|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
This mining town is situated on the Kansas City, Burlington & Santa Fe Railroad, two miles from Williamsburg. It is named after J. H. Ransom, who, in 1880, after examining the quality of coal at this point and comparing it with that at Fort Scott and Carbondale, leased forty acres of E. M. Bartholow, and opened a mine by sinking a shaft. He afterwards purchased 320 acres, and started a store. The postoffice was established early in the summer of 1882, Mr. Ransom being appointed Postmaster. The town consists of about thirty-five small frame cottages, occupied by the miners.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - WILLIAMSBURG TOWNSHIP.
ALEXANDER L. ANDERSON, merchant, was born in Delaware, Ohio, April 22, 1836, and was reared on a farm. He studied medicine at the Ann Arbor University, graduating in 1859. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry. Thirty days later he was promoted to Second Lieutenant, and to Captain a few months later. He served in all four years, two of which were in detached service. Was for a time a member of military commission, which was held in the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. He came to Kansas in December, 1865, locating at Ottawa. Was for a year engaged in the grocery business, after which he carried on a hardware establishment up to May, 1877, when he removed to Williamsburg and at once engaged in general merchandise business. He has a fine store and carries a stock of about $10,000. In August, 1882, he admitted to a partnership his son John B., and the style of the firm has since been Anderson & Son. Mr. Andersdon has 320 acres of land in this county, and is also engaged in breeding cattle and fine thoroughbred horses.
JASPER ATKINSON, farmer, Section 26, P. O. Williamsburg, is a native of Gallia County, Ohio, where he was reared on a farm. In 1863, he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-second Ohio Infantry, serving something over a year, after which he followed agricultural pursuits in Gallia County until 1868, when he removed to Grundy County, Mo., and for a year, carried on a farm and also a saw-mill; then went to Polk County, Neb., where he farmed five years; was for a while not actively engaged in business on account of ill health, and in November, 1878, came to Franklin County, Kan., and located on his farm. He has eighty acres of land thirty-five acres of which are under cultivation, and is quite largely engaged in raising live-stock. He has on his place a fine orchard and also a good limestone quarry.
JACOB L. BARNETT, dealer in general merchandise, was born at Henrysburg, Belmont Co., Ohio, December 27, 1825, and reared on a farm; and was also for three years engaged in merchandise business in Monroe County, Ohio. He enlisted in June, 1861, in Company I, Twenty-fifth Ohio Infantry, serving three years. He received two wounds in the arm and breast at the battle of Gettysburg. In the spring of 1866 he came to Kansas and was engaged in furniture business at Ottawa for a year, and in farming two years; also conducted a grocery business for two years. In 1871 he came to Williamsburg and at once engaged in mercantile business; sold out in 1873 and carried on business at Princeton for two years. In 1875 he returned to his place and at once established himself in present business. He has an extensive trade and carries a stock of $7,000.
ELIJAH M. BARTHOLOW, banker, was born on the banks of the Potomac River, Virginia, February 22, 1815. He studied law in Frederick County, Md., and was admitted to the bar at that place. He, however, turned his attention to mercantile pursuits and for several years had the management of a large wholesale house in Baltimore. In 1857 he went to Dubuque, Iowa, and practiced law about five years. In 1861 he removed to Washington, D. C., where he practiced his profession until 1864, when he was induced to come to Kansas as financial agent of the east division of the U. P. R. R. Co. He held this position for four months, and was then made general superintendent of that division, and eighteen months later was appointed land commissioner for that company. Mr. B. heretofore had his residence at Wyandotte, but on being appointed land commissioner moved to Lawrence, acting for the company there for four years. In 1870 he engaged in the practice of law at that place. In 1876 he moved to Williamsburg and opened a law and real-estate office which he still continues. He organized the Williamsburg bank at this place in 1880 in company with H. Craik. The firm dissolved in 1882, and Mr. B. now conducts the business. Mr. Bartholow was the first general superintendent of the first railroad in Kansas, the Union Pacific, Eastern Division, and was the first land commissioner in Kansas of the same road.
JOHN M. BARTHOLOW, agent, K. C. L. and S. K. R. R, Co., was born in Frederick, Md., in 1845, and resided for several years in Baltimore and Washington. He came to Kansas in April, 1864, and was appointed station agent at Lawrence, of the U. P. R. R. Co., being the first to hold that position in the State. In 1865 he was appointed bookkeeper for the land department of that company, in which position he remained until February, 1867. He was then engaged in hardware business for a year. Afterwards in banking and insurance business until he sold out in September, 1876, and came to Williamsburg. He was engaged in farming pursuits and stock raising for about seven years. On May 22, 1881, he was appointed to his present position and at that time was also appointed agent of Adams Express Company.
FRANK BENNETT, editor Williamsburg Gazette, born February 19, 1859, in Macon County, Ill., in which county his father was a merchant. His education was received in the common school, after which he clerked in his father's store two years. He then learned the printer's trade, and became foreman of the Morning Review, Decatur, Macon Co., Ill., which position he held eighteen months, at the end of which time he came to Williamsburg, and established the Gazette.
RICHARD C. BIRD, farmer, Section 2, Township 18, Range 18, P. O. Homewood, was born in Tazewell County, Ill., August 8, 1838, and reared in Sangamon County, where he followed agricultural pursuits. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Seventy-third Regiment Illinois Infantry, and was discharged seven months later on account of physical disability, caused by accident while in line of duty. Mr. Bird lost his right hand by the premature discharge of a cannon while celebrating the Fourth of July, 1864, at Buffalo, Sangamon Co., Ill. He came to Kansas in October, 1866, resided for a short time at Ottawa and also Prairie City. In February, 1867, he located on his present farm. He owns 244 acres of land and leases 160 acres, cultivates 200 acres and is an extensive raiser of live stock; also breeds fine Norman draught horses. He had his residence destroyed by fire in August, 1881, and immediately built his handsome house. His farm is well improved with good orchards, barns, hedges, etc. Mr. Bird is one of the representative farmers of his township. He was assessor of the township in 1877, '78, '79 and '80. Has always been and is still a straight Republican in politics.
HEWITT CRAIK, law, real estate and insurance office, was born in Louisville, Ky., in February, 1848, and began business life as a clerk in an insurance office, which occupation he followed for several years. In the winter of 1870 he came to Kansas, locating near Cottonwood Falls, Chase County, where he followed farming pursuits for about six years, and during four years of that period held the office of Justice of the Peace. In the summer of 1876, he came to Williamsburg and has since been interested in farming and stock raising. In 1880, he joined E. M. Bartholow and organized the Williamsburg bank. In June, 1882, he sold out his interest and purchased the real estate business of Beatty & Hedges, at this place. He makes a specialty of commercial law. Mr. Craik has been Justice of the Peace at this place for the past three years. He is a prominent member of the A. O. U. W. and the Knights of Pythias, being a charter member and first presiding officer of each.
DANIEL FOGLE, of D. Fogle & Son, dealers in general merchandise was born in Dauphin County, Pa., February 8, 1832, and was reared in Brookville, the county seat of Jefferson County, he learned the trade of harness maker and also that of tanner, his father being engaged in the latter business, after which for some years he carried on a harness shop and tannery and was also from 1853 to 1863 interested in lumber business. During the war he served for three months in the Pennsylvania State Militia. In 1869 he came to Franklin County, Kansas, and for four years followed farming pursuits. In February, 1873, he purchased the business of J. L. Barnett at this place and has since carried on mercantile business. He began with a stock of about $4,500; his business increased so that now he carries an average stock of $15,000, to supply the demands of his trade. He is also interested in farming, has in this county 375 acres of land. He admitted his son Ben. C. to a partnership, January 1, 1882. This firm has one of the largest stores in the county. Mr. Fogle has been identified with the local offices of this place since his arrival in the county. Was Justice of the Peace and Township Treasurer for some years and a member of the district school board for ten years.
PHILLIP J. FREDERICK, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Homewood, was born in Westchester County, N. Y., September 5, 1834. In 1850 he moved to Sangamon County, Ill., where he learned the trade of cabinet maker and also followed agricultural pursuits. He enlisted July 19, 1861, in the Forty-first Illinois Infantry. On October 31, 1862, was promoted to Second Lieutenant for services rendered at Pittsburg Landing and Fort Donelson. He was mustered out August 20, 1864. In the spring of 1866 he came to Kansas and located in Centropolis Township, Franklin County, where he farmed for a year. In the spring of 1867 he moved on to his present farm. He owns 250 acres, 200 of which are in cultivation, and is largely engaged in raising cattle and hogs. Mr. Frederick was for six years Justice of the Peace, and in the fall of 1882, he received the Republican nomination for County Commissioner. He was married in Sangamon County, Ill., August 31, 1862, to Frances Dickerson. They have five children.
HEDGES BROS. & KIEHL, livery, feed and exchange stable. This firm has a mammoth stable with a capacity of fifty horses. They carry fourteen horses for the demands of their business, and it is one of the best stables in the county. This firm is composed of George and John Hedges and H. H. Kiehl. The latter was born in Westmoreland County, Pa., February 25, 1852. Ten years later he removed with his parents to Wyandotte County, Ohio, and two years later to Hancock County. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1870, locating at Linden, Osage County, where he followed farming and stock raising for nine years. He came to Williamsburg in October, 1879, and purchased an interest in this business.
BALLARD HUDDLESTON, farmer, Section 1, P. O. Homewood, was born in West Virginia in 1822, and seven years later his parents emigrated to Sangamon County, Ill., where he was reared on a farm, and for many years conducted a farm for himself. He came to Kansas in the spring of 1865, and resided for a few months in Douglas County, moving on to his present farm in the fall. He owns 165 acres, all improved, and raises considerable stock, making a specialty of breeding fine horses. On his place is a fine orchard of about four acres. Mr. Huddleston was married in Sangamon County, Ill., to Miranda Ridgeway, who died in 1855, leaving four children. He was married again September 9, 1858, to Isabell Roberts; they have a family of four children.
CHARLES W. IVEY, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Williamsburg, was born in Schuyler County, Ill., April 14, 1842. In December, 1855, he came to Franklin County, Kas. sic, with his father, Thomas Ivey, and assisted him in farming in Ohio Township; was also for about four years engaged in trading with the Indians. After the war, he learned the trade of blacksmith, working at it about two and a half years. In 1869 he moved to Osage County, where he followed agricultural pursuits for some twelve years. In the fall of 1879 he returned to Franklin County and located on his present farm. He owns ninetythree acres of land, of which eighty-five are under cultivation, and is also extensively engaged in raising cattle, horses, and hogs, for which he has excellent facilities, having on his premises a never-failing stream of water. Mr. Ivey was married in Franklin County, in November 1867, to Sarah J. Alexander. They have three children--Mary E., Oria, and Lilly.
HENRY T. JOHNSON, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Homewood, was born in Morgan County, Ill., December 19, 1845, and reared on a farm. He enlisted December 28, 1863, in Battery F, Second Illinois Light Artillery. He was taken prisoner before Atlanta, Ga., July 22, 1864, and imprisoned at Andersonville until exchanged two months later. He served one year and eight months, after which he taught school for a time in Morgan County, Ill. He also taught school in Franklin County, Kas. sic, six winter terms. Mr. Johnson came to Franklin County, Kas. sic, March 26, 1869, and located on his present farm. He owns 167 acres, 90 of which are under cultivation. Also raises considerable cattle, making a specialty of the high grades of Short-horns. Mr. Johnson was married at Jacksonville, Ill., March 4, 1869, to Mattie E. Riggs. They have a family of five children, all born in this State.
ZACHARY T. JOHNSON, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Homewood, was born in Morgan County, Ill., January 5, 1843, and reared on a farm; and also taught district school for a term. He enlisted December 28, 1863, in Battery F, Second Illinois Light Artillery; was taken prisoner at Atlanta, Ga., July 22, 1864, and imprisoned in Andersonville until exchanged two months later. He served one year and eight months, after which he taught school in Morgan County, Ill. Mr. Johnson came to Franklin County, Kas. sic, March 28, 1869, and located on his present farm. He owns 165 acres, 60 of which are under cultivation, and there is also a nice orchard on his farm. He raises considerable live stock, making a specialty of graded Short-horn cattle. Taught district school here for six years. Mr. Johnson was for three years a member of the County Board of Examiners on Education. He was married at Ottawa, Kas. sic, March 19, 1873, to Minerva Gott, a native of Ohio. They have a family of two children.
MILTON H. LUSK, farmer, Section 6, P. O. Williamsburg, was born in Morgan County, Ill., and was reared on a farm. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Fifteenth Illinois Infantry, and served three years. In May, 1869, he came to Franklin County, Kas. sic, and located on his present farm. He owns 320 acres of land, and cultivates 118 acres. He makes a specialty of raising cattle and hogs. On his place is a fine orchard and residence. Mr. Lusk was married in Franklin County, Kas. sic, January 5, 1879, to Millie Harlan. They have one son--E. Winfield.
ROBERT McCLURE, was born in Gibson County, Ind., March 16, 1825. Was reared on a farm. He moved to St. Louis, Mo., in the year 1846, where he was for about twenty years engaged in buying and shipping live stock, principally to New Orleans, La., and for some three years was engaged in commission and forwarding business. In 1869, himself, wife and five children came to Franklin County, Kan., and located on his present farm. Mr. McClure owns a section of land, and cultivates about 200 acres of it. The balance is all fenced and occupied for pasture. He is also an extensive raiser and feeder of cattle and hogs. On his place is a nice residence and fine orchard of all kinds of bearing fruit. He has two artificial lakes of water, which he designs stocking with fish. His farm is one of the best improved in the neighborhood.
THOMAS McGLINN, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Emerald, was born in Ireland, December 27, 1830. He emigrated at the age of nineteen years to St. Louis, Mo., where he was for some five years engaged in the mercantile business. In 1857 he came to Franklin County, Kan., and pre-empted 160 acres near Ohio City, and has since followed agricultural pursuits. In the spring of 1865 he moved on to his present farm. He has 540 acres of land, all improved, 180 of which are under cultivation. He is also engaged in breeding Short-horn cattle and Poland China and Berkshire hogs. Mr. McGlinn was elected Trustee of the Township in the spring of 1882. Since February, 1882, he has had charge of the Emerald Postoffice. He was married at Ohio City, Kan., July 30, 1862, to Elinor Butterworth, widow of Adam Butterworth. They have a family of eight children.
PATRICK McLINDON, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Williamsburg, was born in Ireland, in 1844, and emigrated with his parents to America in 1850, residing with them in the Eastern States until November, 1860, when he came with them to Franklin County, Kan. His father, James McLindon, pre-empted this farm, and the subject of our sketch farmed with him. On May 20, 1878, his father died and his son Patrick took entire charge of the place. He is now the owner of 400 acres of land, and is extensively engaged in raising stock. During the war he was in the employ of the United States Government as a teamster, and also for a time served in the Kansas State Militia. Mr. McL. was married in Franklin County, August 25, 1875, to Annie O'Neil. They have a family of four children--James, Bernard, John and Margaret.
DANIEL MAGRATH, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Williamsburg, was born in Ireland, June 10, 1845. When quite young his parents emigrated to West Virginia, and he came with them to Kansas in the fall of 1859. His father, Terence Magrath, located in Anderson County, and the subject of this sketch assisted on the farm. During the war he was employed in teaming for the Government. In 1867, he came to Franklin County, and engaged in agricultural pursuits for himself. In 1868 he located on his present farm. He owns 245 acres, fifty of which are under cultivation. Mr. Magrath is extensively engaged in feeding cattle for the Eastern market, and raises Short-horn stock, hogs, etc., besides which he is largely engaged in feeding cows for dairy purposes. He was married in Garnett County, Kan., January, 1867, to Mary Williams; she died March 22, 1879, leaving four children--Emma, Alice, Mary and Margaret. Mr. Magrath was married a second time, in Franklin County, August 16, 1881, to Amelia Law, a native of England. They have one daughter--Isabella.
EDWARD MAGRATH, manufacturer and dealer in harness, saddlery, etc. Was born in Ireland, in 1850, and emigrated with parents when very young to West Virginia. In the fall of 1859, he came with his father, Terrence Magrath, to Kansas, and assisted him on the farm in Anderson County for some years, and during two years of the period attended Mount Carmel College, in that county. In 1874, he removed to Ottawa, learned trade of harness maker, and followed it as an occupation in that city until the spring of 1879, when he came to Williamsburg and purchased his present business. He has quite a large trade and gives employment to two men in the manufacturing department. He carries a stock of some $3,000. Mr. Magrath was married at Fort Scott, Kan., November 20, 1879, to Mary Kating, a native of Ohio. They have one daughter--Julia.
MICHAEL MAGRATH, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Emerald, was born in England in 1848. When quite young he emigrated with his parents to Virginia, and in November, 1859, came with them to Kansas, and assisted his father Terrence Magrath, on his farm in Anderson County. In May, 1879, he moved across the line into Franklin County, and located on his present farm. He owns 560 acres of land, and is principally engaged in raising cattle and hogs. He was married in Anderson County, May 13, 1879, to Mary A. McDonell. They have one son--John.
FINLEY MALOY, farmer, Section 2, P. O. Williamsburg, was born in Miami County, Ohio, January 15, 1821, and reared on a farm, and also for twelve years followed school teaching in that county, and likewise engaged for three years in the States of Texas and Mississippi; in 1855 he moved to Randolph County, Ind., and for fifteen years conducted an iron and hardware business at Union City; in 1870 he came to Franklin County, Kan., and located on his present farm; he has 160 acres of land, 100 of which are in cultivation, and on his place is a fine orchard; he also raises considerable live stock. Mr. Maloy has for some twenty-four years, also, acted as a local minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church; in the spring of 1882 he organized the Sack Creek Sunday School and superintends the same.
JAMES W. OLSON, banker, was born in LaSalle County, Ill., August 18, 1839, and was reared on a farm; on August 9, 1861 he enlisted in Company F, Thirty-sixth Illinois Infantry, and was mustered out September 23, 1864, after which he followed mercantile business as a clerk at Newark, Ill. In 1867 he came to Kansas, but remained only a few months. In the spring of 1868 he located at Quenemo, Osage County, where he carried on mercantile business, and also conducted a farm for five years. In the fall of 1874 he came to Williamsburg and engaged in mercantile business, continuing for some years and in the spring of 1882 embarked in general banking and exchange business. Mr. Olson is a charter member of the G. A. R. Resaca Post No. 80, and is at present commander of the same.
WILLIAM PEDDICORD, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Williamsburg, was born in Washington County, Pa., October 18, 1817, and a few years later emigrated with his parents to Licking County, Ohio, where he was reared on a farm, and followed farming as an occupation in that county until about 1856, when he moved to LaSalle County, Ill., where for fifteen years, he carried on quite an extensive stock farm; in 1871 he came to Franklin County, Kan., and for thirteen months followed agricultural pursuits in the neighborhood of Ottawa, after which he moved onto his present farm; he has about 160 acres, 100 of which are in cultivation, and he is also quite an extensive fruit grower; on his place is about thirty-five acres of fine timber, and he has also one of the best and most convenient farm houses in the county.
JAMES M. ROBBINS, farmer, Section 14, P. O. Homewood, was born at LaGrange, Ohio, in 1835, and reared on a farm. He came to Franklin County, Kan., in 1856, and located in Centropolis, where he was employed at general farm work. Mr. Robbins took an active part in the troubles prevailing at that time, being a strong supporter of the Free-state cause. In the spring of 1860, he went to Colorado, where he was for eighteen months engaged in mining; returning to Franklin County in 1861, he again farmed, and in the spring of 1862, he enlisted in the First Kansas Battery, serving until the close of the war, since which time he has followed agricultural pursuits, locating on his present farm in February, 1869; he owns 110 acres, sixty of which are under cultivation, and he also raises considerable live stock. In the early days of the settlement of this county, he was for several years Constable and Deputy Sheriff, and served in 1877 as Trustee of this Town- ship. Mr. R. was married in Franklin, in 1867, to Mary Douglas; they have a family of three children--Phyettie, Ellen and Idonia.
CHARLES T. SEARS, manager of E. V. Boissiere's farms, etc., Section 36, P. O. Williamsburg; was born in New Jersey, and reared on a farm. He also resided for some years in the city of New York, engaged in express and transfer business. In December, 1875, he came to Franklin County, Kan., and took charge of the farm, orchards and stock-raising interests of E. V. Boissiere, who is largely engaged in the production of raw silk, at this place. Mr. Sears has under his control about 3,600 acres of land. His father, Charles Sears, manages the silk works.
HENRY STAUFFER, hotel and bakery; was born in Lancaster County, Pa., and reared on a farm in Richland County, Ohio. In 1854 he removed to DeWitt County, Ill., where he followed agricultural pursuits, and was for five years superintendent of the County Poor Farm. In 1879 he came to Kansas, and located in Williamsburg, and opened a restaurant and bakery. In 1880 he closed the restaurant and engaged in hotel business. Mr. Stauffer has a large bakery and his hotel is a good one, and he is a popular landlord. Has accommodations for forty guests. He is also engaged in farming pursuits, owning a farm of 160 acres in Osage County.
STACY H. STEPHENS, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Williamsburg; was born in Shelby County, Ind., in 1842, and reared in Washington County, Ohio, on a farm. In 1864 he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Eightieth Ohio Infantry, and served eleven months. In the fall of 1869 he came to Franklin County, Kan., and located on his present farm. He owns 170 acres of land, 65 of which are under cultivation, and he is quite an extensive stock-raiser. On his place is a fine orchard of about five acres. Mr. Stephens was married in Neosho County, Kan., in February 1870, to Catherine Powell, a native of Ohio.
HON. JOSEPH A. TOWLE, Postmaster, was born in Newmarket, N. H., August 2, 1840. His father was a merchant, and he assisted him in his business, until reaching the age of twenty-two years, when he engaged in the clothing, boot, and shoe business, carrying it on for about five years. Shortly after the outbreak of the war he enlisted at Boston, Mass; in the Second Massachusetts Cavalry. Was appointed Orderly Sergeant, later to Quartermaster's Sergeant, and some time afterwards to Assistant Quartermaster, with the rank of Second Lieutenant, serving until the war closed. He came to Kansas in July, 1867, and located in Franklin County, near the town of Williamsburg and has since followed farming pursuits and stock-raising. He owns 320 acres of land, and has also been for the past four years engaged in farming, in company with his father-in-law, Dr. Witherspoon; they have together 800 acres. Mr. Towle was elected to the State Legislature in 1879, and served one term. He was appointed Postmaster at this place in October, 1881.
E. C. WALTON, proprietor of the Williamsburg Mills, was born in England in 1844, and learned the trade of miller with his father, following it there as an occupation for about five years. In 1865 he emigrated to Youngstown, Ohio, and worked at his trade in mills in that locality. He made a trip to Australia in 1873, following milling there for eighteen months, and again in Youngstown, Ohio, until February, 1877, when he came to Williamsburg, Kansas. Was for a year employed in fitting up mills, elevators, etc., and in 1878 rented his present building, and has since conducted an extensive custom and merchant milling business. The mills are run by steam, the engine having a power of sixty horses, and 4,000 to 5,000 pounds of flour, etc., are turned out daily.
W. C. WHITE, dealer in hardware, tinware, stoves, implements, etc., was born in Butler County, Pa., and reared on a farm. At the age of thirty-two years he engaged in the hardware business in that county, following it on his own account for nine years. He came to Kansas in October, 1880, and locating in Williamsburg at once engaged in this business. He carries a fine stock of hardware, stoves and tinware. Does quite an extensive trade in the manufacture of tinware, and is only exclusive hardware house in the place.
NATHAN WILLISON, agent for S. A. Brown & Co., dealers in lumber and grain, is a native of Newport, Ky. His father is engaged in this business at that place, and the subject of our sketch assisted him in the same for several years, and was for three years engaged in the grocery business. He came to Kansas April 5, 1882, locating in Fort Scott, where he was employed by this firm in their lumber yard at that place. On June 21, 1882, he came to Williamsburg and took charge of the yard at this place.