KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


HARPER COUNTY, Part 6

[TOC] [part 7] [part 5] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

JOHN BAUMSTARK, of the firm of Wilson & Baumstark, hardware and farm implements, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1847, and was raised on a farm. When eighteen years of age, he emigrated to America, stopping first at Burlington, Iowa. After living in Iowa, Illinois, and back to Iowa again for a number of years, he finally, in 1877, located in Wellington, where he was engaged in business five years, at the end of which time he established himself in his present business in Harper, in connection with his partner. He owns a residence in Harper, and is now building a stone block 26x85. He is a member of the Odd Fellows order, and a Christian gentleman. In 1879, he was married to Miss Rosy Sarll, of Illinois. Mrs. B. is a Daughter of Rebekah and a member of the Catholic Church.

E. M. BENEDICT, of the firm of Benedict & Co., dealers in groceries and queensware, is a native of Ohio, and was born August 5, 1835. When twenty- four years of age, he began farming in Indiana, at which he continued six years. In 1862, went to Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until 1870, after which he was in the mercantile business seven years. He then came to Harper County, Kan., and improved a farm of 160 acres, which he worked until 1883, after which he opened his present business in the spring. He built two residences, owns farm and residence. He is City Treasurer of Harper, and is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. In 1866, Mr. Benedict was married to Miss M. B. Davis of Ohio, by whom he has six children - A. C., O. M., F. E., M. E., S. E. and R. E. Mrs. Benedict is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

ABNER BOURNE, of the banking house of Ellis & Bourne, is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in 1855. He was reared in the auctioneering and brokerage business. When sixteen years of age, he entered his father's auction and brokerage business as clerk, in which position he remained two years, after which he was partner in the firm four years. In 1877, he came to Barber County, Kan., and engaged in the cattle business, in which he continued until the fall of 1880, at which time he sold his cattle and embarked in the sheep business until the fall of 1882, when he sold his stock. On May 1, 1883, he, in company with Mr. Ellis, opened the banking house of Ellis & Bourne in Harper City.

I. P. CAMPBELL, attorney at law and dealer in real estate and loans, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in 1849. He was reared in the agricultural profession, receiving a collegiate education, graduation at Dickinson Seminary and Ann Arbor, Mich. He read law in the city of Williamsport, and was admitted to the bar in 1874, after which he came to Ann Arbor and graduated in 1875. He then opened a law office in Michigan, where he practiced until the spring of 1878, when he came to Harper, Harper Co., Kan., and opened the first business in May, 1878, and was the second attorney in Harper County. He now owns a cattle ranch of 640 acres; enclosed and cultivated a portion of the ranch. He also owns 160 acres, unimproved. He built four residences in the city of Harper, and now owns three. He also built four business houses, three of which he still owns. He was city attorney two years. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and assisted in its organization. He is a member and one of the Directors of the Board of Trade. Is one of the Directors of the city library and was active in getting it up. In 1878, Mr. Campbell was before the people of his county for election to the Legislature, but was defeated by a sectional fight. In 1877, Mr. Campbell was married to Miss Jessie Graham, of Michigan, by whom he has two sons-James Graham and Ray. Mrs. Campbell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

JESSE L. B. ELLIS, of the firm of Ellis & Bourne, bankers, is a native of Massachusetts and was born in 1852. He was reared in the mercantile business, and received a collegiate education. When seventeen years of age, he began clerking in a wholesale dry goods house in Boston, where he remained four years. He was next in a publishing house three years, after which he came to Kansas in 1879 and located in Barber County, where he was engaged in the cattle business four years, and sold his cattle in the fall of 1882. On May 1, 1883, Mr. Ellis opened his banking house in Harper City. He owns a farm of 320 acres in the county of Harper. He is a self-made man and though yet young has placed himself in the front of the best business men in Harper County.

OLIVER P. T. EWELL, stock-raiser, is a native of Virginia and was born in 1848. At the age of thirteen, he began clerking in the mercantile line in his native county and continued thus for five years, after which time he took a course and graduated in a business college in Baltimore, after this opening up a business for himself and continuing in it until the winter of 1871, at which time he, with his brother, Dr. A. D. F. Ewell, and M. S. Justice, a young man from the same place, moved to Kansas, soon afterward going into the stock business; but in 1875, thinking there was a better field opened to parties dealing in Texas cattle to drive their own stock from that State, the three now as one firm determined to embark in this enterprise and contined until 1881, during which time they succeeded in stocking up a large ranch in the Indian Territory, in the country known as the Cherokee Strip. His brother, the Doctor, returned to Virginia in 1877, but still holds his interest in the ranch, while Mr. Justice is still with him. Mr. Ewell was married, in 1882, to Miss Eva Thomas, a Virginia lady, she accompanying him to Harper, the town of his adoption, in which place he owns a residence. He is a member of the Town Council, and belongs to the order of Odd Fellows.

C. S. FINCH, of the firm of Finch & Finch, attorneys. Mr. Finch is a bative of Illinois, and was born in Girard, in 1860. His early life was spent in school, graduating in the law department at Ann Arbor, Mich., in 1880, after which he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Michigan. Mr. Finch was brought by his parents to Miami County, Kan., in 1869. He attended the State Normal school at Leavenworth, and also attended the State University at Lawrence after which he attended the law school at Ann Arbor, Mich. In the meantime, he was teaching school during his school years. In April, 1880, he came to Harper and opened his present business. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows, is Noble Grand at present, and is charter member; he is also a member of Beta Theta Pi, one of the largest college secret fraternities in America. During his college course, he gave elocutionary entertainments, was chairman of the State Central Republican County Committee of Harper County one year. Mr. Finch edited the Harper Times, from August, 1880, to March, 1882. He owns a stock farm of 320 acres. Mr. Finch was instrumental in getting up the public library of the city of Harper, for which he is entitled to much credit.

W. S. FORREY, dealer in drugs, and proprietor of the Glenn House, is a native of Indiana, and was born in 1836. His early life was spent in obtaining a classical education. When fourteen years of age, he began clerking in a dry goods store, where he continued until twenty-three years of age, at which time he took an interest in the business, and contined until he was twenty-eight years of age. He then retired from dry goods business and ran a leather store and two tanneries, and was next in Chicago on the Board of Trade in the commission business five years. In 1877, he came to Kansas, and settled in the county of Harper. He broke prairie one year, and then went to Wichita, where he was in the hotel business. In February, 1882, he returned to Harper City, Harper County, and opened the drug and hotel business. In the great Chicago fire of 1871, Mr. Forrey lost very heavily, and in the Chicago fire July, 1874, he lost everything but his baggage, and was not insured. Mr. Forrey has done a great deal for Harper City and Harper County, sending many settlers to the county while in Wichita. He also improved two farms of 160 acres each, put up good residences and wire fence, 200 acres now in cultivation. He bought one residence in Harper, and built four. He was instrumental in organizing the Board of Trade in the city of Harper. He assisted in the establishment of the Harper Public Library. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows and Freemasons. In 1859, Mr. Forrey was married to Miss Lidia E. Myer, of Indiana, by whom he has four children - Frank, Emma, Luella and William. He lost his wife in 1870, and was married to Miss Sarah F. Glenn, of Iowa, in 1878. Mrs. Forrey is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is presiding officer of Rebecca Lodge I. O. O. F.

JOHN B. GLENN, dealer in real estate and County Surveyor, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1828; was reared in the agricultural profession, receiving a high grade education, graduation in the commercial course. When eighteen years of age, he began clerking in a dry goods store at which he continued four years, after which he emigrated to Boonville, Mo., and engaged in the drug business, where he remained a short time, sold out and went to Bloomfield, Iowa, where he engaged in the drug business and continued in it fourteen years. He then helped to organize the First National Bank of Bloomfield, and was elected cashier of the same, which place he held for over ten years. In the year 1877, he emigrated to Kansas, and with a colony of six families settled in Harper County, and laid out the town of Harper. He was actively engaged in surveying and hotel business until February, 1882, at which time he dropped off the hotel, and added the real estate and abstract business, and made a complete set of abstract books of all the real estate in the county. He was elected County Surveyor in 1881; is President of Old Settlers' organization; is President of Harper Board of Trade and has been since its organization. He built the Glenn Hotel and also a large stone business house in Harper. He was one of the organizers of the Presbyterian Church, and Elder of it since its organization. He is an Odd Fellow and Freemason, was for six years Grand Representative to the Grand Lodge United States from Iowa, also was twenty years Grand Treasurer of the Grand Lodge and Grand Encampment of Iowa I. O. O. F. He is strictly temperate in all respects. He was married to Miss Martha A. Weaver of Iowa, in 1853; lost her by death in 1855; was married to Miss Lois A. Wilson of Illinois, in 1858, by whom he has three children living - Mary, William M. and Samuel E.; Martha Lois, deceased; lost his wife by death in 1867, was married to Miss Helen P. Rowland, daughter of Dr. Rowland of Lockport, N. Y., in 1868, and lost her by death in 1875, and was married to Mrs. Josie B. Stuart, in 1876, and lost her by death March 23, 1883. He and his wife probably did more to build up the town of Harper than any other two in the county, Josie B. Glenn being the first Postmistress in the county. They took the lead in all public matters.

M. H. GLENN, manager for Forrey & Co., dealers in drugs and medicines, was born in the State of Ohio, in 1845, and was reared in the drug business, receiving an academic education. When seventeen years of age, he went into the drug business in Iowa, where he continued until 1876, after which he came to Harper County, Kan., and being one of the first settlers opened a farm adjoining the city of Harper, of 160 acres, which he farmed two years. He was next in Wichita six months clerking in a grocery store, at the end of which time he came to Harper City and took his present position. After Harper was incorporated, Mr. Glenn was twice elected as a member of City Council. Mr. Glenn is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is also a member of the order of Odd Fellows. In 1876, Mr. Glenn was married to Miss L. O. Bates of Illinois, by whom he has two children, Pearl and Robert L. Mrs. Glenn is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is a Daughter of Rebecca.

JAMES O. GRAHAM, Postmaster, and one of the editors and proprietors of the Harper County Times, is a native of Iowa, and was born in 1855. He was reared in the agricultural business and educated at the Normal school. In 1876, he came to Kansas and attended school in Leavenworth, and also taught school in Miami County two winters. In 1878, he came to Harper, and has been connected with it since. In 1881, he was appointed Postmaster; built a house and store in 1882, 20 by 60 feet. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In 1880, Mr. Graham was married to Miss Eva Frances, of Kansas.

L. P. HORTON, contractor and builder, was born in the State of New York, in 1844, was raised on a farm and received a business education. Joined the army at the age of eighteen, enlisting in the Thirty-second Wisconsin, Company K, for three years service, and was discharged after having served two years and a half; he then farmed in Wisconsin one year, after which he worked at the carpenter's trade in Wisconsin until 1871; was next in Iowa eight months, then went to Chicago, and remained until 1878, at which time he came to Kansas and located in Wichita, lived there eighteen months, then settled on a claim of 160 acres in Harper County, and improved the same, then moved to Harper City in 1880, and opened his present business. Built three residences in Harper, one in the county and one in Wichita. Was a member of the City Council two years, and is now City Clerk. Is an Odd Fellow, and has passed the chairs; is Trustee of the Methodist Church, and a member of the Board of Trade. Owns two residences and one business house in Harper. Was married to Miss Mary C. Potter, of Chicago, Ill., in 1873, by whom he has three children - Louis, Mary G. and Grace E.

J. C. V. KELLEY, of the firm of J. V. Kelley & Son., dealers in hardware, woodenware, queensware and farm implements, was born in New Jersey, 1847. His early life was spent in school, obtaining a collegiate education. When sixteen years of age, he began clerking in general store in Illinois where he continued one year, after which he was at school two years. He was next three years in the dry goods business, after which he engaged in the hardware business, and continued until 1878, at which time he took half interest in the business, and continued in Illinois until January, 1883, when he came to Kansas, and opened his present business in Harper. Mr. Kelley is a member of the order of Freemasons, and is also a member of the Knights of Pythias. In 1876, he was married to Miss N. A. Gray, of Iowa, by whom he has one child - Claude. Mrs. Kelley is a member of the M. E. Church.

E. W. KLINE, civil engineer and surveyor, was born in Virginia, in 1848; at the early age of twenty, he engaged in the timber business, at which he continued eighteen months. After engaging in various kinds of business for a period of some years, including railroading on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, in 1877 he went to Harper County, location in the city of Harper. Pre-empted and improved 160 acres of land in 1877, and built a residence in Harper. He has been both Deputy and County Surveyor of Harper County. From 1881 to 1883, he was in the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad Company, in New Mexico. Returning home he engaged in his profession, surveying for private parties. He was Street Commissioner one term. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. He built four residences and one business house in Harper. He assisted in laying out the city of Harper, and laid out three additions to the city; laid out the town sites of Albion and Danville. In 1873, Mr. Kline was married to Miss Lottie Birkett, by whom he has two children - Clarence L. and Harry H. Mrs. Kline is a member of the M. E. Church. Mr. Kline is a accomplished engineer and surveyor.

C. S. LLOYD, M. D., and Deputy Sheriff, was born in Pennsylvania, 1826. His early life was spent in school, graduation in 1859, after which he went to Canada West and practiced medicine five years. He next went to Memphis, Tenn., and practiced three years, then to Illinois eleven years. In 1877, he came to Kansas, Harper County, and located on a farm of 160 acres which he improved, and broke sixty-five acres. He also opened an office at the same time in Harper, and was the first physician in the county. He was elected Coroner in 1879; was Township Clerk three terms; was appointed Deputy Sheriff, 1882; was married to Miss Eliza Anne Johnson, by whom he has one child, Frederick D.

DR. S. H. McMANIGLE, druggist and physician, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in 1849. His early life was mainly spent in school. He joined the army at the age of fifteen, Two Hundredth Pennsylvania Infantry Volunteers, Company I. He enlisted for one year, served ten months, and was discharged at close of the war. He then returned home and attended school two years. He then taught school three years, and, in the meantime, was reading medicine. He attended lectures at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1869 and 1870. He then practiced one year, after which he returned to Cleveland, and graduated at the term of 1872-73. He then practiced three years, after which he went to Missouri, Crawford County, and practiced six and a half years. In October, 1880, Dr. McManigle came to Harper City, Harper County, and bought out J. B. Glenn in the drug business, and has since conducted the drug business in connection with the practice of medicine. He improved one farm of 160 acres, and owns two other farms of 160 acres each. Dr. McManigle owns two residences and one business property, in the city of Harper. He is an honored member of the orders of Odd Fellows and Freemasons. In 1872, he was married to Miss Maggie M. Cox, of Bedford County, Penn., by whom he has one child (a son), Ferdinand.

H. C. MAXWELL, dealer in groceries, queensware, harness and saddlery, is a native of Missouri, and was born in 1857. Was reared in the agricultural profession and received a collegiate education. At the age of twenty years, he began teaching school, continuing about eighteen months. He then clerked about nine months, after which he embarked in the general merchandise business on his own responsibility, in which he continued two years. In 1881, he came to Harper, Harper Co., Kan., and opened his present business. He owns a farm of 160 acres, which he has improved. He also owns a residence and business house in Harper. Mr. Maxwell is a member of the order of Odd Fellows and Ancient Order of United Workmen. He is also a member and Clerk of the Baptist Church, and was instrumental in its organization. Mr. Maxwell was married to Miss Lizzie Pinson, of Missouri, in 1879, by whom he has two children - Ethel and Percy. He started the first saddle and harness shop in Harper, with one man to do his work, and he now employs three. He is now building a brick and stone store house, 25x90 feet, which will be completed about September.

J. J. MERRICK sic, Justice of the Peace, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1840; he was reared in the agricultural profession and obtained a collegiate education. At the age of twenty, he joined the army (Fifteenth Ohio, McLaughlin's cavalry, Company A); he joined the army in 1861, and came out in 1864; returned home, and was on a farm one year, after which he acted as Deputy Sheriff two years, at the expiration of which time he was elected to the office of Sheriff, for two years; he was then in the Treasury Department of the Secret Service Company five years; after which time he was in the meacantile sic business about six years. In 1877, he located in Harper, Harper County, Kan., and engaged in the mercantile and hotel business, continuing two years, and, in 1879, opened a law and real estate office, in the meantime he had been reading law since 1867. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1880, and re-elected in 1883, was Police Judge of Harper in 1881 and 1882. He opened and improved a farm of 160 acres, which he ran as a grain farm. He assisted in organizing the town of Harper, was one of its first citizens and received more town lots than any one else; has built one business and two reisdence sic properties. He took an active part in the library, and raised $400 to establish the first newspaper. He sold the first dry goods and kept the first hotel in Harper. Mr. Herrick sic was married to Miss S. E. Harris of Ohio, in 1865, by whom he has four children - Frank J., Icy O., Winniefred and Bessie B.

JOSEPH MUNGER, Mayor of the city and cattle dealer, was born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., in 1825. At the age of twenty-one years, having graduated from college, he engaged in school teaching in Illinois, at which he continued four years, and in the mean time sic was also engaged in the mill and lumber business. From Illinois, he went to Powesheik County, Iowa, where for thirty years he carried on the farming and stock-growing business. In 1882, he located in Harper, Harper Co., Kan. Near Harper, he and his sons improved a ranch of 640 acres, which, after a short time, they sold. They now own a half interest in a ranch in the Cherokee Strip, 12x15 miles, and will put on the same $75,000 worth of cattle. Mr. Munger owns business property, and is now putting up a stone store, 25x80 and two stories high. He also owns thirty- four acres within the corporate limits of Harper, and lots in various sections of the city. He owns three fine residences, which he and his sons built. In March, 1883, he was elected Mayor of Harper for two years. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and belongs to Harper Lodge. No. 62. He was married to Miss Phoebe B. Risley, of Fredonia, N. Y., and has three children - M. M., H. C. and Lucy E. The sons are now engaged in the cattle business in the Territory.

WILLIAM H. MUNGER, jeweler, was born in the State of New York in 1829. When nineteen years of age, he began school teaching, which he continued five years. He then went to work at his trade in New York City, where he remained four years. He then went to Ohio and farmed two years, after which he went to Gloversville, N. Y., and worked at his trade until 1858, at which time he went to Iowa, where he remained until breaking-out of the war, when he joined the army, Third Iowa Infantry. He was wounded at the battle of Blue Mills, Mo., on the 17th day of September, 1862, and was in hospital at Quincy, Ill., one year, after which he rejoined his regiment and was discharged on the 23d of February, 1863. He then went to Mexico, Mo., and worked at his trade a short time, after which he accepted a commission under Gov. Gamble and raised a company of militia, which he drilled. He then went to Quincy, Ill., and worked at his trade until the fall of 1864, when he went to Iowa, where he continued at his trade two years. He was next in Michigan three years, after which he came to Clay Center, Clay Co., Kan., where he worked at his trade seven years. He was next in Missouri two years, after which he came to Harper City, Kan., and opened his present business. Mr. Munger is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and is also a member of the Board of Trade of Harper, and is a model, temperate man in all respects. Mr. Munger in 1853 was married to Miss H. M. Wait, of Ohio, by whom he had four children - Franklin, William. Charles J., Willard Edward (deceased). Lost his wife in 1863, and was married at Quincy, Ill., in 1864, to Miss Jane E. Van Wagner, of New York.

H. E. PATTERSON, dealer in dry goods and notions, boots and shoes, is a native of Ohio and was born in 1860. His early life was spent in school, graduation from high school at Chillicothe, Ohio. When fifteen years of age, he began clerking in a dry goods store at Chillicothe, where he remained four years. He was next with Woodrow in the same line two years, after which he came to Wellington, Kan., in 1881, where he clerked for Hunter Bros. a short time and in May, 1881, came to Harper and opened his present business in June of the same year. In 1883, he filed a claim of 160 acres, also bought a farm of 160 acres in Harper County. He owns two nice residence properties in Harper, and one business house, and vacant lots. Mr. Patterson is now erecting the largest store house in the city of Harper, 50x100 feet, marble front, the upper part for a hotel. Mr. Patterson is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. In 1882, he was married to Miss Etta M. Jolly, of Indianapolis, Ind. Mrs. Patterson is a Daughter of Rebekah, and is also a member of the Missionary and Library Associations.

GEORGE E. RHODES, cattle-raiser, is a native of Massachusetts, and was born in 1857. His early life was spent in school. At the age of eighteen, he began clerking in a wholesale hardware store in Boston, Mass., in which capacity he acted three years. He then came to Kansas and located at Wichita, where he opened a dry goods store on his own responsibility, and continued about eighteen months. at the end of which time he sold out and invested in the cattle business, buying 200 head in 1881; he in connection with J. Walton and J. Walworth of Massachusetts, bought 1,800 head of B. F. Buzard, and they now have 3,500 head on their ranch which is ten by twelve miles, enclosed by a barbed wire fence. Mr. Rhodes is a charter member of the American Legion of Honor. Mr. Rhodes was married to Miss Emma Forrey, of Indiana, in 1880, by whom he has one child, Jennie R.

J. S. ROTHWELL, of the firm of Rothwell & Skinner, land, loan and insurance, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in 1860, was reared in the agricultural profession, and received a business education. When seventeen years of age, he began business in a land office in Wellington, Kan., having come to Kansas in 1876, where he remained until 1883, after which he came to Harper and opened the present business. He owns in Sumner County, 800 acres of farm land. Mr. Rothwell will complete a map of Harper County, June 1, 1883. He also has the only complete set of abstract books for Harper County. He is a property holder in Harper County, is a stock-holder in Wellington bank. He is now building a fine residence in Wellington; is owner of a fine farm near Belle Plain, also a very fine farm two and a half miles north of Wellington. In the spring of 1882, Mr. Rothwell was married to Miss Lizzie H. Arnold, of Kentucky. They have one child, a son - Henry K. Mrs. Rothwell is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Rothwell is a self-made man.

WELLINGTON SCHERMERHORN, millinery and fancy goods, was born in New York State in 1852. His early life was spent in school; when twenty-three years of age, he began the grocery business in Michigan, and run one year, he then went back to New York, and remained two years, after which he went to Wichita, Kan., for two years, then back to New York one year, then to Wisconsin two years, and then to Kansas, Harper County, 1883. In 1882, he bought four lots in the city of Harper, on which he built a business house 18x36. Located claims of eighty acres in Harper County and will improve the same. Mr. Schemerhorn is a self- made man and an enterprising, leading citizen.

C. C. SHARE, of the firm of Share Bros., dealers in dry goods, boots and shoes, etc., is a native of the State of New York, and was born in 1855. He was reared in the mercantile business, and received a high school education. At the age of twenty, he embarked in the mercantile business at Independence one year, having come to Kansas in 1874. He remained at Independence one year, after which he went to Havana, where he remained in the mercantile business five years, then came to Harper, and opened his present business. Mr. Share is a member of the order of Odd Fellows, and is Vice Grand of Harper Lodge. He does a large and prosperous business and has the oldest business house in the city of Harper.

SAMUEL S. SISSON, attorney, and dealer in real estate and loans, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1848. His early life was spent on the farm, and in going to and teaching school, graduating at Marietta College. In 1871 and 1872, he taught school in Marietta College and in the meantime was reading law in 1870, 1871, and 1872, in the office of Judge Cowls, of Ohio. In 1873, he went to Missouri where he was engaged in the traffic of wood and charcoal three years. In the fall of 1876, Mr. Sisson emigrated to Kansas, stopping in Wellington, Sumner County, until the spring of 1877, at which time he went to Harper City, Harper County. Mr. Sisson was admitted to the bar in Pomeroy, Ohio, in the early part of 1876. He has three times been Mayor of the city. He own sic a fine farm of 640 acres, 300 of which are in cultivation. Mr. Sisson owns nine business houses in Harper, and also owns a small farm of 160 acres, seventy-five of which are in cultivation, and owns two other farms of 160 acres each, both of which are partly improved. In 1880, Mr. Sisson was married to Miss Lulu Pearson, of Illinois, by whom he has one daughter - Mary E. Mrs. Sisson is a member of the Presbyterian Church.

A. M. VAN LANINGHAM, real estate, loans and insurance, was born in Indiana, in 1844. At the age of twenty years, he began teaching school, at which he continued ten years, and in the meantime obtained his education. Coming to Kansas, he engaged in the mercantile and farming business at various times, until he finally located in Harper, Harper County, where he established his present business. He is Commissioner for Harper County. While living in Sumner County, he held the position of Justice of the Peace two years, and has held all of the various school offices, and is now Clerk of his school district. Is a member of the order of Odd Fellows, and the A. O. U. W., is also a member of the Kansas Pharmaceutical Association. In 1873, he was married to Miss Nannie Rodman, of Neosho County, Kan., by whom he has two children - Lola A. and Sybil I. Mrs. N. Van Laningham is a member of the Advent Church; she lived with her parents in Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Neosho County, Kan. He owns business and residence property, also a large number of vacant lots.

[TOC] [part 7] [part 5] [Cutler's History]