|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Wilson, is the name of the thriving town located about one mile and a half north of the Smokey Hill River, in northwestern portion of the county and almost on the line between Russell and Ellsworth counties. It is the last station on the Kansas Pacific Railway in Ellsworth County. While the town is known by the name of Wilson, and is so set down on all the maps, the plats and records in the office of Register of Deeds fail to show any such town. The name of the town as shown by the records is "Bosland," but for some reason of other, this name has been discarded and "Wilson" substituted, and by the latter it is generally known.
The originators of the town were impressed with the idea that it would become the greatest cattle point in the West, and in casting about for a name, stuck upon "Bosland" as being the most appropriate, believing it would be as attractive to cattle as the co-bos, co-bos, of the milkmaid is to the cows. This idea proved to be rather delusive, because "Bosland" never became famous as a cattle point, and the name was soon lost in that of Wilson. The town was located and surveyed in September, 1871, by the National Land Company, but prior to that time, it had been known as Wilson Station, the railway company having built a depot there in 1868. This name was derived from the township in which the depot was located, that being Wilson.
The first building erected in town after the site was surveyed and platted was built by Phillip Gabel, on the west side of Michigan Avenue near the railroad track, in which he opened the pioneer store of Wilson. The first settlement around Wilson was made in the spring of 1871, about six months before the town of Wilson was located, and the first person to make permanent settlement on a piece of government land in the vicinity was J. T. McKittrick, he having located on the northeast quarter of Section 20, Township 14, Range 10, west of the Sixth Principal Meridian. The town of Wilson proper is situated on the west half of the northeast quarter of Section 19, Township 14, Range 10. Subsequently, Tyler's addition was added.
Wilson has had a good, healthy growth since it first started; people who came, came with the intention of making their settlement permanent. The town has superior advantages to many other towns in Central Kansas. It has an excellent agricultural country to support it, and located as it is in the northwest corner of the county, draws a great deal of trade from the southern portion of Lincoln County and the eastern part of Russell County in its vicinity, and which are being successfully operated. This advantage, in a country like Central Kansas, where fuel is so very scarce, cannot be over-estimated.
In the fall of 1871 and spring of 1872, a good many settlers located in and around Wilson, most of whom, however, settled upon claims in Russell County, a few miles west of town. Those people were mostly from Pennsylvania, and among them were Mr. Himes, with three sons; Jacob Sackman, Michael Ship, John Sellers, Michael Boland, Henry White and John Dellinger. Of this party, Mr. Himes and two of his sons crossed the Ellsworth County line and located in Russell County. The other son, S. P. Himes, remained in Wilson and entered as clerk, in the store of J. Beebe & Co., which had been built and opened a short time previous to his arrival.
At the time Wilson was laid out as a town, a man named George Wright was employed as express agent, and he in company with on J. Briggs, went into the lumber trade and started a lumber yard. Among the first settlers in town, was Jacob Fowle, since deceased, who put up a building on the south side of the railway track, being that now occupied as a grocery store by Stuckie & Lewis.
Scarcely had anything of a settlement been made in the town, when steps were taken to erect a schoolhouse, and in 1872, the erection of one was commenced, but when it was part way up it was blown down by a wind storm, and work upon it was not resumed until 1874, when a very fine stone school house was erected in the southeast part of town. It is a very neat stone building, surmounted with a cupola. It is rather small, and contains only two rooms, one above and one below. It is only used, however, for pupils that are well advanced in their studies, another building being used for the primary department, and pupils not sufficiently advanced to attend the higher school.
The years 1877-78 were years of marked improvement in the town, and a good many buildings were erected both as stores and residences. These years were also remarkable for an immense immigration into the section of country in which Wilson is located. To accommodate the new-comers, a large wooden building was erected about twenty rods west of the town and north of the track, which was partitioned off into rooms, and there the new comers were quartered, until those who concluded to remain in town could build houses, and those who concluded to homestead it could select claims and put up suitable buildings to live in. This building was known as the "barracks," and when there was no further use for it, it was burn down and converted to other uses.
Like the first buildings in all new frontier towns, those in Wilson were rather inferior, and mostly only one-story high. The "Wilson House" is a stone building, and was built in 1877 by A. Jellison. It is a very neat two-story house and stands on the south side of the railroad track opposite the depot. H. M. Keyser and family arrived in Wilson in the spring of 1878, and upon their arrival, Mr. Keyser purchased two lots, and immediately commenced the erection of a good two-story frame building. This was the first two-story frame building in town.
About as many buildings went up in Wilson in 1878, as had been erected in all the years that preceded it. In the fall of that year, the Kansas Pacific Railway Company commenced the erection of a magnificent stone depot. The lateness of the season at the time of its commencement did not admit of its being finished that year, but in the spring following it was completed. The building is one hundred feet long and thirty feet wide, and is among the finest depots on the entire line of road between Kansas City and Denver.
In regard to improvement, 1879 was nearly a repetition of what had been done in 1878, and while the buildings that went up were not quite as numerous, they were of a better class. To supply a want that was badly felt, H. Greenough erected a steam flouring mill, which he fitted up with the most improved machinery, and set in motion in May, 1879. It is not an extensive institution, but is sufficiently large to supply the demands of the surrounding country. It has three run of stone, and is capable of grinding five hundred bushels of wheat per day. In that year also, Schermerhorn and Thompson put up a very fine frame store building on Michigan Avenue, in which they put a stock of dry goods and commenced business. In the January following, Thompson sold out to Mr. Lang, after which the building was greatly enlarged.
Wilson was now commencing to look something like a town. It had a first class depot, a good schoolhouse, two or three hotels, a flouring-mill, a bank, a printing office, several business houses, tow or three church organizations, but no church buildings. The following year, however, saw a handsome stone edifice erected by the Presbyterians at a cost of $3,000, and up to this time there is no other church building in town. The church has a membership of fifty and is under the pastoral charge of Rev. D. R. Hindman. The Methodist and Evangelical churches have organizations, but no edifices. The former occupy the Presbyterian Church every alternate Sunday, and the latter hold service every other Sunday in the schoolhouse. Rev. Father Kelly, whose residence is at Ellsworth, holds Catholic service at Wilson once a month.
Some substantial improvements were made in 1880, aside from the erection of the Presbyterian Church. Messrs. Nesmith & Walmer erected a fine two-story stone building on Michigan Avenue, as did also Barton & Carbiener. The former is used as a grocery store and the latter as a hardware store.
Wilson is a progressive, prosperous town, and is inhabited by a thrifty, enterprising, and energetic people, who are not discouraged by difficulties, or rendered reckless by prosperity. For a town only twelve years old it has made wonderful progress, and gives evidence of what a few determined people can do. The business of the town is represented by M. H. Keyser, F. Deissworth, Schermerhorn & Lang, and John Tobias, dealers in general merchandise. Jellison & Hindman, Stassen & Danner, Nesmith & Walmer, Stuckie & Lewis, and B. F. Himes, dealers in groceries; N. Lewis, boots and shoes; James Briggs, books and stationary; James Latta, drugs; Barton & Carbiener, hardware and furniture; E. Y. Dollenmeyer, watches, clocks and jewelry; Weatherby & Co., millinery; Claussen & Co., hardware; Anspach & Youngman, bankers; and several others engaged in miscellaneous business, such as dealers in real estate and agricultural implements, lime and cement, coal, grain, lumber, meat markets, and in fact, every branch of business to be found in a live, progressive town. There are three grain elevators in the place, though which an immense amount of grain passes annually, while the extent of general mercantile business transactions establishes the fact that Wilson in the full enjoyment of business prosperity. According to the Assessor's return for 1882, the town has a population of 503, but yet it never has been incorporated.
The Wilson Echo, the only paper published at Wilson at this time, was established by S. A. Coover in August, 1879, in whose possession the paper has remained since it was first started, and who still continues to publish it, as sole editor and proprietor. It is an eight-column, four-page weekly. Republican in politics, and has a circulation of 800.
The Cain City News is published in the southern part of the county, in a small village containing about seventy-five inhabitants, named Cain City. The paper was started in January, 1882, by Henry Trump, by whom it is still owned, Dr. B. Grant Jeffris being editor. It is a six-column, four-page weekly.
J. W. BRIGGS, postmaster, and dealer in confectionery, cigars and notions. He took charge of the post office in the fall of 1878, and began trade at the same time. Carries a stock of about $1,500. He came to Wilson in 1872, and went into the lumber trade for two years. Farmed some time. He then returned to Rock County, Wis., and remained tow years. Came back to Wilson and farmed a year, and then clerked in a grocery store until he became postmaster. He was born in Funds, Montgomery Co., N. Y., in 1838. The family moved to Rock County, Wis., in 1842. He was raised on a farm, and educated in the common schools and the Milton Academy, in Rock County. He enlisted, in the fall of 1861, in Company F, Thirteenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. Was made Second Sergeant, and was mustered out as Captain of his company in December, 1865, at Madison, Wis. He participated in all the battles of his command. He was married in 1869 to Miss Isora L. Fowle, of Rock County. They have one son -- Freddie. Mr. Briggs is a member of the Masonic order of Oshkosh, Wis., and Wilson Post, No. 115, G. A. R.
BARTON & CARBIENER, dealers in a general line of hardware, stoves, tinware and household furniture. They occupy two rooms and basement, 30x65 feet, and carry a stock of about $5,000. Employ three men. They also keep a full line of agricultural implements. S. E. Barton first came to Wilson in the spring of 1874, locating on a homestead. He farmed one season, then returned to Iowa and farmed until 1880, when he returned to Wilson and became interested in the above business. Born in Westmoreland, Pa., in 1851. Parents moved to Iowa County, Iowa, in 1856, where he was raised a farmer. Married in 1873 to Mrs. Jennie Griswold (Nesmith), of Van Buren County, Iowa. They have tow children -- Grace Edith and Earl Clifton. He is a member of Ellsworth Lodge, No. 146, A., F. & A. M., and temperance organizations of Wilson.
DANIEL CARBIENER, firm of Barton & Carbiener, dealers in general line hardware, stoves, tinware, and agricultural implements -- first came to Wilson, Kan., in the spring of 1877. Locating on a homestead, he farmed until he became a part of the above firm. He was born in St. Joseph County, Ind., in 1853. Raised and educated in his native State. He first followed agricultural pursuits for several years, but finding merchandising more congenial to his taste, soon became interested in trade, which he is now actively engaged in.
J. H. CLAUSSEN, of the firm of Claussen & Co., dealers in farm implements, hardware, stoves, tinware and household furniture. He opened trade in February, 1877, under the firm name of Deissroth & Claussen, which was continued until January 1, 1882, since which time the style of the firm has been as above named. His store was erected in October, 1878, size 20x50 feet, with an addition 20 feet long. They occupy a basement and two floors, and carry a stock of about $10,000, and employ four men. They also buy all kinds of grain, and are proprietors of the Eastern elevator, which has a capacity of 5,000 bushels. They by, on an average, eight car loads per week. Mr. Claussen was born in Germany, in 1847, and came to America in 1866, locating in Philadelphia, Pa., where he engaged as a traveling salesman in the cutlery and hardware trade until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1872 to Anna Claussen, of Philadelphia, Pa. They have one daughter -- Addie Dora.
FREDERICK DEISSROTH, dealer in dry goods, hats, caps, boots and shoes. He opened the business January 4, 1882. He first landed in Wilson March 19, 1877, being at the head of the Kansas Colonization Company, of Philadelphia, Pa. He located over forty families at the time of coming from Philadelphia. He afterward became a partner in a hardware, implement and harness business, under the firm name of Deissroth & Claussen, which was continued until he began alone. He occupies rooms 20x50 feet, basement and two floors, and carries a stock of $15,000; employes two clerks. Born in Germany in 1846, he came to America in 1865, locating in Philadelphia, Pa., where he followed his trade of stone-mason, contracting and building nine years, when he became principal of ht above colony. Married in 1869 to Ernsteina Linsenbarth, of Germany, who came to America with her parents at the age of six years. They have six children -- Frederick William, August Rudolph, Charles Henry, Ernestina, Theresa and Daisy. Mr. Deissroth is a member of Ellsworth Lodge, No. 146, A., F. & A. M., and Philadelphia Lodge, 312, I. O. O. F., Order of Seven White Men, and Turner Society, of Philadelphia, Pa. He is county Commissioner for Third District of Ellsworth County.
HIMES & LATSHAW, dealers in lumber and all kinds of building material. They carry a stock of about $10,000. They are also proprietors of Smoky Hill coal banks, which are located tow and one-half miles south of Wilson on a river of the same name. Their interests comprise about 200 acres of coal land, the coal of which is of a bituminous nature, and employ about twenty men in their mines in the season for mining it. The Smoky Hill Coal Company is composed of Joseph Latshaw, Ecker and S. P. Himes. Mr. Himes located in Wilson in the spring of 1871, and engaged in general merchandising until 1874, then in the hardware trade until he opened a lumber-yard in 1876. Born in Cumberland County, Pa., in 1851, and was raised and educated in his native State. He opened the first store in Wilson. He has been a member of the Wilson School Board many years. Married in 1878 to Miss Lena J. Claussen, a native of Philadelphia, Pa. They have two children -- William J. H. and Edward.
A. C. JELLISON, of the firm of McKenzie & Jellison, dealers in all kinds of grain and farm implements, wagons, buggies, sewing machines, windmills and pumps. Mr. McKenzie opened the grain trade in the summer of 1881, and implement trade the same spring. They carry a $1,500 stock of implements. A. C. Jellison became a partner in the above firm in April, 1882. He first came to Wilson in the fall of 1873, and soon engaged in the lumber trade, which he continued seven years. The first year in Wilson, however, he was in mercantile business. He was born in Wood County, Ohio, in 1858. Moved to La Fayette County, Wis., in 1862 with his parents. Was raised on a farm until 1873. Married in February, 1876, to Miss Nellie Ray of Pittsburg, Pa. They have one son -- Frank C. Mr. Jellison has been City School Treasurer five years, Town ship Treasurer two years and Town Clerk one year. He has one-half interest in the Wilson Creamery, which is two miles south of Wilson. The building is constructed of stone, 24x36 feet, two stories high and cost $3,000. It has a capacity of 1,000 pounds of butter per day, and contains all latest improved machinery.
W. D. JELLISON, dealer in all kinds of lumber and building material, coal, etc. He opened the business in September, 1882, and carries a stock of about $6,000. He came (sic) Wilson in October, 1873, assisting his father in the stock business, merchandising, etc. He was born in Wood County, Ohio, in 1860. His parents moved to La Fayette County, Wis., in 1862, where they lived until 1873, when the family moved to Kansas. Mr. Jellison's first experience in business began in Wilson; but in the midst of a fine grazing and agricultural country, and full of enterprise and ambition, coupled with good business qualifications, he will make his mark in the business world.
S. B. JELLISON, firm of Jellison & Carhart, dealers in Queensware, glassware, groceries, boots and shoes, notions, etc. They opened trade in April, 1882, and carry a stock of $2,000. They also buy all kinds of farmer' produce. Mr. Jellison came to Wilson in the spring of 1874, and farmed until he became interested in the above business. Born in Wood County, Ohio, in 1860. Parents moved to La Fayette County, Wis., in 1862. Moved to Mason City, Iowa, in the spring of 1871, where he was engaged in agricultural pursuits until he came to Kansas. He is a member of Wilson temperance organizations.
JOHN A. LANG, of the firm of Schermerhorn & Lang, came to Kansas in March, 1879. He went to farming with the intention of going into the stock business. He engaged in the latter business, in which he is still interested. He became a part of the above firm January 24, 1881, and moved to Wilson in February, 1881. He was born in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., in 1840. He was raised and educated in that county, and enlisted in 1861 in Company E, Eighth Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Was wounded by bushwhackers in Louisiana opposite Vicksburg, Miss., and afterward participated in all the battles of his command, Second Division, Fifteenth Army Corps, in number about fifty-five including the skirmishes. Was mustered out at Atlanta, Ga., in August 1864. He then returned home and lived there until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1867 to Miss Caroline Nussbaum, a native of Switzerland. He is a member of Wilson Post No. 115, G. A. R. He is a member of the Kansas Benevolent Society.
LATSHAW & GREENOUGH, proprietors of the Golden Belt Steam Flouring Mills. These mills were erected in 1879, size 30x40 feet three stories high; storeroom, 15x40 feet; engine-room, 20x40 feet; engine, fifty-five horse-power. The capacity of the mills is 100 barrels flour in twenty-four hours; employ four men. The mills were erected at a cost of $10,000. Their principal flour markets are in Colorado. Mr. George Greenough came to Wilson to reside in the fall of 1878, when he started the foundation for the above mills. He was born in Lacon, Marshall Co., Ill., February 8, 1859. Was raised and educated in his native State. He followed the occupations of engineer in Illinois.
JOSEPH LATSHAW, firm of A. Latshaw & Co. The company is composed of three brothers, A., J. and E. Latshaw. They are proprietors of the Latshaw Steam Grain Elevator, which was erected in 1876, size of which is 40x30 feet, 20 feet high; capacity, 4,000 bushels per day; employ three men, and shipped 120 car-loads of grain in the season of 1882. They buy all kinds of grain and produce. Mr. J. Latshaw is a part of the company, Latshaw & Greenough, proprietors Golden Belt Steam Flouring Mills, and Hines & Latshaw, dealers in lumber and building materials and proprietors Smoky Hill coal banks. He came to Wilson in the fall of 1876 and engaged in the lumber and grain trade. Born in Paris, Canada West, in 1844. Came to the United States, locating in Kansas City, Mo., in 1869, when he embarked in the grain trade, having erected the first grain elevator in that city in company with his brothers. Their elevator burned down at a loss of $15,000 to them. He soon afterward came to Wilson. Married in 1882 to Miss Mary Bassett, of Berlin, Wis.
JAMES LATTA, dealer in drugs, medicines, paints, oils and druggists' sundries, opened business in November, 1877. He erected his store building in 1877, and occupies rooms 18x54 feet. He carries an average stock of about $2,000. He was born in Philadelphia, Pa., in 1848; went to Glasgow, Scotland, in 1856 with his father (John Latta), where he was educated; he clerked there in a clothing store; he returned to his native city in 1869 and engaged in bookkeeping until coming to Kansas on account of health; but about six months after he landed he engaged in the above business. Married in 1878 to Miss Janet Mair, of Philadelphia, Pa. They have one son, James Mair Latta. Mr. Latta is a member of the Masonic order, and I. O. O. F. of Philadelphia, Pa.
N. LEWIS, dealer in boots and shoes, and manufactures harness, saddles, etc., began business in 1875; erected his store building in 1878, size of which is 22x40 feet, at a cost of $600; carries a stock of about $3,000. He first came to Wilson in 1872 and followed farming until he began business. He was born in Germany in 1832 and came to America in 1854, locating in Cumberland County, Pa., where he worked at his trade of shoemaking until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1861 to Miss Margaret Finkenbinder, a native of Cumberland County, Pa. They have five children -- Fred R., William N., Daniel A., Jennie B., and Samuel A. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. of Pennsylvania.
D. A. McKENZIE, firm of McKenzie & Jellison, dealers in all kinds of grain and agricultural implements. They opened the business in 1880. They shipped at least 240 carloads of grain in the season of 1882. The capacity of their elevator is about four car-loads per day; employ four men in the business. D. A. McKenzie also owns a farm in 160 acres all under cultivation, which joins the village site on the west. He first came to Wilson in the spring of 1878, when he began farming and dairy business, which he still carries on. He was born in Livingston County, N. Y., in 1858. Was raised on a farm, living in his native State until he came to Kansas. He assisted in taking the United States census of Kansas in 1880. He is one of the best business men in his village.
J. T. McKITRICK, land agent for the U. P. R. R. lands. He has been justice of the peace, notary public and insurance agent since 1873. He first came to Wilson, in April, 1871, moved his family in July of the same year, locating on a homestead one half mile east of Wilson. He now owns 320 acres of land skirting the town site and considerable town property. He has his land all improved and twenty-five milch cows. He was born in Lancaster County, Pa., October 3, 1826. He went to California in 1850, where he worked at the carpenters' trade and followed the sea, making trips to Alaska, Sitka and the Sandwich Islands. On his return home he joined a vessel and went to Calcutta, India, arriving in New York City February 14, 1856, when he returned to his native county. He soon afterward superintended the building of the Union Depot, at Harrisburgh, Pa; went to Pittsburg, Pa, in March, 1858, and soon afterward to Cincinnati, Ohio. He was married in the fall of 1858, to Miss Sarah M. McVety, of Leeds, England. He remained in Cincinnati until he came to Kansas, where, after prospecting for some time, he finally located in Wilson. He was one of the delegates to the Ohio Soldiers' Colony of Hamilton County Branch. He was also one of five to prospect and locate 600 families under the organization of the above colony. He has been the means of locating many families on homesteads in Ellsworth County. They have four children -- Ida, now married to John A. Johnson, Edward, Ella, and Julia. He enlisted in May, 1864, in the One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Ohio National Guards, was mustered out in September, 1864. He was Second Lieutenant of Company C. and participated in the battles of White House Landing, Petersburg and Richmond. He was the guide for the Alexis Buffalo Hunting Tournament several years ago.
NESMITH & WALMER, dealers in groceries, queensware and tinware. They began trade in 1879, and erected their store building, 25x70 feet, two stories high, of stone, at a cost of $3,500 in 1879. They carry a general stock of about $3,500. Joseph Walmer came to Wilson in 1877, and engaged in farming until he began in trade. He was born in St. Joseph County, Ind., in 1855, and was raised and educated in his native county. W. L. Nesmith came to Wilson in 1877, and engaged in the grocery business, which he has since continued. They formed the co-partnership in 1879. Mr. Nesmith was born in Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1852, and was raised and educated in his native county. He was married in 1874 to Miss Clara H. Carhatta, a native of Missouri. They have two children--Edgar L. and Joseph Hal.
E. D. SCHERMERHORN, firm of Schermerhorn & Lang, dealers in dry goods, clothing, hats, caps, ladies' and gents' furnishing goods, boots and shoes, etc. They opened the trade April 8, 1879, and occupy rooms 32x70 feet, employ four clerks, and carry an average stock of $15,000. Mr. Schermerhorn came to Ellsworth County in 1866, and clerked in a sutler's store until spring, 1870, thence to Spirit Springs on Solomon River, being sutler for G troops, Seventh Cavalry and Fourth Battery United States Artillery until October 15, same year. He then located twelve miles north of Wilson in the stock business, which he followed one and one-half years. He removed thence to Kaw Canyon, and followed the same business until March 1, 1872, when he came to Wilson and began business. He was born in West Stephentown, Rensselaer County, N. Y., in 1848; and was married in 1875 to Miss Christine Caline, a native of Sweden. They have one son, Frank J. Mr. Schermerhorn is a member of Ellsworth Lodge, I. O. O. F.
STASSON & DANNER, dealers in hardware, queensware, glassware, groceries, provisions, etc., opened trade in June, 1881, and carry a stock of about $2,000. Ira M. Danner came to Wilson in 1878, and engaged in various occupations until he became interested in the above trade. Born in Farmers City, De Witt County, Ill, in 1847. Was raised on a farm, which business and stock-raising he followed until coming to Kansas. Married in 1868 to Miss Mary Strausbury, of the latter city. They have four children-- Clark L, E. Orville, Etna and Bertha. He enlisted in 1863 in Company L, Eighth Iowa Cavalry, participating in all the battles of his command. Mustered out in Macon, Ga., in August, 1865, as Second Sergeant. He is a member of Wilson Post, No. 15, G. A. R.
JOHN TOBAIAS, dealer in a general stock of groceries, crockery, boots, shoes and farm implements; carries a stock of about $5,000. He opened the trade in 1877, with dry goods also. Went out of trade in 1881, excepting farm implements. Soon after opened the grocery trade, etc. Born in Bohemia, Europe, he came to America in 1855, and located in Minnesota, where he engaged in the boot and shoe business, and added general merchandise in 1872, which he continued until coming to Kansas. Married January 2, 1867, to Miss Rosalie Pichner, who was born in Bohemia in 1847. They have five children -- Joseph F., John C., Emma, Henry, Agnes (deceased) and Frederick. He is at present a Justice of the Peace, also a member of the Reading and Agricultural Society of Wilson, Ellsworth County.
JUDGE G. M. WOODWARD came to Wilson July 31, 1875, and engaged in stock-raising. He has now 200 head of cattle, mostly of Durham stock. He also has a farm in Vernon County, Mo., of 280 acres, well improved. He is a native of Windsor County, Vt., born in 1822. He moved to Harper's ferry, Va., when he was young. He was there made prisoner by the celebrated John Brown, of Harper's Ferry fame, in 1859. He was engaged in lumbering on the Alleghany (sic) Mountains, in Maryland, a number of years. He then went into the tannery business at New Creek, Mineral County, Va. -- it was then Hampshire County, Va. -- where his fortunes were reversed, and he lost his property during the war. He then shifted about for several years, was on the extreme border of civilization in Texas, and spent two years in the wilds of that State outside of any mark of civilized country. He then went to Vernon County, Mo., and began agricultural pursuits and stock - raising. He officiated as Judge of the County Court of Vernon County for one term. He was married in 1859 to Miss Abigail Arnold, of Hampshire County, Va. They have one son -- David Frank. The Judge was a member of the I. O. O. F., the Independent Order of Red Men, and the Masonic order before the late war.