|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (CAMPBELL - HUSTON).
HUGH S. CAMPBELL, dealer in real estate business, established in 1867. Mr. Campbell is a native of Scotland. In 1849, when twenty years of age, he emigrated to America, and made his home at Buffalo, N. Y. From there he moved to Erie, PA. He enlisted in August, 1861, as a private; was soon after commissioned Captain. He was wounded at the battle of Malvern Hill; and promoted to Colonel of the Eighty-third Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, At the second battle of Bull Run, August 30, 1862, he was wounded again, but continued in the service til May, 1863, when he was discharged for disability from wounds received in battle. He was appointed Provost Marshal of the Nineteenth District of Pennsylvania and served til the close of the war. In 1867 he came to Paola, Kas., and engaged in real estate business. He invested largely in village lots and is now owner of an extensive property.
C. W. CARR, dealer in farming implements, is a pioneer of Kansas. He is a son of John Carr, one of the earliest settlers near Osawatomie, Kan., of 1854. C. W. was born at Perry, Wyoming Co., N. Y. in 1837, and immigrated to Kansas with his parents in 1854. The family located near what is now Osawatomie one year prior to John Brown's advent. He recollects seeing the Browns move on their land. Although a lad at the time, he participated in the turbulent scenes of the times and was one of the small party that came down on the body of Fred Brown the morning he was shot. They were prevented from bringing off the body by the appearance of a large force of mounted and armed Missourians, under Capt. Reed. George Farris was dispatched to Osawatomie to carry the news to Brown. His father, who was confined to his bed by sickness, was persuaded to dress and secrete himself in the brush, which precaution undoubtedly saved his life as the house was soon after visited by a gang of Reed's men, who were violent and who would no doubt have taken his life if they had found him. As it was, they came near discovering him in the place of his concealment while hunting down Mr. Garrison, whom they overtook and shot to death within a few yards of Mr. Carr. After his father's death, Mr. Carr returned to the East and remained until 1860. He entered the Quartermaster's department at the close of the war. Was chief Abstract Clerk of the post Quartermaster Department at Nashville, Tenn. After the close of the war, he entered into partnership with Maj. Williams at Osawatomie, in the hardware business, which connection was continued until 1869, when he came to Paola and commenced his present business. He is one of the oldest established houses in this line in the State.
CAPT. THOMAS M. CARROLL, attorney at law was born in Green County, Pa. He enlisted in the late war in 1861, while in his seventeenth year, as a private in Company B, First Regiment Virginia Cavalry. He was wounded at the battle of Port Republic in 1862, and again at Gettysburg in 1863. He was promoted from the ranks to a First Lieutenancy and placed in command of his company. Just before the battle of Gettsyburg he was promoted to Captain, and after serving nearly three years, received an honorable discharge on account of wounds received in battle. On returning from the war, he became a student of Waynesburg College, Pa., from which he graduated in 1868. He came to Paola, Kan., in 1869, studied law with Judge W. R. Wagstaff and was admitted to practice in 1873. He was married, in 1876 to Miss Mary Childress, of Paola.
JONATHAN F. CHANDLER, real estate, loan and collecting agent, was born in Stewartstown, Coos Co. N. H., April 27, 1833. Moved with his parents to Knox County, Ohio, when he was four years of age; removed to Missouri in 1844, and to Miami County Kan., in 1856. He was engaged in farming for twelve years. He then moved to Paola and accepted the position of deputy-register of Deeds and served two years. He then started his present business. In addition to real estate, loan and collecting business he also makes abstracts of title. Mr Chandler has built up the most extensive business in his line in the county and is reckoned one of the most reliable and substantial business men of Paola.
G. A. COLTON, was born in Woodstock, Windsor Co., VT, October 20, 1828; was brought up on a farm with very limited means of education. Naturally studious, and ambitious to acquire knowledge, he virtually educated himself. In 1854 he emigrated to Kansas, and located at Stanton, Lykins Co., (now Miami). He was employed in various pursuits til the spring of 1860, when he purchased the Southern Kansas Herald, then published at Osawatomie, and removed it to Paola, and conducted it nearly eight years as a Republican paper. In the summer of 1857 he was chosen as a delegate to the Grasshopper Falls Free-state Convention, and took decided grounds in favor of a vigorous campaign. In November, 1858, he was elected Assistant Secretary of the Territorial Council, at its extra session, and reelected at its regular session of 1858. In the spring of 1858, he was elected and served as a delegate to the Territorial Constitution Convention. At a meeting of the Council in 1859, he was again chosen Assistant Secretary. He was a member of the Republican State Convention to nominate the first State candidates under the present constitution, and in the fall of the same year was elected a member of the Territorial House, and elected Speaker. He was also elected a member of the in-coming State Legislature. In the spring of 1860 he moved to Paola, and was elected Probate Judge of Lykins County (now Miami) which office he resigned in April, 1861, to attend the State Legislature. In the spring of 1861, he was appointed agent of the Confederated band of Peoria, Plankeshaw, Kaskaskla, Wea, and Miami Indians, located in the eastern border of Kansas, which position he held for eight years, except for a period of a few months, when he reigned to accept a position in the State Senate. He assisted in 1862 in organizing the Miami County Militia; was elected Colonel, and served in that capacity during the war, under the United States military authorities. He was with Gen. Lane in pursuit of Quantrill, and helped drive Price out of Missouri, at the time of his raid. He was elected to the State Senate in 1864. He has always been a Republican since the organization of that party, and has been known as an influential and consistent member.
CONDON, CARREL & CO., firm composed of S. D. Condon, H. T. Carrell, and H. R. Jordan, successors to Massey & Carrel, who were successors to J. M. George & Co. This is one of the oldest established hardware houses in Miami County. The senior partner, Mr. S. D. Condon, was for many years a member of the firm of J. M. George & Co. They carry a full assortment of goods in their line, hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., having a large and well stocked store. They command a liberal share of the trade of this region, are enterprising and liberal dealers and deservedly popular with the general public.
MAJOR CARLOS C. COX, farmer, Section 11, Township 17, Range 23, P. O. Paola, was born in Northumberland County, Va., August 16, 1840; moved to Alton, Ill., with his parents in 1849. He received an academic education, and engaged in the mercantile business. Soon after the breaking out of the late war he enlisted, May 25, 1861, in Company D., Fourteenth Illinois Infantry. He was regularly promoted to Orderly Sergent, Second, and First Lieutenant, Captain, and Major of the same regiment and served until the close of the war. He was attached to the seventeenth army corps and served under Sherman. He received a gunshot wound at the battle of Hatchie River, October 5, 1863. He was wounded again at Nashville and at the battle of Kingston, N. C. by a shell, and subsequently near Greensboro. He was captured and severely injured by Wheeler's Confederate Cavalry. He was rejoining his regiment, accompanied only by his orderly, when he was pursued by a party of Confederate Cavalry. After shooting one each of the foremost, they left the main highway and followed by a path through the woods; after making a lengthy detour, they once more entered the highway, only to find themselves directly in the path of another and larger body of Texas Cavalry. Major Cox's horse became unmanageable and carried him into the midst of his foes, where he was soon knocked senseless from his horse and trampled under foot. The enemy supposing him dead stripped his person of all valuables and his clothing. But discovering signs of life were about to settle his case by what they termed parole, which the cocked revolvers presented to his head would seem to mean simply murder, but by the timely intervention of a few more humane than the others, his life was spared. Some cast-off clothes were put on him and he was taken prisoner. Three weeks later he was released. After the war he returned to Illinois, married Miss Lydia M Massey, at Jacksonville, and moved to his farm of 160 acres, on Section 11, Township 17, Range 23, where he has continued to reside to this date in the peaceful enjoyment of a farm life. The wife of his youth and soldier bride died April 25, 1880.
WILLIAM C. EATON, carpenter and builder, and Justice of the Peace, was born in Montgomery County, Va., in 1831; removed to Indiana, with his parents, in 1833; learned the carpenter and joiner's trade in Porter County. He enlisted in the late war, in August, 1862, as a private of Company I, Seventy-third regiment, Indiana Volunteers, was promoted to First Lieutenant in September, 1862, and to Captain of the same company in 1863. He served in the department of the Cumberland, and was mustered out at Nashville, Tenn., July 4, 1865. He came to Paola the following spring (1866) and worked at his trade of carpenter and builder until 1874; he then went to California where he spent two years, and returned to Paola. Mr. Eaton has served as Deputy Sheriff, of Miami County, four years. He was appointed Justice of the Peace, served one year and was elected to the same office in the spring of 1881.
EDMINSTON & SHERMAN, proprietors of livery, sale and boarding stable. This firm was organized in October, 1879. The senior partner, Mr. M. B. Edminston is the pioneer livery man of Paola, having established himself in this business at this place in 1868, and with the exception of one and a half years he has been in business continuously since. He was born in Ohio, and moved to Illinois in 1855. He enlisted in February, 1862, as a private of Company H, Thirty-ninth regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served two years. In 1865 he moved to Kansas, and in 1868 engaged in the livery business at Paola. This firm keep a fine stock of horses, averaging about twenty, and a good outfit of rigs. They also keep one or more good stock horses, by and sell, and a general livery business.
J. A. ELDRED, deceased, was born in Maine in 1829, and went to sea in his youth. Made a cruise to California via Cape Horn, during the gold excitement, and spent seven years in that State. Then he returned to New England and was married at Falmouth, Mass., in 1859 to Miss Sophronia, daughter of B. G. Nye. Mr. and Mrs. Eldred emigrated to Kansas immediately after their marriage and settled in Miami County. Mr. E. was engaged in the manufacture of lumber for five years, then devoted his attention to farming and stock growing. He was a man of upright character, enterprising and energetic in business, and commanded the respect and esteem of all who knew him. He died on Christmas day, 1881, leaving a wife and five children, two sons and three daughters, to mourn his loss. The family reside on the old homestead of 140 acres, situated on Section 22, near the city of Paola.
JAMES SANDERSON FERGUSON, farmer, P. O. Paola, was born in Lycoming County, Pa., in 1821. Was brought up a farmer and removed to Kentucky when twenty-two years of age. Spent one year in Louisville and then removed to Indiana. He resided in the latter State about eighteen years, when he removed to Kentucky. In 1868 he came to Kansas and settled in Miami County, near Spring Hill, on the southwest quarter of Section 30, Township 15, Range 24, where he engaged in farming until 1880, when he moved to a farm of 240 acres, which he had purchased, on Section 3, Township 17, Range 23, of Paola, still retaining ownership of his farm of 160 acres, near Spring Hill. In 1882 he sold all but the south eighty acres of his farm in Paola, but has not yet given possession. Mr. F. was married in Pennsylvania in 1845 to Miss Maria H. Snyder., who died in 1859, leaving five children. He was married again January 1,1861, in Gallatin County, Ky., to Miss Juliett L., daughter of Johnston Frank. Mrs. F. was born in Kentucky. There are three children living born of this marriage. Mr. F. still resides near Paola City.
E. FREEMAN, watchmaker and jeweler, was born in New Jersey, March 10, 1844. Removed to Iowa in 1864. Learned the watchmaker and jeweler's trade and engaged in business in the State. He continued in business eleven years and in 1880 came to Paola and opened his present establishment in June of that year. Mr. Freeman carries a general stock of clocks, watches, jewelry, and silverware, and does all kinds of work in his line.
PHILLIP P. FOWLER, was born in Hillsborough County, N. H., June 30, 1812; was educated in his native state, and became a minister of the Universalist Church. He immigrated to Kansas in 1854, was an ardent Free-state man, and was a correspondent of the >Herald of Freedom while he made a tour of the State. He was a candidate for Representative at the first election and was declared elected by Gov. Reeder, but was refused his seat by his political opponents. He wrote a history of early time, under the title of "Jayhawkers" which was read with interest. He was an intimate associate of old John Brown, and concealed and defended that notorious champion of freedom, on several occasions. He has resided at Paola since 1861, and for many years has held the office of Police Judge. In religion, he is a Universalist; in politics, Republican.
WILLIAM GANO, proprietor of City Meat Market, was born in New Jersey, in 1830; removed to Springfield, Ill., and from there to Paola, Kas., in 1870. In 1872, he opened a meat market and has been in business continuously since, and is now the oldest established dealer in his line in the city. He buys the best stock to be had, and has always on hand a good supply of fresh, salt and smoked meats.
J. M. GEORGE, retired merchant, was born in Indiana, in 1837; received a business education and entered upon a mercantile life as a dealer in general merchandise. In 1868, he emigrated to Kansas and, in company with Mr. S. D. Condon, opened a hardware store at Paola under the firm name of J. M. George & Co. Starting in a small way, by strict attention to business, and fair dealing, they built up a prosperous trade. This firm continued business until October, 1882, when they sold out to Messrs. Condon, Carrel & Co. The last year, their sales aggregated $70,000. Mr. George has been obliged to retire from business to recruit his health. He has made his record one of the leading merchants of the county, in his line, and he retires possessing the utmost confidence and esteem of his fellow citizens.
HENRY H. GRIMSHAW, proprietor of the Commercial House, was born in England in 1832. When two years of age, he came to America and was brought up in the city of Brooklyn, N. Y. In 1867, he moved to Ohio, where he resided three years, and came to Paola, Kas., arriving here in 1870. He was engaged in the grocery business for several years, and in 1874, began keeping hotel. For eight years he kept a small wooden building and in spite of all the disadvantages made it the most popular hotel in Paola. In 1882, he built the brick structure which he now occupies, which is situated just east of the Miami County Bank. The Commercial House is 40 by 70 feet, three stories high, built of brick, with metal roof. It contains twenty-six rooms. The rooms are high and large and are lighted by large modern windows of two lights each. The house is finished throughout in the best style, and under the able management of Mr. and Mrs. Grimshaw it is rated as one of the most popular hotels in the State.
CHARLES S. GOULD, proprietor of Paola omnibus and transfer line, also agent of Adams Express Company, was born in Vermont and came to Paola from Massachusetts, in the fall of 1872. In 1872, established his omnibus and transfer line, in which he employs six teams and a many men. He was appointed agent of the Adams Express Company in 1875. Prompt and energetic in the discharge of his business, Mr. G. commands the confidence and esteem of the general public.
GEORGE W. HALDEMAN, M. D. physician and surgeon, was born in Perry County, Pa, in 1830; removed to Mechanicsburg, Cumberland County, in his youth, where he received an academic education. He began the study of medicine under the late Dr. Ira Day, of that place, and subsequently attended lectures at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia and received his degree in March, 1854. He began practice at Newville, Pa.; he was a member of the Cumberland County, Pa., Medical Society, and afterwards a member of the State Medical Society, of which he was vice-president in 1867. He was also a member of the Newville Board of Education. During the late war he was Chairman of the Local Sanitary Committee. In 1870, he moved to Paola, Kas., and established an extensive practice. He has been successful in both medicine and surgery, and in the practice of the latter, has performed some very difficult operations with marked success. Dr. Haldeman is a member of the Paola Board of Education. President of the State Medical Society, and United States Pension Examining Surgeon of this district. He was married in November, 1855, to Annie, daughter of Jacob Wogan, Esq., of York County, Pa.
G. L. HANKINS, carpenter and builder, and Justice of the Peace, was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, in 1840; removed to Illinois in 1851, and while only a lad, joined a party of United States Surveyors, engaged in surveying the State line between Iowa and Missouri; was connected with that party for three years; then returned to Bloomington, Ill., and learned the harness making trade. He subsequently learned the carpenter and joiner trade, at which he worked until the attack on Fort Sumter. On the second day of the bombardment, he enlisted at the call for three months' men. He was number ten on the roll of Illinois troops. He was assigned to the Eighth Infantry, served three months, and re-enlisted in Company I, Third Illinois Cavalry, and served til September 25, 1865; was regularly promoted to Captain. The latter commission he did not accept as he was serving as Corps Wagon Master, which position he held one year and eight months. On receiving his discharge he returned to Illinois and in the spring of 1868, he moved to Paola, Kas. March 4th of that year, he opened a grocery at this place. He was appointed agent of the United States Express Company, in June, 1869, and served til September 1, 1875. Since which time he has been building and serving as Justice of the Peace; was elected in 1878 and is now serving his third term.
ROBERT S. HARRIS, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Paola (son of Joseph Harris) was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1848; moved to Missouri in early youth, with his parents. On the breaking out of the late war, his father, a Douglas Democrat, was threatened with violence if he did not leave Missouri. Early in 1861, finding things too warm, and after losing heavily he moved to Kansas, being one of the first of the refugees. The family settled in Miami County, town of Paola. Robert, then a lad of thirteen years of age, witnessed many of the violent scenes of the times; later in the war, being considered large enough to shoulder a gun, he was enrolled a member of Company E, Fifth Kansas Militia, and served til the close of the war. He is now living on his farm of eighty acres, near Paola, in the quiet employment of the good government for which he did good serve in his youth.
JEREMIAH T. HAUGHEY, of the firm of Haughey & Fisher, fire insurance agents, was born in Ohio. Moved to Illinois, where he was a pioneer of Logan County in 11849. In 1857 he moved to Kansas and located at Miami Mission. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Twelfth Kansas Infantry as a private and served three years. On his return from the army he was elected Treasurer of the Miami County and in January, 1866, moved to Paola in the discharge of his duties. At the end of the term, by a change in the law regulating the tenure of the office, there was an interregnum of six months between the close of one term and the beginning of the next. He was appointed to fill such vacancy and re-elected the following term. In 1872 he established his insurance agency, and January, 1881, took in Mr. Burr Fisher as a partner.
ZACCHEUS HAYES, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Paola, was born in Connecticut in 1835, where he was brought up on a farm til twenty-one years of age, he then, in 1856, immigrated to Illinois and located in Kane County. He was married in that county in October, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Horace Willis. They have two daughters-Amy A. and Alma M. Mr. Hayes came to Kansas in 1866 and purchased a farm of 190 acres in the town of Wea, Miami County; and in the fall of the following year moved his family to their new home. He was extensively engaged in growing and feeding stock, having an average herd of sixty steers and 200 hogs. In the fall of 1881, having purchased a farm of 110 acres lying adjacent to the village of Paola, on Section 9, he removed to this place, still retaining the ownership of the old farm in Wea. Mr. Hayes was soldier of the late war. He enlisted in September, 1861, as a private of Company I, Eighth Illinois Cavalry. Was promoted to the position of Orderly Sergeant of his company and served three years. Was attached to the army of the Potomac. He has held various positions of public honor and trust, the duties of which he has discharged with ability and fidelity. He was elected County Commissioner of Miami County in 1877 for one year; served that term, and was re-elected for the term of three years, serving in all four years.
A. W. HEATON, grocer, was born in Illinois and brought up in that State. He enlisted in 1862, in the Ninety-first Regiment Illinois Infantry and served until the close of the war. He was subsequently engaged in the mercantile business in Illinois. In 1881 he came to Paola and engaged in the grocery trade. He carries a complete stock of general groceries, queensware and provisions, of an average value of $4,000.
J. T. HIGHLEY, junior partner of the firm of Sheridan & Highley, publishers and proprietors of the Western Spirit, a weekly Democratic paper. Mr. Highley is a practical printer. He was born in Cass County, Mo., March 4, 1856, Came to Paola, Kan., with his parents in childhood, in 1858. He was educated in the Paola City schools and the State Normal School of Paola. When fifteen years of age he began learning the printer's trade in the office of the Paola Democrat; spent nine months in that office and then engaged in the office of the Western Spirit He then spent a year and a half as a journeyman printer on various Kansas City papers. Returning to Paola in 1878, he purchased an interest in the Spirit office June 14. The paper was then published under the firm name of Carroll, Clark & Highley. Subsequently Mr. B. J. Sheridan bought in, Messrs. Carroll and Clark retiring, since which time the paper has been published by Sheridan & Highley. Mr. Highley is a member of the present City Council, having been elected as Alderman from the First Ward at the municipal election 1882.
J. P. HINER, grocer, was born in New Jersey, came to Illinois in 1848, located in Stark County, and removed to Kansas in 1857. He made his home in Anderson County, and September, 1861, enlisted in the Second Kansas Cavalry; was attached to the Seventh Army Corps and served until May, 1865. On his return from the army he came to Paola, where he has continued to reside. In 1881, he began the grocery business with Mr. T. M. Dixon, under the firm name of Dixon & Hiner. Mr. Hiner bought out his partner's interest in September, 1882. He carries a full line of groceries, provisions, crockery and queensware, and is doing a very satisfactory business.
J. B. Hobson, real estate agent. Mr. Hobson is a pioneer of Miami County of 1857, and participated in the stormy scenes of the early times in this county. He was born in Indiana in 1831, lived in his native State till 1857, when he came to Kansas. He opened the first real estate office at Paola, and has been in business ever since. He was appointed the first Clerk of the District Court in 1858, under Buchanan's administration. The first term of court was held in the spring of 1859, Judge Williams presiding. He served till the admission of the State to the Union in 1861, was then out a short time, when he was re-appointed by Judge Thatcher, the first elected Judge of the district. During the war he did duty as a member of the Home Guards. Although a Democrat in politics he has been twice elected Mayor of the city.
WOODSON D. HOOVER, physician and surgeon. Is the pioneer practioner (sic)in his profession in this region; having come to Lykins County, now Miami, Kansas Territory in April, 1856, as assistant physician and surgeon to the Confederated School of Wea, Peorias' and other Indian tribes under Dr. David Lykins, then physician in charge of the missions at Paola. He was identified with the Pro-slavery party in the early troubles on the Kansas border and served as a member of the Lykins County Militia under Capt. Arbuckle. He was Post Surgeon at Paola during the late war. Dr. Hoover was born in Jessamine County, Ky., in 1834. He was educated at Lexington College, Ky. Began practice in Kentucky, and in 1856, came to Kansas. He has been one of the leading physicians and surgeons of this region for many years and has an extensive and lucrative practice. He has been prominently identified with the educational interests of Paola City and has been a member of the School Board eight years. He was elected Mayor of the city at the municipal election of 1883 on the Temperance ticket.
W. S. HOWARD, photo-artist, rooms north side of park, successor to C. W. Mangrum who established the business in 1868. Mr. Howard bought the gallery in March, 1880. He was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., learned the photo business in New York in 1870; removed to Pennsylvania in 1873 and pursued the same business until 1880, when he came to Paola, and in March of that same year, bought out Mr. Mangrum, and has since carried on the business at this place. Mr. Howard is a thorough master of his business and does none but first class work. Does copying and enlarging and makes pictures in any style required.
W. HUMPHREY, druggist, was born in Iowa and brought up in his native State, learned the drug business and was engaged in trade in that line at Lenox, Iowa. In 1879 he came to Paola and established his present business. His stock in trade embraces a complete assortment of drugs, medicines, books, stationery and toilet articles. Mr. Humphrey is a member of the City Council.
REV. DANIEL J. HURLEY, resident priest of the Church of Holy Trinity, Paola. The subject of this sketch was born in Boston, Mass, July 5, 1854. He was educated at St. Vincent Seminary, Westmoreland County, Pa., under the management of the order of the Benedictine Fathers. He was ordained June 29, 1877, and assigned to the charge of the Church of the Holy Trinity at Paola. He proceeded to this place and entered upon the duties of his holy calling, August 15, 1877 succeeding Father J. Abel. The congregation of this church numbers about 300 souls. They have lately erected a fine brick church which is almost completed.
ROBERT M. HUSTON, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Paola, was born in Fayette County, Ind., in 1845, and was brought up a farmer. Came to Kansas in 1869 and purchased the fine farm of 320 acres he now occupies. He also has ten acres of timber adjoining town and another farm of 160 acres in Marshall County of this State. He was married in 1870 to Miss Nellie Mason. Returned to Indiana in 1873, without disposing of his Kansas property, and remained till the winter of 1880, when he returned to Kansas and located on his farm in Paola.