|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - EUDORA TOWNSHIP.
J. R. Allen, Jr., farmer, Section 30, P. O. Eudora. Born in Monmouth, N. J., December 14, 1832, son of Joseph R. Allen and Anna Richardson, where he grew up, and in 1852 moved to Iowa, and in 1856 came to Kansas and settled in Grant Township. In 1865, he purchased his present farm of 120 acres in Eudora. He was an active Free-State man, and endured the hardships of the border troubles. He was married in Newton, Iowa, May 28, 1857, to Emma, daughter of Thomas Pearson and Rhoda Rogers. They have five children - Jennie S., born July 22, 1858; James T., born December 16, 1863; Elmer F., born August 20, 1866; Edwin C., born January 26, 1871; Bertha G., born November 12, 1874. Mrs. Allen is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ANDERSON, Jr., farmer, Section 26, P. O. Eudora. Born in Nairnshire, Scotland, March 14, 1832; son of John Anderson and Isabella Henderson; emigrated to Canada, in 1856, where he remained twelve years, and then came to the United States and settled in Eudora Township, Kan., where he has since resided. He owns a farm containing 160 acres, improved. He was married in Auldearn, Scotland, December 23, 1859, to Miss Justina D., daughter of John McIntosh and Margaret Simpson. They have five children - Margaret, born March 2, 1861; Isabella, born October 23, 1863; Lizzie, born March 23, 1865; Justina, born December 23, 1867; Mariann, born June 7, 1869. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are members of the Presbyterian Church.
E. A. BENEFILED, farmer, Section 27, P. O. Lawrence. Settled on present place in August, 1882. There are 127 acres in the home farm, devoted to mixed farming. Mr. Benefield was born in Hamilton County, Ind., December 13, 1855. He was educated in his native county, and then learned harness-making as a trade. In 1869, he settled in Neosho County, Kan., where he operated the engine in a saw mill about three years, and then engaged in farming in that county until 1879, when he moved to Douglas County, following the same business. He was married in Douglas County, December 25, 1879, to Miss Emma Coseboom, an adopted daughter of N. D. Howland and wife. Noah D. Howland (deceased), was born in Fall River, Mass., November 2, 1823. Engaged in blacksmithing and farming until 1854, when he joined the "first party" of the Emigrant Aid Society, and pre-empted the farm now occupied by E. A. Benefield. Mr. Howland was married in Lawrence, in 1855, to Miss Mary T., daughter of P. D. Jones, Esq.
C. N. BISHOFF, physician and surgeon, Eudora, was born in Dauphin County, Penn., June 4, 1838. He was educated at Union Seminary, New Berlin, Union Co., Penn. Engaged in the woolen manufacturing business from a boy. In 1862, he enlisted in the Union army in Company C, One Hundred and Seventy-seventh Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, on a nine months' call. On the expiration of term of enlistment, he returned home and resumed his connection with the woolen mills in the summer season, teaching school in the winter. He commenced his professional studies in 1868. During 1870-71, he attended lectures at the Eclectic Medical College of Pennsylvania, graduating in the latter year. He began practice immediately. In 1873, he opened a drug store in Lykens, Penn., continuing his practice at the same time. In 1877, he moved to Kansas, and settled on his present location. He was married in Dauphin County, Penn., December 24, 1863, to Miss Mary M. Bauman, of Ephrata, Lancaster Co., Penn. They have four children - Cora L., Mark L., Minnie M. and Roger W. Dr. Bishoff is a member of the Eclectic Medical Association of Kansas, and of the I. O. O. F., and A., F. & A. M.
JOHN L. BRENDER, blacksmith and wagon-maker, and dealer in heavy and shelf hardware, agricultural implements, buggies and farm wagons, etc., Eudora. The blacksmithing and wagon-making department was established in 1857, the first in town. They now employ five hands in the shop. In 1882, he erected a frame building, 50x25 feet, two stories high, which he devoted to the hardware and implement department. Mr. John L. Brender was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, October 2, 1830, in the town of Giengen, Oberabt Heidenheim, on the River Branz, where he learned the blacksmith trade, commencing at the age of fourteen years. He left his native country and landed in New York City in 1851. The following year, he started for Pittsburgh, Penn. In 1854, he started for Chicago, Ill. In 1857, he left Chicago and settled in Eudora, Kan., and became a member of the town company. July 26, 1858, he married Miss Cornelia Morse, who was born May 29, 1842. They had three children; lost one; two are living - Fred and Almira. His wife died April 4, 1866. During the war, he was a member of the State militia. December 25, 1867, he was married again, to Miss Nancy Ellen Shirley, a native of Missouri. They have four children - all living - Ida, Maria, George and John. He now lives on a farm adjoining town. Mr. Brender belongs to the German M. E. Church, and is a member of Eudora Lodge, No. 42, I. O. O. F.
GEORGE BRECHEISEN, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Eudora. Born in Eudora, Kan., October 20, 1857; son of Peter and Wilmina (Vitt) Brecheisen, where he has ever since resided. He owns a farm of 368 acres, improved. He has always lived on a farm, and was educated in the common schools. Mr. B. was married in Palmyra Township, March 9, 1880, to Miss Mary A., daughter of Nicholas Weil and Annie M. Meyer. They have two children - George A., born January 12, 1881; Herbert, born October 25, 1882. Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of the Evangelical Association Church.
S. V. CARR, agent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, and of Wells, Fargo & Company's Express, Eudora, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, November 29, 1857. His parents settled in Eudora in 1866, where he received his schooling. He commenced studying telegraphy in 1876. May 12, of the same year, he took a position in the general office of the St. L., L. & W., R. R., at Lawrence. Afterward was appointed agent and operator at Stanley. Returned to Lawrence August 16, 1876, and resigned October 11. First became connected with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad April 10, 1877, as night operator at West Las Animas, Colo., retaining this position until August. He was then transferred to Eudora, where he remained until November 5, 1881. He then took a position as cashier of the Wells, Fargo & Co., and Denver & Rio Grande Express Companies, at Pueblo, Colo. February 1, 1882, he was appointed agent of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad at Rockvale, Colo. May 15, 1882, he took his present position. He was married in Husted, Colo., April 27, 1880, to Miss Agnes M. Lovelace, of Husted. They have one child - Leslie L. V.
THEOPHILUS H. COLE, farmer, Section 31, P. O. Eudora. Born in Portsmouth, Ohio, January 30, 1847. Is a son of Jesse Cole and Harriet Barret. Came to Kansas with his parents, in 1862, and has since resided in the State. He was called out in the State Militia, and participated in the engagement at the Little Blue with the Confederate forces under Sterling Price. He was united in marriage in Baldwin City, Kan., March 9, 1881, to Miss Mary A., daughter of T. H. Conner and Mary A. McClellen.
THOMAS H. CONNER, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Eudora. Born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, December 26, 1834. Son of John Conner and Mary Robinson. He came to the United States in 1853, and settled in Kane County, Ill., where he remained three years, and then came to Kansas; settled in Willow Springs, and in 1872 purchased a farm in Eudora Township, where he has since resided; owns a quarter section, well improved. He was married in Willow Springs, March 15, 1860, to Miss Mary A. Daughter of Robert McClellen and Agnes McWhitter. They have three children - Mary A., born November 10, 1861, wife of T. H. Cole; Charles A., born March 7, 1864; Addison M., born December 3, 1866. Mr. C. is a member of the M. E. Church, and also of Eudora Lodge, No. 42, I. O. O. F.
S. H. DAVIS, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Hesper, was born in Randolph county, N. C., March 20, 1848. His father died in 1858. In 1861, his mother moved to Indiana, and the following year settled in Douglas County, Kan. He received a preliminary education in the public schools, and then entered the State Normal School at Emporia, graduating in 1872. While pursuing his studies, he also taught school; in 1870, having a school in Wyandotte County, Kan., and also had schools in Grant Township, Douglas County. Then held the position of Principal of the Eudora School. He has since been engaged in teaching in addition to operating his farm. This consists of eighty acres devoted to grain and stock. He was married in Hesper, Douglas Co., Kan., in 1877, to Miss Emma Stubbs. They have three children - Lena M., Mary A. and Homer W. Mr. D is a member of the Society of Friends, and is also a member of Doric Lodge, No. 83, A., F. & A. M.
C. DURR, proprietor Eudora Mills, was born in Colbert, Prussia, Germany, July 10, 1821; he emigrated to the United States in the spring of 1852, and located in New York City. At the age of thirteen years, he was apprenticed to the trade of cabinet-making and carpentering, and added to this millwrighting. He followed these trades in the old country. In New York City and in Chicago, where he moved in 1854, he followed carpentering and building. In 1857, he moved to Kansas, and settled in Eudora, and may be said to have founded that town; he at first established a saw-mill, adding to it at times until the business reached the present proportions. Mr. Durr was married in Eudora, July 10, 1868, to Miss Henrietta Zinnecke, a native of Germany. They have six children living - Alfred, Carl, Berthold, Thekla, Alma and Waldo. He is at present Mayor of the town. Has been a member of the School Board many years.
GARDNER, HILL & CO., dealers in general merchandise, Eudora; the firm is composed of P. Gardner, A. L. Hill and W. Davis. The business was established January 1, 1880. They carry a stock of about $6,000. A. L. Hill, of the above firm, was born in Guilford County, N. C. He received a partial education in his native county, finishing his studies at Earlham College, Richmond, Ind. His parents settled in Douglas County, Kan., in the spring of 1864, and here A. L. engaged in teaching and farming. From 1876 to 1878, he was engaged in teaching Indian schools on the Kickapoo Reservation, in Brown County, Kan. Then returned to Douglas County and engaged in farming until present business was established. Mr. Hill is a member of the Society of Friends.
C. O. GAUSE, physician and surgeon, Hesper, was born in Preble County, Ohio, November 26, 1830. His parents removed to Indiana when he was very young, where he received his preliminary education; commenced his professional studies in 1848, under Dr. Cochran, of Spiceland, Ind. Then attended lectures in 1851 and 1852, at Ann Arbor, Mich. Commenced his professional practice at Spiceland, Ind., in 1852. Removed to Lynnville, Iowa, in 1855, where he followed his profession until 1860, when he removed to Miami County, Kan., and commenced practice, moving to Osawatomie in 1864. In 1866, he was appointed Superintendent of the Insane Asylum, a position he retained until 1872, when he removed to Hesper, where he has since engaged in practice, except during the years 1877 and 1878, during which time he was physician to the Sac and Fox Indians. Dr. Gause was married in Spiceland, Ind., in 1852, to Miss Sarah A. Hodson, who died leaving one child - Casper W. He was married to his present wife in Lynnville, Jasper Co., Iowa, in 1857; she was Miss Levisa W. Butler; they have one child - Emily J. Dr. G. is a member of the Society of Friends, and of the State Medical Society.
JOHN GILMORE, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Lawrence, born in Livingston County, N. Y., November 27, 1833; son of James and Mary (Green) Gilmore; there he resided until 1857, when he came to this State and settled in Lawrence; in 1862, he moved to Eudora Township, where he owns 800 acres, improved. Mr. G. was united in marriage in Tippecanoe County, Ind., April 3, 1856, to Miss Susan C., daughter of John Widell. They have five children - Annie O., born November 15, 1857; Solon T., born April 14, 1862; Mary C., born July 18, 1860; Josephine, born January 18, 1866; Nydia, born December 29, 1867. Mr. G. is one of the enterprising farmers of Kansas, having several tenants on his large farm, whom he keeps employed. Mr. G. is a member of the M. E. Church.
WALKER HARRIS; farmer, Section 12, P. O. Eudora; born in Louisa County, Va., September, 1831; was taken to Kentucky when a child; came to Kansas in 1864, and settled in Eudora Township; works 80 acres. He has been twice married; in Missouri, to Rebecca Lee, who died in May, 1870; in Lawrence, 1879, to Alice Cresey. His children are - Charles, Janalls, Ebocy, Peter, Jesse, Richard, Samuel and Eliza. Member of Second Baptist Church in Lawrence.
DR. R. S. HITTELL, M. D., was born in Lehigh County, Penn., near Allentown, December 7, 1849. He received his preliminary education at Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Penn., and commenced the study of medicine in 1866. From 1867 to 1868, he attended the Bellevue Hospital College, New York. He graduated in 1870 from the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia, and the same year accepted an appointment as Assistant Surgeon in the German Army. He continued in this service until the close of the Franco-Prussian war. He returned to the United States and held for a time a position as Surgeon on the Black Ball Line. He then settled at Gibsonburg, in Sandusky County, Ohio, where he continued to practice until 1880. In that year he moved to Kansas City, Mo., and the following year settled at Eudora. Dr. H. is a member of the A., F. & A. M., I. O. O. F., K. of H. and A. O. U. W.
WILLIAM KOHLER, farmer, Section 28, P. O. Hesper, settled on his present place in 1882. The farm consists of 175 acres, 140 of which is at present under cultivation. Grain is at present his principal crop, though his intentions are to work into stock. He was born in York County, Penn., March 31, 1831. His principal occupation in his native State was farming, though for some years he held a position as foreman in the iron interests. In 1879, he removed to Kansas and located in Douglas County. In 1881, he removed to Riley County, selling his farm there the following year and returning to Douglas County. He was married in York County, Penn., in 1852, to Miss Hoffman. They have six children living - Elcetta, now Mrs. J. A. Willett; Mary A., now Mrs. T. L. Dougherty; John G., Andrew J., Herman M. and Devaux R.
FREDERICK A. LICHTFERS, farmer, Section 35, P. O. Lawrence, was born in Neuwied, Prussia, September 5, 1820, son of William Lichtfers and Sibylla Kuepper. He came to the United States in 1849, and after visiting various points, settled in Detroit, Mich. He came to Kansas in 1856, and settled in Eudora Township. Owns 240 acres, improved; keeps stock as his principal business. He is a successful farmer, and by his industry and economy has acquired a good property. He was married, in Lawrence, Kan., September 30, 1858, to Miss Anna C., daughter of Henry Stevens and Anna L. Weber. They have eleven children - George M., born March 13, 1860; Charles, August 20, 1861; Louis, February 6, 1863; Mary E., May 20, 1864; Gertrude, October 31, 1865; Emma, September 16, 1868; Josephine, April 25, 1870; Anna, February 12, 1876; Frederick, August 9, 1877; Nettie, April 11, 1879, and Henry, January 1, 1881. Built his house in 1881, at a cost of $1,200.
JOSEPH McCOY, Principal of the schools, Eudora, was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, January 30, 1831. He received his first schooling in his native county, and then entered the Normal Academy at West Bedford, taking the full course, and receiving first-class testimonials of same from the Principal (they did not grant diplomas) in 1856. He then commenced teaching, and continued actively engaged in his profession, in various posts in Ohio, until 1876. He then moved to Peabody, Marion Co., Kan., where he taught three sessions. Since then has had charge as Principal of the Public Schools at Parkville, Mo., and about a year later took his present charge. Mr. McCoy was married, in Cochocton County, Ohio, October 200, 1859, to Miss N. Power, of that county. They have three children - Ida, James and Carl Schurz.
CHARLES PILLA, Postmaster, and dealer in general merchandise, Eudora. Was appointed Postmaster in 1871, and has held the office continuously since. The mercantile business was established in 1862 by F. L. Pilla. In 1865, it was changed to Pilla Bros. This continued until the death of F. L. Pilla, in 1871; since that time Charles Pilla has been alone in business. The business now occupies two floors in a building 25x96 feet in area, the stock averaging from $15,000 to $20,000. Mr. Pilla also deals in agricultural implements, employing in all nine men. Mr. Pilla was born in Rhenish Bavaria, February 19, 1830. He was educated in his native place, and emigrated to the United States in 1849. He learned the dyeing trade in the old country, but did not follow it in the United States. He settled in New York City, where he engaged in clerking for a time, and then engaged with Walker & Sons, bookbinders, with whom he continued until 1865, when he removed to Kansas, settling at once at Eudora. He was married in Factoryville, Staten Island, September 10, 1865, to Miss Alice B. Smith, of Factoryville, Staten Island, N. Y. They have four children - Alvina, Louisa, Malvia and Charles. He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. He has been connected with the School Board for many years. Is also a member of Eudora Lodge, No. 42, I. O. O. F., and Doric Lodge, No. 83, A., F. & A. M.
HON. OSCAR G. RICHARDS, lawyer, insurance and real estate, Eudora. Business was established in 1869. He represents the Home of New York, Springfield of Massachusetts, Phoenix of Hartford, and American Central of Burlington, Iowa. Mr. Richards was born in Napoleon, Jackson Co., Mich., January 12, 1836. He received a limited education in the schools, which he afterward improved by diligent application. He was raised on a farm in Livingston County, Ill. At the age of twenty, he joined Gen. Lane's forces as they went through Illinois, under Capt. William Strawn. With this hardy, independent band of pioneers, he went to Kansas from Illinois, passing through Iowa and Nebraska, and west of the then settlements in Kansas, to Topeka, on what was known as Lane's road. Mr. Richards drove the first team on the laying out of that road, and planted the first stakes. In this patriotic band were such as Capt. Scrambey, of Ohio, Capt. Cutler, of Massachusetts, and old John Brown, of Harper's Ferry fame. Mr. Richards was with the party that besieged Fort Titus, Fort Saunders and Lecompton. Was at Black Jack when Clay Pate surrendered to old John Brown. Was at Bull Creek when Gene. Lane drove Reid out of the Territory, and at Lawrence when it was besieged by 2,700 Pro-slavery men, at the time that Gov. Geary went to the rescue. On the restoration of peace, after what was known as the border ruffian war, Mr. Richards went west to near Manhattan, where he took a claim, which he improved and cultivated, and finally sold in 1857, and removed to Douglas County, on what was known as the Shawnee Absentee Lands, where a party of twenty-seven emigrants, including a number of relatives who came out from Illinois with him in the spring of 1857, had settled. Here he remained ten years, engaged in farming and studying law, as he could procure books and find time. At the age of thirty, he applied himself very closely to the study of his profession, and was admitted to the bar in Douglas County in 1860. He then settled in Eudora. He was married, January 8, 1857, to Miss Martha Granger, of Livingston County, Ill., who died, leaving two children - Jessie, now Mrs. Harmer, of Wisconsin and Franklin. He was married, in Eudora June 12, 1865, to Miss Sophia D. Mulsow. They have four children - Charles, Hattie, Euretta and Mabel. Mr. R. was elected, in 1878, a member of the Kansas House of Representatives, from Douglas County. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace of Eudora several terms. He is P. M. of Doric Lodge, No. 83, A., F. & A. M., and is P. G. of Eudora Lodge, No. 42, I. O. O. F.
SINO STANLEY, farmer, Section 36, P. O. Eudora. Born in Buchanan County, Mo., August 12, 1841, son of Joseph Stanley and Lydia Vilderbach. Came to Kansas in 1857; settled in Doniphan County. Enlisted August, 1861, in Company A, Seventh Regiment Kansas Cavalry, and was discharged October 5, 1865. Married in Leavenworth, Kan., May 29, 1876, to Mrs. Rebecca Eaton, widow of Alvin C. Eaton, and daughter of Isaac Blond and Mary Sanderson. The children are Ella Eaton, born December 22, 1864; Harry Eaton, born January 26, 1867; Florence M., born February 24, 1877. Mrs. Stanley is a native of Ohio; she owns 141 « acres of rich bottom land, 100 of which is under the plow. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
SWAIN & CO., proprietors Magnolia Mills, Eud ra (sic); succeeded C. Durr February 1, 1883. The firm is composed of R. D. Swain, E. A. Swain and W. A. Dugane, E. A. Swain being the managing partner. They have changed the mills to the roller process, and do a merchant business almost exclusively. R. D. Swain, of above firm, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, August 13, 1844. He was educated in his native city. About the age of sixteen years, he engaged in sailing on the lakes, following this profession until 1867, the latter years having command of vessels in the grain and iron ore trade. In 1867, he engaged in ship chandlery and vessel supply business in Cleveland, under firm name of B. Swain & Sons, continuing in this until 1878. He then settled in Douglas County, Kan., where he bought a farm. The following year, he became connected with the Western Paint and Oil Company, of Kansas City, Mo., though retaining his residence in Douglas County until the spring of 1883, when he moved to Kansas City.
JOHN WEAVER, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Eudora. The home farm contains 330 acres, 300 acres being under cultivation. The crop of 1883 will consist of 140 acres of wheat, and the same amount in corn. Has also in charge between 700 and 800 acres of his father's most of it being rented. Henry Weaver came to the State in 1857, and made his first land purchases, settling here with the family, in 1865. He continued to reside here till 1883, when he returned East. Two brothers now reside in Salina, Saline County. John Weaver was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, December 31, 1848. He was educated in his native county, and from there came to Kansas with the family in 1865. Has since been engaged in farming, for some years teaching school in winter. He was married, in Salina, Kan., December 31, 1877, to Miss Australia Speaks, daughter of William Speaks, one of the early settlers in that part of the State. They have two children - William H. and Jennie M. Mr. W. is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and of the I. O. O. F.
JOSEPH A. WEST, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Lawrence; born in County Kerry, Ireland, August 14, 1848; son of John West and Amelia J. Jibou. He came to the United States in 1853. Settled near Ypsilanti, Mich., where he remained until 1857, when he came to this State, and settled in Eudora Township; owns 320 acres, all improved. During the season, he makes a business of threshing grain. Enlisted September 1, 1862, in Company G, Twelfth Regiment Kansas Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged July 15, 1865. He was married in Baldwin City, Kan., March 9, 1881, to Miss Isabel, daughter of John Anderson and Justina McIntosh; they have one child, Blanch, born June 30, 1882. Mr. West is a member of Eudora Lodge, A., F. & A. M.
CHARLES L. WILBUR, farmer, Section 19, P. O. Hesper; born in Saratoga, N. Y., August 7, 1830 (son of Thomas Wilber and Sarah A. Townsend), where he grew to manhood, and in 1853 he moved to Albany, N. Y., where for fifteen years he was engaged in the flour, coal and wood business. In 1858, he came to Kansas; settled on a farm containing 240 acres in Eudora Township, here he has since resided. Mr. W. was married in Albany, N. Y., February 28, 1854, to Miss Charlotte, daughter of John Pemberton and Clarissa Henry. They have had ten children - Emily T., born December 12, 1854; Thomas W., born October 1, 1856; Clara H., born March 22, 1858; John P., born December 22, 1859; Elias G., born July 28, 1862, died January 31, 1863; Charles L., born December 5, 1863, died November 15, 1866; Charlotte, born December 7, 1866; Mary B., born December 2, 1867, died April 16, 1874; Samuel T., born September 14, 1870; Elizabeth G., born January 13, 1883. Mr. W. is a member of the Society of Friends.