|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The name of Plymouth recalls to the reader recollections of the days when the Puritans first settled in New England. The name of this village doubtless owes its origin to that fact. It is located on rolling prairie, seven miles nearly due west of Emporia, on the line of the A., T. & S. F. R. R. The first settlement was made in 1857 by C. Humphrey. He was followed by John Smith, C. Stout, John Carter, E. Parker, and others. The first Township Board was composed of D. McMillan, H. W. Fick, P. Eickendry, D. Molsingee, B. Weaver, and R. Thomas. The postoffice was established in 1858, D. McMillan being appointed first Postmaster. In 1859, C. Humphrey opened the first store. The first school opened in 1862, by Mary Hammis, and kept in a private dwelling until 1864, when a schoolhouse was erected. During the same year religious services were held by Rev. J. Steel, at the house of Mrs. Campbell. A saw mill was built by Messrs. Townsend & Campbell, the same year.
Plymouth is located in the midst of a good farming community, and transacts more business annually, for its size, than any point in the county. At this place is located a good grist and saw mill.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - PIKE TOWNSHIP.
NEIL CAMPBELL, farmer, P. O. Plymouth, was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, June 12, 1832. His youth was spent in his native country, where he received a common school education, and afterwards worked as a grocer's clerk. He came to the United States in 1853, locating in DeKalb County, Ill., where he remained, engaged in farming, until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1857. Located in Lyon County, pre-empting 160 acres, situated on the Cottonwood River, about one-half mile west of Plymouth. He has since improved and operated this farm, but never resided upon it. In 1863, he built his present residence, in the village of Plymouth. From 1865 to 1872 he operated a steam grist and saw mill at Plymouth, the first mill operated west of Emporia. He has since purchased 400 acres in Pike Township, and now has about 300 acres under cultivation, the remainder being used for grazing and hay. His principal crop is corn. He is quite extensively engaged in raising and feeding cattle. Mr. Campbell is a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Plymouth. He has held the office of Township Trustee one year, and been Treasurer of the School Board twelve years.
THOMAS N. DIXON, farmer, Section 8, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Plymouth, was born in Chatham County, N. C., November 23, 1851. In the fall of 1866 he came to Kansas with his parents. His father, Simon M. Dixon, now deceased, then located near Plymouth and began improving eighty-five acres of land he had purchased six years previous, situated in Pike Township. In the spring of 1867 he also purchased thirty acres of land east of and adjoining the town site of Plymouth, which he improved by the erection of a dwelling house, barn, and other farm buildings, planted an orchard of about 800 apple and 100 peach trees, besides smaller fruits. Upon this farm the subject of this sketch resided, with his parents, and since the death of his father, which occurred March 25, 1881, he has operated it. He also owns about 400 town lots in Plymouth. Since coming to Kansas he has continued in the pursuit of a liberal education, attending the State Normal School three years. His sister, Asenath E., attended the Normal at the same time, and graduated June 17, 1880, at the head of her class. She has since taught one year at the State Normal, one year in the county schools of Lyon County, and is now engaged in teaching in the graded school of the Third ward of Emporia. The family are members of the Society of Friends. Mr. Dixon has held the office of Trustee of Pike Township the past year (1882). He was the enumerator of the United States census of 1880 for this township. In 1882, he was delegate from Lyon County to the Republican State Convention at Topeka. Though yet a young man, by his ability, integrity and correct principles, he has won the respect, esteem and confidence of his fellow townsmen, and may confidently rely upon them to bestow upon him greater honors in the future, as a reward for the faithful discharge of duties he has been called to perform for them in the past.
JOSEPH G. ECRET, farmer, Section 16, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Plymouth, was born February 28, 1842, at Carthage, Hamilton County, Ohio. Five years later his parents removed to Butler County, where they remained until they came to Kansas. His father, Samuel, located on the Cottonwood River, in Pike Township, Lyon County, about seven miles west of Emporia, in September, 1855. He died in February of the following year, when the subject of this sketch went to live with his brother-in-law, Mr. William H. Eikenberry, on the farm adjoining. Here he remained until March, 1862, when he entered the Quartermaster's Department of the Army, in which service he remained eight months. He then returned to Lyon County and was engaged in farming and various pursuits until the spring of 1867, when he bought a farm of eighty acres in Pike Township, one and one-half miles southeast of Plymouth, which he commenced at once to improve. He has since bought 120 acres adjoining the first purchase and eight and one-half acres of timberland. He has erected a fine dwelling house and various farm buildings, planted an orchard of about 225 apple trees, besides a large number of peach, pear, and cherry trees, and smaller fruits, and made other valuable improvements. He is quite extensively engaged in raising and feeding cattle and hogs; his principal crop is corn, but he also raises some wheat, rye and oats. He married Miss Martha Jane Phillips, of Pike Township, May 16, 1869, by whom he has one child, Estelle May, born August 12, 1876.
WILLIAM FLICKINGER, farmer, Section 6, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Plymouth, was born in Perry County, Pa., September 26, 1829. When he was about eight years old his parents removed to Richland County, Ohio, where he was raised upon a farm. He received a common school education, and shortly after attaining his majority learned the trade of millwright, in which he was engaged until he came to Kansas. In the fall of 1857 he located in Johnson County, on the Santa Fe trail, and in the same season pre-empted 160 acres in Pike Township, about one mile northwest of Plymouth. In 1862 he began to improve this farm and has since continued to operate it. He has erected a fine, large dwelling, barn and other farm buildings; has an orchard of 325 apple and 50 peach trees, besides smaller fruits. He has since purchased 320 acres of land in Chase County, all fenced, and twelve acres of timber land on the Cottonwood River, south of Plymouth. Mr. Flickinger has held the offices of Treasurer and Clerk of the Township many years, and has also held many local offices. During the Rebellion he was enrolled in the State Militia and was called into service at the time of the Price raid, and during several Indian raids and alarms. He married Miss Eliza A. Buchanan, of Toledo, Chase County, in 1864. By this marriage he had three children, of whom Effie M., is now living. His wife and two children died in August, 1868, all being buried within the space of three weeks. November 14, 1872, he married Miss Rebecca J. Tressler, of Americus, by whom he has two children, John T. and Lillie K., both living.
MILTON LINDLEY, farmer, Section 8, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Plymouth, was born in Orange County, Ind., September 4, 1841. His youth was spent in his native county, where he received a common school education, and was engaged in farming until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1860. He remained that season in Miami County, and in the fall of 1860 located in Lyon County, and was engaged in farming with his brother-in-law, Mr. Elisha Parker, until 1862, when he bought a farm 160 acres, situated on the Cottonwood River, in Pike Township, adjoining the town site of Plymouth. He improved this farm and operated for about eight years, since which time he has rented it. In 1874 he came to his present location, at the northeast corner of the town site, where in 1878 he built a fine large residence. He has in the home farm 20 acres, upon which is a barn and other farm buildings, an orchard of 300 apple trees and 200 peach trees, and small fruits. He now farms about 60 acres of bottom land, his principal crop being corn. He also raises some cattle. Mr. Lindley is a member of the Society of Friends. He has held the office of Township Treasurer three years, and been a member of the School Board many years. He married Miss Sophronia P. Hackney, of Plymouth, September 6, 1865, by whom he has three children - Annie K., Adrian L., and John W., all living.
ALSEPHES MCGINNIS, farmer, Section 7, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Plymouth, was born in Gibson County, Ind., September 20, 1820. He was raised upon a farm, and when about sixteen years of age began life for himself, and was for six years engaged as a farm laborer. He then began farming upon eighty acres, which he operated for about three years. He afterwards had a farm of 100 acres, to which he subsequently added by purchase 200 acres. This he operated until 1855, when he sold his farm and removed to Dubois County, where he was for three years engaged in mercantile business. He then sold his store and business and returned to Gibson County, where he remained engaged in farming until he came to Kansas, in the fall of 1870. He first located in Chase County, where he engaged in farming. In 1881 he removed to Lyon County and bought a farm of eighty-four acres in Pike Township, west of and adjoining the town site of Plymouth. He has since improved this farm by the erection of a large dwelling barn, sheds, corn cribs, and other farm buildings. Has an orchard of about 250 apple and 100 peach trees, besides smaller fruits. He raises some cattle and hogs. Corn is now his principal crop. He married Miss Mary F. Kirk, of Gibson County, Ind., November 10, 1842, by whom he had two children, both deceased. She died October 14, 1845. He married Mrs. Sarah J. Hyneman, also of Gibson County, September 6, 1848, by which marriage he has had four children, of whom Mary E., Lucy Jane, and John W. are now living. Mrs. McGinnis is a member of the Baptist Church.
ASA B. MOON, farmer, Section 14, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Emporia, was born September 30, 1834, in Hamilton County, Ind. He received a common school education, and engaged in farming in his native county until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1858. Located on the Cottonwood River in Pike Township. Pre-empted 160 acres of land, which he sold about three years later. In the spring of 1859, he bought an unimproved farm of sixty acres in Pike Township, five and a half miles west of Emporia, which he has since improved by the erection of a dwelling house and necessary farm buildings. Planted an orchard of about 100 apple and 150 peach trees, besides smaller fruits. Corn and oats constitute his principal crops. He also raises some cattle and hogs. Mr. Moon has held the office of Treasurer of Pike Township one year, and Clerk of the Township School Board about five years. He is a member of the Society of Friends. When he came to Pike Township he had only $2.50 in gold, and as the household goods of the family were delayed about three months in transit, they were obliged to live around among neighbors, and submit to some privations before getting settled in their new home. He has never regretted coming to the State, however, and has made good progress since he got established here. He married Miss Ann P. Pennington, of Hamilton County, Ind., April 9, 1857, by which marriage he has had seven children, of whom Emma, Luther J., Dora, Alva L., Arthur and Frank P. are living. Mr. Moon served as Township Clerk one term.
WILLIAM V. PHILLIPS, farmer, Section 6, Township 20, Range 10, P. O. Plumb, was born in Morgan County, Ind., December 7, 1834. He was brought up on a farm, and received a common school education in his native county, where he resided until he was twenty-two years of age. In the fall of 1857, he came to Kansas, locating at Emporia, where he was for a time engaged in civil engineering. Removed to Leavenworth County in 1858, and taught school for about a year. In the spring of 1860, he returned to Emporia, and was engaged in farming until April, 1861, when he enlisted as a Sergeant in Company H, Second Regiment Kansas Volunteers. Participated in all the engagements in which his company took part, and was mustered out with the regiment in October, 1861. He returned to Lyon County and engaged in farming, in which he continued until August, 1862, when he again entered military service, as Second Lieutenant of Company C, Eleventh Kansas Regiment. Was promoted to First Lieutenant September 19, 1863. Participated in all the engagements in which his company took part, except the battle of Cane Hill. Was mustered out with his company at Fort Riley August 7, 1865. He then returned to Lyon County and rented a farm situated on Jacob's Creek, in Pike Township, which he operated until the spring of 1868. He then bought eighty acres of unimproved land, situated on Jacob's Creek, about four miles south of Plymouth. Has since bought eighty acres adjoining the original purchase and eighty acres situated one mile east of the same. He has improved the home farm by the erection of a commodious dwelling house, barn, sheds, corn cribs and other farm buildings, planted an orchard, and made other valuable improvements. Has about sixty acres under cultivation, fifteen acres of timber, and uses the the remainder for hay and grazing. Raises cattle and hogs, feeding most of his crop, which is principally corn, to his own stock. Mr. Phillips is a member of the Christian Church; also a member of Emporia Post, G. A. R. He is Postmaster of the office at Plumb, in Pike Township. He has been a member of the Township School Board many years. He is a worthy citizen, and has the respect and esteem of his fellow townsmen. He married Miss Lucretia M. Spencer, of Emporia, August 2, 1863, by which marriage he has had five children, of whom Everett N., A. Walter, Gladys L., and Milton W. are now living.
GEO. M. STOWELL, farmer, Section 22, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Emporia, was born in Essex County, N. Y., December 20, 1814. Received a common school education, and learned the trade of millwright. When twenty-two years old he removed to Franklin County, Ohio, where for the next eleven years he followed the occupation of a millwright, and, during this time studied law. In 1847 he removed to Kankakee, Ill., where he engaged in the business of millwright and civil engineer, and was Postmaster there from 1853 to 1861. He also continued his law studies here, and in 1853 was admitted to the bar in the Supreme Court of Illinois. Upon the organization of Kankakee County he was elected the first County Clerk, and held the office four years. He afterwards held the office of Justice of the Peace twelve years, and was also County Surveyor of Kankakee County six years during that time. In 1863 he came to Kansas as engineer in charge of the construction of the bridge across the Kansas River at Lawrence. Was at that place at the time of the Quantrill raid and massacre, and was a witness of its horrors. Remained in Lawrence about six years,, and in 1869 removed to Lyon County. Located at Emporia, and followed the business of a millwright until 1875. He was then elected Justice of the Peace and Judge of the Police Court of Emporia, which office he held two years. He purchased, in 1875, an improved farm of 240 acres, situated on the Cottonwood River, in Pike Township, about three miles southeast of Plymouth, and in 1878 removed to this farm, which he has since continued to improve and operate. He has about 80 acres under cultivation, 40 acres of timber and 90 acres of pasture land, the remainder being unimproved. He is now serving his fourth year as Justice of the Peace of Pike Township. He married Miss Permella Glidden, of Essex County, N. Y., March 12, 1836. She died July 30, 1849, and August 7, 1851, he married Miss Margaret H. Henry, of Joliet, Ill. He has no children by either marriage.
LEMUEL G. TALBOTT, farmer, Section 18, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Plymouth, was born in Pike County, Ohio, September 10, 1832. Received a common school education in his native county, where he continued to reside nearly forty years. He was brought up on a farm, and soon after attaining his majority, began farming for himself. In the spring of 1872 he removed to Sangamon County, Ill., and was engaged in farming there until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1875. Located in Pike Township, Lyon County, and bought an improved farm of 100 acres, situated south of and adjoining the town site of Plymouth. In 1876 he bought about thirty-five acres of land, situated on the western line of the town site, upon which he built a dwelling, which was burned in January, 1879. He at once re-built upon the same foundation the fine commodious dwelling in which he now lives. He has upon the home farm a barn, cribs and other farm buildings, and has a granary upon the lower farm. He has since added to the original purchase 105 acres adjoining, and now operates about 240 acres of farm land. Corn is the principal crop. He also raises some cattle and hogs. Mr. Talbott has been a member of the Township School Board three years since coming to Kansas, and during his residence in Ohio held various local offices. He married Miss Louisa J. Bennett, of Pike County, Ohio, December 23, 1857, by which marriage he has had three children, of whom Benjamin A and Anna L., are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Talbott are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ROSS THOMAS, farmer, Section 10, Township 19, Range 10, P. O. Emporia, was born March 12, 1815, in Champaign County, Ohio, where he was brought up on a farm, and received a common school education. He afterwards engaged in farming in his native county, continuing until 1844, when he removed to Van Buren County, Iowa. Here he also engaged in farming, and with the exception of one year spent in California, remained until he came to Kansas, in the spring of 1857. Located on the Cottonwood River, in Pike Township, Lyon (then Madison) County; pre-empted 160 acres of land which he improved and farmed until the fall of 1859, when he sold it and bought a claim of 160 acres, situated about a mile north of the river and about two miles east of Plymouth. He has improved this farm by the erection of a dwelling-house, barn and other farm buildings, has an orchard of 210 apple, 200 peach and 100 cherry trees, besides pears and smaller fruits. Mr. Thomas is a charter member of Union Lodge, No. 15, I. O. O. F., of Emporia. He held the office of Assessor of Lyon County, six years in succession; was enumerator of the State census of 1865, for Lyon County; has been a member of the Township School Board ten years. Mr. Thomas is one of the earliest settlers of Lyon County, where he has ever since resided. He married Miss Mary J. Gillespie, of Champaign County, Ohio, July 3, 1840. She died December 31, 1854, after bearing him six children, of whom John H., Sarah A., Mary E., and Winfield Corwin, are living. September 5, 1867, he married Mrs. Mary A. Hodson, of Americus, Lyon County, by which marriage he has had three children, of whom Loy M., and Elva M. are now living.