KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


MCPHERSON COUNTY, Part 9

[TOC] [part 8] [Cutler's History]

NEW GOTTLAND TOWNSHIP.

GUST BURK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. New Gottland, Section 34. He has 240 acres of land on the above section, and 180 acres on Section 27, all cultivated. In 1882, he raised 1, 587 bushels of wheat, an average of thirty-five bushels per acre. He was born in Sweden, February 1, 1846. Came to America in 1867. He worked in various places until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1871, to Miss Anna L. Hult, a native of Sweden. They have four children - Amada, Chrales F., Esther M. and David. G. They are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church, of New Gottland Township. He has served as Township Trustee, Postmaster, etc. In 1882, he raised nine tons of broom corn, which sold at $100 per ton.

SWAN BURK, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. New Gottland, Section 35, has 400 acres of land with 280 cultivated. In 1882, there was 3,047 bushels of wheat raised on his land, and ninety acres of broom corn, producting thirty tons, which sold at $100 per ton. He came to his place, April 3, 1871. He was born in Sweden in 1839; came to America in 1865, settling in Jefferson County, Iowa, where he worked about three and one-half years, at anything he could find to do. He was married in 1868, to Miss Mary A. Almgren, a native of the latter county, Iowa. They have three children - Clara O., Emma E. and Matilda S. His wife died in 1877. He was married again, March 4, 1881, to Miss Mary C. Hockenson, a native of Sweden. They have one daughter - Ida Maria. They are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church, of New Gottland. He has served as Township Treasurer two terms.

C. O. GRANT, farmer and stock raise, Sections 34 and 35, P. O. New Gottland. He came to this place in the spring of 1876 and opened a farm of 320 acres, 240 of which he has since cultivated. In 1882 he raised 3,000 bushels of wheat and twenty tons of broom corn. He was born in Sweden May 26, 1849, and came to America in 1863, locating in Knox County, Ill. His wife's maiden name was Thilda Grant. They have five children, Hattie M., Albertina W., Mattie W., Nellie A. and Oscar Wilfred E. They are all members of the Swedish Lutheran Church of New Gottland.

JOHN P. GRANT, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. New Gottland, Section 1. He came to his place in the spring of 1872. Owns 600 acres of land, 440 acres he has under cultivation. In 1882 he raised 3,000 bushels of wheat, an average of thirty-five bushels per acre, also twelve tons of broom corn. He was the first Township Trustee elected in McPherson Township. He has been a member of the McPherson County Board for the past three years, and was recently elected for a term of three years. Was born in Sweden November 2, 1837, and came to America in 1863, locating in Galesburg, Ill., at which time he had only $3 in money and a family to keep. He worked at many kinds of labor until he came to Kansas and began farming. Married in 1855 to Miss Anna S. Johnson, a native of Sweden, born January 1, 1838. They have three children, Charles E., David H., and Nellie C. They are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church of this township.

P. M. SANNQUIST, P. O. New Gottland, pastor of the New Gottland Swedish Lutheran Church. This church was organized in 1872. The church building erected in 1876 at a cost of $3,000. There are 250 members at present. P. M. Sannquist came to this place in the fall of 1878 and took charge of the above church. He was born in Oskarbaunn, Sweden, June 8, 1835. Came to America in 1865 and located in Altona, Ill., and took charge of the Lutheran Church there in the fall of 1867 and after that moved to Woodhull, Ill., in the fall of 1871, where he took charge of the Swedish Lutheran Church. Married June 8, 1866, to Miss Ida J. Sandell, a native of Sweden, born August 22, 1845. They have two children - Helda Christine, now attending the academy at Lindsborg, and Peter E., deceased, and Carl Emel, an adopted son. Mr. S. was educated in Allsborg, Sweden, and after coming to America he attended school two years at Paxton, Ford Co., Ill., at Augustana College, graduating in 1867, since which time he has preached. Has built three churches and has one in contemplation at McPherson, Kas.

CASTLE TOWNSHIP.

S. C. ALEXANDER, dealer in general merchandise. He opened trade in November, 1880, and carries an average stock of $4,500. He first located northwest one-quarter Section 35, Castle Township, in March, 1874, and followed farming until he opened trade. Born in Greenville County, Canada, June 6, 1841, and raised in his native place. Went to Goshen, Ind., in 1860, and lived until twenty-one years old. Enlisted in 1863 in Company B, One Hundred and Seventy-six Illinois Volunteer Infantry. Transferred to the construction corps. Mustered out in May, 1865. Returned to Indiana and followed mechanics. Went to Missouri in 1872 and farmed until he came to Kansas. Married in 1867 to Miss Angie Shafer, a native of Ohio. They have three children, Mary J., Thomas R., and Ada G. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., of McPherson. Was elected Justice of the Peace in February, 1882, and has since held the office.

CHARLES M. CASE, dealer in drugs, paints, medicines, oils, and druggists' sundries. He opened trade October 1, 1882, and carries an average stock of $2,500. He first located on a farm in the eastern part of Rice County, in June, 1873, and followed agricultural pursuits until he opened the above business. Born in Woodstock, Windsor Co., Vt., February 4, 1843, and raised and educated in his native place until fifteen years old. Enlisted in the United States navy in 1860 as Master's Mate and participated in all the battles of his squadron on the coast at Hatteras Inlet, Port Royal, and Fernandina, Fla., Mosquito Inlet, and various others on the Potomac and Rappahannock rivers. Mustered out as Ensign in December, 1865. He then went to New York City and followed various kinds of business until he came to Kansas. Married in 1866 to Miss Lotta A. Johnson, of Franklin, Ct. He is a member of the Congregational Church of Staten Island, N. Y.

GEORGE E. GUBERNATOR, farmer, stock raiser and grain dealer, came to Laura, September 23, 1873, locating on a homestead on Section 30. He has 240 acres of land, 200 of which is cultivated. He opened the grain trade in August, 1880. Bought and shipped 150 car-loads of grain in the season of 1882. He erected the first house in Castle Township. He raised 870 bushels of wheat, on an average of twenty-six bushels to the acre. He was born in Adams County, Pa., March 26, 1833, and was raised on a farm. Moved in the spring of 1858 to Randolph County, Ill., where he engaged in milling and farming until 1865, when he moved to Christian County, Ill., and engaged in farming until he came to Kansas. He was married April 13, 1857, to Miss Anna M. Noel, of Adams County, Pa. They have nine children - Agnes L., Anna C., George McClellan, William H., Sarah E., Clara J., Emma J., Henry E. and Caroline E. They are members of the Catholic Church. He was the first Justice of the Peace, elected in 1874, and Township Trustee, elected in 1875 and 1876.

S. M. PRATZ, dealer in all kinds of grain and farmer's produce. Mr. Pratz opened the business in August, 1882, and up to December 17th of the same year bought and shipped 140 car-loads of grain. He first located, seven miles north of Abilene, Dickinson County, in the spring of 1875, and followed agricultural pursuits for some time, then came to his present place, and took a land claim. Farmed and followed carpenter trade until the opening of the above business. He was born in Peoria County, Ill., October 19, 1852, and lived there until he came to Kansas, completing his education in Abingdon College, Illinois. Is a Republican in politics.

C. C. WOODRUFF, farmer and stock-raiser, P. O. Laura, Section 7. He came to his present place in 1873; moved his family in the spring, 1874. He has 160 acres of fine land, 120 of which is cultivated. He was born in Ringgold County, Iowa, March 15, 1851, and raised on a farm; parents moved to Logan and Menard counties, Ill., and lived. He was married, 1874, to Miss Mary Smallwood, of Logan County, Ill. They have three children - Etta A., Oscar J., and Bertie. His wife is a member of the Christian Church. He is a Republican in politics.

GEORGE H. WOODRUFF, dealer in a general line of hardware, farm machinery, sewing machines, pumps, etc. He opened trade in September, 1880, and carries and average stock of $3,000. He first located on a homestead, near Laura, in September, 1873, where he followed farming until he opened the above business. He was born in Menard County, Ill., May 21, 1849. Was raised and educated in his native place. Was married in 1870 to Miss Flora E. Swallowood, Springfield, Ill. They have three children - Edith M., Jessie D., and Gertrude G. They are members of the Christian Church.

JACKSON TOWNSHIP.

J. N. MILLIKEN, dealer in general merchandise. He opened trade in Conway, in June, 1880; first came to the county in May, 1873, farmed until spring of 1878. He then engaged in the grocery business at McPherson until he opened trade at the present place. He carries an average stock of $2,500; also deals largely in grain, In the season of 1882, up to December 12, he bought and shipped over 125 car-loads of grain from Conway. Mr. Milliken was born in Decatur County, Ind., in 1839, was raised on a farm; his parents lived in St. Joseph County, Ind. He came to Davis County, Iowa, in 1857, lived there and in Missouri, and followed agricultural pursuits; enlisted in August, 1862, in Company B, Thirtieth Iowa Volunteer Infantry; participated in fifteen regular engagements; mustered out at Washington, D. C., June 5, 1865; was with Gen. William T. Sherman in all his marches; was married in 1859, to Miss America Fortune, of Davis County, Iowa. They have three children, James C., Mattie and Harry A. He is a member of I. O. O. F., K. of H. of McPherson; he has served as Justice of the Peace, is Postmaster of Conway.

G. W. STOCKHAM, dealer in general merchandise, drugs and medicines. He opened trade in 1880 and carries an average stock of $700. He located on Section 20 October, 1873, has been more or less engaged in agricultural pursuits since. He owns 1,060 acres of land, 500 of which are cultivated. He, in company with a brother, G. W. Stockham, deals largely in live stock and grain. During the season of 1882, up to December 12, they bought and shipped over 300 cars of grain from Conway Station. He was born in Sciota County, Ohio, in 1845; parents lived in Tennessee, Ohio, Kentucky and Iowa. He was raised a farmer and dealt in live stock in Iowa; is a member of the I. O. O. F. and K. of P. Married in 1868, to Miss Margaret Lister, of Indiana, then of Iowa. They have five children, Alice, Morris, Harry, Frankie and an infant son.

ALBERT F. WAUGH, homoeopathic physician, P. O. McPherson, Section 2. He came to McPherson County December 28, 1872, located on his place in the spring of 1873. There were only three families living in Jackson Township at that time. He owns 640 acres of land, 250 of which are cultivated. In 1882 he raised 1,100 bushels of wheat, an average of thirty-three bushels per acre. He was born in Loraine County, Ohio, October 17, 1837, where he lived until the spring of 1851, when his parents, with their family, moved to Sheboygan, Wis., where he was raised and educated. He began the study and practice of medicine in the latter place. He enlisted in August, 1861, in Company H, First Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, participated in all battles of his command until Perryville; wounded there October 8, 1862, and from its effects discharged April 1, 1863. Married in 1868, to Miss Laura Beeler, a native of Strasburg, France (now Germany). Born February 2, 1844, she came with her parents to America in 1854. They have three children, Frank A., Fannie E. and Mary L. He is a member of James B. McPherson Post, No. 87; elected Probate Judge in 1875 and served two years; was County Commissioner 1878079; has served as president of McPherson County Agricultural Society.

GROVELAND TOWNSHIP.

BECKER FOLSOM, a practical farmer, southeast quarter, Section 8, Township 20, Range 4 west, P. O. Westfield. He came to this place in April, 1872; his then nearest neighbor lived twelve miles away; his nearest markets were Salina on the northeast forty miles, and Newton, southeast, thirty-one miles away. He assisted to build the first house in Groveland Township; he has 640 acres of fine agricultural lands, 170 of which is cultivated. In 1882 there were 950 bushels of wheat raised on his place on forty acres, 1,000 bushels of corn on forty acres. He was born in Jefferson County, N. Y., November 24, 1830; lived there until seventeen years of age, when he went to Lapeer County, Mich., and engaged in farming and lumbering, and remained until March, 1872. He was married in 1852, to Miss Mary J. Amsden, a native of Batavia, N. Y. They have one son, Linden O. He is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Council A. F. & A. M. He was Assessor of his township in 1883. He is a Republican in politics. He is engaged in mining in Ouray County, southwest Colorado; he located the J. H. Haverly Golden Group Mines of southwest Colorado.

GEORGE GRAHAM, farmer and stock raiser and carpenter, P. O. McPherson, Section 3, Township 20, Range 4 west. He first came to his place in the spring of 1872. The country was entirely unsettled, his nearest grain market was Salina, forty miles away; buffalos [sic] and other wild animals were quite plenty. He was born in Steubenville, Ohio, in March 1827, he lived in his native State, where he followed farming and carpenter work until he came to Kansas. Enlisted in October, 1862, in Company G, One Hundred and Twenty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participating in all battles of his command; he was mustered out in September, 1865. Was married in 1851 to Miss Elizabeth Roberts, a native of Ohio. They have six children - Wayne, Mindwell, Hepsy, Alfred, Winn and Salome. He has been a member of the Masonic Order since 1851. Has served as Justice of the Peace two years.

JAMES SITTS, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. McPherson, Section 3, Township 20, Range 4 west. He came to his place in April, 1872, and took it as a soldier's homestead of 160 acres, 150 of which is cultivated. In 1882, he raised 2,300 bushels wheat on 80 acres of ground, and 600 bushels of corn on 35 acres. When he first came to Groveland Township the country was almost entirely unsettled, he plowed the first land in the township. He was born in Canada West, May 16,1844, lived there with parents until 1856, and they moved to Lapeer County, Mich., where he was raised on a farm. Enlisted in June, 1863, in Company E, Eighth Michigan Cavalry, participated in the battle of Nashville, Tenn., and mustered out in September, 1865. Married in April, 1865, to Miss Susan Ramsey. They had three children - William W., George H. and Frederick I. Wife died April 20, 1876. Again married June, 1878, to Mary E. Hart. They have two children, Mary B. and Orville. He is a member of the School Board District No. 41.

JOHN W. SITTS, farmer and stock raiser, Section 4, Township 20, Range 4 west, P. O. Westfield. He took his land as a soldier's homestead April 23, 1872, being among the first claims taken in the township. He helped to build the first house erected in Groveland Township for his father, Daniel Sitts, in the spring of 1872. He owns 400 acres of land and has 200 under cultivation. In 1882, he raised 1,300 bushels wheat on 60 acres ground, 1,200 bushels corn on 40 acres land. He was born near London, Canada West, June 26, 1846. Went to Lapeer County, Mich., with his parents in 1856, and farmed until he came to Kansas. Enlisted January 19, 1864, in Company E, Eighth Michigan Cavalry and transferred to Company D. He had a horse shot from under him and was captured, but soon escaped. He participated in all battles of his command, was mustered out October 21, 1865. Married in the fall of 1873, to Miss Hattie E. Hempstead, a native of Iowa. They have two children, Arthur C. and Ernest C. He and wife are members of Christian Church of Groveland Township. He has served as Justice of the Peace, Constable and Overseer of Highways, and is the present Treasurer of School District No. 41.

A. W. SMITH, farmer and stock raiser, northeast quarter Section 28, Township 20, Range 4 west, P. O. Groveland. He first came to his place in November, 1873, and took his place as a soldier's homestead, there were only three settlers between his place and McPherson at that time. He has 160 acres of land, 140 of which is cultivated. In 1882, he raised 1,800 bushels wheat on 60 acres ground, 800 bushels corn on 40 acres and 700 bushels oats on 14 acres land. He was born in Oxford County, Me., October 18, 1843, lived in native place until seventeen years old. Enlisted in October, 1861, in Company B, First Battalion, Nineteenth United States Infantry, and was Sergeant of his company. He participated in all general engagements of Army of Cumberland; taken prisoner September 20, 1863, at battle Chickamauga; confined in Libby, Danville and Andersonville prisons eighteen months, mustered out June 2, 1865. After army life he followed the coopers' trade in various portions of Pennsylvania four years, he then took charge of the Cambria Iron works as foreman until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1867 to Miss Virginia J. Berlin, of Adams County, Pa. They have five children - Frank S., Laura V., J. Wentworth, Jessie M. and Nellie. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Republican party. Represented McPherson County in Legislature, Kansas, sessions 1875 and 1877.

HAYES TOWNSHIP.

MORRIS S. BUCKMAN, farmer and stock raiser, west half Section 14, Township 20, Range 5, west, P. O. Monitor, has 320 acres of fine agricultural lands, seventy acres of which is cultivated and forty-five acres timber. In 1882 he raised 1,500 bushels of wheat on fifty acres; 900 bushels of corn on forty acres. He came to this place in July, 1873; was Postmaster at Monitor form December, 1874, until March, 1883; has been clerk of his School District for the past four years. He was born in Lee Co., Ill., September 23, 1850. His parents moved to Leelenaw County, Mich., in 1854, where, in the Grand Traverse Region, he was raised and lived until he came to Kansas. Married in February, 1881, to Miss Frances Derbyshire, who was born in Philadelphia, Pa., July 12, 1863. They have one daughter - Ruby M., born December 21, 1882.

DAVID MITCHELL, farmer and stock raiser, Section 11, Township 20, Range 5, west, P. O. Monitor, has 800 acres of land, 360 of which is cultivated. He came to his place October 10, 1879; makes a specialty of dairying. His place is known as the Holstein Dairy Farm. He keeps the full-blood imported Holstein cattle, and grades of the same breed. In the season of 1882 they manufactured 3,000 pounds of butter; marketed their product in Colorado at a net of twenty-five cents per pound. He was born in Scotland, December 3, 1832; came to America in 1850, residing in New York State three years and Illinois twenty-six years. Was married in 1850 to Miss Jane B. Barr, a native of Scotland. They have four daughters and one son - Agnes M., Ellen F., married to Mr. V. E. Phillips, of McPherson; Jane B., married to Joseph Kee, and farming Section 4, Hayes Township; David Mitchell, married and farming Section 3, same township, and Bella at home. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. He is School Trustee and Justice of the Peace.

T. S. REDFERN, farmer and stock raiser, Section 12, Township 20, Range 5, west, P. O. Monitor, was born in England June 28, 1835, and came to this country with his parents in 1842. Came to this place in July, 1873, and owns 160 acres of fine agricultural land, 120 of which is under cultivation. In 1882 he raised eleven tons of broom corn on sixty acres of land; about 2,000 bushels of corn from forty acres. His nearest market in 1873 was Hutchinson, a distance of twenty-four miles. He was married in 1857 and again in 1864, and has ten children. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and of the I. O. O. F. Our subject has had three failures of crops, and was obliged to go away to work several times, but is now very comfortably situated.

E. G. STOWE, farmer and stock raiser, and agent for Kansas Protective Life Insurance Company, P. O. Monitor, came to his place in July, 1872; moved family in January following. Has 160 acres of land, 120 of which is cultivated, In 1882 he raised 920 bushels of wheat on thirty-five acres of land; 1,100 bushels of corn on fifty acres. He was born in Steuben County, N. Y., April 7, 1838; lived in his native State until seventeen years old, when he moved to Grundy County, Iowa, where he followed agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas. Enlisted in September, 1863, in Co. K. Fifteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry; participated in all battles of his command; mustered out in August, 1864. Married in 1861 to Miss Minerva A. Epperson, of Montgomery County, Ind. Born February 21, 1840. They have six children - Charles E., Frank E., Fred B., Clarence V. (Henry H., deceased), George J. and John V. D. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of James B. McPherson Post, No. 87. He has served as Justice of the Peace and School Director six years.

TURKEY CREEK TOWNSHIP.

SAMUEL BATY, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Lake View, Section 12. He has 160 acres of land, 120 of which is cultivated. He came to his present home in fall of 1872, where he has farmed since. He was born in Lancaster County, Pa., June 7, 1833. They moved to Alexander, Mo., where they lived some time. His father was a cooper and iron moulder [sic]. Samuel Baty enlisted, summer 1861, in Company I, Eighteenth Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and was made Orderly Sergeant, and participated in all the battles of his command; taken prisoner at battle of Shiloh, and confined from April 6th until August 1st. Paroled at Macon, Ga., and afterward joined his regiment and participated in all battles of the command, Seventeenth Army Corps under Gen. Wm. T. Sherman. Mustered out at Louisville, Ky., summer 1865. Married, 1855, to Miss Dorinda Squires, of Detroit, Mich. They have two children - George and Grant.

A. M. SMITH, farmer and stock raiser, Section 14, P. O. Lake View. He has 200 acres of land, 100 of which are cultivated. In 1882 he raised 1,700 bushels of wheat on sixty-two acres. He came to this place in May, 1871, and has served as Township Treasurer two years and Township Trustee four years. He was born in Elgin County, Canada, May 30, 1842; lived on a farm with his parents until seventeen years old, then learned the cooper trade. He enlisted November 29, 1864, in Company B, Ninety-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of Nashville, Tenn., and Spanish Fort, Ala. Was mustered out in the fall of 1865. He is a member of the James B. McPherson Post No. 87, G. A. R. Married, in 1874, to Miss Agnes J. Sensor, of Byron, Ogie County, Ill. They have three sons - Alvin Ross, Ambrose C. and Allen W.

C. A. WING, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Sparta, Section 22. He owns 400 acres of land, 180 under cultivation. He raised 1,700 bushels of wheat in 1882, an average of twenty-five bushels per acre. He came to this place in spring of 1876. Born in Saratoga County, N. Y., December 22, 1841, and was raised on a farm. He spent several years in California, Montana and Colorado, mining and freighting. Married, 1868, to Miss Sarah J. Smith, a native of Canada, West. They have four children - Charles H., Herbert, George and Henrietta A. First three born in Iowa, and the latter in Kansas. He has served as Township Trustee and Justice of the Peace, and several minor offices.

SUPERIOR TOWNSHIP.

NEWTON W. BRIDGERS, Section 3, Township 21, Range 4 west, P. O. Superior. He came to this place in March, 1878. He has 160 acres of land, 420 of which are cultivated. In 1883 he raised 1,800 bushels of wheat on fifty-two acres land; 1,000 bushels corn on thirty-seven acres. He was born in Clinton County, Pa., August 20, 1849, and was raised a farmer. Went to Kendall County, Ill., 1868, and followed farming until he came to Kansas. Married, 1874, to Miss Jennette I. Dunn, of the latter county, Illinois, born Oct. 9, 1854. They have two children - John F. and Kuhamah I. They are members Methodist Episcopal Church. Republican in politics.

GEORGE W. EAKINS, farmer and stock raiser, north half Section 4, Township 21, Range 4, west, P. O. Superior, has 309 acres of land, 210 of which are cultivated. In 1882, he raised 2,690 bushels of wheat on ninety-two acres of land; 1,400 bushels of corn on forty-two acres of ground. He first came to his place in October, 1873. The county was then only sparsely settled; Hutchinson was his nearest market. He was born in Green County, Tenn., July 20, 1847, and was raised in Lewis County, northeast Missouri, going there with parents in 1849, where he followed agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas. Enlisted in February, 1863, in Company G, Second Illinois Cavalry. Participated in all battles of his command; mustered out December 22, 1865. Was married in 1868, to Miss Sarah C. Thomas, of Keokuk, Iowa. They have eight children - John T., William J., Millard R., George P., Lucy M., Mary E., James B. and Fannie R. He is a member of James B. McPherson Post, No. 87, G. A. R., and the Kansas Anti- Horse Thief Association.

JAMES A. EAKINS, farmer and stock raiser, southeast quarter Section 4, north half northeast quarter Section 9, west half southeast quarter Section 3, P. O. Superior, 320 acres of land, 175 of which are cultivated. In 1882, he raised 1,500 bushels of wheat on fifty acres; 600 bushels of corn on thirty-five acres. He came to his place in May, 1873, and opened his farm. He was born in Green County, Tenn., May 30, 1846; parents, with family, moved to Lewis County, Mo., in 1852, where he was raised on a farm, and lived there until he came to Kansas. Married in 1871, to Miss Rebecca Graves, of Lewis County, Mo. They have six children - Annie S., Sarah E., John S., George A., Lydia L. and Nannie E. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He enlisted in February, 1864, in Company D, Third Iowa Cavalry, and participated in all battles of his command, and mustered out in July, 1865. He afterward farmed until he came to Kansas. He took charge of the Superior postoffice April 1, 1875, and since served as Postmaster. Has served as Justice of the Peace two terms, Township Assessor two terms, Census Enumerator in 1880. Is a Republican in politics.

C. O. LUTY, farmer and stock raiser, Section 10, Township 21, Range 4 west, P. O. Superior. He first located in Wabaunsee County, Kan., in the spring of 1870, and engaged in stock raising, buying and shipping. Came to his place in the fall of 1874. Moved his family in 1875. Has 320 acres of land, 150 of which is cultivated. In 1882, he raised 1,700 bushels of wheat on sixty-four acres of ground; 1,200 bushels of corn on sixty-five acres. He was born in Allegheny County, Penn., September 26, 1846, and was raised in Allegheny City. He enlisted November 14, 1861, in Company B, Sixty-first Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all battles of his command in the army of the Potomac; mustered out November 14, 1864. Married in 1870, to Miss Margaret E. Radcliffe, a native of Allegheny City, born May 17, 1848. They have four children - Frank H., George H., Charles O. and Millicent R. They were originally Presbyterians, but now members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has served as Justice of the Peace, Township Treasurer, and has been a member of School Board for years. Republican in politics.

LITTLE VALLEY TOWNSHIP.

WARREN L. BAIR, farmer and stock raiser, southwest quarter Section 14, and southeast of Section 15, Township 21, Range 5 west, P. O. Hutchinson, 320 acres. He came to his place September 4, 1872, being among the first settlers in the township. He has served several terms as Township Trustee and Assessor of his township. John Bair has south half of southeast quarter of Section 10. He came to his place with his mother and the family in April, 1875. They have 125 head of cattle on their farms. Mrs. Mary E. Bair, mother of Warren and John Bair, has northwest quarter of Section 14. In 1882, they raised 1,350 bushels of wheat on fifty acres; 1,875 bushels of corn on 125 acres. Mrs. Bair is a native of Summit County, Ohio, and was born in 1830. Abraham Bair, the husband and father was born in Stark County, Ohio, in 1833. He was a farmer, teacher and merchant. They were married in 1848; her maiden name was Mary Haun. They had five sons and one daughter - Warren L., John W., Edward E., Frank L., Abraham J. and Mary E., who is an active and progressive school teacher of McPherson County. They are members of the German Reform Church of Ohio. Mr. Abraham Bair, the father, died in Will County, Ill., in 1862.

[TOC] [part 8] [Cutler's History]