KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


SEDGWICK COUNTY, Part 22

[TOC] [part 23] [part 21] [Cutler's History]

JAMESBURGH.

This little settlement, a little over two miles northwest of Wichita, was once a village of some promise, but is regarded as a place of little importance now. It was laid out in the winter of 1872 and 73. It was named after James Morgan, the proprietor, whose heirs still own the land. It once had a store, shop, and postoffice, but they have all been removed.

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - DELANO TOWNSHIP.

S. W. BAILEY, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Wichita, was born in Lorain County, Ohio, in 1843, and is a son of Hiram and Zephra Bennett Bailey. Was married in 1867, to Miss Caroline Brinley, daughter of J. B. and Aurelia Gilborson Brinley. Has five children - Flora, George, Isaac E., Ella, and Willie. Buried one child. Came to Kansas in 1871, located on the farm where he now lives. Owns 320 acres of land, and engaged in farming and stock raising. Was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisted in 1862, in One Hundred and Eleventh Regiment Ohio Volunteers, Company H. Was in the battles of Knoxville, Buzzards Roost, Resaca, Kenesaw Mountain, Atlanta, Pulaski, Duck River, Franklin, Nashville, Fort Fisher, Fort Anderson, Wilmington, and in other engagements of his command - twenty-two in all. Was mustered out in 1865. Is a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Sedgwick County. Is a member of the School Board; has served four years.

J. B. BRINLEY, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Wichita, was born in Exeter, Eng., in 1832; is a son of Joseph and Caroline Brinley. Was married in 1851, to Miss Amelia Gilborson, daughter of James and Caroline Gilborson. Has three children - Caroline, married to Mr. Bailey; Maria, married to Mr. Williams; and George BRINLEY. Came to Kansas in 1871, located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 600 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock raising. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M., and of the Old Settlers' Association of Sedgwick County. Came to the United States in 1852, located in Jersey City, N. J., and remained two years, then moved to South Bend, Ind., and remained there eight years, and then moved to Michigan, and from Michigan to Kansas.

C. B. CAMPBELL, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Wichita, was born in Pennsylvania in 1846; is a son of Thomas and Elizabeth Fair Campbell. Was married in 1871, to Miss Margaret Ellis, daughter of John and Mary Ellis. Has two children - Maud and Gaila Campbell. Came to Kansas from Illinois in 1875, located on the farm on which he now resides. Owns 320 acres of land, engaged in farming and stock raising. Was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisted in 1863, in the Second Illinois Light Artillery, Company A. Was in the engagements of Mobile, the bombardment of Fort Morgan, and other engagements of his command. Was mustered out at the close of the war, in 1865. Has been a member of the School Board for three years. A. F. Campbell, brother of C. B. Campbell, was killed in the Lawrence massacre, near Lawrence, with ten others.

FRED S. DENNIS, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Wichita, was born in Orange County, N. Y., in 1858, and is a son of Byram and Gertrude Smith Dennis. Single. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1871, located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 160 acres of land, and is engaged in general farming. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the Old Settlers' Association of Sedgwick County. Is a member of the Arkansas Valley Agricultural Association of Sedgwick County. Byram Dennis, father of Fred S. Dennis, was born in Ancram, N. Y., in 1821; is a son of Jacob and Nellie Dennis. Was married in 1845, to Miss Gertrude Smith, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Smith. Had two children - Fred S. and Henrietta Dennis. Came to Kansas in 1871, located on the farm his son now owns. Was one of the organizers of Delano Township; was elected Township Trustee in 1880; was a member of the School board; helped to organize the district, and built the first school house. Died in July, 1880. Mrs. Dennis is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

A. E. DODGE, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Wichita, was born in Will County, Ill., in 1846; son of Enoch and Susan Adams Dodge. Was married, in 1871, to Miss Harriet E. Gaines, daughter of Samuel W. and Elmira Lung Gaines; had one child, Elmira Dodge. Came to Kansas in 1870; located on the farm where he now resides; owns 200 acres of land, one mile from the city of Wichita; engaged in farming and stock raising; has a fine herd of cattle. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1871 at the Wichita election before the organization of Delano Township. Was the first Justice west of the Arkansas River. Was Trustee of Delano in 1878; held the office for two terms. Is a member of the School Board; has served for seven years. Is a member of the Arkansas Valley Association, and of the Old Settlers' Association of Sedgwick County. Was the third settler in Delano Township.

ENOCH DODGE, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Wichita, was born in Will County, Ill, in 1843; son of Enoch and Susan Adams Dodge. Was married, in 1877, to Miss Lizzie Hughes, daughter of Young S. and Ann Jones Hughes; has two children - Arthur and Lee Dodge. Came to Kansas in 1870, and located on the farm where he now resides; owns 136 acres of land; engaged in farming and stock raising, one mile from the city of Wichita. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1862 in the One Hundredth Regiment Illinois Volunteers Company G. Was in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Franklin, Nashville, and in the battles of the Atlantic Campaign, and other engagements of his command. Was never absent from his command during his three years' service. Was mustered out in 1865. Has been Treasurer of Delano Township. Settled in the township with his brother, A. E. Dodge, there being only three settlers before him.

ALEX. FARDY, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Wichita, was born in Waukesha County, Wis., in 1846; is a son of Michael and Ann Lyons Fardy; single; came to Kansas in 1866; located at Leavenworth; engaged in carriage making; remained five years, then located at Wichita; engaged in bridge building. Located on the farm where he now resides in 1872; owns 160 acres of land; engaged in farming and stock raising.

JOHN FARMER, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Wichita, was born in Canada West in 1849; son of Richard and Ann Ham Farmer; was married, in 1874, to Miss Jessie A. Chapman, daughter of Jesse B. and Elizabeth J. West Chapman. Has four children - Harry J., Ella B., George A. and Pearl Farmer. Came to Kansas in 1870; located in Delano Township, near the Arkansas River; in 1872, located on the farm where he now resides; owns 110 acres of land; engaged in farming and stock raising. Is a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Sedgwick County; was in the township one year before its organization, and was one of its organizers. His house was the fourth one built in the township.

A. B. JOHNSON, farmer, Sections 7 and 18, P. O. Wichita, was born in Highland County, Ohio, in 1827; son of Samuel and Margaret McFarland Johnson; was married, in 1852, to Miss Susannah Johnson; has two children - Mary E. and Joanna L. Johnson. His wife died in 1868; he was married, in 1871, to Mrs. Rachel Tate Jay, daughter of James and Elizabeth Tate; have three children - Dora D. Jay; Cora B. and Maggie V. Johnson. Came to Kansas in 1872; located on the farm where he now resides; owns 460 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock raising. Has a peach orchard of 2,000 trees; the fourth year from the seed he had 300 bushels of peaches; has a walnut grove raised from the seed planted in 1873; trees now from two to four inches in diameter. Was elected Justice of the Peace in 1875; held the office four years. Has been a member of the School Board; served three terms. Is a member of the Congregational Church.

J. W. KEITH, farmer, Section 20, P. O. Wichita, was born in Greene county, N. Y. In 1826, son of Luke and Hannah Wolcott Keith, was married in 1851 to Miss Harriet Blaklee, daughter of Asahel W. and Elizabeth Carey Blaklee, has five children, Edith, Ellis A., Harvy J., Libbie and Grant Keith. Came to Kansas in 1874, located on the farm where he now resides, owns 160 acres of land, engaged in farming and stock raising. Was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisted in 1864 in the Thirteenth Regiment Michigan Volunteers; Company A., was in the battle of Savannah, Averysboro, Bentonville, the Georgia Campaign and other engagements of his command. Was mustered out in June, 1865, was elected Justice of the Peace in 1878, held the office for two years. Is a member of the School Board, has served eight years.

G. E. KIRKPATRICK, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Wichita, was born in Brown County, O., in 1834; is a son of Alexander and Lavina Evans Kirkpatrick; was married in 1857 to Miss Carolina M. Henry, daughter of Samuel and Phoebe Moore; Henry (sic) has seven children, Effie, Julia, Phoebe, Henry, Willie, Charles and Percy Kirkpatrick. Came to Kansas in 1871, located on the farm where he now resides; owns 154 acres of land, engaged in farming and stock raising. Was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisted in 1861 in the Twenty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, Company C., had been in the service six weeks when he was taken with typhoid fever, was confined one year; re-enlisted in 1864 in the One Hundred and Sixty-second Regiment, Ohio Volunteers, Company K., was mustered out in the fall of 1864 at the close of his term of enlistment. Is a member of the Old Settler's Association of Sedgwick. His wife died in February, 1883.

WILLIAM H. KING, farmer, Section 80, P. O. Wichita, was born in Washington County, N. Y., in 1816, is a son of Joseph and Elizabeth McClelllan King. Was married in 1843 to Miss Sophia Mills, daughter of Timothy and Hannah Burr Mills. Has six children, George T., Frances A., Emma J., Willis A., Chester E. and Leslie L. Came to Kansas in 1871 and located on the farm where now resides. Is a member of the Old Settler's Association of Sedgwick County. Built the first bridge across the Cow Skin Creek. Mrs. King has been a member of the School Board, served three years, was Treasurer of the district at the time of building the first schoolhouse. She came to Kansas and located their claim and held the claim and with the assistance of her son, a lad of ten years, made the necessary improvements and held the claim until her husband came in the fall of the same year. Chester E. King was born in Michigan in 1854; is a son of W. H. And Sophia King; was married in 1882 to Miss Joanna F. L. Johnson, daughter of A. B. and Susannah Johnson; has one child, Clarence A. King. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1871; was educated for a teacher at Galesburg, Michigan, commenced teaching in 1874 and followed it until 1881. He is now engaged in farming, owns 154 acres; is a member of the Second Regiment Kansas Militia. A member of the Presbyterian Church and elder of the same, and a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Sedgwick Co. Was Clerk and Lecturer of the Grange of Delano Township in 1877. Is a temperance man, was treasurer of the temperance society of Delano Township; was candidate for Superintendent of Public Instruction for Sedgwick County. Leslie, son of William H. and Sophia King, was born in Michigan in 1861; was married in 1880 to Miss Ruth A. Stout, daughter of William D. and Zerelda Stout. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1871. Owns 160 acres of land in Kingman County. Is a member of the Second Regiment Kansas Militia, and of the Old settlers' Association of Sedgwick County.

JOHN KRUCKENBERG, farmer, Section 32, P. O. Wichita, was born in Germany in 1846. Son of Henry and Catherine Kruckenberg. Was married in 1880, to Miss Augusta Schlei. Has one child - Arthur. Mr. Kruckenberg came to Kansas in 1870, from Missouri. In 1871, located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 160 acres of land; engaged in farming and stock raising. Is a member of the Lutheran Church. Came from Germany to the United States, in 1865.

HENRY W. LAWRENCE, Section 29, P. O. Wichita, was born in Litchfield County, Conn., in 1819; son of Putnam and Ruth (Williams) Lawrence. He married in 1845, Miss Abigail Doolittle, daughter of Henry and Mary (Richards) Doolittle. They have five children - James B., Robert E., Charles, Reuben and Mary. He came to Kansas in 1872, and located on the farm where he now resides. He has been Justice of the Peace six years in Delano Township. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and elder ten years.

ROBERT E. LAWRENCE, proprietor Maplewood Farm and breeder of Holstein and Polled Angus cattle, Section 30, P. O. Wichita, was born in Litchfield County, Conn., in 1847; son of Henry W. and Abigail (Doolittle) Lawrence. He married, in 1873, Miss Laura L. Smith, daughter of Frederick and Aurilia Smith, natives of Massachusetts. He came to Kansas in 1870, and located on the farm where he now resides. He owns 580 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and stock raising. He is Trustee of Delano Township, and has been Clerk and Treasurer. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and has been elder in the church for thirteen years. He is a member of the Arkansas Valley Agricultural Society, and has been director for two years. Is also a member of the Old Settlers' Association.

N. McCORMICK, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Wichita, was born in Indiana in 1839. Is a son of John and Sarah (Bush) McCormick. Was married, in 1859, to Miss Rachael N. Way, daughter of Henry and Lucinda (Hines) Way. Has four children - Wilber, Lillian, Gertrude and Herbert McCormick. Came to Kansas in 1871, located on a farm in Waco, remained five years. In 1876, located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 320 acres of land, and is engaged in farming and dairying; milks thirty-five cows. Was a member of the School board, and Clerk of School district in Waco Township.

JOHN McCORMICK, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Wichita, was born in Henry County, Iowa, in 1842, son of John and Sarah (Bush) McCormick. Was married in 1866, to Miss Mary Elder, daughter of Perry and Eliza Elder. Has five children - Effie E., Lula P., Nellie, Myrtie M. and Arthur E. Came to Kansas in 1869, located in the spring of 1870, on the farm where he now resides. Owns 160 acres of land. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1861, in the First Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company E; was in the battle of Prairie Grove and other engagements of his command. At the close of his three years' enlistment, re-enlisted in the same regiment and company; was mustered out in 1866, at Davenport, Iowa. Is a member of the Old Settlers' Association.

S. W. RICHMOND, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Wichita, was born in Switzerland County, Ind., in 1825. Son of George and Catharine Richmond. He was married, in 1850, to Miss Ameilia J. Leatherbury, daughter of Charles and Ann Leatherbury. They have four children - Irving, Gustavus, Corydon and Grant. Mr. Richmond was educated in Oberlin College; graduated in the class of 1859. In 1866, in connection with D. R. Hughs and George I. Yager, organized the Western Phoenix Fire Insurance Company, at Chicago; D. R. Hughs, president, S. W. Richmond, vice-president George I. Yager, secretary. He came to Kansas in 1870, and located on a farm in Section 31, Delano Township, where he remained until 1883, when he sold his farm and moved to Waco Township. Owns 152 acres. He has been Justice of the Peace in Delano for years. Is a member of the Spiritualist organization of Wichita.

C. W. TALLMAN, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Wichita, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1844. Son of Charles and Isabelle Brown Tallman. He was married, in 1875 to Miss Nellie A. Swartz, daughter of David and Mary C. Swartz. They have three children - Flora B., Annie L. and Samuel P. He came to Kansas in 1868, and located at Leavenworth County, and remained five years, engaged in farming and gardening. In 1873 he located in Delano Township, Sedgwick County. He owns 160 acres of land in Ninnescah Township, Section 17. In the spring of 1879 he located on his farm in Ninnescah Township, and remained until 1881, when he removed to Delano Township, where he now resides. He was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in August, 1864, in the Forty-eighth Regiment Missouri Volunteers, Company E. He was mustered out in 1865, at the close of the war. He has been Clerk of Delano township, and member of the School Board of Ninnescah Township. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Tallman was born in Leavenworth County, Kan., in 1856.

JOHN WILKINS, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Wichita. Was born in Livingston County, N. Y., in 1852. Son of Perry and Mary Dibble Wilkins. Was married, in 1876, to Miss Mary Benton, daughter of George W. and Susan Simpson Benton. Has one child, Fred B. Wilkins. Came to Kansas with his parents in 1870. Located on the farm where he now resides. Owns 120 acres of land, about two and a half miles from Wichita. Engaged in farming and stock raising. Is a member of the Old Settlers' Association of Sedgwick County. Was elected Trustee of Delano Township, in 1874; held the office for 1874-75. In 1879 made the assessment of the Township as Deputy Trustee. In 1880 was appointed Trustee to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Mr. Dennis, who was elected to that office. Was one of the Directors of the Delano Township Aid Society during 1874; for the purpose of aiding the sufferers from the ravages of the grasshoppers; was secretary of the society. Perry and Mary Wilkins, parents of the subject of the above sketch, were natives of New York. Came to Kansas, in 1870, with their two children, John and Frank H. Wilkins. Located on a claim two miles from the city of Wichita, and immediately commenced improvements and laying the foundation for their future home. Being destitute of means, save energy and determination, Mr. Wilkins, and his two boys, spent the three first summers in freighting and at work on the A. T. & S. R. R., which at the time was built as far as Topeka, and was being built West. In the winter seasons of these years were engaged in hunting buffalo. Succeeded in killing about 1,000; the hides average about $2.50 each, and the meat three cents per pound fresh, and eleven cents dried. By this means were enabled to open and improve their farm, and with their characteristic energy have secured one of the most valuable and pleasant homes in the township; with a fine house, surrounded by large forest trees, which are of their own planting, which are now from eighteen to twenty inches in diameter, they are now reaping the reward of their industry.

[TOC] [part 23] [part 21] [Cutler's History]