KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


HARPER COUNTY, Part 4

[TOC] [part 5] [part 3] [Cutler's History]

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.

J. H. ANDERSON, of the banking house of P. Anderson & Son, was born in Boone County, Ind., in 1855; he was reared in the drug business, and graduated from the Wabash College at Crawfordsville in 1879. In a short time he entered his father's bank in Anthony as clerk; was admitted as a partner in June, 1883. He took and proved up a claim of 160 acres of land which he improved and operates as a farm. In 1882, he was married to Miss Laura B. Neel, of Illinois, and has one child, Etta Julia.

A. H. BROADSTONE, Clerk of the District Court, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in 1844; his early life was spent in school, and he obtained a fair business education. At the age of eighteen years, he joined the army (One Hundred and Ninety-fifth Volunteer Infantry, Company E). After serving eleven months, he went to Illinois and began the carpenter's trade, at which he continued until 1880; he then came to Harper County, Kan., and opened and improved a farm of 160 acres, and ran it one year. In 1881, he was elected Clerk of the District Court, soon after which he moved to Anthony, his present home. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows and the G. A. R. Mr. Broadstone was married to Miss Emma B. Gardner, of Illinois, by whom he has four children - Maud, Ralph, Bruce and Pearl. Mrs. Broadstone is a member of the Baptist Church.

JOHN D. BROWN, dealer in real estate, loans and insurance, was born in England in 1849. Before he was one year old, his parents immigrated to the United States and settled in Illinois, and five years later, removed to Iowa. His early life was spent on the farm, and at the age of seventeen, upon the death of his father, he continued to manage the farm and provide for a family of seven younger brothers and sisters. At the age of twenty-one, he began life for himself, without money or property, and spent four years in going to school, working and teaching part of the time to pay his expenses. In 1878, he was married to Miss Mattie E. Hollingsworth, of Vinton, Iowa, and in the same year, moved to Kansas and located at Wellington, Sumner County, where he remained a year and a half, and then moved to Anthony, and opened his present business. He was appointed City Treasurer in 1880; was elected Justice of the Peace in 1881, and was twice elected Police Judge of Anthony. The loss of his wife, who died in 1881, was a severe affliction; she left only one child, Maud, then less than one year old. Mr. Brown has taken an active part, and has aided liberally in all public enterprises. He is now Secretary of the Harper County Agricultural Society, and is a member of the Board of Trustees in the M. E. Church. He is the owner of 2,000 acres of land in Harper County, partly improved, and has about $5,000 in notes and securities.

HON. W. S. CADE, attorney and Probate Judge, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1849; he was reared in the agricultural profession and obtained a fair education. At the age of seventeen years, he began teaching school, and continued eleven years, teaching in winter and working on the farm during the summer; in the meantime, he was reading law. He attended the law department at the University of Michigan, and was admitted to the bar, in 1875, at Ironton Ohio, after which he opened an office at Pomeroy, Ohio, in the meantime, teaching school in the winter and staying in his office during the summer. In 1878, he was compelled to leave his office on account of failing health. In 1879, he came to Kansas and located at Anthony, and began the practice of his profession. In 1880, he was elected a member of the City Council, in which capacity he served two years, and, in 1882, he was elected to the office of Police Judge for a short time; in the fall of the same year, he was elected to the office of Probate Judge. He is a member of the order of Odd Fellows. He built and owns a business house; he also owns a farm of 160 acres, and some city lots. Mr. Cade was married to Miss Elizabeth E. Hogenbach, of Iowa, in 1883. Mr. Cade is a member of the M. E. Church.

O. F. CASTEEN, of the firm of Casteen & McDaniel, general merchants, was born in Versailles, Brown Co., Ill., in 1849, and was reared in the mercantile line, receiving a high school education. In 1876, he opened business for himself, in Illinois, where he continued three years, after which he came to Anthony, Harper Co., Kan., in 1879, and established his present business. In August, 1882, he took Mr. McDaniel in as a partner. In August, 1880, he engaged in the cattle business (Mr. McDaniel was also a partner in this enterprise) and drove from Texas about 300 head, and now has a ranch six miles square and has 1,200 head of cattle. In 1879 and 1880, he improved a farm of 160 acres. Has been Township Treasurer since 1881; is now City Treasurer, and has been for three years; he is School Treasurer; is a Freemason. In September 3, 1873, Mr Casteen was married to Miss Martha R. Reid, of Illinois, who was born in Versailles, Brown Co., Ill., by whom he has two children - Ora and Stella. Mrs. Casteen is a member of the M. E. Church. Mr. Casteen was Master of the first lodge of A., F. & A. M. in the county.

A. H. DAVIS, dealer in geral hardware, saddlery and harness, is a native of Missouri, and was born in 1839; he was reared in the agricultual profession, receiving a high school education. When twenty-one years of age, went to farming for himself in Missouri, and continued until 1872, after which he went to Colorado, and was there, in the cattle business, until 1878; he then came to Anthony, Harper Co., Kan., and located a claim of 160 acres adjoining the city of Anthony, and ran a livery stable a short time, after which he opened his present business. He owns 800 acres of land in Harper and Sedgwick Counties; owns one of the best business houses and lots in Anthony and the very best location in town for business, also a blacksmith shop and tools. He was elected County Commissioner in 1880; was at one time a member of the City Council. He is a member of the Christian Church. In 1867, Mr. Davis was married to Miss Rebecca Smith, of St. Joe, Mo., by whom he has three children living - Mary, Thomas S. and Rebecca; he lost his wife in 1875. In the fall of 1882, Mr. Davis was the Democratic nomiee to represent Harper County in the Legislature.

J. B. FORBES, general merchant, is a native of Illinois, and was born in 1842; he was reared in the agricultural profession and received a fair business education. At the age of sixteen years, he began farming in Illinois on his own responsibility, and continued fourteen years, after which he engaged in the stock business, buying, selling and raising. In 1879, he came to Haprer County, Kan., and located at Anthony, and opened his present business. He located and improved a farm of 160 acres; he built and owns a business house 24x48 feet, also a residence and residence lots. He is a member of the K. of H. Mr. Forbes was married to Mrs. S. E. Orr, of Illinois, in 1867, by whom he has one child, William Olin.

O. JENNINGS, farmer, Section 23, Town 33, Range 7, P. O. Anthony, was born in Pennsylvania October 2, 1831; when eighteen years of age, he went to learn the blacksmith's trade, and, at the age of twenty-two, opened business for himself, at which he continued ten years, in Pennsylvania; he next went to Iowa, where he worked at his trade one year, after which he came to Illinois, where he continued his trade until 1877, at which time he came to Sedgwick County, Kan., and dealt in grain one year; he next came to Harper County and settled on his present home of 160 acres, which he improved and now has in a fine state of cultivation, eighty acres of which are broken. In 1878, he assisted in organizing the city of Anthony. He was Justice of the Peace in 1882. He built one residence in the city and one on the farm, and made other improvements in the county. He is a member of the order of Freemasons and was instrumental in its organization. Mr. Jennings organized the first Sunday school in the county, and was Superintendent of the same five years; he was one of the organizers of the Congregational Church, and is a member and Deacon in the same; he was one of the organizers of the Anthony Town Company, and has been its President five years. Mr. Jennings was married, in 1853, to Miss Catharine Momyer, of Pennsylvania, by whom he has five children - Florella, Mary Isabell, John Ellsworth, Louis Grant and William Henry. Mrs. Jennings is a member of the Congregational Church.

T. O. MOFFETT, County Treasurer, is a native of Illinois, and was born in 1856; he was brought up in the agricultural profession, and obtained a business education. In 1878, he came to Harper County, Kan., and located and improved a farm of 160 acres, which he ran as a grain farm about eighteen months; he was then in the dry goods business in Harper County one year. In 1881, he was elected to the office of County Treasurer for two years. He assisted in organizing the Danville Town Company, and was its first President; and was Trustee of Odell Township one year.

GEORGE P. MORGAN, of the firm of Jennings & Morgan, real estate, loan and insurance agents, is native of Petersburg, Va.; was educated for the profession of civil engineer, but his health failing he engaged in mercantile business in his native city for three years, and then came West, and settled in Harper County in 1878, forming one of a company organized at Wichita to locate and settle the present county seat, Anthony; was appointed as one of the commissioners to survey and locate the town sites of Anthony and Harper City. In 1879, he was appointed Deputy County Clerk, serving as such three years; was Township Clerk from the organization of the county until elected Trustee, in 1882; was one of the first Councilmen of Anthony, and Captain of the Third Independent Cavalry, Frontier Guard; is now City Clerk of Anthony. He is a Freemason, Knight of Pythias, member of the Anthony Dramatic Club and the Cornet Band.

JAMES A. MORRIS, attorney at law, was born in Arkansas in 1852, being the youngest of four brothers and three sisters, all of whom are dead except one sister. When he was only a month old, his father died, and his mother died in 1865. Principally through his own exertions he received an English education. He followed agricultural pursuits, occasionally attending country schools, till he was about twenty years of age, when he entered the Arkansas State University, where he remained one year. Afterward, he held several county and municipal offices in succession, till 1875, when he began reading law under Judge C. B. Neal, of Arkansas. He was admitted to the bar in 1876, and practiced his profession in Arkansas till 1883, and then removed to Kansas, and located at Anthony. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1873.

B. F. SMITH, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Anthony, was born in Massachusetts in 1847; he was raised in the agricultural profession, an obtained a high school education; at the age of twenty-five, he was engaged in the mill business, and continued seven years. In 1878, he came to Harper County, Kan., located and improved his present home of 160 acres, which he ran as a grain farm. In 1882, he harvested 800 bushels of corn and 1,600 bushels of wheat; has built and owns a residence, and is a member and director of the Anthony Town Company. He is a member of the order of Freemasons, and was instrumental in its organization; he is also a member and Trustee of the Congregational Church, and was one of the first to organize the church. Mr. Smith was married to Miss Ella A. Steadman, of Massachusetts, in 1875, by whom he has three children - Laura, Raymond and Samuel. Mrs. Smith is also a member of the Congregational Church.

R. J. SIMPSON, real estate, loan and insurance agent, is a native of Ohio, and was born in 1849; his early life was spent in school. At the age of twenty- two, he accepted a position in the Revenue Department of the Government, in which capacity he served six years. In 1875, he came to Kansas, and located at Minneapolis; after remaining about six months, he came to Wichita, and was on a farm about eighteen months. In 1878, he came to Harper County, opened and improved a farm of 160 acres, as a grain farm. Being elected to the office of Register of Deeds, in 1878, he came to Anthony and took carge of the office to which he was elected. After acting in the above capacity three years, he opened his present business. He is a member of the Anthony Town Company; is a member of the order of Freemasons, and was the first made Master Mason in Harper County; is also a member of the United Presbyterian Church, and was instrumental in its organization. He owns 1,280 acres of land in Harper County, also a residence on one-half block. Mr. Simpson was married to Miss Mary H. Hammond, of Washington, Iowa, in 1872, by whom he has two children - Mabel J. and John G. Mrs. Simpson is also a member of the United Presbyterian Church.

B. H. STEDMAN, farmer Section 13, P. O. Anthony, was born in Massachusetts, 1831; he was reared on a farm, and had a high school education. When twenty- one years of age, he began farming for himself, at which he continued until 1866; he then connected the meat business with farming, and continued eleven years, after which he came to Kansas, in 1877; stopped one winter in Wichita, packing pork; after which he located on his present home of 160 acres. Mr. Steadman also bought 160 acres, 140 of which are now broken. In 1880, Mr. Stedman engaged in the cattle trade, and drove 1,000 head the same spring. In 1881, bought 1,100 sheep. He was one of the original town company, and was elected in June, 1878, Treasurer, and still holds the same office. He is a member of the first Congregational Church, and assisted in organizing the same; he is a member of the order of Freemasons, and is a charter member; he assisted in laying out the city of Anthony, and erected the first residence in this section of the county, and put up one of the first business houses on Main street. In 1858, Mr. Stedman was married to Miss Ellen M. Strong, of Massachusetts.

T. H. STEVENS, farmer, merchant and stock-raiser, Section 23, P. O. Anthony, was born in Knightstown, Ind., in 1846, and reared in the agricultural profession and received a collegiate education. At the age of sixteen, he began work at the carpenter's trade, and continued a short time; he then joined the army, One Hundred and Twenty-fourth Indiana Volunteers, Company I; after serving two years, he returned home, and attended college two years, after which time he worked at his trade two years, and, in 1869 he came to Kansas, and located at Lawrence, where he worked at his trade two years; after which he came to Sedgwick and located on a soldier's homestead of 160 acres, which he improved and ran as a general farm about two and one-half years; he then came to Wichita, and worked at his trade two years, after which he engaged in the photograph business one year; he was then on a range in Texas one year. In 1878, he came to Harper County and located on a farm of 160 acres, which he improved, and has now in a high state of cultivation; he also opened a lumber yard, in 1878, being the first lumber yard in the county; opened contracting and building at the same time, and built three-fourths of the town of Anthony; he burnt the first brick kiln, and lives in the only brick residence in the county; opened the first general supply store in 1878, and hauled the first load of goods to Anthony. In 1881, he engaged in the stock business, bought and drove and is now grazing 600 head in the territory. He was appointed County Commissioner in 1878, and was re-elected in 1879 and 1882; he was elected Chairman of the Board of Commissioners in 1878, and has always been on hand in the time of need. He owns one residence and two business properties; and is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the A., F. & A. M.; is a member of the G. A. R., and Senior Vice Commander of the Post at Anthony; he is also a member, Vice President and one of the Directors of the Anthony Building Association. In 1869, Mr. Stevens was married to Miss Eva Rue, of Kansas, by whom he has three children - Maud, Ruella and Myrtle. Mrs. Stevens is a member of the Quaker Church at Lawrence; she is also a member of the Chautauqua Literary Society of New York.

WALTER E. TREADWELL, dealer in and raiser of thoroughbread Short-horns, Herfords and Galloways, is a native of New York, and was born in 1855. When fifteen years of age, he engaged in the fur business in New York, in which he continued until 1877, after which he came to Kansas, and located on his present home, of 6,000 acres, three minles north of Anthony, which he operates as a stock and feed farm, of which 500 acres are now in cultivation. He has now on his farm 500 head of Short-horns and thoroughbreds. He has a herd of Texas cattle on the ranch. He is also breeding Texas mares to Norman horses and has now about thirty head on hand. In 1880, Mr. E. Treadwell was married to Miss M. Luella Forrey of Chicago, Ill.

S. A. VAN KIRK, County Superintendent of Schools, was born in Pennsylvania, in 1858. Was raised in the agricultural profession, and received an academic education. At the age of seventeen years, he began teaching school, and continued five years, two years in Pennsylvania, and three in Kansas. In 1877, he came to Kansas, and was admitted to the bar in 1880; in the meantime, while teaching, he was reading law. He came to Anthony in 1880, and opened his present law office. He was elected County Superintendent of Schools in 1882, and was Deputy Treasurer for nine months previous. He assisted in organizing the Teacher's Association, and was Chairman of the same. He improved a farm of 160 acres, on which has been built a good residence, which is run as a stock and grain farm. He was local editor of the Anthony Journal for a short time.

GEORGE A. ZACHARIAS, Register of Deeds, is a native of Pennsylvania, and was born in 1835; his early life was spent in school; he obtained an academic education. At the age of twenty-two, he engaged in the forwarding and commission business, at which he continued three years, after which he acted as freight and ticket agent for the Cumberland Railroad Company fifteen years; then, after having traveled one year, he located in Harper County, Kan., and opened and ran a farm one year, after which he came to Anthony, in 1878. He was elected Justice of the Peace, in which capacity he served two terms; he was the first officer ever elected in the county. He owns a farm of 160 acres three miles north of town, which he runs as a general farm; he also owns vacant lots in Anthony, and is interested in a herd of sheep. He is a member of the order of Freemasons, and was a member of the Board of the Town Organization several years. Mr. Zacharias was married to Miss Mary A. Riegel, of Pennsylvania, by whom he has two children - Frank R. and Gertrude.

[TOC] [part 5] [part 3] [Cutler's History]