KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Part 19

[TOC] [part 18] [Cutler's History]

CANEY TOWNSHIP.

A. D. BERRY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 26, Township 34, Range 13, P. O. Havana was born in La Grange County, Ind., in 1847, and was educated in the county of Livingston, Ill., where he resided with his parents until he came to Kansas in 1879. He was married April 8, 1874, to Miss Mary Hail, of Linn County, Kas., who was born in Madison County, Ill., in 1857. They have had four children, three of whom are living - Annie and Martha; May died in 1878, and Marietta. Mr. Berry came to Kansas in the spring of 1874, and in the following fall his father, Samuel Berry, came and purchased of George Ripley 280 acres of land on Bee Creek. This home consists of fertile bottom lands, with a large amount of timber and good running water. Mr. Berry has another tract of 160 acres, situated six miles northeast of Havana. On this he has good buildings and other improvements. Samuel Berry, his father, was born in Marion County, Ohio, and died in Montgomery County, Kas., in 1882. A. D. Berry's mother died May 26, 1857.

DR. ALBERT G. BROWN, physician and druggist, Caney, was born in Carroll County, Ind., in 1838, and educated in Delphi Seminary. He studeied medicine and practiced his profession in Newton County, Ind., and from thence went to Detroit, Mich., where he followed his profession several years. He afterwards went to Martin County, Minn. In 1873, he was in Texas, where he canvassed the county of Tarrant, of which Fort Worth is the county seat, on a proposition made by Tom Scott to raise bounds for machine shops to be placed at Fort Worth. He then went to Benton County, Arkansas, then came to Kansas and settled on the Pawnee River, eighteen miles west of Fort Larned, and practiced his profession in Pawnee County, where he laid out the town of Brown's Grove. He then went to Cherokee, Crawford Co., and in November, 1882, came to Montgomery County, coming to his present location. He has just started a drug store. He was married to Sarah J. Bortnow, who died in June, 1879. Was married to Mrs. Nellie G. Shorthill of Southwest City, Mo., who has a daughter, Nellie G. Shorthill, a young lady of fine musical talent. Dr. Brown is a physician of long and varied experience, and has a good practice.

R. W. DUNLAP, retired merchant and farmer, Section 12, Township 35, Range 13, P.O. Caney, was born May 22nd, 1837, at Ithaca, New York, where he was partly educated. At an early age, he went with his parents to Allegany County, N. Y., and remained there until he came West in 1856. He married in 1857, Miss Sarah E. Westbrook, of Canadea, Allegany Co., N. Y., by whom he has three children - Prinia Maud, Fred., Eugene. Mrs. Dunlap died in February, 1875. He was again married in September, 1875, to Bettie E. Westbrook, a sister of his former wife. Mr. Dunlap is one of the oldest settlers of the State, coming into Kansas in 1856, when the State was just starting in its career of prosperity. He has seen many changes in the ups and downs of a pioneer's life. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He came to the place where Topeka now stands in 1856, where he remained until 1859, when he went to the Arkansas River, near where Wichita now is. Here he established a ranche[sic], and lived until 1866, when he returned to New York, but came back to the West in the following spring. He engaged in the mercantile business in the Indian country, beginning in 1870 and continuing until 1876, when he went back to his farm on Drum Creek, Montgomery County. Soon afterward he made another trip to his native State, remaining eighteen months. Upon his return to Kansas, he again engaged in the mercantile business in Montgomery County, following it until 1882, when he retired from business.

F. H. FAATZ, general merchant, Caney, Montgomery Co., Kan., was born near Weedsport, Cayuga Co., N. Y., in 1841. He was educated at the Auburn Academy, N. Y., and the Friends' Academy, Union Springs, N. Y. In 1867, he was married to Miss Amelia Halladay, who was born near Weedsport, N. Y., in 1846. She was educated at the Weedsport Academy. Mr. Faatz came to Kansas on May 3, 1880, stopping at Independence for a few days, and then taking a trip to Texas, where he remained for a few weeks, and then returned to Kansas in the autumn, when he sent for Mrs. Faatz, and they settled at Caney, where they now are enjoying life and doing a good business. He was in the mercantile business at Meridan, N. Y., for five years, and at Montezuma, N. Y., for three years. His parents are living near Weedsport, where he was born. His farther was born in Philadelphia, Pa., and his mother in Germany. Mr. Faatz is an enterprising business man, and is taking a great interest in the welfare and growth of the community in which he now lives, having taken the proper steps by which the town has been surveyed and platted. There is now a movement to build a grist mill on one of the blocks donated by Mr. Faatz. He experienced religion in the year 1862, and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he has been a zealous worker, and most of the time an official member, taking great interest in the Sunday school work as well as every other interest of the church.

LEVI GLATFELDER, farmer and stockman, Section 8, Township 35, Range 14 east, P.O. Caney, was born in York County, Pa., in 1824. At the age of sixteen, he came to Knox County, Ill, with his parents, where he completed his education and followed as his occupation, farming; was married in 1850, to Miss Annie Cacklen, of Knox County, Ill., born in Knox County, Ohio, in 1830. They have eight children living - Mary (married to James Jack, living in the Creek Nation), Charles (married to Maggie Warmer and living in the Cherokee Nation), Adelia (married to Frank Roe and living with her parents), George (married to Lucy May Dial, living in Caney Township), Clement, Clayton, Senora and Casper. Mr. G. came to Kansas in the spring of 1870 and located on 320 acres of land, on which he has placed many improvements. His farm is within one-half a mile of the Indian Territory, and he raises stock to a considerable extent. He was a delegate to the State Convention to nominate delegates to the National Democratic Convention, held at St. Louis, and also to the State Democratic Convention, in 1882, that nominated George W. Glick for Governor.

M. H. HORNER, Section 34, Township 34, Range 13, P.O. Havana, was born in Allegany County, N. Y., in 1844, where he received an academic education. He was married, in 1879, to Miss Alverta A. Campbell, of Tuscola, Douglas Co., Ill., a native of Carroll County, Va., born in 1855, educated in the free schools. They have two children - Sheridan C. and Roscoe C. Mr. Horner enlisted in Company G, First New York Dragoons, in August, 1864, and served until the close of the war. He was engaged in teaching in Illinois, but has principally followed farming. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1872, and settled in Montgomery County on a farm of 240 acres. His farm is finely located Bee Creek Valley, two miles southwest of Havana. His land is fertile and a large part under cultivation. He is also more or less engaged in stock raising. His parents are living in Allegany County, N. Y. Mrs. Horner's parents are living in Scoot County, Ark.

MRS. B. A. KELLER, farmer, Section 3, Township 35, Range 14, P. O. Fawn Creek, was born near New Albany, Ind., 1826, and educated in the district school, and married in 1850, to William Keller, of New Albany, born 1823, and engaged for many years in the pottery business, until he came to Kansas to benefit his health, but soon after his arrival he became worse and died September 17, 1876, leaving the widow and six children by his second wife and three by a former wife, deceased. Mrs. Keller's children are - Charles S. married to Miss Annice Mehaffy, of Fawn Creek, Montgomery County,; J. W., married to Amanda Gray, and living on his mother's farm; Annie, educated and teaching school; Samuel F., working his mother's farm; Wilbur F., and William M. All Mrs. Keller's children were born in New Albany and received their education in the schools of the same city. Mrs. K's farm consists of 176 acres, which has been well improved, excellent house, orchards, etc. She came to the State in April, 1876. Her mother-in-law, now eighty-three years old, and blind for twenty-two years, is living with her daughter. Mrs. K. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

R. B. KNOCK, farmer and dealer in agricultural implements and general merchandise, Section 13, Township 34, Range 13 east, P. O. Havana, was born in Fulton County, Ill., educated in the public schools and followed farming. He was married June 14, 1867, to Miss Evelyn Hussey, a native of Indiana, born in 1850. They have eight children - Marion, John, Josephine, Minnie, Virginia, Olive, Franklin and Erwin. Mr. Knock enlisted in Company G, Fiftieth Illinois Regiment in 1861, and served three years. He came to Kansas in 1870, and settled in Caney Township, Montgomery County, on a farm of 200 acres of good land, on which he has made many improvements. He has a good grade in implements and general merchandise in Havana, which is constantly increasing. His parents are living in Fulton County, Ill. Mrs. Knock's parents are living in Arkansas.

GEORGE W. RIPLEY, farmer, Section 1, Township 35, Range 13, P. O. Caney, was born in Champaign County, Ohio, in 1834, August 8. When he was nine years of age he went with his father to Sangamon County, Ill., and from there to Logan County in 1844, soon after his father's death occurred in 1843. He was educated at the subscription schools of those days. Was married in 1854, October 12, to Miss Martha J. Downing, of Logan County, Ill., who was born in 1836. They have had thirteen children - David James, died November 8, 1855; George W., died May 14, 1857; Lewis, married to Cordelia Carinder and living in Cherokee County, Kansas; Florence E., married to Thomas Nollsch, and living in Montgomery County, Kansas; Elmer Ellsworth, Mary E., married to Edward Cochrane, and living in Caney; Ruth, died September 27, 187?; Martha Eva, died August 14, 1872, Almira and Alvira, twins, Emma A., Bertha and John M. Mr. Ripley enlisted in Company B, Thirty-second Illinois Infantry, August 5, 1861, and was wounded in the battle of Shiloh, in the right arm, for which he now receives a pension. He was commissioned Second Lieutenant and afterwards First Lieutenant. He was mustered out, after the fall of Atlanta, in 1864. He came to Kansas in the summer of 1869 and settled on Bee Creek, on the line between Chautauqua and Montgomery counties, and there remained until August, 1874, when he returned to Illinois. After a little more than a year he again came to Montgomery County, Kansas, where he now lives. He has 234 acres of land, a large part of which is under good cultivation, sixty acres of timber and a fine stream of water running through it. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Riple is Treasurer of the town of Caney. He is a member of the McPherson Post, G. A. R., and is also an Ancient Odd Fellow. Mrs. Ripley's father, James Downing, lives with them. He was born in 1805.

REV. JOSEPH I. ROBINSON, farmer and preacher, Section 34, Township 34, Range 13, east, P. O. Havana, was born in Susquehanna County, Pa., in 1826. At the age of eleven years, he removed with his parents to Brown County, Ohio, where he lived nineteen years, and was there educated. In 1856 he went to Sangamon County, Ill., where he was in the ministry for three years, and then entered the regular ministry of the United Brethren Church, and preached at the following named places - New Michigan, Fairbury, Livingston and Lexington, McLean County, where he built up the church, and at Paxton, Ford County. He was married, July 4, to Ruth A. Marklay, of Hamilton County, Ohio, who was born in February, 1828. The have five children - Cecil Calvert, Charles Henry, John Prior, William Oscar and Nettie Ann. Cecil married Jeanette Stoner, and is living at Matanzas, Kan. John married Mollie E. Feigh, and is a stock dealer in Chautauqua County. Mr. Robinson was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors in Illinois. He was elected to the Illinois Legislature for two years, and took his seat in January, 1875. He resigned his place in the Legislature in May, and came to Kansas in the fall of 1875. He and his sons are located in Montgomery and Chautauqua counties, and altogether have between 700 and 800 acres of land, and are largely engaged in stock raising. Mr. R. has been presiding elder five years since coming to Kansas, and is now located and doing home work.

E. SINCLAIR, farmer, Section 10, Township 34, Range 14, P. O. Bee, was born in Hunterdon County, N. J., in 1825, and received his early education in the district schools. Was married in 1849 to Hester M. Smith, of Warren County, N. J., by whom he had four children - Enoch C., Arabel, Andrew L. and Mary. Mrs. Sinclair died in 1855. He was married the second time, to Mary Tharp, in 1860, by whom he has six children - Erastus, Alfrata, Cecelia, William T., Stanton and Annie. His second wife died December 25, 1877. Mr. Sinclair has traveled in twenty-six States of the Union, including all the Western States and Territories. Enoch, the oldest son, died by the explosion of a Turkish bath in 1880, leaving a widow and one child. Mr. Sinclair's children are all living in Kansas, and four of them are married. Mr. Sinclair came first to Kansas in 1858, but returned soon afterward, and came back in the spring of 1869, and after living in Lyon County for a short time, purchased eighty acres of land, on which he has a good home and other improvements.

S. P. STRAHAN, stock dealer, farmer and Postmaster, Section 14, Township 34, Range 14, east, was born in Randolph County, Ind., in 1841, where he was educated. Was married in 1865 to Miss Mollie Hendricks, of Randolph County, Ind., a daughter of W. C. Hendricks. She was born February 26, 1848, and educated in her native town. They have three children - Hendricks Pinkny, Loren Wilday and LuLu Pearl. Mr. Strahan enlisted in Company E, Eighth Indiana Regiment, in April, 1861. He was the first man wounded from Randolph County. He served his term of three months, and re-enlisted in the Fifty-fourth Indiana, Company G, as First Lieutenant, for two years. He served until the close of the war, with a commission as Second Lieutenant. He was twice wounded - once at Vicksburg, Miss., on the 29th of December, 1862, so severely that after the war he could not follow his former employment of printing. He came to Kansas in the fall of 1879, and settled in Caney Township, and purchased 400 acres of land on which he has erected a good home and made other improvements. He now raises and deals in stock. His father died some years ago. His mother still lives in Indiana. Mrs. Strahan's parents, William Crouse Hendricks and wife, are living in the same house with their son-in-law and daughter. Mr. Hendricks was born, October 5, 1822, in North Carolina. His father died when he was only five years old. He came with his mother to Randolph County, Ind., where he lived fifty years, farming and selling goods. He was married, December 8, 1843, to Mary Zimmerman. They have but one child living - Mrs. Strahan.

J. W. TATE, merchant and farmer, Section 15, Township 35, Range 12, east, P. O. Caney, was born in Washington County. Ill., Aug. 8, in 1838. He was educated in the district schools of Illinois. Was married in 1859, to Miss Elizabeth Newman, of Washington County, Ill., where she was educated and lived until her marriage. They have five children - Henry Elliott, John Fletcher, Martha Hannah, William Howard, and Joseph Edgar. They came to Kansas in September 1870, and settled on a farm ten miles west of Caney, in what was Howard County, now known as Chautauqua County. At that time his farm was wild prairie, but now it amply repays the money, time, and care spent on it. He has good buildings, thrifty orchards and many other improvements. He purchased the store of R. W. Dunlap and engaged in the business of general merchandise. He now deals quite largely with the surrounding country and the Indian Nation. His father, William Tate, is living in Illinois. His brother, William Asbury Tate, enlisted in the One Hundred and Eleventh Regiment, and was killed at Pittsburg Landing. Mr. Tate has a good musical education, and has been a very successful conductor of musical concerts, and teacher of vocal music. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a consistent and enterprising business man. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

SYLVESTER W. WOOD, hotel keeper and farmer, Section 12, Township 53, Range 13. P. O. Caney, was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., in 1824, where he was educated in the public schools. Was married to Elizabeth Hobart, January 15, 1854, who was born in 1836. They have four children - Jessie, Henrietta, Carrie Erdell, and Otho H. Jessie married Franklin Herring and is now living in Indian Territory. At the age of twenty-one Mr. W. came to LaSalle County, Ill., and there followed his trade of carpenter and joiner, until 1849. He enlisted in 1864 in Company E, One Hundred and Fifty-third Illinois Regiment, and served during the remainder of the war. He came to Kansas in 1872, and settled on a farm of 160 acres in the Little Caney Valley, on which he has made many improvements, building, orchards, etc. He at the same time began the hotel business, which he has followed during the eleven years that he has resided in Kansas. The house is pleasantly located and well kept, the accommodations are excellent, and travellers will find a courteous landlord, and a comfortable home. Mr. Wood's ancestors came from Connecticut. Mrs. Wood's father was from New York, and her mother from Wales. Mrs. Wood was the first white child born in Fulton and Lucas counties, Ohio.

FAWN CREEK TOWNSHIP.

COL. CALEB MAY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Coffeyville, was born in Madison County, Ky., January 19, 1815. At fifteen years of age he located in Decatur County, Ind., and lived there until 1839. He then went to Arkansas, but soon after located in Missouri, and lived in that State until 1854, when he came to Kansas and settled in Atchison County, where he remained until 1869. In the winter of 1855 he manifested himself prominently in favor of the Anti-slavery movement, and represented his District at the Topeka Convention. The following year he was elected to the colonelcy of a regiment from his District, and served in that capacity until a peaceful state of affairs was arranged. The year following the Topeka Convention he represented his District in the State Legislative Assembly. He afterwards represented his District in the Leavenworth Convention, and subsequently in the Wyandotte Convention of 1859. Col. May, after an active public career and the attainment of his ambition as a citizen of the free soil of Kansas, settled down to farming, and in 1869 came here. He married, January 4, 1838, Miss Margaret Parnell, of Indiana. They have the following children - William J., Mary E., Dillon, Enoch E., Priscilla Jane Garham, Martha W. Williams, all in Oregon; Isaac N., of Woodson County, Kan.; Margaret R. Sprugeon, of Coffeyville, and Thomas S., at home. He has been a member of the Christian Church for over thirty years, and of the Masonic Order for thirty-five years.

JAMES WILSON, owner of Valley Home Farm, P. O. Coffeyville, was born in Scotland, in 1810, and learned the trade of carpenter there. In 1833 he came to America, and after spending a few years in the New England States he located in New York City in 1830 and carried on his trade there until 1849. He then went to California, and was in that State for a few years engaged at mining. He then located in Wisconsin until 1861, when he again spent eight years in California at his trade. In 1869 returned to Wisconsin, and in 1873 he went to Iowa and came here in 1875. He married in 1837, in Canada, Miss Olive R. Aldrich, of that country. They have two sons, James jr., mining operator, California, and William C., who married Miss Lou Fechter, and has one daughter, Valley Home Farm contains 320 acres of valuable land; s located three miles west of Coffeyville. It is well improved, has nice dwelling and outbuildings, and an orchard of nicely assorted fruits.

[TOC] [part 18] [Cutler's History]