|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
GEORGE W. ANDERSON, editor and proprietor Lincoln County Register, was born on board the ship Wycliffe, 300 miles northeast of the harbor of New York, in September, 1846. His parents, on arriving in the United States, located in Morgan County, Ohio, where they lived until 1856, when they removed to Grant County, Wis., where his father died in 1859, and from then until 1861 he made his home with his guardian until the breaking out of the war, when, in June, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company M, Fifth Missouri Cavalry, for three years. He engaged in the battles of Pea Ridge, Ivy Farm, Guntown and Tupelo. He was wounded in the hand, face and thigh, and was discharged as Quartermaster-Sergeant, October, 1864, at St. Louis, Mo., when he returned to Wisconsin, where he was principal of the graded school of Muscoda for three years, when he moved to Mitchell County, Kan., where he homesteaded a farm and carried on farming until the spring of 1875, when he moved to Beloit, Kansas, where he bought the Gazette office and was its editor and proprietor until 1879, when he sold out his paper in Beloit and moved to Lincoln, Kan., and bought the Lincoln County Register, and is to date its publisher and proprietor. He was married in 1866 to Miss Mary Townsend, of Woodman, Wis., and to them have been born four children - Caddie, Gracie, Roy and Max.
E. B. BISHOP, dealer in flour, meal and grain, established his present business in Lincoln, Kansas, Jan. 1, 1883. Was born in Scotland, Oct. 16, 1826. At an early age his parents came to the United States and located in Kentucky, where they lived for three years on a farm, when they moved to McDonough County, Ills.(sic) where the family lived until 1870. E. B. was brought up as a farmer, which business he followed until 1870, when he came to Kansas and located in Salina, where he clerked in a hardware store until 1873 when he moved to Lincoln, Kans., and established the first hardware store in the county, which he run (sic) until the winter of 1874 and '75, when he sold out and has since been engaged in farming until he established his present business. Was married Feb. 13, 1858, to Miss Sarah Beard, of Burlington, Iowa. He is a member of long standing of the I. O. O. F.
CHARLES J. BROWN, banker, was born in Medford, Mass., May 10, 1846, where he resided until 1852, when his parents moved to Bryant's Pond, Mass. During his residence at Bryant's Pond he attended Bowdoin College for four years , from which he graduated. Then, in 1869, he came west and located in Beloit, Kan., and in 1872 engaged in the real estate business with Mr. Levi Cooper, which he followed until 1880, when he removed to Lincoln, Kan., where he was a land and loan agent until the spring of 1881, when, in connection with A. U. Schuster of St. Joe, Mo., and H. T. Walker, of Beloit, Kan., they established the Saline Valley Bank. The capital of bank is $50,000 and the deposits to amount of $15,000. Do a general banking business, making loans and collections and dealing in foreign and domestic exchange, with C. J. Brown as Cashier. Mr. Brown is also largely interested in the cattle interest of the county; has now 165 head, 45 of which he is feeding for market. Was County Surveyor, Mitchell County, for five years. Representative to State Legislature from Mitchell County, Kan., 1879 and 1880.
W. W. DAVIS & SON, grocers, located in Lincoln, Kan., in 1874, and established a general merchandising establishment, which they conducted for two years, when they sold out and moved on a farm where they lived for four years, when they came back to Lincoln and established their present place of business, where they carry a full and complete and well- selected stock of fancy and staple groceries. The senior member of the firm was born in Kentucky in 1828. During the time previous to his coming to Kansas he lived in Missouri, Texas, Nebraska and Arkansas, visiting the celebrated watering places and medical institutions for his health. The junior member of the firm, Frank Davis, was born in Lincoln, Nebr., Nov. 22, 1860, and at present is a member of his father's family (as he is single), and has in all of the moves made by his father been with him. W. W. Davis was married to Miss Mary Graham, of Missouri. Six children - Fanny F.(now Mrs. Bryant), Frank M., Maud, Florence, Willie and Anna.
N. C. FANCHER, physician, settled in Lincoln, Kan., in the spring of 1880, where he has since been engaged in the practice of his profession. He was born in Overton County, Tenn., Jan. 18, 1835, where he was brought up as a farmer's boy until 1850, when he went to Harrison County, Mo., where he again farmed until 1862, when he enlisted as a private in Company G, Sixth Missouri S. Militia, and was discharged as a private, April 20, 1865. During his term of service he participated in nearly all the battles of any importance in Missouri, of which the following are a few of them: Engagement with Porter on H. & St. Joe R. R., battle of Humansville, Mo., where Joe Shelby and Quantrell were handsomely whipped, battle of Pineville, Berryville, second battle of Fort Smith, Buffalo Valley, and drove Pap Price from Raleigh to Jefferson, Elm Creek and many others of less importance. After his discharge from the army he returned to Harrison County, Mo., where he visited friends for one year, when he went to Kansas City, Mo., where he engaged in contracting as a brick and stone mason and plasterer until 1869, when he met with an accident, breaking his leg, compelling him to give up his trade, when he purchased a stock of drugs and located in what was then New Chicago, Kan., the first stock of drugs in the town, where he conducted his business and read medicine under Dr. Sweeney, of the same place, until 1873, when he moved to Sumner County, Kan., where he took up a farm, where he resided as a farmer and a doctor until April, 1879, when he came to Lincoln, where he has since been in the practice of his profession; attended lectures at the Medical College of Kansas City, Mo. He is a member of the Eclectic Board of Physicians of Kansas. He was married to Miss Rebecca Sams, in April, 1857. They have one child - James D. Dr. Fancher is a member of the Order of S. K. G. A. U.
GEORGE W. FINCH, prosecuting attorney, was born in Clay County, Ill., June 21, 1849, where he resided until he was eight years of age, when his parents went to Noblesville, Ind., where he lived for two years, when he returned to Clay County, Ill., where he attended public school until 1869, when he came to Miami County, Kan., where he farmed and read law with Hon. Benjamin Simpson, and in the spring of 1877 commenced the practice of law at Paola, Kan. He was admitted to the bar of the District Court of Kansas at Paola, Oct. 22, 1877, Judge H. Stevens presiding, and was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court Sept. 7, 1881, Judge Albert Horton presiding. He followed the practice of law at Paola, Kan., until the spring of 1878, when he came to Lincoln, where he has since filled an honored position in the bar. He was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Lincoln County in 1880 and re-elected in 1882. He was married to Miss Sallie G. Kilgore, of Miami County, Kan., Jan. 1, 1870, and to them have been born five children - Minnie E., Mary, Harry G., Ursel and Clyde. He is a member of Sir Knights Grand Army of the Union.
EMERSON HAMMER, Postmaster, was born near Montpelier, Ind., Aug. 12, 1855, where he lived until 1878. Until 1873, he was engaged as a farmer near Montpelier, and in 1873 went to Montpelier, where he engaged in the grocery business until 1876, then was employed as a clerk in a general store, which he continued until 1878, when he came to Kansas and located at Wichita, where he remained for one year, and in 1879 came to Lincoln County, Kan., where he farmed for one year, when, in the fall of 1879, he came to Lincoln and engaged in the loan and insurance business until November, 1882, when he was appointed Postmaster at Lincoln. From January, 1880, to the time he was appointed Postmaster he was the Deputy County Clerk for Lincoln County, Kan.
HIRAM HAMMER, County Clerk, was born in Blackford County, Ind., July 11, 1849, where he resided on a farm and attended the public schools, also the Academy of Wells County for three years. Taught school in Wells County for one term. Then to Clay County, Ill., and taught school two terms, and then attended State Normal School at Bloomington, Ill., for one term, when he returned to Montpelier, Ind., and during the fall of 1871 taught a select school, and during the winter one term of public school, and in the following year, 1872, came to Lincoln County, Kan., where he engaged in farming and teaching school until fall of 1880, when he came to the city of Lincoln, he being elected to the office of County Clerk; re- elected fall of 1882. Taught school in Saline County, Kan., for six consecutive terms in one district. Is a member of Masonic fraternity, being a Master Mason. Married to Miss Katie Donmeyer, of Johnstown, Pa., April 24, 1877. Have two children - Hattie and Kittie. Is one of the original projectors of the Topeka, Salina & Western R. R.
ED. M. HARRIS, County Treasurer, was born in Fayette County, Ind., Sept. 28, 1846, and from his fourteenth year until 1867 he was engaged as a clerk in a general merchandising establishment, and in 1867 he established a general store in Andersonville, which he conducted until 1871, when he closed out his business and came to Kansas, and located in Lincoln County and homesteaded a farm of eighty acres, which he farmed four years. In the fall of 1875, he was elected Clerk of Lincoln County and re-elected in 1877, and in 1879 was elected Treasurer of the county and re-elected in 1881. He was married March 17, 1868, to Miss Mary A. Hedrick, of Franklin County, Ind. They have had born to them eight children, five of whom are living - Grace E., Edith V., Clyde, Victor C. and Bernice C. He is an active member of Lincoln Lodge, No. 154, A. F. & A. M.
S. O. HINDS, attorney at law, came to Lincoln, Kan., in May, 1874, where he resided for one year and then took a claim one mile south of the city, where he lived for five years, when he again moved to Lincoln, where he has since resided. He was born in Jennings County, Ind., Dec. 8, 1845, where he resided on a farm until August, 1862, when he enlisted in Company E, Eighty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged in March, 1863, on surgeon's certificate of disability. He re-enlisted as a private in Company H, One Hundred and Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. Was discharged in March, 1866, under a general order from the War Department. In the battles of Resaca, South Mountain, New Hope Church; through the campaign and around Atlanta, ending at Jonesboro; came back with Thomas. Was in all the engagements until Old Pap took in Hood at Nashville, Tenn. After his discharge from the army he returned to Indiana, visiting for a short time, when he went to Decatur County, Iowa, where his parents had previously moved; attended school at Leon, Iowa, for three years, when he commenced the study of law under John W. Hervey. Was admitted to the bar at Leon, Iowa, Hon. Samuel Forrey presiding, September, 1873. Then in the fall of 1873 he came to Kansas and located in Mitchell County, where he resided until the spring of 1874, when he came to Lincoln County, where he has since been engaged in the practice of law. Was elected County Attorney for Lincoln County, Kan., in the fall of 1874; re-elected in the fall of 1876. Was Justice of the Peace of Elkhorn Township for two years. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Lincoln, Kan. He was married to Miss Jennie Rankin, of Dexter, Iowa, May 1, 1873, who died Aug. 3, 1877, leaving two children - Warren C. and Jessie M. He was married to Miss Luella A. Gilkison, of Lincoln County, Kan., March 27, 1879. They have two children - Josie G. and Franklin J.
HERMAN HOLCOMB, grocer, was born in Tioga County, Pa., March 15, 1830, where he resided until 1835, when he, with his parents, moved to Ashtabula County, O., where they lived on a farm for two years, when they moved to Kane County, Ill., living on a farm until 1845, when he moved to Jefferson County, Wis., where he worked as a farmhand for eighteen months, when he went to Dodge County, Wis., and farmed for three years. Then in 1850 he went to Richland County, Wis., where he followed farming until the fall of 1856, when he moved to Richardson County, Neb., where he again farmed until 1874, when he came to Lincoln, Kan., where he engaged in the hardware and implement business until the fall of 1881, when he sold out his stock and settled up his accounts, and in September, 1882, engaged in his present business. He now carries a full and complete stock of staple and fancy groceries. He enlisted as a private in Company G, Second Nebraska Cavalry, Nov. 6, 1862, and was discharged Dec. 6, 1863, expiration of term of service. Was elected as a member of State Legislature of Nebraska, 1872, for one term; Justice of the Peace of Spicer Township, Richardson Co., Neb., for four years. Was married to Miss Nancy L. Loon, Jan. 1, 1853, to whom were born five children, of whom four are living - Clara C., Hester R., Anna C. and Julia M. He is also a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
FRANK N. KINNEY, druggist, established his present business July 6, 1881, and carries a well and carefully selected stock of drugs to the amount of about $1,500. He was born in Plymouth, Wayne Co., Mich., Aug. 21, 1860. In the year 1861, he with his parents, removed to Buffalo, N. Y., where his father followed ship-building and carpentering until July, 1863, when his parents once again removed to Ovid, Clinton Co., Mich., where they resided until his father, John J. Kinney, enlisted in the first company S. S. attached to the Twenty-seventh Michigan Volunteer Infantry, February, 1864, where he served until the springing of the mine at Petersburg, Va., July 30, 1864, where he was killed. His mother and family then remained in Michigan until 1868, then moved to St. Paul, Minn., where they lived one year, then again returned to Michigan, and in October, 1862 (sic), moved to Lincoln County, Kan., where they took up a homestead and engaged in farming and stock business, until July, 1881, when he commenced his present business. His father, John J. Kinney, married in Sodus, N. Y., Miss Harriet J. Bradshaw, Dec. 28, 1858, direct descendant of John Bradshaw, of English history. They had three children, two of whom are living at the present time - Frank, the subject of this sketch, and Hattie. Frank was married to Miss Jennie Hinds, of Decatur County, Iowa, Sept. 27, 1882. He is a member of the S. K. G. A. U.
GEO. M. LUTES, Cashier, Bank of Lincoln County. The Bank of Lincoln County was established March 1, 1878, by Geo. M. Lutes, acting in the interests of J. P. Cummins, under the firm name of J. P. Cummins & Co., with a capital of $10,000 and deposits $15,000. This is the oldest banking establishment in Lincoln County, and is now doing business in Mr. Cummins's commodious stone building, erected under the management of Mr. Lutes, in 1881, at a cost of $7,000. This firm does a general banking business, buying and selling foreign and domestic exchange, and making a specialty of collections. All the business is managed solely by Mr. Lutes. Mr. Lutes was born in Jackson County, Ind., May 7, 1848. He enlisted as a private of Company H, One Hundred and Twentieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in 1864, and was discharged Jan. 6, 1866, under general order from the War Department. In 1866 he removed to Bloomington, Monroe Co., Ind., where he attended the State University for three years, afterward going to Adams County, Iowa, where he served two years as Deputy County Auditor. He engaged in teaching in the public schools both of Indiana and Iowa. He was married June 22, 1879, to Miss Sallie E. Jones, of Hopkins, Mo. They have one child, Elmer Herbert. Mr. Lutes is a member of Center Lodge, No. 111, I. O. O. F. He was the first Mayor of Lincoln, serving two terms. He was a member of the Republican convention that nominated Jno. P. St. John for Governor, and has always been an active advocate of temperance reform.
LOU A. MINX, attorney, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, Oct. 6, 1847, where he resided until 1876. In 1868 he left school at Athens, Ohio, and went to Point Pleasant, West Va., and read law under Judge Moore, and was admitted to the bar at Point Pleasant, West Va., in 1872, and until coming to Kansas practiced law at Syracuse and Middleport, Ohio, and Parkersburg, West Va., and in 1876 he came to Lincoln where he has since given the profession his exclusive attention and has established for himself the reputation of being one of the leading members of the bar of Western Kansas. He was married to Miss Julia A. Flemming, of Athens, Ohio, Dec. 18, 1879, to whom has been born one child - Clarence A., two years old. Mr. Minx is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is a Master Mason. Was Deputy County Clerk of Lincoln County for one year, also City Attorney for the City of Kansas for one year, and is now the U. P. R'y Land Agent.
M. ROBERTSON, manufacturer and dealer in monuments, tombs, headstones, etc., established his business in July, 1882, and is using in his shop American and Italian marble, and also a native marble discovered by him in Lincoln County. It is variegated in color, of a very fine grain, and takes an excellent polish. It is unlike any other kind of marble; it has curious figures resembling water-courses, mountains and other natural objects. It is a rare curiosity. Mr. Robertson is turning out some very nice work; he is a skillful workman having had much experience in his line of business. He worked at his trade in the principal cities of England and Scotland, and many years in the best shops in London. He was born in Scotland, March 22, 1830, and resided there and worked at his trade until 1855, when he went to England, where he resided, still working at his trade, until he came to the United States, in 1868. He worked at the Customs House, at Madison, Wis., for one year, and from there he visited Iowa, Nebraska and Kansas, and went to St. Louis, Mo., and worked at the four courts building until the spring of 1871, when he came to Kansas and located on a farm in Saline County; from there he came to Lincoln County, in 1873, and built the court-house. He homesteaded a quarter section of land in 1876, and resided on it until he proved upon it. Since then he has resided in Lincoln and followed his trade and built the best buildings in the city, the Cummins Bank Building, a very fine structure, and other buildings in the city and county. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., and also of the I. O. O. F. He was married in Scotland, in 1855, to Miss Elizabeth MacFarlane of Leith, Scotland. They have five children living - Daniel, Kate, Malcom, Alex and Anna.
A. S. ROBINSON, Register of Deeds, is a native of Genesee County, N. Y., where he was born May 18, 1821, and where he resided until 1825, his parents then moving to Chautauqua County, N. Y., where he lived for twelve years attending the public schools during the time, and in 1837 his parents moved to Crawford County, Pa., where, with his father, he followed shoemaking until 1844 when they moved to Trumbull County, O., where he followed his trade until the summer of 1846, when he went to Cook County, Ill., where he worked as a practical shoemaker until 1866, when he moved to Butler County, Iowa, where he farmed and ran a shoe shop until 1875, when he came to Lincoln, Kan., where he kept a hotel until 1879, when he pre-empted a farm, where he lived until January, 1880, when he took charge of the office of Register of Deeds having been elected in the fall of 1879, and re-elected in the fall of 1881. He was married Feb. 14, 1842, to Miss Sarah Marshall, who died in Wilmington, Ill., in June, 1855, leaving four children - Ellen, Alonzo M., Rosette and George. He was married to his second wife, Mrs. Frutilla Crosby, June 5, 1856, and of this union were born six children of whom are living Carrie and Frederick. He was Justice of the Peace of Elkhorn Township for three years.
RALPH A. THOMPSON, bakery and restaurant, was born in St. Thomas, Elgin Co., Canada, January 3, 1847, where he resided until 1858, when his parents came to Kansas and settled in Shawnee, Johnson Co., Kan., where he resided, attending school, until 1862, when he went to Kansas City, Mo., where he stayed for one year, when he again came to Kansas and located in Wyandotte where he lived until May 7, 1863, when he enlisted as a private in Company I, Sixth Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, serving with honor to himself and credit to his Government until July 18, 1865, when his regiment, by general order from the War Department, was discharged at Deval's Bluff, Ark. After his discharge from the army, he traveled through the states of Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming Territory and Nebraska, and in the spring of 1868 settled in Saline County, Kan., where he engaged in the hotel business until 1876, when he went to Colorado, where he worked at mining and stamp milling, until early in 1879, when he returned to Salina, Kan., where he visited friends for a short time, when he came to Lincoln, Kan., where he has since conducted a bakery and restaurant. The character of this place is described tersely and to the point like this: "So much like home." He was married to Miss Julia Springer, of Lincoln County, Kan., and to them have been born five children of whom three are living - Minnie B., Julia and Ralph Algernon. He is a member of long standing of the I. O. O. F. He was living with his parents in Shawnee when Quantrell made his murderous raid to Lawrence, Kan., and his father was taken out to be shot, but through the influence of the Rev. Mr. Palmer his life was saved.
H. A. TRASK, Sheriff, was born in Winnebago County, Ill., July 13, 1846, and when only four years of age his parents moved to Elmore, Ottawa Co., Ohio, where he resided, attending school until Feb. 10, 1863, when he enlisted as a private in Company E, Seventy-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged October 25, 1865, under general order from War Department. Aside from being in many skirmish battles he participated in the battles of Guntown, Tupelo, Red River campaign and Nashville. After visiting a short time in Ohio, after close of the war, he went to Mexico, where he resided for nearly two years, when he came to Kansas and took a homestead in Lincoln County, where he resided as a farmer until 1879, when he moved to the city of Lincoln, he being elected Sheriff of the county; re-elected in 1881. Is an honored member of the Masonic Order, being a Master Mason. He was married to Miss Sarah Jarrett, of Indiana, in 1869, and the happy family is now father, mother and six children - Eva, Dan, Bertie, Sissie, Jenny and Henry.
WALTER S. WAIT, born in Northampton, Summit County, Ohio, July 10, 1836. After leaving the district school he attended the Twinsbury Institute and the Akron High School, both of Summit County. In December, 1857, he was married to Miss Anna Churchill, and in March, 1858, they removed to Missouri, and engaged in teaching. His strong Anti-slavery and Union sentiments made him a marked man with the rebels of that State, and in May, 1861, he found it necessary to remove with his family, a wife and one child, an infant, to Quincy, Ill., where he enlisted as a private in the Fiftieth Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteers. He was soon promoted to Orderly Sergeant of his company, and in September, 1862, was promoted for meritorious services rendered at the battle of Pittsburg Landing, from Sergeant to Captain. He, with his regiment, was actively engaged in the memorable battles of Fort Donelson, Pittsburg Landing, the siege of Corinth, and the battle of Corinth, which followed in October following, and was with Sherman in his Georgia campaign till after the fall of Atlanta; and in October, 1864, he resigned, by reason of bad health, and returned to his former home in Ohio, and read law in the office of Judge Carpenter, and was admitted to the bar. In December, 1868, removed to Indiana, where he practiced till the spring of 1871, when he removed to Kansas, and in March, 1872, located at Lincoln Centre, and served one year as County Attorney, by appointment. In 1878 was elected a member of the Legislature from Lincoln County.
Rocky Hill is a natural town which sprang up a few rods east of the old paper town of Abram, which was for a brief time the county seat. The most important industry in this town is the flouring mill of Graham Bros., which was commenced in 1871 by Ezra Hubbard, and was the first mill in the county, and now is one of the good ones; it contains three run of burrs, and is valued at $7,000. Quite a trade has centered about the mill, and several stores and numerous good and substantial dwellings mark an embryo town. In February, 1881, the county of Lincoln voted $75,000 in bonds to aid in building the Topeka, Salina & Western Railroad through the county, The arrival of this road will make Rocky Hill a place of importance.
In Colorado Township the firm of D. Hardesty have a good flouring custom mill in operation, with two run of stones, for which the Saline River furnishes the power. This firm has already expended $5,000 in making this a good property, and contemplates still further expenses and improvements.
Sylvan Grove is the name of a rural town in Pleasant Township, at which a postoffice was established in 1873. The most important industry here is the flouring mill of Merriman & Masterson. This place is located fourteen miles west of the center and county capital, and the above mentioned mill is a nucleus about which gathers quite a large business. The mill contains, and operates both night and day, three run of stones. The reputation their flour has obtained makes it one of the better flouring mills of the West.
Pottersburg was laid out and platted by A. S. Potter in June of 1874. This little city is in the center of the coal region of Lincoln County. It is located at the confluence of Bacon and Spillman creeks and on the line of the proposed Topeka, Salina & Western Railroad.
An organized class of the Methodist Episcopal Church is here in prosperous condition. It was organized in 1875 and now numbers over seventy members, with a Sabbath-school of 148 registered scholars in average attendance. The Rev. Ira G. Morrill is the present pastor.
Abram. - It would scarcely be just to omit a mention of this town, although at present it does not exist. It was the first county seat and was platted, as the records show, in April, 1871, embracing the northwest quarter of Section 9, Township 12, Range 7. Myron D. Green, heretofore referred to as first County Attorney, was the president of the town company; but the fates which control the settlement of all new countries decided that this town should die - and it died.