|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This town is beautifully situated south of the center of the county, on second bottom land, north of the valley of Little Sugar Creek. It is tolerably well shaded with cultivated trees, and surrounded on the east, south and west by an amphitheater of wooded hills about seventy-five feet high, and on the north by the picturesque valley of the Little Sugar. It derives its name from its proximity to "Sugar Mound," a little to the east, which in the early days was a noted landmark, and where, in the spring of 1855, there was kept a little Pro-slavery grocery by a Mr. Miller, and where the first post office in Linn County was established, Dr. Isaac B. Stockton being the Postmaster.
In the spring of 1857, Dr. J. H. Trego, Edwin and T. E. Smith moved into the vicinity of Mound City, and by the following fall had erected a sawmill on the Little Sugar, at a spot where now stands Van Buskirk & Sons' flouring mills. Trego & Smiths had their saw mill running by the spring of 1858. The town site of Mound City was located by D. W. Cannon and Ebenezer Barnes in 1855, and afterward the town company was increased to twenty persons, and organized in 1857, with Charles Barnes, President, Dr. H. H. Trego, Secretary, and T. E. Smith, Trustee. Ezra H. Smith was a member of the Town Company, as were also four persons named Danford from Geneva, Ill. The town site consisting of 240 acres, was surveyed by N. J. Roscoe, in 1857, and was used for a dwelling. It was of logs. The next building was a frame one erected by Charles Barnes, and occupied for a store and post office, Mr. Barnes being the first Postmaster at Mound City. This building was completed January 30, 1858. The lumber for this store was sailed at Trego & Smiths' mill. A few months thereafter, James F. Matheny completed a boarding house. In April, 1858, Edwin Smith and Dr. Trego each completed a dwelling house, and in June, T. E. Smith completed his, these being the first three frame residences erected. In the summer, W. H. Barnes started the first blacksmith shop.
The first physician in Mound City was Dr. Lee, who came in 1856; the first lawyer, Addison Danford, in 1857; the second, J. F. Broadhead, in 1858. A. A. Johns was the first teacher, who taught in the winter of 1858-59, in the Town Hall erected in the summer of 1858. The first sermon preached here was in the spring of 1855, by Elder Mark Robertson, a Methodist minister. Rev. Josiah Terrell, a United Brethren minister, preached in 1857.
The first birth was that of John F. Barnes, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Barnes, October 3, 1858; the first marriage, that of J. S. Atkinson to Miss Maria Mannington, in 1858, and the first death, that of Ebenezer Barnes, October 17, 1858. The first Fourth of July celebration was held at Sugar Mound in 1858. At least one thousand people were present, having come from all directions many miles. W. P. Tomlinson was Orator of the Day. A grand barbacue (sic) was a notable feature of the celebration, but the ox that was roasted proved too small to feed the assembled multitude.
The Methodist Church was organized in Mound City at an early day, but the records of the church being lost, but little of its history prior to 1870 can be learned. In that year, they erected a neat frame church building at a cost of $1,500, and are the only church that has kept up regular religious services throughout their history. This they have been enabled to do through their itineracy (sic) system. The other churches having but few members have each found the support of a minister too great a burden to bear. The Baptists have a substantial brick church, erected in 1867, at a cost of about $4,000, and the Congregationalists have a good frame church building erected in 1867 at a cost of $2,700. The expense of building this church, and of sustaining it since, has been borne to a considerable extent by persons outside of all church connection.
The United Brethren commenced the erection of a church edifice in 1863; but becoming financially embarrassed when the frame only was completed sold it to a Ladies' Enterprise Association, which completed the building and converted it into a free church and schoolhouse. In 1866, it was purchased by the county, and when the county seat has been in Mound City, it has been used as the court house.
City Government. - The government of the city was placed in the hands of a Board of Trustees, December 27, 1870. The first board consisted of T. Ellwood Smith, Chairman; E. W. Bartleson, S. L. Ives and W. R. Biddle.
W. R. Biddle was elected Clerk. The form of government was changed to a city of the third class June 20, 1871, at which time S. M. Brice was elected Mayor, and George B. Dennison, T. E. Smith, C. H. Richardson and D. F. Park., Councilmen. The first meeting of this council was held June 29, 1871. The subsequent Mayors and the dates of their election are as follows: C. H. Richardson, 1872; S. H. Hibbs, 1873; O. P. Watson, 1874-75; Edward R. Smith, 1876; E. W. Bartleson, 1877; Robert Kincaid, 1878; O. P. Watson, 1879; e. W. Bartleson, 1880; E. F. Campbell, 1881; Robert Kincaid, 1882.
Mound City at Present contains three general stores, two hardware stores, two drug stores; one stove and tin shop, one grocery, one bank, one lumberyard, four blacksmith shops, three carpenter shops, three hotels, one furniture store, two wagon shops, one good stone schoolhouse, built at a cost of $6,000, and a population of 550.
The Press. - The Border Sentinel was commenced April 1, 1864, by J. T. & J. D. Snoddy. J. T. Snoddy died on the 21st of the same month, and J. D. Snoddy continued the publication of the paper until March 25, 1865. At this time Frank B. Smythe became associated with Mr. Snoddy, and on May 25 took full control of the paper, continuing until October 13, when Mr. Snoddy again assumed control. On the 24th of August, 1866, Joel Moody bought the paper and published it until March 28, 1868, when he sold it to Nathan G. Barter, who continued its publication until January, 1874, when it was removed to Fort Scott. The Linn County Herald, the first paper published in the county, was started at Mound City, April 1, 1859, by Jonathan Lyman; after being published one year the name was changed to the Mound City Report, and J. F. Broadhead became editor. In the spring of 1861, R. B. Mitchell bought the press, moved it to Mansfield and started the Mansfield Shield and Banner. This paper was published by Mr. Lyman until the spring of 1862, when it was suspended, and the press sold and moved to Baldwin City. The Linn County Enterprise was started by J. J. McCallum, April 1, 1873. July 4, 1875, he sold one-half interest to W. C. Hanchett, and on the 11th of November the press was sold to T. L. Darlow, of Pleasanton. In January, 1876, J. C. Cannon and T. B. Van Buskirk, bought the press and started the Linn County Clarion, February 1, with Dr. S. M. Brice editor. Dr. Brice bought Cannon out January 1, 1877. Brice & Van Buskirk continued the publication of the Clarion until they sold it to R. B. Bryan, its present editor.
Societies. - Mound City Lodge, No. 33, A., F. & A. M., was chartered October 17, 1860, with eight members. The charter officers were as follows: Oscar Dewey, W. M.; C. S. Wheaton, S. W.; James M. Iliff, J. W. The present membership of the lodge is thirty-nine.
Magnolia Lodge, No. 20, I. O. O. F., was instituted May 3, 1866, with nine charter members. The first officers were: Jefferson Fleming, N. G.; N. M. Hawk, V. G.; John A. Lefker, R. S.; Jesse Brown, P. S.; and J. K. Anthony, Treasurer. Present membership of the lodge forty-nine.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALEXANDER - DURBIN).
P. D. ALEXANDER, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Mound City, born in Gibson County, Ind., November 17, 1824, where he was reared and educated, after which he located on a farm in his native county and followed agricultural pursuits until 1849, when he removed to Illinois and located in Tazewell County, where he engaged in farming until 1865, when he came to Kansas and located in Linn County on his present place of 160 acres. He has been twice married, first in Gibson County, Ind., January 25, 1849, to Ophelia Burlin. She died November 26, 1860. By this union they have five children - Emily, Laura, Joseph D., Ada A. and Alma O. He was also married the second time in Gibson County, Ind., February 16, 1865, to Arabella Tucker, of Tennessee. She was born march 21, 1836. They have one child, - Mary A.
E. F. BARNES, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Mound City, born in McLean County, Ills., May 4, 1838. He removed with his parents to Linn County, Kan., in 1855, and completed his education at Mound City, Kan. He then entered his father's store in Mound City, where he was employed as clerk for two years. In 1859, he located on his present place, where he is engaged in farming and stock raising. Married at Mound City, Kan., October 6, 1861, Sarah M. Allen, of Pennsylvania. They have four children - Walter, Ella A., Charles D. and Frank. Mr. Barnes is identified with the Republican party.
CHARLES BARNES, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Mound City, born in McLean County, Ills., February 19, 1832. Was raised and educated in his native State, after which he located on a farm in his native county and followed agricultural pursuits until 1855, when he removed to Kansas and located in Linn County on his present place of 350 acres. Mr. Barnes is one of the first settlers of Linn County. Was elected County Commissioner in 1858, and served two years. he was married in McLean County, Ills., April 7, 1853, to Mary A. Johnston, of Ohio. They have four children - Sarah R., John F., James E. and Dalsey B.
N. E. BARTHOLOMEW, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Mound City, born in Wallingtonford, Conn., June 17, 1826, where he was raised until eleven years of age, when he removed with his parents, to Peoria County, Ills., where he completed his education. Soon after engaged in farming, which he pursued until 1866, when he came to Kansas and located in Mound City, Linn County, where he engaged in mercantile pursuits for two years. In 1868 he purchased his present place of 280 acres, where he is engaged in farming and stock raising. He married in Peoria, Ills., December 25, 1848, Miss Cornelia Kellogg, of Massachusetts. They have five children - Francis L., Jennie E., Flora A., Florin A. and Noyes O.
E. W. BARTLESON, druggist, born in Philadelphia, Penn., January 9, 1837. When young was taken by his parents to Berkeley County, W. Va., where he was raised and educated, soon after engaging in farming until 1855, when he moved to Louisa County, Iowa, where he engaged in civil engineering for some time. He then located at Center Point, Linn County, Iowa, where he engaged in mercantile pursuits until 1862, when he enlisted in Company B, Twentieth Regiment Iowa Infantry, as a private, after which he was promoted Sergeant, which position he held until the close of the war, when he came to Kansas and located at Mound City, and first engaged in the dry-goods trade until 1871; disposing of his stock of goods, he began operations in his present business. Mr. Bartleson has served as Mayor and held other city offices of minor note. He was married at Centre Point, Iowa, December 25, 1860, to Miss Marion A. Brice, of Iowa. They have five children - Esther B., Gracie, Nellie, Sadie and Jessie.
G. W. BOTKIN, County Treasurer, born in Clarke County, Ohio, November 23, 1835. Was raised and educated in his native State, having completed his education at Sidney, Ohio. Soon after, located near Springfield, Ohio, where he taught school for five years. In 1861, he enlisted in Company C, First Kentucky Infantry, as a private; afterward promoted First Sergeant, which position he held until he was discharged in 1864. In 1866, he came to Kansas, and located at Mound City, where he was Principal of the Mound City school for two years. he was elected County Superintendent in 1867, when he served three consecutive terms. he then removed to La Cygne, Kansas, where he was Principal of the city schools for three years, during which he was conducting institutes throughout the State. In 1881, was elected County Treasurer. Married in Clarke County, Ohio, July 28, 1864, Miss Carrie Baker. She was born in Ohio, in 1840.
THEO. BOTKIN, attorney, born in Clarke County, Ohio, June 25, 1846, where he was raised until the age of fifteen, when he enlisted in Company F, Forty-fourth Regiment Ohio Infantry, and served through the war. He then returned to his native county, where he remained a short time. In 1865, came to Kansas, and settled in Linn County, where he completed his studies. Soon after, taught school for some time, and in 1870, located at Pleasanton; organized the city school, of which he was Principal for four years. In 1875, located at Mound City, and opened his present office, and was admitted to the bar during the same year. During his residence at Pleasanton, was elected Probate Judge, and also served as Police Judge of that city. Married at Mound City, Kansas, July 28, 1872, Ellen M. Broadhead. They have two children - Ethel and Clyde J.
N. L. BOWMAN, County Surveyor, born in Shelby County, Illinois, December 22, 1858, where he was reared and educated until the age of thirteen years, when he moved with his parents to Linn County, Kan., receiving the benefits of the country schools until 1876, when he entered the Lane University of Kansas, remaining until 1878, when he attended the State Normal school at Lawrence, Kan., for one term, when he returned to Lane University, graduating in 1880. In 1881, was elected County Surveyor. Mr. Bowman is identified with the Republican party.
DR. S. M. BRICE, born in Clark County, Ky., January 1, 1815; remained in that State until 1835, when he emigrated with his father to Carroll County, Ill., and remained one year; went to Van Buren County, Iowa, and remained until 1840, when he returned to Carroll County, Ill., where he remained until 1843. During this period of his life he had been engaged in farming, but for the last seven years had been preparing himself for the medical profession. Having completed his studies, he went to Linn County, Iowa, and entered into practice, where he remained until 1863, when he came to Linn County, Kan., and located on a farm two miles from Mound City. Sold his farm and moved to Mound City in 1867, where he now resides. he withdrew from active practice in 1870, and entered the drug trade with his son-in-law, W. W. Bartleson. Sold out to his partner in 1878. In 1875, he became editor of the Linn County Clarion, published at Mound City by J. C. Cannon and T. B. Van Buskirk. He bought Cannon's interest in 1876, and continued as editor and joint proprietor until December, 1879, when the firm sold the paper to R. B. Bryan, its present proprietor. Since that time he has been engaged in the boot and shoe trade, and in the preparation and publication of a book entitled "Financial Catechism and History of the Financial Legislation of the United States from 1862 to 1882," the first edition of which is just from the press. The Doctor has represented his district twice in the State Legislature, first in 1866, and again in 1871. He was married to Miss Esther Tolman, a native of Maine, in Van Buren County, Iowa, July 31, 1838. They have one child living, a daughter - Marion Alice, who is married to E. W. Bartleson.
J. B. BROADHEAD, deceased, born in Yorkshire, Eng., April 4, 1826; removed to America with parents when young, and settled at Hudson, N. Y., where he remained until 1832, when he removed to Chautauqua County, N. Y., when he completed his education, having finished at Jamestown Academy, after which he taught school four or five years then learned the printer's trade, and soon became interested in the Northern Citizen, and afterward owned an interest in the Liberator, the first Abolition paper published in Chautauqua County. After being engaged for many years in the newspaper business, he moved on a farm in Chautauqua County; remained there until 1856, when he went to California and engaged in mining for two years, with satisfactory results. He then returned to his adopted State; remained there until 1858, when he came to Kansas and settled near Mound City, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits and stock-raising until his decease. He was elected to the Legislature in 1863. Married in Jamestown, N. Y., September 1, 1850, H. Maria Smith. She was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., November 30, 1831. They have two children - Ellen M. and Mary F.
R. B. BRYAN, editor Linn County Clarion, was born in Hancock County, Ohio, August 1, 1842; son of Dr. E. L. Bryan, one of the early settlers of that county; moved to Iowa in 1852, where he continued to reside until 1861, when he entered the Third Iowa Infantry as a private. Was discharged from that regiment in September, 1862, and entered the Seventh Wisconsin Infantry as a private, being promoted to a Lieutenancy in 1865. Came to Kansas in 1869; followed teaching from 1865 to 1874, when he was elected Superintendent of Public Instruction of Linn County, Kan., which position he held four years. He was Principal of the public schools of Mound City from the close of his term of office until December 16, 1879, at which time he became proprietor of the Linn County Clarion.
D. W. CANNON, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Mound City; born in Barron County, Ky., April 3, 1814; was raised and educated in his native State, after which he located at Glasgow, Ky., where he engaged in mercantile pursuits, which he followed for about six years. He then located on a farm in Barron County, Ky., and followed agricultural pursuits for some time. In 1845, removed to St. Charles County, Mo., where he settled on a farm and remained until 1854, when he came to Kansas and located on his present place of 200 acres, situated near Mound City. In 1857, was elected Probate Judge, and served two years. During the late rebellion served in the State militia. Married, in Gibson County, Ind., April 26, 1849, Nancy H. Walhalk of Kentucky. They have two children - John C. and Theresa.
JOHN H. CARTMELL, Deputy County Treasurer, born in Clarke County, Ohio, February 15, 1837, where he was raised until seventeen years of age, when he removed with his parents to White County, Ind., and finished his studies at the State University of Indiana, after which he located near Monticello, where he taught school until 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, Twelfth Regiment Indiana Infantry; served in his company eighteen months, and afterward served on detached duty in the Commissary Department until the close of the war; he then returned to Monticello, Ind., taught school for one year, then engaged in farming until 1870, when he came to Kansas, and first settled at Paola, Miami County, where he followed mercantile pursuits for two years. He then removed to Linn County and settled in Lincoln Township, where he engaged in farming and breeding fine horses, etc. He was appointed to his present position in 1882. Married in White County, Ind., February 21, 1868, to Anna Patterson, of Indiana; they have three children - Pearl, William and Lou A.
WILLIAM COX, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Mound City, was born in Somersetshire, England, November 7, 1835, where he was reared and educated. He was raised a farmer and pursued that occupation until 1856; he then removed to America and first located in Lake County, Ill., where he remained for three or four years engaged in farming. In 1859 he came to Kansas, and remained a short time in Leavenworth County; he then removed to Linn County and located at Mound City, where he engaged in various pursuits for three years. In 1863 he settled on his present place of 400 acres, where he is engaged in farming and stock-raising. He served in the late rebellion in Company C, Sixth Kansas Cavalry. Was married in Linn County, Kan., September 8, 1862, to Margaret Thompson, of Ohio; they have eight children - Nellie, Jessie, Sidney, Mary, Maggie E., Willie E., Annie E. and Ida M.
AMOS DURBIN, farmer, Section 10 P. O. Mound City, born in Greenup county, Ky., July 4, 1913. Removed with his parents to Johnson County, Ind., where he was raised and educated; after which he engaged in farming, which he followed until 1839, when he moved to Illinois and located in Winnebago County on a farm, farming until he came to Kansas in 1860, and located in Linn County on his present place of 214 acres. He was married in Johnson County, Ind., November 7, 1837, to Margaret Featherengill; she was born in Oldham County, Ky., February 6, 1820.