|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
The Assessors of Jewell County, in their returns for 1882, give the following statistics, which fairly exhibit its wealth and prosperity: Acres of taxable land under cultivation 123,379; not under cultivation, 225,147; total, 348,526 acres. Of the total valuation of all real estate and personal property ($2,048,452), $1,146,206 is in taxable land. $102,360 in town lots, $656,030 in personal property, and 142,856 in railroad lands. Acres of winter wheat, 19,515; rye, 2,634; spring wheat, 17,509; corn, 120,734; oats, 5,211; barley, 70; buckwheat, 556; potatoes 1,885; sorghum, 739; tobacco, 15; broom corn, 614; millet, 4,891; Egyptian or rice corn, 226; tons of prairie hay, 20,247. Value of garden products, $3,989; pounds of cheese, 9,004; butter, 224,384. Number of horses, 7,543; mules, 1,038; cows; 5,342; cattle, 10,397; sheep, 2,817; swine, 35,925. Value of all animals sold for slaughter, $328,285. Number of apple trees, 78,167; peach, 150,465; cherry, 12,450; pear, 2,054; plum, 1,152.
The population of Jewell County for 1882, by towns, is as follows: Jackson, 449; Sinclair, 528; Vicksburg, 644; Grant, 563; Allen, 636; Montana, 662; Richland 504; Washington, 448; Buffalo, 648; Prairie, 658; Harrison, 637; Holmwood, 593; Central, 1,114; Calvin, 444; Brown Creek, 557; Walnut, 632; Burr Oak, 960; Limestone; 550: Odessa, 456; Athens, 656; Highland, 575; White Mound, 620; Ezbon, 576; Ionia, 514; Erving, 502. Total, 15,068.
Railroads. - The main line of the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, built by the Union Pacific, extends along the southern boundary of the county, a branch of which runs up the valley of the Buffalo to Burr Oak, on White Rock Creek. This line will soon be extended to Salem, and on to some connecting point on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad in Nebraska. It was built in 1878 and 1879, and has been of incalculable value to the county. At present there are no encouraging prospects of any part of the county's receiving better railroad facilities. The northern part of the county has the benefit of the Burlington & Missouri in Nebraska, the eastern part of the Scandia Branch of the Missouri Pacific, and the southern part of the main line of the Missouri Pacific. This county is not, however, so dependent upon close railroad communications, as it ships more hogs and cattle than any other county in the State, and consequently has a correspondingly less amount of grain to freight to market.
Mankato, formerly Jewell Center, is situated about the center of the county, on Sections 15 and 22, Township 3, Range 8 west. In Center Township, in 1872, a "town company" was formed, of which M. W. Whitney was President, P. S. McCutchen, Secretary, and G. S. Bishop, Treasurer. They surveyed and platted 320 acres, now included in the town site, and named it Jewell Center. Their design was to start a town and secure the county-seat. In the fall of 1872, C. W. Petigrew built and opened a store, and the future county-seat, in the minds of its projectors, was "started." A postoffice was established, and D. T. Vance, the present official, was the first postmaster. Early in 1873, the citizens of Jewell Center and the settlements on White Rock commenced to agitate the question of removing the county seat, as before stated. The similarity in the names of Jewell Center and Jewell City caused delays in mail, and two years ago the former place determined to select a new name. "Alta" was first chosen, but it was found to be the cognomen of another town in the State, and it was again christened, by the name it now bears - Mankato. This was given to it by H. R. Hill, who attended school at Mankato, Blue Earth Co., Minn.
The country around Mankato is the most rolling and broken of any part of the county. It was the last in the county to be taken up, and it was thought when the first settlements were made that it would never be suitable for anything but grazing; but it now has some very fine farms. Had the land been as suitable for a town as Jewell City, it is quite likely the founders of that city would have chosen the present site of Mankato. Water is reached, in permanent supply, at a depth of from ten to ninety feet. This is certainly a great consideration to those who come here to live. The town is mostly settled by live young business men from the East, who brought with them, especially, the educational ideas of that older section of the country. The school advantages of Mankato have always, therefore, been good. The attendance is at present about 140. It is the purpose of the citizens soon to replace the wooden school building with the finest structure in the county.
There are four organized religious denominations here, namely: - the Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Lutheran. The last has been organized for about three years, but is at present without a pastor. Most of the members reside in the country. They are intending to soon erect a church building.
The Mankato Baptist Church was organized in 1876, by Rev. Mr. Howard. They worship in the Methodist Church, but are now making arrangements to build. They have about forty-five members, and Rev. J. Shutz is their pastor; he also has charge of East Buffalo Baptist Church, of eighteen members, which was organized in 1882, and of the Holmwood Church, with twenty-five members, organized in 1880.
The Presbyterian Church has about forty members, and was organized February 18, 1877, by Rev. A. R. Naylor and Elder R. R. McClung. November 28, 1880, they dedicated their church. It cost $1,400. Rev. A. R. Naylor supplied the pulpit until March, 1880, when he was succeeded by the present pastor, Rev. Warren Mayo, who also has charge of the Ionia Presbyterian Church, organized by himself, Rev. H. F. Albright, and Elder Patterson Alexander, May 11, 1882, with eight members.
The Methodist denomination organized in March, 1877. The membership has increased from ten to sixty-five. Rev. G. H. Woodward was pastor in 1877, '78 and '79. Rev. J. R. Schultz in 1880, and J. C. Dana in 1881, '82. The Mankato circuit includes three other points in the county.
Mankato has reached a population of over 600, and is steadily increasing in business and wealth. The town has grown more rapidly since the completion of the Central Branch, three years ago, than for any equal period previous. It was incorporated as a city of the third class, April 22, 1880. The first city officers were: B. J. Thompson, Mayor; A. Evans, City Clerk; L. P. Vance, Treasurer; J. W. McRoberts, Police Judge; M. Stone, C. Angevine, L. M. Butts, S. C. Bowles and G. S. Bishop, Councilmen.
THE PRESS, SOCIETIES, ETC.
The Jewell County Monitor was established at Jewell Center, now Mankato, May 19, 1874, with Frank Kirk as editor and publisher. The press and equipment was purchased by the citizens of Mankato of A. B. Wilder, Belleville, Kan., having been used in printing the Belleville Republic. In June, 1874, W. P. Henderson succeeded Mr. Kirk as publisher, and in October following, Byron J. Thompson became editor and sole proprietor. In April, 1878, it was consolidated with the Diamond, edited by M. Winsor. B. J. Thompson soon bought out the establishment, and continued as editor until April, 1882, when he sold to W. S. Thompson. In October, 1882, Mr. Thompson sold the paper to Vaughan Brothers, who had been publishing the Western Advocate, at Omio, since August, 1881, The Monitor is an eight-column folio, Republican in politics.
Jewell County Review. - This paper, which enjoys the largest circulation of any paper in the county, was established in July, 1879, by L. D. Raynolds, and purchased by M. Winsor, formerly connected with the Clarion and Diamond of this county. It is an eight-column folio, printed on a steam-power press. Mr. Winsor has been for a long time in the newspaper business, and issues a neat, spicy, well-edited paper, although it is independent in politics and published in a Republican county.
Mankato Lodge, No. 186, I. O. O. F., was instituted May 28, 1881. The society is in a flourishing condition, with forty-five members. Officers: C. Angevine, N. G.; N. Stone, V. G.; J. F. Hudson, Sec'y, and L. A. Saunders, Treas.
Mankato Lodqe, No. 87, A. F. & A. M., was instituted March 18, 1882. L. M. Butts, W. M.; E. E. Chapman, S. W.; B. W. Slagle, J. W.; L. P. Vance, Treas., and A. Evans, Sec'y. They have about forty members in good standing.
Jewell Lodge, No. 31, K. of P., was instituted September 22, 1880, and has seventy-five members, being the strongest society in the county. H. S. Hanley, C. C.; George Caswell, V. C.; Ira Harrison, K. of R. & S.
I. O. G. T., Lodge No. 180, organized February 3, 1881, and has seventy members. Rev. W. Mayo, W. C. T.; Miss Emma Nichols, W. V. T.; G. F. Van Velzer, W. S.; Rev. J. C. Dana, W. C.; F. W. Cutler, L. D.
Mankato has three hotels, the Central House, operated by W. O. John, being the first erected in the town. The Commercial House was built in 1878, by S. C. Bowles, its present owner. Its size is 34x60 feet; contains twenty-four rooms, and the house is well patronized.
F. A. BAUGHMAN, furniture, was born in Mahaska County, Iowa, February 18, 1853; removed to Cawker City, Mitchell County, Kan., in 1878, and engaged in the furniture business. Later he came to Mankato, Jewell County, and erected a building 25x50 feet, and stocked the same with furniture. Mr. Baughman is a young man, and full of energy and enterprise; he has been compelled to do for himself and make his own start in the world. He now carries a good stock of goods. Is a member of the masonic fraternity. Was married in Story County, Iowa, June 13, 1877, to Miss Blanche Hambleton.
S. C. BOWLES, Commercial Hotel, was born in Kentucky, April 15, 1842. In 1865 moved to Chicago, Ill., where he remained until 1867, when he again made a move, this time to Nebraska. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1870. In 1876 he built the Commercial Hotel of Mankato, a building 34x60 feet, two and a half stories high. The house is first-class in every particular, and the landlord understands how to run a hotel. Was married in Pottawatomie County, Iowa, May 3, 1868, to Miss Louisa Marshall.
JOHN BURNS, County Treasurer, was born in Delaware County, N. Y., September 4, 1831. Removed to Iowa, then returned to New York; soon after again moved, this time to Jewell County, Kan., in 1872. Was elected County Treasurer in 1873 and re-elected in 1875, and again elected in 1879, and still holds the office. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity. was married in Delaware, N. Y. in July, 1864, to Miss Jane Love, and is the father of two children - Edgar A. and Lulu.
L. M. BUTTS was born in Delaware County, N. Y., February 21, 1843; removed to McHenry County, Ill., in 1852, where he lived until the beginning of the war, when he enlisted September, 1861, in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, taking an active part in nearly every battle in the Army of the Potomac, and was honorably discharged in October, 1864. In the spring of 1871 he located in Jewell County, Kan., taking a quarter-section of land under the homestead act, and at the general election that fall was elected to the office County Treasurer, which office he held two years from the following July. In the fall of 1874 he started in the mercantile business in Mankato, since which time, by fair dealing, strict integrity and close attention, his business has steadily increased, and he now carries a $15,000 stock, in a building 40x62 feet. He also carries a full line of farm implements and deals in grain. He is Past Master of Mankato Lodge No. 87 A. F. & A. M., and is a member of Concordia Chapter No. 45 R. A. M., and the I. O. O. F. and K. P. lodges.
CASE, BISHOP & HERON, bankers. G. H. Case is a native of Ohio, and is a lawyer by profession. In 1861 he enlisted in the Union army, in Company E, Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Held the office of Recorder of Deeds, also Clerk of the District Court, in Jefferson County, Iowa; was elected to the Kansas State Senate in 1880. The banking house of Case, Bishop & Co. was organized in 1877. The second member of the firm, George S. Bishop, was born in Butler County, Ohio. He was a soldier in the United States Army; enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Sixty-second Ohio Volunteer Infantry. In 1871 he came to Jewell County, Kan., and was elected County Surveyor of Jewell County; was elected to the Kansas State Legislature for three terms. The third named member of the firm is D. Heron. He was born in Scotland in 1842; came to America with his parents when a child. In June, 1861, he enlisted in the army, in Company B, Fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry; returned to Fairfield, Iowa, where he studied law, and was admitted to practice before Judge Sampson in Jasper County; held the office of superintendent of Jefferson County, Iowa; came to Jewell County, Kan., and was elected to the State Legislature, and now holds the said office.
W. S. CHAPMAN, of the firm of W. S. Chapman & Co, merchants, was born in Jefferson County, Iowa, October 17, 1847; enlisted in Company F, Sixteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and remained until the close of the war. He came to Belleville, Republic County, Kan., in 1872, and engaged in merchandising; and in 1874 started a branch store in Mankato, Jewell County. Mr. Chapman came to Mankato and erected a business building 23x60 feet, with a wareroom 16x60 feet, and now carries a stock of from $10,000 to $12,000. The firm own 960 acres of land in Jewell County, 500 of which adjoin the town of Mankato; also owns a building and lots in Oberlin, Kan. He is a married man and father of two children - Walter and Clarence.
GEORGE W. COLLINS, real estate and farm loans, was born in England, December 12, 1858; came to America July 8, 1870, and settled in Republic County, Kan. Moved to Jewell County, and engaged in the printing business. In 1875, in company with N. W. Pettigrew, he established the Norton County Advance, and ran the same for eight months, when he sold out and moved to Mankato and engaged in the real estate and loan business, in which line he has been very successful. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Was married in Mankato, December 22, 1881, to Kate Monson.
O. G. COOPER, real estate and loans, was born in Ohio, January 25, 1838. Enlisted in the United States Army, in Company N, Third Ohio Cavalry, and remained in service about two years, when he returned to Fremont, Ohio. Came to Jewell County, Kan., August 28, 1881, and settled in Mankato, and engaged in the real estate and short time loan business. Is a member of the Royal Arcanum. Was married in Erie County, Ohio, December 24, 1861, to Miss Susan L. Prentice, and they have one child - Sallie E., born December 3, 1867.
J. J. DALTON, drugs. Born in Illinois, July 1, 1855; moved to Glenwood, Iowa, thence to Jewell County, Kan., in 1870. Came to Mankato in 1873; was appointed Treasurer of Jewell County, July 1, 1876, the very day he was twenty-one years old; has held the offices of Deputy Treasurer, Deputy Recorder, Deputy Clerk, etc., from 1873 to the present time. He engaged in the drug and jewelry business under the firm name of J. J. Dalton & Co., in l874, and is now engaged in the same line of business. He is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge, K. of P., and A. O. U. W.; holds the office of Noble Grand in the Odd Fellows, and Chancellor Commander in the K. of P. He was married in Jewell County, November 20, 1881, to Miss M. V. Snyder.
CAPT. JOHN W. ENOCH, farmer, P. O. Mankato, was born in Ohio, October 4, 1825. Removed to Northern Indiana, thence to Northwestern Missouri. Enlisted in the United States army in 1862, in Company C, Fifth Missouri Cavalry. He raised the Company for the service, and was elected its Captain. He served two years as quartermaster of the regiment. Was discharged in 1864, in St. Joseph, Mo., when he returned to Atchison County, Mo. Was elected to the State Legislature of Missouri, and held said office in 1869-'70. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1874, and was elected Justice of the Peace, and did a loaning business for two years, Is now engaged in farming, and owns 160 acres of land four miles from Mankato. Was married in Indiana, June 5, 1855, to Alice Eliza A. Kimball, and is the father of four children - J. W., C. F., Carrie and Alice.
S. H. HARRISON, attorney-at-law and loan agent, was born in Rutland County, Vt., January 17, 1837. Removed to Dodge County, Wis., in the fall of 1855. In the fall of 1859 he went to Minnesota. In 1862 he enlisted in the United States Army, in Company B, Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and was discharged in January, 1866. He was commissioned first lieutenant of Company C, Sixty-fifth Infantry, and returned to Wisconsin; thence to Harrison County, Mo. In the spring of 1875 he came to Jewell County, Kan., and located at Jewell City, after which he removed to Mankato, where he now resides. He was admitted to practice law in Harrison County, Mo. Is now doing business under the firm name of Harrison & Mechem. Has held the office of Justice of the Peace. He is the owner of 400 acres of land, 225 of which are under cultivation. He was married in Gravesville, Wis., March 4, 1858, to Miss Albina M. Godding; they have had five children - A. V., Lorena (now deceased), Francis E., S. H. and N. T.
L. S. HORNE, attorney-at-law, was born in North Carolina, September 28, 1828. Removed to Georgia, thence to Indiana, thence to Missouri, and came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1872. He enlisted in the United States Army, in Company H, Fifty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry; and was promoted from the ranks to the position of quartermaster. Was admitted to practice law in the State of Indiana, and again in Jewell County, Kan., where he has practiced his profession ever since his coming to Kansas. Mr. Horne was the president of the town company that proved upon the town of Mankato in 1874. Was married September 30, 1852, in Indiana, to Miss Ruth Barrett, now deceased. He was married a second time, to Miss Eliza C. Lee, November 22, 1874, and has five children - Rosa, Charles F., Belle, Albert G. and Ida. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
LEROY HULSE, merchant, was born in Ohio, January 10, 1848. Removed to Henry County, Iowa; thence to Jefferson County; thence to Illinois. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1876, and clerked for Chapman & Co. for several years. Commenced business for himself in September, 1882, and now has a stock of general merchandise, and is doing a good business. Was married in Mankato, June 20, 1880, to Miss Lizzie Howe, and has one child - Maud.
O. F. JOHNSON, Sheriff, was born in Norway. Came to America in 1850, and located in Wisconsin. Removed to Minnesota. Enlisted in the Union army, October 4, 1861, in Company K, Forty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; discharged February 14, 1866, when he returned to Freeport, Ill. Came to Jewell County, Kan., in 1870, and took a homestead in Vicksburg Township. Held office of Justice of the Peace in said township, being the first Justice of the Peace elected in the same; also held the office of Trustee for two terms. Was elected Sheriff of Jewell County in 1881, and now holds this office. Is a member of the K. of P. Mr. Johnson took out the first marriage license in Jewell County after its organization; was married in Vicksburg Township on the 17th day of June, 1871, to Miss Elizabeth Zimmer. They have one child - Harry A., born October 12, 1879.
J. M. KETCHUM, merchant, was born in Wayne County, Pa., February 3, 1850. In June, 1874, he was appointed postmaster at Pleasant Mount, Wayne County, Pa., which position he held unti (sic) 1879, when he came to Mankato, Jewell Co., Kan., and erected a storeroom 25x85 feet, one and a half stories high, and stocked the same with general merchandise and carries a stock of $12,000. He also runs a lumber business, his sales in that amounting to over $12,000 per annum. Mr. Ketchum stands at the head of one of the best establishments in Mankato, and by close application to business has accumulated a large amount of property. He was married in Iowa, May 17, 1882, to Miss Emma Baughman.
T. S. KIRKPATRICK, Clerk of the District Court, was born in Wisconsin April 29, 1849; moved to Minnesota; thence to Jewell County Kan, in July, 1870, and took a homestead ten miles east of Mankato. He was elected Clerk of the District Court of Jewell County in the fall of 1880, and unanimously nominated and elected for the same position in the fall of 1882. Is a member of the K. of P. Was married in Mankato, January 8, 1881, to Miss Florence Hildreth. Mr. Kirkpatrick states that he has killed buffalo in Sewell County as late as 1873.
J. J. La MAR, hardware, was born in Missouri, November 18, 1869. Removed to Nebraska, and again returned to Missouri. Attended school at the Seminary at St. Joseph, Mo.; also attended Commercial College. Came to Mankato, Jewell Co., Kan., in 1880, and established himself in the hardware business with L. H. Sanders. Mr. La Mar is erecting one of the beet store-rooms in Mankato, the building being built of stone, 25x80 feet, and two stories high. Was elected to the City Council of Mankato in the spring of 1882. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
J. R. MOSER, marble-works, was born in Warren County, Iowa, July 2, 1853. Removed to Madison County. In May, 1877, moved to Rush County, Kan, and came to Mankato, Jewell County, in 1878, and in December, 1881, established himself in the marble business. He is now doing a splendid business, shipping tombstones to different points.
DR. L. B. POWELL, drugs, was born near Frankfort, Ky., September 3, 1847. Remove to Illinois. In March, 1862, enlisted in Company D, Sixty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; transferred to Company G, One Hundred and Twenty-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry; was discharged in August, 1865, when he returned to Port Byron, Ill., and in 1869 went to Texas. In 1871 the Doctor was crossing the Staked Plains, at the head of the Concho River, when he, with his party of nine, was attacked by the Indians. Three of the men were killed and one committed suicide, and all of his party, including himself, were wounded. The Indians stole 1,000 head of cattle from the party. Dr. Powell, while in Texas, was appointed one of the State police by Gov. Davis. He same to Jewell County Kan., in l872. In 1875 he graduated at the Eclectic Medical College, at Cincinnati, Ohio, and returned to Jewell City, Kan., and engaged in the practice of his profession. Came to Mankato and went into the drug business under the firm name of Reynolds & Powell. Was elected Coroner of Jewell County in 1881. Is a member of the G. A. R. at Jewell City.
MANOAH STONE, Register of Deeds, was born in Iowa Territory (now Jefferson County, Iowa), May 11, 1843. Removed with his parents to Marion County in 1853, where he resided on a farm until the spring of 1860, when, like a great many others, he took the gold fever and went West to make his fortune, and spent several years in the various mining camps of Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Montana. He returned to the States in 1865; was married to Miss Mary P. McLean, May 15, 1867, at Knoxville, Iowa, and November of the same year removed to Richardson County, Nebraska, where he engaged in the occupation of teaching school until the spring of 1873, when he came with his family to Jewell County; was elected Trustee of Prairie Township, and served two terms; was elected Register of Deeds in 1875, and re-elected in 1877 and 1879, and now holds the office. He is also engaged in agriculture, having a valuable farm of 240 acres near the thriving town of Jewell City. Is a prominent member of Mankato Lodge No. 186 I. O. O. F.
BYRON J. THOMPSON was born in Gallia County, Ohio, in 1848. He received a high school education, and has since devoted the most of his time to teaching, in which profession he has been very successful; was principal of the public schools of Austin, Mo., and Louisville. He abandoned the profession on account of poor health. Purchasing the Jewell County Monitor, he sprang into the arena of journalism, where he is meeting with deserved success. He is one of the early settlers of Jewell County, is widely known and highly esteemed for his honesty, integrity and ability.
SMITH THOMPSON was born in Beaver County, Pa., January 15, 1834. Removed to Ohio in 1847; thence to Henry County, Iowa, in 1853. Enlisted in April, 1861 in Company F, First Iowa Volunteer Infantry, under the first call of the President. Enlisted again in the fall of 1861, in Company D, Fourteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and held a commission as Lieutenant in said company. Was wounded in the head and side at Shiloh, and in the thigh at Pilot Knob, Mo. He was afterward appointed First Lieutenant of Company F, Seventh United States Veteran Volunteers of First Army Corps (Hancock's). Was mustered out at Baltimore, June, 1866. Came to Jewell County in 1871. He is a member of G. A. R., Post No. 34.
D. J. VANCE, postmaster, was born in Elkhart County, Ind., June 19, 1840; removed with his parents to Jefferson County, Iowa, the spring of 1843. Enlisted in Company M, Fourth Iowa Cavalry, October 22, 1861; served in said company and regiment as First Sergeant until re-enlisted March 14, 1864, as private; commissioned and mustered as First Lieutenant of said company and regiment in May, 1864, and served in that position until mustered out at Atlanta, Ga., August 8, 1865, having been engaged in active service about all the time. Returned to Jefferson County, Iowa, after his discharge, and followed merchandising at Fairfield for three years, and farming three years, and in the spring of 1872, in company with N. G. Chilcott and family, removed overland to the place where Mankato, Kansas, now stands; being the only man left who now lives in the city of Mankato who was here at the time the town was started. Served as Deputy Clerk of District Court from June, 1883, until January 1, 1885; then served as Clerk of District Court for two terms, of two years each; was commissioned postmaster, when this office was established in October, 1872, and has held the office since that time. Is a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge at Mankato, Kansas. He is a married man and the father of five children now living - Varilla E., Alma A, Frank A., Julia May, Margaret C., and George S., deceased. Has been twice married; his first wife was a daughter of J. H. Allender, of Salina, Jefferson County, Iowa; his present wife is the oldest daughter of Prof. R. H. Bishop, of Oxford, Ohio, whose father was once president of the Miama University. D. J. Vance is of Scotch and German descent, his wife of Scotch descent. They have been identified with the best interests of the town and county in which they live.
LOUIS P. VANCE, of Mankato, Jewell County, Kan., was born at Goshen, Elkhart County, Ind., December 9, 1837; removed at four and a half years of age to Jefferson County, Iowa, with his parents; was a farmer till his twenty-second year; spent two years prior to the war of the Rebellion in the Colorado mining regions. Enlisted in the service of the United States in March, 1862, as a member of Company B, Thirty-fifth Missouri Volunteer Infantry; was promoted from the ranks through the grades of non-commissioned and two of the commissioned offices of the line; was mustered out in July, 1865, with his company with the rank of Captain, which rank he occupied about ten months prior to the close of the war. Returned to Fairfield, Iowa, and was, by election, Treasurer of Jefferson County eight years, during the years intervening January 1, 1868, and January 1, 1878. Entered into private banking at Mankato, Kansas, with Case, Vance & Co., in September, 1877; afterwards was engaged in brokerage, loan and other pursuits in Kansas. Was married May 6, 1868, at Fairfield, Iowa, to Miss Lizzie P. Heron. They had six children born to them - Minnie A., George C., Blanche L., Jessie May and Oscar Perry; the two latter died of scarlet fever, Oscar P. died April 1, 1879, aged two years, and Jessie M. died April 9, 1879, aged four years. Sibyl L., the junior member of the family, at the date of this compiling, was three years and six months old.
M. WINSOR, editor Mankato Review, has been one of the most prominent men in the county. He was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., March 20, 1840. He received only a common school education, yet a thorough one. He removed when eighteen to Illinois with his parents, and when twenty, went alone to Colorado, where he joined the First Colorado Cavalry in 1863, remaining in active service to the close of the war. His regiment was at the battle of Apache Canyon, New Mexico, when the Texan Rangers were defeated and four million dollars worth of Government property was saved at Fort Union. Soon after the close of the war he selected Jewell County as his future home, where he located on a homestead. In 1873 he established the Jewell County Diamond, which in 1878 was united with the Monitor, under the title, Monitor-Diamond. In 1876 Mr. Winsor and James A. Scarbrough wrote a history of the county, which was issued in pamphlet and to which this history is greatly indebted for its data. Mr. Winsor is now editing the Review at Mankato, an excellent county paper with perhaps the largest circulation of any paper in the county. He is a man of marked ability, and widely known and esteemed for his benevolence and kindness of heart.