|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
J. M. HUMPHREY, special examiner of the U. S. Pension Bureau for this district (Wichita,) was born in Coles County, Ill., December 8, 1856, and was educated in Neoga, Cumberland County, where his father, Mr. W. R. Humphrey, was County Clerk for many years. The subject of this sketch acted as Deputy Clerk for four years, and then read law in the office of Stale & Dyas, of Paris, being admitted to the bar in February, 1880; and, in partnership with R. S. Cusick, practiced in Paris, and in December, 1882, was appointed clerk in the U. S .Pension (sic) Department for the Fifteenth Congressional District; and February 10, 1883, was commissioned special examiner for the Fourth Kansas District, which embraces all counties west of Greenwood and south of the fourth standard parallel, or a little over one-third of the entire State. Mr. Humphrey's office is situated on Lawrence avenue, Wichita.
W. R. SULLIVAN, farmer, Sections 18 and 7, P. O. Park City, was born in Vermont in 1830, and when a boy removed with his father, Thomas A. Sullivan, to Ontario, Canada, settling upon a farm there. Arriving at manhood, he engaged alternately in farming and lumbering, etc. He came to Kansas first in 1869, when Wichita could boast of but a few rough houses and dug-outs, which were but little indicative of the future. He and his brother, Charles E., were the first of the family who located here. His farm contains 220 acres, of which 125 are under cultivation. His grain yield averages: Corn, 40; oats, 55; and wheat, 22 bushels per acre. His orchard contains 75 peach, 25 to 30 apple and cherry trees, berries, etc. His farm is in a good state of cultivation; and, in 1882, he built him a large two-story frame residence, which, with his large and commodious outbuildings, are insured. Mr. Sullivan was married in 1870 to Miss Sarah Hunt, a native of Ontario, Canada. They have but one child - William Albert - born November 20, 1879. Since his residence here Mr. S. has confined his attention principally to the care of his farm, which bears every evidence of careful culture. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and, although one of Park Township's pioneer settlers, his innate modesty has prevented his taking any public office, although he is always foremost in everything pertaining to the good and welfare of the community amid which he has taken up his abode.
R. A. HALL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 25, P. O. Mulvane, is identified with educational interests of Southern Kansas, Mr. H. came to Kansas in February, 1872, in connection with carrying on a farm, has taught school the greater portion of the time. He is a native of Ohio; was born in Lawrence County, January 12, 1846; was educated and reared in his native State. Early in the war he enlisted in the Thirty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, afterwards the Forty-fifth Kentucky Mounted Infantry, serving until the close of the rebellion. Was in a large number of general engagements, among which was Atlanta in 1864, where he was severely wounded in the left hand. He has four brothers in the service with the following regiments: L. D. was a Lieutenant in the Ninety-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry; John N. was in the One Hundred and Twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry; T. R. in the Fifty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry; and Henry Clay in the Fiftieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Suffice to state that the Hall family contributed more than a share towards the Union cause. Mr. H. is a member of the Masonic order, and Adjutant of the Mulvane Post, G. A. R. He was married in Mason County, Ill., to Miss Hattie E. Howe; they have four children - Ilena I., Florence D., Nina M. and Neora.
C. P. LEE, farmer, Sections 33 and 34, P. O. Wichita, was born in Wayne County, Pa., in 1828, and until 26 years of age was engaged upon his father's farm, but his health failing, he took a trip West, and in 1866 located upon the banks of the Solomon River, and had just gone to Manhattan, then merely a collection of huts, when the Arrapahoes assuming the offensive, drove the settl rs (sic) from their locations; he thereupon returned to his native State, and in 1870 made his permanent location here by pre-empting the farm, which he now owns. Having secured his claim, built a residence, etc., he again went east February 28, 1871, was married to Miss Ruth Courtwright of Wayne County, Pa., the couple making their wedding trip journey to their new home in Kansas. Myrta, born February, 1875, is their only child. Mr. Lee's farm of 320 acres is in a good state of cultivation, his corn yields forty and wheat twenty-two to twenty-five bushels to the acre. His orchard contains several hundred trees. He is also interested in stock to some extent, and has been elected Justice of the Peace. Is a member of the School Board of his district, and at one time was a leading member of, and officer in Valley Grange No. 337 P. of H. He takes a great deal of interest in the welfare of his adopted State.
W. H. RANSON, farmer, section 21, P. O. Wichita, was born in Morgan County, Ill., in 1840, and previous to his removal here had been engaged in farming, and subsequently in mercantile pursuits in Jacksonville, Ill.; and in 1861 he enlisted in Company K Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in the engagements at Belmont, Columbus, Stone River, Chattahoochee (sic), Chickamauga, Atlanta, etc., etc. At the Belmont affair he was wounded in the shoulder, and still carries the ball. He was mustered out in 1864, as Corporal. He returned to Illinois, and subsequently entered the employ of the United States as a post employ (sic) in the Quartermaster's Department. He was married March 24, 1868, to Miss Mary E. Groves, of Illinois, who has borne him five children, viz. Della, born August 1, 1869; Lena, September 18, 1871; Ellsworth, February 6, 1874; Bertha, October 28, 1877, and Jessie, September 15, 1879. In August, 1872, he came to Kansas, and has now 160 acres in Section 21, and 160 acres in Section 22. His principal crops are corn, wheat and oats, which yield a fair average. He has also dealt in hogs, sheep and cattle, and to him belongs the honor of having brought in 1872 the first pure Catswold sheep seen in the county. His orchard contains some 3,000 assorted fruit trees. Mr. R. was the first Secretary of the Arkansas Valley Agricultural Society, which he has been mainly instrumental in bringing to its present flourishing state, having now 450 members. He is also a member of the Woolgrowers' Association and of the M. E. Church.
CHARLES E. SULLIVAN, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Wichita, is one of the early pioneers (although not then a settler) having come to the Valley in 1864 as one of a company of 1,600 United States soldiers of the Second Colorado Regiment, and was present at the treaty made in that year upon the ground where E. P. Thompson's farm is now, between the tribes of Kiowas, Comanches, Arrapahoes and Cheyennes, and their Great White Father (Uncle Sam), and by them soon after violated, as usual. He was born in 1828, in Vermont, and is a brother of Mr. W. R. Sullivan, who is mentioned elsewhere in this work. He in early life learned the trade of a carpenter, and upon his discharge from the army in 1865, worked at his trade in Leavenworth, and assisted in the building of Fort Harker, and upon the completion of the works there in 1868, he located in this county. His farm is well tilled and yields an average return of corn thirty and wheat twenty-two bushels per acre. Mr. Sullivan was married in 1880 to Miss Emily Graham, of Toronto, Ont. He was instrumental in the organization of the township, and is a member of Garfield Post No. 25 G. A. R., also of the Old Settlers' Society of this township, and for a number of years has been a member of the School Board of his district.
S. H. BRAGG, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Wichita, was born in Howard County, Mo., in 1838, and has always been engaged in farming except the time spent in the Missouri State Militia. April 20, 1859, he married Miss Sarah M. Smith. There are nine children - viz: J. W., born 1860; S. B., 1862; M. M., in 1865; S. S. in 1868; Z. A. in 1870; C. A., in 1873; C. M., in 1876; O. O., in 1878; and S. E., in 1880. He came to Kansas in 1871 and brought his family in the next spring. His farm contains 120 acres all fenced, and he makes a specialty of raising horses in addition to agriculture. He has been on the School Board for several years; held office in Fair View Grange, P. of H., and is a member of Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
O. E. CLARK, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Clarion, was born in Genesee County, Mich., in 1854, and is the son of the Rev. S. Clark, of the Methodist Protestant Church, and who is now stationed in Pottawatomie county. The family came here in 1870, and the subject of his sketch owns a farm of 180 acres, in addition to that owned by his father. Mr. C. was married February, 1880, to Miss Emma Jackson of Iowa, and with his father is one of the early settlers of the township. His father voted at the first election held in the township and has been Trustee and Township Clerk.
PHILO GRIFFIN, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Franklin county, Vt., in 1836. When fourteen years of age he went to St. Lawrence County, N. Y., and thence to Illinois and Iowa, and coming to Kansas in 1870. In December, 1858, he married Miss Charlotte C. Lee, who has borne him five children - viz., Charles W., Emma E., Maria A., Fred L., and Minnie E. His farm is in good state of cultivation, and in 1883 he erected a fine two-story frame residence. He has been a member of the School Board and is steward in the Methodist Protestant Church, and one of the old settlers of the township.
S. H. HAYDEN, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Clarion, was born in Missouri in 1842, and removed to Kentucky in 1857, and in 1865 married Miss E. E. Hanes, and came to his present farm in 1870, having previously resided a year in Butler County. He is now engaged in farming and stock raising, and August, 1862, enlisted in Company A, Thirty-third Kentucky Regiment, and in 1863 the regiment was consolidated with the old Twenty-sixth Kentucky. He served till May, 1865, and was mustered out at Raleigh, N. C. Since residing here, he has been Justice of the Peace and Township Treasurer, and on School Board. His farm of 160 acres is surrounded by a fine hedge, and in addition to wells is watered by Perry Branch. In 1874 he was a heavy loser by the grasshoppers, but has now a fine farm and barns, etc. He is one of the early settlers of the township and deacon in the Pleasant View Baptist Church.
J. W. HART, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Cook County, Ill. in 1842, and was engaged in farming when he enlisted August 19, 1862 in Company E, Seventy-Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and known as the Board of Trade Regiment. He was at Vicksburg, Nashville, Champion Hill, etc., etc., and was mustered out in 1865. Returning to Illinois he continued farming, and in 1868 married Miss Ruth Coffin. They have five children, Ozro, Maggie, Lillie, Laura and Luelia. In 1870 he located here, and built the first frame house in the township. His farm of 160 acres contains 110 under plow, corn and wheat being sole crops. The orchard contains about 500 assorted trees. He is a member of the United Brethren Church, and one of the earliest settlers in the township.
OREN SMITH, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Clarion, was born in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1842. When fourteen years old his father died, and he took charge of the farm, and in August 1861 he enlisted in Company F, Second Ohio Cavalry, and was in all the battles of Grant and Sheridan's campaign, until mustered out in September, 1865. Returning home he married Lydia A. Wilbert September 5, 1867, and located in Randolph County, Mo. till 1871, when he removed to his present location. His farm has 240 acres, 100 being in cultition (sic), corn, oats and millet. He has seventy-five hogs, and forty cattle, and has a well cultivated farm, good out buildings, etc. He voted at the first election held in the township; has been Township Treasurer for two terms and Clerk one. Is a member of the School Board, and also of the Old Settlers' Society; of Garfield Post, G. A. R., and of the Protestant Methodist Church.
WILLIAM YAZEL, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Clarion, was born in Fulton County, Ill., in 1843, and has always been engaged in farming. He came to his present location in 1870 and in 1874 suffered from the grasshoppers; while upon another occasion his residence and its inmates was lifted bodily up by a tornado, the house was smashed in pieces, but fortunately the inmates escaped serious injury. He has now a beautiful place embowered in fruit and forest trees. Has 11 horses, 80 cattle and about 180 hogs. His barns are large and substantial. He is one of the leading men of the township, and is its present Treasurer. Mr. Y. is married and has three very interesting children.
W. C. BASTOW, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in England in 1832, and in 1853 came to Ohio and thence to Iowa, and in 1858, located in what is now Washington County, this State, and in 1874 located upon his present farm of 240 acres 190 being under cultivation in corn, wheat and oats. His orchard contains 1,000 peach and 340 apple and other trees, while three-fourths of an acres is devoted to berries and five acres to forest trees. In 1862 he married Miss Mary A. Lynd, who has borne him nine children, six of whom are living, viz, William M., Thomas L., Marcia A., Carrie E., Andrew J. and Celia E. While in Washington County his granary was destroyed by an incendiary and the sudden rise of Mill Creek upon another occasion destroyed all his crops, etc. He has been Township Clerk two years, and has been several times on the School Board, and has a well cultivated and attractive farm, with good wells, barns, etc.
JAMES BEARD, farmer, Section 16, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in 1840, in Rockbridge County, Va., but, when a boy, removed with his parents to Fulton County, Ill. And subsequently engaged in farming until 1860, when he went to Mississippi, where he had a contract to build a levee, but the State seceding in 1861, he came to Kansas, and proceeding to Leavenworth, was engaged as Army Teamster until April, 1864, when he enlisted in Company I, Sixteenth Kansas Cavalry, and was engaged on frontier duty until mustered out November 28th, 1865. He then returned to Illinois, and in 1871, married Miss Sarah Coleman, who has borne four children - Ezra, Charles, Maud and John. In 1875 Mr. Bears located upon his present farm of 345 acres, 275 being under cultivation in wheat, oats and millet, 40 cattle, 11 horses and 200 hogs. He is a member of the Garfield Post G. A. R., and Trustee of Park Methodist Episcopal Church, and also gave the township fifteen acres for park and cemetery purposes.
C. C. CAMPBELL, farmer, Section 3, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Indiana County, Pa. In 1845, and was engaged in farming until July 1862, when he enlisted in Company L, First Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served with distinction until the close of the war in July, 1865. Shortly after he removed to Fulton County, Ills., (sic) and in 1869 married Miss E. F. Palmer. There are two children - Mary Ivie, born March 13th, 1870, and Roscoe E. April 20th, 1882. Mr. Campbell left Illinois in the fall of 1871, by wagon, and remained in Allen County, Kans., until spring, when he removed to his present farm of 160 acres, 100 of which are in cultivation in corn and oats. He has also 30 cattle and 100 hogs, while his orchard contains 375 assorted fruits, berries, etc. He has been Treasurer of the School Board for many years, and is also Treasurer of the Township. Is a member of Garfield Post 25, G. A. R., and of the County Fair Association, and in 1874 was distributor of his district to the suffers from the grasshoppers.
MARTIN C., CARNAHAN, farmer, Section 21, P. O. Valley Centre, was born in Darke County, Ohio, 1838, and was married in 1858 to Miss Lodema Hatfield, of that State. He removed to Logan County, Ill. In 1854, and engaged in farming until October, 1863, when he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was engaged in guard duty in the States of Tennessee and Mississippi, until mustered out October, 1864, at Vicksburg, and returning to Illinois, remained there until his removal to Kansas in 1876. Located upon his present farm of 160 acres, 130 of which are under cultivation, with an average grain yield of corn 30, wheat 12, and oats 25 bushels per acre. His orchard contains about 800 assorted fruit trees, while one quarter acre is devoted to blackberries, grapes, etc. His children are Marcellus, Lucy, Nellie, Charlotte, May, Alonzo, Henry, Albert and Cora. Mr. Carnahan is one of the early settlers of this region, and is a member of and elder in the Christian Church. His two-story frame residence and outbuildings are insured.
J. W. DEAL, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Sunnydale, is a native of Maryland, and in early life went to Ohio, from whence he came to Kansas February 16th, 1872, and locating upon a farm, at once proceeded to make nature pay tribute, and so well has he succeeded, that he now has one of the most attractive farms in the township. His corn and wheat yield has been rather above the average. His orchard contains about 500 assorted fruit trees, in addition to grapes, blackberries, raspberries, etc. His residence is approached by a finely shaded avenue. Mr. Deal is married and has five children. He enlisted in September, 1862, in Company C, Fourth Virginia Cavalry, and was at White Oak Swamp, Antietam and Fredericksburg, and was mustered out in March, 1864. He has a fine milk house built of stone, and supplied by a never failing spring, so that even in the hottest weather his milk can be kept cold and sweet. The above is of his own construction and invention.
NORMAN H. DEWING, Postmaster and merchant, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., February 16, 1836, and until 1855 was engaged in farming in his native State, then removed to Leelenaw County, Mich., remaining there for three years, and in Walworth County, Wis. Upon the call of three months' men was the first man that enlisted in Company A, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, in 1861, and after serving nine months was discharged for disability. Returning home, he in a few months, having recuperated his strength, re-enlisted in the Thirteenth Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery, and served in that until the close of the war, being mustered out with rank of Sergeant in 1865. Mr. D. came to Kansas in the spring of 1875, and for five years was located seven miles northwest of Wichita, where he was engaged in farming. From thence he removed to his present location, and September 25, 1882, he was appointed Postmaster of Sunnydale office. In connection therewith he carries a well assorted stock of general merchandise, which is insured for one-third of its value. In 1876 Mr. Dewing was married to Miss Annie Booter, a native of Illinois, but then residing in Sedgwick County. By this marriage there are three children, viz.: Clarence, born May 28, 1877; Jasper, September 15, 1879; and Earl, May 15, 1881. Mr. Dewing is President of Maple Grove Cemetery Association, organized in 1873, and has been Justice of the Peace of the township upon two several occasions.
LEROY FOSDICK, Section 14, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Geauga County, Ohio, in 1836, and when a boy removed to Illinois, where his father, Mr. Harry Fosdick, engaged in farming, and where the subject of this sketch, in 1858, was married to Miss Frances Grace, a native of Kilkenney County, Ireland, but who, since the age of six years, has been a resident of this country. Mr. F. enlisted September 12, 1862, in Company A, Tenth Iowa Infantry, and participated in the first siege of Corinth, Iuka and Vicksburg, and was under Grant throughout the whole campaign, and was mustered out May 29, 1865. March 28, 1871, Mr. F. came to Kansas, locating upon the farm where he now resides. He owns 160 acres of land, 70 of which are under cultivation. In addition to agriculture he is raising high-class cattle. His orchard embraces three acres. Of his children only two now survive, viz.: Mrs. Mary Burnley, born October 20, 1862, and now residing in Chase County, and William A., born January 7, 1877. He is one of the representative men of the township. The first sermon in Grant Township was delivered in his house. Like all of the pioneer settlers of Kansas he had his share of hardships, but now has one of the most beautiful farms in Sedgwick County.
GEORGE H. HOLBROOK, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in 1824, in Janesville, Onondaga Co., N. Y., and in 1846 married Miss Catherine Kortright, of Ulster County, N. Y. In 1854 he removed to Henry County, Ill., where he engaged in farming, and in 1873 came to his present farm of eighty acres, all of which is under cultivation. His orchard contains 500 fruit trees, and he has also 5,000 forest trees. There are two children living, viz.: D. W., born December 26, 1847, and George W., July 4, 1862, and who now manages the farm. In February, 1864, Mr. H. enlisted in Company C, Ninth Illinois Cavalry, and remained in active service till mustered out, November 20, 1865. He has been one of the members of the School Board, and is one of the pioneer settlers of the township.
E. W. LASALLE, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in 1837, in Ohio, and when eight years of age removed with his parents to Huntington County, Ind., and in 1859 was married to Miss Rebecca A. Cady, who has borne him six children, viz.: Mrs. Alferreta Shepard, of Wayne County, Ind.; John F., Emma, Edward, Achsah and George. Mrs L., died in 1873, and in 1874 Mr. L. married his present wife, Miss Irene L. Stewart, of Ohio. By this marriage there are three children. In August, 1861, Mr. L. enlisted in Company C, Second Indiana Cavalry, and was in all the engagements of his company, and was mustered out in August, 1864, as Corporal. He came to Kansas in 1872, locating in this township. His farm is well watered by windmill power, is well stocked and shaded. He is a member of Kilpatrick Post, No. 36, and one of the early settlers in Grant Township.
THOMAS MASTERSON, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Sunnydale; was born in Canada in 1827. In 1865 he removed to Illinois, where he engaged in farming; and June 1, 1872, located upon his present homestead. In 1852 he was married to Miss Catherine McGurk, of St. Johns, P. Q., who has borne him seven children, viz.; Edward John, born September 22, 1850, and who was murdered at Dodge City, April 9, 1878, while in performance of his duty as Marshal, by a drunken cowboy (the death of Marshal Masterson was noted, together with resolutions of respect and condolence, in the local papers of that date); Bartholomew, November 24, 1851, and is now Marshal of Trinidad, Col., where his brothers James and Thomas are located. Mr. M., as will be seen by date of his location here, is one of the pioneer settlers of this region, and to him is due the honor of giving to Sunnydale its appellation. He is one of the representative men of the county, and has held several offices in this township.
CHARLES M. PEASE, farmer, Secton 12, P. O. Sedgwick City, was born in Kane County, Ill., in 1848, and in 1871 came to Kansas, locating here. His farm is beautifully shaded, and is under a high state of cultivation. In July, 1880, Mr. Pease was married to Miss Augusta Wilcox, of Illinois. They have but one chlld, viz.; Nellie C., two years of age. Mr. P. is a member of the Christian Church and one of the earliest settlers of this township.
H. K. WARREN, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., in 1847, and when a boy removed with his parents to Michigan, subsequently locating in Illinois, and moving thence to Kansas in 1871. Mr. Warren was married February 27, 1867, to Miss Louise Bartholomew, a native of England. They have the following children, viz., Lewis, A. B., Ceylon K., Ester A., Cora L., Bertha L., Effie A., William Henry, George S. Mr. Warren has one of the finest farms in the township, beautifully shaded by over 7,000 trees. He has been for several years a member of the School Board of his District, and is now one of the officers of the township.
A. J. WEAVER, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Pennsylvania in 1837, and in early life learned the trade of a carpenter. When the war broke out he enlisted April, 1861, in Company A, Third Pennsylvania Infantry, and upon the expiration of his term at once returned home, and raised a company which became Company D of the One Hundred and Tenth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. At the head of his company Lieut. Weaver was the first man over the stone wall at Winchester, capturing Gen. Jackson's nephew and aide-de-camp George D. Jenkins, and after Chancellorsville was transferred to Second Battalion Veteran Reserve Corps, owing to disability, and at expiration was mustered out as Lieutenant in the United States army. In 1868 he was appointed Postmaster of Williamsburg, remaining three years, and carrying on business as merchant. He was married in 1857 to Miss Clara Benner, who has borne him six children, only two of whom survive - Mrs. Carrie M. Mead and Charles F. Mr. W. came to Kansas in 1877, locating upon his farm of eighty acres, seventy-two of which are under cultivation. In addition to farming he still pursues his trade, and in 1882 built the Park Methodist Episcopal Church, erected at a cost of $2,000. He is also one of the trustees of the church, and donated an acre of land for its erection.
WILLIAM WILLIS, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Valley Centre, was born in Darke County, Ohio, in 1820, and when a young man removed to Logan County, Ill., where he resided for over twenty years, and coming to Kansas in 1876, bought the whole of above Section, which he has since given to his sons George M., Luke A., John C., and Albert P., who have since jointly cultivated it. There are now 540 acres under cultivation in corn, wheat, and oats, and there are 200 trees in the orchard. In addition to the above there is a farm of 240 acres in Kichi Township, which is owned by Mr. W. and worked by its future possessor, his youngest son, William T., who is at present unmarried. Of this farm 160 acres are under culture in grain. Mr. Willis has his farms under a high state of cultivation, and upon all are good residences, barns, etc. His son Luke A., was married in the fall of 1878 to Miss Rose Thomson, of this State, and at the same time his brother and partner George M. was married to Miss Annie L. Fisher. Mr. Willis, senior, has a daughter, Mrs. Sarah E. Guthrie, a widow, who resides with and acts as her father's housekeeper. She is also the possessor of a farm of eighty acres in this county. Mr. Luke Willis has been Constable of this township, while his father, Mr. William Willis, has filled the office of Treasurer of Grant Township.