|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HAVER - O'BRYNE).
LEWIS HAVER, farmer, Section 24, Township 18, Range 10, P .O. Americus, was born in Greene County, Pa., December 7, 1834. His early life was passed in Pennsylvania. Removed to Henry County, Iowa in 1856, where he resided about two years. In the spring of 1859, he came to Kansas, locating in Americus Township, on the Kaw Reservation, about one mile north of the village. Took a claim of 140 acres, which he improved and resided upon until 1862, when he sold it and bought 160 acres on the Neosho River, three miles south of the village. In 1863, he enlisted in Company M, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and served with the Regiment until it was ordered to the frontier. Being sick at that time, he was left at Fort Riley, and was mustered out at Fort Leavenworth in July, 1865. Returned to his farm, and in the fall of 1865, he purchased an additional 160 acres adjoining. He has made extensive improvements upon his property, including a fine farm dwelling, large barns, cribs, etc. Has an orchard of about 150 apple trees, fifty peach trees, and many of smaller fruit. In 1880, he became interested with his brother L. B. Haver, in stock raising in the Indian Territory. They have about 1,000 head of cattle. Mr. Haver was a Constable for several years after the close of the war, and has been a member of the School Board and Treasurer of the same several years. Married Miss Maria D. Smith, of Lyon County, October 29, 1865, by whom he had one child - George, who died February 28, 1870. She died June 23, 1870, and he married Miss Lizzie Shearer, of Perry County, Pa., November 14, 1872, by which marriage he has four children - William E., Ella M., John A., and Frank A.
FRANK E. HAWKINS, farmer, Section 3, Township 18, P. O. Americus, was born in Ashland County, Ohio, February 16, 1845. He resided in his native State until May, 1862, when he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers. Was stationed in and about Washington D. C., the most of the time of his service, and participated in some skirmishes at the time of the rebel Gen. Early's raid. He was mustered out in September, 1864, and returned to Ohio, and engaged in mercantile business. Came to Kansas in October, 1870, locating in Lyon County. Bought a farm of eighty acres, one mile west of Americus, which he has greatly improved, and has since added by purchase an additional eighty acres adjoining the first purchase. He also owns a block of sixteen lots in the town of Americus, where he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Married Miss Lestina A. Rusco, of Huron County, Ohio, March 3, 1867. They have one child - Ora, born October 19, 1874.
JOSEPH C. HOLDERNESS, farmer, Section 12, Township 17, Range 10, P. O. Americus, was born April 15, 1836, at Bedford, Canada, and twelve years later came to the United States with his parents. They settled in De Kalb County, Ill., where the subject of this sketch remained until he came to Kansas. He was engaged in farming, except the last five years of his residence there, when he was engaged in carriage and wagon manufacturing, and the sale of agricultural implements. In the summer of 1877 he removed to and located in Americus, bringing good recommends from the most influential men of De Kalb County, Ill., and engaged in the sale of agricultural implements and barbed wire, in which business he continued three years. He purchased in 1877 a claim of 160 acres of trust land, situated about six miles north of Americus, which he commenced at once to cultivate. He has since purchased 320 acres adjoining and now operates the whole; has about 160 acres under cultivation. His principal crops are corn and oats. He is quite extensively engaged in sheep raising, having about 500 head fine Merino sheep. He has improved his farm by the erection of dwelling, barn, sheds and other farm buildings. Mr. Holderness is a Justice of the Peace for Americus Township. He is a member of Emporia Chapter, No. 12, A., F. & A. M., and of Americus Lodge, No. 109, A., F. & A. M. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. He married Miss Priscilla Cheney, of De Kalb, Ill., April, 1859, by which marriage he has had eight children, Elisha J., Georgiana, Henry N., Nellie M., Clara B., Claudius C., Lulu and Maude, all now living.
LAFAYETTE JAMES, farmer and stock dealer, Americus, was born in Edgar County, Ill., May 31, 1834; resided in Illinois until fifteen years old, then spent several years in travel through the Western States, locating in Kansas in the spring of 1857. He at that time pre-empted 160 acres of land situated on the Neosho River, one mile south of Americus, which he still owns. He helped to lay out the town of Americus, and was interested in the town lots. In the summer of 1858, in connection with Wesley Thompson, he built the first hotel in Americus, which was also the first house to be completed on the town site. In the fall of 1860 he returned to Illinois to get married, but the Rebellion, which soon after began, prevented his return to Kansas at that time as he had expected to do. In July, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company A, Seventh Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, an independent company, the members of which furnished their own horses; was assigned to the command of General Grierson, and was engaged in the battle of Corinth, and in all of the raids and scouts of this famous raiding brigade, which was composed of the Second Iowa and the Second and Seventh Illinois Regiments of Cavalry. Mr. James was mustered out of service in June, 1865, and in the fall of that year returned to Kansas, and engaged in farming and stock raising, in which he was extensively engaged until 1881, since which time he has rented his farm on shares, and devoted his attention exclusively to stock dealing. Mr. James is an active, prominent and popular citizen of the town, and though he wields some influence in politics, he has never sought or accepted office. He is a member of A., F. & A. M. He married Miss Margaret Hartley, of Paris, Ill., March 21, 1861, by whom he has had one son, now deceased.
JAMES D. JAQUITH, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Americus, was born at Bellows Falls, Vt., October 30, 1821. When he was about two years of age his parents moved to Cheshire County, N. H., and lived upon a farm until 1837, when he removed to Edgar County, Ill., where the subject of this sketch remained until 1856, with the exception of three years spent in Detroit, Mich., reading law. He was admitted to the bar by the District Court of Wayne County, Mich., in 1849, and the same year commenced practicing at Paris, Edgar Co., Ill. In 1856 he removed to Minnesota and engaged in the practice of his profession at Plainview, Wabash County. Was elected County Attorney and served in that office three years. He remained here until 1865, when he came to Kansas. He located in Lyon County and bought a farm of 120 acres on the Neosho River, one and a half miles southwest of Americus, which he has since improved and continues to operate. His principal crop is corn. He raises some cattle and hogs. Was elected by the Republican Party and served two terms in the Legislature. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Americus. Married Miss Emily Gordon, of Paris, Ill., in 1849, by whom he had four children, of whom Ella M. and Gertie M. are living. Emily died in 1858, and on April 7, 1860 he married Miss Elizabeth S. Kepner, of Plainview, Minn., by whom he has four children - Arthur K., Helen A., James H., and Maggie S.
OSCAR LAMBERT, farmer, Section 11, P. O. Americus, was born in Warren County, Ohio, May 19, 1828. His early life was spent upon a farm in his native county, upon which his father was born and raised. His grandfather came from Pennsylvania and settled in Ohio before a house stood on the present site of the city of Cincinnati, which was then occupied by a fort then called Fort Washington. In 1850 the subject of this sketch married and removed to Clay County, Ind., and engaged in farming. He remained in Clay County nineteen years. Not liking the character of the people who were his neighbors, he removed to Kansas in January, 1870, and was induced to locate in Lyon County by the statement made to him that there was not a liquor saloon in the county. He bought a farm of 185 acres on the Neosho River, one mile southwest of Americus, upon which he has since put $4,000 worth of improvements, including a fine brick dwelling. He has since given seventy acres of this farm to a daughter, and bought two other farms on Allen Creek, in Lyon County, which he has deed to his other daughters. He has added to his original purchase forty acres of pasture land. He now possesses a very fine, highly cultivated farm, and is one of the most successful and progressive farmers in the county. He has been a member of the board of education three years, and was elected in the fall of 1882 for another term of three years. He married Miss Sarah A. Fouch, of Warren County, Ohio, July 4, 1850, by which marriage he has had four children, of whom Lucy, Mary E., and Viola are living.
JOHN A. LAUGHLIN, farmer, Section 5, Township 18, Range 11, P. O. Americus, was born in Newcastle, Lawrence Co., Pa., February 27, 1828. He was brought up on a farm, and when sixteen years of age learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed in his native town until the summer of 1869, when he came to Kansas. He located on Allen Creek, in Americus Township, Lyon County, upon a farm of 160 acres which he had purchased three years previous. He has improved this farm by the erection of a fine dwelling, large barn, corn cribs, and other farm buildings. He has since purchased another improved farm of eighty acres, one and a half miles north of the home farm, which he rents. His farm is mostly bottom land, and is well cultivated, and is one of the most productive in the township. His principal crop is corn. He raises cattle and hogs quite extensively, Mr. Laughlin is a member of the I. O. O. F. He has been a member of the Township School Board five years. He married Miss Emeline Fields of Little Beaver, Pa., March 18, 1851, by which marriage he has had five children of whom Alice C., married to William Grimsley, of Americus; Robert S., Albert J. and David F. are living.
ELIAS B. LESH, merchant, was born in Perry County, Pa., January 9, 1840. He received an academic education and when eighteen years of age engaged in teaching. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted as a Corporal in Company E, Nineteenth Regiment Pennsylvania Cavalry, known as the Curtin Horse Guards, called into service to resist the raid into Pennsylvania by the Rebel Army of Northern Virginia under Gens. Lee and Early. He participated in several skirmishes with the enemy, but was engaged in no heavy fighting. Remained in service six months, then returned to his home and resumed teaching, in which he continued with exception of two years, when he was engaged in mercantile business until he came to Kansas in the spring of 1870. He then located in Americus and taught in the schools of Lyon and Chase counties for about six years. In the spring of 1877, in connection with his brother, Jacob W., he established a general store at Americus, under the firm name of Lesh Bros. They carry a stock of groceries, boots, shoes and notions. Mr. Lesh has been Township Treasurer two years and a member of the Board of Education three years. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Americus and a member of Americus Lodge, No. 28, A. O. U. W. He married Miss Mary E. Moreland, of Perry County, Pa., January, 1868, by whom he has two children - David K. and Charles M.
WILLIAM P. LEWIS, farmer, Section 29, Township 17, Range 10, P. O. Americus, was born in Blount County, Tenn., November 2, 1833. He was raised on a farm in his native county, where he resided until he came to Kansas in the fall of 1860. After spending the ensuing winter at Leavenworth, he located in Lyon County, then Breckinridge, and bought forty acres of unimproved land, situated on the Neosho River, five miles northwest of Americus. He has since purchased forty acres of reserve land and forty acres of trust land adjoining the original purchase. He has improved his farm by the erection of a dwelling, barn and other farm buildings. Has an orchard of 180 apple trees, 100 peach trees, and smaller fruits. His principal crop is corn. He raises some cattle and hogs. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis are members of the Society of Friends. He married Miss Nancy Beals, of Greene County, Tenn., December 22, 1852, by whom he had eight children, of whom Henry, Isaac, Daniel B., Samuel R., and Sarah A., are living. Nancy died April 2, 1872, and he married Mrs. Eliza Jane Hayden, of Baltimore, Maryland, December 11, 1872, by which marriage he has had two children, of whom Emma T., is living.
REV. FREDERICK D. LOY, pastor, Protestant Methodist Church, was born in Perry County, Pa., January 11, 1828. He was educated in Pennsylvania, and was ordained to preach in the Methodist Protestant Church before he was twenty-one years old. In 1847, he removed to La Salle County, Ill., and his first regular work in the ministry was here, upon a circuit extending over 400 miles of territory. In 1853, he removed to LaGrange County, Ind., and engaged in mercantile business and farming. Removed to Minnesota in 1856, and took a claim of 160 acres in Olmstead County, which he improved and resided upon until 1858, when he exchanged it for a farm of 160 acres in Winona County. Remained in Winona County, until 1864, when he disposed of his Minnesota property and came to Kansas, and located in Americus Township, where he bought a farm of 160 acres, which he improved and brought to a high state of cultivation. In 1870, sold 100 acres of this farm, and in the fall of that year he was elected president of the Kansas Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church. Was re-elected in the fall of 1872. He continued to preach until 1880, when he was disabled by a disease of the throat from active and regular work. He is now interested in mining operations in Colorado, but resides at Americus most of the year. Mr. Loy was Chaplain of the Eleventh Kansas Regiment of Militia during the war, and was with the regiment when called into service during the Price raid. Married Miss Susan Kepner, of La Salle County, Ill., February 7, 1855, by which marriage he has two children - Susie Amanda and Charles M.
JOHN W. LOY, farmer, P. O. Americus, was born in Perry County, pa., February 26, 1830. In 1847 he removed to La Salle County, Ill., where he resided until 1852, when he went to California by the Overland route, being six months on the journey. He engaged in mining there and in connection with his brother, Samuel A., owned a ranch in Yuba County; remained in California about three years, when he retuned via the Panama route and New York. He next engaged in general merchandising with his brother, Frederick D., at Van Buren, Ind. They sold out this business in 1856 and went to Minnesota with a drove of cattle and horses. John W. settled in Winona Co., Minn., where he bought two farms of 160 acres each. In 1858 he sold one of these farms and bought another of 160 acres in Olmstead County, upon which he located and remained two years. In 1869 he sold out his Minnesota farms and came to Kansas, locating in Americus, in Lyon County, and in the spring of 1861 he bought the John McLellan farm of 480 acres, which he resided upon and improved until June, 1870, when he sold it. In the same year he bought a farm of eighty acres adjoining the town site of Americus, upon which he removed and has since resided; has a fine residence and commodious barn and other farm buildings, upon this place. In the same year he bought a fine farm of 100 acres, for which he paid $50 per acre, and has since purchased nearly the remainder of the quarter section. He also has forty acres of timber and hay land, situated on the Neosho River. He was enrolled in the Eleventh Regiment, Kansas Militia, as First Lieutenant during the War of the Rebellion, and was called out and did efficient service at the time of the Price raid and several Indian raids and alarms. Was a member of the State Legislatures of 1863, 1875, 1876, and 1878. Is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Americus, and has been Superintendent of its Sabbath School for many years. Is a member of the order of A., F. & A. M., also a member of Americus Lodge, No. 28, A. O. U. W. Has held the office of Township Trustee and member of the School Board many years. Was appointed Regent of the State Normal School in April, 1881, for four years. He merits and receives the respect and esteem of all with whom he comes in contact, and the love of his neighbors, for many good works and benevolent deeds. He married Miss Jane Hodson, of Livingston County, Ill., November 27, 1856, and they have had five children, of whom Harvey A. and Ella R. are living.
SAMUEL P. McCAW, farmer, Section 10, Township, 18, P. O. Americus, was born in Chester District, S. C., March 24, 1833. When he was five months old, his parents removed to Preble County, Ohio, whence, after a residence of one year, they removed to Monroe County, Ind., where the subject of this sketch was raised on a farm, and remained with his father until 1856, when he went back to Ohio and remained two years with an older brother. In the spring of 1858 he came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County. In the spring of 1860, in connection with his brother, he purchased the saw-mill at Americus, and operated it until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Volunteers. He participated in all the engagements in which his company took part. Was mustered out at Fort Riley, August 10, 1865, and returned to Americus, where he engaged in general merchandising, as a member of the firm of Kitts & McCaw, which continued in business about two years. They then sold out the business, and engaged in farming, in which he has since continued. He has a farm of 170 acres on the Neosho, two miles west of Americus, upon which he has built a commodious brick dwelling, barn, granary and other farm buildings. He is a member of the United Presbyterian Church of Americus. Has been a member of the Board of Education many years. He married Miss Angie Cornella Clawson, of Lawrence, Kas., April 23, 1867, by whom he has had six children, of whom Annie M., George W., and Mary B., are living.
AARON MILLER, farmer, Section 9, Township 18, Range 11, P. O. Americus, was born in Wayne County, Ind., November 16, 1825. When he was about six years of age his parents removed to St. Joseph County, Ind., near South Bend, where he was brought up upon a farm, receiving a common school education. In 1847 he removed to Berrien County, Mich., where he engaged in farming, remaining there two years; then removed to Delaware County, Iowa, where he remained engaged in farming until the spring of 1857, when he came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County. He took a claim of 160 acres situated on the north bank of the Cottonwood, but soon after abandoned it and bought a claim adjoining, which he improved and farmed for thirteen years. In the fall of 1870 he sold this farm and bought a farm of 160 acres, situated on Allen Creek, three miles east of Americus. This farm he has since improved by the erection of a large dwelling house, barn and other farm buildings; planted an orchard of 275 apple trees and 100 peach trees, besides smaller fruits. His principal crops are corn and potatoes; also raises cattle and some hogs. He sold eighty acres of his farm in 1877, but still operates the other eighty. He married Miss Lavinia M. Roe, of St. Joseph County, Ind., November 16, 1847, by which marriage he has had eleven children, of whom George L., Elmer E., Effie E., and Martha A. are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are members of the Christian Church. He has been a member of the township Board of Education six years and has held other local offices. He was enrolled in the State militia during the Rebellion, and was called out at the time of the Price raid and during an Indian alarm.
JOSEPH A. MILLER, farmer, Section 17, Township 18, Range 11, P. O. Americus, was born in Beaver, now Lawrence County, Pa., August 19, 1845, and the following spring his parents removed to Lee County, Iowa, where they remained upon a farm until they came to Kansas in June, 1858. They stopped on Eagle Creek, in Lyon County, until October of that year, when they located on Allen Creek, Americus Township, upon a farm of 120 acres, where the subject of this sketch remained until September, 1863, when he enlisted as a private in Company E, Eleventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry. He participated in all the engagements in which his company took part from that time until his discharge. He was mustered out at Fort Riley, September 1, 1865, and returned to Lyon County and engaged in farming. In the spring of 1866, in connection with his brother Albert, he bought a farm of 124 acres, situated on Allen Creek, three miles northeast of Americus, which they improved and operated until the spring of 1880, when they traded it, paying the difference of valuation for an improved farm of 240 acres, situated on Allen Creek, three and one-half miles southeast of Americus. They have since made additional improvements upon this farm, have over 200 acres fenced and over 100 acres under cultivation; have an orchard of 150 apple trees and 50 peach trees, besides smaller fruits. They raise cattle and hogs; their principal crop is corn. Mr. Miller is a member of the order of A., F. & A. M. He held the office of Trustee of Americus Township in 1882, being elected in a strong Republican township, though he is a Democrat. He married Miss Susan L. Grimsley, of Americus Township, December 25, 1866, by which marriage he has had four children, of whom William E., Jessie E., and Ross F. are living.
ELIAS MOORHEAD was born April 14, 1844, in Licking County, Ohio, and nine year later his parents removed to Marion County, Iowa, whence after a residence of four years, they came to Kansas, locating in Lyon County. In the spring of 1857, his father bought a claim of 160 acres, situated on the Neosho River, about five miles northwest of Emporia. Upon this farm the subject of this sketch remained until August, 1882, when he enlisted as private in Company E, Eleventh Regiment, Kansas Volunteers. He participated in all the engagements in which his company took part, with the single exception of the battle at Lexington, Mo., being at that time unfit for duty, by reason of sickness. Was mustered out at Fort Riley, August 7, 1865. Returned to Lyon County, and engaged in farming, in which he continued until 1867, when he formed a partnership, with Mr. N. Wise, and for two years operated a saw-mill at Americus. He then sold his interest to his partner, and for two years after was engaged in carpentering.. He then engaged in house, carriage and sign painting at Americus, which business he has since followed. Mr. Moorehead has held the office of Constable of Americus Township five years, and is now serving his third term as Township Clerk, having been re-elected in February, 1883. He is a member of Americus Lodge, No. 109, A., F. & A. M. He married Miss Clara F. Wilkinson, April 25, 1872, and by this marriage has two children - George H. and Ina E.
JAMES O'BRYNE, farmer, Section 19, Township 17, Range 10, P. O. Dunlap, was born at Sandusky, Ohio, November 28, 1851. When he was seven years of age, his parents removed to Kansas, locating in Morris County, but they remained only about a year, then returned to Ohio, and resided in Greene County about eight years. In the spring of 1867, they came back to Kansas, locating upon a farm of 160 acres, situated on Diamond Creek, in Morris County. After contending with the grasshoppers one year, a prairie fire the next, and other adverse circumstances, the third year he decided to remove to another locality. In 1870, he removed to Lyon County. Here the subject of our sketch resided, engaged in railroading and other pursuits, until 1876, when he bought a farm of eighty acres on Wright's Creek, in Americus Township, which he has improved by the erection of a fine residence, large barn and other farm buildings. His farm is bottom land, and very productive. His principal crop is corn. He is also engaged in feeding and raising cattle and hogs. He married Miss Elizabeth J. Quinn, of Chicago, Ill., October 12, 1877, by whom he has one child, Mary. Mr. and Mrs. O'Bryne are members of the Catholic Church.