|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (ALDEN - LYONS).
GEORGE E. ALDEN, Register of Deeds of Ellsworth County, Kan., moved from Pittsburg, Pa., to Elwood, Kan. In 1858. Resided at St. Joseph, Mo., where he was engaged in the hotel business until September, 1861, when he enlisted in Col. J. W. Birge's regiment of sharp-shooters. Served with his regiment, afterwards known as the Sixty-sixth Illinois Infantry, in the Army of the Tennessee, until August, 1863, when he was promoted to be captain and assistant quartermaster of volunteers, and assigned to duty in the Army of the Cumberland. Served on the staff of Maj. Gen. Kilpatrick, commanding the Third Cavalry Division District of Columbia until the close of the Atlanta campaign, from which time until the close of the war was on duty as dept quartermaster at Chattanooga, Tenn., and Bridgeport, Ala. when he was appointed captain and assistant quartermaster United States Army. Was brevetted major for faithful and meritorious services during the war. Assigned to duty as depot and disbursing quartermaster at Pittsburg, Pa., until September, 1867, and afterwards in the same capacity at Savannah, Ga., and Charleston, S. C. also as acting chief quartermaster, Department of the South, at Atlanta, Ga., on the staff of Maj. Gen. Mead. In June, 1869, was ordered to Texas, and assigned to duty as assistant chief quartermaster, Department of Texas, until May, 1870, when he was relieved from such duty and ordered to Fort McIntosh, Texas. Resigned his commission in December, 1871, and was engaged in business in Savannah, Ga., until 1877, when he removed to Ellsworth, Kan. Was Deputy Register of Deeds, County Clerk, and Clerk of District Court until November, 1879, when he was elected Register of Deeds; was re-elected in 1881. Was born in Cambridge, Mass. in April, 1838. Married in March, 1869, to Miss Ellen Brown, of Savannah, Ga. Had seven children - Hattie E., Leonilla V.(deceased), George E., Susie G., Monroe, William F. And John R. Is a a (sic) prominent member of the Masonic order, having held various offices in Franklin Lodge, No. 221.; Duquesne Chapter, R. A. M.; Mount Moriah Council, R. & S. M., and Pittsburg Commandery, No. 1, Knights Templar, and Pennsylvania Consistory of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite.
JOHN L. BELL, dealer in a general line of hardware, stoves, tinware, farm implements, wagons and buggies. He opened the trade in the spring of 1867 with a stock of $1,000, and now carries a stock of $15,000. He is also a member of the Western Hardware House, Ellsworth, and employs six men. He was born in Monroe County, N. Y., in 1845, where he lived until coming to Kansas. Enlisted in 1861 in Company E, Twenty-seventh New York Volunteer Infantry, he participated in all the battles of his command, and was mustered out in 1863. In the fall of the same year he re-enlisted in Company L., Twenty-first New York Cavalry, participated in several battles and was mustered out in 1866. He came to Leavenworth, Kan., in 1866, and followed the tinsmith trade for some time. Then he came to Ellsworth, and was married in 1870 to Miss Emma Gilbert of Miles, Mich. They have two children -- Charles E., and John L. Jr. He was Township Treasurer from 1869 to 1873, City Treasurer four years, County Treasurer two years, City Councilman two years, member of Ellsworth Lodge No. 146, Ellsworth Chapter, and Askelon Commandery Salina A. F. & A. M.
J. H. CLARK, proprietor of the Golden Belt Elevator, and dealer in all kinds of grain. He erected the Golden Belt Elevator in 1878, at a cost of $3,000. The size of the building is 22x40 feet, the capacity 15,000 bushels. He handled from 30 to 40 carloads of grain per week during the business season of 1882. He also deals in coal. He first located in Ellsworth in 1875 and engaged in the present business, having bought and shipped the first grain in Ellsworth in the fall of 1875. He was born in Western Virginia 1826. His parents moved to Ohio in 1834, settling in Newark, where he was raised. He first set out to farming in life, afterward in merchandising; first in Newark, Ohio, thence to Kansas City, Mo., where for sixteen years he followed the latter business, thence to Ellsworth. Married in 1866 to Miss Mattie E. Smith, of Springfield, Ohio. He was elected Mayor of Ellsworth in the spring of 1882. He has been a member of the School Board since he has been in Ellsworth.
A. H. EVANS, Probate Judge. He located in the above place in October, 1875. He began farming in the following spring and continued the same occupation until the fall of 1879, when he was appointed Probate Judge to fill a vacancy. He was elected to the same office in November 1880. He was born in Owen County, Ind., December 25, 1818. He enlisted in November 1861 in Company E. Second Indiana Cavalry, was promoted to First Lieutenant, and afterward to Captain of his Company, participated in all the battles of his command, until he resigned in July 1862. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of the I. O. O. F. of his native State. Married in 1866 to Miss Martha Munger of North Madison, Conn. They have two daughters and a son--Fannie M., Esther N., and Jesse M.
J. H. FOSTER, of the firm of J. H. Foster & Co., proprietors Ellsworth City Flouring Mills and Elevator. The Mills were erected in 1876, at a cost of $12,000. Size 32x44, four stories high; capacity, 75 barrels in twenty-four hours. The elevator is 21x50 feet; 33 feet high; capacity 20,000 bushels. It was erected in 1882, at the cost of $3,000. All built of stone. They employ six men. J. H. Foster came to Kansas in September 1876 and began the above business. He was born in Perry county, Pa. in 1834. His parents removed to Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1837, where he was raised on a farm. When he first set out in business, he followed merchandising for six years; then milling. He was married in 1861 to Miss Harriet E. Sharon of Pennsylvania. They have four children-- Frank S., William H., Carrie M., and Herbert E. His wife died in 1878. He was agin married in 1880, to Miss Harriet E. Yarger of Pennsylvania. He has held several city offices in Ellsworth.
D. H. FRAKER, dealer in a general line of groceries, provisions, crockery, glass and queensware, and farmers' produce. He began trade in February 1880, and carries a stock of $3,000. He occupies rooms 22x70 feet. In 1868 he made a trip West to Illinois and Missouri, and returned to Pennsylvania in 1870, resuming business with his former employees, where he remained until removal to Kansas in April 1872, He came to Wilson, Kan., in April 1872, where he clerked in a store until May 1874; was raised and educated in his native place, and farmed until 1866; clerked in his native place for some time and then came to Kansas. He was married in December 1880 to Miss Mary S. Maberly, a native of England. They have one daughter -- Eva May. He is a member of Ellsworth Lodge No. 109, I. O. O. F.
JOHN GETTY, of the firm of J. Getty & Co., proprietors of the Getty and Larkin Steam Flouring Mills and Elevator. The erection of the mills was competed in January 1880, and the elevator in 1882. The mills are 40x50 feet, three stories and basement; capacity 120 barrels in twenty-four hours; erected at a cost of $20,000. The elevator is 25x5 feet and 34 feet high; capacity 30,000 bushels; cost $3,500; all built of stone. They employ ten men. Mr. Getty located in Ellsworth in 1878 and engaged in the hardware business until he became interested in milling. He was born in Martinsburg, Blair Co., Pa., in 1841, and was raised and educated in his native State. He located in Oswego, Kan., in 1870, where he followed merchandising until 1874. He engaged in milling at Rossville, Kan., until he came to Ellsworth. Entered the service in 1862 in Company E, One Hundred and Thirty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry as First Lieutenant. He resigned after two years service. Married in 1871 to Miss Carrie Orwig, a native of Pennsylvania, they have two children-- Sarah C. and John.
H. F. HOESMAN, dealer in hardware, farm implements, etc., opened trade in the spring of 1867, under the firm name of the Western Hardware House, carrying a general stock of $10,000. He was born in Auglaize County, Ohio, in 1841. Lived in his native State until 1861, when he enlisted in Company D, Thirty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Promoted to Captain of his Company. Participated in all the battles of his command and was mustered out in April 26, 1866. He enlisted July 3, 1861, came to Ellsworth, Kan., in 1867. He is a member of the G. A. R. of Terre Haute, Ind. He was president of Ellsworth City Council in 1868, County Clerk in 1869-70. Representative of his county in the Kansas Legislature in 1872-73, was Township Trustee and Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners three years, Under-Sheriff in 1868, Deputy United States Marshal in same year. Justice of the Peace in 1870. He was the first Master of the Ellsworth Lodge No. 146, A.,F. & A. M., and for several years. He is also a member of Ellsworth Chapter U. D. and Askelon Commandery Salina.
Z. JACKSON, postmaster, was born in Erie Count, Pa., in 1831; moved to Knox County, Ill., in 1839, when a boy nine years old; was raised on a farm; taught school; bought out a store and commenced merchandising at Cambridge, Ill., in 1851; built a steam flouring-mill in that town in 1853; went to Washington County, Neb., in 1854; published the Desoto Pilot in 1857-58, and also speculated in real estate; went to Pike's Peak in 1859; there became one of the incorporators of a mountain toll road; was a member of the Legislature under the old "Provisional Government," in 1860; returned to Nebraska and enlisted in the army, in 1862, in Company B, Second Nebraska Cavalry; re-enlisted in the First Battalion Nebraska Veteran Cavalry, and was mustered as Captain of his Company in February, 1864. Was in the Indian service on the Upper Missouri River in 1862-63, was mustered out at the close of the war, in 1865, and came to Kansas the same year. Made the first location at Junction City, Kan., and built a mouse there in 1866. Went to Mitchell County, in Solomon Valley, the same year, and built the first log cabin in that county, but soon abandoned it and returned to Junction City. First came to Ellsworth County in June, 1867, locating at Fort Harker, where he engaged in the produce, vegetable and fruit business until the spring of 1869, then farmed two years in connection with the dairy business. He then followed general merchandising at the Fort in partnership with A. Larkin, eighteen months; moved the store to Ellsworth in 1872 and continued in the business three years longer. Was a member of the Kansas Legislature in 1868-69; was County Commissioner in 1871-72. He was appointed postmaster in 1874, holding the office ever since. Has always had a farm. He stands firmly "on deck," taking no thought of the "undiscovered country."
DR. E. R. LANG, physician and surgeon, came to Ellsworth in August, 1881, where he has since continued the practice of medicine. He was born in Knox County, Ohio, February 6, 1848. Educated at Kenyon College, Ohio. Graduated from the medical department of Worcester University of Cleveland, Ohio, 1871. He began the practice of medicine in Marinette, Wis., where he remained six years. He then went to Ottumwa, Iowa, and practiced two years; thence to Ellsworth, Kan. He is now United States Penson Examining Surgeon for Central Kansas. Elected County Coroner in the fall of 1881. He is a member of Masonic Order, I. O. O. F., and Knights of Pythias. Was married June 4, 1873, to Miss Agnes Smith, of Fond du Lac, Wis. They have one daughter -- Marion E. His wife died in March, 1877.
ARHTUR LARKIN, merchant, was born in the city of Dublin, Ireland, on the 20th day of August, 1832. He was the third child born to Thomas and Ann Larkin. His early education was received at a Seminary on Wicklow Street, Dublin, under the charge of Mr. William Stapleton, who, prior to the establishment of the Seminary, had been one of the faculty of Trinity College, Dublin. His father was a coal merchant and Arthur, while yet a boy, assisted his father in his business by attending to his collections. When sixteen years old, seized with a desire to try his fortune in the New World, he left Dublin and proceeded to Liverpool, where, on the 6th day of July 1848, he engaged passage on a sailing vessel bound for New York, and arrived at the latter city in July. Shortly after his arrival he hired to a farmer residing at Cranberry Neck, N. J., for whom he went to work. After trying farming for about a year, he enlisted in the regular army and served as a Texas Ranger during two terms of service under Captain Ford, and was discharged at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., in 1861. After leaving the service he married Miss Alice Baird, in Leavenworth, who was a native of Indiana. By this marriage six children have been born to him, three of whom are dead and three yet living, and all born at Ellsworth, Kan. Thomas, the eldest, was born November 20, 1869, and died April 18, 1870. Arthur, the oldest now living, was born February 28, 1871. Mary Ann, born September 21, 1873; died October 22, 1873. Francis, born June 25, 1875. Eddie, born October 13, 1878; died January 4, 1881. Hubert F., born February 6, 1880. Quitting the army, Mr. Larkin engaged in the restaurant business at Leavenworth, and while thus engaged, he fitted up a wagon train and made a freighting trip to Denver and back. In the fall of 1866 he left Leavenworth and moved to Junction City, where he re-established himself in the restaurant business and continued freighting from there to the end of the Kansas Pacific Railway, which was then at Salina. In the spring of 1867, he moved from Junction City to Ellsworth, where he built and opened the first hotel in that town. In the latter part of 1868, he embarked in the mercantile business, opening up with a line of dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, hats and caps. Since then he has established a store at Lincoln Center, and another at Little River, in Rice County. In company with Mr. Getty, he built a large flouring-mill at Ellsworth, in which he still has a half interest. He also deals quite extensively in live-stock, and superintends the working of two large farms, which he owns in the vicinity of Ellsworth. This great accumulation of wealth in the short space of twenty years, is the result of hard work, energy, industry and economy.
IRA E. LLOYD, of the law firm of Lloyd & Evans, was born in De Kalb County, Ill., in May 25, 1850. Self-educated; began study of law in 1868; admitted to the bar at Emmetsburg, Iowa, in 1872, where he commenced practice. Came to Ellsworth, Kan., in 1873; held office of County Attorney in 1875-76-77-78. In the spring of 1879 formed partnership with C. J. Evans, in the practice of law, and in the real estate, insurance and collection business. In 1878 he married Miss Etta Huntington, a native of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the I. O. O. F.
R. R. LYONS, County Clerk and County Attorney, first located in Ellsworth, June 8, 1878, where he engaged in the practice of law. Was elected to the present office in the fall of 1880. He was born in West Elizabeth, Washington County, Pa., in 1852, and was educated at the Iowa Wesleyan University of Mount Pleasant, Iowa, graduating in 1872. Was admitted to the bar of practice at Keosauqua, Iowa, in 1875. He began the study of law in 1873; began practice at Ellsworth, being admitted by motion in 1878. He was married in 1876 to Mrs. Mary E. Lusk, formerly Gebhardt, of Keosauqua, Iowa. They have two children-- Esther B. and Florence W. He is a member of Ellsworth Lodge, No. 146, and High Priest of Chapter R. A. U. D., A.,F. & A. M.