|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Leavenworth being the oldest point in the Territory, justly lays claim to being the pioneer in nearly every branch of business. She claims the largest wholesale establishment dealing in hardware and cutlery west of St. Louis. J. F. Richardson & Co. Established in 1856; the oldest and one of the most extensive wholesale and retail jewelry houses, established by R. N. Hershfield, during the same year; the oldest clothing house in Kansas, J. Wollman, proprietor, who commenced business in 1855; one of the oldest and most extensive dry goods establishments in the West, Flesher, Schuneman & Co., established in 1857; one of the largest wholesale grocery houses in the State, Bittman, Taylor & Co., established in 1864; Catlin & Knox, the oldest wholesale boot and shoe house in Kansas, established in 1859, etc. Sketches of these and other leading business houses will be found elsewhere. Leavenworth, however, is basing her claim to be considered one of the most important commercial points of the Missouri Valley upon the variety and extent of her manufactories. Coal is found in abundance in, and within a few miles from the city, at the State Penitentiary. The Leavenworth Coal Company is mining coal in North Leavenworth as will be seen by a statement of their operations.
The Leavenworth Coal Company was organized in 1863 with a capital stock of $100,000. Little was done until 1868, when a reorganization was effected, the capital being increased to $300,000. A shaft was sunk near the river, in the northern part of the city, and coal placed on the market in 1870. The vein is about 700 feet below the surface, and varies from two to two and a half feet in thickness. It is pronounced by experts to be the best steam-producing coal anywhere mined in the West. A second shaft was completed in 1880, and during 1882 the old shaft was enlarged, new and expensive machinery purchased; in fact, during that year $40,000 was expended upon various improvements. In the busy season the company employ from 300 to 350 men, their machinery having a raising capacity of 75,000 bushels of coal per day. Present management of the company: Lucien Scott, President; Matthew Ryan, Vice-president; Dr. T. Sinks, secretary and treasurer.
The reader has already discovered the splendid success attending the discovery of coal at the Penitentiary. With this preface he is presented with a history of the banks and lending manufactures of Leavenworth, and is referred to the biographic department for anything in the line of manufactories or business houses which he misses.
The Great Western Manufacturing Company was established in 1858 as Malson, Willson & Co., the firm consisting of A. F. Malson, E. P. Willson and P. Estes. In 1860 Mr. Malson retired, Willson & Estes continuing the business. In 1865 D. F. Fairchild purchased a third interest, and the style of the firm name became Willson, Estes & Fairchild until 1869, when John Wilson became a partner, and the present style of "Great Western Manufacturing Company" was adopted. The works of the manufacturing company are situated on the corner of Second and Choctaw streets. Over $175,000 capital is invested in them, and the annual product, consisting of flour mill machinery, stationary and portable engines, saw mills, pumps, mining machinery, iron work, water wheels, and general mill furnishings, is $300,000. They employ 175 hands, and their buildings, of brick, cover an area 625 feet square. The manufactures of the company are shipped all over the West, and large dealings are also had in portable flour mills, smut and separating machines, bolting cloth, rubber and leather belting, mill stones and mill furnishing goods of every description. Present officers of the company: E. Willson, president; John Wilson, treasurer; D. F. Fairchild, secretary.
Although the Great Western Manufacturing Company had been engaged for a number of years in the manufacture of stoves, it was not until 1875 that a separate organization, known as the Great Western Stove Company, was effected. Its officers then elected were John Wilson, president; D. F. Fairchild, vice-president; E. P. Willson, treasurer; N. H. Burt, secretary. In 1877, Mr. Fairchild sold his interest to the other partners. With this exception, the management remains unchanged.
The works at the present time occupy a footage of 96 feet on Choctaw and 300 feet on Second street, and consist of two brick foundries, 70 x 150 feet, and 70 x 110, respectively. A four story and basement brick building, 62 x 116 feet, is used for stove finishing and storage. The balance of the premises is occupied by the cupola building, blower room, iron yard, flask yard, etc. The company also occupy for storage purposes, sample room, etc., the two three-story brick stores, Nos. 205 and 207 Delaware street. They employ about 150 men, and melt from fifteen to eighteen tons of pig iron daily. Their product consists exclusively of stoves, comprising over 100 styles and sizes of cooking stoves, ranges and heating stoves. The trade of the manufactory extends over Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado and New Mexico.
Kansas Manufacturing Company. - This company, one of the pillars which upholds Leavenworth's increasing reputation as a manufacturing city, was formed in 1874, with the following officers: A. Caldwell, president; N. J. Waterman, treasurer; J. B. McAfee, secretary. Hon. A. Caldwell, the present head of the company, and one of its founders, engaged at an early day as an overland freighter, and thus laid the foundation of his business success in the practical knowledge which he obtained of every need of every class in the line of vehicles - whether the light - running farm wagon, freight wagon for Rocky Mountain use, Leadville quartz wagon, army wagon and ambulance, or heavy timber wagon for railroad work, a thorough study of cause and effect has been made until it seems as if the perfection of a combination of timber and iron has been reached by this company. The excellence and durability of its work is acknowledged all over the West, from Kansas to California. The works are situated about five miles south of Leavenworth, on the line of the Missouri Pacific R'y. The main building is 50 x 600 feet, three stories, brick. Near it is a one-story structure, 50 x 300 feet, where the wagons are ironed. A 250-horse-power engine furnishes the motive power for the machinery. The estimated value of the property, as it stands to-day, inlcudin (sic) shops and material on hand, is $600,000. Before the timber is seasoned, it is carefully inspected, and before it is about to be made into wagons, it is subjected to the same process. Large dry-houses and storage sheds but add to the correct impression of the magnitude of the Kansas Manufacturing Company's business. The hubs, felloes and spokes, tongues, hounds, etc., come from the East. Such is the rapidity and machine-like precision with which the 200 workmen accomplish their work that one wagon is put upon the market every twenty five minutes. The company's capital is $500,000, and the manufacture for 1882 will amount to 8,000 wagons. The officers, at present, are as follows: A. Caldwell, president; Thomas A. Mellon, vice-president; C. B. Brace, treasurer; J. B. McAfee, secretary; J. P. Gamble, superintendent of shops.
S. L. North & Co. - Mr. North first commenced business in Leavenworth, in 1863. In 1866, he formed a partnership with N. Jennings, and afterward sold out to him. In 1873, in connection with the Kansas Manufacturing Company, he commenced employing prison labor. The contract, however, was deemed illegal, and in 1874 another was entered into with the State, by which the Kansas Manufacturing Company was to do wagon work, and S. L. North carriage and buggy work. The manufactory, located at the penitentiary, five miles south of Leavenworth, is 50 x 300 feet in dimensions, and thoroughly equipped for producing the best work. Only second growth hickory is used, while all the lumber employed is most thoroughly seasoned. In the manufacture of the carriages, buggies, phaetons, sulkies, etc. which are sold throughout Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Colorado, Texas and New and Old Mexico, about sixty men are employed, the annual sales amounting to $60,000. The office and repository of the company, where may be seen the finest specimens of this particular manufacture, are located at No. 109 Main street.
Stevens & Garrigues Iron Company. - Although not a manufactory, this establishment is so closely allied to the wagon and carriage industry of Leavenworth and this State, that a history of the company is presented here. It is the largest house in the Missouri valley west of St. Louis, making a specialty of wagon and carriage materials. Iron, steel, springs, axles, carriage bolts, skeins, anvils, horseshoes and nails, blacksmith tools, cloths, leathers and trimmings are extensively dealt in, the trade of the company extending all over Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona and portions of Missouri and Nebraska. They are also general dealers in wagon wood work, and have a large hard-wood lumber yard in addition to their fine three-story establishment at Nos. 229 and 231 Cherokee street. The company employ eleven men in the store, and three traveling salesmen their business amounting to $150,000 per annum. The house was established in 1866 by Charles N. Stevens, now president of the company. In 1873, Thomas A. Garrigues, present secretary and treasurer, entered into partnership with him, under the firm name of Stevens & Garrigues. The Stevens and Garrigues Iron Company was formed in 1882, with a capital stock of $50,000.
Abernathy, Doughty & Hall, wholesale and retail furniture manufacturers and dealers in carpets, Nos. 227 and 231 Delaware street. In 1856, J. L. Abernathy, the senior member of the above firm, established his business in Leavenworth. A few years afterward he admitted John N. into partnership, and under the firm name of Abernathy Bros., they conducted the business for twelve years. In April, 1880, E. L. Doughty and J. C. Hall were admitted into partnership with J. L. Abernathy, forming the firm as above named, J. N. Abernathy giving his entire time and attention to the furniture factory. This establishment, corner of Second and Seneca streets, is conducted by Abernathy Bros. & Co., and supplies the house with the different styles of substantial, rich and elegant furniture, displayed and stored in the fine three-story brick structure on Delaware street. The store is 75 x 120 feet, three stories and basement. The ground floor is divided into two compartments, one being for storing unfinished furniture, the other used for office purposes, and sales and sample room for different styles of chamber sets, book cases, sideboards, wardrobes, etc. The second floor is the salesroom for parlor furniture, carpets, lace curtains and oil cloth. The third floor is used for finishing all grades of furniture and for upholstering, and the basement for storage and packing purposes. The goods of the house are distributed throughout the West. Some idea of the magnitude of its transactions may be obtained when it is stated that the firm employ 125 men, and transact and annual business amounting to $225,000
Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron Works. These works were established about ten years ago by E. J. Farnsworth and D. W. Eaves. Four years ago they came under the management of Insley, Shire & Tullock. By the death of Daniel Shire, in June, 1882, the company lost one of its most valued members. The business will be conducted under the same management, Mr. Shire's interest being represented. A. T. Tullock, one of the proprietors, is also superintendent of the works. By the continued excellence of their work the company have established a business amounting to over $300,000 per annum. They manufacture long span, draw, lattice and girder bridges, turn-tables, wrought-iron pliers, columns and trestle work, roof trusses, heavy forgings, and general iron work for jails, court houses, etc. For some time the works have chiefly been engaged upon the bridges being constructed for the Leavenworth, Topeka & Southwestern R. R. Co. And it may be here remarked that the company, from the start, have made a specialty of railroad bridge work, and have acquired a widely extended reputation in this line. They have in their employ at Leavenworth about seventy-five men, and $100,000 is invested in the business.
Union Stove and Machine Works. - This is another of the extensive and prosperous manufactories of Leavenworth. Although established as late as May, 1879, the works cover over half a square block, No's. 111 to 119 Cherokee street, and 112 to 118 Choctaw street. Joseph Whitaker, president of the company, was formerly a heavy dealer in pork in Cincinnati, and located in Leavenworth twelve years ago. The other officers are as follows: John L. Whitaker, vice-president; C. E. Spooner, secretary; J. H. Beebe, superintendent. The works manufactures stoves and hollow ware, tin ware, brass castings, engines, mill machinery, iron work, gas pipe, fittings, house fronts, sash weights, palings, casting, etc., etc. To give an idea of the magnitude of the work accomplished it may be stated that over 10,000 pounds of iron alone is melted daily. The establishment employs over 100 man, $90,000 is invested in the business, and the annual product of the works amounts to $100,000. The manufacture is distributed all over the North, West and South.
The Leavenworth Sugar Company was organized in January, 1880, with a capital of $75,000. Their factory is situated about one mile south of the business heart of the city, the building being a large brick structure, 130 x 140 feet, the machinery and appliances being of the most improved description, the whole costing $40,000. There are four engines, the principal one being 150 horse-power capacity. The establishment of this important industry is due to the combination of such Eastern capitalists as Lucien Hawley, of Buffalo, president of the company formed in 1880, and local capital and enterprise represented by such names as Capt. M. H. Insley, Col. D. R. Anthony and Matt. Ryan. In June, 1882, the factory passed into the hands of the Hamlins, of Buffalo, who operated two like establishments in that city and one in Peoria, Ill. The management now consists of C. J. Hamlin, president, William Hamlin, secretary; Harry Hamlin, general manager. The factory is now (July, 1882), being thoroughly repaired and greatly improved, and when started up again will give employment to 250 men. The manufactory will not only be of great benefit to workmen, but for the farming community, as it will open up a market for hundreds of thousands of bushels of corn annually.
Brown Medicine and Manufacturing Company, pharmaceutical chemists and perfumers, No. 113 Delaware street. This house is largely engaged in the manufacture of various preparations of the pharmacopaeia (sic) and other pharmaceutical preparations; the demand for medicinal elixirs, fluid extracts and sugar-coated pills continues with great activity. They also manufacture Extract Blackberry and Ginger, Extract Jamaica Ginger, Pepsin Tonic, and a few other proprietary medicines, which are the leading salable remedies of the West. Perfumery, toilet goods, flavoring extracts, etc., form an important part of their productions. The company employ twenty-seven hands and nine traveling salesmen, occupying all the States and Territories west of the Mississippi River. The rapid growth and demand for their medicines is largely due to the fact that they are prepared especially for the diseases of the West. The quality of all articles that enter into the composition of their preparations is the best to be found, with skill and experience to combine the same in a scientific manner. The company was organized in 1876, and now has the following officers, most of whom have been from the beginning: G. A. Eddy, president; W. B. Slosson, vice-president; J. P. Bauserman, secretary; R. J. Brown, superintendent and treasurer. Their annual sales amount to $75,000.
Leavenworth Mills (H. D. Rush & Co.). - This manufactory, a complete and leading one of its kind, is situated at the corner of Broadway and Delaware streets. During the nine years that Mr. Rush has been engaged in the business in Leavenworth, he has built up an establishment which leads the trade in this section of the country. His "XXXX Premium" and "Golden Eagle" have acquired a wide-spread reputation, the product of mill being shipped throughout the West. In addition to the large three-story mill, containing eight run of stone and four sets of rolls, and elevator of 125,000 bushels capacity, is run in connection with the manufacture of flour. The capacity of the mill is 300 barrels daily, and except when shut down for repairs, is kept running night and day. The firm employ $200,000 in the business.
The Keystone Mills, John Kelley and J. C. Lysle, proprietors, Nos. 202 to 208 Cherokee street, were built in 1870 and operated up to 1875 as a corn mill. In January, 1882, Mr. Kelley purchased the interest of J. R. Dillworth. Mr. Lysle's former partner. The Keystone Mills have three run of stone, and a capacity of 125 bushels of flour per day. Their machinery and flour are of the best; special brands, "Golden Sheaf" and "White Swan."
Adjoining the flouring mills is a large furniture factory, in which they employ thirty-five men. The product, amounting to $25,000 pre annum, consists chiefly of chamber sets, drawer work, desks and tables, which they wholesale throughout the West. Each of the buildings occupied by these establishments is 50 x 75 feet, and their total value $20,000. The two manufactories combined represent a large and growing capital. They have also just completed a four-story brick flouring mill with basement, 75 x 125 feet, with all the modern improvements.
John Vogel, Nos. 772 and 774 Shawnee street, operates a small corn mill and deals in grain.
Munson & Burrows. - (S. J. Munson and George Burrows, manufacturers and dealers in sash, doors and blinds, stairs, stair railing, balusters, newel posts, mouldings, pine and hardwood lumber, etc., No. 409 Choctaw street). The above firm commenced business in 1864, erecting a building during that year at a cost of about $8,000. Additions have since been made so that their factory is now 48 x 200 feet, and represents a valuation of twice the original cost. This, with sheds and warehouses and extensive lumber yard, covers an area of nearly a square block. Messrs Munson & Burrows have invested some $75,000 in their business, and ship the products of their manufacture all over the West. Over forty men are employed in the factory and lumber yard. This may be said to be the only complete sash, door and blind factory in Leavenworth, and it is decidedly one of her leading industries.
Buckeye Carriage Works. - This establishment, of which John Cretors is proprietor, is located at Nos. 417 to 423 Cherokee street, and is old and reliable. Mr Cretors came to Leavenworth in 1865, and established his present business in 1867. He manufactures and has on hand a full line of light carriages, buggies, truck wagons, etc. A large business is also done in repairing and repainting. Twenty men are employed in the works, which do a business aggregating $50,000 per annum.
J. Lyon, manufacturer of carriages, buggies and phaetons, Nos. 314 and 316 Shawnee street, does good, honest work. He does a large business, amounting to some $8,000 per annum, both in the manufacturing and general repairing line, occupying a substantial two-story brick building 50 x 75 feet. Mr. Lyon established his business in 1875, and employs seven men.
Wm. G. Hesse, carriage and wagon manufacturer, Nos. 420 and 422 Cherokee street, established his business as a blacksmith and wagon repairer, in 1858, on Seventh street. By his industry and foresight he has built up a large and constantly increasing business, having just made an addition to the large building (erected in 1878), which will fully double its capacity. Its dimensions are now 48 x 112 feet, three-story brick, and, with site, is valued at $10,000. Mr Hesse employs thirty-five men, in the busy season, and his annual product is $40,000. In addition to the manufacture of farm and spring wagons, buggies, carriages, etc., he does a large business in the repairing and general blacksmithing line.
Vogel Brothers, cigar and packing boxes, No. 118 Broadway. This factory was started by Jacob Vogel, the father of the young men who are operating it at present. Mr. Vogel died in October, 1881, when his sons, George, William and John, assumed control of the business. They employ thirty-five hands, and transact a business amounting to $60,000 per annum. They are about to extend its scope by the manufacture of broom and ax handles.
The Brandon and Kirmeyer Brewing Company. - This is the sole remaining representative of this interest in Leavenworth. Over $300,000 has been sunk and lost in different brewing enterprises, the first brewery being established in 1854 - the Scott Brewery. It was located on the Leavenworth road, its last owners being Messrs. Becker & Linck. The origin of the Brandon and Kirmeyer Brewing Company was the small soda-water factory which the senior member of the firm, John Brandon, established in 1858. His partner was David Block. In 1862 Messrs. Brandon and Kirmeyer commenced to manufacture ale and porter. The brewery and bottling works of the company are located on the corner of Second and Kiowa streets. In the manufacture of their beer they used during the past year 30,000 bushels of barley. The company employ twenty-three men, and their business for 1881-82 amounted to over $100,000.
The Leavenworth Bottling Company, Nos. 712 to 716 Cherokee street, George Linck proprietor, are not only agents for the celebrated Anheuser-Busch St. Louis lager beer, but are manufacturers of ginger-ale, soda and mineral water. The factory and works comprise a large two-story building 50 x 125 feet. The business amounts to $50,000 per annum.
Charles Besser also has some quite extensive bottling works, corner of Fourth and Shawnee streets, being agent for Phillip Best's Milwaukee lager beer. He is not a manufacturer, however.
"Pioneer" Cooper Shop - Joseph Duerr was the first cooper to work in Leavenworth, he making casks for the old brewery, established in 1854. The first regular cooper, however, to do general work was J. H. Rothenberger, who, in 1859, started a small shop on Main street. Mr. Rothenberger was his own master and his own workman at that time. In 1864 he moved to his present location on Short street. He now employs twenty-three men, and transacts an annual business amounting to $35,000. The Pioneer Cooper Shop now turns out every variety of work, ranging in size from the smallest keg to the largest hogshead.
The Leavenworth Steam Boiler Works, of Joseph Newsome & Sons, were established in 1864. They are situated on the south side of Choctaw, between Second and Third streets, adjoining the works of the Great Western Manufacturing Company. Their manufacture consists of steam boilers and tanks. This firm supply all the boilers used by the Great Western Manufacturing Company. They employ seven men, have $5,000 invested in the business, and their annual manufacture amounts to $15,000. This manufactory also turns out a full line of iron cells for jails, and lard rendering and water tanks. Mr. Newsome learned his trade in England, and he learned it well for he is now at the head of one of the solidest iron manufactories in Leavenworth.
Leavenworth Novelty Works, Messrs. A. Folger & J. J. Fairbank proprietors, are situated at Nos. 114 and 116 Main street. They were established in 1870, the manufacture consisting of all kinds of brass and sheet-iron work, gold, silver, and nickel plating, model making, engraving and electroplating. Mr Folger was formerly in business in Detroit; Mr. Fairbank came to Leavenworth from England. They employ five men and do a business of over $5,000 per annum. These are the only works of the kind in the State.
The Western Tower Clock Company. Was organized in March 1881, with the following officers: Joseph Whitaker, president and treasurer; A. A. Ferin, vice-president and secretary; J. W. Hile, general superintendent. Mr Hile is the inventor of the celebrated century clock which attracted so much attention at the Centennial Exhibition. In addition to superior clocks for court houses, depots, churches, etc., the company also manufacture a portable galvanized iron reel bake oven, which is coming into popular favor. The manufactory is located at No. 216 Delaware street
George Kauffmann & Co., railing shops, brass founders and locksmiths, No. 304 Shawnee street between Third and Fourth. Mr. Kauffmann established his business in 1865, having a small shop on Seneca street. He employed one man in the business - himself - for about a month. Then he had to increase his force. Frederick Lange and William Kauffmann are now in partnership with him. Together they employ six men, and do a business amounting to some $6,000. The original building, in which his business was first established, was erected in 1871. Additions have since been made until it is now a solid brick two-story structure, 80 x 24 feet.
The Continental Steam Marble Works, Nos. 404-406 Cherokee street, Messrs. S. F. Burdett & Frederick Heis proprietors, is the oldest and most extensive manufactory of the kind in Leavenworth. It was established in 1862, and does an annual business of over $30,000. In addition to general marble and stone work, the firm deal in iron fencing and furniture for lawns and cemeteries.
The brick trade is well represented in Leavenworth, five or six yards being in operation. A. A. Fenn commenced the manufacture of brick over twenty years ago, and has the largest yard now in the city. In the spring of 1881, he commenced business at his present location, and turned out nearly 4,000,000 brick for the season. John McCormick runs a good yard, employing twelve men and turning out about $20,000 worth of brick per annum.
Leavenworth Woolen Mills. - In 1872, William McNeill Clough, J. McGonigle, Judge Stillings, Arthur Simmons, P. H. McDonald and others, formed the Leavenworth Carpet Company, and erected the original mills. With machinery, the cost was $50,000. Four years thereafter the building was enlarged and improved in every respect. In 1876, Duffy, Jones & Morgan became proprietors. During the next year, Owen Duffy, now sole proprietor, bought out the interests of his partners. The property is now valued at $60,000; annual manufacture $80,000. Mr. Duffy employs forty men, turning out cassimeres, blankets, flannels and yarns. He is a skilled manufacturer, and Leavenworth appreciates him and her woolen mills.
The Leavenworth Bag Manufacturing Company occupy four floors, 24 x 120 feet, at No. 105 Main street. In the manufacture of cotton bags, flour sacks and burlaps and the sale of paper bags and wrapping paper, employment is given to thirty hands and two traveling men. W. A. Rose is general superintendent.
The Kansas Canning Company was organized in the spring of 1881, as a stock company, with J. P. Bauserman, president; W. B. Slosson, vice-president; George C. Vaughn, treasurer; A. A. Fenn, secretary; J. S. Edwards, superintendent. The works are situated on the east side of Main street, north of Three-Mile Creek, and consist of a two-story wooden building, 40 x 80 feet, with appropriate and improved machinery. The paid up capital is $15,000, but the working capital is more than double that amount. Vegetables, chicken, turkey, mince meat, apple butter, etc., etc., have been canned in season. The company employ on an average, 100 hands, and are about to add to their machinery a cider press and a fruit drier. A. B. Havens & Co., have invested a large amount of money, and are virtually operating the works under a lease. Since the above was written (on the morning of July 18, 1882), the works of the above company were entirely destroyed by fire, entailing a loss of $20,000, upon the lessees, A. B. Havens and George Richardson. The insurance was but $10,000. In two weeks the buildings were rebuilt, larger than before, and the company canned $20,000 worth of tomatoes and other fruits before the season was over.
Leavenworth Candy Manufacturing Company. - In May, 1882, a stock company was formed of which Joseph Westenberger was President, for the manufacture and sale of every variety of candy. The capital stock of the company, whose factory is at No. 219 Delaware street, is $20,000. A business amounting annually to $75,000 has been transacted. Fifteen hands are employed. Hardy Solomon is the general manager.
Leavenworth Cracker Factory. - F. A. Rolfs, a well-known young business man of Leavenworth, has just put in operation (July, 1882) a large establishment devoted to the manufacture of crackers, bread, cakes, etc. He has invested about $12,000 in the business. His manufactory is situated corner of Shawnee and Third streets.
Among the best known of the cigar manufacturers and dealers who are doing business in Leavenworth are A. Simmons, Sultana cigar manufacturer, who employs thirty-five men, and does $100,000 business; D. Staiger, successor to Simmons & Staiger and Staiger & Olive, whose product equals half that amount; and Rothenberg & Schloss, whose transactions are among the largest in the city. These firms are all on Delaware street.
Soap Factory. - This, the oldest manufactory of the kind in Kansas, was established in 1857, at Five-Mile Creek, by R. B. Craig. In 1868 he erected a building on the present site of the factory, No. 407 Cherokee street. Additions have since been made until the structure is 75 x 32 feet. From a small beginning the industry has grown until $10,000 is invested in the business, and the value of the annual product is $20,000. The manufacture consists principally of laundry soap, for which a ready market is found throughout the West.
G. M. Hurley & Co., (R. V. Flora) the only other soap manufactures in Leavenworth, have a small factory on Short street, from which they turn out a first-class variety of laundry soap - "White Rose," "White Russian" and "Star." they established their business in March 1882.