|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
DELAWARE CITY AND TOWNSHIP.
Delaware City, on of Leavenworth's early rival, is now a city of the past. In the summer of 1854, L. F. Hollingsworth, George Quinby, William H. Spratt, James Bruce, J. M. Churchhill, C. C. Redmon, and others, from Platte County, Mo., commenced its settlement. An association was formed (S. B. Prentiss, president), the town site, consisting of 320 acres, platted, and Delaware City was soon a prosperous, growing town. Among the earliest settlers in the township were R. C. Foster, David Churchill, Eli Macamer, John W. Loar, H. T. Green, G. W. Gardner, Chief Justice S. D. Lecompte, B. H. Twomby and others. The Delaware City of today consists of only a few houses and some fifty or sixty people. It has a Catholic church and a district school. In the township is that splendid educational establishment, Mount St. Mary's Academy, a sketch of which is given.
Mount St. Mary's Academy. - The academy is located south of Leavenworth, on a beautiful elevation commanding a view of the city and fort and the meanderings of the Missouri River, north and south, as far as the eye can reach. The building is a spacious and imposing three-story and basement brick structure, admirably arranged. It contains large and well-ventilated dormitories, toilet rooms, grand study hall, numerous recitation rooms, music and drawing rooms, large refectory and recreation room, infirmary and dispensary - in a word, no pains have been spared to render St. Mary's one of the most desirable educational institutions in the West. The grounds and adjoining land comprise 120 acres of land, the entire property being valued at $100,000. The course of instruction comprises, besides the common branches, book-keeping, French, German and Latin languages, music, drawing, plain and ornamental needle work, tapestry, embroidery, zephyr work, wax flowers, etc., etc. The academy is under the management of the Mother Superior, who requires morality among her pupils. Those of Protestant beliefs are left free as to their religion. The attendance is now between fifty and sixty, and is constantly increasing. The original site for the building and grounds, consisting of thirty-five acres of land, was purchased of Dr. Few, in 1868, and the magnificent academy building first occupied in 1870.
As a rule the pupils of Mount St. Mary's Academy have been remarkably free from sickness and death. But in June, 1882, a casualty occurred, which carried sadness to the hearts of the Sisters, parents and the entire community. A destructive wind storm occurred on the 16th of that month, the cupola was blown down, and four young girls in the dormitory were crushed to death; others were more or less seriously injured.
THOMAS J. ABSHIRE, deceased, was born in Franklin County, Va., December 16, 1814, and was reared in the business of farming. In 1845, he located with his family in Elkhart County, Ind. He followed farming there until 1858, when he located here and was prominently identified with farming and stock raising until his death, which occurred November 23, 1880. He is buried in Delaware Cemetery, leaving a family of thee daughters - Mary J., now Mrs. J. B. Bell, of Missouri; Clementine, now Mrs. Dr. L. L. Terwilliger, of Delaware Township, and Florence E., now Mrs. S. J. Ferree, farmer and stock-raiser of Delaware Township. Mrs. Eliza M. Abshire nee France, was born and reared in Roanoke County, Va., married the deceased in 1845, and shared with him his pioneer life here. Mr. Abshire always took an active part in the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality. He was an active worker in the establishment and support of the Baptist Church, and at his death was prominently identified with it as an honorable official. On October 28, 1881, Mrs. Mary France, mother of Mrs. Abshire, passed away from this life and was buried in the family cemetery, Delaware Township.
JAMES BAUSSERMAN, retired farmer, P. O. Lansing, was born in Virginia, October 16, 1809, and was identified with the profession of teaching there. In 1838, he located in Delaware County, Ohio, and followed his profession there for a few years, completing a period of nineteen years in its service. He afterward engaged in farming successfully. In 1863, he located here, and has been actively identified with the farming and stock industry of this locality since. In 1833, he married Miss Mary A. Ogelvie, of his native State. They have a family of thee sons and two daughters - J. Henry, minister in Christian church; Joseph P., Druggist, Leavenworth; Francis M., livery and feed stable business; Amanda A., now Mrs. Joseph M. Orndorff, farmer of Jefferson County; Martha O., now Mrs. Jno. C. Evans, farmer and stock-raiser of Jefferson County. For the last thirteen years Mrs. Bausserman has very successfully treated and cured cancers, during which time she has removed over 600 cancers, many of which were of the most malignant form. Her treatment is painless and thorough.
A. G. COGSWELL, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 34, P. O. Fairmount, was born in Wayne Count, N. Y., in 1828, and was identified there with his present industry, till 1860, when he located here and has been very successfully connected with that industry since. His stock in trade was a merely nominal amount, when he began here; but he has by thrift and industry accumulated four nice farms, comprising 580 acres of choice land under a thorough state of cultivation, with abundance of fruit and vegetable gardens, amounting to about $20,000. In 1856, he married Miss Orpha A. Gould, of his native State and county. Mr. Cogswell has been an active worker in the social life of his locality since coming here.
W. C. M. DALTON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 28 and 32, P. O. Lansing; was born in Tennessee in 1835, and was reared and educated in Missouri, and was identified with the agricultural and horticultural industry there. In 1862 he located here, and has been actively identified with his present industry since. In 1859 he married Miss Josephine Morris, who was born in Kentucky in 1841, and was reared and educated in Missouri. They have a family of six sons and four daughters - John H., Charles R., Jeremiah F., William C., Hattie, Amanda, Sanford W., Jemima, Ida and Christopher N. Mr. Dalton has always worked actively in the growth and development of the social life of his locality since coming here. Has been a member of the Baptist Church for over thirty-two years.
JAS. H. HAMILTON, stock dealer and proprietor meat market, Lansing; was born and reared in St. Clairville, Belmont County, O., and was prominently connected with the stock dealing there for ten years previous to his locating here in 1879. Since coming her here he has worked actively in the business, confining his trade to the markets of Leavenworth and Kansas City, and dealing principally in fat cattle, of which he turns out about $10,000 worth per annum.
ALONZO HUCKINS, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 36, P. O. Lansing, was born in New Hampshire in 1838, and came to Kansas in 1855. For the first ten years he engaged in Government employ in freighting upon the Plains, excepting during the war, when he was deputed Master of Transportation, and did service through Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and South Carolina. After the war he engaged in stock dealing, and afterward in grain dealing, till 1871, when he again took up freighting in the Indian Territory. In 1872 he began stock dealing and has carried it on actively since. In 1867 he married Miss Frances H. Dunlap, daughter of Horace Dunlap, of Leavenworth County. They have a family of three sons and one daughter - Percival L., Bertrand, Alonzo F. And Belle. Mr. Huckins has worked actively in the social life of his locality since coming here. He is an active member of the A., F. & A. M. society, of seventeen years' standing.
JOHN W. HUGHES, horticulturalist, Section 3, P. O. Leavenworth, was born in Baltimore County, Maryland, in 1828, and was reared in Ohio. In 1856 he settled in Adams County, Ill., and carried on farming actively there till 1860, when he came West and located here, and has been prominently connected with gardening and horticulture since. In 1852 he married Miss Jane Edwards, a native of Butler County, Ohio. They have one son - William B., merchant of Leavenworth. Mr. Hughes has always worked actively in the development and growth of the social and public life of his locality since settling here. He has served twelve years upon the School Board of the District, and is present Trustee of his Township, which incumbency he has held for seven years. The farm residence contains fifty acres, of which thirteen acres contain apple trees, two acres of grapes, two acres of raspberries and three acres of strawberries, the balance being principally used for gardening purposes; is located about two miles from Leavenworth, on the DeSoto road, and is complete with handsome and ample dwellings, stables, etc.
SQUIRE J. M. HULL, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 31, P. O. Lansing, was born and reared in Fulton, Oswego County, N. Y., and was educated to the carpentering profession, which he followed there till 1859. He then located in Kingsville, Mo., and carried on his profession till 1861, when he located here and engaged at his present industry, which he has actively carried on since. In 1860 he married Miss Araminta Alexander, a native of Johnson County, Mo. They have a family of three sons and one daughter - John W., James M., Celestain A. And Myrtle M. Squire Hull has been the incumbent of his present position for eighteen years. During the war he did active service in the militia of the State. He has been an active worker in the maintenance of the Methodist Church here, of which he is an official member.
P. JAMIESON, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 6, P. O. Lansing, was born and reared in Kingston, Canada, and was identified there with the mercantile business. In 1857, and at the age of nineteen, he located here and followed milling and farming for the first few years. In 1868 he established a mercantile business and carried it on till 1878, when he engaged at his present industry, which he has successfully carried on since. In 1862 he married Miss Susan L. Stone, a native of Kingston, Canada. They have a family of three sons and two daughters - Charles, Frank, Fred., Nettle and Ida. Mr. Jamieson is an active worker in the social life of his locality. Has been an active member of the I. O. O. F. Since 1878.
JOSEPH KELLEY, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 31, P. O. Lansing, was born in Pulaski County, Ky., in 1818. In 1838 he settled in Macon County, Mo., and followed farming actively there till 1854, when he came here and located, and has been actively and successfully connected with his present industry here since. In 1870 he married Mrs. Elizabeth Chapman, nee MacMillan, a native of Illinois. They have one daughter, Mary and one son, George Chapman.
JOHN W. LARIMER, deceased, was born in Pittsburg, Pa., in 1838. In 1856 he located in Kansas, and for the first years of his life was engaged in extensive freighting operations between Leavenworth and Denver, after which he engaged in agricultural and horticultural industry, with which he remained successfully connected until his death, which occurred September 2, 1881. He is buried in Mount Muncle Cemetery, leaving two children, Rachel and John M., Jr. Mrs. Halle Larmier, nee Collins, was born in Pittsburn, Pa., and removed to Leavenworth at an early age, with her relatives, where she was reared and educated. In public life Mr. Larimer always took and active part in all matters tending to the growth and development of the social and industrial life of his locality.
JOHN W. LOAR, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 22, P. O. Leavenworth, was born in Ohio in 1816, and was reared and educated in Virginia. At the age of twenty years he located in Boone County, Ky., and carried on mercantile business there for several years. In 1854 he located here and has been prominently identified with his present industry since. Mr. Loar began business here upon a small capital, but has, by dint of steady and persistent thrift and industry, secured a competence of $50,000. His chief pride is in his beautiful farm, located three and a half miles from Leavenworth. It commands a very extensive view of the surrounding country, including a good view of the city and State's Prison. It contains 164 acres of choice land, surrounded by a hedge, of which the farm contains six miles in cross fences, etc. Is confined to grass growing, averaging about 245 tons per annum. The fruit orchard contains twenty-five acres of choice apples, pears, etc., of which there are 3,000 apple trees, 200 pears - apples average 24,000 bushels per year, and pears about 600 bushels. His breeding ranch contains superior grades of horses, mules, jacks and high graded cattle, for which Mr. Loar has always taken a very prominent place in the stock industry and exhibits of this State. His residence is an imposing brick structure, an ornament to the surrounding locality; beautiful frame barns and outbuildings, make up the quota of this, on of the finest farms in Kansas. In public life Mr. Loar has always been reticent, but has done able service in the maintenance of the schools, as also of the Christian Church, of which he and his wife have been active members for many years. In 1848 he married Miss Lucinda Haskins, who was born and reared in Galliopolis County, Ohio. They have one adopted daughter, Annie, now Mrs. Claude DeVore, of the firm John W. Loar & Co., wholesale dealers in apples, etc., etc., 276 Delaware street, Leavenworth.
HIRAM G. PARKER, general merchant, Lansing, was born in Morgan County, Ill., on the 19th of December, 1845, and was identified there as a farmer until 1870, when he removed to Wilson County, Kas., and engaged in farming for a few years. He then did service as guard at the Penitentiary for four years, after which he started his present business, which he ably represents. In 1865 he married Miss Farah York, a native of Cass County, Ill. They have one son and two daughters - Otho E., Mary J., and Matilda I. At the breaking out of the war, Mr. Parker enlisted in Company B, Tenth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, for three years. After he had served one year and a half in that regiment, he reenlisted in Company B, First Regiment, Mississippi Marine Brigade, doing active service until the close of the war, when he was honorably discharged. He has been a member of the A., F. & A. M. Society since 1866.
L. A. RAMSEY, farmer and stock dealer, Section 31, P. O. Lansing, was born and reared in Franklin County, Mo., and was identified there with the mercantile business. In 1867 he located here and has carried on his present business actively since. In 1866 he married Miss Belle MacMillan, a native of Illinois, but was reared in Missouri. They have a family of one son and three daughters - Emmet E., Addie L., Jessie M., and Nettle B. Mr. Ramsey did active service in the Fifth Missouri, Company A, Volunteer Infantry, during the war. In Charter member of Leavenworth Lodge, No. 1285, K. Of H., and has worked actively in the support of the Christian Church here, of which he and his wife are active members.
GEORGE W. STARNES, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 4, P. O. Leavenworth, was born in Tennessee in 1827, and was reared in Fountain County, Ind. At the age of four he settled in Platte County, Mo., and followed farming there for several years. March 14, 1855, he located here and has been actively connected with his present business since. In 1848 he married Miss Abigail Livinggood, who was born in North Carolina, in 1832, and who departed this life in 1856, and is buried in the family cemetery on the homestead, leaving a family of five sons and two daughters - T. R., John M., Margaret L., Flora A., Irvin M., William P., and George A. In 1875 he married Mrs. Sarah Espey, nee Bennington, a native of Ripley County, Ind. They have one son, David A. Espey. Mr. Starnes has been an active worker as member of the School Board for several years, and Township Trustee and many other positions. Has been an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South since 1850.
MARTIN WALSH, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 30, P. O. Lansing, was born in County Mayo, Ireland, in 1839, and was reared in Yorkshire, England. In 1859 he came to American, and spent the first few years in connection with the railway industry in Kentucky. Was the first baggage man on the Nashville & Northwestern R. R. During the war he was active in connection with the Western Flottilla on the Mississippi, and latterly as an official to the Equipment Department, and after the war he retained a position on the Monitor watch, which he held until 1870 in Mound City, Ill. He then engaged in the mercantile business there, which he very successfully carried on until 1873. when he retired from it and engaged in farming in Wisconsin; but after a few years he abandoned it and located in Kansas City, Kas., and he successfully retired from in 1881, on account of ill health, and engaged upon his present industry here. In 1861 he married Miss Bridget Dougherty, of County Mayo, Ireland. They have a family of two sons and three daughters-Richard J., George M., Mary, Annie and Alice. In public life Mr. Walsh has always taken an active part. He served three years as Alderman of Mound City, Ill.; Two terms as Supervisor in Wisconsin, and three terms in the City Council of Kansas City, Kas., and has filled many minor positions of honor and trust.