|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HARLAN - ODDY).CAPT. Z. HARLAN, County Attorney, was born in 1843, in Clinton County, Ohio, and when eighteen years of age, enlisted in Company H. Thirty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and subsequently re-enlisted in the same company and regiment at Prospect, Tenn., and served throughout the war. In April, 1864, he was commissioned Captain of One Hundred and Sixth Regiment United States Colored Infantry, and was mustered out in March, 1866, at Bridgeport, Ala., with the rank of Captain. He participated in the taking of New Madrid, Mo., Island No. 10, siege of Corinth, battle of Iuka, Miss., the second battle of Corinth, October 4, 1862, Parker's Cross Roads, Tallahatchie and Athens, Ala., where he was in command of four companies of his regiment, and was taken prisoner by Forrest, after a two-days' fight, and confined within the stockade at Meridian, Miss., several weeks, when he was paroled and sent to Memphis, subsequently being sent to parole camp, St. Louis, and exchanged in November, 1864. After being exchanged, he was detailed as military conductor on the N. & D. R. R. until July, 1865, when he rejoined his regiment at Stevenson, Ala., remaining with it until mustered out. While at Nashville, he returned home on leave and on May 16, 1865, he was united in marriage to Miss Nannie J. Harrison, of Clinton County, Ohio. After leaving the army, he engaged in the mercantile business at Burlington, Ohio, until January, 1868, when he removed to Peoria, Ill., remaining there until 1871, when he came to Eureka, and while engaged in mercantile pursuits, read law with W. C. Huffman, Esq., subsequently being admitted to the bar of Greenwood County. He was City Councilman in 1874 and City Attorney in 1877-78, elected County Attorney in 1880 and again in 1882. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Commander of Dick Yates Post, No. 50, G. A. R.
A. W. HART, grocer, was born in 1856 in Miami County, Ohio, and received his education at the Covington Academy, and came to Kansas in the summer of 1877, locating at Eureka, and taught school here until the summer of 1878, when he went into the drug store of his brother-in-law, Dr. Wassam, as prescription clerk. In the spring of 1882, Mr. Hart entered into partnership with Mr. Claycomb as grocers under the firm name of Hart & Claycomb, but, in September of the same year he bought out his partner's interest in the business. He carries at present $2,000 worth of stock, and as he aims to keep nothing but the best groceries has rapidly built up a substantial and increasing trade. His store is situated on the west side of Main street, and his stock is fully insured. December 28, 1880, he married Miss Addie Claycomb, by whom he has one child- Mary Arrah, born December 8, 1882. Mr. Hart was appointed City Clerk in 1879, and was elected a member of the City Council in 1882.
A. J. HUNTER, merchant, was born in 1849 in Fairfield County, Ohio, where his father was an old settler. Educated in the common schools, he early evinced an aptitude for commercial pursuits. His parents removed to Shelby County, Ill., in 1851, where his father engaged in farming, but the subject of this sketch thought "following the plow" too slow work, and soon began operating in stock, etc. He came to Eureka in the fall of 1869, and opened a general store here in the following spring, continuing therein until 1872, when he sold out and bought the northwest quarter of Section 24 (now occupied by Williams Bros.). Finally, he sold his farm to parties above mentioned and went into mercantile pursuits here in the spring of 1878. His average amount of stock in store is $3,500, be sides which he is the owner of property to the amount of $1,500. In 1871, Mr. Hunter married Miss Elizabeth Weakly, of Shelby County, Ill., by whom he has four children. Mr. Hunter is a member of the K. of H., and was Township Clerk in 1878, School Director from 1879 to 1881, and City Councilman in 1881, and is still in the latter office. Although a Republican in politics, he takes little active part, contenting himself with his own affairs.
C. W. HUNTER was born in 1844 in the city of New York, and by the death of his father, Mr. John Hunter, ship-carpenter, he was early thrown upon his own resources for subsistence and education. His father's death so completely broke up the family circle, and the various members thereof became so widely scattered, that William Hunter, a younger brother of the subject of this sketch, has not been heard of by him since 1856, when he was in care of an uncle in his native city. When sixteen years of age, Mr. Hunter went to Tazewell County, Ill., and engaged in farming until June 25, 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and subsequently participated in the engagements at Fort Henry, Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Champion Hill and Raymond, which latter occurred April 22, 1862, and while the Eighth were charging the Twentieth Mississippi Regiment he, with about sixty of his comrades, were cut off from their support, surrounded and captured. They were first sent to Jackson, then to Mobile, and, finally, to Libby Prison, where Mr. Hunter remained six months and fourteen days ere he was paroled and sent to Annapolis, where he remained a month, and was then sent to the parole barracks at St. Louis, Mo. He did not remain long there, however, for, procuring a three hours pass, he crossed to East St. Louis, and thereby determined to take a French furlough, and by repeatedly "jumping" freight trains was enabled to reach Peoria, Ill., and from thence to Pekin, where he remained until he saw his exchange had been effected. Shortly afterward he managed to rejoin his regiment at Vicksburg, and, on January 4, 1863, he re-enlisted in the same company and regiment, participating in all their subsequent engagements until May, 1866, when the regiment was mustered out at Baton Rouge, La., and forwarded to Springfield, Ill., for final discharge. Mr. Hunter returned to farming until February, 1870, when he came to Eureka and became a professor in the art tonsorial, conducting his establishment until 1877, when he opened a confectionery store and billiard parlor, continuing therein until September 28, 1882, when he sold out and purchased his present business December, 1882. July 21, 1872, he married Miss Lucy Snyder, of Eureka, by whom he has one child-Effie D., born May 10, 1873. Mr. Hunter owns his residence in town and other property in the county, and is a charter member of Dick Yates Post, No. 50, G. A. R., and since his residence here has always taken a warm interest in the welfare of his adopted State.
WILLIAM C. HURD, farmer, Section 10, Town 25, Range 12, P. O. Eureka, was born in 1815 in Richfield County, Conn., where he received his education, after completing which he served five years as apprentice to the trade of a carpenter; having acquired a complete knowledge of his trade, he continued it on his own account, and, in 1837, he married Miss Mary Ann Turney, by whom he has four children. In 1838, Mr. H. removed to Winnebago County, Ill., where he continued to work at his trade, and, in the course of time, acquired considerable property, but becoming infected with the war fever, he early in 1861 enlisted in Company H, Seventy-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and remained in active service with his regiment until it was mustered out in October, 1864, in Chicago. After his discharge, he returned to his old employment until 1871, when he removed to Kansas, locating on Section 10, as above stated, and engaged principally in sheep-raising for a few years; but finding that unprofitable, he turned his attention to agriculture, and has now an average yield of twenty-six bushels of wheat and fifty-eight bushels of corn per acre. Cattle, eighty-seven head, hogs thirty, horses seven. Mr. H. is a Republican, but has never of late years taken any particular personal interest in politics.
A. T. JAYNES, M. D., was born in 1842, in Delaware County, Ohio, where he received his elementary education, and, in 1866, graduated from the Miami Medical College, and at once commenced practice in Lamont, Mo., and, in 1880, came to Eureka, where he has since resided. He has an excellent farm in Jamesville Township. In 1861, Dr. Jaynes enlisted in Company F, Forty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served throughout the war, being mustered out in August, 1865, with the rank of First Sergeant.
H. S. JONES, farmer, Section 13, Town 26, Range 10, P. O. Eureka, was born in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 1833; his birth-place is now part of the city of Cleveland, and, in 1835, his father moved to Elkhart county, Ind., and, in 1849, removed to Marquette County, Wis., and in September, 1859, the family came to Kansas, locating upon his present homestead, which he has since increased to 1,200 acres. He has devoted his attention principally to stock-raising and farming. Mr. Jones is also one of the partners of the Eureka bank, and served as one of the Board of County Commissioners, and several times as President of the Agricultural Association. March 16, 1861, Mr. Jones married Miss Elmira J. Willis, a native of Indiana, who has borne him five children- Benjamin H., March 16, 1863; Edna E., April 17, 1869; Guy C., August 9, 1873; Henrietta S., February 27, 1876, and Mary E., October 7, 1879. Mr. Jones, during the war, in 1863 raised a company which formed part of the Ninth Kansas. He has also entered into almost every other enterprise conducive to the welfare of his fellow-men.
J. M. KENDALL, farmer, Section 25, P. O. Eureka, was born in 1836, in Miami County, Ohio, and has ever since he was a boy of nine years been in the cattle business; his first venture being the purchase of a calf for the sum of $2.50 in gold. For several years, however, he turned from the ancestral paths and engaged in the sale of patent rights, wire fence, agricultural implements, etc., eventually returning to his boyhood's love (cattle). Mr. K. resided for short periods in many Western States, and has shipped thousands of head of his early friends to the Eastern markets and Europe. In 1873, he accompanied a shipment of his own to England, in which country he remained several months visiting the principal cattle shows and importing some very fine Durham bulls, etc. He eventually decided in 1881 to locate permanently in this State, and selected the above-named section as his starting point, that, however, being bottom land (corn fifty bushels to acre), he found insufficient to his wants, and has lately added a section of upland to his possessions. At present he has besides his imported Durhams several fine specimens of English thoroughbred Short-horns and other breeds. Of native cattle he carries usually from 150 to 200head; hogs he does not meddle with to any great extent, finding it cheaper to buy and ship. Mr. Kendall has a very fine frame residence upon his farm, and also several dwelling houses in town, all of which are insured. He is married, and has three children; he does not bother with politics, but attends strictly to business.
JUDGE JAMES KENNER, was born in Gibson County, Ind., his parent removing thence to Wabash County, Ill. Under the tutelage of the celebrated "Old Fox" (See Centennial history of Illinois), the Judge received his education. In the spring of 1860, he came to Kansas, locating first near Iola, and in the summer of 1862 he came to Greenwood County and selected his farm on Bachelor Creek, being the northwest quarter of Section 24, Township 25, Range 10. He was elected to the Legislature in 1863, and so well did he represent his constituents that he was returned in the following year 1864. He was in the State militia during the first year of the war, and he with ten others organized the first society of Christian Brethren in the county in 1862. A church was subsequently built in 1870, at a cost of$2,450. In 1865, he was appointed Judge of Probate, and in 1866, he was elected to the office and subsequently re-elected four times. In 1866, he opened the first store in Eureka, which, having changed owners six times, has now developed into the mammoth establishment of W. H. H. Barger, corner First and Main streets. He was Justice of the Peace from 1865 to 1867. In Edwards County, Ill., he was married to Miss Judith Willis, by whom he has two children living- H. T. Kenner, now occupying the old homestead farm in this county, and Jay W. Kenner now Clerk of the County Court, and mentioned elsewhere in this history. His farm is four miles from town; he is one of Greenwood County's pioneer settlers. The Judge has ever taken a deep interest in everything pertaining to its welfare, and has liberally contributed thereto. For some time past he has resided in his town residence. In politics, he is a stanch and uncomprising Republican.
JAY W. KENNER, County Clerk, was born August 26, 1852, at Albion, Edwards Co., Ill. His parents removed Kansas in 1860, locating first at Humboldt, and in the fall of 1862 settling upon the northwest quarter of Section 24, Township 25, Range 10, four miles from Eureka. Mr. Kenner was educated partly in Eureka and also at the Normal School of Emporia. He subsequently studied law with Judge Lillie, and was admitted to the bar of Greenwood County at the November term of the District Court in 1877. He has held the offices of City Clerk and Police Justice, and in 1879 was elected to his present office. He is the owner of his residence, corner Fifth and Walnut streets; is insured. He is a member of the A., F. & A. M., and in politics is a stanch Republican.
JOSIAH KINAMAN, farmer, Section 11, Town 26, Range 10, P. O. Eureka, was born on the 22d of February, 1812, in Smith County, Va., known as Washington County, Va., and when in his third year his parents removed thence to Montgomery County, Ohio, and subsequently to Madison county, Ind. In the fall of 1846, Mr. Kinaman removed to Mercer County, Ill., where he remained until 1857, when he came to Kansas, and upon the 4th of July of that year settled upon his present location, Mr. Kinaman was one of seven families who came to Greenwood County at that time, and of whom he is now the only survivor in the county. He built the first log cabin 16x18 feet, which still stands on Fall River, and is undoubtedly the pioneer settler of Greenwood County. At that time there were no roads and few neighbors, save Indians, and ere winter came on he had to go to Kansas City for provisions, etc., for the year, subsequently for two or three years. The trip was made semi-annually, and usually occupied, even with a good team, from seven to ten days, the only guide for the first trip being a small pocket compass. It was while upon this, his first journey, that he met Mr. Edwin Tucker, moving in June 19, 1834. Mr. Kinaman married Miss Susannah Smethers, of Madison County, Ind., and who died March 2, 1878, leaving six children- Jane, born November 29, 1837, and since deceased; Eliza, born June 22, 1841, and now the wife of Oscar Coy, Esquire, of Coyville, Wilson County; Miram, born November 14, 1843, now Mrs. Thomas Williams; Biriam, born October 4, 1847, and now residing in Washington Territory; Catharine, now Mrs. John M. Fowler, born June 2, 1849, and Aaron born July 19, 1853, who is now residing in the original cabin home. William K., the elder, having several years since built him a substantial frame dwelling. October 25, 1878, Mr. Kinaman married his present helpmate, Mrs. Mary A. Stapleford, a native of Indiana, but who has resided in this county since the spring of 1860. In 1881, Mr. Kinaman had a severe stroke of palsy from which he has never fully recovered, but although in his seventy-second year his memory is as good as ever and scarcely a silver thread shows in his dark hair. At present he own about seventy head of native cattle, his ill health preventing him from raising stock as extensively as formerly. His farm being situated on rich bottom land his grain yield has always been exceptionally good, corn averaging sixty to seventy, and oats sixty, bushels per acre. He is a member of the Christian Church, and although voting with the Democratic party, he has always refused every attempt to induce him to accept a public office.
JOHN LEWIS, florist and seedsman, is a native of Shropshire, England, and was born February 10, 1828, and upon completing his education, which included the study of botany, was apprenticed four years under an experienced and practical gardener and florist. He subsequently had charge, for seven years, of the large private estate of an English gentleman of wealth, and upon leaving whose employ he established himself in the dual business of photographer and taxidermist, until he emigrated to America in 1870. Coming to Kansas the same year, he engaged in farming on Section 9, Spring Creek Township, but removed to Eureka in March, 1880, and purchased his present property in the southeast portion of town, and upon the completion of his residence and hot-houses, devoted his attention principally to his old love-Flora. He has upward of 20,000 flower plants, besides ornamental trees and shrubs, and is rapidly increasing his trade in field and garden seeds, being compelled to import largely in order to meet the demand. Some fine specimens of his flowers are to be seen in the windows of the Eureka Bank. Mr. Lewis is also no mean taxidermist, a large glass case of some fine work of his being in the room of the County Treasurer in the Court House. Being the only one in the county, he is kept busy. He intends soon increasing his gardens and enlarging his hot-houses, besides adding an addition to his house, to better facilitate the taxidermical branch of his business.
G. H. LILLIE, Ex-Judge of Probate, etc., was born in Geauga County, Ohio, February 12, 1822, and received his education in Trumbull County. He read law under Gov. Tod, of Ohio, and was admitted to the bar of Ohio in 1843, and at once commenced the practice of his profession in the town of Warren, Trumbull County, continuing therein until his removal to Freeport, Ill., in 1845, where he remained a year, and from whence he removed to Shullsburg, La Fayette County, Wis. Resuming the practice of his profession in the latter place, he was, in the fall of 1846, elected to the office of County Attorney. In 1858, he came to Kansas, locating at first in Neosho Rapids, Lyon County. While residing in Lyon County, he was elected a member of the Constitutional Convention, and in the fall of 1860 he was elected to represent that county in the Legislature. During the war, Judge Lillie rendered very efficient service as an active organizer of companies, etc., and for some time held a position in the secret service of the Government. At Onego, Ill., May 9, 1844, he married Miss Melinda Wilder, who has borne his seven children- David M., born March 5, 1846; Mrs. Catherine A. Morris, born September 4, 1851; Mrs. Laura A. Boynton, born April 22, 1853; Mrs. Sarah A. Mann, born May 22, 1855; Mrs. Maria A. Sumner, born October 14, 1857; Mrs. Maranda M. Wells, born may 28, 1859; Mrs. Ella L. Edwards, born June 30,, 1861. In 1868, Mr. Lillie came to Kansas, locating on Section 28, near Verdigris River, this county, and engaged in farming, teaching and practicing law until the fall of 1869, when he removed to Eureka, where he resumed practice, and was twice elected Mayor, and subsequently Judge of Probate Court, which latter office he filled uninterruptedly for upwards of ten years, until compelled to resign in the spring of 1882, owing to a stroke of paralysis, which has so impaired his health as to prevent his again pursuing his profession. Besides his residence and town lots (eight in number) he owns 60 acres in Section 16, situated on Spring Creek, and the greater part of which is under cultivation, with an average corn yield of fifty bushels, and at present occupied by his son; and fifty acres of Section 18, the latter being rented. The Judge has always been a prominent Free-State man, and has for many years been ever earnest to do his duty to his country, and few residents of Greenwood County are so universally respected. He is a member of the Christian Church, and contributed liberally toward defraying the cost of its erection.
ROBERT LOY, farmer, Section 29, P. O. Eureka, was born in Westmoreland County, England, and in 1854 came to the United States and located in Shelby County, Ill., upon a farm, which he subsequently sold, and in 1865 removed to his present location of 835 acres, 75 of which are under cultivation; but Mr. Loy has devoted his attention to sheep, his flock of American merinos being considered the finest in the county. Mr. Loy was married in Illinois, and has a family of seven children- Annie E., May B., John G., Alice F., Amelia and Myrtle. Mr. Loy is a good farmer, and a highly respected and influential citizen.
D. M. McKENNEY, was born in 1830. His parents removed to Butler County, Ohio, in 1838, where the subject of this sketch was educated, and subsequently entered upon the study of law, being admitted to the bar in 1850, and immediately entering upon the practice of his profession there for a period of ten years, removing to San Francisco, Cal., in 1860, where he again not only resumed the practice of his profession, but also entered upon the study of geology, natural history, entomology and botany, of which he has collected and retains many fine specimens. In 1868, he went to Oregon, where he remained two years, returning again to California, he becoming District Judge. In 1874, he came to Columbus, Cherokee Co., Kan., where he served one term as County Attorney. In 1879, he came to Eureka, where he has already established a very fine law practice. In politics the Judge is a Republican.
G. H. MARTZ, Ex-County Superintendent of Public Instruction and farmer, Section 33, P. O. Eureka, was born in 1829, in Darke County, Ohio, where he received his elementary education. He subsequently attended the Western University of Ohio, where he graduated with high honors. Subsequently he taught the higher branches in various Ohio educational institutions, for a period of fifteen years. He finally came to Kansas in April, 1871, locating in Eureka, engaging for a short period in his old occupation. In January, 1872, he was appointed County Superintendent, to fill short term, and subsequently elected to the office by a unanimous vote. Upon the expiration of his term of office, he was again returned. About this time, he purchased one-fourth of Section 33, Township 24, Range 10, near Janesville, which he devoted to stock-raising chiefly. He was subsequently elected to his old office, which he has filled to the entire satisfaction of his constituents, serving altogether, as Superintendent of Public Instruction, here, eight years. At the late elections, he was nominated, but declined, as he preferred to devote his time to his increasing stock interests. Mr. Martz has recently bought an extensive stock farm in Missouri, which will be run by his eldest son. M. Martz has only two children, and intends devoting the remainder of his life to their interests.
PHILIP M. MOORE, farmer and stock raiser, P. O. Eureka, Greenwood Co., came to Kansas in the fall of 1857, located in Woodson County, one and a half miles northwest of Neosho Fall, where he took a claim on the New York Indian land, which he pre-empted in 1860, and improved a farm which he cultivated until September, 1882, but at the same time engaged in other business; was at one time interested in a lumber yard at Neosho Falls, and for the last seven years has had a loan and insurance agency at that place, and also a loan office at Yates' Center, in the same county, and one at Eureka, Fall River and Twin Falls, in Greenwood County, Coyville, New Albany, Wilson Co.; he has very recently purchased a farm near Eureka, and will soon move to that place. He has served as Township Trustee two terms, of Neosho Falls Township. He was born in Henry County, Ind., August 10, 1835; son of William and Nancy Moore; lived in his native county five years, in Wayne County five years, in Henry County one year, Grant County eight years, Howard County three, and then moved to Kansas, where he still resides. He was married near Iola, Kan., August 12, 1860, to Melissa G. Anderson, daughter of Watson G. and Beulah J. Anderson; by this union they have six children, four of whom are living- Charles E., Effie E., Ada A. and Arthur M. Moore. Mr. Moore is one of Woodson County's enterprising business men, and is highly respected as a useful citizen.
B. J. NEWMAN, farmer and stock-raiser, Section 23, in Eureka Township, and 180 acres of Section 8, Janesville Township, P. O. Eureka, was born in 1845, in Dutchess County, N. Y., where his father had for may years carried on an extensive dairy farm. April 12, 1858, his parents removed to Kenosha, Wis., and now reside there. The subject of this sketch came to Kansas in the fall of 1870, and having previously engaged very extensively in the cattle trade in various States, decided to embark in stock-raising, he locating for that purpose on sections named above. Upon the bottom land he depends for the corn to feed his winter stock of cattle, and hitherto has raised exceptionally good corn crops. At present he has but 180 head of hogs (Poland-China and Berkshire) and 137 head of cattle. Mr. Newman has also a large range in Bourbon and another in Lyon County, the latter now being under the charge of his son, Benjamin J. Newman, Jr.
J. W. NICHOLAS, Postmaster, was born in Virginia in 1836, and subsequently removed to Lexington, Ill., where he engaged in mercantile pursuits until he enlisted in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-fifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was detailed for guard duty in Missouri, and he remained with it until mustered out at Camp Butler, Ill. In the fall of 1864, he resumed his former occupation, continuing therein until 1872, when he came to Kansas, locating in this county, and at first turning his attention to farming. In the fall of 1872, he opened a store in town, which he conducted for upwards of a year. In March, 1865, he was married to Miss Margaret Hyers, of Lexington, Ill. She died in February, 1872, leaving him with three children, viz.: Lella, Charles A. and Willie H., February 12, 1873 (sic). Mr. Nicholas married Mrs. Holman, who was then Postmistress at Eureka, having been appointed September 10, 1872, and re-appointed, owing to a change of name, occasioned by her marriage, March 6, 1873. Mrs. Nicholas held the office of Postmistress for a period of three years, when I. R. Phenis, now Probate Judge, was appointed and held the office one year. Mr. Nicholas succeeded him at the expiration of the year, and has held the office uninterruptedly since. Prior and subsequent to his marriage with Mrs. Holman, Mr. Nicholas conducted the stationery and fancy goods store in Post Office Building. By his second marriage he has two children- Ona and Frankie. In addition to his residence, Mr. Nicholas owns two business blocks and several town lots. He is a member of the Kansas Mutual Benefit Society, and also of the State Temperance Mutual Benefit and Insurance Associations. As a Government official, Mr. Nicholas is essentially the right man in the right place, faithfully discharging his often trying duties in such a courteous manner, that has earned for him the universal esteem of that hard to please master, the public. Eureka being a money order office, he has of course an assistant, and it is worth of remark, that during Mr. Nicholas' term of office, not a mistake has occurred in his office, even with not less than 70,000 letters being annually mailed therein.
IRA P. NYE, lawyer, etc., was born July 13, 1836, in Herkimer County, N. Y., and with his parents removed to Beloit, Wis., in 1846. He received his education at Beloit College, and came to Eureka in 1870, where he opened a general store, being joined in August of the same year by his brother, Mr. J. C. Nye, who is now County Treasurer. In 1874, Mr. Nye sold out his interest in the store and opened a real estate and loan office. He is the owner of 480 acres of land on Bachelor Creek, four miles north of town, 100 acres being under cultivation, and also several buildings in town. In 1862, he enlisted in Company H, twenty-second Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and accompanied the regiment, taking part in all its engagements with the enemy until March, 1863, when he was taken prisoner and confined in Libby prison until exchanged, the latter part of May of that year. Upon the re-organization of his regiment, he was upon detached duty until the close of the war, when he was mustered out at Milwaukee, Wis., July, 1865, with the rank of First Lieutenant. Mr. Nye was admitted to the bar of this county in April, 1875, and later to that of the United States Supreme Court. He was the first Mayor of Eureka upon its organization as a city of the third class in 1871, and was elected to the Legislature in 1872. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and the G. A. R.
WILLIAM ODDY is a native of Bradford, Yorkshire, England, having been born there October 22, 1832, and is a graduate of the class of 1848, of Airdale College. In 1852, he emigrated to this country, landing in New York and subsequently resided for four years in Chicago, where he was engaged in the importation of English cloth goods. In 1856, he came to Kansas, and had scarcely been an hour in Topeka, when a call was made for volunteers to go to the relief of the Free-State party at Lawrence, responding to which he subsequently became prominently identified with Jim Lane, John Brown and other leaders of the Free-State party, and not only bore arms in its defense but aided it financially to the amount of $3,500, which it is needless to say has never been refunded. Late in the year 1856, he went to Nebraska, and Colorado in the 1860, where he remained until shortly after the breaking-out of the war of the rebellion, when he enlisted in the Independent Battery Colorado Volunteer Artillery, in which he served in Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas, and with the exception of a short period when he was detailed as hospital steward, was on active duty, against rebels and Indians, receiving a painful arrow wound from the latter at Box Elder, when on detailed service. Was engaged against the Cheyennes and Arapahoes, and was mustered out May 22, 1865. While in Colorado, Mr. Oddy was Justice of the Peace and Recorder of Summit County. At the close of the war he located for a short time in Lawrence, and thence to Junction City, finally settling in Eureka, in Greenwood County, 1871. May 27, 1874, he was married to Miss Sarah Clark, by whom he has one child-George E., born February 18, 1875. Since locating here Mr. Oddy has devoted his attention principally to lime burning and building. He has held the office of Constable and clerk of School Board, and is charter member and Quartermaster Sergeant of Dick Yates Post, No. 50, G. A. R.