|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
NATHAN S. ARNOLD, farmer and County Treasurer, P. O. Kingman, is a son of Phillip and Abigail Arnold, the former a farmer and native of Massachusetts, and the latter a native of New York State. Nathan S. was born in the State of New York February 8, 1833, where he resided and attended school until 1849, when he moved with his parents to Michigan, going from there to Illinois in 1852. In July, 1862, he enlisted at Knoxville, Ill., in Company E, Eighty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served about a year, when he was discharged for disability. Leaving the army, he returned to Massachusetts, where he remained about six years, when he emigrated to Iowa and purchased a farm in Taylor County, upon which he located. Disposing of his farm some time after, he moved to the town of Conway, in Taylor County, where he engaged in the hardware and lumber business. After a residence of six years in Iowa, he moved to Missouri, locating at the town of Hopkins, where he re-established himself in the lumber and hardware business. In 1878, Mr. Arnold moved to Kansas, and located upon a farm in Kingman County. On March 25, 1858, he was married at Stirling, Mass., to Miss Ellen Goss, a native of Massachusetts. The issue of this marriage has been Charles E., born in Illinois July 7, 1860; Julia M., born in Massachusetts May 10, 1863, and Mary L., born in Iowa August 30, 1872. Mr. A. has held several school offices, and served as Justice of the Peace in Kingman County during the years 1880-81. In November, 1881, he was elected Treasurer of the county, in which capacity he is now serving.
STEPHEN G. BABCOCK, hardware merchant, is the son of John and Eliza Babcock, and was born in Seneca, N. Y., August 10, 1846. His father was a farmer and native of New York, and his mother was a native of New Jersey. He began his education in the common school, but at the age of fourteen years he entered the academic department of the union school, which he attended for two years. At the age of sixteen, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth New York Volunteer Infantry, the date of his enlistment being July 30, 1862. He served until June 19, 1865, participating in all the general engagements in which the Army of the Potomac was engaged from the time of his enlistment to the close of the war. Leaving the army, he returned to New York State, where he commenced farming. At Clyde, N. Y., December 24, 1867, he was married to Miss Amelia M. Tipling, a native of New York. By this marriage, five children have been born to him--Mabel E., born in Seneca County, N. Y., April 7, 1869; George E., born same place July 15, 1870; Edith M., same place, June 16, 1873, died at Kingman, Kan., July 22, 1879; Maude E., born at Clyde, N. Y., November 10, 1876; Ada, born at Kingman, Kan., September 7, 1880, and John, born July 19, 1882, died August 7, 1882. In 1873, Mr. Babcock engaged in the grocery business at Clyde, N. Y., at which he remained until March, 1879, when he moved to Kansas and located at Kingman, where he engaged in the lumber and hardware business in company with Garrison & Craycraft. In 1880, the firm dissolved, Mr. Babcock retaining the hardware and implement business, which he still continues to carry on. In the fall of 1880, he was elected to the Legislature, taking his seat in the second biennial session as Representative from Kingman County.
AUSTIN D. CULVER, tinsmith, was born in Ohio December 28, 1834. He is the son of John D. and Martha Culver, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter a native of Ohio. The opportunities of Austin D. to acquire an education were extremely limited, being confined to the primitive log schoolhouses. When eighteen years old, he left home and went to Iowa, but returned after a year's absence, to Illinois, going to Warren County, where he entered the establishment of Ebenezer Wallace and learned the tinsmith's trade, with whom he remained for three years, and then went to Galesburg. Leaving there soon afterward, he spent several years in traveling, without having any permanent abode, but finally returned to Iowa and engaged in the stove and tinware business. January 2, 1861, A. D. Culver was married, at St. Louis, to Miss Charlotte Ricker, a native of New York State. The issue of their marriage has been Charles C., born at Ottumwa, Iowa, October 12, 1861; George E., born at Galesburg, Ill., September 17, 1863; Franklin E., born at the same place June 20, 1866, died at Kingman September 16, 1881, and Laura May, born at Galesburg May 18, 1868. In 1862, Mr. Culver returned to Galesburg, Ill., where he remained in business until 1874, when he removed to Kansas and located in Kingman County. Mr. Culver was the first Justice of the peace in Kingman County, and in 1876 was elected to the office of Sheriff, which he held for two years.
HORACE B. DUNCAN, physician, was born in Hardin County, Ky., November 9, 1850. He is the son of William T. Duncan, a cabinet-maker by trade, and native of Kentucky, and Eveline, his wife, also a native of the same State. Horace B. commenced his education in the common school, but in 1870 he entered Lynnland College, located in Hardin County, Ky., which he attended for three years. He afterward attended the medical department of the university at Louisville for two terms, graduating from there in 1876. After graduating, he located at Lebannon Junction, Bullitt Co., Ky., where he commenced the practice of medicine, which he pursued until 1879, when he moved to Kansas and located at Kingman, where he resumed the practice of his profession. On May 7, 1879, Mr. Duncan was married in Bullitt County, Ky., to Miss Sally E. Hays, a native of said county. One son has been the issue of their marriage, Everett B., born in Kingman, Kan., April 23, 1880.
GEORGE E. FILLEY, editor, was born in St. Louis, Mo., December 3, 1852. His father was a native of Hartford, Conn., and his mother of Lansingburg, N. Y. Lived ten years in Missouri, but early in the war the family was compelled to leave the State on account of the pronounced Union principles of George's father. From Missouri, the family moved to Chicago, where they remained until the close of the war, when they moved to Lawrence, Kan., where they resided eight years, going from there to Burlingame. The education of George E. commenced in the public schools, going from them to Baker University, at Baldwin City, Kan., next to the State University at Lawrence, finishing at Asbury University, Greencastle, Ind. In 1875, he entered the law office of William Thomson, at Burlingame, Kan., and read and studied law under his direction. He was admitted to practice at the bar in August, 1877, and immediately thereafter moved to Kingman. In March, 1878, he was appointed Postmaster, and held the office until April, 1883. In March, 1881, he purchased the Kingman County Citizen, which he still continues to edit and publish. On December 3, 1879, he was married, at Kingman, Kan., to Miss Lou J. Frazier.
HUGH JONES, County Superintendent of Public Schools, is the son of Hugh and Charlotte Jones. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, but spent nearly his whole life in Ohio or Illinois, and his mother was a native of Illinois. Hugh was born in Peoria County, Ill., June 13, 1850. He received a limited education in the common schools, but when twenty-one years of age, he entered the Peoria County Normal School, where he was educated under the tuition of S. H. White. In 1874, he began teaching, which he successfully followed for five years in Illinois, when he moved to Kansas and located in Kingman County. Here he resumed the school work, and in November, 1880, was elected to the office of County Superintendent, to which position he was re-elected in 1882, in both of which elections he was nominated by his favorite party, the Democrats and elected by the people. On July 26, 1882, in Wichita, Kan., he married Miss Susannah V. Wandel, a native of Wisconsin. Her primary education was obtained in a manner similar to that of her husband, but in August, 1882, having attended a Teachers' Institute conducted by Mr. Jones, she entered the Normal School of Ft. Scott, Kan, where she has left an excellent record of her work as a student, that of her rapid improvement being unsurpassed. Possessed of fine sensibilities and of decided Christian character, she is naturally associated with many warm friends and good society.
D. ROBERT KINSEY, County Attorney, is of Swiss-Irish descent, his father, John Kinsey being a native of Switzerland, and his mother, Sarah (Anderson) Kinsey, being a native of the north of Ireland. B. R. was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, December 22, 1850. His early education was received in the common schools and at an early age he commenced teaching school, which he followed for three years, teaching in winter and working on the farm in summer. When twenty-one years old, he entered the one study university at Scio, Ohio, which he attended until 1874, when he graduated. Leaving the university, he taught school for two terms in Illinois, when he entered the law office of A. L. Neeley at New Philadelphia, Ohio, under whose instruction he read law and studied until 1876, when he was admitted to practice at the bar. In the spring of 1878, he moved to Kansas and located at Wichita, where he formed a law partnership with Judge John Clark. In the spring of 1880, he moved to Kingman, where he opened a law office. In the fall of 1882, he was elected to his present office.
JAMES P. MEAD, District Clerk, was the only child born to George T. and Lydia J. Mead, both natives of New York State. He was born in Lenawee County, Mich., February 19, 1857, where he lived until he was sixteen years old, when he moved, with his parents, to Kansas and located upon a farm in Sedgwick County. He was educated in the common school, and after moving to Kansas he took up the profession of teaching, which he followed for several years. On April 5, 1878, J. P. Mead and Miss Ella L. Price, the latter a native of Iowa, were united in wedlock at Wichita, the issue of their marriage being two children--Lucy J., born in Sedgwick County January 23, 1879, and Harry J., born in Kingman November 24, 1881. In October, 1879, Mr. Mead was appointed Clerk of the District Court, and in the fall of that year was elected to fill the unexpired term. He was re-elected to the office in the fall of 1880, for a full term, and was again elected as his own successor in 1882, and is now serving in the official capacity of District Clerk. Since his induction into office in 1879, Mr. Mead has given a great deal of his time to the reading and study of law, and at the April term of court, 1883, was admitted to practice in the courts of the State.
CLAYTON W. MYERS, Postmaster and druggist. Jacob and Helen Myers, the parents of Clayton W., were both natives of Pennsylvania. C. W. was born in Illinois March 17, 1857. His early education was received in the common schools, graduating from the high school at Atkinson, Ill., when sixteen years old. Leaving school, he entered a drug store, where he commenced reading medicine, which he pursued about eighteen months, when he went to Genesco, Ill., and entered the office of Dr. H. I. Hoppins, where he remained a year, studying medicine under the direction of the Doctor. He then went to St. Louis, where he attended a six months' course of lectures after which he returned to the office of Dr. Hoppins and resumed his studies, which he pursued for over two years, when he went to Chicago, Ill., where he attended another six months' course of lectures, graduating from the Chicago Homeopathic College in 1878, being at that time twenty-one years old. Having graduated, he shortly afterward moved to Kansas and located at Kingman, in Kingman County, where he opened a drug store and commenced the practice of his profession, being the first practicing physician in the county. In the fall of 1878, he was elected Coroner of the county, and was re-elected in 1879. In the spring of 1880, he was appointed United States Examining Surgeon, and in the fall of 1881 was elected to the office of Register of Deeds. On March 6, 1883, he was appointed Postmaster at Kingman, and is now serving in the triple capacity of Examining Surgeon, Register of Deeds and Postmaster.
WILLIAM B. NICHOLSON, proprietor of the Laclede Hotel, was born in Cumberland, England, July 18, 1851. He is the son of William and Ann Nicholson, both natives of England. He came to the United States with his parents in 1859, and located in Illinois, where he resided until 1866, when they moved to Kansas and located in Miami County, where they settled on a farm. From there W. B. went to Colorado in 1868, where he remained a year and then went to New Mexico, and from there to Texas, returning to Miami County after an absence of eighteen months. In 1872, he removed to Reno County, where he located upon a claim, being the second settler in the county south of the Ninnescah River. He was married in Reno county, October 8, 1876, to Miss Alice Ray, a native of Indiana, by which marriage two children have been born to them--Minta E., born in Reno County June 6, 1880, and died in July, 1880, and Joseph H., born at Kingman November 2, 1882. In 1880, he moved to Kingman County and engaged in the hotel business, becoming proprietor of the Laclede Hotel, which he is still conducting.
H. H. PATTEN, attorney at law, was born in Sullivan County, Ind., July 17, 1836, being the eldest child of Joshua T. and Barbara A. Patten. Parents now reside in this county--father born in Sullivan County, Ind., but before the State was admitted into the Union; mother, whose maiden name was Crooks, born in Henderson County, Ky. Father, small farmer and flat-boat-man, he having made twenty-one voyages out of the Wabash River and its tributaries to New Orleans. Early education neglected. Occasionally attended the neighborhood schools in winter, when the weather was unsuitable for work on the farm and in the "clearing," and for a short time attended an academy at New Lebanon, Ind. Began the study of law just before the breaking-out of the late war, and in April, 1861, enlisted as private in Company I, Seventeenth Indiana Volunteers (afterward mounted and formed part of "Wilder's Brigade" of Mounted Infantry in the Army of the Cumberland). Was in active field service with the regiment until after the battle of Chickamauga and the campaign which followed, when in January, 1863, went before Board of Regular and Volunteer Officers, at Nashville, Tenn., organized for the purpose of examining applicants for commissions in colored troops. Received commission as First Lieutenant, and was assigned to the Seventeenth United States Colored Infantry to date February 26, 1864. Commanded company in the battle of Nashville, December 15 and 16, 1864. Was promoted to Captaincy in same regiment, and while on duty at Decatur, Ala., received an accidental wound and was rendered unfit for field duty and was appointed Post Treasurer of Nashville, Tenn. and afterward Provost Mashal sic of that place. Was mustered out of the service with command on the 29th day of April, 1866, having served as volunteer five years to a day. On receiving discharge, came immediately to Miami County, Kan., and renewed the study of law and worked on farm. Was married to Miss Gertrude Pratt November 28, 1867, and as the fruits of said marriage there have been born three children--Flora Ann, born September 8, 1869, and died February 24, 1875; James Horace, born December 23, 1872; Nora, born July 11, 1880. Continued the study of law under the direction of Maj. B. F. Simpson, and practiced in Justice Court until December, 1874, when he was admitted to the practice of law in the District Court at Paola, Kan., and in the following March removed to that place and established himself in the profession, and continued to reside there until in the month of March, 1883, when he removed to Kingman, Kingman Co., Kan., for the purpose of making it his future home. In politics, he is a Republican.
CHARLES L. RAYMOND, attorney at law, is the son of Jonathan and Catharine Raymond, both natives of Massachusetts. He was born in Illinois June 14, 1852. His first education was received at the common school, but when about twelve years old he entered the Oswego Academy of Illinois, which he attended for two years, leaving which he entered the Newark Seminary, and, after having attended there for two years, went to the Normal University at Bloomington, Ill., which he attended for five years, graduating from there in June, 1872. After leaving the university, he was engaged as Principal of the public school at Mason City, Ill., which position he held for two years. Whilst thus engaged, he devoted a great deal of time to the study of law, and in July, 1874, was admitted to practice at the bar at Ottawa, Ill. He then went to Bloomington, where he opened a law office, and entered upon the practice of his profession, which he pursued until 1877, when he moved to Kansas and located at Wichita, from which point, in 1878, he went to Kingman, where he resumed practice. In the fall of 1880, he was elected county attorney of Kingman County, and served as such for two years.
CHARLES RICKMAN, County Clerk, was the third child and second son born to Frederick and Anna Rickman, both natives of Germany. Charles was born at Luebeck, on the Baltic Sea, September 1, 1842. His only opportunity of obtaining an education when a boy was in attending an evening school, established for the benefit of the children of seafaring men in his native town. When thirteen years old, he went to sea, and followed seafaring life until 1872. While sailing, he read and studied works on navigation, and, having saved sufficient money to defray the expenses of attending school, he entered a navigation school in 1866, where he remained a year, and acquitted himself so satisfactorily that he received a first-class certificate as to his competency to take charge of a vessel. Leaving school, he again went to sea, shipping as first mate, which position he held for six years. January 21, 1870, he was married in his native town, to Miss Paulina Schroeder, the issue of the marriage being one child--Anna, born at Luebeck December 3, 1870, died; December 25, 1871. His wife survived the birth of her child but seventeen days, dying December 20, 1870. In 1872, Mr. Rickman came to the United States and located in Chicago, where he remained until the fall of 1876, when he moved to Kansas, and located in Kingman County, where he settled upon a claim. In the fall of 1877, he was elected to the office of County Clerk, to which he was re-elected in the fall of 1879, and again in 1881, and which he is now occupying.
EUGENE ROLLMANN, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Pretty Prairie, Reno County, owns 160 acres, eighty under cultivation, with a fine orchard partly bearing, with three acres in cultivated timber; a dwelling of two stories, 16x32, granary and hen house; has five horses, ten cows and calves and over thirty hogs. He was born in Prussia July 11, 1835, and came to the United States in 1855, and after spending one year in Wisconsin, he located in Peoria, Ill. In November, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Eleventh Regiment Illinois Cavalry, Robert G. Ingersoll's regiment, and served with his command in the Western army, and participated in the engagements of Shiloh, Corinth and Iuka, Sherman's expedition to Enterprise, Miss., and a number of minor engagements, and was promoted to Quartermaster Sergeant and Sergeant Major. In 1863, he was promoted to First Lieutenant, and Regimental Quartermaster, and served in that capacity until mustered out in October, 1865, when he returned home and received the appointment of Assistant United States Assessor, which position he occupied for several years, after which he engaged in the grocery business. In 1879, he came to Kansas and located on his present farm. He was married in 1866 to Miss Mary M. Steel, a native of New Orleans, La. They have four children--Charles, Alexander, Henry and Annie. He is a Mason and a member of the G. A. R.
HARRY LEFEVRE STROHM is the son of Issac and Margaret Guthrie Strohm, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Ohio. He was born in Green County, Ohio, June 7, 1852. In 1869, he entered Miami University, in Butler County, Ohio, which he attended until 1873, when he entered the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, completing his education with the class of '74. In 1876, he was admitted to the practice of law at Xenia, Ohio, and opened an office for the practice of law at Dayton. In 1879, he moved to Kansas and located at Wichita, where he continued the practice of law until 1880, when he located at Kingman and established a bank, now the Bank of Kingman. Subsequently he severed his connection with the bank, and is now devoting himself exclusively to the practice of his profession with marked success.