|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
VI. - THOMAS A. OSBORN.
Thomas A. Osborn, sixth Governor of the State of Kansas, was born at Meadville, Penn., on the 26th of October, 1836. He attended the common schools of the neighborhood during his early years, and at the age of fifteen entered a compositor's office to earn his livelihood, starting at the foot of the ladder, by carrying newspapers for the office. He served a full apprenticeship in this printing office, and having during the time acquired sufficient education, entered Allegheny College, paying his way by his labors at the case during vacations. In 1856, he commenced the study of law with Judge Derrickson, of Meadville, and the following year removed to Michigan and was there admitted to the bar. In November, 1857, he migrated to Kansas, and began his career in the territory as a compositor in the office of the Herald of Freedom, Lawrence. He was soon promoted to foreman, and in March, 1858, the editor of the paper, after a two weeks' absence, expressed his thanks "to his worthy foreman, T. A. Osborn, Esq., for the very satisfactory manner he has conducted its columns." He commenced the practice of law at Elwood, Doniphan County, in the spring of 1858, and soon acquired a fine reputation in his chosen profession. Politically, he was a strong Republican and Free-State man, and was elected, in 1859, Senator form Doniphan County to the first State Legislature, taking his seat in 1861.
In 1862, he was chosen President pro tem of the Senate during the absence of the Lieutenant Governor, and served in that position during the impeachment trial of Gov. Robinson and others. In the fall of the same year, he was elected Lieutenant governor, his competitor being Hon. J. J. Ingalls'. In 1864, he was appointed United States Marshal in Kansas by President Lincoln, and occupied that position until 1867, residing during and after his term of office at Leavenworth. In the fall of 1872, he accepted the nomination as Governor of Kansas, and was elected by a majority of 34,000. He was inaugurated January 13, 1873, and served two terms, the second ending January 8, 1877. He was commissioned as Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary to Chili, May 31, 1877, by President Hayes. His residence was Santiago. In 1881, he was promoted to the Brazilian Mission, his residence being Rio de Janeiro. He has visited Kansas twice since engaged in foreign service, the last time in December, 1882.
VII. - GEORGE T. ANTHONY.
George T. Anthony, seventh Governor of the State of Kansas, was born in Mayfield, Fulton Co., N. Y., on June 9, 1824, of Orthodox Quaker parents. He received a limited school education, working on the farm in summers and attending school winters, from the age of twelve to eighteen years. Apprenticed to the tin and coppersmith trade at Union Springs, Cayuga Co., N. Y., at the age of nineteen years, he followed that trade as a workman five years, then served two years as a clerk in a hardware store at Ballston Spa, N. Y., and removed to Medina, N. Y., in 1850.
He was married to Rosa A. Lyon, at Medina, N. Y., December 14, 1852, and engaged in the business of hardware, tin and stoves at that place, and in the manufacture of stoves and agricultural implements for nine years, and subsequently in the commission business in New York City; also three years a loan commissioner for Orleans County, N. Y.
He was selected as one of a committee of seven, by request of Gov. Morgan, of New York, to raise and organize troops under the call of July 2, 1862, in the Twenty-eighth District of that State, embracing the counties of Orleans, Niagara and Genesee. He was authorized August 18, 1862, to recruit an independent battery of light artillery of six guns, subsequently known as the Seventeenth New York Independet (sic) Battery, filling the ranks to the maximum number in four days, and was mustered into the service as Captain with the battery August 26, 1862, and proceeded at once to Washington. He served with his battery till the close of the war, between Washington and Richmond, and in front of Petersburg and Richmond, being with the Eighteenth Army Corps, during the last year of the war. He was brevetted Major for services in the last campaign to Appomattox Court House, and was mustered out of the service at Richmond, Va., June 12, 1865. He removed from Rochester, N. Y., to Kansas in November, 1865, and was editor of the Leavenworth Daily Bulletin and of the Leavenworth Daily Conservative two years and a half, and editor and publisher of the Kansas Farmer for six years. He was appointed United States Internal Revenue Assistant Assessor in December, 1867, and Collector of Internal Revenue, July 11, 1868. He was President of the Kansas State Board of Agriculture for three years, and of the Board of Centennial Managers for the State of Kansas for two years, holding the three last named positions at the time of his election to the office of Governor, on November 7, 1876. Gov. Anthony, since the expiration of his term of office in 1879, has continued to reside at Leavenworth, being employed much of the time in a responsible position in connection with the extension of the great Santa Fe Railroad system through New Mexico and into old Mexico.
VII. - JOHN P. ST. JOHN.
John P. St. John, eighth Governor of the State of Kansas, was born in the town of Brookfield, Franklin Co., Ind., February 25, 1833. The family are of Huguenot descent. His grandfather, Daniel St. John, was a native of Luzerene County, Penn. He entered the ministry in his early manhood, and for sixty years was one of the foremost ministers of the Universalist denomination, preaching with unfaltering courage and unswerving faith the doctrines he had espoused, and illustrating their purity by a guileless and untarnished reputation. He was the contemporary and friend of Murray, Ballou, Streeter and Thomas, and is affectionately and reverently numbered with them as one of the American fathers of the denomination. He was also a Freemanson, and, at the time of his death, which occurred in Broad Ripple, Ind., was the oldest member of the order in the State.
Samuel St. John, the father of the subject of the present sketch, was born in Orange County, N. Y. He subsequently removed to Brookville, Franklin County, Ind., and engaged in farming. He was a man of more than ordinary natural ability, and of sterling worth. His wife, Sophia Snell, was of English extraction, possessed of rare intelligence, a thorough education, and a character, tempered and adorned by the daily practice of all the Christian virtues.
The early educational advantages of the farmer's children, in the rural districts of Indiana forty years ago, were certainly not encouraging to the ambitious student, being confined to two short terms each year, taught by such instructors as the limited means of the inhabitants could command. The early education of the subject of this sketch was acquired under these circumstances, not exceptional or unknown to the great majority of eminent men of America. He soon mastered the elementary branches taught in the district schools, and while yet a youth, entered a store with the purpose of acquiring the means for the further prosecution of his studies. While there he continued the study of such practical branches of knowledge as seemed to him desirable to fit him for a business life. In 1852, he removed to California, and engaged, on his arrival, in anything that might offer - woodchopping, steam-boating, mining, merchandising, etc. He remained on the Pacific Slope some eight years - years of adventure, hardship, danger and toil if not of profit. During that time he niade (sic) voyages to Central America, South America, Mexico, Oregon, and the Sandwich Islands. He was engaged in the Indian wars of Northern California, and Southern Oregon, in 1852-53, in which he suffered all the hardships and perils of Indian warfare, being several times wounded while in that service.
During his mining-life in California, his long-cherished predilection for the legal profession ripened into a definite purpose. He accordingly procured a few elementary law books, and under conditions calculated to daunt the ardor of one less determined, he commenced his law studies in his mining camp, reading each evening after the close of the day's labor, by the light of a burning pine knot or the camp fire. Thus he pursued his studies assiduously for two years.
In 1860, he returned, rich in the inestimable knowledge which such a varied experience could not fail to give, quite well read in the elementary branches of jurisprudence, with but little more of this world's goods than when he set out eight years before, but fully armed and equipped with the manly weapons of success - honesty, ambitious and earnest endeavor. He immediately entered the office of the law firm of Starkweather & McLain, Charleston, Ill., as a law student, and at the expiration of one year, was admitted to practice at the bar, and became a member of the firm above mentioned. Soon after, at the breaking-out of the war, he enlisted as a private in Company C, Sixty-eighth Regiment Illinois Infantry. The regiment was, on being mustered into service, sent to Alexandria, Va., where St. John was assigned to detached duty as assistant Adjutant general. He remained at Alexandria in this capacity till the term of his regiment expired (November, 1862), when he returned with it, and was mustered out of service at Camp Butler, Illinois. At Camp Mattoon, Illinois, he was placed in command of troops being rendezvoused there, with the rank of Captain, and, on the completion of the organization of the One Hundred and Forty-third Illinois - Dudley C. Smith, Colonel commanding - was elected Lieutenant colonel of that regiment. The regiment's whole term of service was spent in the Mississippi Valley. Col. St. John continued in the service till 1864, when he returned to private life and resumed the practice of law in connection with Judge McLain, the surviving partner of the old firm of which he had been a member before entering the military service.
In February, 1865, he removed with his family to Independence, Mo., where he first became prominent as a politician, and as a most effective and popular orator. During his residence of four years at that point, he took an active part, in the political campaign of 1868, making an effective and vigorous canvass of Western Missouri, in behalf of the nominees of the Republican party, of which he has ever been an unswerving and ardent member.
In May, 1869, Mr. St. John removed to Olathe, Kan., and established a law firm in connection with M. V. B. Parker, under the name of St. John & Parker. He continued practice as a member of this firm until 1875, at which time it was dissolved by mutual consent. Sometime afterward he formed a copartnership with Hon. I. O. Pickering, of Olathe, Kan., which still exists, and continued in the practice of his profession till pressing public duties forced its relinquishment.
His prominence as a man of affairs in public life seems to have come to him unsought, and as the result of circumstances entirely outside his individual purpose or designs. Up to 1872, he had devoted himself strictly to the duties of his profession, giving only such attention to political affairs as is common with all intelligent and patriotic voters. He had administration of town affairs. As an ardent Republican, he had done gratuitous but acceptable work on the stump during the canvass of 1868. In 1872, he filled his first position as a legislator, being at that time elected as State Senator from Johnson County. He at once took a leading rank, both on the floor, as a debater, and in the committee rooms, as an efficient business member. He served at different times on the Committees on Appropriation and the Judiciary, and filled many other important positions.
At the expiration of his term he was tendered a re-nomination, which he declined, and again gave his undivided attention to the practice of his profession.
As a reformer and moralist, Mr. St. John has always cherished positive convictions, in the advocacy of which he early became identified with the temperance movement, and was, from the beginning, a sturdy and fearless advocate of the principle of prohibitive legislation as the only practical remedy for the evil of intemperance. So, when the question came to be an issue in the politics of Kansas, he was early recognized as the fit exponent and defender of the then unpopular doctrine. The Kansas State Temperance convention accordingly nominated him as its candidate for Governor of the state in 1876. He declined the nomination, although in full accord with the convention on the issue it presented. The same fall, he was on the first ballot in the Republican Convention the leading gubernatorial candidate. On the seventh ballot he withdrew his name, which resulted in the nomination and subsequent election of Hon. George T. Anthony as Governor of Kansas.
Two years later, at the Republican State Convention, held at Topeka August 28, 1878, Mr. St. John received the Republican nomination for Governor. The campaign was brilliant and effective, and considering the distracting element of a third party, which drew largely from the Republican ranks, was one of the most decisive political victories ever achieved in the State. The popular vote was: St. John, Republican, 74,020; Goodin, Democrat, 37,208; Mitchell, Greenback, 27,057.
In 1880, in a total vote of 198,238, St. John was re-elected by a majority over the next highest candidate of 51,647, and a majority over all of 32,170, a fact which shows how satisfactory to the people had been the manner in which he had discharged the duties of his office during his first term.
In 1879 began the great exodus of colored people from the Southern States to Kansas. Gov. St. John at once took an active interest in their behalf, and through his influence, personal and official, the necessities of thousands of these destitute and suffering people were relieved and themselves placed in a position to become self-sustaining.
In 1882, his friends, contrary to the traditions of the party, nominated him as Governor for a third term. Like Grant, and many others whom the country delights to honor, his great name and good deeds did not weigh against the prejudices of the time, and he failed of a re-election.
He stands to-day in his unofficial position foremost among his countrymen, as the national exponent and defender of the prohibitive principle, as applied to the sale of intoxicating drinks. His career seems just begun.
IX. - GEORGE W. GLICK.
The ninth Governor of this State of Kansas, Hon. George W. Glick, of Atchison, was inaugurated on the 8th of January, 1883, the 68th anniversary of the battle of New Orleans. Gov. Glick was the first Democratic Governor ever elected in Kansas. He was born at Greencastle, Fairfield County, Ohio, July 4, 1872. On the paternal side, he is of German descent. Henry Glick, his great-grandfather, was one of five brothers who left their beautiful Rhine in the ante-revolutionary war period, and settled in Pennsylvania, all of them being soldiers in the war of the Revolution. George Glick, the grandfather of the Governor, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was severely wounded in the battle of Fort Meigs. Isaac Glick, Governor Glick's father, resides at Fremont, Sandusky County, Ohio; he has been a prominent farmer and stock raiser, and for three consecutive terms held the office of Treasurer of Sandusky County, having the reputation of a man of excellent business qualifications, and of the highest integrity. George Sanders, his grandfather on the maternal side, was of Scotch origin. He was a Captain in the war of 1812, and bore the marks of his bravery in bodily wounds of a serious nature. Mary (Sanders) Glick, his mother, is a lady of high culture, and in her Christian charities an observer of the command of the Great Teacher, "Let not thy left hand know what they right hand doeth."
George W. Glick was a studious boy; acquiring a good English education. His scholastic attainments embraced a good knowledge of the higher mathematics and of the languages, which substantial superstructure has enabled him to become a "man of affairs," and to succeed in his general undertakings.
The family removed to Lower Sandusky (now Fremont), when George was five years of age, and after completing his school education, he entered the law office of the firm of Buckland (Ralph P.) and Hayes (Rutherford B.), studying there two years. He was admitted to the bar by the Supreme Court at Cincinnati, Ohio, having passed a thorough examination in connection with the Cincinnati Law School students.
He commenced the practice of law at Fremont, and soon acquired the fame of a conscientious, painstaking, industrious lawyer, which secured him a large practice at Fremont, and later at Sandusky City, where his residence was prior to coming to Kansas. The Congressional Convention of the Democratic party of his district placed him in nomination for Congress in 1858, but he declined the honor in presence of the Convention, but later, accepted the nomination for State Senator, his preceptor, Mr. Buckland, being his opponent. Though defeated, he ran nearly 2,000 votes ahead of his party ticket. He was elected Judge Advocate General of the Second Regiment of the Seventeenth Division of the Ohio Militia, with the rank of Colonel, and commissioned by Gov. Salmon P. Chase.
He came to Kansas late in 1858, located in Atchison, and entered upon the practice of law, associating himself with Hon. Alfred G. Otis, who was a man well versed in human jurisprudence, and who, as Judge of the Second Judicial District from January, 1877 to January, 1881, won golden opinions as an administrator of justice. The firm of Otis & Glick lasted for fifteen years, Mr. Glick abandoning his lucrative practice in 1874, in consequence of a throat affection (sic). The firm settled up their affairs annually, never a dispute occurring, their last settlement having been effected within an hour.
Mr. Glick was the Democratic candidate for Judge of the Second Judicial District at the first election held under the Wyandotte Constitution, December 6, 1859. His vote was larger than that of any candidate on his ticket. He was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives from the City of Atchison in 1862, 63, 64, 65, 67, 75 and 1880. In the Legislative sessions of 1863, 64, 65, 66, 68 and 1881, he was a member of the Judiciary Committee, and was made the chairman of the same in 1865, 1866 and 1868, by the Republican Speakers of the House, Hon. Jacob Stotler, Hon. John T. Burris and Hon. Preston B. Plumb. He was on the Ways and Means Committee in the session of 1864; on the State Library Committee in 1868; on the Committees on Assessment and Taxation, and on Federal Relations, and Chairman of the Railroad Committee in the session of 1876, and on Banks and Banking in the session of 1881. In the session of 1876, Mr. Glick was Speaker pro tem, of the House. In May, 1874, Mr. Glick served as a member of the State Senate, having been elected to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of Hon. Joseph C. Wilson.
July 28, 1866, he was one of the delegates elected by the Democrats to attend the Union Convention at Philadelphia, August 14, 1866; was a member of the Democratic State Central Committee appointed September 15, 1870; was appointed a member of the State Central Relief Committee, November 12, 1874; Gov. Thomas A. Osborn commissioned him a Centennial Manager, March 3, 1876, and he was elected Treasurer of the Board of Managers, and he was present at the first meeting of the Board at Philadelphia, at their office in the Kansas Building, June 4, 1876, when the arranging of the display was completed. July 29, 1868, he was made, by acclamation, the Democratic candidate for Governor, and at the election received some support outside of his political party.
He has been one of the County Commissioners of Atchison County, and, upon his accession to the office of Governor, was holding the position of Auditor of his county. Of the votes cast for Governor of Kansas, in 1882, George W. Glick, received 83,237; Gov. John P. St. John, 75,158; Ex-Gov. Charles Robinson, 20,933, scattering, 56. Mr. Glick received about 46 per cent of the vote cast. The highest vote ever before case for a Democratic candidate for office in Kansas was polled for Hon. Edmund G. Ross, for Governor in 1880. At the election Gov. St. John's vote was 115,204; Mr. Ross' 63,557; H. P. Vrooman's 19,477; scattering, 702. The percent of the vote received by Mr. Ross was nearly 32; Gov. St. John's in 1880, about 58 per cent; in 1882, about 44. The Democratic candidate for Secretary of State, in 1882, received a little over 33 per cent of the vote cast; James Smith, Republican, for the third time elected, had 53 per cent. Gov. Glick, a man of temperate habits of life, does not entertain the idea that "Prohibition" is a sovereign remedy for the evils arising from the use of the traffic in intoxicating drinks. February 22, 1876, while a member of the House, during the pendency of the proposed amendment to the dram shop act in the General Statutes of 1868, he asked to have the following protest to it spread upon the House journal, which appears on pages 933 and 934 of the journal of 1876. It reads as follows:
"MR. SPEAKER: I enter my protest against the passage of House bill No. 216, an act to amend Section 1 of Chapter 35 of the General Statues of 1868, relating to dram-shops, for the following reasons:
Gov. Glick has been prominently connected with the early Kansas railroads, especially those running into and out of Atchison. He was one of the first directors of the Central Branch of the Union Pacific, running west form Atchison, now extended nearly through to the Colorado line, and a part of the Missouri Pacific system; he was a director of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, the important railroad of the State and of the country west of the Mississippi; he was President of the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad from its organization until its completion, having spent four years of earnest labor in sacrificing efforts to accomplish its construction from Atchison to the capital city of Nebraska. Having organized the Atchison Gas Company, he secured the building of the gas works. He has erected many business and several dwelling houses in Atchison. He has a fine farm of about 600 acres in Shannon Township, about six miles west from the city of Atchison. About 200 acres are under cultivation, the remainder in pasture and woodland, there being some of the finest blue grass range here that can be found in the State. Nine miles of osage orange hedges mark the sub-divisions of the farm. As a tiller of the soil and a patron of husbandry, he has much to show for his labor of hand and brain. He conducts his business upon a scientific bases, and makes a registration of matters relating to stock and crops, knowing as a matter of debt and credit how every interest of his stands. He was the first master of the Shannon Hill Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry. He has been a Freemason for over thirty years, and aided in organizing the Royal Arch Chapter and Commandery of Atchison.
The wife of Gov. Glick was Miss Elizabeth Ryder, daughter of Dr. A. Ryder, of Fremont, Ohio. They were married at Massillon, Ohio, September 17, 1857. Frederick, their only son just attaining his majority, is the Private Secretary of the Governor. Jennie, their only daughter, is eighteen years of age.