|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALLEN - LONG).
JOHN A. ALLEN, merchant, was born in Roxbury (now Boston Highlands), Mass., June 11, 1842. In 1854 his parents removed to Kansas, stopping for a time in Riley County, but soon after settling in Pottawatomie. He enlisted in August, 1863, in Company G of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry (afterwards Cavalry), and served three years, having been discharged June 13, 1866. After the war he farmed until 1872, when he entered the service of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, at Manhattan station, where he remained two years. He then became an organizer for the Sons of Temperance, and for a year, 1876-77, was engaged in lecturing, organizing in that time over thirty divisions. In 1878 was appointed manager of the Grange Co-operative Store, and has conducted the business with ability and fidelity since. In 1882 he was a delegate to the Republican State Convention, and helped to nominate the great temperance apostle, J. P. St. John, for Governor of the State. Is a member of the Masonic order. Was married January 13, 1879, at Kansas City, Mo., to Miss Belle P. Perry, of Manhattan.
JOHN A. ANDERSON, M. C., was born in Washington County, Pa., June 26, 1834. He was educated at Oxford, Ohio, Miami University, graduated in the class of 1853. His grandfather was a noted Presbyterian clergyman, as was also his father. The profession seemed a heritage in the family to be handed down from father to son, and young John became the third of his line to embrace the sacred calling. His first pastorate was in California, to which State he removed in 1862, locating at Stockton. A few months later he entered the Army as a chaplain in the Third California Infantry, and served in that capacity about one year. At the end of this period a wider field of usefulness was presented to him by the Sanitary Commission, which he accepted. His first duty was that of relief agent of the twelfth Army Corps. He was next transferred to the New York central office, and while there it was a portion of his duties to write up for the newspaper the great fairs held in the interest of the Commission in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, and other large cities. When Grant began his march through the wilderness, Mr. Anderson was made superintendent of transportation. He had under his command half a dozen steamers. He was required to have the supplies as convenient to the wounded as possible, and the movement of the steamers up one river and down another, and along the dangerous coast, through torpedoes and amid ambuscades, necessitated a daring and skill equal to that of any other possible duty. Upon the completion of this campaign he edited for a time a paper in Philadelphia, called the Sanitary Commission Bulletin. At the close of the war he was transferred to the Historical Bureau of the Commission at Washington. He remained there a twelve-month, collecting data and writing a portion of the Commissions history. In 1866, at the close of his labors with the Sanitary Commission, he was appointed statistician of the Citizens Association of Pennsylvania. This was an organization for the purpose of relieving the suffering resulting from pauperism, vagrancy, and crime in large cities. He served two years, visiting jails, penitentiaries, alms-houses, asylums, publishing the results of his observations, and contributing to the scientific world, valuable information and some important conclusions on the great social questions involved. Early in 1868, Mr. Anderson removed to Kansas, where, in 1873, he was made President of the Kansas State Agricultural College at Manhattan. When Mr. Andersons name was first proposed in this connection, he declined on the ground of want of experience as an educator. After long and careful consideration of the whole subject, he accepted, and instead of following in the old grooves with the customary results, he inaugurated a new departure, that bids fair to exert a lasting influence on educational affairs. This position he retained until his election to Congress at the close of the next decade. Here his career as a politician begins, but it is fitting, before going furhter, that his methods as a preacher should receive some attention. It may be assumed that his sermons were scholarly rather than intense; in other words, they affected the mind more than the heart, but all agree that they were able productions. His manners were rather unclerical, in that he disregarded many conventionalities erroneously supposed to hedge about a clerical life. For this reason there were some who misunderstood him. But those who know him well are aware that it took much persuasion to induce Mr. Anderson to temporarily leave the ministry for the college, it required even more to induce him to allow his name of be used as a candidate for Congress, but his friends are satisfied that he is even better fitted to succeed in his present sphere than in the one he has heretofore adorned. His first canvas was made at a trying period in the history of the party. Resumption had been ordered, but it was not an accomplished fact, and his predecessor was one of the leaders of the Greenback Republicans. He, however, visited and spoke in every organized county ion his district, the largest and most populous in the United States, and received the largest majority then ever given in the district. Great efforts were made by the corruptionists of the district to prevent his re-nomination, but when the convention met he received the votes of all but two counties. He again canvassed his district even more thoroughly than before, and was re-elected by the largest majority ever received by a Republican candidate for Congress. In debate he is aggressive rather than conservative, is a fluent and ready talker, and always fortifies himself well with facts before rising to speak on any subject. In the present House he stands third on the Agricultural Committee, and second on the Committee on Post-offices and Post Roads. During the long discussion which grew out of the apportionment of the House for the next decade, Mr. Andersons amendment fixing the number at 325 was adopted, it being considered the fairest and most practicable of any suggested. As a member of the Postal Committee, Mr. Anderson labored zealously for the passage of a bill reducing the rate of postage from three to two cents. His argument was that there is no occasion for the Post-office Department to be self-sustaining; that the greatest good of the greatest number should be the distinguishing characteristics of all governments, and that at the present rate of income the national debt would be entirely liquidated in twenty years more. In this it will be seen that his sympathies are with the masses - with the poor rather than the rich - especially in such unjust legislation as the extension of bank charters and the little revenue bill. During the present session, Mr. Anderson has urged the passage of a bill to compel the Kansas Pacific Railway to pay to the Government the cost of location, survey, and patents on lands received as subsidy, and to pay taxes on the same to the State of Kansas. Under the present law this great monopoly has been given land to the extent of millions of acres from the public domain, and yet the State derives no revenue from these lands in the way of taxes until the company shall have sold them to private individuals. In the debate on the River and Harbor Appropriation Bill, the passage of which has been the subject of great speculation during the past fortnight, Mr. Anderson advocated liberal appropriations for the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, while strenuously opposing extravagant expenditures for streams that are not national in character. In short, John Anderson is a useful man in whatever capacity he may serve, whether it be in the ministry, in the halls of Congress, as a public educator, or in the walks of private life.
J. H. BARNES, farmer, P .O. Manhattan, was born in Billerica, Mass., April 3, 1840, and was educated in the Lawrence High School. In 1854 he came to Riley County, Kan., and engaged in farming. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry. The regiment was afterward mounted, and Mr. Barnes was made saddler of the regiment with the rank of Sergeant. Was discharged by reason of the expiration of his term of service in August, 1865, and again began operation of his farm. In 1877 he went into the mercantile business, as agent of the Manhattan Grange, and carried on their store for two years. He then became manager of Gen. J. S. Casements magnificent stock farm of over 3,000 acres, 633 acres being in the Blue Valley, and still manages the generals great interests. The farm is run as a dairy stock farm, supplying the local markets and shipping supplies to Denver. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married in Manhattan, Kan., April 28, 1867, to Miss Mary L. Hubbard, of Caton, N. Y.
WILLIAM H. BOWER was born in New York City, October 13, 1829. When a child, his parents moved onto a farm in Chatham, N. J., where he was educated in the academy of that place. At about the age of seventeen he went to learn the cabinet-making business, and served an apprenticeship of four years. He then went West to South Bend, Ind., and Southern Michigan, and worked a year. In 1850-51 he traveled through Illinois, and returned to his old home, where he remained until July, 1854, when he traveled West, through Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas, looking upon the site of Leavenworth, then covered with a forest just beginning to be cleared away for the future city. Returning to Illinois, he worked for a time at Jerseyville, but the next spring, 1855, he again traveled through Southern Illinois, and finally located at Springfield, where he lived until February, 1858, when he came to Riley County stay. He settled at Manhattan, and worked as a contractor and builder until the war, when he enlisted as a private, in April, 1861, in Company B of the Second Kansas Volunteer Infantry. He served six month, when the regiment was mustered out by reason of the expiration of term of service. He was in the regiment sent against the Indians in July, 1864, and in the militia of the Price raid,in October of that year. In November, 1861, he was elected Clerk of the District Court, and re-elected in 1863, serving four years in that office, meanwhile acting as Deputy County Clerk and Register of Deeds. He has been City Marshal and Collector of Taxes, and is now a member of the City Council, which office he has before filled. In 1875 he opened his present business, undertaker, in the city of Manhattan. He belongs to the Odd Fellows. He was married September 24, 1862, to Miss Hannah H. Hornby, of Manhattan.They have one child - Mary C., born September 19, 1863.
H. F. CHRISTY, attorney, was born July 30, 1842, in Butler County, Pa., and on April 21,1861, enlisted at West Sunbury, Pa., in the Dixon Guards, which afterwards became Company C of the Eleventh Regiment Pennsylvania Reserves. The regiment was first sent to Camp Wright, near Pittsburg (sic), where it remained until after the first battle of Bull Run, when it was ordered to Washington, where it arrived July 19, 1861, and was immediately placed on garrison duty at Tennallytown until October, when the whole division of Pennsylvania Reserves crossed the chain bridge into Virginia, and took up winter quarters on the Leesburg Pike. At Gaines Mills, June 27, 1862, the Eleventh Regiment held a part of the original line of battle while the army was being transferred to the south side of the Chickahominy. Just at dusk of that disastrous day, being entirely cut off from the rest of the army, almost the entire regiment was captured. Mr. Christy was one of those who were sent to Castle Thunder, where he remained several weeks, being sent thence to Belle Isle, remaining there until exchanged (about August 4) with 3,000 others. He reached Aikens Landing on the James River, the point of exchange, after a march of more than twenty miles, without shoes or stockings, having only a blouse and pants, even shirt and cap having been appropriated by his captors. Rejoining his regiment in time for the Fredericksburg fiasco under Burnside, he was again captured by Stonewall Jacksons men, and confined in Libby Prison for six weeks when he was paroled, and reaching Annapolis, was placed on detached service until discharged June 13, 1864. After leaving the army, he engaged in the oil business at Oil City, Pa., for some time, when he removed to Ohio and engaged with the Graffton Iron Company at Leetonia, Ohio. Mr. Christys first visit to Kansas was in 1870, but in 1871 he returned to Ohio, and again engaged in the coal and iron business, becoming treasurer of the Leetonia Iron and Coal Company, at Leetonia. On the failure of this corporation, he turned his attention to the law, and was admitted to the bar in 1874 at Canfield, Mahoning County, Ohio. He at once began practice at Leetonia, Columbiana County, continuing there until 1879, when he returned to Kansas, locating at Manhattan, and is now in charge of the insurance department of Hon. E. B. Purcell. Mr. Christy is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was the first Commander of Lew Gove Post, No. 100, G. A. R. He is a member of the Kansas bar, and though a staunch Republican, does not take an active or prominent part in politics.
HARLAN P. DOW, real estate, loan and insurance agent, and Deputy United States Collector of Internal Revenue, was born in Otsego County, N. Y., February 20, 1840. He was educated at Hartwick Seminary, in his native county. At the age of seventeen, his parents, Daniel and Sarah Dow, moved to Page County, Iowa, where he attended Amity College, but did not graduate. He taught school until the war began, when he entered the army and enlisted August 18, 1861, in Company E, Kimballs Regiment in Missouri service. On the organization of the regiment, he was made Second Lieutenant. The regiment was discharged at the expiration of his term of enlistment - six months - and Mr. Dow re-entered the service as a private in Company C of the Fourth Missouri Cavalry (M. S. M.), and again after six months service, was commissioned Second Lieutenant; served three years and was discharged by reason of expiration of term of service. In April, 1865, he was commissioned by Gov. Fletcher, of Missouri, as Captain of a company of State troops, engaged in guarding railroads and bridges until August, 1865, when his military career was finally concluded, his company being mustered out. After the war he returned to Iowa and engaged in farming. In May, 1869, he removed to Kansas, settling on a farm, near the center of Riley County. In 1873 he was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, and in 1874 to the Senate, and in 1876 he was re-elected to a term of four years, but resigned in 1878. On being appointed Deputy United States Collector for the Third Revenue Division of the district of Kansas, he soon after his appointment removed to Manhattan, where he now resides. He belongs to the I. O. O. F., G. A. R., and United Order Ancient Templars, of which he is Supreme Vice-Templar. He was married July 25, 1860, at College Springs, Page County, Iowa, to Miss Nannie M. Brown. They have four children - George H. born August 9, 1861; Minnie Weber, born December 3, 1866; Albert H., born August 11, 1868; Helen Pearl, born October 14, 1871.
GEORGE T. FAIRCHILD, A. M., president of the Kansas State Agricultural College, was born in Brownhelm, Lorain County, Ohio, October 6, 1838. His father was a farmer and a teacher. There were four sons and four daughters, of whom President Fairchild was the youngest. Two of his brothers are also college presidents. The next older, James H. Fairchild, was for years the presiding officer at Oberlin; E. H. Fairchild at Berea, Ky. He was educated at Oberlin College, graduating in the class of 1862; studied theology in the same institution, graduating in 1865. In the same year he was elected instructor in the Michigan Agricultural College, and the next year was made professor of English Literature, which chair he ably filled until 1879, when he was called by the Board of Regents to the presidency of the Kansas Agricultural College. This position was unsolicited, the first intimation he had of the honor being the notice by telegraph of his appointment. In addition to his official duties, he fills the chair of Logic and Political Economy. He was ordained to the ministry in the Congregational Church in 1870, but owing to his professional duties, has not regularly entered the work. He was married November 25, 1858, on the fiftieth anniversary of his parents marriage, the golden wedding, at the old homestead of his parents, to Miss Charlotte Halstead, a classmate in college. They have five children, all living.
GEORGE H. FAILYER, M. S., professor of chemistry and physics in the Kansas State Agricultural College, was born in Manhaska County, Iowa, December 14, 1849. He was educated in the college with which he is now connected, graduating at the head of his class in 1877. In 1878 he was appointed to his present professorship, and has been in charge since. Under his management the equipment of the chemical department of the college has been greatly enlarged and its efficiency increased. He is one of the foremost men of the State in his department of learning, and is popular with the faculty and students.
ISAAC T. GOODNOW was born in Whitingham, Windham Co., Vt., January 17, 1814. At the age of fourteen, he lost his father and by farm and factory labor supported himself and aided his mother and sisters. He was a merchants clerk in Marlboro, Vt., and Colerain, Mass., several years. Spent several winters in school and his leisure hours in reading and study. In 1832 he united with the Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1834, after some preliminary study, he walked fifty miles to Wilbraham Academy, Mass., and entered that popular institution. With this he was connected till 1848, first as pupil then as teacher in the primary and English department; and in the last ten years as professor in the natural sciences, having previously also taught with success in Oxford, Maine, Chicapee and West Springfield, Mass. He was now called to the same professorship in Providence Seminary, East Greenwich, R. I., where he remained till 1855, establishing a reputation as a successful teacher, skillful experimenter, and attractive lecturer, and a faithful but kind disciplinarian. Not confining himself to his special department, he as a matter of choice, for self improvement, instructed classes in Greek, rhetoric, mental and moral science, mathematics, etc., pursuing at the same time a course of untiring self-culture. In twenty years the pupils in his own classes numbered some 6,000. In 1845, he received the honorary degree of Master of Arts from the Wesleyan University, Middleton, Conn. In 1838 he was married to Miss Ellen D. Denison, of Colerain, Mass., daughter of Major David Denison, and sister of Rev. Joseph Denison, D. D. In the winter of 1854-51, with his brother-in-law, Rev. J. Denison, he entered wit hall his energies into the Kansas struggle; wrote the first appeal in Zions Herald of Boston to the Anti-slavery men of New England, taking the ground that upon the prairies of Kansas was to be fought the great battle between slavery and freedom; that as went Kansas, so would the nation go; that the crusaders of freedom must rush to this battle field to the rescue. In March, 1855, he went in advance of a colony and selected the present site of Manhattan for their location, which was held in spite of a border ruffian raid; and the votes of his company, March 30, 1855, essentially aided in the election of S. D. Houston and Martin F. Conway, the only Free-State members of the first Territorial Legislature of Kansas. He was a member of hue first celebrated Laurence (sic)Free-State Convention August 14-15, 1855, of the Leavenworth Constitutional Convention. It was a favorite object with him and Rev. J. Denison and W. Marlatt to establish a great central college. They secured a site of 160 acres and the Blue Mont Central College Association was chartered, in 1858, and in 1860 a building capable of accommodating 250 students was completed, and a library and apparatus secured ,all costing some $20,000, mainly the result of three years untiring effort on the part of Prof. Goodnow among his Eastern friends. While the building was in an unfinished state, in the winter of 1859-60, the first school was successfully commenced by Rev. W. Marlatt as principal and upon his resignation Mr. Goodnow was elected president in 1861, and the institution continued to flourish. In March, 1861, he was the agent at Manhattan to secure the location of the State University, which failed by the veto of Gov. Robinson. November 5, 1861, he was elected Representative to the Second Kansas Legislature. In 1869 he was appointed land commissioner of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Company, still holding his position as college agent till 1873, and as commissioner till 1876, having sold one and one-half million dollars worth of land. In 1877 he returned to his rural home, beautifully located upon high ground between the old and new college buildings, and overlooking the city of Manhattan, two miles away. There he finds full employment in laboring upon his little farm, and in the enjoyment of a fine library and the numerous friends that his pursuits and public business have secured him. He is well supplied with the newspapers and periodicals of the day and consequently thoroughly posted upon all passing events.He takes special interest in benevolent enterprises of the day, devoting one-tenth of all incomes to charitable purposes, having systematically practiced this for the last forty-four years. November 4, 1862, he was elected State Superintendent of Public Instruction, and was an active participant in the contest that located the State Agricultural College at Manhattan in 1863, with its endowment of 90,000 acres of choice land. This was accomplished by the donation of Blue Mont College building, etc., to the State. As Superintendent he traveled the first year in his own conveyance 4,000 miles, lecturing in twenty-nine counties, visiting schools of every grade, consulting school officers, acquainting the people with their school system and stirring them up to immediate action. In 1864 he was re-elected by a heavy majority. The statistics of the several years of his school administration, amid war, raids, and invasions, show a record of improvement such as no other State under similar circumstances ever effected. In 1867 he was appointed agent for the sale of land belonging to the Agricultural College, and in three years sold enough to create an endowment fund yielding $18,000 a year, devoted expressly to the payment of the professors. The Anti-slavery and temperance causes with him have been specialties from the first. He was among the 7,000 who voted for James G. Birney, the first Liberty party candidate for President in the great Harrison campaign of 1840; and his voting ever since has been in accord with these great principles. In short he has still a lively interest in the mental, moral and physical improvement of the human race.
PROF. IRA D. GRAHAM, superintendent of telegraphy in the Kansas Agricultural College, was born in Benton County, Iowa, August 29, 1855. Educated at Abingdon College, Abingdon, Ill., leaving the institution, on account of business, but a few days before graduating. He immediately entered the service of the Western Union Telegraph Company and remained three years. He then taught in the public schools of Illinois two years; and in 1878, came to Kansas and taught a year at Elmdale, Chase County. In 1879 he was appointed to his present position, and has been in the chair since. He is secretary of the Faculty, and bookkeeper to the Board of Regents. He is now devoting his leisure to the study of natural history, to which department he expects to devote his future life work. Is as correspondent of eminent scientists in Switzerland, Germany and London. He has made collections in geology, entomology and zoology, and is a practical taxidermist. He was married at Manhattan, June 12, 1882, to Miss Mary McConnell of Topeka.
ROBERT J. HARPER, Clerk of the District Court of Riley County, was born in Ross County, Ohio, October 25, 1823. The Judge was raised a farmers boy, obtained a fair education and spent several years in teaching in the public schools of Ohio. In 1847 he removed to Des Moines County, Iowa, where he taught school for two years and after entered into commercial pursuits. In February, 1859, he came to Kansas and in May of the same year settled at Manhattan. The same fall he was elected to the office of County Clerk and Register of Deeds for Riley County, which offices he filled for two years. August 25, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company G, of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and on the organization of the regiment he was appointed Regimental Quartermaster Sergeant September 23, 1863. He was commissioned First Lieutenant and Regimental Commissary of Subsistence. He was on detached service during a large part of his term of service as Post Quartermaster at Independence, Mo., and as Commissary of Subsistence on the staffs of Generals McKean, Sikes and Blunt. He was finally discharged from service August 19, 1865, and returned to his home in Manhattan. In 1867 he was elected to the offices of Probate Judge and Clerk of the District Court. He has held the latter office continuously until the present time, and was Judge of Probate Court until January, 1879. He has been a member of the City Council several terms and is now Treasurer of the city government. He is a member of the G. A. R. He was married July 21, 1862, at Woodburn, Ill., to Miss Catharine F. Pierce. They have no children by birth, but have two adopted daughters, Josie and Nellie Maud, who grace their elegant home in the city.
GEORGE W. HARROP, druggist, was born at Pittsburg (sic), Pa., August 17, 1848. When a child, his parents moved to Gallipolis, Ohio, where he lived until the age of twenty years. He was brought up to the business of pharmacy. In 1869, he moved to Leavenworth, Kan., and clerked in Browns drug store until 1871, when he and a brother began business for themselves in the same line, in South Leavenworth. In September 1875, he moved to Manhattan and bought a drug store on Poyntz Avenue. He has a fine store and business, and is popular and prosperous. He is a member of the City Council, and belongs to the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. He was married November 21, 1872, at Leavenworth, to Miss Fannie Brown. They have one child - George Bertrand, born August 7, 18732.
WILLIAM C. JOHNSTON, druggist, was born in Moscow, Clermont Co., Ohio, September 28, 1844. Attended the common schools until September 4, 1862, when he enlisted in the First Ohio Volunteer Independent Battery, served in the Army of the Potomac, Eighth Army Corps, and was discharged July 1, 1865. Returned to Ohio and entered the Mount Hygiene College at Clermontville, Ohio, where he was a student for a year. In December 1866, he came to Kansas, settling in Manhattan, and engaged as a clerk in a drug store. In 1868, he opened business in the same line on his own account, on the south side of Poyntz Avenue, where he has a very fine store and a fine trade. He is a member of the K. of P., K. of H. and K. & L. of H., having been the first presiding officer of each of these orders in the Manhattan lodges. He was married January 2, 1872, at Manhattan, to Miss Myra J. Dimmock. They have one child - Nellie.
J. W. KING, merchant, is a native of Indiana, and came to Kansas with his parents in 1857, locating upon a farm in Pottawatomie County, where he remained until 1867, when they removed to Riley County. Mr. King was engaged for upwards of nine years in running a horse-power (and subsequently steam) threshing machine, but in 1879 he went into the furniture business in Manhattan, although he still continues to have his men engaged upon the thresher during the season. He is the owner of several dwelling-houses in town and has lately fitted up a commodious hall above his store (which is a two-story stone building), suitable for society meetings, etc. His town property is valued at $4,000 to $5,000. Mr. King is essentially a self-made and self-educated man, and affords another example of what can be accomplished by perseverance and industry. He is a P. W. P. of the Western Star Division, Sons of Temperance, and has done much to sustain and strengthen it.
CHARLES F. LITTLE, M. D., was born in Milford, Hillsboro Co., N. H., January 27, 1836. At the age of three years, his parents removed to Kewanee, Henry Co., Ill., where he was educated in the high schools of that place. He studied medicine with Dr. T. D. Fitch, and entered Rush Medical College, from whence he graduated in the class of 1863. He was commissioned as First Assistant Surgeon of the Nineteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, February 16, 1863, and served with the Regiment until their term of service expired in July 1864, when he began practice in Princeton, Ill. In July 1866, he came to Manhattan, Kan., and has been in continuous practice here since. In 1875, he was elected a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, serving with ability and fidelity to the trust. He was a member of the Committee on Railroads and also of the Committee on Legislature Appointment. He is a member of the firm of T. E. Williams & Co., druggists. He is a member of the Masonic order and the G. A. R. He was married February 22, 1866, at Princeton, Ill., to Miss Charlotte Swift. They have four children - Elsie Ada born June 22, 1867; Nellie P., December 15, 1868; Jennie Belle, October 87, 1871, and Frederick Swift, June 25, 1873.
SAMUEL LONG, merchant, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, November 16, 1833. In 1855, he removed to Minnesota, and after two years came to Kansas, settling in Manhattan in that year. He enlisted in September 1862 in Company G of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteer Infantry, which was afterward changed to Cavalry. He served three years and was discharged at the close of the war, having in 1864 been promoted to the office of Second Lieutenant. He was elected Sheriff of Riley County in 1859, re-elected in 1861, and was serving his second term, when he entered the army, abandoning the emoluments of the office for the service of his country. After the war he became a farmer, but after four years of farm life he again moved to town and began business as a merchant, which he still pursues, carrying at the present time a fine stock, exclusively of boots and shoes. In 1880, he was elected County Commissioner for a short term of one year and declined a re-election the following year. He has been for years a member of the City Council. He is a Mason in good standing. He was married in Manhattan, February 3, 1861, to Miss C. J. Huntress. They have three children - Mary, born July 17, 1862; Albina, born April 9, 1867, and Susie, born October 12, 1875.