KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


LYON COUNTY, Part 21

[TOC] [part 22] [part 20] [Cutler's History]

WATERLOO TOWNSHIP.

HARMON F. BERRY, farmer, Section 19, Township 15, Range 13, P. O. Wilmington, was born in Bedford County, Pa., March 23, 1830. When he was two years old, his parents moved to Richland County, Ohio, and afterwards to Delaware County. In these counties the subject of this sketch was raised upon a farm. After attaining his majority he married and engaged in farming. The following year he removed to Scott County, Iowa, and engaged in farming. Remained only one year. then went to Rock Island County, Ill., and remained two years, then returned to Iowa and engaged in farming in Iowa for four years. Also had a nursery business. He came to Kansas in June, 1859, located on Log Chain Creek, and took a farm of 160 acres, which he sold the ensuing fall, and came to his present location on the old Santa Fe trail. He entered 320 acres of land, which he improved; afterward bought 320 additional acres and operated this farm for six years. In 1871, he sold 460 acres of land and engaged extensively in sheep-breeding, and wool-growing. He now has 160 acres on his farm which is well improved. He has a commodious stone dwelling, good barn, and other farm buildings, an orchard of about 180 apple trees, 100 peach trees, besides other fruits. He has 100 acres under cultivation and all under-fence. His principal crop is corn and millet. He is a member of the Christian Church. He enlisted in November, 1863, as a private in Company F, Sixteenth Regiment Kansas Volunteers. Was afterward promoted to Corporal. Participated in all the engagements in which his company took part. He was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth In December, 1865. He is a member of Jayhawker Post No. 140, G. A. R. He married Miss Lamira McWorter, of Marion, Ohio, June 19, 1851, by which marriage he has had nine children, of whom Lamira J., Thomas A., Albert S., Kansas T., Irene, Lenora and Estella are alive. His wife died March 20, 1872. He married Mrs. Melissa Taylor, of Burlingame, August 7, 1873. Has no children by this marriage.

JOSEPH W. BEST. farmer, Section 34, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born March 22, 1835, at Zanesville, Ohio. When about ten years of age he removed with his parents to Morgan County, Ind., where he remained during his minority. In August, 1856, he removed to Bad Axe County, Wis., where he remained one winter, then, in the spring of 1857, came to Kansas, locating on Hill Creek, in Waterloo Township, pre-empting 160 acres of land, which he has ever since resided upon. His farm is improved by the erection of dwelling-house and the necessary farm buildings, has an orchard of about 600 apple and 300 peach trees, besides smaller fruits. His principal crop is corn. Mr. B. was enrolled in the State militia during the war, and was called into service at the time of the Price raid and during several Indian raids and alarms. He was also with Kansas troops in Missouri for some time as an independent Unionist without pay. He has been a member of the School Board three years, and has held other local offices. He is a member of Ivy Grange, P. of H. He married Mrs. Lydia Ward of Cincinnati, Ohio, April 7, 1858, By which marriage he has had ten children, of whom Sarah J., William H., Charles V., Belle M., Susan E., Arminta E., Lloyd E. and George A. are living.

RICHARD H. BEST, farmer, Section 20, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born at Zanesville, Ohio, in October, 1830. While he was yet an infant, his parents removed to Springfield, Ohio, where they resided until 1847, then removed to Morgan County, Ind. Here the subject of our sketch remained until 1854, when he removed to Decatur County, Iowa, where he resided, engaged in farming for about three years. In July, 1857, he came to Kansas, locating on Hill Creek, in Waterloo Township. He pre-empted 160 acres of land which he at once began to improve, and which he continued to farm until August, 1862 when he enlisted as a Corporal in Company C, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers. He participated in the battles of Old Fort Wayne and Cane Hill, in the latter receiving a severe wound in the head by a minie-ball, which he still carries in his head, surgeons never having been able to extract or definitely locate it. This wound disabled him from further service, and after remaining about five months in hospital he was discharged. He then returned home and resumed the operation of his farm. He has since made additional purchases, so that his farm land now amounts to 500 acres, divided into two farms one of which he personally operates, renting the other. Both farms are valuable land, being largely bottom land, each having timber and running water upon it. He is largely engaged in stock raising, and feeds most of his crops to his own stock. Mr. Best has held several offices in the township. His a member of Ivy Grange, P. of H. He married Miss Dicie Hopkins, of Morgan County, Ind., in March, 1852. She died in October, 1868, leaving five children, of whom James K., George W., Robert H. and Dicie M. are now living. August 14, 1977, he married Miss Julia A. Monti, of Emporia, by whom he has two children - Willie A. and Emma.

ROBERT BEST, farmer, Section 33, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born August 19, 1814. at Zainesville, Ohio, where his youth was spent. His father was a distiller, and he followed the distilling business most of the time until he came to Kansas. He removed to Mason County, Ky., in 1832, and remained there sixteen years. In 1848 he began farming, in Shelby County, Ohio, continuing until he came to this State. He was one of the earliest settlers of Breckinridge (now Lyon) County, coming here in April, 1856, when he took a claim of 160 acres, situated on Hill Creek, in Waterloo Township. He has ever since remained upon his homestead, and is now the oldest settler living in Waterloo Township. He has since purchased eighty acres adjoining the home farm and eighty acres between Dow and Duck creeks, in Fremont Township. He has made valuable improvements upon the home farm. Has about 130 acres under cultivation, and an orchard containing about 200 apple and 3,000 peach trees, besides other fruits. He raises cattle and hogs, feeding all his own crops, and buying more for his stock. Mr. Best is a member of the Emporia Commandery, No. 13. K. T. He held the office of Justice of the Peace of Waterloo Township four years, and has held other local offices. He has been married three times. By his first wife, Miss Dorathy Smith, of Clarke County, Ohio, whom he married June 9, 1939, he had one child - Samuel A. who was a member of the Fifty-first Regiment Ohio Volunteers in the War of the Rebellion, and was killed in Virginia. This wife died February 7, 1841. He married Miss Margaret Leighton, of Clarke County, Ohio, in April, 1844. She died January 6, 1851, without issue. He married Miss Isabella V. Radabaugh, of Logan County, Ohio, April 27, 1852. Uncle Robert, as he is called, has led an active life, and has met with some exciting and interesting experiences. While on his return home from a trip to Kansas City, then the nearest trading point to the settlers in this county, the 4th day of June, 1856, at the time John Brown was engaged in his Black Jack battle, Mr. Best was taken prisoner by a band of border ruffians, known as the Buford Men, at Bowl Creek, in Johnson County. He was held five days and robbed of $350 in cash. His companion was not held so long, but lost his ox team and wagon, with its contents.

JOHN BRAMHILL, farmer, Section 2, Township 17, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born July 21, 1828, at Epworth, Lincolnshire, England, where he was brought up on a farm. He came to the United States in 1834, locating in Dane County, Wis., where he remained until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1857. He took a claim of 160 acres of land, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second Creek, which claim he sold in 1860. During the war he was enrolled in the militia and was called into service at the time of the Price raid, and on several other occasions. He farmed rented land, until 1866, when he bought eighty acres of partly improved land, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second and Hill creeks, in Waterloo Township. He has since purchased additional lands, and now has in his home farm 187 acres, and 160 acres one-half mile southwest of and forty acres one-fourth of mile north of the home farm. He has about eighty acres under cultivation, forty acres of timber land, and uses the remainder for hay and grazing. He raises cattle and hogs, feeding most of his crops to his own stock. He has made valuable improvements upon the home farm. Has an orchard of about 300 apple trees besides other fruits. Mr. Bramhill is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, also a member of Ivy Grange, P. of H. He married Mrs. Elizabeth Courtney, of Waterloo Township, September 20, 1830. She has two children by her former marriage - Anna A., and Thomas S. By this marriage Mr. Bramhill has had four children, of whom George L., William A., and Frances M., are living.

THOMAS F. BURNS, farmer, Section 22, Township 15, Range 13, P. 0. Wilmington, was born in Augusta, Maine, November 4, 1830. He received an academic education, and attaining his majority, he engaged in teaching school in his native State. He removed to Waupaca County, Wis., in 1853. and engaged in farming, continuing about three years. He then removed to Chickasaw County, Iowa, where he remained until 1859, engaged in farming. He then removed to Kansas and located on Chicken Creek, in Waterloo Township, and took a claim of 120 acres which he improved and farmed until 1868. He then sold it and came to his present location, on Swan Creek, in Waterloo Township. He has on his farm 320 acres, 160 of which he purchased in 1862, and 160 in 1881. He has made valuable improvements upon his farm. He has about eighty acres under cultivation, about five acres of timber land, the remainder being hay and grazing land. He raises some cattle, horses and hogs, feeding all his crops to his stock. Mr. Burns is a member of the Universalist Church. Also a member of Wilmington Lodge, No. 57, I. O. O. F. He has held the office of Township Trustee three years. He was Justice of the Peace six years, has been a member of the School Board many years. He has been married twice, April 27, 1853, he married Miss Emma J. Winter, of Augusta, Maine. She died March 25, 1875, after bearing him eight children, of whom Fannie E., Clara A., Edith C., Charles H., and Mary Estella are living. He married Miss Nancy Putnam, of Farmington, Pa., March 7, 1882.

LEONARD W. BUSH, farmer, Section 35, Township 15, Range 12, P. O. Air, was born April 6, 1834, at Pamelia, Jefferson Co., N. Y. When seventeen years old he learned the trade of carriage making, which he followed about four years, in the fall of 1855 he removed to Watertown, Wis., and the following spring started for Kansas under the auspices of the Milwaukee Emigration Association, Ed. Ross, superintendent. He took a claim about five miles southeast of Topeka, but in March, 1857, abandoned it, and came to his present location in Lyon County. He took a claim of 160 acres, situated between Chicken and Log Chain creeks, near their confluence with Elm Creek, in Waterloo Township. This he began at once to improve, and has ever since cultivated. He has since purchased other land and now has in his farm 330 acres. Has about eighty-five acres under cultivation, 100 acres of fine meadow land and 145 acres of pasture. Nearly all his land is enclosed. He has made valuable improvements upon his farm, including necessary farm buildings, and an orchard of about 1,000 apple, 1,000 peach and 150 cherry trees, besides 500 grape vines and other fruits and berries. His principal crop is corn. He raises some cattle, feeding his crops to his own stock. Mr. Bush is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has been a member of the School Board several years, and is now Treasurer of the Board. During the Rebellion he was enrolled in the Militia, and was called into service at the time of the Price raid. He married Miss Angeline Barns, of Watertown. N. Y., July 20, 1857, by which marriage he has had eight children, of whom Lester E., Alice D., Minnie M., Daisy B. and Mary A. are living.

ORLANDO C. CASLER, farmer, Section 7, Township 16, Range 13, P. O. Air, was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., August 15, 1826. Five years later his parents removed to Crawford County, Pa., where he was brought up on a farm and received a common school education. In 1844 here turned to his native State and engaged in farming in Otsego County. He married here and remained about five years, then removed to Ogle County, Ill., where he bought a farm and remained engaged in farming until he enlisted in August, 1863, as a private in Company A, Second Regiment Illinois Cavalry. The regiment was in the Cavalry Corps of the Western Army. Mr. Casler participated in the battle of Rienzi, and in several skirmishes. Was mustered out in February, 1865. He then returned to Ogle County and resumed the operation of his farm, continuing until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1868. He located in Waterloo Township and bought a partly improved farm of 160 acres, situated on Elm Creek. He sold this farm in 1875, and bought thirty acres of unimproved land in Waterloo Township, which he has since cultivated. He has made valuable improvements upon the place, including nice dwelling, good barn and other farm buildings and an orchard of two acres. He married Miss Narina Coleman, of Otsego County, N. Y., January 8, 1848 by which marriage he has had six children - Charles M., Elsie, Florence, Cora, Ernest and Gertrude, all living.

TRUMAN E. GILBERT, farmer and stock dealer, Section 35, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Ivy, was born in Washington County, Ohio, December 20, 1837. Twelve years later he removed with his parents to Jefferson County, Ill., but after a residence there of one year removed to Appanoose County, Iowa. Here he remained upon a farm until August, 1862, when he enlisted as a Sergeant in Company I, Thirty-sixth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry. He was assigned to the army operating on the Mississippi River, and participated in the battles of Helena, Little Rock and Marks Mills, besides many lighter engagements and skirmishes. He was mustered out of service in September, 1865, and returned to Appanoose County, where he remained until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1867. He located in Lyon County, and bought a farm of 100 acres situated on One Hundred and Forty-second Creek. This place he sold In 1878, and the following year he bought the farm now owns, containing 320 acres, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second Creek, in Waterloo Township. He has made valuable improvements on the farm, including a large and fine dwelling, good barn and other buildings. He has 175 acres under cultivation, sixty acres of timber land and uses the remainder for hay and grazing. His principal crop is corn. He raises cattle and hogs, and feeds many more, using all his own crops and buys additional. He married Miss Laura Moore, of Appanoose County, Iowa. December 5, 1858. She died August 16, 1880, after bearing him ten children, of whom Isabella, Elmer E., Elva L. and Emma are living. He married Miss Elizabeth W. Kirkpatrick, of Emporia, August 18, 1881, by whom he has one child - Jessie M.

LEMUEL W. HUTCHASON, farmer, Section 35, Township 16, Range 13, P. O. Ivy, - known as Well Hutchason the Infidel - was born September 27, 1824, in Clinton County, N. Y., and raised upon a farm in Niagara County, N. Y. His father died before he was ten years old, in 1833, leaving a family of six children of whom he was the oldest, and upon him and his next oldest brother devolved the maintenance of the family. His principal vocation was farming. In 1849, he bought 160 acres of land in Grundy County, Ill., and the following year, began farming for himself. He sold this farm in 1856, and in January, 1857, came to Kansas. Located in Waterloo Township and pre-empted 160 acres of land situated on One Hundred and Forty-second creek, which he began at once to improve and has ever since cultivated. He has since bought five acres of timber land. He has made valuable improvements upon his farm, including a commodious frame dwelling completed in the spring of 1883. He has about 100 acres under cultivation; principal crop is corn. He raises cattle, horses and hogs, feeding all his crop to his own stock. He married Miss Minnie G. Chandler, of Chicago, Ill., April 13, 1856. She died March 4, 1883, leaving six children - Mary, Ettie, Franz, Zilpha, Lila and Meda. Mr. Hutchason has given to his children a good education, sending some to the State Normal School and some to the State University.

JAMES PEYTON JOHNSON, farmer, Section 19, Township 15, Range 13, P. O. Wilmington was born in Venango County, Pa., August 16, 1830. While an infant his parents removed to Mercer County, Pa., where he was brought up on a farm and remained until he attained his majority. In 1852 he moved to Fulton County, Ill., where he engaged in farming. He remained there until July, 1857, when he came to Kansas. Breckinridge County, where he took a claim of 160 acres on Elm Creek, in Waterloo Township, which he improved and cultivated until 1864. He then operated a rented farm for one year, and in 1866 he bought eighty acres of improved land, situated on the old Santa Fe trail in Waterloo Township. This farm he has improved by the erection of a dwelling and other farm buildings and an orchard of about 150 apple trees, 300 peach trees and other fruits. He is one of the oldest settlers in Waterloo Township, and has remained within four miles of his first location ever since he came to the State. His principal crop is corn. He raises some cattle and hogs, feeding all his crops to his own stock. Mr. Johnson is a member of Wilmington Lodge, No. 57, I. O. O. F. He has been a member of the School Board, and the Treasurer of the same several years, and has held other local offices. He married Miss Lydia C. Dunmire, of Mercer County, Pa., November 16, 1851, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom William C., John L., James A., Fred E., and Lina K. are living.

JAMES JONES, farmer, Section 7, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Allen, was born in South Wales, November 1, 1822. He came to the United States in 1845, and after a residence year in New York City located in Westchester County, N. Y., where he remained four years, and engaged in gardening. In 1850 he removed to Portage, Wis., but after a few months went South, and remained in New Orleans, and Apalachicola, Fla., until he came to Kansas, in 1857. In September of that year he pre-empted 160 acres of land, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second creek, in Waterloo Township where he has ever since been engaged in farming. He has improved this farm by the erection of a commodious dwelling, barn, corn cribs and other farm buildings, planted an orchard and made other improvements. He raises cattle and hogs quite extensively, feeding all his crop, which is principally corn, to his own stock. Mr. Jones was enrolled in the State militia during the War of the Rebellion, and was several times called into service. He is a member of Ivy Grange, P. of H. He married Miss Hannah O. Sheppardson, of Waterloo Township, October 31, 1861. They have no children.

JOHN LANGLEY, farmer, Section 18, Township 16, Range 16, P. O. Air, was born in Scott County, Va., March 3, 1822. While an infant his parents removed to Russell County, Va., where he was raised up on a farm. In 1844 he settled in Floyd County, Ky.; was engaged in farming the first two years, then entered the mercantile business, keeping a general store for four years. He afterwards engaged in the lumber business, but during all this time he also operated his farm, which he sold in 1856, and in the spring of 1857 he came to Kansas. In May, he located on Elm Creek, in Waterloo Township, and took a claim of 188 acres, which he improved and farmed until 1866, when he sold it and came to his present location. He has in his farm 121 acres, situated on Elm Creek. He has made valuable improvements upon his farm, including a commodious frame dwelling and necessary farm buildings. Has about sixty acres under cultivation. Principal crop is corn. Raises some cattle and hogs. Mr. Langley is one of the earliest settlers in Waterloo Township and has remained within two miles of his first location ever since he came to the State. He was enrolled in the militia during the rebellion; was called into service at the time of the Price raid. He married Miss Sarah A. Brown, of Floyd County, Ky., January 11, 1849, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom William L., Robert D., Matthew, George and Eliza J. (twins) and Joseph H. are living.

WILLIAM C. LINEKER, farmer, Section 6, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Allen, was born in Nottingham, Eng., January 29, 1813. He came to the United States in 1847, locating first in New York City, where he remained three years. The next four years he spent in different Eastern cities, working at his trade, the manufacture of hosiery goods, and in the fall of 1854, came to Kansas. He located at Topeka, where he remained three years, and was one of the party who laid out that town site. In March, 1857, he came to his present location and pre-empted 130 acres of land, situated on One Hundred and Forty-second creek, in Waterloo Township. He has made valuable improvements upon this farm, including dwelling and necessary farm buildings, and an orchard of 450 apple and fifty peach trees, besides smaller fruits. He raises some cattle and hogs. Principal crops are corn and millet. Mr. L. was a warm Abolitionist when he came to Kansas, and did not maintain his opinions without considerable trouble and cost to himself. He married Miss Elizabeth Bingley, of Nottingham, Eng., in 1834. She died in 1847, leaving four children - James, Sarah A., William and Arthur, all of whom are living. He again married in 1852, Mrs. Harriet Huntress, of Groveland, Mass., who died March 2, 1880, leaving three children - Emma C., Albert E., and Clarence E., all now living.

HIRAM MILLER, farmer, Section 12, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Air, was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, January 25, 1842. When he was eight years old his parents removed to Williams County, Ohio, where he was raised upon a farm. In April, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company H. Fourteenth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Militia, for three months. Participated in the battle of Cheat River and a skirmish at Bealington, Va. At the expiration of his term of enlistment he returned to Ohio, and in August of the same year, he enlisted as a private in Company C, Thirty-eight Regiment, Ohio Volunteers; was afterwards promoted to corporal. Was assigned to the Western Army, and upon the reorganization of the army was assigned to the Fourteenth Corps Army of the Cumberland. Participated in the siege of Corinth, battles of Perryville, Stone River, Hoover's Gap, Tuliahoma, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge and the campaign against Atlanta. After this Mr. Miller was taken sick and sent to the hospital at Nashville. He rejoined the regiment at Jonesboro, N. C., and continued with the army of General Sherman in the great march through the Carolinas, into the National Capital. Was present at the great review at Washington. Was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., July 12, 1865. He then returned home and in the spring of 1866 came to Kansas, bought 125 acres of unimproved land, situated on Elm Creek, in Waterloo Township, which he partly improved and then traded for fifty- six acres of bottom land on Elm Creek. This farm he improved by the erection of farm buildings, etc., and sold it in 1872 and removed to his present location in Waterloo Township. He has his present farm eighty acres, upon which upon he erected a commodious frame dwelling in and nice farm buildings. Has an orchard of about 100 apple trees, besides other fruits. He also rents other land. Principal crop is corn and millet. He raises some cattle and hogs, feeding all his crops to his own stock. He is a member of Jayhawker Post, No. 140. G. A. R. He married Miss Frances E. Banks, of Waterloo Township, November 18, 1868, by whom he has three children - Winifred C., Florence E., and Elwyn B., all living.

JAMES POLLOCK, farmer, Section 7, Township 16, Range 13. P. O. Air, was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, September 1, 1886. He came to the United States in 1851, locating in Randolph County, Ill. Here he learned the trade of a blacksmith which he followed until August 1, 1861, when he enlisted in company P. Tenth Regiment Missouri Volunteers. He served for a time in Missouri, and was then for a time transferred to Mississippi, and participated in the siege of Corinth and the battle of Iuka. He was sent to the hospital at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, on account of sickness, October, 1862, whence he was discharged in December, 1862. He then returned to Randolph County, and there remained following his trade until the spring of 1867, when he came to Kansas. He located in Waterloo Township and bought a partly improved farm containing 184 acres, which he has since cultivated. He has since purchased sixty-six acres of land situated one-fourth of a mile east of the home farm. He has about sixty acres under cultivation, and twenty acres of timber land, and uses the remainder for hay and grazing purposes. His principal crop is corn. He raises some cattle and hogs, feeding all his crops to his own stock. He has made valuable improvements on his farm, including an orchard of over 100 apple and 100 peach trees, besides other fruits. Mr. Pollock is a member of the Congregational Church, also a member of Jayhawker Post, No. 140. G. A. R. He holds the office of Postmaster of the Air office. He has been twice married, his first wife, Miss Jeanette McMurry, of Randolph County, Ill., whom he married in May, 1863, died June 4, 1869, leaving three children, Margaret, Thomas and Archibald, all now living. He married Mary McNeil, of Randolph County, Ill., in July, 1871. Has no children by this marriage.

ROBERT POLLOCK, farmer and stock raiser, Section 6, Township 16, Range 13, P. O. Air, was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, August 1, 1831. He came to the United States in 1850, locating in Randolph County, Ill. He was engaged in farming for several years, then ran a stationary engine in a grist mill for about five years. In July, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company G. Eightieth Regiment Illinois Volunteers. Was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and participated in the battle of Perryville, in which he was wounded in the right lung and in the left thigh. He was sent to the hospital, and was discharged in January, 1863, for disability. He then returned to Illinois, and soon after engaged in the woolen manufacturing business, under the firm name of Calderwood, Pollock & Dickey, at Sparta, and Dickey, Pollock & Dickey at De Soto. He remained in Randolph County, with the exception of sixteen months when he was in Kendall County, engaged in farming, until he came to Kansas. Relocated in Lyon County in April, 1866, and bought 194 acres of unimproved land situated on Elm Creek, Waterloo Township. He has since purchased additional lands, and now has in his farm 660 acres. He has about 130 acres under cultivation, thirty-five acres of timber land, and uses the remainder for hay and grazing. He has made valuable improvements upon his farm, including a commodious frame dwelling, barn, corn-crib, and other farm buildings, and has an orchard of about one acre. He raises cattle and hogs, feeding all his crops to his own stock. Has some high grade cattle of the Durham breed. His principal crop is corn, but he also raises oats and millet. Mr. Pollock is a member of Signal Lodge, No. 141, A., F. & A. M., of Osage City. Also a member of Jayhawker Post, No. 140, G. A. R. He was elected Justice of the Peace in November, 1868, and held the office fourteen consecutive years by re-election. He has also held the office of Postmaster at Air and other local offices. He married Miss Jennie Smiley, of Sparta, Ill., March 15, 1866, by which marriage he has had three children, of whom Thomas A. and Robert, Jr., are now living.

WILLIAM RICHARDSON, farmer and stock breeder, Section 25, Township 15, Range 12, P. O. Waushara, was born in Staffordshire, England April 30, 1832, and came to the United States four years later with his parents. They located in New York State, where he remained until after attaining his majority. In 1853 he moved to Linn County, Iowa, where he learned the trade of a mason and a bricklayer. Remained in Iowa two years returned to New York and married and then settled in Dodge County, Wis. He remained here one a year, however, and then came to Kansas, in May, 1857, he located in Waterloo Township taking a claim of 16 acres, situated on Log Chain Creek, which land he began at once to improve. He continued to cultivate his farm until September, 1861, when he enlisted as First Sergeant of Company E, Eighth Regiment Kansas Volunteers. He was afterward promoted Sergeant-Major of the regiment. He participated in all the engagements which his command took part while he was with it and in all which his position called him after his promotion. He was mustered out at Louisville, Ky., in October, 1864. He then returned to his farm, which he has ever since continued to cultivate. He has since purchased additional land, and now has in his farm 400 acres upon which he has made valuable improvements, including a large and fine dwelling, good barn, expensive cattle sheds and an orchard of about 200 apple trees besides other fruits. He is quite extensively engaged in raising cattle, feeding all his crops to his own stock. His principal crop is corn. Mr. Richardson is a member of the Universalist Church. He is also a member of Jayhawker Post, No. 140. G. A. R. He has held the office of Township Trustee one year, been a Justice of the Peace two years and has held other local offices. He married Miss Mary N. Clough, of Wyoming County, N. Y., April 3, 1856 by whom he has had two children, Frank E. and Ella D., both living.

MILLARD F. RIGGIN, farmer, Section 22, Township 15, Range 13, P. O. Wilmington, was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, November 18, 1844. He was raised upon a farm in his native county, and educated in the schools of New Holland and at Antioch College, Ohio. After attaining his majority, he was engaged in teaching in the schools of Pickaway County about four years. In the spring of 1868 he came to Kansas, locating in Shawnee County, where he engaged in farming. He sold his farm, June, 1877, and came to his present location in Lyon County. In 1881 he bought the quarter section of land situated in the extreme northern corner of Lyon County, and now operates it. The farm is well improved, has upon it a dwelling, barn and other farm buildings, an orchard of about 220 apple trees, besides other fruits. He has about eighty acres under cultivation, about twenty acres of timber land and uses the remainder for hay. He married Miss Claudia Craig, of Wilmington, September 21, 1881, by whom he has one child, Alta G., born July 27, 1882.

LEVI SMITH, farmer, Section 1, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Air, was born April 9, 1827, in Berks County, Pa. When about eight years old his parents removed to Pickaway County, Ohio, where his father died. In 1839 his mother removed to Edgar County, Ill., where he remained until 1850, when he went to California and remained engaged in mining four years. He then returned to Illinois and remained until he came to Kansas in March, 1857. He located in Waterloo Township, pre-empting 160 acres of land situated on Elm Creek, with the exception of about nine months in 1860, when he was at Pikes Peak, Col. He has remained upon his homestead since his settlement. He has since purchased 120 acres of land, a mile west of the home farm. He has made valuable improvements on his place, including dwelling, barn, corn crib, etc., and an orchard of about 100 apple and 100 peach trees, besides other fruits. His principal crop is corn. He raises some cattle, horses, and hogs. He married Miss Priscilla A. Johnson, of Waterloo Township, April 20, 1865, by which marriage he has had ten children, of whom Nellie E., William L., Milton M., Frank, Harry E., Charles E. and George W. are living.

GILBERT C. SWEET, farmer, Section 8, Township 16, Range 12, P. O. Allen, was born March 29, 1846, in Warren County, Pa. About ten years later his father removed to Chautauqua County, N. Y., where they remained about two years, and in the spring of 1858 came to Kansas. His father pre-empted 160 acres of land situated on One Hundred and Forty-second Creek, in Waterloo Township, which he improved and resided upon until his death, in 1869. Here the subject of this sketch has always remained, upon him devolving the active working of the farm almost from the first settlement, on account of the feeble condition of his father, after whose death the farm was divided, Gilbert C., receiving sixty acres. He has since improved his farm by the erection of a fine stone dwelling, and has upon it a barn, sheds and other farm buildings; an orchard of seventy-five apple and fifty peach trees, besides other small fruits. Fifty acres of his land is under cultivation. He raises some cattle and hogs, feeding all his crops to his own stock. He married Miss Katie E. Mosher, of Waterloo Township, February 28, 1872, by whom he has one child, Genevra, born February 22, 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Sweet are members of the Methodist Church.

[TOC] [part 22] [part 20] [Cutler's History]