William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


[TOC] [part 11] [part 9] [Cutler's History]


This regiment was organized March 27, 1882, under the following officers:

Field and Staff - Colonel, Edward Lynde, Grasshopper Falls; Lieutenant Colonel, Charles S. Clarke Iola; Major, James M. Pomeroy; Adjutant, Luin K. Thacher, Kansas City; Quartermaster, William Rosenthal, Lawrence; Surgeon, Henry C. Bostick, Iola; Chaplain, Gilbert S. Northrup.

Line Officers. - Company A, Captain, George F. Earl and First Lieutenant, Joshua A. Pike, both of Lawrence; Second Lieutenant, Albert D. Searle, Bloomington. Company B, Captain, Asaph Allen, Lawrence; First Lieutenant, Lemuel T. Heritage, and Second Lieutenant, Robert Madden, both of Emporia. Company C, Captain, John E. Stewart, First Lieutenant, John Bowles, and Second Lieutenant, Washington J. Buchanan, all of Lawrence. Company D, Captain, Charles F. Coleman, First Lieutenant, Anderson C. Smith, and Second Lieutenant, Avery T. Spencer, all of Geneva. Company E, Captain, Henry Flesher, First Lieutenant, Claudius M. Meek, and Second Lieutenant, Jesse Parsons, all of Iola. Company F, Captain, Benjamin F. Goss, and First Lieutenant, Isaac W. Dow, both of Neosho Falls; Second Lieutenant, Henry H. Opdyke, Leroy. Company G, Captain, Willoughby Doudna, Humboldt; First Lieutenant, Lewis C. Thomson, Verdigris; Second Lieutenant, John N. Walkup, Humboldt. Company H, Captain, Thomas P. Killen, and First Lieutenant, James W. Christian, both of Carlyle; Second Lieutenant, Horatio N. F. Reed, Central City. Company I, Captain, Horatio N. F. Reed. Central City; First Lieutenant, Mathew Cowley; Second Lieutenant, Albert S. W. Knapper, Leavenworth. Company K, Captain, Thomas M. Bowen, and First Lieutenant, John D. Wells, both of Marysville; Second Lieutenant, Francis N. Sales, Louisville. Company L, Captain, John I. De Lashmutt, Council Grove; First Lieutenant, James L. Arnold. Iola; Second Lieutenant, Charles C. Southard, Geneva. Company M, Captain, William W. P. McConnell, Neosho Falls; First Lieutenant, Stephen L. Kenyon, Cottonwood; Second Lieutenant, John L. Price, Auburn.

The four new companies of the Ninth were organized under the following officers: New Company A, Captain, Amzi J. Steele, Bloomington; First Lieutenant, Lorendus B. Conant, Prairie City; Second Lieutenant, Robert C. Philbrick, Delaware. New Company B, Captain, Henry Brandley, Bazaar; First Lieutenant, Joseph L. Dennison, Iola; Second Lieutenant, Lewis McHone, Emporia. New Company C, Captain. J. Milton Hadley, Monticello; First Lieutenant, David M. Hester, Centralia; Second Lieutenant, Henry B. Hall, Humboldt. New Company D, Captain, Jeremiah R. Sencenich, Geneva; First Lieutenant, Lewis Edmunson, Iola; Second Lieutenant, Aaron M. Thomas, Lancaster.

The final organization of the Ninth was effected by consolidating and organizing the Iola Battalion, raised in Southern Kansas, with detachments of the First Battalion Kansas Cavalry, the Third Kansas and the Eighth Kansas Volunteers. The place of rendezvous for these companies was Fort Leavenworth, where, also, the regiment was organized, and from whence the companies were detached to various posts of duty. Company A was ordered on escort duty, to Fort Union, New Mexico; Company B was sent into the mountains of Northern Colorado, to build Fort Halleck ; Company C was sent to Fort Riley; Company G to Fort Lyon, Colo.; and Company I to Fort Laramie, Kan. The detachments on the plains were, for a long time, engaged in the defense of the overland mail routes, and the protection of the parties of immigrants to the more remote Territories, one detachment proceeding northwest as far as Montana Territory, and the other having its station along the Santa Fe route. The four companies, D, E, F and H, under Maj. Bancroft, formed a part of the expedition into the Indian country, and under Col. Lynde, were engaged during a part of August, 1862, in pursuing the force of Gen. Coffey through Western Missouri.

On the morning of the 30th of September, Col. Lynde, with his command, participated in the attack on the rebel force, under Gens. Cooper and Rains, near Newtonia, Mo. The attack was unsuccessful - a part of our force being obliged to retreat, leaving the remainder surrounded by the enemy. The cavalry covered the retreat as far as possible, and a portion of the Sixth Kansas coming up, the rebels were driven from their position.

During November, the Ninth was engaged in escort duty between Fort Scott and Cane Hill, and in the advance of Gen. Hindman toward Fayetteville, was sent with the rest of the cavalry to guard Gen. Blunt's supply train at Rhea's Mills. It joined in the pursuit of the rebels to Van Buren, and on the return of the army to Rhea's Mills, was ordered to escort the supply train to Fort Scott.

On the 17th of June, 1863, Maj. L. K. Thacher, then in command at Paola, was ordered by Gen. Thomas Ewing, to move with three companies of the Ninth to Kansas City, which place was threatened with a guerrilla raid, under Todd and Parker. Capt. Flesher, with Company E and a portion of Company K, being absent on a scout, Maj. Thacher proceeded to escort Company A and the remaining portion of Company K, sending orders to Capt. Flesher to join him at that point.

Capt. Flesher, in obedience to command, marched toward Kansas City, but on arriving near Westport, was surprised by a large force of guerrillas, who were concealed behind the stone fences, which, half hidden in thick underbrush and dense foliage, lined either side of the road. The attack was so sudden, and the first volley so rapidly followed by a charge of mounted guerrillas, that the command of Capt. Flesher was forced back the narrow, hemmed-in road, until an open space was reached where it could be re-formed, and make a successful resistance. The guerrillas were finally repulsed, but with very serious loss to Capt. Flesher's command. A courier had carried the news of the attack to Kansas City, and Maj. Thacher with his command arrived at the scene of the ambuscade in season to pursue the rebels, and capture their camp equipage and horses, but too late to be of assistance to their own comrades.

During the remainder of the summer, the Ninth was stationed along the border, engaged in almost incessant encounters with bushwhackers and guerrillas, some of the companies becoming such adepts in that species of warfare that they could rival the enemy in daring, endurance and skill, even if they willingly fell behind in ferocity and cruelty.

In August, 1868, the Ninth participated in the pursuit of Quantrell, after his raid on Lawrence, Capts. Coleman and Pike with their companies following and fighting portions of the band, until they were securely concealed in the forests and ravines of Missouri.

On the retreat of Gens. Shelby and Coffey through Western Missouri toward Warrensburg in the fall of 1863, they were pursued by Gen. Ewing's force, to which a part of the Ninth was attached. The rebels were overtaken between Warrensburg and Carthage, and after some resistance, their rear guard was dislodged from its position by Lieut. Col. Clarke and Maj. Thacher of the Ninth, and the pursuit continued to Carthage, where a feeble resistance was again made, Capt. Earle, with Company A, captured the outposts and charging into the town took a large number of prisoners, continuing the pursuit through Neosho, and into Arkansas, until the enemy had retreated to the south of the Boston Mountains. Gen. Ewing's main command returned from Neosho to Fort Scott, and were rejoined at that point by the detachment of the Ninth, when the pursuit was abandoned.

In the spring of 1864, the Ninth, numbering 1,200 men at the time, was assigned to the army of Gen. Steele, and ordered to march for Little Rock, Ark. On reaching Springfield, Mo., the destination of the regiment was changed to Fort Smith on the Arkansas River, and the march proved a severe one from extreme scarcity of both food and water, the horses and mules suffering even more than the men. Arriving at Fort Smith, orders were found directing the regiment to report immediately to Little Rock, which were again countermanded when it reached Clarksville and once more it was ordered to Fort Smith to repel a threatened attack on the post. After the anticipated danger was past, the Ninth went into camp on Hazzard Prairie, and during the summer months was engaged in scouting and reconnaissance duty. Maj. Thacher, Maj. Doudna and Lieut. Col. Clarke, with portions of the regiment, made expeditions into the surrounding country to a distance sometimes of one hundred miles, and by their energy and determination generally succeeded accomplishing the objects for which the enterprise was undertaken.

In July, the regiment was ordered to Little Rock, where it arrived on the 14th, and went into camp, being immediately engaged in active service against the numerous bands that, under Shelby, Marmaduke and other noted rebel leaders, constantly threatened the railroads leading to Little Rock from the north. The Ninth formed a part of the command, that under Lieut. Col. Clarke, met Shelby's force at Bull Bayou, Ark. The rebels made a stand on the bank of the stream, and were charged by two dismounted battalions of the Ninth - the right, led by Maj. Pomeroy, rushing across the stream and charging impetuously up the bank, and the left, led by Maj. Thacher, crossing the bridge and attacking the rebel right. All resistance was soon overcome and the enemy were pursued until their forces were thoroughly scattered and demoralized, and, for a time at least, communication with the other Union posts in Arkansas rendered safe.

The regiment remained on duty at Little Rock and Duvall's Bluff until its term of service expired, some of the companies returning to Leavenworth in the fall of 1864, to be mustered out of service, and some remaining at Duvall's Bluff until the summer of 1865, when they were mustered out at that place.


Company A - Killed while on detached service, Oliver P. Willett, Prairie City.

Company B - Killed by guerrillas, December 9, 1863, while on detached service, Corp. Peter Shafer.

Company C - Killed at Drywood, Mo., September 2, 1861, William Henry (bugler), Lawrence, at Cabin Creek, C. N.; David Burhle, Big Stranger, Maple Creek, Mo.; Peter Wyland, DeSoto, Fayetteville, Ark., and Joseph Lee, Elmendaro.

Company D - Killed at Spring River, Mo., February 19, 1863, Second Lieutenant Avery T. Spencer, Geneva, and John W. Borror; at Newtonia, Mo., September 30, 1862, William H. Wray, Geneva.

Company E - Killed at Westport, Mo., June 7, 1868, Corporal John S. Kirkpatrick, Carlyle; Corporal Alexander E. Needham and Privates Charles Beauvois, William Grimes, Joseph Jackson, Isaac S. Brubaker, and Andrew M. Deal, all of Iola; Josiah Hayes, Kansas City; Henry Masters, Leavenworth, and Edward Walters, killed at Bull Bayou. Ark., August 26, 1864; Peter Clemor, Osage Mission. Died of wounds: Marion Brown, Iola; and Anthony Lambert, of wounds received near Westport, Mo.; James R. Dohoney, Iola, of wounds received at Sarcoxie, Mo.

Company F - Killed at Frog Bayou, Ark., July 1, 1864, Sergeant John P. Harrington.

Company G - Killed at Fayetteville, Ark., June 24, 1864, Branden W. Cowden, Humboldt.

Company H - Killed at Locust Grove, C. N., July 3, 1862, Corporal Joseph McClintock, Ottumwa; at Baxter's Springs, Kan., January 8, 1862, George A. Ela, Iola; at Newtonia, Mo., September 30, 1862, William Skinner, Elizabethtown.

Company I - Killed at Whitten's Mills, Ark., October 8, 1864, Corporal James B. Perry; killed by guerrillas near Clarksville, Ark., Francis Doregas, Santa Fe, N. M.

Company K - Killed at Westport, Mo., June 17, 1863, Corporal John N. Cosner, Mount Vernon, Neb.; Alva J. Cosner, Mount Vernon, Neb.; William H. Musson, Mole Hill, Va.; James McCormack, Blue Rapids. Killed by guerrillas, Corporal Thomas J. Bell, Centralia; Casper H. Schroeder, Barrett's P. O.; John Lunn, Barrett's P. O. Died of wounds received in action, George W. Phillips, Manhattan.

Company M - Killed at Bull Bayou, Ark., August 29, 1864, John L. Empson, Woodson County; Isaac Wilson, Humboldt; and William McElhany, Fort Smith, Ark.

[TOC] [part 11] [part 9] [Cutler's History]