. and residence, Fredonia, came to Kansas in March, 1870, located in Colfax Township, Wilson County, and has engaged in farming and stock raising ever since. Has served as Township Trustee of Colfax Township two years, County Clerk of Wilson County one term, Deputy Register of Deeds one term, and is now serving as Register of Deeds, having been elected in the fall of 1881. He was born in Clinton County, N.Y., January 3, 1838; son of Henry and Phebe McFadden. He lived in his native county twenty-one years and graduated from Albany Medical College. Practiced medicine in Grant and Columbia counties, Wis., several years, then came to Kansas. He was married in Grant County, Wis., December 29, 1866, to Julia M. Hyde, an intelligent and accomplished lady, a native of Vermont and daughter of Franklin and Arminda Hyde. This union has been blessed with three children -- George L., Harry S. and Minnie McFadden. Mr. McFadden is recognized as a leading citizen and a careful and efficient Recorder. He is a Mason, and himself and wife are members of the Congregational Church.
ROBERT J. MACKEY, Clerk of the District Court, came to Kansas in the spring of 1869, located in Linn County, on a farm, engaged in farming and teaching until 1875. He then taught and farmed in Warren County, Ill., about two years, and returned to Kansas in March, 1877, located on a farm, and engaged in farming and teaching until elected Clerk of the District Court, in 1880; he has served one full term, and is also serving as Clerk of Center Township. He was born in Logan County, Ohio, April 25, 1852, son of Robert and Martha Mackey. At an early age, he moved with parents to Porter County, Ind., where he remained until he came to Kansas in 1869. He was married in Fredonia, Kan., November 30, 1882, to Lillie A. Smith, an intelligent and accomplished lady, a native of Leavenworth City, Kan., and daughter of Homer and Augusta Smith. Mr. Mackey is a member of the K. of P. Lodge. He is an enterprising, industrious and reliable business man, and a faithful public servant.
JACOB W. PAULEN, hardware merchant, and dealer in stoves, tinware and implements. He was born in Sangamon County, Ill., September 8, 1839; son of Debold and Margaret Paulen. He was raised in his native county, and enlisted August 6, 1862, in Company B, One hundred and Thirtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered in August 20 as Second Lieutenant. He was promoted to First Lieutenant, in February, 1864, and was afterward commissioned Captain, for meritorious conduct. He served in the engagements at Port Gibson, Champion Hill, Black River, and the siege of Vicksburg. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Mansfield, La., April 8, 1864, and held fourteen months at Tyler, Tex., then paroled. He was mustered out in July, 1865, then returned to Sangamon County, Ill., same year, and in 1868 moved to DeWitt County. In 1869, moved to Kansas, locating on a farm two and a half miles southeast of Fredonia, and engaged in farming about three years. He was then elected Clerk of the District Court, to all a vacancy, and afterward completed the term. He has also served as clerk in Foster & Co.'s Bank about four years, and for a while was engaged in the real estate and loan business. He established his present business in 1879, and now carries a large and comple [sic] stock of hardware and implements. He was married in Sangamon County, Ill., January 18, 1866, to Lucy B. Johnson, By this union he has five children -- Benjamin S. R., Laura E., Minnie, Dot, and Raymond Paulen. He is W. M. of the A., F. & A. M. Belongs to the Royal Arch and Knights Templar, and is a member of the Council. He is one of the leading men of Wilson County, and is very widely and favorably known.
N. POWELL, editor of the Democrat, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., in 1818. His early education was gained in Shelbyville; this completed, he studied law in LaPorte and South Bend, but upon graduation, did not follow his profession, but went into business in Havana, Ills., thence he removed to Mankato, Minn., and later to Lexington, Mo. His next step was to Neosho Falls, where he ran the Woodson County (Kan.) Post , thence he went to Fall River, Greenwood County, where he established the Times , which he still owns. In the spring of 1882, he established the Democrat.
ORLANDO V. SMALL, merchant, dealer in dry goods, clothing, etc., also stock and grain dealer, was born in LaPorte County, Ind., May 14, 1849; son of Phineas and Mary Small. Lived in his native county until he came to Kansas. He was educated in the public schools of his native county, at Bryant & Stratton's business college, Chicago, Ill. He came to Kansas in August, 1870, stopped a short time in Montgomery County and then came to Fredonia, September 10, 1870. He was in the boot and shoe trade six months, livery business over two years and for the last ten years has been engaged in handling general merchandise. He is one of the most extensive dealers in Wilson County. He was married in Fredonia, December, 4, 1873, to Mary Agnes Freaner, and by this union has one child -- Iona V. Small. He is a worthy Mason, and belongs to the K. of H. and E. A. U. He is one of the most enterprising and successful merchants in Fredonia.
HOMER SMITH, grocer, was born in Ohio, April 4, 1838; son of Cyrus and Mary Smith. At twelve years of age he was taken out of school on account of his father's death, and by keeping a grocery store supported his father's family, consisting of six persons. He remained in Kenton, Ohio, until 1859 and then moved to Kansas, locating in Leavenworth CIty in the spring of that year and engaged for eight years in the mercantile business at that place. The next three years were spent in Ohio. He then returned to Leavenworth City where he remained three years, and then came to Wilson County. Here he engaged in milling three years and farming two years, then entered the mercantile business and is now quite extensively engaged in merchandising. He was married in Leavenworth City, March 22, 1864, to Augusta Miller, an intelligent and accomplished lady, a native of Ohio and daughter of Thomas P. and Angeline Miller. By this union has six children -- Lillie A., Homer Lee, Jessie E., Tommy M., Harry Max and Bessie Smith. He is one of the leading merchants of Fredonia.
WILLIAM STIVERS, Probate Judge, real estate and loan agent, came to Kansas in the spring of 1871; located at New Albany, Wilson County, and in the fall of 1872 was elected Probate Judge, and has filled the position ever since, having been elected for six consecutive terms. He was born in Chester, Meigs Co., Ohio, March 20, 1823; son of Randall and Phoebe Stivers. He was raised and educated in his native county. Moved to Tipton County, Ind., in 1851, and lived in that county twenty years, during which time he served as clerk in County Auditor's office two years; served as County Auditor by elections eight years, as Postmaster at Tipton one year, and representative in State Legislature two years. Moved to Kansas from Tipton County in 1871. He was married in Tipton, June, 1852, to Matilda A. Young, daughter of Alexander M. and Elizabeth Young. She is a native of Coshocton County, Ohio. Mr. Stivers has a family of seven children, viz.: Urania Carrie, wife of M. G. Troup; Mary Elizabeth, wife of J. M. Kenedy; Charles E. (editor), William R. (editor), George A., Kate A. and Joseph W. William R. and George A. are twins, so also are Kate A. and Joseph W. Mr. Stivers is one of the most popular men in Wilson County, an honest and reliable businessman, and a faithful and capable public servant. He is a worthy Mason and a member of the I. O. O. F.
J. W. STOVER, merchant and proprietor of the Fredonia flouring mills. Was born in Muskingum, County, Ohio, February 13, 1842. Son of David and Elizabeth Stover. Left his native county, in 1852. Went to Clark County, Ill., and thence about the year 1856 to Coles County, where he enlisted, in 1861, in Company E Sixty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was mustered in September 15, 1861, as Orderly Sergeant. He was principally engaged in scouting, skirmishing, guarding railroads, and doing provost duty. Was stationed at Cairo, Paducah, Columbus, and at different points along the Columbus, Ohio and Mobile Railroad. Was taken prisoner at Holly Springs, but paroled twenty-four hours afterward. After the fall of Vicksburg left Mississippi and participated in the capture of Little Rock, Arkansas. Was sent to Fort Gibson, Indian Territory, in the spring of 1864, and did provost duty there until close of the war. He was promoted Second Lieutenant in 1863, and early in 1864 was commissioned First Lieutenant, and afterwards detailed as Acting Regimental Quartermaster, in which capacity he served till about one month before his term of service expired. Was mustered out as First Lieutenant, March 19, 1866. He returned to Charleston, Coles Co., Ill., where he engaged in the grocery business until May, 1870, when he came to Kansas, and located on a farm near Buffalo, Wilson County. Farmed two years, then served as Deputy Register of Deeds two years. He next moved to Topeka, and engaged in the real estate loan business two years; and, in the fall of 1876, moved to Humboldt and prosecuted the same business three years; then, in 1879, came to Fredonia; bought and rebuilt the mill, put in new and improved machinery, and operated the mill until the spring of 1882, then leased the mill, but retains the ownership. He is at present giving his personal attention to his grocery store on west side of public square. He was married in Decatur, Ill., December 7th, 1876, to Fannie M. Bales, by whom he has two children, viz.: -- Warren T. and Roy B. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, I. O. O. F., Knights of Honor and G. A. R. Is one of Fredonia's most successful and reliable business men.
JAMES WILEY, sale and livery stable, was born in England, August 6, 1819. Son of John and Elizabeth Wiley. When only twelve years of age, he came to America, and for about forty years lived in Newark, Ohio. He carried on a feed, sale and livery stable in that place, served as Constable seven years, Justice of the Peace three years and Provost eighteen months, during the early part of the war. He came direct from Newark to Kansas, in the spring of 1869. Farmed in Clifton Township four years, and has since been engaged in the livery business. He has served three years as Police Judge, and about seven years as Justice of the Peace, and is serving in both capacities at the present writing. He was married in Newark, Ohio, in 1839, to Alvira Riley, by whom he had four children, three of whom are living -- Jones R., in Kansas, John and Mrs. Emma Lyman, in Cincinnati. After the death of his first wife he was married a second time in Newark to Sarah A. Holden, by whom he had six children, four of whom are living -- Dr. F. M. Wiley, Mrs. Annetta J. Allen, Herbert J. Wiley and Mrs. Jessie Christman. His second wife died in 1874, and he was married again at Humboldt, Kansas, to Mrs. N. J. Clem, an estimable widow lady, daughter of Thomas and Caroline Brinkley. This union has been blessed with four children -- Paul, Walter T., Bertha and Mary. Mrs. Wiley has two children by her first husband -- Dekalb and Oscar Clem. Mr. Wiley is a man of good judgment and fine principles, a reliable business man and a conscientious official.