|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
COUNTY ORGANIZATION AND BUILDINGS.
Lykins County (now Miami) was organized by the Legislature, elected March 30, 1855, and named in honor of Dr. Lykins, the oldest white resident of the county. At that election, Dr. Lykins and A. M. Coffey were elected to the Council, and W. A. Heiskell, Allen Wilkenson, Henry Younger and Samuel Scott, all Pro-slavery, were elected to the House of Representatives. Dr. Lykins was a well educated physician, and from 1844 to 1861, had charge of the Mission School, one mile east of Paola. In the latter year he removed to Colorado, and died on his arrival at Denver.
Miami County Civil List-State Senators-With date of election - J. H. Phillips, 1859; Thomas Roberts, 1861; Johnson Clark, 1862; G. A. Colton, 1864; David Anderson, 1866; H. H. Williams, 1868; E. H. Topping, 1870 and 1872; William Jones, 1874; B. F. Simpson, 1876; Leonard Bradbury, 1880.
Members of the House of Representives-With date of election - A. Ellis, G. A. Colton, 1859; G. W. Miller, B. F. Simpson, 1860; W. R. Wagstaff, H. Rice, 1861; I. Christie, A. Ellis, L. C. Connery, 1862; William Chestnut, T. H. Ellis, W. G. McCulloch, 1863; H. Updegraff, J. A. Kendall, William Huffman, 1866; H. H. Williams, J. W. Gossett, William Huffman, 1867; W. Hyner,-Taylor, H. B. Smith, 1868; Reuben Smith, E. H. Topping, E. W. Green, 1869; H. B. Smith, B. F. Simpson, J. M. Carpenter, 1870; J. W. Beaty, Reuben Smith, 1872; J. C. Carey, M. Finkham, 1873; T. E. Smith, F. M. Fain, 1874; Eli Davis, J. C. Nichols, 1875; Eli Davis, L. Hendrickson, G. F. Tracey, 1876; J. W. Games, James Martin, H. Rice, 1878; J. W. Games, henry Post, and H. Rice, 1880.
County Commissioners-When the county organization was first elected the body corresponding to the present Board of County Commissioners consisted of the Probate Judge and two Commissioners. The first Board, according to the records still preserved, held its first meeting April 2, 1857, and consisted of A. H. McFadin, Probate Judge, and James Beets and L. D. Williams, "gentlemen Commissioners."Previously Isaac Jacobs was Probate Judge; and subsequently Cyrus Tator in 1858. The county was then governed by a Board of Supervisors, one from each township, until 1860, when the County Commissioner system was established. The first meeting was held April 2, 1860, and the first Board consisted of Israel Christie, John M. Ellis and R. W. Shipley, elected March 26. The following is the list to the present time, with date of election: Israel Christie, J. H. Benson, John Dodd, November 6, 1860; Nick L. Beuter, Israel Christie, John M. Roberts, 1861; J. M. Walthall, J. R. Chandler, Samuel Dale, 1862; J. H. Pratt, W. Hymer, Robert Lapsley, 1863; H. Rice, W. Hymer, H. O. Peery, 1865; John Tontz, Cyrus Shaw, H. Rice, 1867; John Tontz, Cyrus Shaw, C. Barnard, 1869; C. M. Dickson, G. E. DeForest, Israel Christie, 1871; P. F. Latimer, S. P. Boone, J. H. Martin, 1873; P. F. Latimer, S. P. Boone, William McConner, 1875; Z. Hayes, William Rogers, L. Hamlin, 1877; J. A. Payne, 1879; W. L. Beck, 1880; T. B. Robinson, 1881.
County Assessor-With date of election - Richard Mendenhall, 1857; W. T. Shively, March, 1860; William Tharp, November, 1860; W. G. McCullough, 1861; James Burney, 1862 and 1863; W. Stockwell, 1864; George Roberts, 1865 and 1866, W. H. Standiford, 1867; T. J. Cummins, 1868, when the office was abolished.
Clerk of the District Court - L. McArthur, E. W. Robinson, J. B. Hobson, D. B. Wilson, 1860; H. B. Smith, 1861; George Roberts, 1862; I. J. Banister, 1863; Thomas Roberts, 1864; L. J. Banister, 1866; J. S. Beeson, 1869; J. E. Wallace, 1874; E. M. Wickersham, 1876, present incumbent.
Register of Deeds - W. A. Heiskel, E. W. Robinson, A. J. Shannon; W. T. Shively, 1861; J. L. J. Chandler, 1865; L. C. Crittenden, 1869; John A. Welles, 1873; Eli Chandler, 1875; S. Underhill, 1877; C. C. Proctor, 1881.
Treasurer - Allen T. Ward, 1857; Cyrus Shaw, 1859; W. P. Dutton, 1860; W. J. McCown, 1861; J. H. Phillips, 1862; William T. Shively, 1863; Thomas Akers, 1864; J. T. Haughey, 1865; William Crowell, 1869; G. E. DeForest, 1873; S. R. Smith, 1875; J. A. Miller, 1879.
Superintendent of Instruction - H. M. Hughes, Abram Ellis, A. A. Roberts, 1861; I. J. Banister, 1862; S. Underhill, 1863; John Welles, 1866; I. J. Banister, 1867; A. C. Farnham, 1870; I. J. Banister, 1872; B. D. Russell, 1874; J. W. Flemming, 1878; S. F. March, 1880.
Coroner - Cyrus Holdridge, 1857; C. O. Gause, 1859; P. P. Fowler, 1861; D. E. Stephens, 1863; John Austin, 1865; W. D. Hawkins, 1866; R. P. Lummis, 1867; J. M. Carpenter, 1869; T. Dennis, 1870; William Waters, 1873; W. H. Wilhoite, 1875; R. J. Hiner, 1877; Amos Potter, 1879.
County Attorney - B. F. Simpson, S. A. Riggs, R. W. Massey, John M. Coe, Thomas Roberts, 1865; E. F. Smith, 1868; A. C. Potter, 1870; A. C. Potter, 1871; W. T. Johnston, 1873; W. R. Brayman, 1876; W. T. Johnston, 1878; J. A. Hoag, 1880.
Court House - The first steps looking towards the erection of a court house were taken July 29, 1857, when it was ordered by the Commissioners that "the sum of $15,000 be appropriated to build a court house at Paola, that the bonds of the county bearing ten per cent, interest be issued and that they shall not be sold at less than par". The bonds were not issued, nor has the court house been built. On the 10th of April, 1862, the Board paid $800 for "Union Hall" to be used as a court house. After using the second story of the "Rainey Block" some years for county offices, the Commissioners, on May 8, 1876, leased the old "Paola school building" for a court house, and on the 7th of November, following, a vote was had on the purchase of the building which resulted in the casting of 1,872 votes in favor of the purchase, to 307 against it. Total amount paid for the building $9,200.
ELECTIONS AND LAND SALES.
The first election held in the county was for members of the Council and House of representatives, March 30, 1855. Most of Lykins County was included in Bull Creek Precinct of the Fifth District, and the election was held at the house of Baptiste Peoria, about twenty rods west of the present location of the Normal school, Paola. The judges of election, appointed by Gov. Reeder, were: John J. Parks, J. J. Clark and Stephen White; those who acted were Parks, Payne and B. C. Westfall, and they were not sworn. Most of the voters came from Missouri the few days before for the purpose of voting. They were all heavily armed and asserted that if any one attempted to prevent them from voting, they would "assert their rights and vote anyhow". Samuel Wade, from near Santa Fe, Mo., after voting for himself, voted for his son, Jim Wade, a boy about ten years old, saying, in explanation, that he had taken a claim for him, on Bull Creek, and that he expected Jimmy would become a resident of the Territory and a voter. For the sake of effect the judges asked several persons if they were willing to be sworn that they were residents of the Territory, at which they would pretend to get angry, threaten to whip the judges and refuse to be sworn. The matter, however, was understood and arranged beforehand. the result of the election was that the Pro-slavery candidates were elected by a vote of 377, to nine for the Free state candidates. At the time there were twenty legal voters in the precinct, but as the Missourians were well armed, under the influence of whiskey all day and very threatening, some of the Free state men did not vote. The Free state candidates for the Council were M. G. Morris and James P. Fox; for the House, John Serpell, Adam Pore, S. H. Houser and Samuel Jennings.
On October 1, 1855, an election was held for a delegate to Congress. J. W. Whitfield was the Pro-slavery candidate, and in the Paola precinct received 220 votes. At the time there were seventy legal voters residing in the precinct, hence 150 illegal votes were cast. The Free state men took no part in the election.
On the 9th of the same month an election was held for delegates to the Topeka Constitutional Convention, and for a delegate to Congress. Osawatomie precinct cast 67 votes and Stanton 35. The delegates elected from the Fifth District, of which Lykins County formed a part, were William Turner, James M. McArthur, W. T. Morris, Orville C. Brown, Richard Knight, Fred Brown, H. Smith, and Wm. S. Nichols. A. H. Reeder received 44 votes in Stanton and 74 in Osawatomie. At this election the Pro-slavery men took no part.
On the 15th of December an election was held on the adoption of the Topeka Constitution. Stanton cast 32 votes for the Constitution; Osawatomie 56 for and 1 against it. At the same time Stanton cast 33 votes for, to 5 against and Osawatomie 38 for to 17 against the exclusion of negroes and mulattoes.
At the election of October 6, 1856, for delegate to Congress, J. W. Whitfield received 133 votes in Lykins County, Martin White and J. P. Fox receiving respectively, 127 and 105 votes for representatives in the Territorial Legislature. The Free- state men did not vote.
At the election of June 15, the next year, Lykins County cast 58 votes for delegates to the LeCompton Constitutional Convention, electing David Lykins, Wm. A. Heiskell, Henry T. Lyons and J. T. Bradford as members. According to the census taken prior to this election, the county contained 1, 352 inhabitants and 413 legal voters.
August 9, 1857, at the election for officers under the Topeka Constitution, there were cast in Lykins County for Rev. S. L. Adair for Senator, 269 votes; for representatives J. W. Stewart received 427 votes and E. W. Robinson 417. At the election of October 5, when the two parties in Kansas for the first time measured their strength, Lykins County cast for the Free-state candidates for the Territorial Legislature, 348 votes; for the Democratic, 59 electing A. J. Shannon and John Hanna to the House and M. B. Standiford to the Council.
A vote was taken on the Lecompton Constitution, and for officers under it, December 21, 1857. Lykins County cast 81 votes for the Constitution with slavery and 12 for without slavery; and 517 votes on Governor. H. H. Williams was elected senator and Charles A. Foster, Representative. A second election was held January 4, 1858, on the Lecompton Constitution, at which time Lykins County cast 358 votes against it, 1 vote for it with slavery and 1 for it without slavery. On January 26, David Sibett was elected to the Council to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Hon. H. B. Standiford, which occurred January 3. On the 15th of February, Charles A. Foster, G. A. Colton, Thomas Roberts and A. Knapp were elected delegates to the Leavenworth Constitutional Convention. This convention met at Minneola, March 23, and adjourned to Leavenworth on the 24th.
August 2, a vote was taken on the English Bill. Lykins gave 99 votes for it and 440 against it. At the territorial election held October 4, M. F. Holliday and Abram Ellis were elected to the House, the former receiving 363 votes, the latter 273.
The first election under the Wyandotte Constitutional movement was held March 28, 1859. Lykins cast 460 votes for a convention and 64 against it, but as only the votes of Marysville reached the capital, and as they were sent to the Governor instead of to the County Board, they were not counted. The second election under this movement, held June 4, for delegates to the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, resulted in electing B. F. Simpson by 443 votes, and W. P. Dutton by 431. The third election was on the adoption of the constitution held October 4, 1858. According to the proclamation of Gov. Medary, Lykins County cast 492 votes for the constitution and 295 against it; for the exemption of a homestead from forced sale, 455 for to 225 against. The fourth election, held November 8 was for officers under the Constitution. Marcus J. Parrott, the Republican candidate for delegate to Congress, received 453 votes, to 355 for Saunders W. Johnston, the Democratic nominee. W. W. Updegraff was elected to the Council, receiving 994 votes, and w. R. Wagstaff to the House. The fifth election was held December 6, for State off icers. Charles Robinson received 312 votes for Governor, to 200 for Samuel Medary, in Lykins County. James a, Phillips was elected to the Senate and Abram Ellis, G. A. Colton and Cyrus Tator to the House.
Public Land Sales - The public sales of Indian trust lands took place June 24, 1857, at Paola. These lands were of the finest and best in the territory, and the sale of them was largely attended. It was the design to sell only to actual settlers, and while the regulations governing the sales were in some cases evaded, as a general thing the land sold fell into the possession of those who desired it for purposes of settlement instead of speculation. the result of the sale was that Lykins county secured a large addition to its population of industrious, intelligent and prosperous citizens.
Hon. Robert J. Walker, who had, on May 9, previous, taken the oath of office as Governor of the Territory, Governor Bigler, Secretary Stanton, E. O. Perrine and others, were present, and made speeches on the political issues of the day. As a general thing, the speeches gave satisfaction to men of all parties. A portion of Mr. Perrine's speech, however, greatly offended the Free-state men. On the other hand, Charles A. Foster, of Osawatomie, in his reply to the addresses, by the distinguished visitor, reflected severely on the policy of both the territorial and national governments, and was somewhat personal in his remarks upon the pro-slavery leaders in the county., This stirred up considerable ill-feeling in both parties. Pistols and knives were drawn and serious trouble threatened several times, but fortunately the meeting adjourned without bloodshed.
On the life of Hon. H. B. Standiford, who, while a member of the Territorial Legislature, died at Lecompton, January 3, 1858, we quote from E. W. Robinson's History of Miami County, as follows: " By the death of Mr. Standiford, Lykins County lost one of her ablest and most widely respected citizens. He was a leader to be trusted, a friend warm and steadfast, and a citizen whose calm judgment, in public and private life, was consulted and relied upon by the entire community. In public life he was an uncompromising Free-state man; firm, but not vindictive, active, but not revengeful. He had been an anti-slavery member of the Missouri Legislature and came to Kansas in the spring of 1855, locating near the town of Stanton, where he took up his residence. he attended the special session of the Legislature which assembled at Lecompton, December 7, 1855, and died the day previous to the meeting of that body in regular sessions. His remains lie buried in the cemetery at Stanton."
Miami County is traversed by two railroads-the Missouri River, Fort Scott & Gulf, and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. The former runs through the county from north to south, the latter enters it from Missouri on the east, and after reaching Paola, turns southwest and runs into Anderson County. The first vote on issuing bonds was cast November 7, 1865, and resulted in favor of the proposition to subscribe for $150,000 of the capital stock of the Kansas and Neosho Valley Railroad Company, and to pay for the same with $150,000 in county bonds, by a vote of 488 to 248. On August 5, 1869, an election was held on the proposition to subscribe $100,000 to the capital stock of the Paola & Fall River Railroad, and $125,000 to that of the Paola & State Line Railroad, issuing to each road an amount of county bonds equal to the county's subscription to its stock, upon the condition that the roads be constructed by January 1, 1871. The vote stood 1, 061 in favor of the proposition and 305 against it. The name "Paola & State Line Railroad" was subsequently changed to the "Missouri, Kansas & Texas" On July 27, 1870, a contract was made between the county and this company by which $75,000 in stock and bonds were to be exchanged when the railroad should be constructed from the east line of the State to Paola, and $50,000 when the road should reach the west line of the county. On October 4, a vote was taken on extending the time for the completion of the road from January 1, 1871, to October, for its completion to Paola, and to July 1, 1872, for its completion to the west line of the county. On August 1, preceding this election, the $75,000 in the stock of this road issued to the county was sold back to the company for $5. The $150,000 in the stock of the Kansas & Neosho Valley Road (now the Missouri River, Fort Scott, & Gulf), had been previously sold for a like sum, $5. On the 21st of June, 1871, a contract was made with the Paola & Fall River Railroad by which the road was to be completed by July 1, 1872. The company failing to complete its road before the expiration of the time, the $100,000 in bonds, hitherto issued, were called in, canceled and destroyed, July 3, 1872; as were likewise, at the same time, $50,000 issued to the Missouri, Kansas & Texas, that company having failed to complete its proposed extension west of Paola. The sum total of county bonds issued to railroads, and not called in, comprises $150,000 to the Missouri, Fort Scott & Gulf Road and $75,000 to the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Road, in all $225,000. Of this amount $7,200 was paid in July, 1882, leaving outstanding $117,800, the annual interest of which at seven percent, is $15,246. The assessed value of all railroad property, is $450,742, the taxes upon which, at three percent, amount to $13,522.26, nearly enough to pay the interest on the bonds.
This is, however, slightly modified by the fact that Osawatomie Township issued $15,000 in bonds to the St. Louis, Arizona & Texas, the successor of the Paola & Fall River Railroad. The company fulfilling the conditions of the grant by completing its road by January 1, 1880. This road is now a part of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas.
Wea Grange, No. 445, Patrons of Husbandry, was chartered August 22, 1873. The charter members were: G. H. Giller, Thomas Holden, J. C. Lovett, William Holden, D. H. Heflebower, W. L. Holden, P. F. Lattimer, A. M. Wickline, Jacob Flanders, B. Heflebower, E. Kirby, E. Heflebower, H. R. Amos, D. J. Post, Joseph Hibner, J. C. Ziler, William Amos, Charles Flanders, Mrs. C. H. Giller, Mrs. J. C. Lovett, Mrs. D. H. Heflebower, Mrs. William Holden, Mrs. P. F. Latimer, Mrs. Jacob Flanders, Mrs. Charles Flanders, Mrs. B. Heflebower, Mrs. J. D. Post, Mrs. Rachel Amos.
The first officers were : Master, P. F. Latimer; Overseer, J. C. Lovett; Lecturer, J. J. Hibner; Chaplain, E. H. Kirby; Steward, Charles Flanders; Secretary, G. H. Giller; Treasurer, D. H. Heflebower; Ceres, Mrs. D. H. Heflebower; Pomona, Louisa __, Flora, Mrs. B. Helfebower.
The present officers are: Master, A. B. Lovett; Overseer, J. F. Hamon; Lecturer, Mrs. Annie Worthington; Steward, George W. Holden; Assistant Steward, Charles Williar; Chaplain, J. R. Hope; Treasurer, E. Heflebower; Secretary, C. F. Worthington; Gatekeeper, Charles Holden; Ceres, Celia Moore; Pomona, Louisa __; Flora, Miss Ida Myers; Lady Assistant Steward, Mrs. Lu Holden.
This Grange meets once a month at the Wea Grange hall, situated on the southwest quarter of Section 26, Township 15, Range 24. This hall and Union Chapel constitute one building, the Grange occupying the upper, and the Chapel the lower story. The building is a wooden structure, thirty feet wide by fifty feet deep, and with twenty-four feet posts, was built in 1879 and cost $3000. The lower story is appropriately furnished and seated for religious services, and is used by several denominations as a Union Chapel. The upper story is neatly and suitably furnished as a Grange Hall. The Grange is in good working order, having a membership of 140. It is situated in one of the richest sections of Kansas, and supported by an intelligent and enterprising people.
Ten Mile Grange, Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1874. Was subsequently suspended, and reopened again in September, 1879. Mr. Irate Rhinehart was the first master, and H. A. Miller, overseer. On the reorganization, Mr. Rhinehart was again elected master, and J. V. Lyon, overseer. At this writing, 1883, N. B. Robinson is master, and M. B. Dayton, overseer. The membership is thirty-six. The lodge meets at the school house of District No. 27, Marysville Township. Mrs. M. Dayton is lecturer; Mrs. M. Nicholson, chaplain; Frank M. Randall, treasurer; O. G. Olney, secretary; J. Bratton, steward; J. Null, assistant steward.
As may be seen by the following statement, Miami County is one of the richest in the State. Total numbers of acres in the county, 375,360; total number of acres taxable, 368,927; value $2,621,147; total number of town lots, 4,840, value, $350,528; aggregate value of personal property, $1,016,550; railroad property, $450,742.56; grand total of taxable property in the county, $4,438,967.56.
Horses, 8,544, value $277,066; cattle 27,946, value $313,604; mules 1,139, value $53,169; sheep 3, 082, value $3,072; hogs 22, 739, value $63,337; farming implements, value $55,770. vehicles 2808, value $52,602; moneys $43,101, credits $21,548; merchandise $104,950, manufacturers' stock $12,225, notes $111,589, mortgages $57,914, other property $202,494, total $1,375,350; deducting Constitutional exemption, $358,800, there remains for personal property taxable $1,016,550.
The farms in the county comprise 275,984 acres, valued at $3,529,028. In 1881 the number of acres in the different kinds of crops were as follows: Winter wheat 6,380, rye 322, corn 103,779, oats 10,528, potatoes 777, sweet potatoes 10, sorghum 186, castor beans 442, cotton 10, flax 24, 414, millet and hungarian 4,357, pearl millet 498, broom corn 83, timothy meadow 4, 068, clover 1, 246, other tame grasses 630, prairie 48, 405, tame hay cut 4, 723 tons, prairie hay 48, 405.
But little attention has thus far been paid to forest cultures. The following is the number of acres of the various kinds of trees planted as reported by the assessors March 1, 1882: Cottonwood 2(one half) acres, honey locust 1 acre, maple 122 acres, walnut 28 acres, and of other varieties 11 three fourths acres. Of fruit trees the following number were reported: Apples-bearing 107,905, not bearing 46,082; pears-bearing, 1,901, not bearing, 1,980; peach-bearing 66,318, not bearing 19,843; plum-bearing 1,726, not bearing 1,524; cherries-bearing 26,994, not bearing 6,986; grapes, 56 acres-gallons of wine made 828.
The first school organized in the county under the State was that at New Lancaster, April 19, 1862. At the present time there are ninety-five districts and ninety-four schoolhouses-one log, eighty-one frame, and twelve stone. The total school population of the county is 6,500; 3,256 males and 3, 244 females. During the year 1881 there were employed sixty-six male and eighty -two female teachers at an average monthly salary for the males of $34,73, and for the females $27.12. In 1882 there was a general advance in teachers' wages of $8 per month, and a corresponding advance in the efficiency of the schools. In 1880 three of the schools adopted a "Course of Study," and in 1881 twenty-two followed the example set.
The first Normal Institute was held in 1877, by Prof John Wherrell, who has conducted most of the annual Institutes since. It was attended by 180 teachers. The average attendance since has been about 125. These institutes have been productive of great good to the cause of public education, increasing the interest of the teachers in their work and their ability to perform it. It is only those teachers, who, in their own estimations, are beyond advancement, that receive no benefit from the Normal Institute.