|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Frankfort, the third city in size, in a business point of view, is located in the south-central part of the county on a beautiful slope stretching back from the Vermilion, eighty-seven miles on an air line from Marysville, the county-seat. Situated in the didst of what is acknowledged as the riches agricultural part of the county, and surrounded by a wealthy class of farmers, it has advantages possessed by few towns in the county.
SETTLEMENT OF THE VERMILLION VALLEY.
The following notes of the early settlement of the Vermillion Valley, were furnished us by an old settler in that region. At the risk of some slight repetitions, since some of the individuals here mentioned have been alluded to in the general history, we reproduce it here as given:
In 1855 came the first settlers in the Valley of the Black Vermillion. One of them was Louis Tremble, a Frenchman, who had married a Sioux squaw, and who had been driven from the Rocky Mountains in accordance with an order of General Harney, expelling everyone of that nationality. In the fall of that year he operated a puncheon toll bridge across the Vermillion River, at the old Mormon or Hollenberg crossing. Mr. Changreau, another French settler, had also a Sioux wife. John D. Wells, present Representative of the Fifty-fifth District, arrived during the early part of 1855. Daniel M. Leavitt, still a resident of this county; Henry Hollenberg, a German, the father of Washington County, now buried in the Atlantic; Frederic, Henry and Hans Brockmeyer, now of the above named county; Soren Jason, now in California; and Dr. Ackerman and family, all settled on the east fork in 1855. Joseph Langdon and family also settled near the mouth of the Vermilion in the fall of 1855, as did Thomas Warren and family, whose location was on Section 31, Town 4, Range 9. Among the early settlers of 1856 were Captain S. B. Todd, of Pittsburg, Pa., since of Frankfort, Kan.; Dr. William Blackburn, now in Ohio; John McKibbins, now of Westmoreland, Kan. The inciting cause of the coming of this party was the speeches made, late in 1855, in Appolion Hall, Pittsburg, by Horace Greeley, S. N. Wood and a well known Senator of Michigan, on the subject of "Kansas." Captain Todd and fifteen others enlisted that night to come to Kansas as Free-state voters and settlers. Within a few weeks they were joined by about twenty-five others. The party of forty left Pittsburg for Kansas, April 1, 1856. Under the auspices of the Massachusetts Free-state Emigrant Society, they arrived in Kansas City, and from there scattered over the State. Captain Todd and his companions arrived on the Black Vermillion, April 19, 1856. Later in that year the few settlers of the Ohio Colony Company came to this valley. A surveyor named Johnson, accompanied by A. G. Barrett, now County Treasurer of Marshall County; John Roland, Hon. D. C. Ault and others came to this valley in May, 1855, and laid off a tract of land, 5x8 miles, called the Ohio Colony Survey. They also platted "Ohio City" on the northwest quarter of Section 31, Town 4, Range 9. It is now a farm. Each member of the colony paid into the general fund $25 for every quarter section he desired to secure, the money to be used in the purchase of a steam saw-mill. The mill was bought by A. G. Barrett, as agent of the colony, and brought out in the fall of 1855. This location, is still known as Barrett Station, formerly as Barrett's Mills. The Ohio colony came to naught, as no books, papers or accounts were ever sent to Kansas, and but a few of the members ever came. Mr. Barrett bought and for many years owned the saw-mill, which is still running, though the old boiler and engine were disposed of and transported to Cloyed, Kan. Although Messrs. Barrett and Roland built log houses on the west fork of the Vermillion in 1855, they did not live in them until after Mr. Todd had built his in May, 1856. He therefore, must be considered the first settler on the West Fork, and his son, William H., born August 13, 1856 is, perhaps, the first male white child born in Marshall County. Among those who settled on the Vermillion in 1856, were the Hon. A. G. Barrett and family, Hon. D. C. Ault and family, Isaac Walker and family, H. W. Swift, a bachelor and first Postmaster at Barrett postoffice; John Radcliffe and family, the two brothers Frame and their families, the Shirk family, also Enoch Pugh, the first blacksmith (who died there about 1857), and others whose names are not now recalled. Other early settlers who may be mentioned are: W. H. Wilson, then a bachelor, who came in May, 1856; James Wilson and family, and W. T. Grinnell, in 1857; J. Burrell and family in April, 1858, and Peter Trosper and family in 1859. Mr. Auld was the first Justice of the Peace, and M. V. Hall and Miss Ann J. Trosper, were the first couple married by that.
In August, 1856, Timothy Clark and Judy North, were married at the house of James Smith, by Squire Ault. James and Samuel Smith settled in the fall of 1855. James is now in Missouri, and Samuel died a few years ago. Ellis Meyers came in the spring of 1856, and froze to death in a terrible snow storm which raged during the winter of 1856 and 1857. John Harris and family, now residing in Osage County, Kan., came in 1856. Lawrence Kelly and family came during the same year. Mr. Kelly is dead. James P. Malone and family came also during that same year. He is now a Catholic missionary in Wabaunsee County. James Goldsberry and family came in 1856, and also Me. Musgrave and family, who still reside in the county. Alexander Moore and family came from Ohio. He is now a resident of Illinois. Mr. Fletcher and family came during 1856, but he died in the fall of that year. His family left the country after a few years.
HISTORY OF THE CITY.
In 1867, the Frankfort Town Company was organized at Marysville with the following members: F. Schmidt, C. F. Koester, J. S. Magill, John McCoy, P. H. Peters, John Bollinger, Perry Hutchinson, J. Weisbach, R. S. Newell and J. E. Smith. In August, of the same year, the company purchased Section 16, Township 4, Range 9, and laid out a town site, which was originally called Frank's Ford, but soon adopted its present continental appellation. On consideration of receiving a station, depot and side-track, the town company gave the Central Branch Railroad Company one-half of the town site.
The railroad reached Frankfort in October, 1867, and in the fall of the same year the depot was erected. The first houses were built that year by J. S. Magill, R. S. Newell and Frank Schmidt. O. C. Horr established the first store in December, 1867. In 1868, seven buildings were erected, among them being two business houses by Jacob Weisbach and O. C. Horr. The next year, 1869, showed a marked increase in the building operations, as there were fifty-four good substantial buildings erected, among which was one of the largest hotels in the county, at that time. Since that time the town has made steady progress.
In April, 1869, occurred the death of an infant daughter of O. C. Horr. Of this child it may be stated as being the first birth, a few months previous. The next birth was a child of Jacob Weisbach, born in the fall of the same year.
A serious affray occurred in Frankfort August 14, 1869, in which one of the oldest and most respected citizens, James Vaugham, was shot by a questionable character named Gus Quarles. It appears there had been for some time previous to the shooting, an antagonistic feeling between the two parties -- Quarles having circulated the report that Vaugham was a bushwhacker and had served with Quantrell during his raids. On the day of the shooting, Quarles, who had been hunting, stopped in Jacob Weisbach's store, where he met Vaugham, who desired an explanation in regard to the report circulated by Quarles. Quarles did not deny what he had said, and from this an excited altercation arose, in the midst of which Quarles raised his gun and placing the muzzle within three feet of his victim, fired, the charge taking effect in the arm and side of Vaugham. As the wounded man did not fall Quarles immediately jumped on his horse and left for parts unknown. It was afterwards ascertained that he had gone to Missouri, where he soon after died. Mr. Vaugham finally recovered from his wounds and is still a resident of the place.
In response to a petition signed by a majority of the legal voters of the town or Frankfort, a charter was granted July 24, 1875, and the town was incorporated as a city of the third class. The first city election was held August 10, 1875. The official roster is as follows:
Councilmen. -- 1875, E. Brady, I. C. Legere, J. Marksman, W. Schmicker, F. B. Taylor, Sr.; 1876, I. C. Legere, P. C. Garvin, F. B. Taylor, Sr., J. Weisbach; 1877, P. C. Garvin, J. Gano, J. Marksman, J. Weisbach, J. L. Davis; 1878, F. B. Taylor, Jr., W. Ross, M. L. Moor, G. H. Rexford, J. Brown; 1879, T. F. Rhodes, W. Ross, J. Marshall, B. W. Coffland, F. B. Taylor, Jr.; 1880, J. Weston, L. V. McKee, W. Ross, g. H. Francis, J. Weisbach; 1881, T. J. Snodgrass, P. Spelman, F. B. Taylor, Jr., M. N. Haskins, J. W. Bartlett; 1882, W. Ross, M. N. Haskins, M. McKeon, A. H. Post, F. B. Taylor, Jr.
Schools. -- School district N. 35, was organized in March, 1869, at the house of O. C. Horr. At the first election held, W. Trosper was elected Director; J. Weisbach, Treasurer, and R. S. Newell, Clerk. In the spring of 1870, bonds to the amount of $1,600 were issued, and a frame school building, 24x40 feet, was erected. This building was used until 1880, when it was sold and is now used as a private residence. During the same year a new edifice built of limestone, was completed at a cost of $4,000. In 1874, an addition was made to the main building, and is used for primary purposes.
The following teachers, in the order mentioned, have had charge of the Frankfort Public Schools, from 1870 up to the present time: D. F. Nichols, T. Greenman, Miss M. Dexter, W. Barnett. C. Jackson, H. A. Day, E. R. Faulkner, Miss L. Gano, E. R. Faulkner, Miss J. Faulkner, J. W. Quay, E. R. Faulkner.
Methodist Episcopal. -- In the spring of 1869 religious services were held by the Methodist persuasion, in the railroad depot, and a church organization was perfected, with J. S. Kelly and wife, Jessie L. Hopkins, Mrs. H. K. Hopkins, and a few others as first members. Rev. S. M. Hopkins was their first pastor, and was succeeded in March, 1871, by Rev. T. B. Greely. Rev. Mr. Greely was succeeded in order mentioned by Rev. Messrs. McKee, Knite, Zimmerman, Baythifs(sp?), Koester and S. L. Hunter, the present incumbent.
Services were held in the schoolhouse in 1870, and until a church edifice was built public halls were used. The foundations for a church building were laid in 1870, but nothing more was done until 1881, when a church edifice, 30x50 feet, was completed at a cost of $2,000. Present membership, fifty.
The Presbyterian Church at Frankfort was organized under the supervision of Rev. Timothy Hill, with the following members: I. Greenman and wife, S. B. Todd and wife, Mrs. Mary Strong, Miss A. L. Greenman, F. M. Fleming. The schoolhouse was used as a place of worship for three years. In 1874, work was commenced on a church edifice, which was dedicated December 2, 1877. The building is a stone structure 32x45 feet, and was erected at a cost of $3,600.
The following pastors have had charge of the church: Revs. Chas. Parker, John Wilson, I. B. Smith and Rev. H. W. Woods, the present incumbent. Present membership, fifty-three. In connection, may be mentioned the existence of a flourishing Sabbath-school, with a membership of 110.
The Press History of the town commences with the Frankfort Record, which was established July 25, 1876, by Campbell & Bros. On the 26th day of October, 1876, I. B. Smith & Son bought the paper, and continued its publication under the same name for some time, when it was purchased by S. B. Todd, who named it the Headlight, and changed its politics in favor of the Greenback party. The paper was continued under his management until Nov. 18, 1881, when it was purchased by L. P. Bowen, who changed it politics to Republican, and its name to that of the Frankfort Bee. The Bee is a seven column folio, and is devoted principally to home interests. The job office in connection is one of the most complete in Northern Kansas.
The Frankfort postoffice was first established in 167, two miles southeast of the present town site of Frankfort, and was called Nottingham. D. C. Auld being the first Postmaster. He was succeeded by O. C. Horr, when the office was moved into town, and its name changed to its present appellation. Mr. Horr was succeeded by S. D. McKee, then came I. B. Smith, R. W. Reese, A. McLean and Benj. McElroy, the present incumbent, who has occupied his position since October 31st, 1881. It became a Money Order office in June, 1872.
Frankfort Lodge, No. 67, A. F. & A. M., was organized March 28, 1868, the first meeting being held in the house of A. G. Barrett, at Barrett's Station. In the fall of 1869, the lodge was moved to Frankfort.
First officers: D. W. Acker, W. M.; T. C. Hendricks, S. W.; J. Grimes, J. W.; W. Life, Treas.; S. W. Hazen, Sec'y. Present officers: B. McElroy, W. M.; J. W. Bartlett, S. W.; H. Massie, J. W.; L. V. McKee, Treas.; J. M. Watson, Sec'y.
Vermillion Lodge, No. 110, I. O. O. F., was instituted under dispensation, January 7, 1874. In October, 1874, the Society received its charter, which was granted to the following charter members: F. B. Taylor, Sr., G. F. Poor, H. Sleigh, T. H. Gibson, G. Sleigh, J. L. Davis, and J. R. Voorhees. The first officers were: F. B. Taylor, Sr., N. G.; H. C. Sleigh, V. C.; J. L. Davis, Rec. Sec'y; J. R. Voorhees, Treas.
Henderson Post, No. 53, G. A. R., was so named in order to perpetuate the memory of R. A. Henderson, of Company A, Seventh Kansas, who lost his life in the defense of his country in the battle of Little Blue, Mo., November 11, 1861 -- the first soldier who fell, from Marshall County.
The organization of this post was perfected in April, 1882, with eighteen charter members. L. V. B. Taylor, Commander; T. J. Snodgrass, Sr., V. Commander; John W. Brown, Jr., V. Commander; H. N. Pidcoe, Officer of the Day; S. B. Todd, Adjutant; John M. Watson, Q. M.; H. G. Trosper, Q. M. Sergt.; George H. Francis, Sergt. Major; A. J. McKee, Chaplain; Joseph Wallace, Guard. The post now numbers thirty-seven members and constantly increasing, and meets on first and third Wednesdays of each month, in Brady's Hall.
Frankfort Lodge, No. 33, A. O. U. W. -- was organized under a charter, February 21, 1820. Following were the charter members and first officers: J. W. Bartlett, P. M. W.; F. McBride, M. W.; J. J. Hiliker, G. F.; D. C. Marshall, O.; G. C. Brownell, Rec.; H. C. Phinney, Fin.; P. C. Garvin, Receiver; S. Chenoworth, G.; A. J. Weston, I. W.; J. N. Farce, O. W.
Present officers: J. S. Warden, P. M.; I. W. Brown, M.; S. Goodnight, Rec.; W. H. Clutter, F.; G. C. Brownell, O.; D. M. Carlyle, Fin. Present membership, twenty. Regular meetings are held every Monday evening, at their hall.
Iron Crown Lodge, No. 32, K. of P. -- was organized under dispensation, October 14, 1880, and instituted under a charter dated May 18, 1881, with twenty charter members. First officers: J. S. Warden, P. C.; J. W. Bartlett, C. C.; F. B. Taylor, Jr., V. C.; I. C. Legere, P.; P. C. Garvin, M. of Ex.; W. L. Souders, M. of F.; W. T. Dwinnell, K. of R. & S.; M. G. Phinney, M. of A.
Present officers: J. S. Warden, C. C.; W. T. Dwinnell, V. C.; G. O. Coffin, C.; F. B. Taylor, M. F.; W. F. Holthan, M. of Ex.; C. W. H. Loutenberger, K. of R. & S.; G. E. Scoville, M. of A. Present membership, nineteen. Regular meetings are held every Tuesday evening, at Taylor's Hall.
Frankfort Cornet Band. -- This musical organization was organized under a charter May 26, 1879, under the following officers: J. A. Weston, Pres.; J. M. Brown, Vice-Pres.; W. Brown, Treas.; J. M. Lane, Sec'y. The charter was for ninety-nine years. The organization continued two years. In the winter of 1882, it was re-organized, with ten members, under the leadership of A. Williams. The organization is now in a prosperous condition.
Frankfort House. -- In 1870, a two-story frame building, 24x40 feet, was opened as a hotel by W. Bailey, and known as the Bailey House. Under the management of E. Weston, it was known as the Frankfort House, and has since retained that appellation. Mr. Weston was succeeded by W. H. Clutter, who bought the building of Bailey, and ran it as a hotel until April, 1881, when F. B. Taylor, Jr., the present proprietor, took possession. In the summer of 1882, a two-story addition, 30x 32 feet, was made. This hotel has the reputation of being a first-class house.
Bank. -- The private banking institution of J. S. Warden was established, June, 1878. The bank is supplied with a Diebold safe, with Beard's time-lock. Since the bank was first established it has remained under the same management. A general banking business is transacted.
Steam Elevators. -- The Frankfort Steam Elevator was built in the fall of 1876, by J. M. Lane. The building is 28x62 feet, has a capacity of 12,000 bushels, and was erected at a cost of $6,500. In 1878, A. J. McKee became an active partner, and the elevator has since run under the firm name of Lane & McKee.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. (ADAMS - HAXLETT)
A. W. ADAMS, farmer, P. O., Frankfort was born in Missouri, June 11, 1843; was a farmer and dealer in stock at Brookfield until he moved to Marshall County, Kansas, in 1880, where he is now engaged extensively in the stock business; is married and has five children. Belongs to the A. O. U. W.
W. H. AULD, farmer, P. O., Frankfort, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, January 13, 1840, and removed to Marshall County, Kansas, in 1856, and engaged in farming. Is a member of the A. O. U. W. Married June 17, 1862, to Mary E. Bradford, and has seven children. His father, D. C. Auld, who resides with him, was born in Northumberland County, Pa., February, 18, 1810, moved to Ohio in 1814, and to Marshall County, Kan., in 1855. He was elected to the State Legislature in 1861. Enlisted in the United States Army and was Lieutenant of Company G, Thirteenth Kansas Infantry. Lieutenant Auld first detected the firing of cannons at the battle of Prairie Grove, and at once notified General Blunt, who immediately dispatched an orderly to ascertain the cause of the firing, who returned in a few minutes, and reported that the Confederate Army were passing on the line road. General Blunt at once moved to the front and gained the battle. Had it not been that Lieutenant Auld detected the firing at the moment he did, the battle would have been lost to the Union army. Mr. Auld is one of the oldest and best known settlers, and claims to have put the first roof on a house in Marshall County.
J. J. BARBER, farmer and Trustee of Vermillion Township, P. O. Frankfort, was born in Brockville, Canada West, July 5, 1840; was educated in Canada, and grew up a farmer and in mercantile business. In 1872, he came to Kansas and began teaching school. Has taught nine terms in Marshall County, and is owner of a small but valuable farm well improved. His wife was Hannah Pennington, born in Lower Canada, and they have four children -- Charles R. F., Alexander K., Carrie and John Garfield -- the eldest born in Joliet, Ill., and the others in Kansas. Mr. Barber is a Republican in political faith, and a gentleman whose probity and intelligence well qualify him for his position as an officer and as a teacher.
LUTE P. BOWEN, editor, was born at Mount Ayr, Ringgold, Iowa, December 16, 1857. Went to Frankfort, Marshall County, Kan. in 1881, and purchased of S. B. Todd, the Headlight, a National Greenback paper. The paper has formerly changed hands, it being originally started as the Frankfort Record, in August 1876, by W. P. Campbell, and purchased of him by I. B. Smith and son, and the said Todd in 188? purchased the Record and changed its name as above stated. In November, 1881, the present proprietor purchased the paper and changed its name to the Frankfort Bee. Mr. Bowen is a son of Thomas M. Bowen, who figures prominently in Colorado politics, and is an enterprising young man. Since purchasing the paper, he has placed in his office a Campbell power-press, costing him $1,200, and a Gordon press that cost $275; his entire office being estimated at $3,500.
ELISHA BRADY, lumber merchant, was born in Jefferson County, Ind., April 4, 1820; moved to Dubuque County, Iowa in 1836, and engaged in farming. Left that country in 1856, and went to Delaware County. He was postmaster at Delhi, Iowa, from May, 1861, till the fall of 1866. He was commissioned to receive soldiers' votes in the United States Army in the Lincoln-McClellan Campaign of 1861. In 1869 he removed to Atchison, Kan., thence to Marshall County, in the spring of 1870, and established himself in the lumber business in the town of Frankfort. His sales for the year 1881 amounted to $24,000. He is a member of the Masonic and Odd Fellows' organizations. Married in Dubuque County, Iowa, May 18, 1848, to Miss A. Smith, and has two children, Lucy E., born September 9, 1851, and Mary L., born January 21, 1861.
D. N. CARLISLE, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in Allen County, Ohio, April 15, 1846, moved from there to Indiana in 1874, thence to Marshall County in 1878, and engaged in farming and stock-raising. He has a farm of 240 acres, and feeds from 100 to 200 head of cattle yearly. He was married at Lima, Ohio, October 1, 1872, to Mattie Lawrence. He is a member of the I. O. O. F and the A. O. U. W.
W. H. CLUTTER, druggist and physician, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., April 25, 1834, moved to Greencastle, Ind., in 1854, and attended Asbury University in 1855- '56-'57; went from there to Richland County, Ill., in 1858, and in February, 1861 enlisted in the Sixty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as surgeon. Returned home in July, 1865, and settled at Noble, Ill., until April, 1869, when he went to Frankfort, Marshall Co., Kan., where he is now engaged in the drug business and practicing his profession. The Doctor graduated at the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, March, 1858. Is a member of the A. O. U. W., Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows' Lodges. Was married in September, 1859, to Eliza Mauck, now deceased; married again to Hannah M. Strong, in May, 1870. One child, named William, born December 27, 1872.
GEORGE O. COFFIN, M. D., was born in Northampton, Pa., August 4, 1856; attended school at Williamsburg Academy, Pennsylvania, and graduated in March 1879. Came from there to Frankfort, and engaged in the practice of medicine. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and A. O. U. W.
LEONARD CUTLER, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born March 10, 1833, in Carpenter Township, Chenango County, N. Y. At eighteen he removed to Waukesha County, Wis., and thence to Will County, Ill., thence to Schuyler County, Ill., and thence, in 1857, to Kansas. The first two years were spent on Clear Creek, then followed his permanent settlement where we now find him. His claim was purchased of John Mitchell, and for it he paid about all his ready means. Mr. Cutler began in Kansas a very poor man, his old "patched up" wagon being drawn into the State by two small cows. Nevertheless, we now find his small farm very well improved and his family living in comfort and plenty. Mrs. Cutler was Mary Maxwell, married in 1852, in Joliet, Ill. She died February 5, 1873, leaving two sons, George and Albert, both now with their father.
REV. J. DALY, pastor of Irish Creek Catholic Church, P. O. Frankfort, was born in Ireland, February 28, 1833; was educated at All Hallows College, Ireland, and Seaton Hall, New Jersey. He came to America September 22, 1863, and for his first work was that of assistant pastor at Newark, J. J. His second pastorate charge was in Philadelphia in 1866, where he remained till February, 1882, when he became pastor of the Church on Irish Creek, ten miles south east of Frankfort, Marshall County, Kan.
W. T. DWINNELL, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in Charleston, N. H., August 25, 1836; went to Detroit, Mich., in 1855. In the spring of 1857 moved to Marshall County, Kan., and engaged in farming. He has held the office of Township Clerk, Trustee and County Assessor, and was elected Justice of the Peace in 1864, and has held the office continuously from that date. He is a member of the K. of P., K. of H., and the A. O. U. W. He was married in Frankfort, Kan., February 18, 1860, to Margaret E. Auld; they had seven children -- Elitha, aged twenty; Frank, seventeen; Daniel, fifteen; Margaret, thirteen; William B., eleven. His wife died February 7, 1874. In November, 1874, he was married to Agnes L. Greenman; they have two children -- Walter J. and Howard Roscoe.
T. S. EWING, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in Ohio in 1836, and moved to Illinois in 1852; from thence to Marshall County, Kan., in 1874, where he purchased 1,280 acres of land. He now has 800 acres under cultivation and feeds about 400 head of hogs a year. Mr. Ewing has in the year 1882, 312 acres of rye, 25 acres of oats, and 170 of corn. He is Trustee of Noble Township. Married, and has five children -- C. L., aged nineteen; M. R. seventeen, Franklin, eleven; Mary E., nine, and Ellen, two.
P. C. GARVIN, M. D., was born in Maine, March 3, 1840, and graduated at the Medical Department of the University of Vermont at Burlington, Vt., June 2, 1862. He entered the United States Army as Assistant Surgeon, Fifty-first Massachusetts Infantry, and after the expiration of the term of service of this regiment, he was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the Fourth Massachusetts Cavalry, and served as such until the close of the war. He entered the Regular Army and served as Assistant Surgeon at Fort Leavenworth, until January 1, 1871, when he came to Frankfort, Marshall Co., Kan., and engaged in the practice of his profession, and has continued in the practice ever since. He is United States Examining Surgeon, a member of the A. F. & A. M., A. O. U. W., K. of H., and K. of P. He was married in Lawrence, Mass., Nov. 8, 1866, to Marion B. Bodwell. They have one child -- Fred A., born September 2, 1874.
W. P GREGG, farmer, P. o. Frankfort, a native of Limerick, Ireland, was born in 1825, and came to America in 1845, and settled in New York, from thence to Ohio, then Kentucky, Indiana, Alabama, Tennessee, and thence to Leavenworth, Kan., in 1856, and finally to Marshall County, Kan., where he settled on and is the owner of 160 acres of fine land on Irish Creek. Me. Gregg hauled his grain to Iowa Point to a mill, a distance of 100 miles, and was compelled to go to Leavenworth and Atchison for his merchandise. He was married in September, 1855, to Catherine Maloney. They have three children -- Thomas F., William J., and James D.
M. M. HASKIN, of the firm of Davis & Haskin, stock dealers, and meat market, was born in Harrisburg, Pa., and is a son of Stephen M. Haskin, deceased, who was born, raised and married in Pennsylvania. His wife (now Mrs. William Pickett) was Eliza Foutz, of Pennsylvania. They remove d in 1856, to Rochester, Minn., and in 1860 to a farm near Barrett's Mills, in this county. Here a new farm was opened up with the aid or the oxen that transported the family from Minnesota. A slab-roofed and slap-floored log cabin was built, and when just ready to occupancy was torn away by a tornado. Mr. Haskin then located farther up the valley toward Vermillion Station, and built again. He enlisted during the rebellion, in Co. D. Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, was taken sick at Fort Kearney, and died of lung fever at has Kansas home August 2, 1862. Of his sons, William Haskin is now a Wabaunsee County farmer, and M. M. Haskin, a thriving young business man of Frankfort. His wife, Miss Ora, daughter of J. L. Davis, his business partner. They have two children. Mr. Haskins is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Frankfort. His home is one of the neatest and most tasteful in the place.
C. B. HASLETT, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, is a Vermonter, born in 1832 in Brookfield; was reared in St. Lawrence, County, N. Y., and removed thence to Illinois, Iowa, and to Kansas in 1800. He located one and a half miles east of the present site of Frankfort, and in September, 1861, enlisted in Company D, of the Eighth Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and his record is identified with that of his gallant regiment up to the battle of Chickamauga, where he was captured. The last nine days of his captivity were spent in burying the dead and carrying off the wounded. He was then taken to Richmond, and put in the third story of a large tobacco warehouse, and adjunct of Libby Prison and there, with only one blanket to cover three men, he spent the fall of 1863. In November he was put into similar quarters in Danville, Va., and spent the long wretched winter of in that way, fed on decaying bacon, corn bread and sweet potatoes. In the spring of 1864, a removal still worse was made to Andersonville, and it was in that hideous prison pen that he fully realized the full extent of the devilish barbarities of the slave-holding, women-whipping fiends, who sought to disrupt the nation. His only clothing was the same uniform in which he was captured -- merely pants and a blouse in tatters; no shirt, boots or blanket, and the fare a pint of "cow peas" or a pint of corn and cob meal in twenty-four hours. Scurvy, caused by exposure and dry diet, was very common, and many a poor wretch walked deliberately over the "dead line" to be shot down order to escape his tortures. Men were promiscuously shot by the guards who desired a furlough, and such a reign of misery and terror, as Mr. Haslett says: "is beyond the power of language." He was exchanged at Charleston, S. C., in December, 1864, and returned to Kansas. He has now a valuable 160 acre farm, forty acres in timber and the balance in cultivation. On this he has a good frame house, and substantial improvements. Mrs. Haslett was born in Michigan, and there are four children living, three boys and one girl.
HON. S. W. HAZEN, farmer, P. O. Frankfort, was born in Denmark, N. Y., May 15, 1835, attended school at Denmark Academy, and studied law with Judge E. S. Merrill, at Copenhagen, N. Y., and was admitted to practice in July, 1858. Formed a law partnership with L. C. Kilham, and continued to practice until 1861. When the war broke out Mr. Hazen enlisted in the Fourteenth New York Volunteer Infantry, Company I, and held the office of First Lieutenant. In 1864 he moved to Marshall County, Kan., and engaged in farming, where he has remained ever since. In 1868-'70 he was elected to the State Legislature. He is a member of the Masonic Order. He was married in New York, May, 1868, to Sarah E. Shultz. They have six children -- Suel M., fourteen years of age; Mand, twelve; W. B., ten; Ida, eight; Sterling, six; Bessie, three.
J. L. HAXLETT, farmer and carpenter, P. O. Wyoming, was born November 6, 1835, in Winfield, Butler Co., Pa. His father, Reuben, farmer and blacksmith, a native of Maryland, died in 1879, aged eighty-five. His wife, Mary Duffy, born in Pennsylvania, is still living, aged eighty-seven. Their son, out subject, learned his trade and followed it in his native State until 1871, when he brought his family to Marshall County, Kan. Here he has a farm on Section 10, Vermillion Township, and has also mining claims in Colorado. During the time worked at his trade continuously. He is a Democrat, and served as Justice of the Peace five years in Pennsylvania and seven years in Frankfort. His wife was Bridget Magee, born in Clearfield Township, Butler County, Pa., and married November 21, 1858, in Coyleville, Pa. They have four children -- John J., born December 3, 1852; George B., September 30, 1861; Arthur A., January 3, 1864, and Charles H., October 29, 1865.