|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
AMOS M. ALLEN, Register of Deeds, and farmer, was the first child born to John C. and Keziah Allen, and was born November 11, 1835, in Tioga, Tioga Co., N. Y. His father was a farmer and the son was raised to the same business. His education was received in the public schools of his native county. He was married January 1, 1862, to Miss Amelia R. Cowden, by whom three children have been born to him: - Mabel, born May 20, 1866; Mertie, born February 19, 1868, and John C., born in April 1876. His father dying in 1872, upon the settlement of his estate, Amos M. Allen moved to Iowa, locating in Anamosa, Jones County, where he became engage in mercantile pursuits, and subsequently embarked in the wholesale millinery business. Declining health compelled him to retire from business, and he became traveling agent for the Singer Manufacturing Company. In the fall of 1880 he emigrated from Iowa to Kansas, and located upon a homestead claim in Trego County. He served as Trustee of the Township in which he resided, for the year 1882, and in November of that year was elected at the general election, to the office of Register of Deeds of the county, which position he now occupies.
JOHN F. ALLEN, Sheriff and farmer, was the sixth child and second son of James P. and Margaret M. Allen, and was born in the city of Chicago, October 1, 1847. His father was one of the very earliest settlers in Chicago, and was the first man to engage in the lumber business in that city. He attended the public schools of the city for a number of years, after which he entered the Douglas University, which he attended several terms, and there completing whatever educational training he received. Leaving the university, he assisted his father in his business, working at the books in the office, and attending to collections. Subsequently he became engaged in business himself, by starting a saw and planing-mill in Clark County, Wis. In 1875 he disposed of his Chicago mill and moved to Wisconsin, but failing health compelled him to sell out his Wisconsin mill the following year, and in 1877 he returned to Chicago. On his return to the city, he entered the detective service, in which he remained until in the spring of 1878, when the state of his health required a change of climate, and he moved to Kansas, locating near Wakeeney, being among the first settlers in Trego County. In company with Mr. Peck he opened a land office in Wakeeney and became engaged in the real estate business. At the first election held in Trego County, in July 1879, Mr. Allen was elected Sheriff, which office he has held continually ever since and still continues to hold. On November 9, 1870, John F. Allen and Mrs. Julia E. Boyer were joined in wedlock in the city of Chicago, by which marriage they have had three children - Laura C., born May 4, 1872, Frank Leroy, born February 27, 1874, died March 25, 1874 and Ellen F., born July 29, 1876. Besides being Sheriff, Mr. Allen is also a member of the Rocky Mountain Detective Association, and as such has had many desperate encounters with desperadoes and horse-thieves of the West, several times narrowly escaping with his life. There are few men whose names are better known to, and more feared by, desperadoes and law-breakers of the West than is that of John F. Allen, the Sheriff of Trego County.
WILLIS H. FUSON, Probate Judge and real estate agent. Willis H. Was the fourth son born to William S. and Sarah Fuson, his birth occurring on the 14th of February, 1843. His father was a native of Virginia, and his mother of Ohio. When four years old his parents moved to Fulton County, Ill., and settled upon a farm where Willis H. Resided until January 29, 1862, upon which day he enlisted in Company E, fifty-third Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was in the engagement at Shiloh, participated in the siege and capture of Corinth, was severely wounded through the right hand and wrist at the battle of big Hatchie in an engagement with the Rebels under Price and Van Dorn, by reason of which he was discharged for disability on March 3, 1863. His only means of obtaining an education before the war were those afforded by the common schools, but after leaving the service he attended Lombard University at Galesburg, Ill., during 1863 and 1864. Not having sufficient funds to enable him to pay his tuition until his studies were completed, he taught school for several terms to get the necessary means, and re-entering the university, he completed the course, and graduated in 1871. Leaving the university he became the principal of the graded schools at Bath, Ill., where he remained for one year, when he went to Summum and entered upon like duties. In the fall of 1873 he became engaged as principal of the graded school at Yates City, Ill. In 1874, he was married to Miss Annie L. Nelson, a native of Sweden, who is also a graduate of Lombard University. While in charge of the school at Yates City he found time to read law, and at the close of the school engagement he moved to Galesburg, where he completed his law studies, and in September 1876, was admitted to the bar and practiced his profession in Galesburg until the fall of 1878, when he moved with his family to Kansas, locating in Wakeeney, Trego County. Mr. Fuson took an active part in the settlement and development of the county and upon the organization of the county, in June, 1879, he was appointed by the governor as one of the first County Commissioners. At the first election held in the county, in 1879, he was elected Probate Judge, which office he has held without interruption from that time to the present. By his marriage with Miss Nelson, two children have been born to them, a daughter and a son, the former born at Galesburg, Ill., March 9, 1877, and the latter at Wakeeney, Trego County, Kan., May 18, 1881.
BENJAMIN J. F. HANNA, Register of the United States Land Office, was born in Golconda, Pope County, Ill., February 24, 1825. He was the only son of John C. And Lucy G. Hanna. His father was a native of Tennessee, and lived to reach the ripe ago of eighty-two years, and died in Leavenworth, Kan., on the 25th day of April, 1874. His mother is still living in Salina, Saline County, Kan., and has attained the age of eight years. The boyhood days of Captain Hanna were passed in the locality of Illinois, known as Egypt, where ample opportunities were given him for muscular development, while the log schoolhouses of that early day were the only means of acquiring an education within his reach. From 1841 until 1845 his time was devoted to working on the farm in summer, and teaching school in winter, but in the latter year he entered a printing office at Sparta, Ill., where he learned the printing trade. With a thorough knowledge of printing in all its branches, and possessor of a pocketbook containing about $5 in money, he moved to Chester, Randolph County, Ill., where, in 1849, he established a newspaper, known as the Chester Herald, but in the following year his office and material were totally destroyed by fire. He immediately purchased a new press and other office material, and the issuance of the paper was continued without interruption. In 1856 he disposed of his interest in the Herald and what other interest he had in Chester, and moved to Alton, where he took charge of the editorial department of the Alton Courier, which position he occupied until the commencement of the war in 1861, when he severed his connection with the paper, and entered the service of the government. In November, 1862, he was appointed Quartermaster of United States Volunteers, with rank of Captain, by President Lincoln, which appointment the Senate confirmed, and from that time until January, 1866, his post of duty was in the States of Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, and Alabama. After leaving the service, he removed to Kansas, locating in Salina, Saline County, where he established The Salina Herald, the first number of the paper appearing February 16, 1867. Captain Hanna was appointed Register of the United States Land Office at Hays City, November 10, 1877, and was re-appointed January 24, 1882. In 1849 he connected himself with the I. O. O. F. And has held, at various times, the highest offices in the order, having served as Grand Master and Grand Patriarch, and also two terms as Representative in the Grand Lodge of the United States. He has also passed all the degrees pertaining to American Rite Masonry, and in 1878-79 was R. E. Grand Commander of Knights Templar, of Kansas. At Chester, Ill., on the 3rd day of August, 1849, B. J. F. Hanna was joined in wedlock to Miss Margaret Phillips, a native of Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland. By this marriage they have five children - Edwin P., born at Chester, Ill., December 23, 1850, and married at Salina, Saline County, Kan., to Louisa J. Hines, April 2, 1872, and who is now private secretary to the Secretary of the Interior, at Washington, D. C., which position he has held under Secretaries Schurz, Kirkwood and Teller. Franklin R., born August 15, 1854; died March 28, 1857. Christina A., born at Chester, Ill., July 22, 1857, and married to Wm. H. Dann, at Salina, Kan., December 25, 1876. Benjamin W., born at Alton, Ill., June 12, 1860, and married to Imogen A. Cole, at Washington, D. C., May 30, 1882; is now employed as private secretary to the Secretary of the Navy, which position he has held for two years. Lucie M., born at Chest, Ill., July 22, 1864, and married to B. F. Morgan, at Wakeeney, Trego County, Kan., May 22, 1882.
JOSEPH LUCAS, merchant, was born in Jersey County, Ill., February 8, 1835, and was the third child born to Napoleon B. and Lydia Lucas. His paternal grandfather was twice Governor of Ohio, and the first Governor of the Territory of Iowa. His father was a farmer, and Joseph remained at home until he was twenty-three years old, attending the public schools until he was well advanced toward his majority, after which all his time was devoted to farm work. In 1858 he started out for himself, going to Madison County, Ill., where he engaged in farming. While thus engaged the war broke out, and he enlisted for three months in Company F, Seventh Illinois Infantry. At the end of his term of service he re-enlisted for three years in Company G, Forty-ninth Illinois Infantry. His three-years' term of service expiring, he again re-enlisted, and served until September, 1865, when he was mustered out with his regiment at Paducah, Ky., after having served four years and six months. He was present at, and took part in, the following engagements: Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Little Rock; was with the force that accompanied Gen. Sherman in his expedition into Alabama; also with Gen. Banks in his Red River expedition. He was engaged in the attack on Fort Darouche, the battles of Pleasant Hill, Tallahatchie, Franklin, Nashville, and several severe skirmishes. Upon his first re-enlistment he was appointed Third Sergeant; February 1, 1865, he was promoted to Orderly Sergeant; April 20, of the same year he was commissioned as Second Lieutenant, and in August, 1865, was appointed acting Adjutant of the regiment, which position he held when mustered out. Leaving the army he returned to Jersey County, Ill., where he resumed farming, and in 1868 moved to Kansas, settling in Jefferson County, locating on the quarter-section of land he purchased of the railroad company. In 1877 he moved to Lawrence, Kan., where he became engaged in the hardware and implement business, in which he remained until April, 1878, when he sold out his business and became traveling agent for the McCormick Reaper Company. In December, 1879, he moved to Wakeeney, Trego County, where he is now engaged in the furniture business, and also that of boots and shoes. In October, 1881, he was appointed Sheriff of Trego County, to fill an unexpired term, and is now holding the position of Under Sheriff. In Jersey County, Ill., June 30, 1864, while at home on a veteran furlough, he was married to Miss Catherine Aulthouse, the issue of this marriage being Georgiana, born July 6, 1866, and died August 10, 1867; Elmer E., born May 19, 1868; William P., the survivor of twins, born February 3, 1870; Mary Alice, born January 3, 1872; Ross, born February 1, 1876, and died January 26, 1880; Albert M., born August 22, 1877, and Ethel May, born April 18, 1881.
GEORGE PINKHAM, County Clerk, farmer, and proprietor of whiting works, was born in the city of Detroit, Mich., April 3, 1846. While yet a child, his parents moved to Port Huron, where George passed his boyhood days, and grew to that age in life that marks the dividing line between boyhood and manhood. His father, George W. Pinkham, was a merchant, and the time George had to spare from school was given to the assistance of his father in business. His early education was received in the public schools of Port Huron, leaving which he attended the Ypsilanti Seminary for several terms. Leaving the seminary in 1864, he went to Oconto, Wis., where he taught four terms. In December, 1865, he moved to Kansas, and located at Fort Hays, in Ellis County, where he was engaged as clerk in the commissariat department at the fort, and where he remained until the winter of 1866, when he removed to Fort Dodge, where he was similarly employed until the summer of 1867, when he joined a company in the United States service known as Forsyth's Scouts. Was engaged in several severe engagements with the Indians in Kansas, and accompanied Generals Sheridan and Custer in their expedition against the Indians in the Indian Territory in 1868. In the spring of 1869 the company was disbanded, and for the following five years the business he followed was quite diversified, doing whatever he found most convenient for his hands to do. In 1874 he was employed by the Kansas Pacific Railway Company as a painter, and had charge of the painting work on the Smoky Hill division of the road. He remained in the employ of the company until 1877, and while thus employed he discovered a chalk bed in Trego County, and shortly afterwards quit the employ of the company and took a homestead claim and located thereon, the chalk bed being embraced in the land upon which he filed his homestead claim, and which he immediately began to utilize by erecting whiting works, which he is now operating quite successfully. Mr. Pinkham was the first County Clerk of Trego County, having been appointed by the Governor in June, 1879, when the county was first organized, to which office he was afterwards elected at the special election held in July. From January, 1880, until January, 1882, his entire time was devoted to the manufacture of whiting; but having been again elected, in November, 1881, to the office of County Clerk, he entered upon the duties of the office in January, 1882, and is now serving in that capacity. On December, 29, 1877, Mr. Pinkham was married in the city of St. Louis, by Rev. Dr. Betts, to Miss Matilda Upton, a native of New York State. They have three children - Minnie Maud, born September 18, 1879; Charles F., born February 24, 1881, and Bessie May, born May 4, 1882.
GEORGE TIPPLE STONEX, County Treasurer and farmer. The parents of George T. Stonex were William and Elizabeth Stonex, both natives of England. George T. Was born in the city of London, Eng., September, 26, 1820. He came with his parents to the United States in March, 1830, and located in Westchester, Chester County, Pa., where they remained until 1833, when they removed to Lancaster County. In the spring of 1835 the family moved to Dearborn County, Ind., where they lived about nineteen years. George T. Received his education in the common schools of London and Pennsylvania. In July, 1861, he enlisted in the Thirty-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was elected to the rank of First Lieutenant of Company F in said regiment. He served all through the Missouri and Arkansas campaigns under Generals Siegel and Curtis until after the battle of Pea Ridge, when he went with his regiment to Shiloh. He participated in the siege of Corinth, after the capture of which, on account of his family, he resigned and returned home. Subsequently he was appointed Deputy Provost-Marshal, and was assigned to duty in the secret service of the Government, his field of service being chiefly in Illinois, remaining in this service until finally discharged at the close of the war. Returning to civil life, he engaged in the mercantile business in Mendota, Ill., where he remained for two years, when he sold out and removed to Dwight, where he established himself in the hardware business, where he remained for several years, until failing health compelled him to seek other pursuits, and disposing of his business he engaged in farming. On May 18, 1844, he was married to Miss Kate B. Peterson in Franklin County, Ind., but no issue followed the marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Stonex, however, have had quite a large family of children by adoption, raising three to manhood and womanhood, and four others for a number of years. One of their adopted sons was captured at Cedar Mountain and died in camp. In September, 1878, Mr. Stonex moved from Douglas County, Ill., to Kansas, and located in the eastern part of Trego County, and in November, 1879, was elected Treasurer of the county, and two years afterwards was re-elected to the same office, and is now serving on his second term; and in addition to his other duties and business, he has been given much of his time to the service of the church, having been a minister in the Methodist Episcopal Church for twenty-two years, and with which he is still connected.
WINFIELD S. TILTON, proprietor of the Wakeeney World, was born of poor but respectable parents in Effingham County, Ill., May 27, 1848. His father, Elijah Tilton, was a physician, born in Ohio in 1822; his mother was a school teacher, who was born in the State of New York. His parents moved to Fayette County, Ill., when he was two years of age. In 1860, his parents moved to Minnesota, where he farmed under his father's direction and went to school. In 1862 his parents moved to Central Iowa. In 1863 he enlisted in Company H, Ninth Iowa Cavalry, and served twenty-seven months, until the mustering out of the regiment. He returned to Des Moines, Iowa, where he attended school in 1866, then taught school awhile. He received a commission as Lieutenant of Company L., Nineteenth Kansas Cavalry, in the fall of 1868, and served with the regiment in the Indian Territory and Western Kansas until its muster out in the following spring. He was married the following December to Miss Annie M. Wilcox, of Miami County, Kan., who died in 1873. They have had two children. In 1871 he worked as a compositor on the La Cygne, Kan., Journal. He then went to Mound City, in the same county, and the same year, and for eighteen months worked as compositor, associate editor and editor on the Border Sentinel. In 1874 he was traveling agent, correspondent and city editor of the Leavenworth Daily Times. The same year he went to Sedalia, Mo.; worked as a compositor, and for a time conducted the Daily Republican. In 1875 he was one of two to start the Stone County Bowlder, at Galena, Mo.; then went to Carroll County, Ark., where he ran the Carroll County Bowlder, at Carrollton. In 1877 was married to Miss Jessie McClure, of Carroll County, Ark., by whom he has three children. In March, 1879, he started the Wakeeney Weekly World, which he has conducted ever since. In 1880 was appointed Paymaster-General of Kansas militia, with the rank of Colonel, by Gov. St. John.