|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
COL. E. BARKER, farmer, P. O. Jewell City, was born in Maine, August 12, 1816; removed to Manhattan in Riley County, Kan.; thence to Jewell County in 1870, and is now the owner of 100 acres of land, well improved, with a fine house, the same being situated adjoining the town of Jewell City. The colonel was in the special service of the United States army for over four years; was Colonel of the Third Regiment, Second Brigade of Sixth Division of the Maine State Militia for over seventeen years. Has held office of Deputy Sheriff in Oxford County, Minn., for two years; was the first Notary Public in Jewell County, and administered the oath of office to the first county officer. Served in the State Senate of Kansas for the twenty-eighth district for two years; was next elected Sergeant-at-arms of the State Senate for two years. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Married in Salisbury, N. Y., September 23, 1840, to Miss C. E. Little, and they have five children - Mary C., Victoria V., Ruth S., Onora M. and C. E.
LESLIE A. and H. G. BREED, farmers, P. O. Jewell City. Leslie A. was born in Erie County, Pa., December 11, 1855, removed to Johnson County, then to Linn County, thence to Missouri, and came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1873, and took a homestead and timber claim; and the father and son are now the owners of 320 acres of land, and they keep about 60 head of cattle and 120 fine head of hogs. Leslie A. held the office of Township Clerk for four years. He was married December 4, 1879, at McCabe Chapel, in Brown's Creek Township, Jewell Co., to Miss Elizabeth Morgan. They have one child - Otto.
DR. G. S. CHRIST, was born in Lehigh County, Pa., October 31, 1839; removed to Illinois, thence to Jewell County, Kan., October 1, 1870, and engaged in the practice of his profession; also took a homestead, and now owns the same. Attended the Medical department of the State University of Pennsylvania, located at Philadelphia. and graduated in 1866. Is a member of the Odd Fellows, K. of P. and P. O. S. of A. lodges. In the Odd Fellows Lodge he has held office of Past Grand, in the Masonic, Senior Warden, and in K. of P., High Worthy Chancellor. The doctor has been one of the Examiners of the Board of Education of Jewell County. Was in the United States army for two years as Citizen Sergeant. Was married October 30, 1860, in Lehigh, Pa., to Miss Eliza Warmkessel, now deceased. They had three children - Emma, George, and Jacob.
D. F. DILLMAN, livery, was born in Decatur County, Ind., February 21, 1854. Removed to Iowa in 1856 with his parents, thence to Cass County, Neb., thence to Wyoming Territory. Came to Jewell City in 1874, and took a homestead in Washington Township the same year. Held the office of Constable and City Marshal of Jewell City. Mr. Dillman left home when but fifteen years old to do for himself, and all that he has was accumulated by his own individual effort.
E. D. HEINECKE, grocer, was born in Washington, D. C., August 11, 1839; removed to Bucyrus, Ohio, at three years of age; in 1857 went to Van Wert, Ohio, where he clerked. Went from there to Kankakee, Ill., in 1859, and clerked for F. Samuel before entering the army, and after returning was again employed by Mr. Samuel as cashier in his store, until he commenced business himself in 1866. He was burned out in March, 1871. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the United States army in Company F, Seventy-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry and was one of the sergeants of the company; was discharged in June, 1865; was wounded, being shot through the left lung at Blakeley, Ala. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in May, 1871, and took a homestead. He commenced business in Jewell City in 1880 under the firm name of Heinecke & Wyland. Held the office of Deputy Postmaster of Jewell City, also at Waterville, Marshall Co., was District School Clerk. He is a member of the G. A. R; is a married man, and has three children - Anna P., Charles W. and Jesse.
R. W. HILL, general merchant, was born in Greene County, Ill., June 16, 1849. In 1869 he came to Washington County, Kan., and to Jewell County in 1874, and engaged in general merchandising. In 1881 he built a large store room, 28x100 feet, and stocked it with from $15,000 to $20,000 worth of goods, and is now doing a tremendous business. He was married in Pike County, Ill., in May, 1875, to Miss L. Bashforth. They have three children - Alice, Richard and Helen. Mr. Hill belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
JOHN M. HUTCHISON, druggist, was born in Northumberland County, Pa., March 13, 1842, moved to Stephenson County, Ill., came to Jewell County in 1871, and took a homestead. Engaged in the drug business in July, 1873. Was elected to the Kansas State Legislature in 1878. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., and the Odd Fellows lodges. He was married March 22, 1875, in Jewell City, Kan., to Miss Temperance Jordan. They have one child - Mary Leonora, born May 14, 1881.
C. C. KING, farmer and stock dealer, P. O. Jewell City, was born in Springwater, N. Y., July 9, 1838; removed to Iowa in 1855; thence to Nebraska in 1860. At the breaking out of the war he enlisted as private in Company F, Fifteenth Iowa Infantry. Was discharged in September, 1862, for disability. Re-enlisted in March, 1863, in Company M, Second Nebraska Cavalry, to serve nine months; discharged in December following, and returned to his farm in Nebraska. He was married March 20, 1864, to Miss Lucinda J. Horner. Again he entered the army, August 15, as Sergeant in Company K, Forty-eighth Missouri Infantry. At the close of the war he returned to Nebraska; came to Jewell County in 187l, and took a homestead adjoining Jewell City. Is now the owner of 640 acres of land, mostly under cultivation. Also a herd of 125 cattle. Was elected County Commissioner and President of the board in 1875. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., A. O. U. W. and G .A. R. They have had nine children - Edd H., Frank V., Dora May (deceased), Rosa A., Levi A., C. Burtie (deceased), Otto C., Roscoe J. and Nellie.
MORAND KING, hotel and livery, was born in Canada, June 18, 1870. He came to Nebraska in 1867, and to Jewell County, Kan., in 1871, and took a homestead; came to the town of Jewell City in 1876, and engaged in the livery business. In June, 1881, he took charge of the City Hotel of Jewell City. Mr. King started in the world with but little money, but by perseverance and push has accumulated considerable property. Was married May 15, 1871, in Richardson County, Neb., to Miss Catherine Keffer, and has four children - Powell, born June 29, 1872; Morand, born June 15, 1874; Kate, born April 14, 1876; Mary, born December 15, 1878.
A. W. KREAMER, lumber merchant, was born in Center County, Pa., December 6, 1844. He attended school at Marklseville Normal Institute. Also attended the Union Seminary in Union County, Pa. He united with the Evangelical Church, and has been a minister of that denomination from 1867 until the present time. He came to Jewell City, Kan., in February, 1879, when he had charge of the church at that place, until 1880. He then engaged in the lumber business. Was married in Montoursvilie, Lycoming Co., Pa., August 10, 1869, to Miss L. A. Strevey, and has two children - William E., born August 31, 1871 and Roland A., born November 4, 1873.
H. A. LEWIS, grain dealer, was born in Georgia December 7, 1859; attended an academy, also St. Benedict College, Atchison, Kan. Came to Jewell City in August, 1872, and engaged in the grain business, and is also purchasing grain in Mankato. Mr. Lewis was in the grain business with his father in Atchison for six years. Is a member of the Odd Fellows' Lodge, and K. of P. Mr. Lewis has just branched out in business for himself, and is working up a good trade. He is young and enterprising, and will come to the front in the commercial world.
O. L. McCLUNG, farmer, P. O. Jewell City; was born in Clermont County, Ohio, April 17, 1841; removed to Riley County, Kan., in 1868; came to Jewell County in 1870, and took a homestead. When Mr. McClung settled in Jewell County, he, with others, built a sod fort on the present town site of Jewell City, to protect themselves from the Indians. Has held office of Township Trustee; was elected Treasurer of Jewell County in November, 1881, and took his office October 10, 1882. Is a member of the Masonic order, and G. A. R. Enlisted in the United States army, Company F, Sixty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in October, 1861, and was discharged in July, 1865. Was married in Smith County August 20, 1877, to Miss M. C. Barns.
A. L. MARKS, general merchant, was born in Prussia August 7, 1842. He came to America in June, 1855, and located in Chicago, Ill. In 1861 he enlisted in Company K, Thirteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He enlisted May 22, 1861, and was discharged June 24, 1865. Was taken prisoner May 17, 1864; was in prison at Cahaba, Ala., and Meridian, Miss., and was held until April, 1865. Returned to Chicago, then went to Lee County, Iowa, the same year; thence to Missouri; thence to Nebraska; thence to Jewell City, Kan., where he went into the merchandise business, and went in debt for his first stock. Has built his store rooms in Jewell City, one building 20x55 feet, and the other 24x55 feet, two stories high. By energy and perseverance Mr. Marks has made money, and now carries a stock of $13,000. Has held the office of City Counsel, Police Judge, and the office of Justice of the Peace for the past five years. He is a member of the G. A. R., A. O. U. W. and K. of P. Was married in Iowa, April 16, 1866, to Miss Jeanetta Hirsh, and has three children - Bertha, Dora and Daniel.
J. C. POSTLETHWAITE, attorney and banker, was born in Mifflin County, Pa., August 22, 1848. He attended school at Mount Union, Pa., and came to Manhattan, Kan. in 1869, and worked in the banking establishment of W. P. Higinbotham. Came to Jewel (sic) County in 1870, and took a homestead. He studied law, and was admitted to practice in 1873 and has been engaged in the practice of his profession ever since. The Jewell City Bank was organized in 1880, when Mr. Postlethwaite became cashier and one of the owners. He is a Mason, and was the first Master of the Jewell City Lodge, organized in 1873, and has held said position for six terms. He was married November 8, 1870, in Manhattan, to Miss Louisa McClung. Has four children - Robert, Jessie, William and John.
S. R. WORICK, postmaster, was born in Stephenson County, Ill., March 4, 1842. He enlisted in the United States army September 17, 1861, in the Fifth Wisconsin Battery, and was discharged June 14, 1865, when he returned to Illinois. He came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1870, and took a homestead near Jewell City. Mr. Worick became a member of the Town Company that laid out Jewell City in May, 1870. He was appointed Postmaster in November, 1874, and has held the office ever since. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married in Illinois, January 1, 1867, to Miss Lizzie H. Matter, and has four children - Nelly, Lewis, Ralph and Mabel.
Salem, situated ten miles east of Burr Oak, in the fertile and far famous valley of White Rock, is an inland town, bnt (sic) enterprising, prosperous, and enjoying an excellent trade. It is without a railroad, but has good prospects of having the Central Branch extended from Burr Oak. It was laid out, January 25, 1872, by H. S. Browning, C. P. Miller, and George W. Smith, the site taking a portion of their adjoining farms. The location is a pleasant one, and the country surrounding is fertile and quite thickly settled. The first house was built by Browning & Smith, in March, and occupied by Wilson Bros., of Scandia, with a stock of general merchandise. The second store was opened, June 1, 1872, by J. M. Parker. Messrs. Miller and Smith, both of the Free Methodist Church, have left the town, and are abroad as ministers of that denomination.
Within a decade Salem and the surrounding country have made marked progress. The town has a population of about 300, and is steadily growing. It has good schools, and three religious organizations. The United Brethren, organized in 1872, under Elder Bird. On the Salem circuit they now have six churches and 150 members. Rev. Andrew Poulson is the present pastor. The Methodists, organized in 1877, with fifteen members. They have been prosperous, and are expecting soon to erect a house of worship. Rev. Mr. Breckenridge is their present minister. The Free Methodists were organized in 1872, by Rev. C. P. Miller, one of the Town Company, with five members. They have increased to seventy-five. Rev. John Whiting, of the Mankato circuit, is their pastor.
Salem Chronicle. - This paper was started at Nelson, Neb., in 1879, by J. Wilkes More, and removed to Salem, Jewell County, in 1882. It is a seven-column folio, Greenback and Anti-Monopoly in sentiment, and, although a new comer, it has secured a fair circulation.
J. WILKES MOORE. Mr. Moore was born in Pittsburg (sic), Pa., March 16, 1840. Received a collegiate education, graduating at Iowa State University. In 1861 he joined the First Regiment, Company G, Davenport, Iowa, and in August, 1862, joined Company G, Twentieth Iowa. Was in the battles of Wilson's Creek, Perry Grove, Vicksburg, Morgan and Mobile. Entered the service as a private and was promoted to the position of Captain. After the war he returned to Davenport, and became afterwards Marshal and Chief of Police of that city. In 1876 was a steel-blower for the Bessimer (sic) Steel Co. of Pittsburg (sic) Edited the Davenport daily and weekly Banner in 1869-70, and in 1871 established the Douglas County (Illinois) Democrat at Arcola. In 1879 established the Salem (Kansas) Chronicle at Nelson, Nebraska, which he removed to Salem in 1882. Mr. Moore is a man of excellent principles, ability and energy, and in connection with G. W. Reede is making the Salem Chronicle a paper worthy of the largest town in the county.
GEORGE W. REEDE was born in Madison County, N. Y., January 28, 1857. Received an academic education and graduated at the Albany (N. Y.) law school. Practiced his profession for a short time in his native State, removing to Salem, Kansas, in 1880, and in 1882 joined Mr. Moore in the publication of the Chronicle.
This is a finely-located village in the eastern part of the county, fifteen miles from any other town. It is in the middle of the renowned Marsh Valley, quite as fertile but not as famous as White Rock Valley. It was laid out in May, 1877, by J. O. & A. J. Godding, J. Fogle and C. Green, and has become a village of over 200 population. The first store in Omio was opened in July, 1877, by G. A. Boal. The schools are in good condition. The Baptists organized in 1877 and the Methodists in 1880. A branch society of the Independent Order of Good Templars was in instituted by E. Crew, G. W. S. of Kansas, in December, 1878. The society has about forty members, and is doing good work. The present officers are: R. W. Turner, W. C. T.; Mrs. S. P. Morse, W. V. T.; J. M. Althouse, P. W. C. T.; W. G. Barge, W. M.; H. J. White, Chaplain; Mrs. S. S. Vaughn, W. R. S.; H. McClann, W. F. S.; Mrs. J. Andrews, W. T.; C. Fogle, L. D.; S. P. Morse, I. G.; T. Low, O. G.; Mrs. Mary Althouse, R. H. S.; E. Turner, L. H. S.; and T. Surtevant, W. D. M.
B. F. DOW, merchant, was born in the State of Maine, January 13, 1845. Removed to Wisconsin in November, 1853. Enlisted in the Union army February 22, 1864, in Company K, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry; discharged June 26, 1866. After he returned to Wisconsin, came to Jewell County, Kan., in September, 1871, and took a homestead. Engaged in merchandising in the town of Omio, February 11, 1879. Built a stone store building, 20x40 feet, in 1880, and is now carrying a stock of general merchandise. Was married in Chilton, Wisconsin, on the 7th day of June, 1870.
R. G. PATTERSON, merchant and stock-dealer, was born in the North of Ireland, September 25, 1845. Came to America with his father in 1848, and located in Sauk County, Wis. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1871, and took a homestead two miles east of Omio, where he now lives. Engaged in general merchandising in Omio in 1878, and built his store building the same year. Deals in stock, and keeps 400 head of cattle, 325 head of sheep, 25 head of horses, and is the owner of 960 acres of land. Mr. Patterson is a self-made man, as he was compelled to make his own start in the world, by his own individual efforts. Was married in Milwaukee, Wis., October 13, 1867, to Miss Mary J. McMurray. They have three children - Jessie, born November 16, 1871; Edward, born April 4, 1873; Liddie, September 25, 1876.
CHARLES S. VAUGHN, editor, was born in Medina, Ohio, September 18, 1815. He received an academic education in his native town. In the spring of 1863 he joined Battery F, Fourteenth New York Artillery. Was in the army of the Potomac under Burnside. He was captured at the battle of Weldon Railroad, and confined as a prisoner of war for four months at Pemberton, Libby and Belleville prisons. He was recaptured at Fort Steadman, but was held only six days. After the war he engaged in the stock business in Wisconsin. In 1873 came West and homesteaded in Jewell County, and in August, 1881, in conjunction with his brother, established the Western Advocate at Omio, a small town and without railroad communication, but the paper in size and matter would seem to come from a large railroad city. They are deserving of great credit for their ably conducted journal.
S. F. VAUGHN, brother of C. S. Vaughn, was born in Calumet County, Wis., in 1854. With a limited common school education, he commenced the printing business, an excellent school, at the age of fourteen. Established the Black Creek (Wis.) Journal in 1877, and the Northern Wisconsin News in 1879. Came West in August, 1881, and with his brother established the Western Advocate at Omio.
Holmwood, situated on the White Rock, eight miles north of Mankato and five miles east of Burr Oak, is a young and flourishing town, but was unfortunate when the Central Branch Railroad went to Burr Oak, only five miles west on the same stream. But, surrounded by a fertile and well-settled district, the town has continued to grow, yet more slowly than before. If there is ever a railroad built across the county, from east to west, it will be likely to pass up the valley of the White Rock. The schools are prosperous, and there are two religious denominations here - the Baptist and Methodist.
Rubens, three miles east of Holmwood, and Ionia, on Limestone Creek, are towns similar in size and location to Holmwood and Omio. Being without railroad communication, these towns are not making many substantial improvements, yet are enjoying a fair local trade in general merchandise and farm machinery.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - IONIA TOWNSHIP.
J. E. and J. C. BAGGOTT, farmers, P. O. Ionia. J. E. was born in Bradford, Pennsylvania, June 29, 1852. Came to Doniphan County, Kan., in 1869, and to Jewell County in 1873, and took a homestead ten miles southwest of Mankato, and the three Baggott brothers own 1,080 acres of land. J. C. was born in Pennsylvania, May 28, 1855. Came to Kansas at the same time his brother, J. E., came. The brothers have made most of their money by their diligent efforts, and are bound to be among the rich men of Western Kansas.
WILLIAM BARNETT, farmer, P. O. Ionia, was born in Bourbon County, Ky., July 8, 1824. Removed to Vermillion County, Ill. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1871, and took a homestead, and is now the owner of 320 acres of land. Held the office of School Treasurer for nine years last past. Was married in Vermillion County, Ill., September 17, 1851, to Miss A. J. Walston, now deceased. Was married a second time in Edwards County, Ill., in December, 1856, to Miss Nancy Barnett. He is the father of four children - Susan J., Robert, Martha E. and Lolie. Mr. Barnett is one of Jewell County's best and most respected citizens, and has done much toward the up-building of the county.
FRED BEELER, stockdealer and farmer, P. O. Ionia, was born in Linn County, Iowa, January 15, 1844. He came to Jewell County, Kan., in April, 1870, and pre-empted and took a homestead sixteen miles southwest of Mankato. He is now the owner of 800 acres of land, and keeps 500 head of cattle, 725 hogs and 20 head of horses. He is also Director of the First National Bank of Cawker City, in Mitchell County. When Mr. Beeler settled in Jewell County it was necessary to watch as well as pray, as the settlers had to contend with the Indians. On the 9th of May, 1870, three men were killed at Glenelder, in the Solomon Valley. After this, Mr. Beeler, as foreman of the settlers, built the first successful stockade ever built on the Solomon River. Mr. Beeler richly deserves the large fortune he has accumulated since he settled in Jewell County. He was married in Jewell County, October 13, 1878, to Miss Eliza Scott; they have two children - Fred, born October 4, 1879, and Ella, born October 14, 1882.
HERMAN COLSON, postmaster of Ionia, Kansas, was born in North Abington, Mass., March 5, 1849. Moved to New Jersey, thence to West Virginia, thence to Jewell County, Kan., in 1873, and took a homestead sixteen miles southwest of Mankato. Was appointed postmaster, July 13, 1878. In April, 1882, he was succeeded by B. F. Pound for two months, when Mr. Colson was again appointed, and still holds the office. He has held the office of Township Treasurer for four years, and was Clerk of the school board for the same length of time, and is Treasurer of the Limestone Agricultural Association. He is a Mason, and was married in Beloit in February, 1880, to Miss Elizabeth E. Ely. They have two children - Ernest E. and Dice.
E. R. HOAG, farmer and stock-dealer, P. O. Ionia, was born in Peoria County, Ill., December 26, 1844. Came to Jackson County, Kan., and to Jewell County in the fall of 1871, where he took a homestead eleven miles southwest of Mankato, and is now the owner of 320 acres of land, and feeds 200 head of cattle. In July, 1861, he enlisted in the United States army, in Company A, Illinois Second Light Artillery. Discharged October 4, 1864. Was married April 22, 1869, in Tazewell County, Ill., to Miss Catherine Anderson. They have four children - Winter, Emita, Mary and Clay B.
F. L. POUND. merchant, Ionia, was born in Wayne County, N. Y., May 15, 1844. Removed to La Salle County, Ill., in 1860. Enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry in August, 1862; was discharged in June, 1865, when he returned to Odell, Ill. He came to Jewell County, Kan, in 1870, and took a homestead nine miles from Mankato. Is now doing business in Ionia, in same county in a room 34x50 feet, two stories high, built in 1882. Held office of Justice of the Peace and Notary Public. Is a member of the Odd Fellows' fraternity. He was married in Illinois in 1868, to Miss Susan M. Downing, of Lyman, Mass., now deceased. His second marriage was to Miss Libbie Winslow, of Pontiac, Ill., February 8, 1874. He is the father of three children - Florence B., Ora and Lottie.
ROBERT WILDMAN, P. O. Ionia, was born in Ireland, February 25, 1848. Came to America in 1850, and located in Kankakee County, Ill. Came to Solomon City, Kan., and to Jewell County in February, 1870, and took a homestead eighteen miles southwest of Mankato, and is now the owner of the same. He and his brother are the owners of 200 head of hogs, and from 80 to 100 head of cattle. When Mr. Wildman settled in Jewell County, he was compelled to work out by the month, herding cattle etc., until he got a start in the world, so it is plain to be seen that a man can flourish and make money in this county if he will but put forth the effort. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married in Jewell County, Kan., October 28, 1875, to Miss Emma C. Davis. They have three children - Blanche, Lee and Bert E. Mr. Wildman has held the office of Township Treasurer.
ALBERT CHANDLER, P. O. Cawker City, is a native of the State of Maine, having been born in Ellsworth, Hancock County, in said State, in the year 1841. Young Chandler and his parents came to Kansas in 1856, and located in Brown County, near Hiawatha. The subject of this notice was a soldier in Company C, Seventh Kansas Cavalry, for four years and one month. After the war he was, until 1871, a practical farmer of Brown County; in that year he moved to Irving Township, Jewell County, where he now resides and cultivates a farm of 600 acres in Sections 8 and 17, in Town 5, Range 10. Mr. Chandler and Miss Lizzie Englehart were married in January, 1866, in Hiawatha, Kan.
D. H. DILLON, merchant, P. O. North Branch, was born in Keokuk County, Iowa, October 12, 1846. Enlisted in the United States army, in Company A, Forty-eighth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1873, and took a homestead ten miles northwest of Burr Oak, in Walnut Township. In the spring of 1878 Mr. Dillon established himself in business, carrying a general stock of goods. He built a building in 1882, 22x40 feet, and has the same well filled with goods. He was appointed postmaster in May, 1878, and named the office North Branch. With Malen Lamb, he has laid out a town, which they called after the postoffice. He was married in Warren County, Iowa, April 30, 1866, to Miss Emma Folger.
T. B. JOHNS, farmer, P. O. Athens, was born in Galena, Ill., April 8, 1841. In 186l he went to California, and back to Nevada in 1862; thence to Utah; thence to Idaho; thence to British Columbia; thence to Oregon; thence to Montana; thence to Wyoming; thence back to Utah; thence to Prescott, Arizona, back to Nevada, and again back to Illinois; thence to Queenstown, Ireland, and back to the United States, settling at Abilene, Kan., in 1871. Came to Jewell County in October, 1871, and is now the owner of 240 acres of land. Mr. Johns has been an extensive traveler, but becoming tired of traveling has for the past eleven years lived in Jewell County, and has found the soil of Kansas productive. Has held the office of Township Trustee. Was married in February, 1872, in Jewell County, to Miss Claire Farren; they have four children - Thomas C., Richard S., Carrie, and Franklin.
ISAAC JOHNSON, farmer, Section 10, Township 5, Range 6, P. O. Randall Station, came to Kansas in April, 1870, and located on his farm, in Allen Township, Jewell County, where he has resided since. He is a member of the Church of the United Brethren. He participated in the last war as a member of Company A, Ninety-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and enlisted in Nelsonville, Athens Co., Ohio, July 25, 1862, and was discharged at Washington, D. C., June 29, 1865. He took part in the battles of Hoover's Gap, Tenn., and Chickamauga, where he was severely wounded through the arm and shoulder, from which he suffers to-day. Mr. Johnson was born in Perry County, Ohio, December 30, 1829, and lived in his native State until his forty-second year, when he removed to Guthrie County, Iowa, where he lived until he came to Kansas. He was married in Morgan County, Ohio, in 1848, to Miss Ellender Teeter, a native of Ohio. They have four children living - Samuel Emmet (married to Miss Lizzie Cox, a native of Indiana), and G. William (a resident of Robinson Township; married to Miss Tavey Hachett, a native of Christie County, Ill.); Ida and Auwilda. Mr. Johnson has a bottom farm of eighty acres, mostly in cultivation. There is a peach orchard on the place which contains 600 young and thrifty trees. The water supply is good, there being a good well on the premises, and Buffalo Creek flows almost through the centre (sic) of the farm. The improvements consist of a small stone house, stock stable, stone corn-crib, etc. He had forty-five acres in corn in the season of 1882, which averaged twenty bushels to the acre, and five acres in millet which yielded two tons to the acre.
ISAAC NEES, farmer, of Brown's Creek Township, P. O. Jewell City, was born in Venango County, Pa. Removed to Warren County, Ill. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1871, and took a homestead twelve miles southwest of Mankato, and is now the owner of 560 acres of land; keeps eighty head of cattle and fifty head of hogs. Mr. Nees' farm is one of the best in Jewell County, and may be called the model farm of said county. He has each forty acres fenced with hedge, and has splendid improvements. Is a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity. He was married, November 20, 1864, near Havana. Ill., to Miss Sarah A. Edkins, and is the father of ten children.
J. A. WHITE, farmer, of Brown's Creek Township, P. O. Jewell City, was born in Carroll County, Ohio, March 30, 1838. Removed to Missouri; thence to Iowa. Came to Jewell County in 1852, and took a homestead twelve miles southwest of Mankato. He enlisted in the United States army in Company A, Thirty-first Iowa Volunteer Infantry, July 6, 1862, and was discharged, by reason of expiration of term of enlistment, July 3, 1865 in Davenport, Iowa. He is now the owner of 160 acres of land, and keeps thirty-five head of cattle and about that number of hogs. He was married in Morgan County, Ohio, March 27, 1858, to Miss Nancy E. Ellis. He is the father of nine children - Basil H., Lydia, Willie, Wilton, Thompson, Lucy, Mary, Charles and Clara.