|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (FULCOMER - NORRIS).
J. FULCOMER, farmer and fruit raiser, at Belleville, Kan, was born in Indiana County, Pa., in September, 1840, but was raised in Ohio until he attained his fourteenth year. In 1854 he emigrated with his parents to Wisconsin, locating in Dane County. In 1861, they moved to Sauk County, and in 1863 was married to Miss Eliza M. Stewart of Troy, Sauk Co., Wis., and was engaged in farming and hop raising until about 1869, when he sold out, and for about eighteen months, he was in the butchering business at Spring Green, Wis. In 1871 he moved to Kansas and located in Republic County, and soon after took a homestead on northeast quarter of Section 34, Township 3, Range 3, which he began to improve, but losing one of his oxen, he did not get along as fast as he would otherwise have done. Did all his work the first year with one ox. In 1878 he bought another quarter Section southeast of Section 31, Township 3, Range 3, and now has it well improved. Has 205 acres under the plow, and has been engaged in raising horses and hogs a number of years. Mr. Fulcomer is one of the largest fruit raisers in the county, and is the largest peach grower; Has 3,000 trees, 2,000 of which are in bearing. At the present outlook his crop for 1882, will reach from 800 to 1,200 bushels; also has 2,000 trees growing from the pit, planted in the spring of 1882. His peach crop netted him in 1879, $200. This was the first crop raised; in 1880, $150, and in 1881, the net was 50 per cent less, it being a poor fruit year; the crop for 1882, placing it at a low estimate, will net $700. Besides the peaches, he has 200 standard apple trees, cherries, crab-apple, plum and berries in abundance, making the orchard on the whole, one of the best in the county. Mr. Fulcomer takes great pride in his success as a fruit grower, and spares no time or labor in making it profitable and keeping it up in good shape. Has a good stone house in the midst of his orchard, well protected by a large grove of forest trees. They have four children--William H., Eliza A., Edward A., and Mary J. Mr. and Mrs. Fulcomer and their two oldest children, are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
J. C. GRIFFITH, M. D., and farmer, was born in Dearborn County, Ind., in 1821, was brought up on a farm until twenty-one years of age, when he commenced reading medicine, taking a course at the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati. In August, 1861, he entered the army, serving in the Twenty-ninth Indiana Infantry, as hospital steward for the first eighteen months; received a commission as First Assistant Surgeon of the regiment, serving until 1864; a good share of the time there was no other surgeon in the regiment. After coming out of the army, he located in Pawnee, Ill., and engaged in the practice of medicine, remaining five and one-half years, coming from there to Kansas in 1870, locating in Republic County; March 4, had taken a homestead on Section 35, Township 2, Range 3. Previous to this there was an old log house on the present town site, and Mr. Griffith put a small stock of drugs into this building which he brought with him, and sold the first goods in Belleville. At the same time commenced putting up a building for a store, and had it completed and put a stock of family groceries with his drugs in the building, and commenced selling from the new store July 4, 1870. He was appointed Probate Judge in August, 1870, and filed on Section 2, Township 3, Range 3, for the town site of Belleville by virtue of his office, and succeeded in getting the county-seat located at this point, and turned it over to the town company. Put up a house on his homestead during the summer of 1870, and moved his family there. The place is about one-half a mile from Belleville. In March, 1871, sold out his business and turned his attention to improving his farm and breaking the first upland prairie in the county. Some of his friends laughed at him for saying that he could raise crops on the uplands; the same land raised seventy-five bushels of corn to the acre under the plow; has good stone house and large grove planted, which is now forty feet high, with fruit etc., and has forty acres of timber and stone quarry on Section 36, with thousands of cords of good building stone. Was elected and served one term as Probate Judge. After his first term by appointment had expired, he was also elected School Director, and called a meeting to see what could be done about building a school house. They furnished $3,000 bonds, and the Doctor was instructed to purchase material and put up the building; but when he came to see the specifications, he saw it was impossible to build it for that money, and concluded to go ahead, and put it up as far as the money would go, being afraid if he called a meeting and told them that it would cost more, they would withdraw their votes. The first six months Mr. Griffith served as School Director, Probate Judge, and attended to his store and to improving his farm; practiced medicine besides preaching the gospel. He was married in 1841, to Miss Sarah Martin of Madison County, Ind. They had one daughter--Nancy I. He was married again in 1853, at Warsaw Ind., to Miss Mary E. Personett. They have three children--Beecher F., Benjamin T., and Dora A. He is a member of the Belleville Lodge No. 55, A. F. & A. M.; also of the I. O. O. F., and the Christian Church.
W. R. HALL, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., in 1837. In 1870 he came to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took one of the first homesteads in Union Township, on Section 35, Township 2 Range 3. This place he improved by breaking 100 acres, planting a grove and orchard, building a house, etc., and remained there until 1877, when he sold out and bought a farm in Belleville Township, consisting of 320 acres on Sections 22, 23, 26, and 27; of this he has 100 acres under the plow, 70 acres fenced for pasture, and has planted 6OO peach and 12 cherry trees, besides small fruits. He has three fine springs on his place; a branch of Riley Creek also waters a part of the farm, and there is considerable young timber growing up. He has a good stone house and 100 rods of stone wall taken from a quarry on the place. Is fitting up this place for a stock farm, and will increase his stock as fast as the place will warrant it. He has twenty-one head of cattle, twenty-two head of hogs, and four head of horses. His land is rolling, and has a beautiful building spot commanding a view of Belleville three and one-half miles away. He was married in October, 1859, at Loweville, Lewis Co., N. Y., to Miss Estella Collins. They have six children--David, Corhilia, Xura, Lelia, Amos, and Onique.
E. A. HALLOWELL, Register of Deeds, was born in McLean County, Ill., October 11, 1850. In 1854 his parents moved to Iowa, locating in Keokuk County. While there he received the benefits of a common school education, and then finished a course at the Normal school. At the age of eighteen he learned the harness makers trade, and remained there until the spring of 1871; coming from there to Kansas, and locating 1n Belleville, Republic County, and was employed as salesman in the general store of Van Tromp & Hallowell, remaining with them two and a half years. In 1872 he took a homestead on Section 8, Township 2, Range 3, in the northeast quarter. During the time he was with Van Tromp & Hallowell, he was clerk in the post-office which was in the store, (Mr. Van Tromp being Postmaster) having most of the post office work to attend to. From there he was in the employ of C. H. Smith, who was running a general store, and remained with him fifteen months; was then employed by Edward E. Chapman & Co.. remaining with them one year. Then spent the summer of 1875 in Denver, Col.; after returning from Colorado, was appointed deputy treasurer to collect the last half of the county taxes for 1875. He was appointed deputy clerk, remaining in the position until September, 1876, when he took a trip to the Centennial Exposition, remaining about six weeks. After his return, in company with I. O. Savage, engaged in the real estate and loan business which he conducted until the fall of 1877, when he was elected Register of Deeds on the independent ticket, by a majority of 178 votes; was re-elected in 1879 on the independent ticket with 362 majority. In January 1880, he formed a co-partnership with Mr. Adams in the drug business, continuing in this about sixteen months; again in 1881, he ran on the independent ticket, and was elected by thirty-one majority for Register of Deeds, and is now filling his third term. Is a thorough business man, and has made a success of every enterprise he has taken hold of. In 1877 he made final proof on his homestead. In 1880 he was married in Keokuk County, Iowa, to Miss Maud Hair of that place. He is a member of Belleville Lodge No. 129, A. F. & A. M., of Belleville Lodge No. 55, A. O. U. W., and of Belleville Lodge No. 96, I. O. O. F.
J. E. HALLOWELL, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Cecil County. Md., in 1833. At the age of seven years his parents moved to Belmont County, Ohio, remaining there two years, thence to Champaign County, Ohio; in 1854 went to McLain(sic) County, Ill., and engaged in farming. September 18, 1861, enlisted in Company I, Thirty-ninth Illinois Infantry; served until June 30, 1865. In May, 1864, was captured on the Weldon Railroad, about eleven miles from Petersburgh, Va.; was taken there and confined in a tobacco warehouse, and from there was taken to Andersonville, Ga., and was there from May 26 until about October 1; from there was taken to several other prisons, and November was taken to Savannah. There were 7,000 prisoners in Milan, and the Rebels took a vote to see how many were for Lincoln and McClellan. Mr. Hallowell was so reduced that he could not walk, but crawled 150 yards to vote for Lincoln. November 26, 1864, he was paroled. They received three crackers that night and three the next morning made from corn meal ground with the cob, without salt. Got into the Union lines and reached Annapolis, Md., in December, and was in the hospital until the last of December, when he received a furlough. While in Andersonville had no covering of any kind and a scant allowance of clothing, and when it rained, lay in the mud. Was sometimes sixty hours without food of any kind. When he was captured, had $25, but they robbed him of this, so he had nothing to help himself with. Mr. Hallowell has never recovered from the effects of his prison life, and when he came out weighed but sixty pounds. After his discharge, in June, 1865, went to Ohio and then to Illinois, and in September, 1866, came West and traveled over all of Kansas, trying to recruit his strength. In 1870 he located at Belleville, and in company with V. Van Toup, put up the first store building in the place, and opened it July 15, 1870, with a line of general merchandise, and continued until 1877. In 1879 was elected Clerk of the District Court, and is now serving his second term. He was married in 1872 to Miss Fannie Rule, of Belleville. They have one daughter--Lula Gay, born October, 1874. Mr. Hallowell is a member of John Brown Post, No. 44, G. A. R.; Olympic Lodge, No. 36, Knights of Pythias, of which he is now keeper of seals and records. Is adjutant of the G. A. R. Post, and the president of the Soldiers' Reunion Association. He is a pleasant gentleman and has many warm friends in this county.
D. W. HAMILTON, Deputy Register of Deeds, was born in Washington County, Ind., in 1838. In 1858 he emigrated to Illinois, locating in Henry County, where he engaged in teaching school and penmanship until 1866, then took a course in ornamental penmanship with his brother, who was conducting a business college in Hartsville, Bartholomew County, Ind.; then located in Henry County, Ill., where he remained most of the time until 1871; a part of the time was engaged in teaching school, and the balance of the time devoted to classes, which he instructed in penmanship, with the exception of a few months previous to coming West, which he spent as teacher of penmanship in the Rockford Business College; from there came West, locating in Republic County, Kan., in March, 1871, and took a homestead on Section 23, Township 2, Range 5, northwest quarter. His father-in-law, Nathan Martin, taking the northeast quarter, same section, and building on it the first frame building in the township. Mr. Martin died in March, 1873. During the summer of 1871, Mr. Hamilton succeeded in having a post-office established which was called "Mimosa," of which he served as Postmaster until June 1876. Improved his place, remaining on the place until 1879; then went to Courtland township, where he engaged in teaching school and penmanship until the fall of 1880 (Mr. Hamilton is considered the best scribe in the State), when he received the appointment of Deputy Register of Deeds, under E. A. Hallowell and located in Belleville. In 1869 he was married at Spring Hill, Ill., to Miss Achsah A. Martin of that place. They have four children living, viz: Cora K., Don W., Daisy H. and Louie G. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
GEORGE A. HOVEY, farmer, P. O. Belleville, was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y. in 1836. Soon after his parents located in Ohio until 1848, going from there to Crawford County, Pa., where he remained until 1853; then went to Springfield, Erie Co., Pa.; then emigrated to Iowa and settled in Red Oak, and engaged in farming until 1861, when he entered the Union army, serving in the Fifteenth Iowa Infantry. At the end of six months was transferred to the Seventeenth Regiment, and served as Sergeant until July 4, 1863, then appointed Quartermaster Sergeant; was taken prisoner at Tilton, Ga., in October, 1864, and was taken to Cahaba, Ala., from there to Camp Lawton, where he remained until some time in November; while there, voted for Lincoln; thence to Blackshick and other points, and reached Andersonville on Christmas, where he remained until April, 1865. He was then taken with about 3,100 to Jacksonville, Fla. They were set free with three days' rations, the best they had received since being captured, but a number were made very sick after partaking of the food, and Mr. Hovey told them to empty the rations on the ground, as he supposed it was poisoned, and as he had charge of the camp, he told all who could, to keep up, and he would go to Jacksonville and reach the Union lines for help. This he did the same day, April 28. He was discharged June 27, 1865. Mr. Hovey had some money, which he was lucky enough to save, and this saved him from hunger. He changed his greenbacks for confederate money, and paid $32 for a bushel of sweet potatoes and meal. After receiving his discharge, he returned to Iowa, and remained there until 1871, when he came to Kansas and located in Liberty Township, where he took a pre-emption. Was among the men to help organize the town; Mrs. Hovey naming the township. He was elected trustee for two terms. In June, 1873, traded his farm in Liberty Township for one in Freedom, which he now owns. Has 100 acres under the plow and the balance in pasture and meadow. Has eight acres of timber, with a good orchard of apples, cherries, and some peach trees, besides small fruits; has eighty rods of hedge and good buildings, and is one of the best places in the town. Mr. Hovey has always taken an active part in the politics of the county, and is a strong advocate of the temperance cause. In the spring of 1881 settled in Belleville and bought his place. He was married in 1856, at Erie, Pa., to Miss Symonds, of Springfield, Pa. They have one son--Charles E. He is a member of John Brown Post, No. 44, G. A. R. He is one of the auditors of the Republic County Co-operative Society, and deputy of the Kansas State Grange, P. of H.
J. C. HUMPHREY, editor of the Telescope, Belleville, was born in Canada in 1845. At an early age learned the printers' trade, and in 1863 went to Ohio and was on the road about five years, and then returned to Canada, where he remained until 1870, working at the printers' trade, from there he came to Kansas, locating in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 2, Township 3, Range 3. In September, 1870, established the Telescope, the first newspaper in the county, and has published it most of the time since. There were but two houses in Belleville at that time, and homesteads could be had within two and one-half miles of the town. The size of the paper was 14x18 inches, four pages. The paper is now eight column, 24x36 inches, Republican in politics, having a circulation of 800, and is the official paper of the city and county.
A. F. KINDT, farmer, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, 1847, and was raised there until twelve years of age. In 1857 emigrated to Missouri, locating in Buchanan County, remaining there nine years, and in 1869 emigrated to Kansas, locating in Doniphan County, remaining there two years, thence to republic County, and took a homestead on Section 34, northwest quarter, Township 3, Range 3. Has sixty acres under the plow, fifteen acres fenced for pasture, and eighty-five acres fine hay land. Has about one hundred bearing peach trees, with plums, cherries, apples and small fruits, and raises from sixty to one hundred head of hogs annually. Has good stone house and one of the finest gardens in the town. The house is presided over by his sister, Miss Crissie Kindt. Mr. Kindt is a member of Belleville Lodge, No. 96, I. O. O. F. and of the Encampment.
JOSIAH KINDT, County Sheriff, was born in Northampton County, Pa., in 1836. When about one year of age, his parents emigrated to Ohio and located in Tuscarawas County, and here he lived until he reached the age of manhood, and was traveling for a number of years. In 1861 he removed to Illinois, and located in Champaign County, and enlisted in the Twentieth Illiinois(sic) Infantry the same year, and served three years and three months. After coming out of the army he located at St. Joseph Mo. In 1868 he settled in Doniphan County, Kan., remaining there two years. In 1870 he located in Republic County and took a homestead on Section 1, Township 3, Range 3. He was among the early settlers here, and has his place well improved, and has bought 160 acres on the same section, making a farm of 320 acres. He has 160 acres under plow, eighty acres pasture for hogs, and is raising a good many hogs. He shipped the first stock from Republic County, consisting of two cars of cattle and two cars of hogs. During the spring of 1874, built the first stock-yards in the county, at a cost of $200. He has a good stock farm, with plenty of living water and timber for shade, good buildings and all modern improvements. In 1874 he was elected Sheriff of Republic County as an independent. There were two others in the field; Mr. Kindt received 125 majority, and has run four different times as an independent, and has been elected each time; is now serving his fourth term. He has been a good officer, giving the highest satisfaction. Mr. Kindt was married in 1880 to Miss Jennies Golyean, of Mitchell County, Kan.; they have one daughter--Lulu. He is a member of Belleville Lodge, No. 96, I. O. O. F.
JOHN KUHN, farmer, P. O. Belleville was born in Switzerland in 1835. In 1868 he emigrated to America, landing in New York City in September of the same year, and soon after emigrated to Washington County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming, remaining there until 1871. Coming from there to Kansas, he located in Republic County, and took a homestead on Section 28, the northeast quarter, Township 3, Range 3; was one of the first settlers in this part of the township; has fifty acres under the plow, five acres of good timber and one acre of orchard, two miles of hedge, eighty acres fenced for pasture, with both hedge and wire; has put up a good stone house, 21x28 feet, two stories high, the stone for the house coming out of a quarry on the farm. He also owns the southwest quarter of Section 28, which he filed on in 1875 as a timber claim; has planted forty acres of timber, consisting of box elder, ash, honey locust, walnut and coffee bean; has twenty-five acres under the plow, besides the timber; the balance in pasture. A branch creek running through the place furnishes plenty of living water, and building stone in abundance of fine quality. He is engaged in stock-raising; has eight head of horses, twenty-six head of cattle, thirty-five head of hogs, and 185 head of sheep of the cotswold and merino breeds; the average clip has been five and three-fourths pounds to the head, and his sheep has(sic) paid him thirty-five to fifty per cent on the investment; has a very desirable farm, and has made his property since he came to the State. He was married in 1857 to Miss Katherine Barman, of Switzerland; they have six living children--Ida T., Harmon, Robert, Johnnie, Louisa and Henry. Mr. Kahn is a member of the Anti-Horse Thief Association.
JOHN M. LAWRENCE, county superintendent and farmer, was born in Rensselaer County, N. Y., in 1826. In 1827, his parents moved to Oneida County, where he remained twenty-five years, and was engaged in teaching for several years. In 1852, he moved to Illinois, and located in De Kalb county, where he engaged in teaching, afterwards in the mercantile business. When the war broke out was one of the first to volunteer, serving three years in Company F, Thirteenth Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteers: receiving his discharge in 1864, some time afterwards enlisted in Company G, Second Regiment Illinois Light Artillery, serving until the close of the war. After coming out of the army, returned to De Kalb County, Ill., remaining there until 1870, then moved to Kansas, locating in Republic County and took a homestead on Section 10, Cortland Township; was one of the earliest settlers of this township, putting up the first frame building in the town. Has one of the best farm houses in the county, and the place well improved, has added eighty acres to the place making in all 240 acres with about 100 acres under plow, balance being used for pasture and hay land, is raising some stock, and has some timber planted. Was the first Justice of the Peace in the township, serving eight years. He was elected County Superintendent in 1880, and if close attention to business is anything to judge from, he is giving good satisfaction; has 103 districts and 4 joint districts in the county, 105 of these being under his control. He was married in 1867, to Mary J. Churchill, of De Kalb County, Ill. He has five children, viz:--Arthur E., Frank M., Mary M., John W., and Edwin G. Mr. Lawrence is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a local preacher in the same; also a member of John Brown Post No. 44, G. A. R., and of Belleville Lodge No. 129, A., F. & A. M. He was re-elected County Superintendent in the fall of 1882.
J. E. McCULLOUGH, carpenter, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1839. In 1843 he emigrated to Iowa, and located in Jefferson County, remaining there thirty years; learned the carpenter's trade there, and worked at this, but farming the most of the time while in Iowa. In 1873, he came to Kansas and located in Belleville, April 23. In May, he purchased a farm of 160 acres, northeast quarter of Section 11, and moved on to this place in the fall, which he proceeded to improve, and has made his home there until the spring of 1882, when he rented his place and took up his business in Belleville. He has eighty-five acres broken on his place, 11,000 forest trees planted, or about eight or nine acres, and has a good orchard with small fruits of all kinds. He put up a good frame house with stone basement 16x24 feet with a 14x18 feet wing to it, and fair stables. He has ten acres fenced for pasture, and has a good spring, which furnishes water for all the stock the place will accommodate, and has been raising stock, making a specialty of hogs, and keeps three horses, cows and some hogs at the present time. He has a very desirable place about one mile from the center of Belleville. He was married in 1860, at Salina, Jefferson Co., Iowa, to Miss Ellen Turner, of that place. They have had six children, four of whom are living--George B., Ida B., who is teaching school, James I. is also teaching, and is the youngest male teacher in the county, and Mary E., (Frank T. and Charles E. S., deceased.) Mr. McCullough is a member of Belleville Lodge No. 55, A. O. U. W., and a member of the Grange, also of the Methodist Episcopal Church; politically he is a Republican. Mr. McCullough has seen hard times in his early days, and grasshopper times, but he is now better fixed, and he appreciates it.
J. A. MOSHER, proprietor of the Pleasant View Nursery, was born in Somerset County, Maine, in 1847, was raised there until fourteen years of age, then moved to Kennebec County, and at the age of sixteen years enlisted in the Fourteenth Maine Volunteer, serving ten months. After coming out of the army he remained at home one year, and then emigrated to San Francisco, Cal., where he remained one year, thence back to Maine, and in 1868, emigrated to Kansas, stopping in Doniphan County, remaining there one year; thence went to Council Bluffs, Iowa; remained at Council Bluffs four months, clerked in the Commercial hotel, then from there to Montour, Tama Co., Iowa; there bought butter and eggs, and shiped(sic) to Boston, Mass., then moved to Republican County, Kan., and took a pre-emption claim on Section 12, Township 3, Range 4. He was about the earliest settler on the prairie in Scandia Township. He at once commenced to improve his place with the intention of putting out a nursery. In the spring of 1871, he put out 60,000 apple grafts, which he kept increasing, and they were in fine condition and ready for market, when in 1874, the grasshoppers destroyed all his plants, and the money and labor of years was swept away. Although this was a severe loss to his hopes, he again started in the spring of 1875, by planting 10,000 more grafts of various kinds, which the following year were all destroyed. Stil1 in the face of this difficulty, he did not give up, but in 1877 commenced again by putting out 40,000 apple, 5,000 cherry, 100 plum trees, and one acre each of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries, currants and grapes, and a large variety of crab and pear trees, and ornamental trees, evergreens, vines, etc.; raised 500,000 Osage orange and honey locust plants for hedges, and in fact there are but few berry trees, plants or fruits which will grow in this part of the country, which he cannot furnish out of his own nursery. This fruit is all choice and he makes specialty of hardy varieties, which are especially adapted to this climate and soil. He is having good sales and gives entire satisfaction, and should receive a liberal patronage from the residents of Repub1ic County, as this is one of the industries which help to build up a county. Mr. Mosher is entitled to a good deal of praise in the success he has made in the face of difficulties which would have staggered most men. He is wed to his chosen vocation, and is never so happy as when he can be working at some plant or tree to improve it or develop its beauty. He has a great many fruit trees bearing, and will enlarge his orchard with the intention of making one of the best fruit farms and nurseries combined in this State. Besides this nursery he has four and one-half miles of hedge on his place, and ten acres of fine timber, forty acres fenced for pasture, thirty acres seeded to tame grasses, and the balance under cultivation, and is raising a few very choice cattle. He has some imported full-blood Poland China hogs from Butler County, Ohio, and is making a specialty of fine hogs and other imported stock. He does not do as large a business as some in the county in this line, but raises as choice a lot as is to be found in the State of Kansas. He receives the highest price paid. He was married in August 3, 1873, at Belleville, Kansas, to Miss Helen Wilcox of that place. They have five children--Frank, Daniel, Alta, Fred and Grace. He is a member of Belleville Lodge No. 129, A., F. & A. M., Scandia Lodge No. 165, I. O. O. F., and John Brown Post No. 44, G. A. R.
T. M. NOBLE, attorney, was born in Dubois County, Ind., in 1851; soon after his parents emigrated to Taylor County, Iowa; in 1860, came to Kansas, located in Shawnee County, remaining about one year, going from there to Atchison County, Mo., where he was raised on a farm receiving the benefits of the common school, and then he took a course at College Springs Academy, Iowa, finishing his course in 1875, in the mean time had been reading Blackstone, and in 1875, took up the study of law with E. W. Thomas, of Brownville Neb., remaining there two years; in 1877, returned to Atchison County, Mo., and was admitted to the bar in this county. He began the practice of law, the following year located at Belleville, Kan., and began the practice of law and handling real estate; has worked up a good practice, and made lots of friends during his short residence in Belleville. Was elected County Attorney this fall.
WILLIAM NORRIS, farmer, P. O. Scandia, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio in 1878(sic); was raised and lived there until 1848, going from there to Indiana and located in Adams County, remaining there three years; thence to Illinois, locating in De Witt County, and engaged in sheep-raising, remaining there eighteen years; then located in Missouri, and remained there two years and in 1871 located in Republic County, Kan., taking a homestead in Section 31, Town 3, Range 3. He has 150 acres under the plow, three acres of timber, one mile of hedge, good house 16x24 feet, plenty of good water, stables and granary, also owns eighty acres in Section 19 same town with fifty acres under the plow, good house, three acres of pine forest trees in this place, and a good orchard with fruit in abundance. He has seventy head of hogs, seven head of cattle, does not confine himself to stock-raising exclusively. He was married in 1841, in Richland County, Ohio, to Miss Martha Enlows. They have nine children--Prudence, T. W., Emaline, Narcessa, John, Thomas, Louisa, Charles and George.