|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This flourishing town of twelve hundred inhabitants, the largest in Linn County, is situated on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, twenty-four miles north of Fort Scott. The surrounding country is valley, hills being visible at various distances in all directions.
The building of Pleasanton commenced in the summer of 1869, when the coming of the above-mentioned railroad was assured. There never was any town company organized, and the town site, which previously was owned by a considerable number of private individuals, seems to have been selected by common consent.
The town site was laid out in the summer of 1869, and the first town lot was sold in July. shortly after this time, a hotel was built on Main street by John Butler; William E. Talbott started a general store; Park & Vanzandt a hardware store; Dr. Bender a drug store; Kincaid & Co. a general store, and other businesses also were started before the railroad was completed to the town. There were built also a considerable number of small temporary dwelling houses, and the second hotel was erected by Morgan Ficus the same year. In the spring of 1870, larger and more commodious residences began to be built; one by Mr. Medberry, which was the first good house in town, and others in the north part of town, by William Hudsley, A. F. Hawley and John Haynes. The town grew very rapidly for the first three or four years, until it acquired a population of eight hundred, from which time until 1878 it made but little progress.
The first lawyers in Pleasanton were George Godfrey, M. N. Lewis, and W. P. Winfree, all of whom located before S. H. Allen, who came February 1, 1870. The first physician was R. J. Peare, in August, 1869; the second, Henry Plumb, in the fall. The first sermon in town was preached by Rev. John Kimsey, July 4, 1869.
City Government. - On the 29th of October, 1869, the town of Pleasanton was incorporated, and a Board of Trustees appointed, consisting of Dr. Henry Plumb, Edger M. Tucker, William E. Talbott, Charles T. Wheaton and Caleb Rhoades. An election was held October 25, 1870 for the purpose of completing the organization of the town as a city of the third class. D. W. Poak was elected Mayor, and C. A. Brackett, A. D. Hyatt, Fred. Wagner, J. R. Fairfield and M. Rainwater, Councilmen. Fred. Wagner was elected Clerk. The subsequent Mayors have been the following: S. Wade, elected in 1871; J. E. Whitman, in 1872 and 1873; Fred. Wagner, in 1874, 1875, 1876 and 1877; D. F. Park, 1878; S. H. Hibbs, 1879; B. F. Blaker, 1880; D. A. Crocker, 1881, and W. S. Everett, in 1882.
CHURCHES AND SCHOOLS.
The Presbyterian Church was organized in October, with nine members, by Rev. T. Y. Gardner, of Fort Scott. Rev. J. P. Harsen, who assisted at the organization of the church, was the first pastor, and remained eighteen months. The church was then without a pastor until 1874, when Rev. Jacob Baay was called and remained until 1879. Rev. J. H. Trussell commenced his labors in July, 1880, and remained until October, 1882. The church building, a frame one, was erected in the winter of 1869-70, and cost $2,500. The present membership is thirty-one. A Sunday school was organized in 1869; it has now one hundred and ten scholars enrolled, and sixty-five in average attendance.
Pleasanton Methodist Episcopal Church was organized April 26, 1870, by the election of trustees. Previously, there had been preaching by Rev. John Kimsey, on July 4, 1869, on top of Round Mound, and on the 25th of the same month by Rev. H. P. Satchwell, in "an unroofed, unfloored and unfinished building," which building was afterward known as the : Butler Hotel.: Pleasanton Mission was established March 23, 1870, by the appointment to it of Rev. H. P. Satchwell, who held his first services April 1, 1870, in the billiard hall under the Gulf Hotel. At the first meeting of the society, it was decided to build a parsonage, and a church building was also erected and dedicated that year. In order to accomplish these two objects, the society ran deeply into debt, and was consequently seriously embarrassed for a number of years. During the first part of Rev. Mr. Satchwell's pastorate, the Missionary Society was obliged to contribute $200 toward his support. Mr. Satchwell resigned in September on account of ill health, and Rev. S. S. Wetherby succeeded in October, and remained until March, 1871. Rev. C. F. Williams was now appointed and remained until August, 1872, Revs. S. Ayers and William Beeler filling out the year. Rev. James Murray was appointed in March, 1873, and remained two years. Rev. John Nelson followed and remained until 1877. Rev. C. T. Deboraw was pastor during 1878-79 and 1880, and was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. J. W. Walker in March, 1881. In the year 1879, a brick church building was erected at a cost of $2,600. The present membership is 125.
Public Schools. - The first school meeting in District No. 78, the Pleasanton district, was held February 19, 1870, and was organized by electing E. A. McGregor, Director Dr. Henry Plumb, Clerk, and D. W. Poak. The first annual meeting was held March 31. The first complement of teachers consisted of Theodore Botkin, Mary E. Botkin and Emma M. Adams, who commenced their first term of school in April. R. W. Blue succeeded Theodore Botkin as Principal of the schools in April, 1871, and was followed by R. B. Bryan in 1873; Theodore Botkin, in 1874; T. W. McKinnie, 1876; W. F. Kirkland, 1878; A. E. Beardsley, 1879; J. F. Hartshorn, 1880, and Mr. McCullough, 1882.
The school building, a three story brick, costing, including furniture, $18,000, was erected in 1871. It is situated on the summit of Round Mound, a small elevation in the west part of the town, about fifty feet high. It is a prominent object and commands an extended and magnificent view of the surrounding country. George B. Lord & Co. started a bank in 1870, and in a short time sold out to E. T. Coe & Co., who continued the business until 1872. During this latter year, Hood & Kincaid started their bank, and have since continued to do a general banking business. In 1881, they erected an elegant brick building at a cost of $3,500. The Pleasanton Library Association was organized in March, 1881. They have now one hundred and fifty volumes in the library, which is remarkably well patronized.
SOCIETIES AND THE PRESS.
Eureka Lodge, No. 88, A., F. & A. M., was chartered October 20, 1870. The charter officers were J. R. Vanzandt, W. M.; J. M. Haynes, S. W.; Peter Fellows, J. W.; H. H. Cox, Secretary, and J. W. Babb, Treasurer. The present membership is 34. Pleasanton Lodge, No. 65, I. O. O. F., was instituted October 7, 1870, with six members. Its charter officers were John Eifert, N. G.; F. H. Foot, V. G.; J. M. Taylor, Secretary; James Lacount, Treasurer, and J. W. Garrett, Reporter. Present membership, 32.
Pleasanton Lodge, No. 92, A. O. U. W., was organized February 6, 1882, with twenty-six members; the present membership is the same. The first officers were as follows: R. J. Peare, P. M. W.; N. W. Barnett, M. W.; J. W. Platt, Foreman; J. F. Conley, Overseer; J. L. Carnahan, Recorder; G. F. Horton, Financier; J. F. George, Receiver; E. L Williams, Guide; Charles Adams, Outside Watchman, and R. P. Akers, Inside Watchman.
Jewell Post, No. 3, G. A. R., was organized August 22, 1881, with thirty-six charter members. The first officers of the Post were N. W. Barrett, P. C.; George R. Page, S. V. C.; D. I. Whitman, J. V. C.; James Goss, O. D.; C. P. Lee, Surgeon; J. E. Whitman, Chaplain; H. H. McGlothlin, O. G.; J. H. Madden; Adjutant. The organization has now one hundred and one members and is in a flourishing condition. Morning Star Encampment, No. 1, I. C. R. C., was organized January 16, 1882, with twenty-seven members; its present membership is sixty. Its first officers were the following; W. H. Masters, E. C.; N. W. Barnett, E. Conn.; F. W. Baldwin, S. C.; J. W. Platt, C. H.; G. F. Horton, W. Secretary; J. W. Babb, F. Secretary; Mrs. L. A. Masters, W. Treasurer; Mrs. C. E. Stuckey, J. C.
This is the first encampment of the Independent Champions of the Red Cross organized in Kansas. The order had its origin in the Pacific coast in 1873; in 1875, encampments were organized in Colorado and at Cheyenne, Wyoming Territory, and in some other Western States about the same time. The Supreme Commandery is located at Denver, Colo. Both men and women are eligible to membership and to all the privileges of the order. The objects of the order are to promote temperance, to provide literary, musical and other elevating entertainments for its members, and there will ultimately be added to it a life benefit feature.
The Pleasanton Observer was started August 24, 1871, by L. K. Zook. In the spring of 1875, E. H. and J. A. Bacon took charge of the paper and published it until July 1, 1876, when E. H. Bacon sold out his interest to Dr. Henry Plumb. On the 1st of April, 1877, Dr. Plumb sold his share to J. A. Bacon, who, on June 10, 1880, sold out to D. S. and H. L. Capell, who still continue its publication.
The Linn County Press was started in 1869, by A. B. Bowman, who sold it to Winfree & Lewis. From them it was purchased by the Press Publishing Company, who ran it about a year and sold it to Mugford & Hughes, who moved it to Sumner County, Kan., in 1871.
The Pleasanton Herald was started April 21, 1881, by J. B. Voss. Mr. Voss continued its publication until September 8, 1882, when W. S. Platt took charge of the editorial department. The Herald is devoted to the interests of the National Greenback Labor Party, and with the exception of the Linn County Tribune which was published at La Cygne about one year (1878-79), is the only greenback paper ever published in the county. There has been no Democratic paper published in Linn County.
The Hammond Mill was built in the summer of 1869, and commenced running October 12. It is in the northwest part of the town, on Muddy Creek. It is a four-run mill, with a forty-horse power engine and a capacity of sixty barrels of flour per day. The building with its machinery cost $12,000. This mill was built and is still owned by William H. Hammond, and is noted for the manufacture of the "Golden Shear" brand of flour.
Pleasanton City Mills. - In the year 1870, a bonus of $1,000 and a mill site were offered by E. M. and C. H. Tucker, to any one who would build and operate for five years a grist mill in the southern part of the town. William Marshall & Sons, in the fall of the year, built the Pleasanton City Mills, and operated them until March 1, 1875, selling out at that time to Van Densen, Rohrer & Co., who ran the mills until January 1, 1876, when they were sold to King R. Powell. Mr. Powell ran them until January 1, 1880, when they were leased to Hewett & Smith six months, at the end of which time they passed into the hands of the present owners, Blaker Bros.
The mills are in a three story frame building, and consist of two run of stone, propelled by a forty-horse power engine, have a capacity of sixty barrels of flour per day, and cost $8,000.
Summary. - Since 1878, Pleasanton has been making gratifying and substantial progress. it now contains two general stores, two dry goods stores, five groceries, four drug stores, two stove and tin stores, two hardware stores, on clothing store, five blacksmith's shops, three wagon shops, three hotels, two lumber yards, three shoe shops, one elevator, one agricultural implement dealer, one book store, and about twenty other business houses. The population, March 1, 1882, was 1,114.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - POTOSI TOWNSHIP.
S. H. ALLEN, lawyer, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., March 19, 1847; was reared and educated in his native State and was admitted to the bar at Buffalo, that State, in 1869, where he engaged in the practice of his profession until 1870, when he came to Kansas and located at Pleasanton, where he immediately resumed his practice. In 1874, he was elected County Attorney, and is a candidate for Judge of the sixth judicial district of Kansas. He was married in Pleasanton, Kan., December 24, 1872, to Miss Lucina A. Smith. She was born in McHenry County, Ill. They have four children - Otis S., Emily P., Ellen A. and George S.
S. M. ALLEN, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Davis County, Ind., March 1, 1827. Was raised and educated in his native State, after which he located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until 1868, when he came to Kansas, located in Shawnee County, where he farmed for six years. He then removed to Labette County, Kan., where he followed the same business until 1880, when he sold his interest and located in Linn County on his present place of 172 acres. Married in Davis County, Ind., November 2, 1850, Miss Louisa A. McCormick, of Indiana. They have five children - Martha J., Mary E., Martin A., Margaret E. and Nannie.
S. ARMSBY, merchant, was born in Chester, N. H., March 31, 1847. When young he was taken by his parents to Faribault, Minn., where he was principally raised. He attended school at Millbury, Mass., for three years, and finished his course at Oberlin College, Ohio, in 1866. In 1864, he enlisted in Company D, Eleventh Regiment Minnesota Infantry, and was discharged in July, 1865, after which his time was occupied in teaching school for some time. In 1870, he came to Kansas, and first located at Mound City, Linn Co., where he was employed as a clerk for several years, when he settled in Pleasanton and in 1880 purchased a stock of hardware. He was married in Pleasanton August 26, 1878, to Miss Bell Whitman, of Missouri. They have two children - Alice L. and Sarah B.
SAMUEL ASHLEY, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Pleasanton, was born in Fulton County, Ill., April 19, 1847, where he was raised and educated. He soon after engaged in agricultural pursuits, until 1869, when he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County on his present place of 140 acres. He was married in Linn county, Kan., October 25, 1872, to Miss Lucinda Shoemaker, of Ohio. They have four children - George L., Oliver E., Susanna L. and Samuel. Mr. Ashley is a Democrat.
CHARLES S. ATKINS, Justice of the Peace, was born in Lawrence County, Ill., May 25, 1829. He was raised and educated in his native State, after which he engaged in agricultural pursuits for some time. He then served as second engineer on the Mississippi steamers for quite a while. In 1851, he returned to Illinois, and took an active part in building the Chicago & Rock Island Railroad. In 1858, he came to Kansas, and settled in Linn County. He was engaged in various pursuits until 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Second Regiment Kansas Infantry. He was discharged November 2, 1861, and re-enlisted November 29, 1861, in company D, Sixth Kansas Cavalry. Was re-enlisted as a veteran in same company December 2, 1863. During his term of service he was wounded the eighth time and lost his right leg at the battle of Massard Prairie, near Fort Smith, Ark. He was discharged in 1865. He then returned to Linn County and was elected Justice of the Peace in 1872, which position he still holds. He has been married the third time, first in Lawrence County, Ill., to Martha Pinkstaff. She died in 1849. The second marriage occurred in Linn county, Kan., December 6, 1860, to Miss Sarah A. Defreese, a native of Morgan County, Mo. She died August 13, 1880, and the third union took place at Mound City, Kan., January 25, 1881, to Miss Jennie A. Johnson. She was born in Harrison County, Ohio, in 1853.
WILLIAM H. ATKIN, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Pleasanton, was born in New York City, April 11, 1844. When young he was taken by his parents to Chicago, where he remained eight years. In 1855, he returned to New York, and was educated at Tarrytown, N. Y., completing his studies in 1858, after which he returned to Illinois and located on a farm in cook County, where he followed agricultural pursuits until 1861, when he enlisted in Company C, Thirteenth Regiment Illinois Cavalry, in which he served until the close of the war. He then returned to Cook County and engaged in farming until 1869, when he removed to St. Clair County, Mo., and engaged in farming until 1872. He then came to Kansas, and located in Linn County on his present place of 180 acres. He was married in Linn County, Kan., September 11, 1882, to Miss Doyer A. Boyer, of Indiana. They have one child, Catherine L.
N. W. BARNETT, notary public and Justice of the Peace, was born in Jessamine County, Ky., February 6, 1835. When he was young he was taken by his mother to Spencer County, Ind., where he remained for a short time, when he removed to Warrick County, Ind., where he received his education. In 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-fifth Regiment Indiana Infantry. During his service he was wounded the fourth time, and lost his left arm at the battle of Rivers Bridge, S. C., February 3, 1865, and was discharged May 30, 1865, after which he located in Princeton, Ind., where he served as City Marshal for five years. he then engaged in the insurance business until 1879, when he came to Kansas and located at Pleasanton. He served as City Marshal in 1881, and was elected Justice of the Peace in 1882. He was married in Warrick County, Ind., September 30, 1866, to Miss Mary J. Tindall, of Indiana. They have four children - Jesse R., Edgar J., Annie B. and Effie E.
JOHN BAUGH, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Pleasanton, was born in South Carolina October 12, 1814. He moved with his parents to Logan County, Ky., and was raised and educated there. He then engaged in farming for sometime, after which he learned the carpenter's trade. This he pursued for ten years. In 1856, he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County. He has served as Justice of the Peace. His estate consists of 170 acres of improved land. Was married in Hopkins County, Ky., April 9, 1840, to Miss Minerva G. Vickers, who was born in Hopkins County, Ky., March 25, 1821. They have eight children - Mary E., John W., Martha L., Millie M., Lydia V., Paulina C., Louisa N. and Julia F.
W. R. BIDDLE, lawyer, was born in Stark County, Ohio, November 22, 1840, and was educated at the Otterbein University and at the University of Michigan. At the breaking out of the war he proceeded to Washington City and enlisted in the Oneida Calvary company of New York, and participated in the battles of South Mountain, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Petersburg, and others of minor note, after which he spent one year in the law department of the Michigan University, and was admitted to the bar at Bucyrus, Ohio, in 1868; shortly afterward removed to Kansas and located at Mound City, where he commenced practice, which he still continues in Linn and the surrounding counties. In 1872, was elected County Attorney of Linn County. In 1875, he represented Linn County in the Legislature. In 1876, he was re-elected and made President of the Republican State Convention in 1878. During the same year served his third term in the Legislature. He was married at Mound City, Kan., May 8, 1870, to Miss Lauretta Streeter, a native of Bucks County, Penn. They have two children - Magdalena and Sue Ellen.
F. BLAIR, merchant, born in Fulton County, Ill., June 11, 1843, where he was raised until he was thirteen years of age, when he came to Kansas and first located in Miami County on a farm, where he remained until 1863, after which he located at Paola and learned the tinner's trade. In 1868, moved to Linn county and opened a hardware store at Trading Post, where he continued until 1871. His next permanent location was Pleasanton, where he still continues the hardware trade. Married, in Pleasanton, Kan., December 28, 1871, Miss Alice Allman. She was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, November 20, 1850. They have three children - Addie M., Frank L. and Lora A. Mr. Blair is identified with the Republican party.
B. F. BLAKER, of the firm of B. F. Blaker & Co., lumber and grain dealers, was born in Bucks County, Penn., December 3, 1844. He was reared and educated in his native State, after which he engaged in farming until 1870, when he came to Kansas and located at Pleasanton, where he engaged in the lumber and grain trade. They have yards at La Cygne, Blue Mound, Prescott and Sprague, Mo. They are also proprietors of the Pleasanton City Mills. He enlisted in 1863 in Company C, Twentieth Regiment Pennsylvania Cavalry, and re-enlisted in 1864 in Company C, Eight Pennsylvania Cavalry, where he served until the close of the war. He was married in Pleasanton, December 5, 1872, to Miss Adda Brabant, a native of Wisconsin. They have two children -Emma L. and Paulina.
J. F. CADY, liveryman, was born in Ripley County, Ind., July 27, 1841, and was educated in Mitchell County, Iowa. In 1857, he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County, where he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1877, when he located at Pleasanton, where he is engaged in the livery business. His estate consists of 110 acres conveniently located to Pleasanton; he was married in Linn County, Kan., September 8, 1862, to Miss Sarah C. Baugh; she was born in Kentucky January 3, 1842. They have five children - Laura A., James A., Henry H., William H. and Francis B.
D. S. CAPELL, the senior proprietor of the Pleasanton Observer, was born in Penn Yan, Yates Co., H. Y., in 1845. He left school to work at the case when but fifteen years old, and has followed the business ever since, holding the position of foreman in the Chronicle office in Penn Yan for sometime. He was married in Albany, N. Y., in 1871, to Miss H. L. Spencer. They came West in 1878, and in September, 1879, Mr. Capell assisted in establishing the Labette County Democrat. He sold out his interest the following spring, and in June, 1880, came to Pleasanton and bought the Observer. In this transaction Mrs. Capell figured as a partner, and the two are now conducting the business in partnership, D. S. Capell being the business manager, and H. L. Capell the editor.
DR. J. L. CARNAHAN was born in Tippecanoe County, Ind., August 14, 1843; he was raised and educated in his native State, having partially completed his studies at the Wabash College in 1861, at the age of seventeen years. He enlisted in the Tenth Indiana Battery, October 7, 1861, as a private. He was afterward promoted to Sergeant, in which position he served until the close of the war. After his return home from the war, he completed his education; he then entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, during the years of 1868 and 1869; he then located in Dayton, Ind., his native town, where he practiced for five years, when he removed to Fowler, Benton Co., Ind., where he remained until 1878, when he located at Frankfort, Ind., where he engaged in the practice of his profession for three years. In 1881, he came to Kansas and settled at Pleasanton, where he is actively engaged in the practice of his profession. He married in Dayton, Ind., October 20, 1869, Isabelle Toole, of Indiana, born June 10, 1844. They have three children - Aldercy, Lizzie and James A.
D. A. CROCKER, merchant, was born in Franklin County, Ind., August 30, 1834, where he was raised and educated; soon after he learned the carpenter's trade, which he pursued for a short time. In 1854, he moved to Martinsburg, Keokuk Co., Iowa, where he engaged in the mercantile trade for three years. He came to Kansas in 1857 and settled in Linn County, where his attention was directed to saw milling for quite a while. In 1860, he emigrated to Colorado and engaged in mining until 1863, when he returned to Linn County and engaged in farming until 1876. He then located at Pleasanton, where he is engaged in the hardware and implement trade. Mr. Crocker was County Commissioner two terms, and has served one term in the Legislature. He has been twice married, first in 1867, to Drusilla Botkin, of Ohio; she died in Linn County, Kan., in 1869. They had one child - Clara B. The second marriage occurred at Mound City, Kan., in 1871, to Miss Amelia Botkin, also a native of Ohio. She was born August 16, 1834.
S. DECKER, merchant, born in Henry County, Ind., August 31, 1832, where he was raised and educated, after which he located at Elizabeth, Henry County, Ind., where he was employed for two years in merchandising. He then moved to Greenfield, Ind., where he engaged in the mercantile trade for ten years. In 1870, came to Kansas, and settled in Pleasanton, where he is engaged in the grocery trade; carries a stock of $6,000, and is doing a business of $30,000 a year. He has been twice married, first in Winchester, Ind., in 1856, to Miss Lucy West. By this marriage they had three children - Emma, Henry C. W. and Ella. The second marriage occurred in Bates County, Mo., March, 1870, to Miss Julia A. Morrow. She was born in Rush County, Ind. They have one child, Ernest. Mr. Decker is a Republican.
B. ELLIS, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Barry County, Mo., October 7, 1825, and was taken when young by his parents to McLean County, Ill., where he was raised and educated; after which he moved to Linn County, Iowa, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits for fourteen years. In 1856, he moved to Linn County, Kansas, and in 1858 located at Mound City, Linn County, where he turned his attention to merchandising until 1872, when he settled on his present place. His estate consists of 1,035 acres of land and a half interest in the Linn County Bank, situated at La Cygne, Kan. He has been twice married, first in 1861, to Miss Mary A. Curtis, of Ohio, who died in Linn County, Kan., in 1876, leaving three children - Elmer E., John M. and Arthur W. The second marriage occurred in Linn County, Kan., September 18, 1872, Miss Mary Baker. She was born in Iowa, February 12, 1851. They have two children - Robert J. and Edna.
W. C. GARRATT, druggist, born in Linn County, Kan., February 11, 1859, where he was raised and educated; after which he was employed as clerk until 1882, when he began operation in his present business under the firm of Garratt & Willis. Married at Mound City, Kan., December 25, 1881, Miss Ollie Stucker. She was born in Jordan, Minn., in 1862. They have one child, Clive.
CHARLES GATES, farmer, Section 30, Range 25, Township 21, P. O. Pleasanton, was born in Ellington, Chautauqua County, N. Y., May 7, 1829. He was raised and educated there in his native State, after which he learned the carpenter's trade, which he pursued for many years. In 1854, he located in Erie County, Penn., and in 1857 returned to his native State, and in 1860 moved to Union City, Erie Co., Penn., and there he worked at his trade until 1869, and then he came to Kansas and located at Pleasanton, Linn County, where he engaged in the hardware and implement trade for four years, after which he settled on his present place. He was married in Ellington, N. Y., September 29, 1853, to Miss Eliza A. Stevens, of Vermont. They have two children - Ellen M. and Charlie E.
JOHN J. HARRIS, Postmaster, born in Philadelphia, Penn., November 29, 1842. Was raised in his native city until twelve years of age, when he removed with his parents to Zanesville, Ohio, where he worked as printer until 1855, when he located at Louisville, Ky., and was employed as clerk for some time. He then moved to St. Louis and was employed there as clerk for one year. In 1860, proceeded to Colorado, and engaged in mining until 1861, when he enlisted in Company B, First Regiment Colorado Cavalry, and was discharged November, 1865, after which he came to Kansas and located at Pleasanton, and engaged in the stationery trade. In 1876, was appointed Postmaster, which position he still holds. He has been twice married, first to Miss Lydia J. Whitson in 1864. By this union they have one child - Stella. The second marriage occurred at Pleasanton, May 30, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth McClure. They have two children - Maggie and Frank.
A. D. HYATT, real estate, born in Wayne County, Ind., December 3, 1833. He was raised and educated in his native State. Soon after emigrated to California, where his attention was principally occupied in hotel keeping with satisfactory results, for five years. In 1860 came to Lexington, Ill., and enlisted in Company G, Fourth Regiment Illinois Cavalry, as a private; soon after promoted Sergeant Major, and his second promotion to Captain, which position he held until the close of the war. He located in Linn County, Kan., in 1867, and was elected Probate Judge in 1879. He has served as Justice of the Peace for some time. He has been twice married, first in Natchez, Miss., July, 1865, to Miss Ollie Q. Walker, a native of Mississippi. She died in New Orleans, La., September, 1879. By this union they have two children - Robert W. and Glen C. He was married the second time to Miss Mattie E. Tansey, on April 11, 1880.
DR. C. P. LEE, born in Herkimer County, N. Y., October 29, 1827. Was raised and educated in his native State. He received an academic education at the Lewis County Academy, at Lowville, N. Y. In 1849, was a medical student in the office of John N. Heckerman, M. D., and was admitted into the medical department of the University of Michigan as a student during the years 1850-51-52, and graduated in 1854, after which he located at Belleville, Ohio, where he engaged in his profession for sixteen years. In 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Forty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private; was soon afterward promoted to Assistant Surgeon, and served with that rank until the close of the war. He then returned to Belleville, Ohio, where he remained until 1870. He then came to Kansas, and was appointed Assistant Superintendent of the Insane Asylum at Osawatomie, Miami County; was afterward appointed Superintendent, which position he held for two years. He located at Pleasanton in 1874. With the aid of $2,000, the Doctor is engaged in erecting a private insane asylum at Butler, Mo., which well be conducted on a charitable basis. he married in Seneca County, Ohio, May, 1857, Miss Sarah A. Sherky, of Ohio. They have four children - Effie, Elbia, Willard H. and Cubla K.
H. H. McGLOTHLIN, auctioneer, born in Tazewell County, Va., March 12, 1840. He moved with his parents to Kansas City in 1849, and was there raised and educated. In 1856, he located in Douglas County, Kan., on a farm, where he remained until 1861, when he went into the employ of the Government until he enlisted in Company K, Fifteenth Regiment Kansas Cavalry, as a private, and was mustered out in 1865 as First Sergeant, after which he located in Linn County, Kan., and engaged in saw milling, until 1870, when he located at Pleasanton, where he is engaged at his present business. He was elected Constable in 1870, and still holds that position. In 1878, he was appointed Deputy United States Marshal, and held the office four years. Married in Pleasanton, April 9, 1870, Mrs. R. W. Probasco, of Ohio.
J. H. MARTIN, lawyer, was born in Edgar County, Ill., September 28, 1836, and was educated at the Friends' Western Manual Labor school in Park County, Ind., having finished in 1860, after which he located in Park County, Ind., and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1863, when he moved to Marion County, Iowa, where he remained until 1865, when he came to Kansas and located in Franklin County for a short time. In 1868, he moved to Miami County, and during his residence was elected County Commissioner. He came to Linn County in 1879, and was elected the same year County clerk. He has been twice married, first in Park County, Ind., January 29, 1860, to Miss Charity, E. Morris, a native of Indiana, born August 10, 1844; she died January 16, 1870. By this marriage they had three children - Mollie E., Ida M. and Sarah J. His second marriage was in Miami County, Kan., July 30, 1871, to Miss Jennie E. Mitchell. She was born in Clearfield County, Penn., January 3, 1845.
GEORGE R. PAGE, merchant, born in Marengo, McHenry County, Ill., December 18, 1846. He was reared and educated in his native State. In 1863, enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment Illinois Infantry, and served for five months; after which he located at Harvard, Ill., and engaged in the mercantile trade for some time. In 1869, moved to Butler, Mo., where he remained a short time during the same year. Came to Kansas and settled in Linn County, where he engaged in the real estate business, until 1872. He then turned his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1881, when he located at Pleasanton and engaged in his present business. Mr. Page is at present Township Treasurer. He was married in McHenry County, Ill., to Miss Amelia M. Smith, October 1, 1867. They have six children - Mary E., Emma S., Genevieve C., George R., Laura P. and Lucina.
R. J. PEARE, M. D., born in County Wexford, Ireland, December 28, 1844. At the age of eleven years, he emigrated with his parents to Canada, where he received a common school education. In 1866, he came to the United States, and three years later took the degree of Doctor of Medicine, in the University of Michigan. He then located in Pleasanton, Linn Co., Kan., and commenced the practice of his profession. In 1874, he returned to his alma mater, where he remained two years in the special study of diseases of the eye and ear. In 1876, he visited Europe for the purpose of continuing these studies in the University of Berlin, where he remained about one year. He then returned to Kansas, and resumed his practice at Pleasanton. He was married in Kansas City, Mo., to Miss Nora Blue, of Grafton, W. Va., December 28, 1879. They have two children - Florence B. and Catherine A.
W. B. PERRY, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Robinson County, Tenn., March 22, 1827, was taken by his parents when young to Williamson County, Ill., where he matured to manhood, and was educated, after which he engaged in farming which he followed until 1854, when he emigrated to Kansas, settling in Linn County, being one of the first settlers in the county. He moved to his present place in 1857. His estate contains 320 acres of fine farming land. Married in Williamson County,. Ill., January 14, 1846, Diathia Spillers, of Illinois. They have seven children - Richard E., Fremont F., Mary, Annie, Charley O., Lizzie and Alford.
W. S. PLATT, editor of the Pleasanton Herald was born in Allen County, Ind., January 4, 1854. In an early day with his parents he emigrated to Iowa, and at the close of the war to Missouri. He came to Kansas in 1868, and settled in Linn County. He was brought up principally on the farm. Received a normal course at the State Normal School at Leavenworth. Graduated at the Kansas Normal School and Business Institute with the class of 1879. Took charge of the Herald as its editor in September, 1882.
JAMES RICKARD, confectioner and baker, born in Bucks County, Penn., November 2, 1844. He was reared and educated in his native State, and soon after learned the art of bricklaying, which he pursued for twenty-one years. He came to Kansas in 1879, and settled at Mound City, where he worked at his trade until 1881, when he moved to Pleasanton, and engaged in his present business. He was married in Doylestown, Penn., October 5, 1868, to Miss Julia Shaw, of Bucks County, Penn. They have had seven children - Eva, Flora, Lenos, Eddie, William and Maggie, and Nellie, deceased.
A. D. ROOT, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Susquehanna County, Penn., September 11, 1833, was raised and educated in his native State. Soon after, he learned the blacksmith and wagon trade, which he pursued for eight years. In 1859, he moved to Lee County, Iowa, where he worked at his trade until 1862, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County, on his present place. His estate consists of 1,000 acres. He served during the late rebellion in Company B, Second Regiment Iowa Infantry, and was discharged on account of disability. He has been twice married, first in Susquehanna County, Penn., in 1854, to Miss Caroline A. Dickey. She died in 1877. By this marriage they have five children - Florence A., Frank A., Willina, Nellie G., George D. and Charles H. The second marriage took place in Linn County, Kan., February 21, 1878, to Mrs. Harriet A. Henshaw. By this marriage they have one child- Alva. Mr. Root is identified with the Republican party.
ISAAC SERIGHT, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Pleasanton, born in Decatur County, Ind., October 30, 1837, where he was raised and educated, after which his time was spent working on his father's farm until 1857, when he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County on his present place of 200 acres, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. he has served as Township Treasurer for fifteen years. Married in Linn County, Kan., July 7, 1861, Miss Mary E. Ford. They have four children - James H., John M., Eddie L. and Lillie M. Mr. Seright is a Greenbacker.
E. M. TUCKER, merchant, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, October 5, 1836; was there raised until the age of twelve years, when he moved to Bucyrus, Crawford Co., Ohio, where he completed his studies, after which he was a dry goods clerk for many years. In 1855, he moved to Minooka, Grundy Co., Ill., where he was appointed Postmaster through friendship of Stephen A. Douglas, until 1858, when he came to Kansas and settled in Linn County, and engaged in agricultural pursuits for some time. In 1866, he located in Mound City, Kan., where he engaged in merchandising until 1869, when he settled at Pleasanton, where he is engaged in his present business. He has been married three times, first near Mound City, Kan., August 17, 1864, to Miss M. J. Davis; she died September 4, 1866. By this union they had one child - Lottie E. The second marriage also occurred at Mound City, May 8, 1867, to Miss Sarah A. Tansey; who died April 11, 1877. They had four children by this marriage -Frank M., Charles C., Walter L. and George C. The third marriage took place at Pleasanton, February 2, 1879, to Mrs. M. E. Fahnestock, of Lafayette, Ind.
H. WAYMIRE, jeweler, born in Madison, Ind., December 25, 1847, was raised and educated in his native State, after which he located at Elwood, Ind., where he engaged in the drug trade, which he pursued until 1877, when he came to Kansas and located at Pleasanton, where he pursued the drug business until 1882. Disposing of his interest, he opened a jeweler's establishment. In 1864, he enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Regiment Indiana Infantry, and was discharged the same year. Married, in Anderson, Ind., April 29, 1869, Miss Maggie Halfin. She was born in Virginia March 23, 1848. They have one child - Dora R. Mr. Waymire is a Republican.
R. H. WOODINGTON, merchant, born in Bucks County, Penn., November 22, 1854. He was raised and educated in his native State; was soon after employed as a clerk in the mercantile trade until 1880, when he came to Kansas and settled in Pleasanton, Linn County, where he was employed as a clerk for two years. In 1882, he became a partner in the firm of Woodington & Wier. Married, in Bucks County, Penn., September 24, 1878, Miss Harriet F. Tomlinson, of Bucks County, Penn. They have one child - Fred. Mr. W. is a member of the Republican party.
H. C. WORLAND, druggist, born in Medina, N. Y., August 7, 1844, where he was reared and educated. In 1865, he moved to Bushnell, McDonough County, Ill., where he engaged in the grocery trade for about four years. He came to Kansas in 1869, and located at Pleasanton, where he is engaged in the drug trade. He served through the late rebellion in Company D, Twenty-eighth Regiment New York Infantry. Married at Mound City, Kan., June 25, 1879, Miss Esther B. Bartleson, of Iowa.