|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
L. M. BALLOU, proprietor Colver House. This house was erected in the fall of 1878. Mr. Sumner opened it to the public Jan 1, 1881. It has a capacity of forty rooms and is kept in first class style for a Western hotel. Mr. Ballou came to Ottawa County in the spring of 1879, and engaged in agricultural pursuit and stock-raising. He now has a fine farm of 196 acres with about 100 acres cultivated, and keeps a fine lot of thoroughbred cattle and hogs, two and a half miles east of the city, on Lindsey Creek. He brought the celebrated trotting horse Harry Pulling to Ottawa County, from Beloit, Wis. Mr. Ballou was born in North Adams, Mass., Jan. 1, 1843. Was raised in the mercantile and hotel business in his native county. He came to Chicago, Ill., in 1868, where he engaged in the commission business some time, then went to Beloit, Wis., in 1876, where he engaged in raising fancy stock until he came to Kansas. He enlisted in nine months' service in Company B, Fifty-second Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in the fall of 1863. He was married in 1865 to Miss Harriet O. Tower, of North Adams, Mass. They have four children - Sadie, Grace, Harry and Arthur Garfield. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and he of the Universalist Church.
H. S. BARNES, dealer in general merchandise, opened trade in the fall of 1876, with a stock of $5,000; now carries a stock of $15,000. Employs three clerks and occupies two rooms, each 20 x 60 feet deep, and one room 20 x 40 feet deep. He was born in Sherman, Fairfield Co., Ohio, April 10, 1843. Began life as a clerk in native place. Went to New York City when he was nineteen years old, where he clerked in the dry-goods and commission house of James Talcott. Went to New Haven, Conn., 1868, and became one of the firm in the The Allen City Shirt Company. Continued in that business until Jan. 1, 1876. He then traveled in many portions of the Northwest and finally located at Minneapolis, Kan. Was married in February, 1878, to Miss Nettie A. Hoag, of Lawrence, Kan., a native of New Haven, Conn. They have two children - Sidney Hubbel and Edward David. He is a member and Elder of the Presbyterian Church of Minneapolis, Kan.
FRED A. BOWEN, County Superintendent, came to Ottawa County in 1874 and made teaching his principal occupation; also followed agricultural pursuits. Elected County Superintendent, fall of 1882, and took charge of Ottawa County schools Jan. 8, 1883. He was born in Rock County, Wis., Jan. 21, 1856. Parents moved with family to Grant County, same State, when he was small, and there he was raised. His parents both died when he was quite young. In 1861 he went with friends to Chickasaw County, Iowa, where he lived until 1870, when he returned to Grant County, where he was educated and lived until he came to Kansas. Was married Oct. 30, 1880, to Miss Ida Titus, of Ingham County, Mich.
G. E. BURNHAM, of the firm of Burnham & Clark, dealers in all kinds of grain, live stock and coal, proprietors of the Golden Belt Elevator, the capacity of which is 30,000 bushels. In the season of 1882, until April, 1883, he shipped 290 car loads of wheat and corn. Mr. Burnham commenced trading in land and live stock, and came to Ottawa County in the spring of 1870, and farmed until the fall of 1876, when he was elected County Treasurer of Ottawa County, and by re-election held the office four years. He was born at West Jefferson, Madison Co., Ohio, July 16, 1843 and was raised in his native county. Enlisted in May, 1864, in Company C, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in action of New Creek Station, Va., and actions of Baltimore and Ohio R. R. Was mustered out Sept. 1, 1864. Lived in Ohio until he came to Kansas. Was married in the fall of 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Durflinger, of the same place. They have five children - Lora E., Anna K., Ella M., Mary L. and Daniel L. He is a member of Kennesaw Post, No. 47, G. A. R., and Blue Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Minneapolis.
MOSES BUSH, United States Marshal, Deputy Sheriff and County Coroner. He came to Minneapolis in November, 1876, and engaged in agricultural pursuits; now has 320 acres of fine land. Was elected County Coroner in fall of 1879; appointed Deputy Sheriff in the winter of 1878, and U. S. Marshal same year. Has served as Assessor of Centre Township two years, City Marshal three years, and Street Commissioner for Minneapolis four years. He was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., Oct. 11, 1827. Lived in native State until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1849 to Miss Martha Lewis of Chautauqua Co., N. T. They have four children - Charles P., William A., Florence M. and Flora B.
JACOB CAMPBELL, proprietor Campbell's Elevator, and dealer in all kinds of grain. This elevator was erected in 1878, being the first elevator erected in Minneapolis. The main building is 36 x 46 feet, and 30 feet high; the two wings each 12 x 30 and 14 x 16 feet. The capacity is 12,000 bushels of grain. In the season of 1882-'83 he shipped 100 car loads of corn and 156 car loads of wheat. He came to Minneapolis, Kan., in 1867, and engaged in the live stock business, and continued that in connection with the grain trade since. He was born in Preble County, O., in 1834; enlisted at Camp Denison, O., 1861, in Company B, Fifty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry; participated in all battles of his command, including about forty engagements; mustered out in June, 1865. After army life he lived in Ohio until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1871 to Miss Clara J. Elder, of Preble County, Ohio. They have five children - Boyce, Anna, Ward, Bertha and John. He is a member of Knights of Honor, and Kennesaw Post, No. 47, G. A. R. He represented Ottawa County in the Legislative session of 1871.
W. M. CAMPBELL, physician and surgeon, came to Minneapolis, Kan., in March, 1879, where he opened a medical office, and since has practiced his profession. He was born in Sussex County, Del., April 1, 1837. His parents, with their family, migrated to Preble County, O., in 1829, where the Doctor was raised. He began the study of medicine in 1855, graduated from Cincinnati (Ohio) College of Medicine and Surgery, class of 1860, and began the practice of his chosen profession in Ohio, where he continued until coming to Kansas. He was an examining surgeon in recruiting service in several localities in the latter State during the late war. He is now United States Examining Surgeon for Pensions. He was married Feb. 18, 1855, to Miss Lydia B. Huggins, of West Alexandria, Preble Co, Ohio. They have five children - Jenny Inez, married to Charles E. Waters, of Minneapolis; Herbert R., a book-keeper; Earl K., now married, living in Minneapolis, James E. and Joseph W. The Doctor has a stock ranch, consisting of 800 acres of fine grazing land, where he keeps about 100 head of fine cattle. He is a member of three first branches of Masonry, President and Medical Examiner of E. A. U., and a member of the M. E. Church.
DAVID C. CHIPMAN, County Attorney, came to Kansas, and located at Minneapolis in 1879, where he opened a law office. He was elected Mayor of the city in the spring of 1882. He was born in Schuyler County, Ill., Oct. 19, 1847, and was raised in his native county. He enlisted in February, 1864, in Company B, Eighty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was transferred to Company H, Twenty-first Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He participated in all the battles of his command, and was mustered out in January, 1865. He began the study of law at the age of twenty-four; graduated at Abingdon College, Knox Co., Ill., in the class of 1870; was admitted to the bar of practice at Ottawa, Ill., in 1874; admitted to the bar of practice in the District Court of Ottawa County, Kan., in the summer of 1879. He was married in 1870 to Miss Juritha Berry, a native of Indiana, but raised in Henderson County, Ill. They have three children - Claude C., Roy R., and Lloyd L. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., K. of H. and Kennesaw Post, No. 47, G. A. R.
DR. EZRA CROSBY, physician and surgeon, and dealer in drugs, medicines, and druggists' sundries, began trade in Ottawa County, Kan., in the summer of 1873, since which time he has practiced his profession and followed the drug trade in Milo, Lincoln County, three years. He first began in the dry-goods trade, and finally took up the drug trade, and now carries a stock of $3,000. He was born in Plymounth, Penobscot Co., Me., Nov. 7 1820, living in his native place until 1841, when he went to New Orleans, La., where for a short time he was engaged on public works thence; to Waverly, Pike Co., Ohio, where he was married to Miss Elizabeth Madox, of Highland County the same State. He lived in Ohio until 1854, employed in contacting and building. He then went to West Union, Fayette Co., Iowa where he lived until 1873. He began the study of medicine in 1854, and is a home-read physician. In 1862 he enlisted in Company A, Thirty-eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, participating in all the battles of his command, and promoted to First Lieutenant; mustered out in 1865. They have two sons - Glocus P., in company with his father, and Lorin E., engaged in the drug trade at Milo, Lincoln County. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic order.
J. P. CUMMINS, President and proprietor of the Bank of Minneapolis. This bank was organized in 1875, being the first bank opened in Ottawa County; J. H. Hanners, Cashier; capital employed, $15,000 to $20,000. They do a regular banking business, and have as Eastern correspondents, Donnell, Lawson & Co., N. Y. City; Bank of Kansas City, Mo. Bank building was erected in 1880; Opera House was erected in 1882. The banking rooms are 20 x 90 feet; the Opera House above is 44 x 90 feet. The entire building cost $6,500, and was built of cut stone. They also do a real estate and law business, under the firm name of Cummins and Hanners. Mr. C. came to Minneapolis in 1875, and opened a law office. He was born in Jackson County, Ind., Nov. 26, 1838, and was raised there; enlisted in June, 1863, Company F, Fifty-fourth Indiana Volunteer Infantry; mustered out the following fall; re-enlisted in October following, and recruited in Company H, for One Hundred and Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry and was made First Lieutenant, afterward breveted Major; mustered out Jan. 9, 1866. He participated in all battles of his command. He began the study of law at the age of twenty-six; admitted to the bar of practice in 1867. He practiced his profession seven years in Quincy, Iowa, serving four years during the same time as County Auditor. Married in March, 1862, to Miss Sarah Lutes, of Jackson County, Ind. They have seven children - Nancy Emeline, Esther Eveline, Howard Ulysees, Charlotte, George Arthur Marion, James Paine and Freedie David. He has been a member of the Masonic order since 1865; also a member of K. of P.
ED. O. DAVIS, dealer in a general line of household furniture, and undertaker. The business was commenced July 4, 1881, by Hoag & David and continued until March 15, 188? when Mr. Davis became proprietor. He occupies rooms 23 x 40 feet deep. They first carried a stock of $1,500. He now carries an average stock of $3,000. He was born in Athol, Mass., Jan 2, 1858, and lived in his native place until 1866, when the family moved to LaFayette, Tippecanoe Co., Ind., where he was raised until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1881 to Miss Emma C. Nelson, of Iowa County, Wis. They have one daughter - Mabel Nelson. Mr. Davis is a member of Nazareth Encampment, No. 39, I. O. O. F., and A., F. & A. M., No. 143 , of Minneapolis.
C. M. DUNN, proprietor of the Ottawa County Index, established Feb. 8, 1880, by W. C. Thompson, as Republican, and February, 1881, purchased by J. S. Burnham, Greenback in politics, and in January, 1883, purchased by C. M. Dunn, politics Greenback. Circulation 1,000; county inhabitants, 10,000.
JESSE S. FELT, County Treasurer, came to the above county in fall of 1871, locating on a farm in northern part of the county, where he followed agricultural pursuits and stock raising until elected to the above office in the fall of 1881. Took charge in October, 1882. The bonds required are $100,000. He has served as Township Trustee of Logan Township two terms and filled vacancy in same office several times. Was born in Licking County, Ohio, March 10, 1844. Was raised in Knox County, Ohio. Enlisted in September, 1861, Co. E, 20th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all battles of his command. Promotions were Corporal, Quartermaster-Sergeant, and First Lieutenant of his company. Mustered out July 15, 1865. Soon after removed to Benton County, Iowa, and engaged in agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1874 to Miss Mary Smith, of Jackson County, Iowa. They have three children - Alva R., Jesse N. and Artie. Mr. F. has 160 acres of fine agricultural lands in Logan Township, ninety of which is cultivated.
JOHN HENRY & SON, dealers in a general stock of merchandise. They opened trade in Minneapolis, Kan., December, 1875. Erected a fine store of cut stone 28 x 84 feet, two stories high, with basement, at a cost of $5,000. They employ three clerks in the business and carry an average stock of $12,000. Lucas Henry, a member of the above firm, came to Tecumseh, Kan., with his parents in 1869; came to Ottawa County in 1870, locating near Minneapolis. Engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1873. Lucas Henry was born in Clinton County, Ohio, in 1849. Was raised in Warren County, same State, until twenty years old, and came to Kansas. He is a member of K. of P., Minneapolis.
CHARLES HOYT, proprietor of the Sentinel, established Aug. 5, 1875, by Charles Hoyt and D. R. Crosby; Jan. 1, 1876, the interest of Crosby was purchased by Thomas Midgely; Jan. 1, 1878, Midgely sold his interest to W. W. Hooper; and Jan. 1, 1879, Mr. Charles Hoyt became sole proprietor of the paper, and has since been its publisher and proprietor. Has a circulation of 1,2000, and in politics is Republican.
H. H. JACK, manager of the Chicago Lumber Company's yards, of Minneapolis. Mr. Jack opened this lumber yard in July, 1878; carries a large stock of building material and all kinds of lumber. Mr. J. came to Clay County, Kan., and located on a homestead near Clay Centre, in 1869, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1875; then clerked in a store in the latter place three years, then took charge of a lumber business there, until he went to Concordia, Kan., and opened the lumber trade, where he continued until 1878. He was born in Armstrong County, Pa., Aug. 1, 1848, and lived there until 1867, when he went to Butler County, Ohio, and farmed until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1879 to Miss Emma O. Reddick, a native of Wisconsin. They have one daughter - Alma Reddick. Mr. J. is a member of Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and K. of H., of Minneapolis, and is a member of the City Council.
D. H. McCONNELL, of the firm of McConnell, Weckerly & Co., dealers in hardware, stoves, tinware, pumps, cutlery, tools, and harness, at Minneapolis and Bennington, Kan. They opened trade in the spring of 1880. They occupy rooms at the former city, 20 x 60 feet deep, basement same size, and employ six men in both places. Carry stock of $15.000. D. H. McConnell came to Lawrence, Kan., in 1871, and worked at this trade of tinsmith until 1876; then came to Minneapolis, working at the same occupation four years, then embarked in the above business. He was born in Canada, Aug. 29, 1848, and lived in that country until he emigrated to Kansas. Was married in 1878 to Florence. Bush, of Jamestown, N. Y. They have three children - Guy Mann, Mabel Grace, and Bertha Mary.
JAMES McHENRY, physician and surgeon, came to Minneapolis, Kan., in July, 1867. He was the first physician to establish himself in Solomon Valley, and has practiced since. He was born in Sparta, Randolph Co., Ill., Aug. 16, 1839, and was reared there. He was educated in the Medical College of St. Louis, Mo., graduating from the Kansas City, Mo., Medical College, in March, 1881. He began the practice of medicine in 1867. He enlisted in April, 1861, in Company H, Twenty-second Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of his command until Chickamauga, where he was taken prisoner, and confined in Southern prisons until the close of the Rebellion, and was mustered out in April, 1865. He was married in 1873 to Miss Amelia V. Stuart, a native of Kentucky. They have two children - Carlotta E., and Beatrice E. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M. He has served in the capacity of Examining Surgeon for Pensions for some time.
ISRAEL MARKLEY, proprietor of the Elkhorn flouring mills. These mills were built at various times. He began their erection in 1864, and began operating in 1869. The size of these mills is 48 x 50 feet, three stories high, with a basement. Capacity, 180 bushels of wheat per day. There is nine-feet head in the water-power. Employs three men in the business. He located in Franklin County, Kan., February, 1877, and farmed. Followed peddling some time, afterward lived in Jackson and Saline counties, where he was engaged in farming and stock-raising. He came to Ottawa County in 1863. There was not a building in Minneapolis at that time. He erected a log cabin in the above place, in the fall of 1863, on the place where he now resides. He was born in Cambridgeshire, England, in 1834. He came to America in 1856, and settled in Lake County, Ill., where he lived until he came to Kansas. Was married in March, 1860, to Miss Mary Link, a native of Germany. They have seven children - Katie, Benjamin Franklin, Lizzie, James, Mary , Johnnie, and George. Katie is married to Albert Smith, of Selina, Kan. Mr. Markley is a member of Blue Lodge, of Minneapolis; Council and Commandery of Salina; I. O. O. F. of former city.
G. H. MIDGLEY, proprietor of Livery No. 1. The capacity of his barns is seventy-five horses. He began the above business in the spring of 1878. Came with parents to Minneapolis, Kan., in 1872, and has resided there since. He followed agricultural pursuits some time, lumber business a year; then engaged in his present occupation. He was born in Embro, Oxford Co., Canada, Sept. 28, 1856, and lived in native country until he came to the West.
CORYDON C. OLNEY, dealer in real estate, agent for Fort Scott & Gulf, and Union Pacific Railroad lands and National Land Company's lands, also lands for non-residents. He also keeps a regular loan office. His books show 150,000 acres of fine agricultural and grazing lands on sale, under the firm name of C. C. Olney & Co. They also do a law and collection business, and are editors and proprietors of the Solomon Valley Mirror, a paper devoted to the truthful representation of Solomon Valley. They keep the only complete set of abstract books in Ottawa County. C. C. Olney came to Lindsey, Ottawa County, in the summer of 1871. He was born in Livingston County, N. Y., Oct. 6, 1840, and lived in his native county, enlisted Aug. 13, 1862, in Company I, One Hundred and Thirtieth New York Volunteer Infantry, and after a year's service the regiment was transferred to cavalry and called First New York Dragoons. He participated in forty-seven battles and was promoted regularly to Second Lieutenant. He was mustered out July 27, 1865. In the spring of 1867 he came to Atchison County, Mo., and engaged in agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas. Was married in February, 1868, to Miss Kate M. Smith, of Westfield, Mass., born Jan. 6, 1847. They have three children - Pussie, Roy T. and an infant son. Mr. O. is a member of Blue Lodge, A., F. & A. M., and Past Master of the same. Is a member of Kennesaw Post, No. 47, G. A. R.
A. F. SHEPARD, dealer in groceries, hardware, queensware, provisions and seeds, opened trade April 1, 1880, with a stock of $1,200; now carries an average stock of $3,000. His store is 21 x 70 feet and he enjoys a lively trade. He was born in Southeastern Indiana, Oct. 30, 1837, and lived in his native place until he emigrated to Kansas in 1873. Was married in 1861 to Miss Frances O. Hendrick. They have three children, Mary A., Anna, and a son not yet named. Mr. Shepard has served as Alderman three years.
N. P. SIMONDS, grain dealer, was born in Boston, Mass., April 4, 1844, where he resided until Sept. 12, 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, Forty-seventh Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, as a private. Discharged in September, 1863. Enlisted as a private in Company H, Fifth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, July, 1864. Discharged December, 1864, expiration term of service. Then returned to Boston, Mass., where he clerked in a grocery store until 1870, when he moved to Beloit, Kan., where he farmed until the fall of 1871, when he returned to Boston, Mass., where he was engaged as bookkeeper for a mechanical firm until March, 1876, when he returned to Beloit and farmed until 1877, when he engaged in the lumber business until 1878, when Wm. Walker became a partner in the business. The firm continued until 1878, when he sold out and Mr. Simonds engaged in the grain business at Beloit with A. T. Rodgers, and in July, 1881, moved to Minneapolis and established a grain business as the firm Rodgers & Simonds. Was married to Miss Nellie E. Kelley, of Boston, Mass., Feb. 10, 1870. They have three children - Nathaniel J., Edward K., Benjamin S. Captain Company G, First Regiment State Militia; commission dated 15th June, 1882. Member Knights of Pythias.
I. W. SLAUGHTER, manufacturer of and dealer in harness, saddles, and everything in the harness line. He opened trade in the fall of 1878, with a stock of $1,000. He now carries a stock of $5,000 and employs five workmen. His store is 20 x 60 feet deep. He was born in Gallipolis, Southern Ohio, Feb. 25, 1851, and was raised in Darke County, Western Ohio. After serving an apprenticeship of several years he came immediately West to Iowa, and from there to Missouri, where he was engaged in the harness business several years before coming to Kansas. He is a member of I. O. O. F. and K. of P. and is now a member of the City Council of Minneapolis.
J. W. THOM, proprietor Commercial House. Mr. T. erected his hotel in the spring of 1870, and opened the first house in Minneapolis. His hotel is forty feet square, three stories high, twenty-seven sleeping rooms. His hotel cost $7,000, not including furniture. Mr. T. has been engaged in the hotel business since he came to Kansas. He was born in Jefferson County, Ky, 1821, and lived there until 1849, when he emigrated to Jefferson County, Ind., and followed blacksmithing and farming. Was married in 1850 to Miss Nancy Custer, of Jefferson County, Ind. They have five children - Mary A., Forence A. George W., Minnie and Mirtie. Mr. T. is a member of E. A. U., of Minneapolis, and U. O. of A. T. of same city. He has served as Mayor of the city one term. He assisted in laying out Minneapolis and erected the first two-story building in the place.
JOHN W. THOMPSON, Register of Deeds, located in Saline County in Mary, 1872, and lived in that county during the following summer. Settled in Ottawa County in the fall of 1872. He then engaged in agricultural pursuits until he was elected Register of Deeds in the fall of 1881. He was born in Shelby County, Ind., May 30, 1849, and lived there until 1861, when his parents with their family emigrated to Putnam County, Ind.; from there they removed to Brazil, Clay Co., Ind., in 1863. They then moved to York, Clark Co., Ill., in 1866. Returned to Harmony, Clay Co., Ind., in the spring of 1870, where he remained until he came to Kansas. He was married May 30, 1878, to Miss Henrietta Avenarius, a native of Holland, Europe. They have one son, Antoin.
R. F. THOMPSON, attorney at law, came to Minneapolis, Kan., in December, 1872, and opened a law office, where he has since practiced his chosen profession. He was born at Livermore Falls, Me., Aug. 8, 1846, and lived there with his parents until 1858, when the family moved to Port Allegheny, McKean Co., Penn., where he was raised. He was educated at Alfred Centre and Lima, N. Y. Began the study of law at the age of twenty-three, and was admitted to the bar of practice in December, 1872, in St. Clair County, Mo., and began the practice of law at Minneapolis, Kan. He represented Ottawa County in the Kansas Legislature of 1874, and served as County Attorney from January, 1875, to January, 1879. Was Mayor of Minneapolis in 1880. In 1875 he was married to Miss E. L. Wilson, of Hinsdale, N. Y. They have two children, Ethel May and Grace. He is a member of the Masonic Order, Minneapolis, Kan.
A. J. WELSH, of the firm of McConnell, Weckerly & Co., came to Minneapolis in 1872 with his parents, who settled near the above city. He followed agricultural pursuits until he became a partner of the above firm. He was born in Clinton County, Pa., May 27, 1857. Lived there until about 1865 or 1867, when his parents moved with the family to Winchester, Va., and resided two years. They then returned to Pennsylvania, and lived there until they emigrated to Kansas. He was married in 1880 to Miss Belle Bush, of Jamestown, N. Y. They have one daughter - Winnie.
CHARLES S. WYETH, Probate Judge, came to Fort Leavenworth in the spring of 1867, and clerked in the Subsistence Department until May, 1879, when he came to Ottawa County, and farmed until the spring of 1881, at which time he assumed the duties of his office, being elected in the fall of 1880. Re-elected in the fall of 1882. He was born in Wiconsco, Pa., in 1843, March 1. Lived in his native State until 1848, when he moved to West Tennessee and resided until 1858; then returned to Pennsylvania and taught school, and followed the same until twenty years old.. He served in the Eleventh and Forty-eighth Regiments, Pennsylvania Militia. He worked as surveyor on the A. & G. W. R. R. , and the Government survey of Rock River, Ill., from Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River. He was married in 1875 to Miss Frances M. Burnham, of West Jefferson, Ohio. They have three children - Addie B., Frank B. and Reba. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Minneapolis.