KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


OSBORNE COUNTY, Part 3

[TOC] [part 4] [part 2] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

J. M. BABCOCK, Sheriff, was born at Waukesha, Wis., February 23, 1841; lived and worked on a farm in Wisconsin, until the year 1860; when he went to Illinois and taught a school, near Lacon, in winter of 1860-61; enlisted in Company K, Eighteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as Private, at Corbondale (sic), Ill., on the 12th of May, 1861; discharged June 17, 1864, at Springfield, Ill., by reason of expiration of term of service. He was wounded in the left arm at Pittsburg (sic) Landing, April 16, 1862, and wounded in the leg at the siege of Fort Donelson; was married to Miss Phoebe Ellerson, at Waukesha, Wis., September 20, 1864. They have one child - Eva. He was married a second time to Mrs. Fynett House, a sister of his first wife, December 24,1868. They have two children - Ella and Nora. He moved to Osborne County, Kan., in May, 1871, has been engaged in stock raising and farming, making cattle and hogs a speciality; was elected Sheriff of Osborne County, Kan., in the fall of 1881, term of two years.

JOHN L. BARNES, County Superintendent, was born in Montgomery County, Pa., October 14, 1824, and with his parents removed to Bradford County, Pa., in 1829, where he resided until 1835; moved to Northumberland County, Pa., and in 1840 moved to Union County, Pa., and from Union County went to Milesburgh, Pa., in 1847, where he resided for two years, when he removed to Lewisburgh in 1849, and to Williamsburgh, Pa., in 1856; was Principal of school at Williamsburgh for four years, and in 1860 located in Reading, Pa., as Principal of Ward School for four years, and Superintendent of city schools for six years and as merchant for one year, when he came to Osborne County, Kan., where he engaged in farming until January, 1879; elected to office of County Superintendent of Schools, which office he holds to date. He was married to Miss Catharine L. Vorse, May 4, 1847. They have two children - Frank and Irene. He enlisted at Reading, Pa., in Company C, Forty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, as private, June, 1863; discharged as Hospital Steward, September, 1863, at Reading, Pa., for disability.

HALLER H. BATES, farmer, P. O. Osborne, was born at Lewistown, Pa., September 19, 1856, where he followed farming and attending school until 1877, when he graduated at the Lewistown Academy, then in 1877 removed to Decatur, Ill., where he read medicine, and taught school for two years; then in 1880 he came to Osborne County, Kan., where he has followed farming. He has 275 acres, has sixteen horses and twenty-four head of cattle. He was married to Miss Laura Hinds, February 26, 1879. They have one child - Frank.

SAMUEL S. BELL, farmer, P. O. Osborne, was born at Ballston, Saratoga Co., N. Y., July 17, 1838, where he resided until 1857, when he moved to Waseca County, Minn., where he was a farmer until July 15, 1862, when he enlisted as private in Company B, Fifth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and discharged as private in May, 1865, for wounds received in right leg, at the battle of the Wilderness, May 5. After discharge from the army went to Dunn County, Wis., worked in a shingle mill until 1868, when he moved to Wayzata, Minn., where he farmed until 1872, when he went to Russell, Kan., where he engaged as clerk in a hotel until 1874. He then came to Osborne County, Kan., where he resided until 1876, returned to Russell, followed teaming until 1878, then again came to Osborne, where he has been a farmer to date. He was married February 4,1875, to Miss Anna Beckwith.

D. C. BLEAM, agricultural implement dealer, was born March 30, 1842, in Adams County, Ind. In 1845, moved to Waterloo County, Canada, where he engaged at the age of sixteen at carpentering, until 1862, when he returned to Ft. Wayne, Ind., where he enlisted as private in Company D, Fifth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry; discharged as private, June 15, 1865, at the close of the war; then returned to Huron County, Canada, where he engaged in carpentering until 1871, when he again came to the United States, located in Waterville, Kan., engaged in mercantile and grain business until January, 1875, when he came to Osborne County, Kan., where he opened the City Hotel, and also engaged with his brother in the agricultural implement business. He was married November 5, 1867, to Miss Sarah Wiseman. They have six children - Mary A., Lucy A., William, John H., Margaret and Viola. He was Justice of the Peace of Tilden Township, Osborne County, for three years. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and A. O. U. W.

W. B. BOWEN, liveryman, was born March 23, 1830 in Trumbull County, Ohio, where he resided and worked in the iron works for several years. In 1851, he went to Randolph, N. Y. where he learned the carpenter and joiner's trade, and worked at it until 1855, when he was married and moved to Mercer County, Pa., where he farmed till the fall of 1858; he then moved back to Randolph, N. Y., and engaged in the lumber business. In 1865, he moved to Butler County, Iowa, and farmed. In 1871, he moved to Solomon City, Kan., where he farmed two years unsuccessfully. He then went to work on the K. T. R. R. He moved to Bavaria, Kan., January 2, 1875, and July 5, 1875, he moved to Brookville, Kan., In April 1876, he moved to Russell, Kan., being still in the employ of the K. T. Co. In the spring of 1881, he went to Colorado, and engaged in railroading there until November the same year, when he came back to Russell. In the spring of 1882, he came to Osborne City, Kan., and engaged in the livery business. January 2, 1883, he moved his family to Osborne. He was married, July 4, 1855, to Miss Amelia Foskit. They have three children - Ella A., Wm. B. Jr., and Winniefred A. He has held the following public offices: Road Overseer, one year, in New York; Road Supervisor, one year in Iowa; Constable three years, at Russell; City Marshal, two years; School Clerk, one year; Chief of Police, one year; Deputy Sheriff and Warden of the Fire Department, one year, all in Russell. W. B. Bowen is a Mason.

ROBERT R. BRIGGS, farmer. P. O. Osborne, was born in Perry County, Ohio, February 16, 1824, and until the year 1861 his residence was in the above county, where he was engaged in farming, and in September, 1861, enlisted as a Captain in Company A, Ninetieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, at Pickaway, Ohio; resigned on surgeon's certificate of disability in 1861; again enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Fourteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, at Circleville, Ohio, in May, 1862, and was discharged on surgeon's certificate in September, 1862. Also served in the Ohio Volunteer, in what was the "Morgan raid" through Indiana and Ohio, and after his discharge from the army followed farming in Pickaway County, until 1871, when he contracted to build ten miles of pike, which he completed in September 1874, when he started by wagon for Clarinda, Iowa, where he stayed during the winter of 1884-85, and in March, 1875, came to Osborne County, Kan. He was married April 5, 1848, to Miss Nancy White, who died in 1863. Six children were born - Thomas, Sarah, Joseph, Albert, Emma and Catherine. He was married the second time to Catherine Gerting, August 10,1877. They have two children - Manly R. And George W. He was Trustee of Winfield Township, Osborne County, one year; member of the A. F. and A. M. Farmed quite extensively this year. He is the owner of 130 acres of wheat (20 bushels to the acre), and twenty-five acres of corn (twenty bushels to the acre.)

A. B. COATES, furniture dealer, was born December 18, 1836, in Trumbull County, Ohio, where he lived and followed farming until 1851; moved to Grant County, Wis., and engaged in farming until October 5, 1861; enlisted as a private in Company F, Tenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged, July 7, 1863; cause, disability; returned to Grant County, Wis., where he farmed until January, 1865, when he went to Dallas County, Iowa, where he engaged in the furniture business until 1868, when he moved to Northern Iowa, in Cerro Gordo County. Again engaged in the furniture business until the spring of 1872, when he came to Osborne county, Kan., where he followed carpentering until 1877, when he established the present business. He was married November 2, 1860, to Miss Clarinda Chestnut. They have three children - Clarence H., Hannah E., and A. Selma. He was elected Trustee of Penn Township, two years; Justice of the Peace of Penn Township, two years; is a member of the K. of P. and of the G. A. R., Mitchell Post No. 69; also of the A. O. U. W.

WILLIAM F. COCHRAN, county treasurer, was born in Mercer County, Ill,. December 2, 1841; raised on a farm and followed farming until August 14, 1862. He enlisted as private in Company G, One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was discharged as a corporal June 26, 1865, at the close of the war; was taken prisoner near the line between North and South Carolina, on the march to the sea, confined in Libby Prison until the war was over, when he was discharged at Springfield, Ill. After his discharge from the army returned to Mercer County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming until 1871, when he came to Osborne County, homesteaded a farm, where he resided and farmed until the fall of 1881. He was elected Treasurer of Osborne, County; is now living in town. He was married to Miss Mary A. Dunn, April 26, 1866. They have five children - Bertha, Ella, Lavern O., Fred and Nettie. He was President of the Agricultural Society, four years; Township Trustee of Winfield Township, one year; Township Trustee of Lawrence Township, two years, County Treasurer elect. He is a member of the G. A. R., also the I. O. O. F.

W. C. CRADDICK, farmer, P. O. Osborne, was born in Danville, Ind., March 24, 1848; where he resided only one year, when his parents moved to Knoxville, Iowa, where he followed farming until 1878, when he came to Osborne County, Kan., where he has since been engaged as farmer, builder and contractor, having built some of the finest houses in the county of both stone and wood. He was married to Miss Kate Woodruff, June 29, 1876. They have one child - Lizzie.

CHARLES W. CRAMPTON, postmaster, was born in Hartford, Conn., June 10, 1830, and when but two years of age his parents moved to Troy, N. Y., and at twenty-one years of age, he engaged in the hat, cap and fur business until 1870, when he came to Osborne, Kan., and engaged in farming until 1872; then he was elected to the office of County Clerk, which office he was twice re-elected to. Then on retiring from office he served as salesman for the agricultural house of Hays & Wilson until the fall of 1881, and on June 9, 1882, was appointed postmaster of Osborne City. He was married September 11, 1850, to Miss Mary J. Harris. They have three children - S. Palmer, Charles H., and Jessie. Mr. Crampton was elected Register of Deeds, to fill unexpired term of one year of Osborne County. He is a member of the A. F. and A. M., K. of P. and A. O. U. W.

C. M. CUNNINGHAM, farmer, P. O. Osborne City, was born June 9, 1837, in Aurora, Cayuga County, N. Y. Lived with his parents on the farm until 1857, then removed to Seneca County, Ohio, where he engaged in farming until April 19, 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, Seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry as a private, and was discharged as a private September 16, 1862, on surgeon's certificate of disability. He enlisted as a private in Company I, Ninth Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, October 1, 1863; promoted to First Sergeant at the organization of the company; promoted to Second Lieutenant February 10, 1864, and to First Lieutenant February 20, 1865. He was discharged as First Lieutenant August 2, 1865, at Columbus, Ohio, at the close of the war. Was wounded at Aversborough, S. C., in the wrist, and at Aiken, S. C., in the elbow; horse was shot and fell on him at Aversborough, S. C., causing hernia. After his discharge from the army, returned to Seneca County, Ohio, as a farmer until August 31, 1869, when he moved to Jackson County, Kansas, where he lived for one year. Then in January, 1871, he came to Osborne County, where he has since been engaged as a farmer and stock-raiser. He this year (1882) had 100 acres of wheat, twenty bushels to the acre; fifty acres of corn, twenty bushels to the acre; twenty acres of rye, twenty-one bushels to the acre; had 800 sheep, fleeces this year averaged five and one-quarter pounds; thirty-one head of cattle. He was married to Miss Helen Jennie Vernon, March 15, 1866. They have one child - Vernon E. Mr. Cunningham was appointed by the Governor of the State as Special Commissioner for Organization of County, in June, 1871; in November 1871, was elected Sheriff of the County for one year, and in November, 1872 was re-elected for one year. He is a member of the A. F. and A. M., also G. A. R., Mitchell Post, No. 69.

J. D. DUNKELBERG, farmer, P. O. Osborne City, was born in Lockport, N. Y., July 13, 1857, where he resided with his parents on a farm until fall of 1877, when he moved to Black Hawk County, Iowa. Taught school until spring of 1878, when he came to Osborne County, Kan., where he has since engaged in farming and teaching school; also buys and sells stock. He has now twenty-five head of cattle and 100 hogs. He graduated from junior department, Lockport Union School, N. Y., in 1875.

S. B. FARWELL, farmer, P. O. Osborne, was born August 26, 1841, in Denmark, Lewis County, N. Y. In April, 1857, his parents moved to Whiteside County, Ill., where he was engaged in farming until August 10, 1861, when he enlisted as private in Company A, Thirty-third Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Discharged as Sergeant, February 22, 1864, on surgeon's certificate of disability. After discharge from the army he went to Ames, Story County, Iowa, where he engaged in mercantile business until November 15, 1869; then in September, 1870, he came to Osborne County, where he has been engaged since in farming and stock business, paying particular attention to stock. He handles about 100 head each year. He was married to Miss Nancy L. Ware, June 11, 1867. They have six children - Lena B., Gue W., Roy, Mabel, Grace and Clay. He was elected Coroner at organization of County, 1870, for two years; Probate Judge one term; two years Representative of Osborne County, two terms, one year each, 1875 and 76. He is a Mason and belongs to the Knights of Pythias and G. A. R.

J. A. FOUTS, clerk, was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, May 7, 1844, and in 1847 moved to Logansport, Ind., where he was a farmer until August 6, 1861, when he enlisted as private in Company E, Twenty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry at Logansport, Ind., and discharged as Sergeant at Marietta, Ga., December 2, 1865. At the close of the war he returned to Logansport, where he farmed until 1867, when he moved to Fulton County, Ind., and engaged in farming until 1876, when he came to Waterville, Kan., as clerk and book-keeper in dry goods until August, 1878, when he came to Osborne County, Kan., and followed clerking and book-keeping until employed as clerk for the firm of J. R. Borland, where he is now engaged. He was married to Miss Mary E. Ferguson in April, 1869. He was wounded in left leg at Chickamauga, Ga., September 19, 1863. Is a member of I. O. O. F., A. O. U. W. and G. A. R.

R. G. HAYS, lawyer, was born in Carmichael's, Greene County, Pa., January 6, 1847. He moved with his parents to Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1849, and to Mendota, Ill., in 1853; then he went to St. Gable's Mission, California, where he attended school until 1860; thence to Gregory mines, Cal., as miner, until 1862, and as a prospector until 1869, when he returned to Knoxville, Iowa, where he read law and was admitted to the bar at Knoxville, Iowa, in 1871. Practiced law for one year at Bedford, Iowa, then came to Osborne County, Kan., where he has been to date engaged in the practice of law. Was married to Miss Clare E. Bear, June 30, 1875. Has been County Attorney, Osborne, County, for four years. Is a member of Knights of Pythias and Masonic fraternity.

JOHN JOY, farmer, P. O. Osborne City, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio October 19, 1811. Lived there until he was twenty years of age, when he bought a farm and lived on it until 183?, when he established mercantile and tobacco business in Mountsville, which business he followed until 1865, when he went to Savannah, Mo., where he engaged in raising stock, cattle and hogs until 1869, when he came to Jackson County, Kan. Here he farmed until 1871, when he came to Osborne County. There were only two houses in the town at the time. He then built the third house, and engaged in mercantile business until May 1, 1872. When on his way East to buy goods and effect the sale of Osborne County Bonds (first issue), he met with an accident by the overturning of a stage, from which he has never recovered. He is unable to do any work, but oversees his farm. He was married to Miss Mary Ellis, November 13, 1834. They have seven children - Harrison W., Elmyria J., Ransom, Joseph, Evelyne, Leonadas, Adele. He enlisted in Gov. Brough's One Hundred-day Squirrel Hunters, repelling the attack of Braxton Bragg, at Cincinnati, Ohio.

B. F. KELLEY, thresher and farmer, P. O. Osborne, was born March 27, 1835, in Pike County, Ohio, where he resided with his parents until 1844, then moved to Green County, Wis., and in 1857 to Westport, Johnson County, Kan.; engaged as a laborer until 1858, when he removed to Marshall County, Kan., where he gave his attention to farming until September 1, 1862, when he enlisted at Atchison, Kan., as Corporal in Company G, Thirteenth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry. Discharged July 21, 1865, at the expiration of term of service, when he again returned to farming in Marshall County, Kan., and in 1871 came to Osborne County, Kan. Farmed until 1878, when he followed threshing until the present. He is now running a steam thresher. Married Miss Ruth P. Foster, June 24, 1860. They have two children - Alice and Guy. Was elected to office of Justice of Peace, Corinth Township, Kan., for one year.

JAMES H. LIPTON was born November 10, 1827, in Milesburg, Pa., where he was engaged in merchandising, lumbering and hotel-keeping. He came West with his family and located in Abilene, Dickinson County, Kan., in 1875. Purchased a hotel, managed the same until 1878, when he came to Osborne City, Osborne County, Kan., where he established the Lipton House, one of the largest hotels west of the Missouri River, and in its managements second to none in the West. He was married to Miss Lucy M. Davidson, February 12, 1853. They have five children - William F., aged twenty-eight; James M., twenty-six; George M., nineteen; Lida seventeen; and Mollie, thirteen. Lida and Mollie have the reputation of being among the finest singers in the North-west. He was Prothonotary and Clerk of the Courts of Center County, Pa., for two terms (six years).

M. MOHLER, ex-County Treasurer, was born in Cumberland County, Pa., March 20, 1830, where he resided for ten years, then moved with his parents to Lewiston, Pa., where at the age of seventeen he commenced teaching school, at which occupation he continued until the age of twenty-three, when he attended Mt. Morris Rock River Seminary for two years, then attended the North-Western University, Evanston, Ill., until he graduated in 1861, at which time he returned to Lewiston, Pa., where he had charge of Lewiston High School for two years. In 1865 he was appointed County Superintendent of Schools of Mifflin County, Pa., by State Superintendent; then in the spring of 1865, was elected County Superintendent for two years, and in 1867 was re-elected for same time. During his last term of office, he became owner and principal of Kishacoquillas Seminary until 1871, when, in consequence of failing health, he sold out and struck for Kansas and visited in Lawrence until June, 1871, when in company of friends he visited Solomon Valley, and hearing of the Colony from Pennsylvania, having located in Osborne County, where Osborne City now stands, he concluded to visit them. He pre-empted part of Section 8, Town 7, Range 11, and afterward homesteaded part of Section 17, Town 7, Range 11, in 1872, where he resided as farmer until elected to the office of County Treasurer in 1878, when he moved to Osborne City; was re-elected to same office in 1880. Was married to Miss L. C. Hoover, May 15, 1862. They have four children - Maggie L., Laura M., Jacob C. and Frank M. Is also a member of the Masonic Order, and member of the State Board of Agriculture, to which he was elected in January, 1877.

B. M. MUTERSBAUGH, livery, was born April 1, 1864, at Mifflintown, Pa. In 1871, his parents moved to Port Royal, Pa., then in 1879 came to Osborne County, Kans. He is now engaged in the livery business, established 1880. Has a large and commodious stable, well stocked, fine carriages, and conducted in a manner that would do credit to places of like business in large cities.

THOMAS ROCHFORD, farmer, P. O. Osborne City, was born at Quebec, Canada East, May 20, 1833. At the age of seventeen entered as an apprentice at millwright and wagon making, which trade he followed until 1856, when he moved to Austin, Minn., and engaged in farming until 1859, when he removed to Cedar Falls, Iowa. Here he established a wagon and general repair shop, which he carried on until 1863, when he went to Nebraska City, Neb., where he built the City Hotel and did a contracting business until 1871, when he came to Osborne, Kan., where he has been engaged in farming and stock-raising. Has now forty-two head of fine cattle ready for market; farms quite extensively; had seventy-five acres of wheat this year, with an average of twenty-one bushels to the acre. He was married to Miss Mary Conly, July 24, 1851. They have seven children - Kate, Thomas, Edward J., John H. Mary F., Rosa E. and Daniel. He has also a grand-child he is raising, Leon Emmett Smith. Mr. Rochford was road overseer of Winfield Township three years.

ABE SMITH, Register of Deeds, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, August 28, 1831; raised and worked on a farm until 1851, when he moved to Warren County, Iowa, and engaged as blacksmith until 1855; removed to Dallas County, Iowa, where he remained working at this trade until 1873, when he came to Osborne County, Kan., where he engaged in blacksmithing and farming until 1876. Married to Miss Martha Webster, November 11, 1852. They have seven children - Albert, James K., Joseph N., David M., Cora E., Frank E. and Blanche E.

OSCAR F. SMITH, Probate Judge of Osborne County, Kan., was born March 23, 1845, at Waukesha, Wis. Then in 1847 he went with his parents to Hartford, Washington Co., Wis., where he followed farming until November 7, 1861, when he enlisted in Company E, Tenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry; was discharged Nov 3, 1864, as private at Milwaukee, Wis., by reason of expiration of term of service; then went to Boone County, Ill., where he engaged in farming until 1870, when he migrated to Jefferson County, Kan., where he again followed farming until 1872, when he again migrated to Osborne County, Kan., and followed the plow until 1880, when he was elected to the office of Probate Judge of Osborne County and was re-elected in 1882 for a term of two years. He was married January 7, 1869, to Betsey J. Kimble. They have two children - Oscar F. and Flora May. He held the office of Township Trustee and Assessor of Liberty Township for two terms; was wounded at the battle of Chickamauga, Ga., September 20, 1863, in the right hand and shoulder, for which he draws a pension of $18 per month. He is a member of the A. O. U. W.; I. O. O. F., and G. A. R., P. M. Mitchell Post No. 69, Department of Kansas; is also a member of the K. B. S. or Kansas Benevolent Society.

FRANK STAFFORD, County Clerk, Osborne County, Kan., was born April 24, 1845, in Guilford County, N. C.; moved to Indiana in 1852, and in 1863 went to Leavenworth, Kan., where he followed teaming until November 2, 1863, when he enlisted in Company B, Sixteenth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry; discharged in December, 1865, when the war was over. Then in the spring of 1866, he returned to Indiana, where he followed farming until 1867; again came to Kansas, and October 4, 1867, enlisted in Battery B, Fourth United States Artillery. Discharged October 4, 1870, at expiration of term of service; then came to Osborne County, Kan., and engaged in farming until the fall of 1881, when he was elected to the office of County Clerk of Osborne County. He was married to Miss Nettie Hart, November 25, 1878. He is a member of the G. A. R. Mitchell Post, No. 69. Elected County Commissioner, of Osborne County for unexpired term.

DAVID TINDAL, farmer, P. O. Osborne, was born September 23, 1823, in Edzell Village, Scotland; engaged in the manufacture of boots and shoes until 1853, when he emigrated to the United States, and landed in New York; thence to Lancaster County, Pa., where he engaged in boot and shoe-making until August 10, 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Twenty-second Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, as a private. Discharged as a private in May, 1863, on expiration of term of service. After his discharge from the army he continued in the shoe business in Lancaster, Pa., until 1871, when he joined the Pennsylvania colony, composed of men from Burke and Lancaster counties, and came to Osborne County, Kan., where he has lived on his farm to the present day. He was married to Miss Elizabeth Wood, December 14, 1849, in Scotland. They have four children - William, David, Charles and James. Mr. Tindal harvested thirty-five acres of wheat this year, averaging twenty-five bushels to the acre, besides other crops of corn, rye, potatoes, etc. He is a member of the K. of P., Good Fellows and Red Men.

JOHN W. VAN SCYOC, general merchant, of the firm of Cooper and Van Scyoc, was born in Washington County, Pa., May 28, 1854, and in the fall of 1865, went with his parents to Des Moines County, Iowa, where he lived with his parents until the year of 1871, when he came to Osborne City, Kan., and purchased a farm one-half mile north of the city; resided thereon until 1873. In the fall of that year he started on the Range, hunting buffalo, and spent five months on the wild prairies. After returning to Osborne in 1882, he entered into co-partnership with George W. Cooper, as general merchant - dry goods, boots, shoes, hats, caps and groceries. Was married September 17, 1878, to Miss S. R. Schweitzer. They have three children - Lilly, May and Elsie. He has been a member of the I. O. O. F. for the past two years; has been a member of the A. O. U. W. since its organization.

GEORGE W. WILLIAMS was born July 1860, at Newtown, Monmouthshire, England; emigrated with his parents to the United States in 1865, and to Osborne, Kan., in 1875. Went into the music, insurance and sewing machine business in 1881, and on August 7, 1882, he took a partner into the business by name Carr; firm name Williams & Carr. Firm doing a large amount of business until November 21, 1882, when Carr embezzled all of the funds of the firm in the absence of Mr. Williams, left the country, and has never been heard from. George W. Williams, after settling up all business of the firm, accepted a situation from J. K. Martin, manager of the branch office of the American Sewing Machine Company, St. Louis, Mo., as traveling salesman, and is now in the employ of said company.

CHARLES R. WOOLLEY, banker, was born in Davenport, Iowa, November 27, 1851; moved with his parents to Pike County, Ill., where he resided until 1856, when he removed to Lincoln, Logan County, Ill., where he engaged in farming until the spring of 1865, when he went to Centralia, Ill., and in the spring of 1870 went to Dutchess County, N. Y., to attend school; attended the new Poltz Academy from 1870 until the fall of 1871, when he moved to Lincoln, Lancaster Co, Neb. Studied law and admitted to practice March 4, 1876, and then in 1876 went to Denver, Col., where he remained until 1877, then returned to Lincoln, Neb.; resided there for two years, where he practiced law; then located in Beloit, Kan., engaged as lawyer and loan broker until July, 1881, when he came to Osborne, Kan., and established the banking house of Charles B. Woolley. Was married to Miss M. E. Brown, January 11, 1882. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M.; also Knights of Pythias.

FRED YOXALL, book and news dealer, was born October 9, 1847, at Crewe, England, and at an early age commenced house and sign painting, continuing until 1866; emigrated to the United States and located in Philadelphia, Pa., where he again engaged in house and sign painting for about twelve months, and then removed to Oshkosh, Wis., where he followed the trade of painting until 1871. Finding his health failing, he left his trade and came to Osborne, Kan., where he engaged in the lumber business until 1874, when he was appointed Postmaster of Osborne City, which office he held until 1880, and then established his present business. He was married April 20, 1873, to Miss Libbie Everett. They have two children - Lilly and May. He is a member of Knights of Pythias, and also of the A. O. U. W.

[TOC] [part 4] [part 2] [Cutler's History]