|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
James Kuykendall, the pioneer man in county business in the old County of Calhoun had held the office of Sheriff in Platte County, Mo., for four years; had been Probate Judge for a decade, and a public man generally. Here he was Probate Judge, Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners, Register of Deeds, County Clerk, and Prosecuting Attorney, having performed his last official duties as prosecutor, receiving $80 for such service, in October 1859, in July 1860 $25 January 21, 1856, Anthony S. Wilson was appointed County Treasurer, Albert Fuller was elected in 1857, and Edward A. Squire was Treasurer, when Kansas became a State. Raleigh J. Fulton succeeded James T. Wilson as Sheriff, April 22, 1856; in November 1857, William Owens succeeded Fulton; in March 1859, Henry S. Westlake succeeded Owens, and Amos Landon held the office when Kansas was admitted as a State.
January 21, 1856, Thomas Jenner was appointed Public Administrator; January 18, 1858, George W. Brassbridge was appointed. Garrett S. Cozine was appointed Surveyor, June 16, 1856; J. B. Parrott, November 16, 1857; Thomas J. Anderson, November 25, 1859. The early Assessors were Perry Fleshman, Joseph M. Cole, John J. Preston was appointed June 25, 1859; Alfred Richards, April 5, 1860: Golden Silvers was the first under the State Government, appointed June 18, 1861. Ira I. Taber organized the first dozen school districts of the county; he resigned the office May 25, 1859; George W. Packard succeeded him; December 10. 1860, Stephen E. Olmstead was appointed. Mr. Taber was the first under the State Government. After the Kuykendall regime had ceased to be, Samuel Branham was County Clerk, but his duties were performed mainly by Lewis Stafford, Deputy. Mr. Stafford afterwards became Clerk, and was succeeded by Ira I. Taber, who held the office in 1862. Samuel Ashmore, of murder wife fame, was Clerk for a time in 1859. Isaac T. Hite succeeded Richard P. Beeler, May 12, 1857; Alfred Matthews and Cyrus G. Allen Succeeded Messrs. Alley and Kuykendall; Jesse Hendrickson was elected October 5, 1857. Chauncey J. Cowell, Robert C. Callahan and J. B. Parrott, were of the Board of Supervisors in 1858, and at the first term held at Holton, October 18, 1858. Mr. Cowell was Chairman and Lewis Stafford was Clerk. In 1859, the Supervisors were C. J. Cowell, Aaron Foster, and Byron Steward; in 1860, Mr. Cowell, William Cline and George Coleman, were the Commissioners; Mr. Cline, R. S. Craft, and J. W. Williams were the first under the State rule. Under the Territorial rule, the Clerks of the District Court for the greater part of the time were James R. Whitehead, of Leavenworth, and Laomi McArthur, of Topeka, represented almost wholly by Deputies, who were quite numerous. Martin Anderson succeeded Judge Kuykendall, and Judge Anderson was succeeded by Ward S. Hoaglin, who was the first Judge under State rule.
In the old court house at Holton, the officers were apportioned among the county officers July 7, 1860, in the following manner, as appears of record: Southeast room as the District Clerk's and Sheriff's office; the west room as the County Clerk's, Probate Judge, and Register of Deeds' office, and the northeast room as the office of the Treasurer and County Attorney. Following is a complete roster of the county officers since 1861:
County Commissioners, R. S. Craft, J. W. Williams, William Cline, 1861. J. W. Williams, S. J. Rose, N. Tolbert, 1862-63. J. G. Erwin, S. J. Rose, S. Fairbanks, 1864. J. G. Erwin, S. J. Rose, R. P. Hamm, 1865. Jacob Hixon, J. Loughmiller, A. McKeeber, 1866-67. C. J. Waynant, William Cline, J. Rippetoe, 1868-69. J. F. Pomeroy; G. W. Drake, W. H. Chase, 1870-71. William Cline, G. W. Drake, W. H. Chase, 1872-73. G. T. Watkins, D. Blosser, Geo. Coleman, 1874-75; F. Stephenson, H. Kirkpatrick, R. S. Gilles, 1876-77; John Deardorff, J. H. Bateman, E. L. Stalker, 1878-81; E. W. Kenyon, J. H. Bateman, E. L. Stalker, 1882.
Sheriff.-- Amos Landon, 1861-63; John N. Walton, 1864-65; B. T. Parkhurst, 1866-67; R. J. Waterhouse, 1868-69; F. Stephenson, 1870-73; A. H. Williams, 1874-77; B. F. Neisnander, 1878; E. F. Jones, 1879-82.
County Clerk.-- Ira I. Taber, 1861-62; Amos Landon, 1863; J. B. Waynant, 1864-67; Elisha D. Rose, 1868-75; J. G. Porterfield, 1876-81; John Q. Myers, 1882.
Register of Deeds.-- John B. Coffin, 1861; J. P. Irwin, 1862-63; Thomas G. Watters 1864-1865; George L. Hamm, 1866; L. V. Bryan, 1867-75; M. H. McCormick, 1876; Mrs. E. L McCormick, 1877; John Q. Myres, 1878-81; W. H. Webster, 1882.
District Judge.-- William C. McDowell, 1861-63; Jacob Safford, 1864; Charles K. Gilchrist, 1865-68; John T. Morton, 1869-80; Robert Crozier, 1881-82.
County Attorney.-- R. C. Callahan, 1861-62; C. K. Gilchrist, 1863-64; R. C. Callahan, 1865-66; M. L. Snyder, 1867-68; W. S. Hoaglin, 1869-70; John S. Hopkins, 1871-73; Charles Hayden, 1874; J. H. Lowell, 1875-76; Case Broderick, 1877-80; John S. Hopkins, 1881-82;
District Clerk.-- Aquila J. Reid, 1861; William H. Dodge, 1862; Aquila J. Reid, 1863-64; M. L. Snyder, 1865-66; J. L. Peck, 1867-68; Ira I. Taber, 1869-74; A. D. Walker, 1875-80; E. E. Birkett, 1881-82.
Probate Judge.-- W. S. Hoaglin, 1861-66; S. J. Foster, 1867; C. J. Cowell, 1868; Case Broderick, 1869-76; A. D. Stone, 1877-78; J. T. Price, 1879-82.
Surveyor.-- C. N. Johnson, 1862-63; John McCrury, 1864-66; Peter Bryant, 1867-73; Peter Dickinson, 1874-82.
Superintendent of Public Instruction.-- Ira. I. Taber, 1861-62; Jacob B. Waynant, 1863-64; William D. Bassett, 1865-66; James Telfer, 1867-68; R. M Cook, 1869-73; T. W. Ramey, 1874; Mrs. O. E. Stout, 1874-82.
October 9, 1857, Martin F. Conway was elected to the Topeka convention which met October 23. June 15, 1857, Henry D. Oden, of Elk City, and James Kuykendall, of Calhoun, were elected as delegates to the Lecompton convention which convened September 7, 1857. February 15, 1858, William E. Bowker, of Rochester, and Adam Fuller, of Franklin Township, were elected delegates to the Leavenworth convention which convened March 25, 1858.
In June 1859, Ephraim Moore, then and now living near Circleville, was elected from Jackson County over Aaron Foster as a delegate to the Wyandotte Constitutional Convention, which met July 5, and adjourned July 29, having adopted the Constitution, which with sundry amendments is now the organic law of Kansas.
The total vote of Jackson County cast October 4, 1859, on the Constitution, was 224 for, and 170 against. The vote in Calhoun County on the Lecompton Constitution, as submitted by the English bill, August 2, 1858, was 32 for it, and 250 against it. Jackson County, March 28, 1859, Mr. Moore's majority over Mr. Foster was 41 in a vote of 321. Mr. Moore acted with the Democrats in the convention and did not sign the Constitution. He was returned as a native of Ohio, a manufacturer, 38 years of age; hence in 1882 is 61.
At the State election, December 6, 1959, under the Wyandotte Constitution, the vote was evenly divided on State officers as near as might be. Root, Lieutenant Governor; Robinson, Secretary of State; Thoman, Treasurer; Griffith, Superintendent of Public Instruction; Ewing, Chief Justice; Simpson Attorney General; Conway, Congressman; - these seven Republicans each had one majority. Governor Medary, Democrat, had one majority over Governor Robinson; and for three State offices there was a tie vote. The highest vote polled on any office was 339. The vote on Senators was for Holliday and Buck, Democrats, 168 each; Lynde, Republican, 168; Farnsworth, Republican, 167. Ever since then Jackson County has been Republican at State elections, it having sent only one Democrat to the State Legislature. In 1874 its vote was the closet; in a vote of 1,130, Governor Osborn had a majority of 136.
In its county offices, since Kansas became a State, there have been Democrats in the offices of County Commissioner, Treasurer, County Clerk, Register of Deeds, County Attorney and Superintendent of Public Instruction. In the first Presidential election in which Kansas participated - that of 1864 - Jackson County polled 370 votes. Sixteen years later on President it cast 2,370, a gain of 2,000.
The Territorial Legislature of 1855 had no Representatives in either the Council or House who were residents on the soil that was organized into Calhoun County by that body. But on October 6, 1856, James Kuykendall and George L. Young were elected Representatives, and Francis J. Marshall, Councilman; Calhoun County giving a vote of 30 for Kuykendall, 22 for Young, 19 for Marshall and 52 for John W. Whitfield, for Territorial Delegate. Mr. Marshall lived at Marysville, and the counties of Arapahoe, Calhoun, Davis, Marshall and Riley vote for him, being in the Council district.
October 5, 1857, A. G. Patrick was elected councilman, the district being Calhoun and Jefferson counties. Asa Reynard, of Holton, was elected Representative. This was the beginning of Free-State triumphs. Marcus J. Parrott had for Delegate to Congress from Calhoun County 205 votes; E. Ransom, 39. Golden Silvers was elected Representative in 1858; Byron Steward in 1859. The counties of Atchison and Calhoun at that time constituted a Council district, and William J. Marion was returned as Councilman, but Milton R. Benton was admitted on a contest. Martin Anderson was elected Representative in 1860, and when Kansas was admitted as a State, January 29, 1861, Mr. Anderson was serving as such, his labors terminating February 2, 1861. He was the only State officer Jackson County ever had, having been State treasurer in 1867 and in 1868.
State Senators and Representatives.-- The first State Legislature, met March 26, 1861, Jackson County, which formed a part of the Sixth Senatorial District, was represented by Edward Lynde, of Jefferson, and H. W. Farnsworth, of Shawnee.
Under the Wyandotte Constitution the Sixth Election District was composed of the counties of Shawnee, Jefferson and Jackson; entitled to two Senators and eight Representatives. The Senators were H. W. Farnsworth, of Shawnee, and Edward Lynde, of Jefferson; the Representatives from Jackson County were William E Bowker of Indianola, and Abraham Ray of Holton. these gentlemen were in the first State Legislature in the spring of 1861. In the winter of 1862 Senator Farnsworth's place was filled by Cyrus K. Holliday; Mr. Farnsworth having been appointed Kaw Indian Agent. Golden Silvers and Martin Anderson were the Representatives.
The Legislature of 1862 made the first State Legislative apportionment. Jackson County was the Eighteenth Representative District, and Jackson and Pottawatomie counties were the Sixth Senatorial District. Ever since then these counties have been a senatorial district, remaining as the Sixth ten years; as the Fifth, four; as the Fourth, eight, and in 1883 becoming the Seventeenth.
The Senators have alternated between the two counties, and in twenty-two years its eight Senators have been as follows: 1863-1865, Rufus Oursler, of Jackson; 1865-1867, O. J. Grover, of Pottawatomie; 1867-1869, William H. Dodge, of Jackson; 1869-1871, O. J. Grover, of Pottawatomic; 1871-1873, James McLellan, of Jackson; 1873-1875, Luther R Palmer, of Pottawatomie; 1875-1877, John S. Hopkins, of Jackson; 1877-1881, Welcome Wells, of Pottawatomie; 1881-1883, Case Broderick, of Jackson.
Jackson County under the first State apportionment had one member in the House; under the second, two; under the third, one; under the fourth, two; under the fifth, one - which gives her but one member in the Legislature of 1883. Electing twenty-five Representatives since 1862, only three have been chosen for two terms, and but two for three terms each. The Representatives to the State Legislature have been as follows; R. S. Craft, J. W. Williams, James McLellan, Peter Bryant, J. B. Oliver, J. L. Williams, Norman J. Allen, D. W. C. Locke, George W. Miller, J L. Williams, Byron Steward, J. L. Williams, C. R. Burns, Jacob Loughmiller, P. M. Hodges, John Birkett, J. W. Williams, George T. Watkins, W. H. Chase, J. H. Keller, W. H. Wilson, George T. Watkins, W. H. Wilson.
In January 1877 the biennial legislative system commenced, therefore at the election in 1876 members of the House were elected for two years; for the Senate, four years.
Organization of the Republican Party.-- February 11, 1859, Calhoun County became Jackson. March 12, 1859, a meeting was held at Holton for the purpose of organizing the Republican party. This was some two months before the Territorial organization of the party at Osawatomie, where Horace Greeley said: "I often regard the struggle of 1860 with less hope than apprehension." Jackson County Free-State men had presumed that they might meet in peach and organize a political movement at that late day, with "none to molest or make afraid"; but, they were destined to be mistaken. For an opposition element met thereafter and presented resolutions in antagonism to those adopted by the Republicans, Judge Martin Anderson suffered violence, and was for a time senseless. Thomas Keer and others were wounded, revolvers were discharged, but fortunately none were killed. It was the last blow struck in Jackson County by the Slavery Propaganda against Free thought and Free speech.
The record of Jackson County in the war of the Rebellion is worthy of its name. It furnished commissioned, non-commissioned officers and privates.
The number of volunteers furnished was 175, and they were mainly in the Kansas Eighth and Eleventh regiments.
Thomas J. Anderson was commissioned by President Lincoln, Assistant Adjutant-General on the staff of Major-General Blunt.
Martin Anderson was mustered as Major of the Kansas Eleventh, November 22, 1863.
Ira I. Taber was mustered as Adjutant of the Kansas Eleventh, October 12, 1864.
John B. Parrott was mustered as First Lieutenant, Company B, Kansas Eleventh, December 15, 1864.
Milton Rose was mustered as First Lieutenant, Company E, Kansas Eighth, November 5, 1864.
Elisha D. Rose was mustered as First Lieutenant, Company E, Kansas Eighth, December 6, 1864.
Robert J. Waterhouse was connected with the Commissary Department by appointment from Gen. Thomas Ewing, Jr., and held commission to recruit loyal Arkansans and others.
William Henry Dodge and many others might be named as among the gallant band from the county.
James K. Burnes, William L. Wendall, and Woodward Hindman were killed in battle at Chickamauga, September 19, 1863. William M. Thompson was drowned off the steamer "Prairie Rose", February 28, 1863. James H. Thompson died of fever at Cairo, Ill., January 1, 1836 before receiving his final discharge. Volney N. Brown, Cyrus Grant and Abraham Stanley died of disease. these soldiers had friends in the vicinity of Holton and Indianola. The Thompsons were sons of Mr. John H. Thompson, of Holton.
Twentieth Regiment, Kansas State Militia.-- This regiment was organized in June 1864, and made up of 340 men, nearly all of whom were from Jackson County. There were a few of the citizens in the southern part of the county who joined a company in Jefferson County. The officers of the regiment were: John R. Hubbell, Colonel; James McLellan, Lieutenant-Colonel; William Knipe, Major; W. L. Burns, Adjutant; P. M. Hodges, Quartermaster; B. F. Fuller, Surgeon. J. F. M. Walters, W. S. Hoaglin, S. J. Foster, J. L. Finnicum, R. J. Tolin were among the captains of the companies. The military service rendered by this regiment in October 1864, when Gen. Sterling Price with his Rebel force menaced the peace of the State, is an excellent subject for the annalist. Governor Thomas Carney issued an order, October 10, 1864, summoning the militia to rally for the defense of Kansas and the Nation. This regiment at once prepared to march for the field of battle, and on October 22, it was in the State of Missouri. The services rendered by this body of men were appreciated by those in command, and, after eighteen days absence, they returned to their homes, fortunately without a list of killed or wounded.
George Washington Myers, a settler at Holton, in 1882, is a veteran in the service of his country. Entering the navy in boyhood, he has gone under his country's flag to many a foreign port. He has been with Walker's Nicaragua Expedition, in the South American waters, and in the late Rebellion he distinguished himself by many a brave and hazardous exploit, and he carries on his body visible evidences of severe warfare.
SCHOOLS AND COUNTY SOCIETIES.
The State of Kansas is challenged to find another county surpassing Jackson in its zealous devotion to educational matters. The first school building erected in the county was south of Holton, in the year 1858. It was a structure of logs, and gave way to a good brick building in 1869, costing $1,500. The territory in which this was located, was organized as District No. 1 in 1859. No. 2 is Holton. No. 3 is on North Cedar; the building is one mile south of Tippinville. No. 4 is the most easterly district, on Straight Creek. No. 5 is Banner, situated in the east part of Grant Township. The cost of the house, furniture and apparatus was $2,000; the house, for a long time, was also used for religious worship. No. 6 is in Liberty Township, north of Holton. No. 7 joins Holton on the east, No. 8 adjoins Banner on the west. No. 9 is on Straight Creek, west of No. 4. No. 10 is the most easterly district on South Cedar. No. 11 is on both sides of the Big Soldier, about twelve miles west of Holton. No. 12 is the Star schoolhouse in the southeast corner of the county. This section furnishes pupils for the Campbell University. No. 13 is located on both sides of East Muddy, near its source. Hon. J. W. Williams, for a long time its District Clerk, may be called the father of it, and for several terms he "taught the young idea how to shoot" in the original log structure in which the school was taught. Hon. John Rippetoe was for a long time school officer in District No. 12 and may be entitled to be named as its father. No. 14 is at the head of South Cedar, its western boundary being the eastern line of the Pottawatomie Reserve, four miles south of Holton. No. 15, the second district north and northwest of Holton, bounded on the north by the parallel, located in Jefferson Township, has a model frame school building, costing $1,300. No. 16 is the Circleville District; having no school building, it occupies what was erected as "the North Kansas Male and Female Seminary" in 1865 and in 1866, at a cost of $10,000. It is a most beautiful limestone building, standing on the rolling prairie so as to command a fine view of the surrounding country. The late Rev. D. P. Mitchell was one of the Committee on Location.
In 1860, Jackson County, with a population of 2,297, had 396 persons of school age, between the ages of five and twenty-one. In 1879 the number was 2,587; males, 1,390; females, 1,197. In 1880 the number was 3,855. In 1872 the number of districts was 51; joint districts, 6; in 1882 it was 70, joint districts, 6. Total, 76. There is one joint district with Atchison County; one with Brown, one with Nemaha; three with Pottawatomie. Seven teachers are employed in the school at Holton, two at Circleville, two at Netawaka, two at Whiting, two at Drake's (No. 49), two at North Cedar and two at Soldier, and there would be two at Banner, were there more school room. Some of the districts have libraries, notably that of Holton, having the ample gift from Hon. E. D. Holton, besides encyclopedias, etc. Mrs. Olive E. Stout and R. M. Cook, Esq., having done the larger part of County Superintendent work.
Campbell Normal University.-- This school was opened in September, 1882. The building is an admirably planned school edifice. It is built of magnesian limestone, and has a splendid external appearance. The internal arrangement is very complete; the office, the library, the different study and recitation rooms are well arranged to suit the needs of the pupils and the convenience of the instructors. It stands on a commanding eminence, just north of the city of Holton. The grounds embrace some eleven acres, on the north part of which is one of the most beautiful natural groves that can anywhere be found. From the top of the building can be seen one of the most beautiful sections of the country anywhere in the State - fine prairie-land connected with large belts of excellent timber. The cost of ground, buildings and all appurtenances will exceed $25,000.
To Hon. A. G. Campbell, an early settler in Jackson and Nemaha counties, who has amassed wealth through large mining interests in the Rock Mountains, and who was supported by the Gentile element for Delegate to Congress from Utah in 1890, is this munificent work primarily due. He was seconded in his efforts by public-spirited citizens of Holton and other portions of the county. Its Board of Directors are as follows: T. P. Moore, President; S. K. Linscott, Treasurer; J. A. Scott, Secretary; Dr. A. Y. Hanson, Peter Bryant, James Baxter, Henry Stanley, W. W. Naylor; Charles Hayden, Attorney. The school has a teachers' course, a scientific, a classic, a business, and a course in music.
Agricultural and Mechanical Association.-- Alfred Gray, the late honored and efficient Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, February 27, 1873, issued a call for a Farmers' State Convention, at Topeka, March 26, 1873. This was in obedience to many calls from agriculturists that there should be a delegate convention, and that the Kansas farmers should organize themselves into district clubs. March 22, 1873, Jackson County responded, and at a Farmers' Convention held at Holton, of which Hon. James McLellan was chosen President and J. W. Taylor, Secretary, William Cline and S. J. England were elected delegates; A. L. Stevens and Hon. D. H. Southerland, Alternates. One of the resolutions adopted at the State Convention is as follows: "That was earnestly request the Legislature of our State, at its next session, to enact a law regulating freights and fares upon the railroads, upon a basis of justice; and that we further request our members of Congress to urge the favorable action of that body, where the full power exists beyond all doubt, to the same end, and if need be, to construct the National highways at the expense of the Government."
April 5, 1873, the Jackson County farmers met, and approving of the action of the State Convention, formed a County Farmers' Co-operative Union, the objects of which were stated to be as follows: "The collection of statistics relating to the products of the county - their amount, cost and value; to assist the farmers in securing just compensation for their labors; to co-operate with similar organizations of the counties and States in procuring cheap transportation and remunerative prices for surplus products, and act generally in the interest of the producing classes."
Officers of the Union were elected as follows: President, James McLellan; Vice-President, S. J. England; Secretary, A. L. Stevens; Treasurer, D. Blosser; Directors, J. Hixon, E. L. Shields, R. J. Tolin, D. H. Sutherland and B. H. Bradshaw. June 7, 1873, a committee consisting of B. H. Bradshaw, W. J. England, D. H. Sutherland, William Cline, R. J. Tolin and D. Blosser, were appointed to canvass the county and organize farmers' clubs. J. L. Williams, George Smith, W. T. Scott and A. L. Stevens were appointed a committee to procure Fair grounds at or near Holton. Grounds were purchased July 12, 1873, one-half mile north of Holton for this purpose, of Mr. F. H. Inland, twenty acres, at $80 per acre.
The Association held its First Annual Fair September 30, and October 1, and 2, 1873. Its officers were; A. L. Stevens, President; David Blosser, Vice-President; Ira I. Taber, Secretary; J. W. Williams, Treasurer. The premium list was $1,000. The Fair was a complete success, and there was a grand display of fruit. At the grand exposition at Leavenworth, October 6, 1873, fruit exhibited at the Jackson County Fair took the first and second premiums, it begin the best and largest display of Kansas fruits, and the best collection of Kansas apples. There were over one hundred varieties, raised by some twenty fruit growers of the county. This was in competition with fruit from Missouri and Michigan.
Granges.-- In the autumn of 1873, B. H. Bradshaw, a farmer living near North Cedar P. O., received a commission as deputy organizer of granges and he organized the first one in the county, which was properly named Jackson Grange - B. H. Bradshaw, Master; W. A. Dodson, Secretary. Then came sixteen others as follows: Holton Grange - D. W. C. Locke, Master; John Edwards, Secretary. Cedar Grange - C. B. Monroe, Master; Ed. F. Jones, Secretary. Hoyt Grange - George I. Mosher, Master; W. W. Fish, Secretary; Pleasant Grange - G. A. Wynant, Master; E. E. Rafter, Secretary. Circleville Grange - James Baxter, Master; James Thompson, Secretary. Jefferson Grange - E. B. Clowe, Master; William A. Allen, Secretary. Whiting Grange - George T. Watkins, Master; George W. Bailey, Secretary. Star Grange - J. B. Hodges, Master; John Rippetoe, Secretary. North Cedar Grange - J. B. Moore, Master; L. Y. Bradshaw, Secretary. Liberty Grange - Joseph W. Taylor, Master; G. W. Todd, Secretary. Carbon Grange - M. Easley, Master; John J. Preston, Secretary. Little Cross Creek Grange - Wilson Bowen, Master; Lewis Smith, Secretary. Netawaka Grange - D. H. Sutherland, Master; J. A. Kennedy. Secretary. Social Grange - John King, Master; E. T. Hibbard, Secretary. South Cedar Grange - James McLellan, Master; John Q. Myers, Secretary. Smithland Grange - C. C. Branham, Master; R. B. Francis, Secretary.
Central Council of Patrons of Husbandry.-- The following are the names of the principal officers of the Jackson County Council, April 3, 1874: Worthy Master, D. W. C. Locke; Overseer, Joseph W. Taylor; Lecturer, S. J. England: Steward, C. B. Monroe; Chaplain, W. H. Jones; Treasurer, N. Kline; Secretary, G. A. Wynant; Gatekeeper, J. J. Preston; Ceres, Mrs. E. A. Monroe; Pomona, Mrs. J W. Taylor; Flora, Mrs. H. Jones; Business Agent, G. A. Wynant.
The Second Annual Fair was set for September 2 3, and 4, 1874, and extended to the 5th, and was quite a success considered with reference to the grasshopper raid. George Coleman, William R. Baxter, William D. Barnett, Alfred Dodson and J. W. Williams were the main fruit exhibitors at the Fair. Neither Shawnee, Jefferson, Atchison, Brown, Nemaha, Pottawatomie nor Riley counties deemed it wise to hold Fairs in 1874, and Jackson indeed excelled them all.
In May, 1881, the Directors of the Agricultural and Mechanical Association sold the Fair Grounds to a company of ten gentlemen who intended to convert them into a driving-park. In 1882, most of these gentlemen have disposed of their interests, the driving-park has been abandoned, and the grounds have become private property.
Horticultural Society.-- Taking a high rank among the fruit-growing counties of the State, the fruit growers of Jackson County are displaying a commendable zeal in their persistent effort to encourage and promote the growth of fruit and shrubbery, shade, ornamental and forest trees, and hedging for fencing.
At Boston, in September, 1873, in this county had a fine display of fruit; C. C. Grubb, living four miles north of Netawaka, had there fifty-one varieties of apples on exhibition.
The State Horticultural Society in 1873 held its third semi-annual meeting at Holton. June 10 and 11, than which none of its meetings have ever proved to be of more general interest.
In 1882 meetings of the county society have been frequently held and committees have reported upon the conditions of the orchards of many of the fruit-raisers of the county. Under the auspices of the society a County Fruit Show was held at the court house, September 8, 1882, at which there was a fine display of fruits and vegetables. The finest specimens were taken to the State Fair at Topeka. Mr. W. D. Barnett accepted an invitation from the State Horticultural Society to act as one of the judges on the fruit there exhibited. The President of the county society is Jacob Thornburgh; Vice-President, Jacob Hixon; Secretary and Treasurer, V. V. Adamson. Post-office address of all, Holton. Quite a majority of the local granges have ceased to be. There are still in existence the Holton, Whiting, Netawaka, Jefferson and Soldier granges. William H. Jones, of the Holton Grange, for six years was Chairman of the Executive Board of the State Grange. He has been in charge of the Holton Grange Store for seven years. This store in 1882 ceased to run under the auspices of the grange. No more active work in the interest of agriculture has been done in Kansas than in this county at times, and a revival in that line is one of the signs of the times.
The Jackson County Medical Society.-- June 14, 1872, a number of the physicians of the county met at the office of Dr. V. V. Adamson, of Holton, and formed a medical society; in their objects having been stated as follows: "The advancement of medical knowledge, the elevation of professional character, the extension of the boundary of medical science, and the promotion of all measures adapted to the relief of the suffering, and to improve the health and protect the lives of the community." Dr. L. S. Paddock, of Netawaka, was its first President. Its present officers are: President, J. A. Rafter, Holton; Vice-President, G. W. England, Larkin; Secretary, John T. Scott, Holton; Treasurer, V. V. Adamson, Holton; Censors, J. W. Love, Whiting; R. J. Dodds, North Cedar; T. H. Murray, Circleville.