|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - GRANT TOWNSHIP (GOODRICK - SPAULDING).
W. Y. GOODRICK, Justice of the Peace and farmer, Section 2, P. O. Valley Centre, was born in Ohio in 1834; son of W. W. and Charity Goodrick. Was married, in 1855, to Miss Mary E. Figgins, daughter of Elijah and Elizabeth Figgins. Has three children - William A., Elizabeth J. and John E.; buried one child. His wife died in 1874; was married in 1878, to Miss S. A. Graham. Came to Kansas in 1867; located in Davis County; remained three years, engaged in farming, then removed to Sedgwick County; located in Kechi Township; remained for five years, then removed to Grant Township, where he now resides. Has been engaged in farming; has in a crop of forty-two acres of corn; has usually been successful in his farming pursuits. Was in the War of the Rebellion. Enlisted in 1861, in the Fortieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company B. Was in the battles of Chickamauga, and other engagements of his command, nine in all. Was wounded in the engagement of Chickamauga, September 19, 1863, by gun-shot in the left eye, the ball still remaining in his head. Was transferred to the Invalid Corps. Was unable to do service after receiving the wound; his general health was impaired, from which he has never fully recovered. Was mustered out in 1864. Held the office of Justice of the Peace for four years in Kechi Township, and is now holding the same office for the fourth term in Grant Township. Is a member of the Garfield Post No. 25, G. A. R.
WILLIAM J. HENNESSY, M. D., physician and surgeon, was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1856; son of John and Mary Hennessy; is single; was educated in the Rochester and Macedon Academy; took collegiate course at the Syracuse University, medical department; graduated in the class of 1881. His first practice of his profession was in Palmyra, N. Y., where he remained until 1883, when he removed to Kansas, locating at Valley Center, Grant Township, where he purchased the drug business of H. R. Dean, in company with Mr. Davis, under the firm name of Hennessy & Davis, Mr. D. devoting his time to the drug business and Mr. H. to his practice, which has already become quite extensive in the townships of Grant, Eagle, Kechi, Lincoln and Park. He is a physician of the regular school.
THOMAS O. HOSS, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Valley Center, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, in 1832; son of James and Susan Hass[sic]. Was married in 1855, to Miss Mary J. McNeal, daughter of Joseph and Martha McNeal. Their children are Frank J., Fred J., Edward F., Kate O., William W., John and Helen M. His wife died in 1874. He was married again in 1875, and buried his second wife in 1877. Was married again in 1882, to Miss Laura B. Summers, daughter of Rev. W. C. and Mary L. Summers. Came to Kansas in 1870, and located in Lynn County; after one year removed to Grant Township, this county, and located on the farm on which he now resides, consisting of 160 acres, 120 of which are under cultivation; engaged in farming and stock raising; feeds his surplus corn; fats about fifty hogs and thirty head of cattle. Mr. H. was in the late war, enlisted in the Fifty-ninth Illinois Volunteers, Company D. Was in the battles of Pittsburgh Landing, Corinth, Shiloh; was wounded in the last named engagement, and was unfit for service until the fall of the same year. Served as Orderly Sergeant. In the spring of 1863, was detailed to recruit a company of colored troops. In August was transferred to the Sixty-first United States Colored Infantry, and was appointed Captain; received his commission in the fall of the same year, and held the same until the close of the war. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church, the Garfield Post, No. 25, G. A. R., and of the Old Settlers' Association, of Sedgwick County. Was elected Justice of the Peace at the first election held in the township, and has held that office from that time. He married the first couple in the township. Is treasurer of the Maple Grove Cemetery Association of Grant Township. He had but twenty-five cents on reaching Kansas. He lived in a sod house. In 1871, hauled lumber from Newton and built him a house, which at the time of its completion was burned by a prairie fire, together with all his hay. His oxen died with the Texas cattle fever, leaving him destitute and in debt; but undaunted at the misfortunes that would have discouraged a less resolute man, he set to work to rebuild his house, and by labor and perseverance, succeeded in getting a house, and procuring another team; but misfortune still awaited him - in 1874, his crops were all destroyed; but with the same spirit that had previously characterized him in misfortune, he has been able to surmount all discouragements, and is now reaping the reward of his energy, being surrounded by all the comforts of life on as good a farm as there is in his community.
O. G. JACOBS, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Valley Center, was born in Tioga County, N. Y., in 1844; is a son of Joseph C. and Margaret Jacobs. Was married in 1870, to Miss Cora Tusler, daughter of William and Survina Tusler. They buried one child at the age of one year. Came to Kansas in the spring of 1870, and located on the farm on which he now resides, consisting of 240 acres, all of which are under improvement, 155 under the plow. He has been very successful in his farming, getting good yields of wheat, corn, oats and potatoes. Has a good orchard in bearing; has a fine residence 30 x 26 feet, two stories high, erected at the cost of $2,000, one mile and a half from Valley Center. Mr. Jacobs had but $400 when he came to Kansas, and by energy and perseverance, notwithstanding the discouragements of pioneer life, has now one of the finest farms and pleasantest homes in the township as the reward of his labors. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M., of the Old Settlers' Association, of Sedgwick County, and of the Arkansas Valley Agricultural Association, of Sedgwick County. Has been a Trustee of Grant Township two terms. Was County Commissioner of Sedgwick County one term, and has served on the School Board several terms.
WILLIAM McCRACKEN, farmer and fruit grower, Section 22, P. O. Sunnydale, is the son of Robert and Catharine McCracken. Was born in 1826, in Allegheny County, Pa., and in 1853, married Miss Mary Lindsey. Mr. McCracken removed to Illinois where he resided for many years, and came to Kansas in the fall of 1872 and located the following spring. Of his 270 acres the greater part has been improved, and while devoting considerable attention to agriculture he has made a specialty of fruit raising. His orchard contains 25,000 peach, 3,500 apple, 3,000 cherry, 1,000 pear and about 500 plum trees, while ten acres are devoted to raising choice varieties of berries and other small fruits. Flora, too, has been remembered, there being in addition to other flowers at least forty varieties of the rose, while throughout the entire farm evergreens and other ornamental shrubs are tastefully interspersed so as to blend in one harmonious whole, while at a short distance from his residence he has a fish- pond well stocked with German carp. His residence, which was erected in 1879, at a cost of $4,000, is one of the finest in the county. Although now possessing one of the finest fruit farms in the State, Mr. McCracken had from the first to contend with many difficulties; having naturally a taste for horticulture, he determined from his first location here to establish such a farm as he now has. At great labor and expense he had in 1874 made considerable progress when the grasshoppers destroyed all his trees, thus entailing upon him a loss of $4,000; but nothing daunted, he determined to succeed in his undertaking and replanting the following spring, his industry was rewarded three years later by selling $2,200 worth of fruit in the short space of three months. In 1879 he sold $5,000 worth of fruit. He has never since had a failure of his crop, thus showing what may be attained by industry, perseverance and patience, assisted by the fertile soil and genial climate of Kansas. Mr. McCracken is a member of the Horticultural Society, which meets monthly at his house. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a liberal-minded, public-spirited and enterprising citizen. He has contributed towards building five different churches. The money which he extends in charity amounts to hundreds of dollars annually, while he has ever evinced a warm and active interest in all that pertains to the welfare of the community.
W. J. McKEY, merchant, was born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1848. He is a son of Andrew and Anna B. McKey. Was married in 1870, to Miss Jennie Wilcox, daughter of Harvey and Rosa M. Wilcox. They have two children, William A. and George R. They buried one child, Rosa Belle, at the age of four years. He came to Kansas in 1877, and located in Elk County and remained five years, engaged in farming and stock raising, then moved to Valley Center, Grant Township, this county, and engaged in the mercantile business, successor to Beach Bros. In March of this year formed a partnership with Messrs. Beckmyer and Shreve, under the firm name of McKey & Co., and now carries a full line of groceries and dry goods. He owns a farm of 240 acres which he rents. The firm are doing an extensive business, which is rapidly increasing. Mr. McKey owns a residence, 24x26 feet one and a half stories.
L. C. NOBLE, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Pennsylvania in 1833. Is a son of Noble and Rebecca Noble, was married, in 1865, to Miss Nancy J. Clark, daughter of Alexander and Mary J. Clark, has four children - U. S. G. Noble, Anna M., William S. and Ida L. Mr. Noble came to Fort Scott, Kan., in 1869. After one year removed to his present home which contains 160 acres, eighty acres of which are in cultivation. His principal crops are corn, wheat and oats, with an average yield of corn, forty-five bushels to the acre, wheat, sixteen bushels per acre, and oats thirty bushels per acre. Mr. Noble enlisted in Company E, Thirtieth, Regiment Ohio Volunteers, was in the engagements of second Bull Run, South Mountain Antietam, Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, Atlanta, and other engagements of his command. Veteraned in 1864, and was mustered out in 1865.
SAMUEL I. PERIN, farmer, Section 30, P. O. Valley Center, was born in Ohio in 1836. Is a son of Ira Perin; was married in 1868 to Miss Catherine Lear; has two children - William H. and Myrtel Perin. He came to Kansas with his family in 1870, located on the farm on which he now resides which consists of 320 acres, 140 of which are under cultivation. The principal crops are corn and wheat which yield a good average. He is also engaged in raising stock. He has a fine orchard in bearing, containing apple, peach, cherry, and plum trees, and a variety of small fruits. Has a grove of forest trees surrounding his residence. He has been Treasurer of Grant Township for two terms, has served for five years on the School Board.
C. PINGEL, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Valley Center, was born in Germany in 1841, son of David and Dora Pingel. He came to Kansas in 1870, located on the farm which he now owns containing 160 acres, of which 140 are under cultivation; wheat, corn and oats are his principal crops, which have always yielded a fair average; has an orchard of apple and peach trees in bearing, and a nice grove of forest trees, his farm is under a good state of cultivation, is surrounded with a hedge, and other improvements which do credit to its owner's industry.
JOHN D. PINGEL, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Sedgwick City, was born in Germany in 1835, is a son of David and Dora Pingel; was married in 1858, to Miss Axana Welch, came to Kansas in 1870, located on the farm on which he now resides; owns 200 acres of land of which 171 are under cultivation, and is engaged in farming and stock raising; has a good orchard in bearing and a fine grove of forest trees; was in the army during the late war; enlisted in 1861, in the Thirty-sixth Illinois Volunteers, Company B, Cavalry, was transferred in the fall of 1862, to the Fifteenth Cavalry, Company K.; was in the battles of Bentonville, Pea Ridge, Corinth, Crab Orchard, Stone River, Chickamauga and in the engagements of the Atlanta Campaign; was mustered out in 1864, was in the township one year before its organization; is a member of the School Board.
ERASTUS A. POLLARD, farmer and stock feeder, Section 5, P. O. Sedgwick, owns 160 acres, 115 acres under cultivation and the rest is pasture, all enclosed with hedge and wire fence; a good frame dwelling 16x26 with an ell 12x18, one and a half stories; has just sold a quantity of stock, but has at present four horses, six cows and forty-two hogs. He was born in Vermont, June 18, 1818, and moved to Illinois in 1846 and came from there to Kansas in March, 1873, locating on his present farm. He was married in 1840 to Miss Rhoda A. Willmarth, They have five children - Elliot E., Luman A., Laura L., Clark and Grant. Mr. P. while in Illinois was quite a prominent citizen of his locality, serving as Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Highways, Collector and Assessor, Postmaster and for a short time freight and expressagent on the Chicago & Northwestern R. R. In Kansas has been Township Treasurer and on the School Board for years. He is a member of the Baptist Church.
S. L. RAYMOND, proprietor of the Cottage House and insurance agent, was born in Danbury, Conn., in 1834, son of Charles and Harriet Raymond. Was married in 1876, to Miss Catherine Ash, daughter of James E. And Catherine Ash. Has three children - Maud E., Mabel P., and Edward E. He came to Kansas in 1873 from Illinois, located in Grant Township, engaged in farming for nine years, then moved to Valley Center, opened the Cottage House, and engaged in the insurance business. Was in the late war, enlisted in 1861, in Seventh Illinois Volunteers, Company D. Second Battalion, Fourth Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, attached to the Army of the Mississippi. Was in the battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Bentonville, and other engagements of his command. Entered the service as private; promoted to Orderly Sergeant. In 1862 received commission as Second Lieutenant, six months later the commission was First Lieutenant, and in July, 1864, received the commission of Captain, which he held until the close of the war.
REV. JOSEPH M. ROMINE, Methodist Episcopal clergyman, was born in De Witt County, Ill., in 1853; is a son of Samuel F. and Sarah Romine. Was married in 1877, to Miss D. Ella Jones, daughter of James and Arthuema Jones. Has one child - Merrill W. Mr. R. was educated at the public schools of Montgomery County. Studied theology under Rev. T. H. Herdman, of the Southern Illinois Conference, and Rev. B. F. Rhodes, of the Illinois Conference. He was admitted to the Illinois Conference, at Bloomington, in 1873. Was ordained deacon in 1875, and elder in 1880. Remained with the Illinois Conference one year, when he was transferred to the Southern Illinois Conference, where he remained for three years, then was transferred to the South Kansas Conference, where he still remains. His first charge in Kansas was the South Haven Church, Sumner County; the second, Oxford, in the same county, and his third was Valley Center, where he has been for the last three years. He built a parsonage at South Haven, and organized a church at Palestine; organized the Park Church at Sunnydale, and has erected three church buildings, one at Sunnydale, Grant Township, at a cost of $2,000, and one at Valley Center, at $2,000, and one at Eldridge, Union Township, at a cost of $1,500. Has received forty members in the church since coming to Valley Center. Owns a farm of 160 acres.
J. M. V. SHREVE, merchant, P. O. Leon, Butler County, was born in Indiana in 1839; is a son of William and Susan Shreve. Was married in 1871, to Miss Eva Mann, daughter of M. B. Mann. His wife died in 1873. He has since remained single. Came to Kansas in 1880, located at El Dorado, Butler County, where he engaged in dealing in stock. In 1882, established his business at Leon, Butler County; associated with Mr. Beckmyer, under the firm name of Beckmyer & Shreve, where they have been doing an extensive business in general merchandising. In March, of this year, the firm associated themselves with Mr. McKey, of Valley Center, under the firm name of McKey & Co. Mr. Shreve expects soon to return to Leon, where the business demands his attention, leaving the management of the Valley Center store with Mr. McKey. He is a member of the Christian Church.
REV. W. C. SOMERS, farmer, Section 23, and Presbyterian clergyman, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Vermont, in 1820; is a son of William and Margaret Somers. He was married in 1856, to Miss Mary L. Trimble, daughter of John and Mary Trimble. He has three children living - Fanny, Laura B., and George Somers; and William L. Somers, who died at the age of nineteen years. Mr. Somers was educated at the Newburg Theological Seminary; graduated in the class of 1851. Was ordained to the ministry in Livivngston County, N. Y., in 1853, and has made it his life work. Has held the pastorate of Eastern churches for thirty years. In 1877 he came to Kansas from Ohio, located on his farm on which he now resides, which contains 160 acres, 120 of which are in cultivation. Wheat, corn, and oats are his principal crops. His son, George Somers, is living with him, and takes the management of the farm. At the time Mr. Somers came to Kansas there was neither church organization nor church building in the township, of his denomination. He succeeded in organizing a church, which now numbers fifty-one communicants, and has erected a commodious church building, at a cost of $2,000 - the Sunnydale United Presbyterian Church.
W. S. SPAULDING, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Sunnydale, was born in Lewistown, Pa., in 1834; son of Dustin and Rachael R. Spaulding. Was married in 1862 to Miss Caroline Taylor, daughter of Lyman Taylor. He has buried his three children, and in 1869 Mrs. Spaulding's death occurred. He came to Kansas in 1870, and after a short stay at Burlington, located in the fall of the same year upon the farm of 160 acres upon which he now resides; 122 acres are in cultivation, principally in wheat and oats. In 1864 Mr. Spaulding enlisted in Company C, Twenty-first Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in the engagement s of Cold Harbor, Burden's Plank Road, Poplar Grove Church, Warren's Raid, Dunwiddie Courthouse, Five Forks. Was on the picket line when Lee surrendered, and was mustered out in July, 1865.