|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (TABLER - ZEININGER).
B. M. TABLER, grocer, born in 1825, son of Jacob Tabler and Nancy (McMichen) Tabler. He married in 1848, Mariah Harrison, and has six children - Amanda, Alexander, Andrew N., Millard T., Lawrence B. and Lewis W. Came to Kansas, in 1877, located in West Wichita, engaged in farming until 1882, commenced grocery business. Was in the Mexican War, enlisted in the First Regiment Mounted Riflemen, Company G, Captain, J. S. Simonson. Was in the battles of his command; was wounded at the battle of Belen Gate, September 19, 1847; was discharged for disability, in December of same year. Enlisted in the war of the Rebellion, in 1861, Thirty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteers, Company A; was commissioned Captain in same year, was in the engagement of Wilson Creek, Pea Ridge, Nashville and other battles of his command; mustered out in 1864.
J. P. THOMAS, contractor and builder, was born in Canada East, in 1829; son of William Thomas. He married in 1849, Miss Eliza M. Orne. They have nine children - Edwin F., Alice M., Jessie J., Emma J., Julia M., William G., Phoebe M., Nellie E. and Gracie M. Mr. Thomas came to Kansas, in 1879, located at Wichita, and engaged in carpenter work and building. In 1882, he located business at No. 53 Main street. He also does millwright work in connection with his business. In the spring of 1883, he commenced milling at 51 Main street, where he has a feed and merchant mill, run by steam power. He was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in 1864, in the First Minnesota Heavy Artillery, Company F; was stationed at Chattanooga, was mustered out in 1865. Himself and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WILLIAM M. THOMAS, carpenter, was born in St. Louis, September 7, 1840. From the age of nine until fifteen years, he attended school in Boston, Mass., returning then to St. Louis, and remaining in that city a year. His home from that time until he came to Kansas, and located at Wichita, in 1878, was at Sedalia and St. Louis,, Mo. August 10, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-third Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and after participating in all the engagements of his command, and being wounded at Tupalo, Miss., August 16, 1864, was mustered out August 10, 1865. He was married at Sedalia, Mo., June 1, 1872, to Lillie M. Stoddard, a native of Wate town, Jefferson Co., N. Y. Their children are Lillian L., and Pansey Pearl. Mr. Thomas has been engaged in working at his trade since his residence in Wichita, and is a member of G. A. R., Garfield Post, No. 5.
FRANK M. TODD, bookkeeper, was born in Peru, Ind., in 1852; son of James H. and Mary C. Todd; was married in 1877, to Miss J. L. Packer, daughter of Isaac Packer; has two children - J. Harry and Rebekah Todd; came to Kansas in 1868; located at Topeka: remained until 1871, then came to Wichita. In 1874 was appointed Assistant Postmaster and clerk of the money order department. Held that position for five years. In the fall of 1868 engaged with Todd & Harrison as bookkeeper, and has remained with them from that time. Is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Wichita Lodge, No. 99, of Chapter No. 33, and of Mount Olivet Commandery, No. 12.
JAMES H. TODD, grain dealer, was born in Indiana in 1827; son of David and Sarah Todd. Was married, in 1849, to Miss Mary C. McCabe; has three children - Frank, Ida and Martha. Mr. Todd came to Kansas in 1868; located at Topeka; engaged in merchandising remained for three years, then removed to Wichita. Engaged in merchandising for two years, and in 1874 engaged in buying grain under the firm of Todd & Harrelson, and has continued in the business from that time. Their shipments of grain, in 1882, amounted to 450,000 bushels. Was in the War of the Rebellion; enlisted in 1861 in the Fifty-first Regiment Indiana Volunteers. Was elected First Lieutenant, and received his commission in December, 1861. Was also Acting Adjutant of the regiment. Was mustered out in 1862. Is a member the Presbyterian Church, and of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M.
WHITNEY R. TUCKER, of the firm of Allen & Tucker was born in 1844, son of Stephen Tucker and Christiana (Freeman) Tucker. He married in 1877 Miss Anna Pope, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Pope. They have two children - Gilbert and Joel. He came to Kansas and in 1871 engaged in the flour and feed business; in 1873-74 was salesman for J. M. Allen. He owns a farm on Section 33, Wichita Township; in 1875 formed a partnership with J. M. Allen in grocery business, firm of Allen & Tucker, No. 96 Douglas avenue. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity A., F. & A. M. Wichita Lodge No. 99.
CHARLES A. VANNESS, Clerk of the District Court, located in Lincoln Township, Sedgwick County, in December, 1870, his homestead being on northwest quarter section, Township 25, Range 2 east. He was the first Trustee of this township, and held the position three terms. In 1873 he became Deputy County Treasurer, and remained in the Treasurer's office nearly all the time until January, 1877, when, having been elected Clerk of District Court in November, 1876, he assumed the duties of the office. He has been re-elected to the same position until the present time, entering upon its duties for the fourth term January, 1883. Mr. VanNess is a member Board of Education of Wichita; of I. O. O. F. No. 93, Encampment 29; K. of P., No. 44, Uniform Div. No. 2, and G. A. R. Mr. VanNess was born in Watertown, Jefferson Co., N. Y., May 25, 1838. In the spring of 1856 he moved to Minnesota; lived there one year, then one year in Illinois, ten years in Ohio and one year in Iowa before coming to Kansas. He served in Company I, One Hundred and Forty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry (one hundred days' service) doing garrison duty, and prior to that was in the Provost Marshal's office, Gen. Rosecranz' Army. He was married at Macomb, Ill., November 12, 1858, to Marion J. Phillips. They have three children - Minnie M., now Mrs. P. S. Smith, of Wichita; Fred W. and Louis C.
C. A. WALKER was born in Cherokee County, N. C., November 1, 1845. In 1865 he removed from his native State and located in St. Louis, where he remained until 1868, when he emigrated to Kansas. His first location in this State was Leavenworth, in which city he remained one year and returned to St. Louis, where he remained until 1870. He then came again to Kansas and settled at Humboldt, and came thence to Wichita in July, 1872. Until 1876 he was employed as chief clerk in Receiver's office, U. S. Land Office, when he became connected with Wichita Bank, remaining with that institution and its successors until the present time. Since his residence in Wichita, Mr. Walker has served as Alderman of the city, and for several years as Clerk of the Board of Education. He is a member of A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. He was married in Leavenworth, March, 1868, to Arla Odell, a native of Cleveland, Ohio. They have one child Elvie.
R. L. WALKER, located in Montgomery County, Kan., in December, 1868, before the Osage Indians had left the region. In July, 1869, he removed to Ottawa, Kan., and after living there a few months went to Arkansas City, Cowley County, and lived there and at other localities in the same county until April 28, 1879. In the fall of 1873, he was elected Sheriff of the county and was re-elected in 1875, and in 1876 was elected Mayor of Winfield. In March, 1879, he was appointed Register of the United States Land Office of Wichita Land District. Mr. Walker was born in Jacksonville, Center Co., Pa., June 30, 1842, and reared in Ohio from two years of age; residing there until he came to Kansas. In April, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Nineteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for three months' service; re-enlisted in August 1861. Six months later he became Captain of his company. December, 1864, he was appointed Assistant Inspector General on Gen. Samuel Beatty's Staff and served until mustered out of service, in December, 1865. He was married at Winfield, Kan., January 4, 1876, to Sadie A. Webb, a native of Wis. They have two children - Edward William and Rebecca. Mr. W. is a member of the G. A. R.
W. F. WALKER, attorney, was born in North Carolina, August 8, 1833. In the spring of 1837, his parents removed to Henry County, Ind., where he was reared and educated, attending Franklin College, Johnson County, Ind., in addition to the public schools and academies of his neighborhood. He taught school six terms and also read law in Henry County, afterwards attending Cincinnati Law College, from which he graduated in April, 1861. He was admitted to the bar of Hamilton County, Ohio, and the following month was admitted to practice in Indiana; commencing his practice in New Castle, Ind., of which city he was Mayor in 1863. In 1866, he was elected District Attorney of Common Pleas Court and served two terms in that position. In 1870, he was appointed Deputy United States Internal Revenue Assessor; and in 1874, was elected Prosecuting Attorney of the Circuit Court, holding the position two years. From May 1, 1864, to September 29, 1864, he served in Company B, One Hundred and Thirty- ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. In November, 1877, he came to Kansas, and after spending about a year in prospecting, located and removed his family to Wichita in the fall of 1878, and has been engaged in the practice of law there, since the spring of 1879, and in April, 1881, was elected City Attorney of Wichita. Mr. Walker was married at Lewisville, Henry Co., Ind., April 26, 1855, to Sarah E. Carr, a native of that county. They have four children living - Frank B., Mattie A., James A., and Carl J. Mr. W. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, being M. E. H. P. of his Chapter, also Dictator of the K. of H., Lodge No. 528, and a member of the G. A. R., Garfield Post, No. 25.
T. B. WALL, attorney, was born in Cottonwood Township, Cumberland Co., Ill., January 1, 1857. He was educated at Lee's Academy, Coles County, Ill., graduating from that institution and also from the Law Department of McKendrie College, Ill. He passed an examination before the Supreme Court, at Mt. Vernon, Ill., and was admitted to the bar in June, 1877, commencing his practice in St. Clair County, and removed from there to Wichita, July 6, 1878. Since August 15, 1878, he has been associated with W. E. Stanley in the practice of law. He was married in Wichita, August 15, 1880, to Kate M. Alexander, a native of St. Clair County, Ill. They have one child - Alexander B.
J. A. WALLACE, agricultural implement dealer, was born in Cooper County, Mo., in 1840; son of Robert and Margaret (Steel) Wallace. Was married in 1879 to Miss Pamelia Hutchinson, daughter of Thomas and Polly (Finley) Hutchinson. Came to Kansas in 1878; located at Wichita. For six years previous to his locating in Kansas, he had traveled in the State, as agent for W. A. Wood's Mower and Reaper Manufacturing Company. On locating at Wichita he established business in the farm implement business, and in 1879, purchased the implement business of Hauck Bros., and the large stone building where the business was located on Douglas avenue. Business has increased from sales of $10,000 per year in 1878 to $125,000 in 1882. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M., Royal Arch and Commandery, and of the I. O. O. F. and Encampment.
HUGH R. WALT, Sheriff, was born in Mifflin County, Pa., July 18, 1852. In the spring of 1864 he removed to Center County, Pa., where he resided until the spring of 1869, locating at that time near Norwood, Mercer Co., Ill. In June, 1872, he came to Sedgwick County, Kas., and in the following fall returned to Pennsylvania, remaining about a year and a half in the East. In February, 1874 he located in Ninnescah Township, Sedgwick County, on southeast Section 9, Township 29, Range 2, west, and lived there until January, 1880, when he removed to Wichita, having been elected Sheriff November, 1879, to which office he was re-elected November, 1881. Mr. W. still owns the farm on which he first settled in Sedgwick County, and is engaged in stock and grain raising. He was married in Wichita December 16, 1875, to Belle Bebster, a native of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, by whom he has one child, Howard Vance. Mr. Walt is a member of K. of H., and Kansas Benevolent Association.
DANIEL WEBSTER, Deputy Sheriff, was born in Somerset, Perry County, Ohio, February 25, 1852. When he was a few years of age his parents removed to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, which was his home until 1874, when he removed to Oskaloosa, Mahaska Co., Iowa. He remained in that place until he came to Kansas and located at Atchison in 1878, from whence, after a residence of about six months he came to Wichita. He was engaged in prospecting for about one year, and then engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes, which he still continues. He was appointed Deputy Sheriff March 1, 1882.
A. D. WHEELER, grocery, born in Cayuga County, N. Y., in 1849. Son of V. M. Wheeler and Eunice Reed Wheeler. He married in 1869, Miss Helen A. Reed. Came to Kansas in 1871 and located at Topeka, and in the fall of the same year came to Wichita. In 1882 he commenced the produce business, and located at No. 22 Main street. He started the first delivery wagon at Wichita. In 1873 he commenced the grocery business and has continued in the same since that time. The business is located on the corner of Douglas and Lawrence avenues, Roy's Block. He was in the War of the Rebellion, enlisting in 1864, in the Third New York Light Artillery, Company A. He was in the battle of Kingston, 9th and 10th of March, 1865, and other engagements of his command, and was wounded at Kingston 10th of March, 1865. Was mustered out at the close of the war. He is a member of Wichita Lodge No. 98, and of Encampment No. 29, I. O. O. F. He is a member of Garfield Post No. 25, G. A. R.
S. S. WILBUR, M. D., was born in Waterville, Lamoille Co., Vt., November 10, 1828, and lived in his native State until July, 1877, when he located at Belleville, St. Clair Co., Ill., and practiced medicine in that place until he came to Kansas, in March, 1880. Dr. Wilbur graduated from the Medical Department of Burlington University, Vt., and was engaged in practice at Montgomery, Franklin Co., Vt., seventeen years before removing to Illinois. He located at Wichita in March, 1880, and has been engaged in practice in that city since that time. He was married in Johnson, Vt., March, 1850, to Miss Sarah Ann Payne, a native of Topsham, Vt., who died in 1854. In March, 1880, he was married at Belleville, Ill., to Lucetta Stookey, a native of Franklin County, Vt.
FERDINAND WILKE, proprietor of the Wichita Cracker Manufactory, born in Greiffenberg in Pommern, Germany, July 19, 1850, son of Fred Wilke and Sophia (Dahike) Wilke, natives of Germany. He married May 10, 1877, Miss Frances Schunmacher, born in Cincinnati, Ohio, November 2, 1854, daughter of John Schunmacher and Catherine Hilgeford, who came to this country from Oldenburg, Germany, in 1847. There is one child of this union, George Wilke, born May 24, 1878. Mr. Wilke came to Kansas in 1875, and located at Wichita, commenced in the bakery business in the same year. Business located at No. 42 Douglas avenue. Business has increased 100 per cent, since its establishment, and he has recently bought machinery for the manufacture of all kinds of crackers, snaps, jumbles, etc. He is a member of the Lutheran Church, also member of Wichita Lodge No. 93, I. O. O. F.
FREDERICK W. WHITLOCK, M. D., homeopathist, of Wichita, was born in Pyrmont, Germany, November 8, 1825. He came to the United States in July, 1837; and went direct to Van Buren County, Iowa, and practiced his profession there from 1858 to 1880, when he moved to Wichita, where he has ever since engaged in the practice of medicine. He graduated at the homeopathic college of Missouri in 1868. Dr. Whitlock has had a very peculiar experience as a physician. Physics came natural to him and he practiced medicine ten years before he graduated, being urgently requested to do so by his neighbors. The doctor was one of the first settlers of Van Buren County, Iowa, and still owns considerable property in Farmington, of that county. He married Miss Catharine Reckmeyer in St. Louis, in 1848. She was born in 1830, and died April 13, 1861, leaving three children, now living, Edward A., aged thirty; Albert, aged twenty-seven, and Caroline E., aged twenty-four. Edward and Albert are graduates of the Pulte Medical College, of Cincinnati, Ohio. Albert is still practicing medicine in Farmington, Iowa, and Edward is connected with his father in Wichita, Kas. Dr. Whitlock married again Miss Christiana Behme, July 6, 1862. He is a member of the German Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he is a Republican.
JOHN M. WILSON, wholesale merchant, was born in Fayette County, Ill., in December, 1848; son of John and Elizabeth (Harris) Wilson. Was married in 1876, to Miss Nellie A. Rankin, daughter of David and Maria L. Rankin. They have one child - Edith May. Came to Kansas in 1879, and located in Douglas, Butler County; engaged in merchandising for three years. In the fall of 1882, he located at Wichita and engaged in the wholesale notion business, at 32 Main Street. He was in the War of the Rebellion, and enlisted in 1864, in the One Hundred and Forty-third Regiment, Illinois Volunteers, Company C. He was mustered out in the fall of the same year. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, A., F. & A. M., of the I. O. O. F., and the Independent Order of United Aid Society.
ELIAS U. WINDERS, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Wichita, was born in Maryland, in 1832; son of Jacob Winders and Sarah (Landis) Winders. He married in 1853, Miss Elizabeth Eyerly, and has four children - Elva K., Harry, Mary A. and George E. He came to Kansas in 1876, and located on the farm where he now resides. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Harry Winders, farmer, Section 12, was born in Ohio, in 1857; son of Elias U. and Elizabeth Winders. He married in 1881, Miss Matilda Long. He came to Kansas with his parents, in 1876, and has been engaged in farming since that time.
JOHN A. WINDSOR, first came to Wichita in December, 1875, and finally located there in July, 1876. He has since been engaged in the business of loaning money with the exception of a short time in the spring of 1881, when he was engaged in the cattle business in company with his brother, Charles A. Windsor. Mr. Windsor is a native of Pike, Wyoming Co., N. Y. born April 12, 1836. In 1840, he moved to Angelica, Allegany Co., N. Y., and ten years later to Belfast in the same county, residing there and in Cuba of the same county, until 1868. He then removed to Springfield, Ill., and remained there engaged in the nursery business, until he came to Wichita, in 1875. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Mr. Windsor was engaged in speculating in the South during the war.
J. W. WINGARD, was born near Delphi, Carroll Co., Ind., September 25, 1843. He lived in his native county until the fall of 1870, when he came to Kansas and on the 14th of October, 1870, located at Mount Florence, Jefferson County, where he remained until he came to Wichita, November 24, 1871. During his first two years of his residence in Wichita he was engaged in carpenter work and since that time has been engaged in contracting and building, having erected many of the prominent business buildings, among others those of Corbett, Black & Zimmerly. Mr. W. has been a member of the Board of Education and was elected Coroner in November, 1879, holding the office by re-election, in 1881. He has been Chief Engineer of the Fire Department, since January, 1879, and is a member of the Old Settlers Society, and of the K. of H. He was married in Carroll County, Ind., November 27, 1862, to Emeline Idsking, a native of New Philadelphia, Ohio. Mrs. Wingard died August 21, 1866, leaving two children - Orra Anna, nor Mrs. Frank Kennedy, of Carroll, County, Ind., and Charles Elmer. He was married again April 7, 1872, in Wichita, to Rachel S. Grandstaff, a native of Carroll County, Ind., by whom he has one child - Mary Emma.
AMBROS WOENCH, gunsmith and safe lock expert, was born in Germany in 1832; son of Joseph and Caroline (Schlee) Woench; was married, in 1866, to Miss Amelia Stemphler, and has one child - Clara. His wife died in 1872. Married, in 1875, to Miss Tillie Lickfield; has four children - Emma, Augusta, Willie and Ambros. Mr. Woench came to Kansas in 1878; located at Topeka; remained three years; engaged at his trade. In 1881, located in Wichita, on Douglas avenue, where he now carries on the business. Was conscripted into the Confederate army, in 1861, at Galveston, Tex., where he then resided. Served until 1863, when he left the South and located in Philadelphia, and remained there until coming to Kansas, in 1878. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ALLEN A. WOOD, commission merchant, member of the firm of Redfield & Wood; born in Swanton, Vt, in 1858; son of Benjamin D. Wood and Sophia E. (Pratt) Wood; natives of Vermont; married, in 1877, to Miss Flora G. Redfield; daughter of J. C. and Hannah Redfield. They have one child - Carrie E. He came to Kansas in 1875; engaged as dry goods salesman; continued until 1879; then removed to Parsons, Kan.; engaged in business with G. Y. Smith & Co.; remained member of that firm for one year; returned to Wichita, and in 1881, went to Wellington, and in 1882, returned to Wichita, and in same year commenced business in firm of Redfield & Allen, west side of Main street, near First. Is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Wichita Lodge, No. 99, A., F. & A. M.
L. N. WOODCOCK, County Treasurer, is a native of Marion, Marion Co., Ohio. He moved from his native county to McLean County, the latter remaining his home until he came to Kansas in October, 1870. In June, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company G, Ninety-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until August 25, 1865, when he was mustered out as First Lieutenant. After coming to Kansas, Mr. W. spent several months prospecting, locating in January, 1871, in Lincoln Township, on Section 8, Township 25, Range 2 east, where he remained until July, 1874, engaged in farming and in 1872 and 1873 serving as Justice of the Peace. At that time he assumed the duties of County Treasurer, having been elected to the office in November, 1873, since which time he has been twice re-elected, in 1875 and in 1881. He removed to Wichita in 1874, and in the fall of 1878, engaged in drug business, which he continued until the spring of 1880, when he started his present book business. Mr. W. is a member of the I. O. O. F., Wichita Lodge, No. 93; K. of P., No. 44; and G. A. R., Garfield Post, No. 25.
W. C. WOODMAN was born in Philadelphia, and prior to his removal to Kansas, resided in Jacksonville, Ill. After locating in Wichita, he engaged in the mercantile business, which he continued for five years. In September, 1870, he commenced selling exchange, and in the spring of 1871, in banking and farm loaning business, having now in his bank, as assistants, two sons and a nephew. His son, W. S. Woodman, is cashier of the bank. Besides his business in the city, Mr. Woodman devotes much of his attention to stock raising, having a large sheep ranch nine miles south of Wichita, containing 800 acres, and 1,000 head of Merino and other valuable sheep, and well provided with all the accessories necessary for having them well cared for. This ranch is in charge of his son Thomas. Mr. Woodman has six sons and three daughters.
CHARLES ZEININGER, baker, born in Wurtemburg, Germany, in 1839, son of Christopher Zeininger and Eva R. (Spieth) Zeininger. He came to the United States in 1866 and located at Des Moines, Iowa. He married in 1871, Miss Caroline Baumann, daughter of John Baumann and Anna B. (Clouse) Baumann. They have four children - Anna R., Daisie, Lillie and Carl. He came to Kansas in 1873, and located at Wichita and engaged in farming for seven years. Commenced in the bakery business in 1880. His business increased 500 per cent. from 1880 to 1882. He is located on Douglas avenue, No. 22. Is an ancient member of the I. O. O. F.; is a member of the Knights of Pythias.