|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This village is located about five miles north of Parkersville on the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railroad. In 1869 a colony was organized in Chicago under one Rev. Mr. Pierce, with the object of making themselves homes in some of the Western States. While in course of formation a correspondence was opened up between Mr. Pierce and Mr. Somers, of Council Grove, the latter gentleman at that time being agent for a large amount of railway lands. When the colony was about ready to start westward, Mr. Somers proceeded to Chicago to see to the completion of its organization, and to accompany it to Morris County. It numbered about forty families. The place first selected for its location was only about three miles from Parkerville, but afterwards it moved about two miles further to the north to land owned by T. S. and W. J. Mackenzie, who took an active part in organizing the colony. In 1871 the Mackenzies had the town site surveyed, and shortly thereafter building commenced. The first house built in the village was by Thomas Eldridge in 1872, and the first store erected was by James Thornley and W. N. Dunbar in 1872. In 1873 a good school was built, the first teacher in which was Adam Dixon. There are now in the village three general stores, one drug store, one grocery store, one millinery shop, two wagon shops and two elevators. Three or four years ago the Methodists put up a frame church building, and the Congregationalists have now in course of erection an edifice of like material. It depends for support upon the agricultural country surrounding it, and is quite a shipping point for grain. Its population is about 200.
Skiddy is the name of another village still farther north, which is located on the boundary line between Morris and Davis counties, and on the line of the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railway. The place is also known as, and sometimes designated, Camden. It was started in 1870 by a mixed colony from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, which was organized by one W. E. Tomlinson. It has only one store, general in character, which was built in 1870 by J. R. College. The Baptists, who are quite numerous in Skiddy and the surrounding country are now, 1882, finishing a frame church building for the purpose of worship. The inhabitants of the village number about 120.
The Baptists have quite a strong organization at Skiddy, in the northern portion of the county, and also one at White City, of which the membership is thirty-five. At White City they have no church building, but at Skiddy they are in the act of finishing a very neat frame church building. The organization at Skiddy was formed in 1872, and the first pastor was Rev. Mr. Phillips. The present officiating pastor for the society of Skiddy and also the one at White City is Rev. Mr. Howard. A society known as the Union Baptists exists in Highland Township, and two or three years ago erected a very fine church building.
WILLIAM R. BIGHAM, manager of lumber and coal business at White City, Kas., (for the Badger State lumber t sic Hannibal, Mo.), was born at Hamilton, Ohio, April 12, 1842. Lived there until 1859, when he moved to El Paso, Ill.; farmed until September, 1861. Enlisted in Company G. of the Fourth Illinois Cavalry, served three years as Quartermaster Sergeant. Returned home and commenced the manufacture of carriages with an experienced partner. After two years bought out his partner, continued the manufacture of carriages and connected with it a livery stable. Was married in 1868 to Miss Elizabeth H. Bingham, of Mount Morris, N.Y. They have one daughter--Louise. In 1873 his shop with stock, livery building and thirteen horses, were consumed by fire. He was then employed by the land department of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad for one year, after which he settled at his present place of residence. Started a lumber yard, owned it for two years, sold it; turned his attention to farming and stock raising until September, 1872, at which time he engaged to conduct the lumber business for the above named company, still carrying on the farm and stock interests as before. Is a member of the Commandery at El Paso, Ill., his former residence.
R. M. FARMER, dealer in farm implements, pumps, windmills, buggies and wagons, White City, started business in the spring of 1883. He came to Junction City, Kas., in 1870, and remained a year. Came into Morris County in 1871 and followed agricultural pursuits until he opened business. He has 320 acres of land, 160 of which is cultivated. He was born in England, February y18, 1850. Came to America in April, 1870, coming direct to the West. Married, in 1872, to Miss Eliza Wallis, also a native of England. They have four children--Mary, Annie, George W. and Amy. He has served as Township Trustee, Justice of the Peace, and is Republican in politics.
V. C. HANCHETT, proprietor of the Revere House, White City; capacity of the hotel is sixteen guests. He also carries on a livery business. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1871 and engaged in farming, in Morris County, until he opened the above hotel. He was born in Fulton County, Ill., where he lived until he moved to Kansas. He enlisted in the spring of 1862 in Company G. One Hundred and Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Was promoted to Sergeant. Participated in all the battles of his command and was mustered out in the fall of 1864. He was married in 1860 to Miss S. A. Crandall, a native of Ohio. They have three children--Mary L., John D. and Flora R. He has served in several township offices.
FRANK R. QUINBY, dealer in grain, live stock and coal, White City. He has a grain elevator 20x32 feet, twenty-six high, which has a capacity of storing 9,000 bushels of wheat. Since July, 1882, up to April 4, 1883, he has bought and shipped 525 car loads of grain and fifteen cars of live stock from White City. He first came to Clay County, Kas., in 1857, with his parents and lived on a farm until he embarked in trade. He was born in Lowell, Mass., in 1852. His parents moved to Kansas in 1857. He came to White City in May, 1878. He was married in 1880 to Miss Minnie Schilling, a native of West Virginia. They have one son--Frank J. Is building a warehouse 24x40 for corn and oats.
WILLIAM SCHILLING, dealer in general merchandise, White City, opened trade in White City in the fall of 1877, with a stock of about $2,500, now carries an average stock of $10,000, and employs four clerks in the business. He was appointed Postmaster and took charge of the office in 1879. Was born in London, England, November 7, 1836. Came to America in February, 1849, settling in Greenbrier County, W. Va. where he clerked in a store some time, and finally engaged in the oil business where he made a start financially. He was married in August, 1857, to Miss Elizabeth J. Deitz, of West Virginia. they have nine children--Louisa C., Minnie E., Charles R., James, Sidney A., William H., Hattie M., Ida and Frederick. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of White City. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, A., F. & A.M., of Parkersville, same county, Kansas.
This is the name of a small village in the southeastern portion of the county and located on the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas Railway. It has a population of between 100 and 150, and carries on quite a business. The place has two or three stores and a grist and saw mill. The place is named after Joseph Dunlap, the founder of the town and the first white settler in Valley Township. Colored people form a large per cent of the population.
MRS. N. AMSBAUGH, merchant, has been doing business in Dunlap the past four years, since August, 1879, dealing in dry goods, groceries and general merchandise. Makes butter and eggs a specialty, a large quantity of each bought and sorted and shipped to all portions of Southern and Western markets. The brand under which all butter is shipped, Neosho Valley Creamery, being well and favorably known. The entire business amounting to about $?0,000 per annum.
W. H. AMSBAUGH, the business manager of the concern or firm of N. Amsbaugh, was born in Johnstown, Cambria Co., Pa., February 9, 1843. When about nine years old went with his parents to Moline, Ill., where he remained several years. He afterwards lived in Davenport and Maquoketa, Iowa, and did an extensive business in grain and live stock at those places; removed to Dunlap in 1879. Was married at Maquoketa, Iowa, in 1873, to Mrs. Nancy Oake.
BULEN & KIDD, merchants, have been doing business here as a firm since the fall of 1882, dealing in general merchandise, consisting of dry goods, groceries, etc., carry a stock of $2,000 doing a business of $7,000 per year. E. D. Bulen was born in Sennett, Cayuga Co., N.Y., December 16, 1844, moving to Ashtabula County, Ohio, with his parents when he was nine years old. He early espoused the principles of the Republican party and has since continued a firm adherent and supporter of that party. In 1864 he enlisted in Company C, Sixtieth Ohio Infantry, serving until the close of the war. Was taken prisoner on the Weldon railroad in Virginia and held until the following February, when he was paroled. During the remainder of his term of service was Acting Orderly. About 1868 he moved to Michigan remaining two years, and then moved to Kansas, engaging in farming in Osage County until 1872, when he moved to Dunlap where he opened a small store, which he has since carried on, increasing the stock as the demand required. In the fall of 1882 he associated with himself in the business Mr. C. E. Kidd. Mr. Bulen was appointed Postmaster during Grant's second term, and still holds that position. He is a member of the Masonic order and the Knights of Honor and of the G.A.R. He was married in Osage County, Kan., in 1871, to Miss Frank Killim. They have four children living--Jessie L., Guy D., Clyde F. and Avis M.
H. M. COBURN was born in Utica, N.Y., July, 1853, living there until ten years of age, when he went with his parents to Jones County, Iowa, remaining until 1870. He then moved to Kansas, locating at Americus, engaging in farming until 1880, when he began clerking in the store of E. D. Bulen, where he still remains. He has a farm of eighty acres, one and one-quarter mile northwest of Dunlap, sixty acres in cultivation, twenty acres in native timber. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
JOSEPH DUNLAP, farmer, section 14, P.O. Dunlap, was born in Adams County, Ohio, September 1, 1828, living there until about twenty-five years old. In December, 1850, he married Miss Julia A. Nicholas, daughter of Capt. Enos Nicholas, a native of Virginia. They have one child living--John G., now a resident of Dunlap. In 1853 he moved to Illinois, and afterwards to Missouri, and thence to St. Paul, Minn., where he resided until 1858, when he removed to Kansas, settling at the old Indian Mission, on Big John Creek, in Morris County, holding the position of Indian Trader for six years, first under Col. Dickey, and afterwards under Mr. Farnsworth, who was succeeded by Major S. S. Storer. Mr. Dunlap located the buildings at the Mission. After giving up his position as Trader at the Mission he moved to his present residence, engaging in farming and raising live stock, which he has since followed. He has a fine farm one-half mile from Dunlap, consisting of 160 acres, of which 100 acres are under cultivation. The rest is timber and pasture. He also deals in live stock, chiefly in horses, keeping about twenty head on hand, besides thirty to forty head of cattle. Mr. Dunlap is the original proprietor of the town site of Dunlap, which he laid out. He has held the office of Sheriff of Morris County, and ten years he was Deputy U.S. Marshal; also held the position of Lieutenant, in Kansas State Militia, under Gov. Kearney. Mrs. Dunlap taught the first school in Morris County, at the old Indian Mission.
C. E. KIDD was born in Frederick County, Va., April 6, 1843, remaining until the fall of 1857, when he went with his parents to Indiana. When about sixteen years old he began clerking in a store, continuing until 1864 in Indiana, and then went to Ohio, where he obtained employment in the same business four years. He then came to Kansas, locating in Pottawatomie County, on a farm, remaining until the spring of 1874, when he moved to the vicinity of Dunlap. He then engaged in farming until the fall of 1878, when he engaged in the hotel business at Dunlap, two years. During the next year he again engaged in farming until the fall of 1882, when he entered into partnership with E. B. sic Bulen. He was married in Pottawatomie County, Kan., in 1870, to Miss Mary E. Edwards. They have three children--Lida B., Charity Alice and Luther C. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Dunlap.
FAY PARSONS, farmer and grain dealer, Section 24, P.O. Dunlap, was born in Bennington County, Vt., August 13, 1828. When sixteen years old he went to Milwaukee, Wis., where, until 1851, he was employed in grain business. He then moved to Dubuque, engaging in grain and lumber trade. In 1873 he moved to Kansas, engaging in buying wheat along the Cottonwood River, west from Emporia, for St. Louis mills, being the first grain dealer operating west of Emporia. In May, 1876, he located on his farm near Dunlap, where he has since resided. His farm, consisting of 160 acres, lies one-half mile south of Dunlap; is well improved, almost wholly under cultivation, and one of the most profitable farms in Morris County. During past four years it has yielded a rental of over $1,000 per year. Mr. Parsons was married in Sedgwick County, Kan., in 1873, to Miss Rose Altha Chase. They have four children living--Cyrus, Stephen B., Frederick, Maude S. He has been a member of the Republican party since its organization. He has been three times elected Commissioner of Morris County.
JOHN C. PICKETT, farmer and stock raiser, Section 3, Township 17, Range 8, P.O. Council Grove, came to this place in 1876. He first settled near Emporia, Kan., in October, 1858, on a farm, where he followed agricultural pursuits and his trade of carpenter and builder, until he came to his present home. He has 120 acres of fine agricultural lands, forty-five of which is cultivated. He was born in Chatham County, N.C., October 20, 1829, lived in native State until 1852, when he came to Hamilton County, Ind., and worked at his trade until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1853, to Miss Alice Hadley, a native of Hamilton County, Ind. They have one son and a daughter--Elihu F., born January 27, 1857, and Mary E., born April 4, 1859, now married to Mr. Thomas Crippin, a farmer living near by. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. P. is now serving his second term as Justice of the Peace.
J. B. SHOWERS, M.D., came to Dunlap in the spring of 1880, and commenced the practice of his profession and has built up a large practice. He commenced the study of medicine while a boy of fifteen years of age and made that his whole desire; first starting with Dr. Harris, of Bellefonte, Pa., from there to Illinois with Dr. McKiney, of Mendota, Ill., from there to Wisconsin, with Dr. Jinkins, of Portage City, then back to Illinois. Graduated in the spring of 1880, practiced a while in Decatur, then moving to Kansas and locating at Dunlap. Being a poor boy part of this time he was obliged to work on a farm to make a living. He also controls a large stock of drugs at Dunlap. He was married April 21, 1880, to Miss Lida Chapman, of Decatur, Ill., and moved to Kansas soon after. He is a member of the A.O.U.W., of Dunlap.
LEONARD STILL, merchant, has been doing business in Dunlap since August, 1874, when he started the first store at that point. His store building being the third building erected in the town. He has been very successful in his business. Beginning with a small stock he has continually enlarged it, until he now carries a stock of $3,000 to $4,000 consisting of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes and queensware, doing a business of $7,000 to $8,000 per year. He was born in Plymouth, England, June 14, 1845, and was reared at Bristol. Was there married in 1868, to Miss Eleanor Thomas. They have one child living--Leonard William. He came to America in 1870, locating first at Chicago, and afterwards at Champaign, Ill., and other points in Illinois, and in Michigan, being employed as hotel steward. He is a member of Council Grove Lodge, No. 36, A., F. & A.M., and of the Knights of Honor Lodge at Dunlap.