|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
A. J. ANTHONY, stock-raiser, first came to Lawrence in 1857, and engaged in staging until 1863; he then became conductor and express messenger on the Southern Overland Stage Line from Kansas City, Mo., to Santa Fe, N. M., until August, 1867. He then located at a ranch twenty miles west of Dodge City, where he kept a few cattle and a provision store. A year thence he moved to Fort Dodge and engaged in the sutler business until 1874, when he located on a stock-ranch three-fourths of a mile west of where Dodge City now stands, where he has been engaged in the live-stock business. He has now about 500 head of cattle. He was born in Goochland County, East Virginia, July 23, 1830, where he lived two years; then moved to Rockingham County, Central Virginia, where he lived twenty-one years, and then went to Ohio and followed agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas, which was in 1857. He was married in 1872 to Mrs. Calvina Chambliss (Hagaman), of St. Louis, a native of Louisiana. They have had five children, of whom three are dead--William W. And Herman Ray are living. He assisted in organizing Ford County and Dodge City, and was the first County Treasurer, and has served three terms as County Commissioner of Ford County, Kansas.
P. W. BEAMER, general blacksmith, wagon and plow maker, was born March 12, 1846, in Jackson, Ohio; was raised in Adams and Pike counties, Ill.; served apprenticeship at the above trade in 1858-1859 to fall of 1860. Enlisted in the spring of 1861 in Company K, Sixteenth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and participated in all the battles of his command, which was under Generals Pope, Rosecranz and Grant. Re-enlisted as a veteran in December, 1863, and participated in the campaigns under Sherman until the war closed; was discharged as First Sergeant at Springfield, Ill, July 1865. Was married to Miss E. A. Keller, of Quincy, Ill., and has three children, viz., George W. A., Aaron, E. F., and Julia. Went to Colorado in the spring of 1869, and engaged in mining for several years; then worked at his trade. Returned to Illinois, and was engaged in plow-making until the fall of 1878. Came to Kansas, engaged in agricultural and stock pursuits; and came to Dodge in 1879, and worked at his trade until September, 1882, when he engaged in business as above. Is a member of the Masonic fraternity as high as Knights Templar, also as a P. G. in the I. O. O. F. and Past Chancelor of the order of Knights of Pythias, and a member of the order of Good Templars and E. A. Union of Dodge City.
GEORGE B. COX first came to Larned, Kansas, in 1872 and opened a hotel and ran the same until he came to Dodge City and began the erection of The Dodge House in the fall and winter of the same year. This hotel is 30x125 feet deep, and contains thirty-eight rooms. It was erected and furnished at a cost of $11,452, and opened to the public January 18, 1873. It was run by the firm of Cox & Boyd until January 10, 1883, when Mr. Cox bought the whole interest. He was born in Butts County, Ga., September 10, 1836, and lived in that State until the Rebellion broke out, when he became a member of the Fourth Georgia Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. After army life he drifted about in various places until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1871 to Miss Annie H. Bennett, of Trenton, N. J. They have one daughter, Clara Bell. He is a member of the Farmers' and Mechanics' Insurance Company of St. Louis, Mo., and E. A. Union of Dodge City. He has served as Probate Judge of Ford County, and Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners; has been a member of the City Council, at present a member of the School Board.
M. R. DRAPER, manager of the Dodge City branch of the York, Parker & Draper Mercantile Company. The company was incorporated under the laws of Missouri in 1881, with a paid-up capital of $150,000. Now have a surplus of $150,000. They deal in general merchandise and live-stock, and carry a general average stock of merchandise of $25,000 in Dodge City, Kansas, and opened trade in the latter city in 1881. They also have a branch house at Caldwell, Sumner County, Kansas. Their rooms are 25 feet wide by 110 feet deep, and a warehouse 25x75 feet. They have a stock ranch in the Pan Handle of Texas, where they keep at present 15,000 head of cattle on a range 12x20 miles. They employ twenty-five men. F. B. York is President; M. R. Draper, Vice-President; D. T. Parker, Secretary and Treasurer. M. R. Draper, manager of the Dodge City House, came to the latter city in 1876. He was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, February 23, 1850, and was raised in his native State. He came to Kansas in 1865, located near Leavenworth. He engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1870. He then went into the employ of Parker, York & Co., at Parker, Montgomery County, Kansas, and continued until 1873; thence went to St. Louis, Mo., and there engaged with the United States Express Company and continued until he came to Dodge City. He was married April 23, 1877, to Miss Cora E. Collins, of St. Louis, Mo. They have one daughter, Cora E. Draper. His wife died November 2, 1881.
GEORGE S. EMERSON, dealer in general merchandise, opened trade in Dodge City in the spring of 1880, and carried on the start a stock of $6,000. He now carries a stock of $14,000 and employs six clerks. He engaged in the stock business in 1876, establishing a ranch in Clark County; has since sold his stock interests. He first settled on the Saline River, Saline County, Kansas, in 1869, where for a number of years he engaged in the stock business. Then went into the business of shipping buffalo bones in a large way, which he continued in connection with freighting until he came to Dodge City. He was born in Providence. R. I., July 18, 1844, and lived in that State until he came to Kansas. Enlisted in the fall of 1864 in Company D, Eleventh Rhode Island Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in September, 1865. He was married in 1881 to Miss Annie Coffey, a native of Humboldt, Kansas. They have one son, Waldo S. Mr. Emerson has served in City Council two years.
HERMAN J. FRINGER, Probate Judge and Assistant Cashier Bank of Dodge City. He also deals in a general stock of drugs and medicines. Opened drug trade in 1872, and carries a general stock of $4,000. He first came to Fort Dodge as Quartermaster's clerk in 1867, and after some time clerked in a sutler store, until he opened the drug business. He took charge of the Dodge City postoffice (sic) by appointment in 1872, and was postmaster until June, 1882, and resigned. He was appointed County Clerk to assist in organizing Ford County, in 1873, and was Clerk of the District Court some time, until an election could be held. He served as Justice of the Peace before the county was organized. Was elected Probate Judge in 1876, and held office two terms; was again elected in the fall of 1882. He is also Notary Public. Was born in Franklin County, Pa., in 1845, and was raised in Canton, Ohio. He began life in the drug trade, and has made that a life business. Enlisted for the 100-day service in Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-second Ohio National Guard, and was mustered out at expiration of service. He is a member of Knights Templar Lodge, A., F. & A. M.
D. M. FROST, editor and proprietor of Ford County Globe, published at Dodge City, Kansas, established December 25, 1887. The paper is largely devoted to the live-stock interests of the West, and the official organ of the Western Kansas Stock-Growers' Association. Circulates largely among stockmen, and has a circulation of 700 copies per week. Mr. Frost first located in the State in 1868, at Sheridan, then the terminus of the Kansas Pacific Railway, where he held a clerkship in a general mercantile establishment, but only for a brief period, and early in the spring of 1879 he emigrated to New Mexico and entered the Morino mines near Elizabethtown, where he was engaged in mining, returning to Sheridan, Kansas, in the fall of the same year, re-engaged in mercantile pursuits. In the spring of 1870 he followed the construction of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, and finally located at Kit Carson, Col., which was left the terminus of the railroad for another year. Here he was made deputy postmaster under Major J. A. Soword, and in connection with his official duties taught a six months' term of school, having won the enviable reputation of being the pioneer schoolmaster on the Plains, or the first to teach a public school on the Great American Desert. After the close of the school he became a partner in the mercantile house of J. A. Soword, and the new firm was known as D. M. Frost & Company, where he remained successfully in business until the great Carson conflagration, in which he stood a loss of all his property he had here made and accumulated. From this point he went to Dodge City, Kansas, and finally located at Sergeant, or what was then known as the western State line of Kansas; here he was appointed postmaster, and did a mercantile business in a small way, removing to Dodge City in the summer of 1874, where he was engaged in several avocations of life, and finally was admitted to the bar as a practicing attorney of the State, and continued the practice of his adopted profession until 1877, when he engaged in the newspaper business, in which business he is successfully engaged at this time. In 1875 he was elected Representative of the One Hundred and Third District of the State of Kansas, and represented his district in the State Legislature of 1875-76. He was appointed Enumerator of the United States Census in 1880, in one of the districts of Ford County, Kansas. He has held other minor offices, both elective and appointed, among which was the Police Judgeship of Dodge City for several years, Justice of the Peace and Notary Public. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1846. His parents immigrated to Illinois at an early period of his age, and was raised in Will and Du Page counties of that State. He was married January 30, 1879 to Miss Alma H. Hagaman, daughter of Rev. Abraham Hagaman, an eminent Presbyterian divine of St. Louis, Mo. They have two children, a daughter and a son--Alma May, born September 5, 1880, and D. M. Jr., born January 18, 1882. He has represented the I. O. O. F. at the State Grand Lodge three times, of which he is a member.
GAEDE, BAKER & CO., dealers in a general line of fancy dry goods, clothing and gents furnishing goods and live-stock. They opened trade January 1, 1882, and carry a stock of $6,000 and employ one clerk in the business. The individual names of the firm are Richard Gaede, H. C. Baker and S. H. Fields. H. C. Baker first came to Dodge City January 1, 1882. He was born at Logansport, Cass Co., Ind., September 16, 1849. The family moved to Nemaha County, Neb., in 1856, where he was raised in a small village. He first began business in life as a clerk in a store at Brownville, Neb., and has always followed mercantile pursuits. He went to Atchison County, Mo., in 1874, and clerked in a dry goods store for some time, when he purchased a third interest in the same and continued for three years. He then became a member of the firm of Gaede, Baker & Co., until he came to Dodge City. He was married in May, 1877, to Miss Bertha Renner, of Rockport, Mo. They have two children - Nellie and Zora.
DR. S. GALLAND, physician and surgeon, came to North Topeka, Kan. In 1870, and practiced medicine a year; thence to Kansas City, Mo., and practiced his profession two years, when he moved to Dodge City, Kan., and permanently located, where he has been engaged in the practice of medicine until 1878, since which time he has retired from active business. He was born in Posen, Prussia, Germany, May 11, 1822, and was educated in his native country. He graduated from the old school of medicine at Berlin, in the class of 1847. Practiced in Germany two years, when, in 1849, he came to America, locating in New York City, in his profession until 1851; thence went to California and followed his profession until 1857. He then went to St. Louis, Mo., practicing his profession there and at New Orleans, La., until 1868, when he located in Kansas City, Mo., until he came to Kansas. He ran a hotel about six years in Dodge City. Was married October 13, 1858, to Miss Bertha Leon, born in Cassal High, Germany, December 12, 1825. He has served as Township Treasurer, City Alderman, etc. He is a member of the Masonic order, including the ten first degrees of same.
DR. G. B. JARRETT, physician and surgeon, first came to Dodge City, Kan., in October, 1882, and opened the practice of medicine. He was born in Pittsburg, Pa., in 1846. Educated at Jefferson Philadelphia, Medical College, graduating in medicine March 12, 1870. He began the practice of medicine in St. Louis, Mo., in August, 1870, continuing there a year he went to Almeda (sic) County, Cal., and practiced his profession seven years. He then returned to his native place, and soon afterward came to Dodge City. Was married in 1877, to Miss Almina C. Kimball, of Rochester, Minn. They have one daughter, Grace. The doctor is a practical young man and should receive the patronage of all who are in want of good medical care.
B. A. JONES, Register of Deeds and clerk in hardware house of F. C. Zimmerman. He came to Kansas in 1878 and prospected for some time, after which he began clerking for the above house. Born in Clark County, Ohio, in 1842, and was raised in that county. Enlisted in July, 1861, in Company I, Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, participating in all the battles of his command, and was wounded in a skirmish at Cumberland Ford, Ky. in May, 1863. Was mustered out of service in August, 1865. He soon afterward began clerking in general merchandising. Was married in 1868, to Miss Mary E. Nye, of his native place. They have two children--Harold N. And Clara M. Mr. Jones is a member of the first three branches of the Masonic order. Was elected Register of Deeds in the fall of 1881.
N. B. KLAINE, editor of the Dodge City Times. The paper was established May 20, 1876. He became editor and proprietor in November, 1877. The above newspaper now has a circulation of 600, and is Republican in politics. Mr. Klaine first came to Dodge City in November, 1877, and engaged as a Journalist. He took charge of the Dodge City postoffice (sic) by appointment January 23, 1883. He was born in Bordentown, N. J., February 5, 1839. He came with his parents to Rock Island, Ill., in 1851, where he lived until 1859; thence to St. Louis, Mo. He enlisted in August 1862, in Company K, Tenth Missouri Cavalry. Was commissioned Second Lieutenant. Commanded his company one year. He participated in all the battles of his command and was mustered out in May, 1864. He went to Warrensburg, Mo., in 1865, and began the publication of the Warrensburg Standard, which he continued for ten years. He was City Clerk of the latter place for a year. He represented Johnson County in the Legislature of that State in 1869-1870. He served as City Councilman of the latter city and was Supervisor of Registration of Johnson County, Kan., in 1866. Served as Probate Judge of Ford County, Kan., in 1879-80; City Treasurer of Dodge City in 1882, and is now Constable, City Treasurer and School Director. He was married in August, 1859, to Miss Julia Kinkaid, a native of Missouri.
DR. T. L. McCARTY, physician and surgeon (allopathicschool) (sic) and dealer in a general stock of drugs and medicines, carries a stock of $3,000. He came to Dodge City, Kan., in November, 1872, and opened a medical office. He opened the drug trade in 1877. He was born in Tuscola, Ill., 1848, and educated in his native State. He graduated from the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, Pa., in the class of 1870. Began the practice of his profession at St. Louis, MO., where he continued until he came to Kansas. Was married in 1871, to Miss S. L. Artt, of Cynthiana, Ky. They have one son-Claude E. The doctor is a member of the Masonic order, including K. T., I. O. O. F. and K. Of P. He has served as County Physician for Ford County a number of years, and Superintendent of Public Instruction six years, and has been surgeon for the A. T. & S. F. R. R. for the past six years.
OLIVER MARCH & CO., proprietors of the Dodge City Steam Flouring Mills. These mills were erected in the fall of 1879. Size 60x90 feet, three stories and basement, built of wood at a cost of $20,000. Capacity is 15,000 pounds of flour in twenty-four hours. They employ four men. Oliver Marsh and son became proprietors in 1882. Mr. Marsh first came to Central City, Anderson Co., Kan., with his family in 1857, built a hotel and opened a general store. In 1859 he became a licensed Indian Trader with J. A. Coffey, at Humboldt, Kan., and remained until 1864, when they moved to Kansas City, Mo., and embarked in the wholesale grocery trade three years. He then went to Chetopa, Labette Co., and engaged in merchandising and the stock business for eleven years. He then came to Dodge City and engaged in the mercantile milling business. He was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, October 21, 1826; lived there with his parents for twelve years and came with them to Fort Madison, Iowa, where he lived until twenty-one-years old, when he came to Kansas. He was married in 1852 to Miss Clarissa A. Smiley, of Urbania, Ohio. They have four children-Grace A., Arthur E., Stephen and Mark. Mrs. Marsh is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Dodge City. Mr. Marsh is a member of Blue Lodge, Masonry.
H. L. SITLER, came to Dodge City, Kans., in 1868, and engaged in freighting for the United States government, and contracting, until 1876. He then engaged in the stock business, and continued until 1882. He is one of the stockholders of the Dodge City Bank. He has since the spring of 1882, retired from business. He was born in Crawford County, Pa., August 24, 1827, and lived in that county until 1865. He enlisted in the fall of 1861, to Company I, Second Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in all the battles of his command, and was made a prisoner at the battle of St. Mary's Church, in a cavalry charge, and was confined at Andersonville, Ga., Libby, Va. and Millen, Ga., five months and twenty days. He was mustered out March 2, 1865. He then engaged in agricultural pursuits in Solomon Valley, Saline Co., Kan., until 1868. The country was a complete wild prairie, and not a railroad was then in operation in the State of Kansas; farming was therefore a slow way of making a fortune, and he turned his attention to hunting buffalo and other wild game for some time. He was married in 1875, to Miss Emma Harper of Crawford County, Pa. The Dodge City Town Company was formed in 1872, and he owned the ground where it now stands. He helped to organize the town that year.
W. J. SPENCER, clerk in dry goods house of Wright, Beverly & Co. He serves as shipping and receiving clerk. He came to Kansas in 1863 as a private of Company G, Second Colorado Cavalry and assisted to establish Fort Dodge. He enlisted in July, 1862, in Company I, Second Colorado Cavalry, and served one year in Colorado. He participated in the battle against Rebel Gen. Price, and did much service on the frontier. Was mustered out in June, 1865. He then engaged in freighting for the government, and clerked at Fort Larned, Kan, until 1870. He then clerked in a sutler store at Fort Dodge until 1873. He then came with the first settlement to Dodge City, where he has since been identified in the mercantile business. He was at the big Indian treaty at Medicine Lodge, Kan., in 1867. Was born in Ireland in 1840, and came with his parents to America in 1843. They settled in Quebec, Canada, where he lived until 1856. The family then moved into the states. Was married in 1871, to Miss C. M. Kelley, a native of Ireland. They have six children - Addie, William J., Arthur, Centennial, Emma and Ellen.
HENRY STURM, wholesale and retail dealer in all kinds of liquors. He also has a soda factory, where he manufactures all kinds of soda and mineral water and Champagne cider. The building cost $2000 and is 20x30 feet. He employs four men. He has a warehouse 20x75 feet, where he keeps a stock of Joseph Schlitz Milwaukee Lager Beer. His stock of liquors invoice at $3,000. He also keeps a billiard and saloon parlor. He has two ice houses, respectively 20x30 feet and 30x50 feet, an has 400 tons of ice stored to supply the city. He first came to Junction City, Kan., in government employ, in 1876, and continued some time in that capacity; thence to Dodge. He was born in Germany, 1837, and came to America in 1851. He was married in 1878 to Miss Ragena Bug of Cincinnati, Ohio. They have two children, Louisa C. and Bertha. He has been Township Treasurer two terms, and is a member of the I. O. O. F.
M. W. SUTTON, attorney at law, of the firm of Sutton & Wenie. Mr. Sutton first came to Wellington, Sumner Co., Kan., in May, 1872, and practiced law until December of same year, when he went to Medicine Lodge, Barber County, and continued his profession until June 1,1876, thence located permanently in Dodge City, where he has since practiced law. He was County Attorney for Barber County two years and resigned; County Attorney for Ford County from November 1, 1876 until March 1882. He was born in Orange County, N. Y., 1848, and was raised in Tompkins County, living there until November 22, 1867, when he went to Johnson County, Mo., and followed agricultural pursuits with parents and attending school. Also began reading law about that time and was admitted to bar of practice March, 1872, at Warrensburg, Johnson Co., Mo. He enlisted February 12, 1863, Company B, Sixth Regiment New York Heavy Artillery, and participated in all the battles of his command, beginning at Gettysburg and ending at the surrender of Robert E. Lee. He was mustered out August 24, 1865. He was married in 1879 to Miss Florence E. Clemons, of Genesee County, N. Y. They have one son, Stewart C. Mr. Sutton is a member of Blue Lodge, A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. of Kansas City, Mo.
FREDERICK T. M. WENIE, of the firm of Sutton & Wenie, attorneys-at-law. He is also engaged in the insurance, real estate and collection business. He first came to Dodge City, Kansas, in 1879, and clerked in the Quartermaster's store at Fort Dodge until April 1, 1880, when he came to Dodge City and entered the law office of M. W. Sutton as a law student, and was admitted to the bar of practice at the June term of court in 1882. He was appointed City Attorney of Dodge City in April, 1883. He was born in Oneida County, N. Y., in 1859 and was raised in his native county. His father, Thomas M. Wenie, was First Lieutenant in the regular army, and employed his son as a clerk for him four of five years.
WRIGHT, BEVERLY & CO., dealers in a general stock of merchandise and men's outfitting goods, opened business in 1877. They employ eight clerks and carry a general stock of $40,000. Individual names of the firm are R. M. Wright and H. M. Beverly. H. M. Beverly came to Kansas in 1870 and engaged in the cattle business at Abilene, afterward at Ellsworth, Great Bend, and finally Dodge City. He has followed the Texas cattle trade for a number of years. He was born in King George County, Va., in 1826, and was raised in Henderson, Ky. He enlisted with Texas troops in Confederate State service, was Second Lieutenant of his company, and served some time in that capacity. He was married in 1850 to Miss Fannie C. Skiles, a native of Kentucky. They have seven children living: E. Bell, William, Harry M., Ellen H., (married to Lieutenant F. D. Sharp, USA), James R. Eva L., and C. May; lost one, Fannie B., who was married to John Frazer, of Kansas City, who is also dead.
F. C. ZIMMERMAN, dealer in a general line of hardware, guns, ammunition, crockery and glassware, stoves, pumps, lumber and building material, agricultural implements and wagons. He opened business in 1872, being one of the first traders in Dodge City. He first carried a stock of $3,000 in fire arms and ammunition only. He now carries a stock of $15,000 and employs three men. He has a fine residence one mile west of Dodge, with 240 acres of land. He was born in Prussia, Saxony, Germany, 1883 (sic). When he was only twenty six years old, he was foreman for Gastrine Renett, gunsmith, Paris, France, and had charge of forty men. He came to New York City in 1863, and worked at his trade of gunsmith in may portions of the Eastern States. He was married in 1865 to Miss Matilda Messenger, of Wurtemburg, Germany. They have two children living, Arthur and Clara. William, Adelia and Blanche are deceased. He is a member of the Knight Templar Lodge, A., F. & A. M., of Great Bend. He was a member of the County Board when Ford County was organized. He served as County Treasurer four years, and is present County Commissioner of the county.