KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ULMER - ZIEGLER).SAMUEL H. ULMER, furniture dealer, was born in Medina, Medina Co., Ohio, July 4, 1839. That was his home till 1854. Then in Iowa until he came to Kansas, May 2, 1856; he located at Leavenworth, being in the employ of J. L. Abernathy, furniture manufacturer, about eight months. He had learned the cabinetmaker's trade when a youth of less than a dozen years. He removed from Leavenworth to Lawrence, remaining in the latter place about six months, then settled at Mount Vernon, at that time the county-seat of Franklin County. Resided there eleven or twelve years, working at his trade, farming and dealing in stock. He came to Independence, April 11, 1870, having lived at Osage Mission for two years prior to coming here. He established the first furniture store here. From the spring of 1872 till the autumn of 1873, he was absent. With that exception, he has been a constant resident of this place. He has served two terms as Alderman, two terms a member of the Board of Education, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and of the A., F. & A. M., Blue Lodge, Chapter, and Commandery. He was married near Mount Vernon, Franklin Co., Kan., March 22, 1863, to Octavia Reed, a native of Upper Sandusky, Ohio. They have two children, Carrie and Ivy L.
L. A. WALKER, farmer, was born in Steubenville, Ohio, May 6, 1815. His parents were from western Pennsylvania, from which State was furnished a large portion of the early settlers of that part of Ohio. From about the thirteenth till after the twentieth year of his age, he was under the apprentice system, engaged in painting and the manufacture of furniture. In 1835 went South; and between Pittsburgh, Pa., and New Orleans for some three years was engaged as a sign writer. Settling down to business, in company with two brothers, he engaged in the manufacture of furniture at Steubenville, until in the early spring of 1856, when he moved to Nebraska. Not waiting until the lands were surveyed, he procured a claim of 220 acres, four miles south of Omaha. That, he entered upon, improved, and remained upon until his removal to Kansas. Joining with others in the importance of organization for promoting the interests of agriculture, the Douglas County Society, of Nebraska, was originated, and the first fair held in 1859. Mr. Walker was chosen president, holding his connection with the society as such with brief intervals, until 1870. He was treasurer of the Nebraska State Agricultural Society from the date of its organization till his removal from the State. After making a tour of observation in south Kansas, and the disposal of his property in Nebraska, he made his settlement in Montgomery County in 1872. In 1874, was elected president of the Montgomery County Agricultural Society. The same year was elected a Representative in the Kansas Legislature, serving in the session of 1874-'75. Was correspondent from this county to the State Board of Agriculture, while the late Alfred Gray was its secretary, and is at present secretary of the Montgomery County Horticultural Society. Was married in 1840, to Miss Permelia E. Ives, born in Oneida County, N. Y., and has raised a family of six children. Has an abiding faith in the State's capabilities in general, and particularly so of southern Kansas.
T. J. WALKER, proprietor of bakery and confectionery and ice cream parlors, was born in Knoxville, Knox Co., Ill., January 19, 1847. When he was a child his parents removed with their family to Blandinsville, McDonough Co., Ill., afterwards to Henry, Marshall Co., Ill., and later to Davenport, Iowa, where he resided until January 12, 1881, when he came to Independence, Kansas. He has the finest ice cream and confectionery establishment in Montgomery County. He enlisted, September, 1864, in Company C, Second Iowa Cavalry; serving till July, 1865, when he was mustered out. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. and of McPherson Post, No. 4, G. A. R. Mr. Walker was married at Davenport, Iowa, March 5, 1868, to Maria Ready, a native of Rock Island, Ill., but raised at Davenport. They have three children - Nellie May, Estella and Weller Weston.
ISAAC B. WALLACE, boots and shoes, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, August 16, 1853. Was educated in the academy at Smithfield, Ohio. In 1875 came to Kansas, locating in Independence, and began business as a merchant, the firm being Stich Bros. & Wallace, dealers in dry goods and general merchandise. His health failing, he sold out in March, 1882, bought a ranch and herd of cattle in the Indian Territory, and has since been rustling cattle, and now owns over 1,300 head. His brother, D. F. Wallace is a partner in the business. March 1, 1883, he, in partnership with a younger brother, Oliver, bought out the boot and shoe store in Independence. They have a large store and a fine stock of goods of all descriptions in the line and manufacture. Mr. W. is a member of the K. of H. He was married March 19, 1879, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, to Miss Alice Shriver. They have one child, Kitty, born July 29, 1881.
HON. H. M. WATERS, Receiver of Public Moneys, United States Land Office, was born at Trenton Falls, Oneida Co., N. Y., January 17, 1841. His father, Rev. Van Rensselaer Waters, was a Baptist minister, and later in life an active business man, holding for some time, the office of Sheriff of Lewis County, N. Y., and other official positions. His mother's maiden name was Belinda R. Burr, and both father and mother were of New England parentage. Henry M. was educated in the common schools of New York, and lived in New York State until he was nineteen years old, when he emigrated to Lorain County, Ohio, and worked on a farm there until August 25, 1861, when he enlisted in Company H, Second Ohio Cavalry. In this regiment he served until December 31, 1863, when he re-enlisted and mustered in as a veteran in the same regiment. Was finally mustered out September 11, 1865. During his service in the army he participated in the following engagements: Lone Jack, Newton, Monticello, Steubenville, Morgan raid through Indiana and Ohio, Blue Springs, Tenn. (when he had his arm broken by a musket ball), Siege of Knoxville, Summit Point, Charleston, Kearneytown, Limestone Ridge, Opequan Creek, Winchester, Cedar Creek, Mt. Jackson, Mt. Zion Church, Lacey's Springs, Waynesboro, Dinwiddie Court house, Five Forks, Beverly Bridge, Harper's Ferry, Appomattox Station and Appomattox Court House, Va. He was present at Lee's surrender. During the war he served in fourteen States and one Territory. After leaving the army he spent a term at the Commercial School at Oberlin, Ohio, and emigrated to Lawrence, Kan., May 2, 1866. Most of the time during the first six months in Kansas, he was at Baldwin City, but on December 24, 1866, he located at Humboldt, Allen County, working in a saw mill there six months. He was then one year with W. W. Curdy, and ten months with Moses Neal, in mercantile business. He then entered the United States Land Office, under the administration of D. B. Emmert, receiver, remaining with him until he went out of office two and one-half years later. He continued with M. W. Reynolds and E. S. Nichols, the successors of Reynolds, until December, 1874, when he was appointed Receiver of Public Moneys of the Osage Land District (the office in the meantime having been removed to Independence, Kan.), which position he still holds. He is one of the most prominent members in the A., F. & A. M., in Kansas. Initiated, passed and raised in Pacific Lodge No. 29, Humboldt, Kan., March 29, 1868. Received Royal Arch degrees in Valley Chapter, No. 11, Humboldt, Kan., March 10, 1869. Received the Council degrees in Kilwinning Council, Fredonia, Kan., June 17, 1882. Received the orders of Knighthood in De Molay Commandery, No. 4 Lawrence, Kan., June 15, 1877. Elected sublime prince of the Royal Secret of the Thirty-second degree of the ancient and accepted Scottish Rites, February 22, 1883. Past high priest of Keystone Chapter, No. 22. Organized St. Bernard Commandery, No. 10. Independence, Kan., and was elected first eminent commandery, grand high priest of Grand Royal Arch Chapter of the State of Kansas, 1883. Grand commander of the grand commandery of the State of Kansas, 1883. Theologically, he is in accord with the Methodist Episcopal Church and contributes liberally towards the support of religious enterprises. He was married at Humboldt, Kan., October 27, 1869, to Miss Frances M. Stephens, daughter of Harney Stephens. She was born at Berea, Ohio. They have two children - Kate H. and Anna Waters.
JOHN STEWART WAY, County Clerk, was born in Winchester, Randolph Co., Ind., October 31, 1832. In July, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Thirty-sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, serving one year in that regiment as Second Lieutenant, and then two years in Company C, Sixty-ninth Indiana Volunteers. He was First Lieutenant in the latter. He was in all the engagements of his command during his service with them, receiving slight wounds in the shoulder at Richmond, Ky., August 30, 1863. He was mustered out in March, 1864. He is a member of the G. A. R. and A. O. U. W. He was married at Winchester, Ind., in November, 1853, to Lorena B. Girton, a native of Boston, Wayne Co., Ind. They have three children living - Ernest A., Elmer Ellsworth and Ulysses Grant. They have lost two daughters and a son - Annie, three years old, Lulu B., died at the age of twenty-two years, and Clyde, who was six years old at the time of his death. Mr. Way came to Kansas in July, 1873, locating on a farm in Scott Township, Linn County, where he resided until February, 1876, at that time coming to Independence where he was engaged in house and sign painting until June, 1880, when he entered the County Clerk's office as Deputy. September 1, 1882, he was appointed County Clerk. He served four years as Alderman of this city.
R. T. WHARTON, M. D., farmer, P. O. Ives, was born in Woodford County, Ky., August 10, 1832. In 1836 his parents moved to Shelby County, Ind. He was educated in the common schools, studied medicine, taking a course at Rush Medical College, Chicago. Practiced in Marion County, Ind., and took a second course at Rush, graduating in the class of 1868. Located at Acton, Ind., in practice during the war, and enlisted five times, but was rejected on account of physical disability. He was finally accepted, October, 1863, but after two months was discharged. He removed from Marion to Morgan County, Ind., in 1871, and to Breckenridge, Caldwell Co., Mo., in 1875, where he engaged in the drug trade and in practice. In 1878 he removed to Fort Scott, Kan., and in 1879 came to Montgomery County, where he located on a farm, fourteen miles southwest of Independence, in Rutland Township. He is engaged in farming and in professional practice. In July, 1882, he had a new postoffice established in his house, called Ives, and of which he is Postmaster. He is a member of the Masonic Order. Was married February 17, 1856, in Shelby County, Ind., to Miss Martha Jane Rosengarten. They have eight children - Frank E., William G., Emma R., Bertha B., Reat R., Leon T., Jessie A. and Thomas S.
RUFUS WILLIAMS, dealer in agricultural implements, etc., was born in Cazenovia, Madison Co., N. Y., November 26, 1835; made that his home until the spring of 1857, when he went to Fort Atkinson, Jefferson Co., Wis., and lived there until the fall of 1858, when he moved to Vandalia, Ill., and in the spring of 1859, went to California. In the fall of 1860, emigrated to Portland, Ore., and in the spring of 1862, to Florence, Idaho, where he remained till the fall of 1863; thence to Virginia City, Nev.; returned to New York in December, 1865. In March, 1866, he went to Missouri, and remained until he traveled in Texas, where he remained about nine months, prior to coming to Kansas; settled in Fort Scott, Kan., in 1873, where he engaged in the sale of farm machinery until December, 1875, when he removed to Kansas City, Mo., and resided until August, 1876; then moved to Wichita, Kan., and in October, 1877, returned to Kansas City, Mo., and remained until January, 1879, when he settled at Independence, Kan., where he deals in agricultural implements, wagons, carriages, sewing machines, organs, school furniture, etc. He does a large business in Montgomery and several adjoining counties in Kansas, and 150 miles south in the Indian Territory; was married at Lathrop, Mo., January 3, 1870, to Louise D'Ette Peck, formerly of Camden, Oneida Co., N. Y. They have two children - Williston R., and Katie L. V. Mr. W. is a member of the Massachusetts Mutual Life and Kansas Benevolent Insurance companies.
H. P. WILTSE, hardware, is a native of Cleveland, Ohio, born August 18, 1846. His parents moved with their family to Strawberry Point, Iowa, in 1848, and lived there about ten years; then returned to Cleveland, where he lived until he came to Kansas. He came to Independence in October, 1869, first locating in Sycamore Township one year, then went to Independence. Engaged in the hardware trade in the fall of 1869, with H. E. Gill, and continued four years with him; afterward with W. T. Gairns, two and one-half years, then at Elk Falls one and one-half years in the same business alone. He then returned to Independence, where he was with R. E. Bennett three years. Then was a member of the firm of Bennett & Wiltse, at Cherryvale, three years. Since March 13, 1883, has been with W. E. Clark. He was married at Independence, July 19, 1877, to Carrie M. Funk, a native of Apple River, Jo Daviess County, Ill. They have two children - Harold and Raymond. Mr. W. is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of F. At Cherryvale he was a member of the Common Council from April, 1881, to April, 1882.
E. E. WILSON was born at Elizabeth, Allegheny Co., Penn., November 21, 1838. He was reared on a farm, and received such early education as the district schools afforded. He left his farm life on the breaking out of the war, and enlisted as a soldier at McKeesport, Pa., April 22, 1861. In consequence of a maimed hand, he was at that time rejected. On September 25, 1861, he was enrolled in Company C, Second West Virginia Volunteer Cavalry. In that capacity he entered the war as a soldier. He rose from the ranks to the rank of Captain, through the intermediate grades of Sergeant, November 1, 1862; Orderly Sergeant, October 16, 1863; Second Lieutenant, April 9, 1864; First Lieutenant, November 26, 1864; Captain, January 7, 1865. He was mustered out at Wheeling, West Va., as Captain of Company C, June 30, 1865. On leaving the service, he returned to his old home in Pennsylvania, where he remained until March, 1867, at which time he immigrated to Kansas, and settled in the vicinity of Fontana, where he resided until September 1, 1869, when he removed to Independence, Montgomery County, bringing with him the first stock of goods ever brought to that place. The expense of moving by wagon from Fontana to Independence, a distance of 125 miles, was then $2.25 per 100 pounds. He built a store, 16x24 feet in size, and one story high, at a cost of $500 - the same might now be worth $75 - and commenced business on the 1st of October. He was associated in business for the first two years after coming to Independence, with F. D. Irwin, who was the first Postmaster of the city. Mr. Wilson was subsequently interested in business at Elk City for one or two years. Since his residence in the county, he has been constantly identified with the best interests of the city and county, and has been honored with many offices of trust. He was a member of the Board of Trustees who incorporated the town, July 23, 1870. He was Mayor of the city of Independence in 1871, and has served as a member of the School Board. He was appointed Deputy County Treasurer in 1874, and performed the duties of that office until October, 1882. He was elected to the office of Treasurer, and assumed the office in October, 1882, and is the present incumbent. He is a member of the G. A. R., and commander of McPherson Post, No. 4. He has been president of the soldiers' re-unions, held in Independence in 1881 and 1882. Mr. Wilson was married, Feburary 22, 1870, to Miss Rebecca Braden, of Washington, Pa., who died on the 21st of April following, at Grand View, Edgar Co., Ill., while on their way to Kansas. He was again married, in Independence, January 30, 1872, to Miss Morna Moore, a native of Knox County, Ill., near Galesburg. They have six children - Zell, Albert Erskine, Floyd M. and Sallie B. (twins), Jennie M. and George.
FRANK A. WOODFORD, grocer, is native of Morgan County, Ohio, born December 19, 1841. He lived there till 1855, then in Davis County, Iowa, till December, 1863, when he enlisted in Company E, Third Iowa Cavalry. He participated in all the battles of his regiment and detachments thereof with which he served. In August, 1865, he was mustered out. Returning to Iowa, he remained there until the spring of 1868, when he came to Montana Township, Labette Co., Kan., residing there till the spring of 1870, when he located in Caney Township, Montgomery County, his residence being there till he removed to Independence, in 1878. After coming to this city, he worked at the trade of stonemason for about three years. Since that time, he has been engaged in mercantile business. He is a member of the G. A. R. Mr. Woodford was married at Bloomfield, Iowa, September 17, 1862, to Mary J. Reed, a native of Ohio. They have four children - George Wilbur, Oscar Francis, Luella and Walter Hayes.
W. T. YOE was born at Port Republic, Md., March 26, 1845. At the age of thirteen, he began learning the printers' trade. In 1862 he enlisted in the army, in the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Illinois Infantry. After serving his country as a soldier, he removed to Shelbyville, Mo., and engaged in the hardware business, and in about a year following this, went to Shelbina, Mo., and purchased an interest in the Shelby County Herald, printed at that place, and assisted in its publication. In 1871, he came to Independence, bringing the material, press, etc., of the Herald with him, and started the South Kansas Tribune, in company with L. U. Humphrey, in which company, with C. Yoe, he is now interested.
CHARLES YOE, was born at Rushville, Ill., September 22, 1849. Until eighteen years of age he followed farming and printing, and in 1867, removed to Shelbina, Mo., and began working on the Shelby County Herald, of which his brother was part owner. When the material of that paper was brought to Independence, and the Tribune started, he was engaged upon that paper, and in 1874, became interested as proprietor with his brother, W. T. Yoe, having purchased the interest held by George Burchard.
H. W. YOUNG, editor and proprietor of the Independence Star, was born at Northville, Long Island, N. Y., December 17, 1874. The earlier part of his life was spent in farming and teaching mainly. For some two years, he devoted himself to the investigation of the flora of Suffolk County, N. Y., of which he, in connection with E. B. Miller, published a catalogue, in January, 1874. In 1870, he visited Texas, with a view of settlement, but, finding not whereon to rest his foot satisfactorily, returned to his home in New York. In about two years following he made an extended trip to South America and the West Indies. During which he was detained at Rio Janeiro, Brazil, with an attack of yellow fever and upon recovery, returned from this voyage. In August, 1874, he removed to Illinois, and commenced the printers' trade at Oquawka, and taught school during the winter following, and in June.
JOSEPH B. ZEIGLER, attorney, was born near Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Penn., May 19, 1843; graduated from Dickinson College, at Carlisle, in 1864, read law at Carlisle, and was admitted to the bar in April, 1867, began practice at St. Paul, Minn., the same spring, remaining there until June, 1868, when he located at Leavenworth, Kan., and continued in practice there from August, 1868, to the spring of 1870, when he removed to Oswego, Labette County, and remained one year. March 1, 1871 he came to Independence, and has been a prominent member of the bar of this Judicial District since locating here. He enlisted September 20, 1864, in Company A, One Hundred and First Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteer Infantry; was mustered out June 25, 1865. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M. Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery. Mr. Z. was married in this city June 4, 1874, to Ella M. Bavin, a native of Norwich, Chenango Co., N. Y. They have two children - Ella M. and Walter P.
WILLIAM EDWARD ZEIGLER, attorney and insurance agent, was born near Carlisle, Cumberland Co., Penn., June 29, 1858. He was educated in the public schools of his native county, and at the Normal School at Carlisle. He taught school three terms prior to removal to Independence, Kan., in May, 1879. He also read law one year at Carlisle, one year with John Hays, and continued his law studies after he came West, with his brother, John B. Zeigler, and was admitted to the bar March 12, 1880, since which time he has pursued the practice of his profession, and also does a general fire and life insurance business, representing some of the best companies which do business in this country, such as the Etna of Hartford, Continental, of New York; German American, of New York; Glens Falls, N.Y.; Orange, of Hartford; Providence Washington, of Rhode Island; Westchester, of New York; Phoenix, of London; Northern, of London; Merchants of St. Joe, Mo., and the Massachusettes Mutual Life. Mr. Z. is a member of K. of P. He served eight months as City Clerk, and then resigned on account of interference with the duties of his other business.