|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Beattie is located on the west branch of the Vermillion, and one hundred miles west of the Missouri River, on the line of the St. Joseph and Western Railway. Located as it is, in the very heart of the best and most fertile body of land in Northern Kansas, it has advantages for the building up of a city. At this place are located the celebrated Beattie quarries, said to be the finest in the State of Kansas or Nebraska.
Settlement. -- Prior to 1865, Hugh Hamilton, H. C. Smith, Eli Goldsberry, E. Cain, J. Totten, G. Thorne, James Fitzgerald, P. Jones and others settled near what is now known at Beattie. The town was laid out in June, 1870, by the Northern Kansas Land and Town Company, of St. Joseph, Missouri, on land owned by James Fitzgerald and J. T. Watkins. The original town site, consisting of 160 acres, was well chosen, and named Beattie in Honor of Hon. A. Beattie, then Mayor of St. Joe., Missouri. H. M. Newton, James McElroy, R. Shields, J. J. Sheldon, were among the first to settle in the place.
Early Events. -- The postoffice was established in 1871, with J. J. Sheldon as postmaster. He was succeeded by A. J. Patterson, A. J. Brunswig, and the present incumbent, H. C. Smith. Among the first buildings moved on the town site was the depot -- a building that was moved from Elmwood, Doniphan County -- in the spring of 1871. J. J. Sheldon, about the same time, moved a building on the town site and used it as a dwelling. The next building as built on the town site by John Watkins. Messrs. A. J. and L. Brunswig opened the first store, in the spring of 1872. The first hotel was built by ----- Putcamp, in 1873, and called the Sherman House. The first marriage ceremony was performed in 1872 by Dr. J. J. Sheldon, Justice of the Peace; the contracting parties being S. M. and Charles Kieper, who married two daughters of Carol Scholtz. The first birth was that of Beattie -- named in honor of the town -- son of H. M. Newton, August 3, 1871. A child of a Mrs. Mahoney died some time in 1873, which was the first death in town.
Churches. -- The Catholic Church at Beattie was first organized at Guittard station in 1866, by Rev. Father Fitzgerald, with eight families. The following pastors have had charge of the church: Reverend Fathers Fitzgerald, Neakman, Eugene, Goth, Bonifice, Zuber, Fitzgerald, and Rev. Father Daley, the present pastor. A church edifice 33x73 feet, was built in 1881, at Beattie, at a cost of $3,000. Present number of families included in the organization, forty-seven.
An organization of the Methodist Episcopal Church was consummated at Beattie in the spring of 1876, by Rev. A. J. Coe, with seven members, as follows: T. C. Byrum, Mrs. Byrum, Mary Sheldon, Lizzie Sweet, Phoebe Byrum, Julia Brown and Mrs. A. J. Coe. Rev. A. J. Coe served the church one year; J. H. Lord, three months; M. Belknap, nine months; F. F. Otto, three years. Rev. D. J. Crooks, the present pastor, took charge of the church in March, 1881. A frame edifice 26x45 feet, was erected in 1881, at an expense of $1,400. Present membership, thirty-nine.
An organization of the Baptist Church was perfected in 1874, by Rev. J. C. Newton, with six members. Services are held in the Methodist Church, Rev. J. C. Newton still retaining charge of the organization. Present membership, sixteen.
School district No. 29 was organized in 1868. A log schoolhouse was built at a cost of $500, during the same year. Charles Pritchard taught the first term of school in said building. He was succeeded by the following in the order mentioned: Misses C. J. Sheldon, Ruth Barrett, Mary Hamilton and H. P. Buck. At this time -- 1871 -- a new stone schoolhouse, 28x48 feet, was erected at Beattie, at a cost of $7,000. H. P. Buck was succeeded by C. Mattleson, who taught the first term in the new school building. Mattleson was succeeded by the following, in the order mentioned: J. M. Blair, Rev. E. Barber, F. W. Parsons, Mrs. F. W. Parsons, L. F. Fuller, Misses Florence Patterson, Ida Newton, Albert L. Perry and Miss Georgiana Patterson.
Chase Post, No. 101, G. A. R., was organized under a charter July 27, 1882, with sixteen members. The following officers were elected: Dr. J. J. Sheldon, P. C.; J. Johnson, S. V. C.; H. H. Helverin, J. V. C.; William Schiller, Q. M.; H. C. Smith, Surgeon; John Crabb, Chaplain; J. V. Schleigh, O. D.; W. C. Thompson, O. G.; S. Willis, Adj.; N. V. Culover, Q. M. S.; M. A. Tucker, S. M. Regular meetings are held on the first and third Saturday evenings of each month.
A steam elevator 24x60, 30 feet high, was built in 1873, by Messrs. Brunswig & Baer, at a cost of $2,000. In 1880-81, the elevator was remodeled at an expense of $4,000. Its capacity under its present managers, Brunswig & Baer, is 15,000 bushels. The elevator his run by a fifteen horsepower engine, and has a corn sheller attachment with a capacity of 5,000 bushels per day.
A. J. BRUNSWIG & CO. -- A. J. was born in France, October 17, 1852. He came to America, September 24, 1867, and first located at Atchison, Kansas, October 6, 1867, and September 8, 1871, came to Beattie, Marshall County, Kan., and engaged in the general merchandise business. They built a stone block, two stories high; also have a nice frame building stocked with furniture, 20x60, and carry a stock of goods valued at $25,000. The above firm also owns a steam elevator, with a capacity of 20,000 bushels.
H. C. SMITH was born in Gardner, Maine, July 31, 1834. Moved from above place to Ohio, thence back to Maine; then back to Cleveland, Ohio, and entered Baldwin University in years 1855, '56, '57. He enlisted in the United States Army in April, 1861, in Company C, Third Maine Infantry. He was wounded in the battle of Fair Oaks in 1862, and was discharged October 25, 1862. Mr. Smith first went to Kansas in 1857, and remained until 1860; and after being in the United States Army, returned to Marshall County, Kan. In 1864 was appointed postmaster at Beattie, October, 1879, and has held this office ever since. He was married in 1865 to Mina Hamilton, and has three children -- L. L., R. F. and Harry.
N. BROOKS, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in 1828 in Madison, Jefferson County, Ind., and grew up in that State a farmer, and later followed milling fourteen years in Hamilton County, Ind. In the fall of 1863 he enlisted in the Seventy-fifth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, helped pursue John Morgan a few months, and was honorably discharged for sickness and disability. He engaged in farming in Hancock County, Ind., until March, 1877, when he came to Kansas, settling where he now lives. Has a good farm, eighty acres well fitted up with substantial improvements. His wife was Julia A. Barnes, of Hamilton County, Ind., and they have four children -- Wm. A., Clara, Elmer and Frank, who was born in Hancock County, Ind., while the elder three were born in Hamilton County, Ind.
THOMAS CUNNINGHAM, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born June 18, 1830, in Cocke County, Tenn. In 1840, his father, John, with his wife and ten children, settled in Platte County, Mo., where he was reared. At twenty-four he located on a farm of his own in DeKalb County, Mo., and married Margaret Henry, a native of Cooper County, Mo. In 1861 he enlisted as a private in the State Militia, and during the rebellion of 1861-'65, was several times called into the field to repel bushwhacking invasions. After trying Fremont County, Iowa, and Gentry and Worth Counties, Mo., he came to Kansas, made, and later abandoned a claim in Graham County, and finally bought one in Rock Township, where he now lives. Mr. Cunningham and wife united with the Baptist Church in 1864. They have eight children -- Francis R., Aldophena, John, Benjamin, Elizabeth, Martha, Mary and Aaron. For many years past Mr. Cunningham has been a very successful grower of broom corn and manufacturer of brooms.
Z. E. EWING, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in Baltimore County, Md., October 24, 1826, and lived thirty-four years in Baltimore County and City. In 1860 he located in Whartonsburg, Ohio, thence removed to Hancock County, Ohio. He married in June, 1851, in Baltimore, her native city, Matilda Creager, and they have nine children -- Margaret A., born in Baltimore; Sarah, Elizabeth and Jane, born in Texas, Baltimore County, Md.; Wm. J., born in Whartonsburg, O.; Alice J., Lovi I., Henry Z. and Charles, born in Hancock County, Ohio. Mr. Ewing brought his family to Kansas in October, 1869. Three teams, household goods and $1,200 comprised his positions, and his first permanent location was where we now find him. His farm comprises 160 acres fenced with hedge, an orchard of 150 trees, a stone house, stables, etc., and all needed teams and implements for modern farming.
WILLIAM A SUTTON, farmer, P. O. Beattie, was born 1834, in Chippewa County, Wis. Soon after his parents removed to McHenry County, Ill., thence to Floyd County, Iowa, and thence, in 1859, to Kansas. At this time the worldly effects of the family, comprising parents and five children, were drawn in a wagon, and their means, very limited, were consumed during 1860 or the "bad year." W. A. Sutton enlisted in 1862 in the Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, Company D, and served with that grand regiment of fighting patriots until Appomattox decided the fate of the rebeldom. Since the war, Mr. Sutton has lived quietly as a Kansas farmer, following his threshing machine for about nine years. He is a member of Chase Post No. 101, of Beattie, has been J. P. four years, and can rightfully be looked upon as one of the substantial early settlers of Rock Township. He married in 1870 Miss Julia A. Life, whose father, Martin Life, was a settler of 1858 in Rock Township. Mr. and Mrs. Sutton have five children -- Henry B., Marry E., Edward, Melissa and Wm. A.
JOSHUA HOWE, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born 1832, in Delaware County, Ohio. Eight years later his parents, Aaron and Sarah Howe, removed to Knox county, Ill., thence in 1864, to Bedford Iowa, where his mother died and father yet resides. Joshua Howe came to Kansas in May, 1861, and rented a farm west of Frankfort. He finally secured a farm of his own, and is now prospering in spite of the dread effects of the cyclone of 1879, which utterly destroyed his home, killed his only son and badly injured his wife. Misses Joan Howe, Ida Osborn and Mr. J. T. Vaughn were in the house and escaped injury, with the exception of Miss Howe, who sustained slight bruises. Mr. Howe himself was saved by clinging desperately to a small tree in his orchard, but his son, John A. Howe, was blown over the orchard and killed instantly; all farm implements, wagons, etc., were blown away and wrecked, and but little save the bare land left to Mr. Howe, whose energetic spirit at once led to his rebuilding and final success.
J. B. McCONCHIE, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in 1837, in Kirkenbreitshire, Scotland. He came in 1853 to America and located in Illinois. In 1862 he enlisted from Knox County, Ill., in Company I, One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry as a private, and served during the entire rebellion. His regiment was first employed in guarding Kentucky and Tennessee railroads, and in 1864 joined Gen. Sherman at Resaca, Ga., taking part in the great battle at that point. Thereafter, for eleven days, the regiment was under an almost continuous fire, then came the battles of Dallas, Kenesaw Mt., Peach Tree Creek, and the desperate battles about Atlanta, in all of which he was engaged. Marching with Sherman to the sea, Mr. McConchie's company was detached at foragers, and for many days the brave fellows were "corralled" on an island in the Savannah River, with the forces of rebel cavalry all about them. The One Hundred and Second Illinois was the first of Sherman's regiments to enter South Carolina, and made a good record through to the surrender of Johnston and the collapse of the rebellion. Returning to Knox County, Ill., Mr. McConchie brought his wife out to Kansas in August, 1866. They lived in Home Township, Nemaha County, and from there came to the farm on which they now live. Mr. McConchie has a prosperous record to show as regards Kansas. His farm comprises 240 acres, well improved and fenced, 1,000 peach and 200 apple trees, etc. They have eight children -- William, Mary, Grant, John, Hattie, George, Edwin and Jennie. Frederick, the eldest son died, October 25, 1879, aged 21.
GEORGE N. MORSE, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in 1844 in Troy, N. Y. Lived there until the age of fourteen, when he went with his father, J. M. Morse, and the family to Knox County, Ill. From Illinois he came to Kansas in August, 1866 homesteading his present farm. There was then but one or two houses between him and Marysville, and many a horseback chase he had after deer and wolf over the present site of Frankfort. He was one of the first to settler on the high prairie, and for a few years worked land for others, in order to get a start upon his own, and also followed house painting, etc. To-day we find him in a house of his own, consisting of seven rooms, on a well fenced and cultivated farm. He has one of the finest maple groves in Marshall County and a thrifty young orchard. His wife, married February 14, 1867, was a daughter of Robert Osborn, a substantial farmer near Frankfort. They have four children, all born on the Kansas farm.
JOSEPH GREENLEAF, farmer, P. O. Reedsville; was born in 1844, in Onondaga County, N. Y. His parents settled two years later in Calhoun County, Mich., where he grew to manhood, and enlisted in 1864 in the Seventh Michigan Cavalry. His service was in the Shenandoah Valley, and the battles of Cedar Creek and Five Forks. His horse having been show he was detailed for hospital duty, and served in Burkeville Station until near the close of the Rebellion. From 1865 to 1869 he lived in Michigan, then came to Kansas, and settled a year later on his present farm. Me. Greenleaf has his farm in a good state of improvement and cultivation. His wife was Annie Hawkins, married June 28, 1876, and their three children, Mary A., Frank and Elizabeth, were all born on the Marshall County farm. Mr. Greenleaf is a stalwart Republican in politics, and a stirring well-to-do farmer.
ISAAC N. MARSHALL, farmer, P. O. Wells, was born May 16, 1848, in Guernsey County, Ohio, and reared in Hocking and Benton counties. He enlisted September 2, 1864, in the Union army, and was assigned to the Eleventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry; served under Gens. Sherman and Thomas, and participated in the desperately decisive battle of Nashville; was then transferred from Alexandria, Va., by water to Moorhead City, N. C., and to Sherman's army at Goldsboro. After the war he spent the summer of 1865 in Cass County, Mo., then resided a farmer in Fort Madison, Iowa, until the settlement of Kansas. Mr. Marshall is unmarried; is in religion a Methodist, and in politics a Republican.
JOHN MASSEY, farmer, P. O. Marysville, is a native of County Armagh, Ireland, born in 1839. His parents, James and Jane (Alderdice) Massey, emigrated to America and settled in Adams County, Ohio in 1848. From 1851 to 1868 he resided in Mercer County, Ohio; then came to Kansas, took a claim on Osage County, and engaged in the lumber business sawing out thousands of feet of United States timber, and thus secured a start in a small way. In July, 1869, he married Miss Sarah A. Allen, daughter of O. C. Allen, then the Central Branch land agent, and settled on his present farm bought of Major Jones, who had built an excuse for a house. In this old house Mr. Massey lived until his 160 acre farm was developed in the best state of improvement, and means secured to build just such a house as he had fixed upon, resulting in the erection of one of the best in Marshall County. It is two-stories, 20x30 with an L addition 16x18, the whole finished, fitted up, and painted in the best modern style, with ornamental porticos, verandas, windows, etc., rarely seen on a Kansas farm. In connection he has a well, so arranged as to supply his dairy and mild house, under which he has an excellent cellar. Mr. Massey served 100 days in the One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry during the Rebellion. His father died in Center Township in 1880, aged eighty-two, and his mother still survives at the age of seventy-eight. Mr. and Mrs. Massey have seven children -- Alberta, Mary B., Lillie M. and Minnie E. (twins); Julia, Jennie and Jessie, all born on the Centre farm. The only son died an infant. Mr. Massey has always been a Republican in political faith, and is rightfully looked upon as one of the most successful and enterprising farmers in the county.
CHARLES SATTERFIELD, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in 1830, in Locust Grove, Adams Co., Ohio, and raised a farmer. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the First Ohio Heavy Artillery; served in West Virginia, and helped build forts at Covington, Ky. He was then sent with part of the Battery to Johnson's Isle, Lake Erie, to guard against a suspected invasion from Canada. Spent another year guarding Covington, and at the end of the Rebellion located on a farm in his native county, where he lived until November, 1875, when he came to Centre, Marshall County, Kan. Was two years a renter, then bought his present eighty acre farm, where he has a good house, granary, stock lots, etc., and forty acres in cultivation. His wife was Christina Kesling, of Highland County, Ohio, and they have four children, born in Adams County, Ohio, viz. -- Emma E., Alice, George W., and Sara V., and two -- John N. and Ida L., born in Centre Township. Mr. Satterfield is a Democrat.