|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
Lecompton, formerly the headquarters of the Pro-slavery party in the territory, is located on the Kansas River, in the northwestern part of Douglas County, fifteen miles east of Topeka. Along the river, the country, which is somewhat hilly, is covered with timber; southward lies a beautifully undulating fruit and farm region. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad was built through Lecompton in 1872.
The first settlements made in the vicinity of Lecompton were in 1854, by A. W. & A. G. Glenn, father and son; G. W. Zinn, David Martin, M. S. Winter and William Shirley. In 1855, Moses McCall, Maj. Lyman Evans and others came to this part of the county, and, in 1856, William Leamer, William M. Nace, William Smith, William Christian and Hugh S. Walsh.
The Lecompton Town Company was organized at the Pottawatomie Agency, and consisted of Samuel D. Lecompte, President; John A. Halderman, Secretary; Daniel Woodson, Treasurer; George W. Clark, Chauncey B. Donaldson and William R. Simmons. In the spring of 1855, the town company held its meetings in Westport, Mo., and on May 14, 1855, the officers reported to the company that D. H. Harting had surveyed the town site, consisting of 600 acres, and had laid out the principal streets and blocks. It was the design and expectation to make Lecompton, not only the capital of the territory and future State, but to make it a large city as well. The first house built on the town site was a log one, by W. R. Simmons, in the fall of 1854. The first store was opened by John K. Shepherdson in the spring of 1856; he continued the business but a short time when William Leamer purchased his stock of goods, and has ever since continued the business. James G. Bailey opened a store about the same time.
In 1855, the Territorial Legislature commenced the erection of a capitol building in the east part of the town, on an eminence overlooking the town to the westward, and to the northward, the Kansas River valley, about a mile wide and very picturesque. It was to have been a large stone building, and had it been completed, would have cost half a million of dollars, provided Congress could have been influenced to continue to appropriate until the building was completed, judging from the manner in which the $50,000 appropriated was expended. This appropriation was exhausted when the basement was completed and the walls up nearly to the height of one story. Work upon it was then discontinued, and the structure as it stood afterward converted into a fort. Ten acres of land had been donated by the town company to the Territory for the capitol grounds.
While this building was in course of erection, the Territorial Government, desiring to remove from the Shawnee Mission to Lecompton, which had become the capital of the Territory, engaged William M. Nace to erect a suitable building in which to hold their sessions, agreeing to pay therefore, as rent, $1,000 in case the building could be occupied by them for forty days. Mr. Nace undertook and fulfilled the contract. The building stood on the site of the present post office. Subsequently, the Legislature assembled in a two-story frame building, which stood across Elmore street east from the Rowena Hotel, and which was known as Rowena Hall. After the Free-State party acquired the ascendancy, the Legislature, though convening at Lecompton as the law required, adjourned to Lawrence each year thereafter, until the Territory became a State. A large frame hotel, named the American Hotel, was built in the spring of 1856; in the fall, the National Hotel was built, and in 1857, the Rowena. This latter hotel was a large three-story stone building, erected by a company, and is the only one of the three now standing.
The first physician to locate in Lecompton was Dr. Aristides Roderigue, who was also the first Postmaster, the post office having been established in the winter of 1855-56. The first birth in the town was that of Lecompton Marks, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marks; the first marriage was that of Thomas Watson to Miss Barbara Coulter, in the spring of 1855, and about the same time the first death occurred, that of John Martin.
Authority to establish a ferry across the Kansas River at Lecompton was granted by the bogus Legislature, some time during the year 1855, to William K. Simmons, Wesley Garrett and Evan Todhunter, said right being conferred upon them for a period of five years. The same Legislature also incorporated the Lecompton Bridge Company, with sixteen incorporators. No bridge was ever built by them from Lecompton to the opposite shore. The city of Lecompton was also incorporated, and the corporate limits thus uniquely defined: Commencing in the middle of the Kansas River, at a point which shall be designated by the surveyor now engaged in laying out and platting said town site; thence running in such manner as shall be designated by said surveyor throughout the entire limits of the town or city.
The same Legislature also incorporated and permanently established the Kansas Medical College, at Lecompton, and appointed a board of fourteen Trustees, among whom were G. W. Clark, who subsequently murdered Thomas Barber; the notorious Samuel J. Jones, Sheriff of Douglas County, and Daniel Woodson, who was Acting Governor of Kansas Territory during three separate periods. The college was not established.
Lecompton was designated by this Legislature as the county seat of Douglas County.
The second Territorial Legislature met at Lecompton January 12, 1857; the third Territorial Legislature met at Lecompton January 4, 1858, and the fourth January 3, 1859.
Lecompton, at the height of its prosperity, in 1857-58, was quite a flourishing town. It was the seat of government for the Territory, it had a number of large hotels, four church organizations, the United States Court and the land office; it was headquarters for stage lines to Kansas City, Leavenworth and St. Joseph, Mo., and contained a population of 1,000 or upward. Town lots were very high - those in the suburbs sold at $100 each, while those on Elmore, the principal street, sold for from $500 to $1,000 each. Upon the downfall of the slave power in the Territory, the progress of Lecompton was arrested, and a downward tendency was given to all her interests. Dwelling houses were removed, some to Lawrence, some to the country on to farms, others went to decay; fences fell down and sidewalks broke up; weeds and underbrush grew in the streets, the lots and the gardens; work upon church edifices and public buildings was suspended, the remains and ruins of which still stand as ghastly reminders of blasted hopes; the price of town lots fell, until those which had readily brought from $500 to $1,000, could be as readily bought for $25. The population diminished to about 300, what it is to-day. In 1881, a slight change for the better began to be experienced; quite a number of good, substantial frame houses were built and other improvements made. In 1882, the new university building was completed and dedicated, which doubtless in the future will be looked back to as one of the first steps in the second progress of the town, which has every prospect of permanence, being founded on correct principles, and to be sustained by the growth and prosperity of the State.
SCHOOLS, CHURCHES AND THE PRESS.
Lane University. - This institution of learning is under the auspices of the United Brethren Church. In January, 1865, the Rowena Hotel became their property, partly by purchase, partly by donation. The university was named after Gen. James H. Lane. The first Board of Trustees was composed of the following gentlemen: Solomon Weaver, President; Solomon Bower, F. B. Hill, W. A. Cardwell, H. M. Green, H. D. Healy, J. H. Bonebrake, D. K. Lawrence, Elmer M. Thornton, D. T. Mitchell and G. W. Zinn. Solomon Weaver was succeeded as President of the institution in 1866, by David Shuck, and he, in 1869, by N. B. Bartlett, who still retains the Presidency.
The institution has been in operation ever since its establishment, has had an annual attendance of from forty to seventy-five students of both sexes, and has a regular university course of instruction.
The ten acres of Territorial capitol grounds, together with the capitol building, were donated to the university in the year 1865, by the State. The church thereupon erected a two-story and basement building on the south half of the old unfinished capitol, completing it in the spring of 1882, and dedicating it on June 21, 1882, Bishop E. B. Kephart, of Toledo, Iowa, conducting the dedicatory services.
The Presbyterians effected an organization in 1857, and built a church in 1858. Rev. William Wilson, their first minister, was succeeded in 1872, by Rev. Irwin, who remained but a short time. The church was sold in 1881, to be used as a private residence.
The Southern Methodists organized and built a stone church in 1857. A few years afterward, the roof was blown off and one side fell down. The ruins - two ends and one side - still remain standing in the west part of the town.
In 1856, the Catholics organized and commenced the erection of a church and parsonage in the east part of the town. Both were to be of stone, but neither was completed, and the walls still remain as the masons left them, except as to the ravages made by time.
The United Brethren in Christ organized in 1858, with five members. Rev. W. A. Cardwell, who had gone to Big Springs as a missionary, in June, 1855, was the first preacher of this denomination in Lecompton, and though a Free-State man, preached to the bogus Legislature.
The first school taught in Lecompton was by W. B. Barnum, in 1858, in the church built by the southern Methodists. The present neat frame schoolhouse was built in 1879.
The Lecompton Union was established May 3, 1856, by A. W. Jones and C. A. Faris. It was a strong Pro-slavery paper. The following paragraph appears in this newspaper, in reference to the taking of Lawrence, May 21, 1856, under the following head lines: "Lawrence Taken! - Glorious Triumph of the Law-and-Order over Fanaticism in Kansas! - Full Particulars."
"On Tuesday, the 20th, a large force of the Law-and-Order men having gathered in and around Lecompton, the Marshal ordered the different camps to concentrate about two miles this side of Lawrence, so as to be ready for the execution of his immediate demands upon the people of Lawrence. At this order, we left our sanctum and proceeded to the encampment, equipped for the occasion."
The Kansas New Era was established at Lecompton September 26, 1865, by Solomon Weaver, G. C. Baker was foreman during the first year; J. N. Iliff was foreman from September 25, 1866, until December, 1867. On May 22, 1867, the paper was moved from Lecompton to Medina, Jefferson County, and subsequently to Valley Falls, where it became the Valley Falls New Era.
Big Springs is located in the northwestern part of Douglas County, in Lecompton Township, on rolling prairie. The town was so named became of the large ever-flowing springs in the immediate vicinity.
The first settlers here were William Harper and John Chamberlain, who came in the fall of 1854. Other early settlers were Messrs. Ephraim Banning, the two Custerds, Roberts, Wells, Eppuson, Lawson and Cardwell.
In 1855, the post office was established, and John Chamberlain appointed Postmaster. On June 10, 1855, the first sermon was preached by Rev. W. A. Cardwell, a United Brethren minister, in the log house of Ephraim Banning. This denomination built the first church in Big Springs in 1856, the society having been organized in July, 1855. The Catholics and Christians each organized a society in 1859.
A store was opened in 1855, by Webb & Carter.
The first child born here was probably Sarah S. Cardwell, August 4, 1856. The first marriage was that of Mr. Corbert, to Miss Sarah Ann Harper, in 1856, and the first death that of Mrs. Custerd.
The first school was taught by Thomas Clark, in a hall in the town in 1856.
One of the first temperance meetings in the Territory was held at Big Springs in 1856. Three barrels of whisky had been brought in from Missouri, and a saloon opened by Dr. Carter. A protest against selling the whisky was circulated and thirty signatures quickly obtained. This protest seems to have had little effect, as the next night, in order to suppress the traffic, forty men assembled in front of the dram shop and made a demand for the whisky. One barrel was rolled out on to a large pile of shavings, the head of the barrel was broken in, the match applied, and while the scene was illumined by the flames from the shavings and the obnoxious fluid, rousing temperance addresses were made by one speaker after another, mounted upon the empty barrel, the temperance pledge taken by many present, and thus, perhaps, the movement started which culminated in November, 1880, in the prohibition of the traffic in the State.
On the 5th of September, 1855, a meeting of much greater significance was held at this little village, viz., the Big Springs convention of that day. This was the first Free-State convention held in the Territory. It was at this place that the Free-State party was organized. All of the leading Free-State men were present, among them Ex-Gov. Reeder, Gov Robinson, Gen. J. H. Lane, George W. Smith, J. A. Wakefield, James S. Emery and many others. A large concourse of people came to the convention, feeling that a work of great moment was to be performed that day. Men came in wagons, in carriages, in vehicles of every description, on horseback and on foot, and all in the most solemn and determined earnestness. And each one after the manner of the patriots of the Revolution pledge his life, his property and his sacred honor, if need be, to establish freedom in the State of Kansas. The spirit of the convention is embodied in the following resolution, written by Ex-Gov. Reeder, and reported by James S. Emery:
"That we will endure and submit to these laws (the bogus laws) no longer than the best interests of the Territory required, as the least of two evils, and will resist them to a bloody issue as soon as we ascertain that peaceful remedies shall fail, and forcible resistance shall furnish any reasonable prospect of success; and that in the meantime we recommend to our friends throughout the Territory the organization and discipline of volunteer companies, and the procurement and preparation of arms."
Big Springs now contains two stores, the post office, a blacksmith shop, wagon shop, three churches and about forty inhabitants.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES - LECOMPTON TOWNSHIP.
PROF. N. B. BARTLETT, teacher, Lecompton, was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., November 24, 1834; and removed with his parents to Buffalo, N. Y., where he spent his childhood and youth. He was educated at Western College, Western Iowa, and that institution conferred on him the title of A. M. Mr. Bartlett came to this State in 1865, and settled in Anderson County, where he remained one year, and then removed to Lecompton, where he engaged as a teacher in Lane University. In 1869, he was elected President of the College, and has since remained at the head of this school with the exception of one year - 1876 - when he retired, to resume the work again the following year. Latin and Greek are the particular branches engaging his time in the school. For the past twenty years, Mr. Bartlett has been engaged in teaching. He was married in Western Iowa December 31, 1860, to Miss Lizzie Hill, daughter of F. B. Hill, Esq. They have four children - Frederick C., Ina, Austa and Dana. Mr. Bartlett is a member of the United Brethren Church, and also Trustee of the University.
DR. J. H. BONEBRAKE, Lecompton, was born in Preble County, Ohio, June 21, 1830, and was married in Taylor County, Iowa, April 15, 1858, to Sarah J., daughter of Dr. Caswell Witt. He came to Douglas County, Kan., in the spring of 1860, settling first at Big Springs, and afterward at Lecompton, where he now resides. Dr. Bonebrake commenced the practice of medicine in the spring of 1856, and has been since actively engaged in the practice of his chosen profession, save for a short period in 1866, when he was a member of the Legislature from Douglas County. He is a member of the United Brethren Church, and a member of the Kansas Annual Conference of that church, and is an enthusiastic worker in the cause of higher education, having been one of the founders and most active supporters of Lane University. His family consists of himself, wife and two daughters, Eva J. and Cora W., three children having died in infancy.
JOHN O. BROWN, farmer, Section 7, P. O. Big Springs, was born in Mt. Pleasant, Ind., December 25, 1841. He came to the State in 1858 with his father, and settled in Lecompton Township, where he now resides. He owns a farm of one hundred and sixty acres, and has just erected a commodious and elegant house at a cost of $1,800. When a young man, Mr. Brown went to St. Louis to learn the trade of a confectioner and baker, but has never made it his business, as he has found farming more healthful and profitable. Mr. Brown was married in Shawnee County, near Topeka, February 1, 1877, to Miss Annie E. Hickox, daughter of John Hickox, Esq., and to them have been born two children - Mattie M. and Joseph C., who was born April 22, 1878, and died June 17, 1878. Mr. Brown is a member of the Catholic Church.
ALFRED H. BUCK, farmer, Section 18, P. O. Big Springs, was born in Bridgeton, N. J., November 29, 1835. He came to this State in 1868, and settled in Lawrence. Two years later, he purchased a farm of 199 acres in Lecompton Township, near Big Springs, and has since made it his home. Mr. Buck enlisted September 4, 1862, in Company H, Twelfth Regiment New Jersey State Volunteers, for three years, but in 1863 he was transferred to the Twenty-fourth Regiment Veteran Reserve Corps, and served in the corps until June 15, 1865, when he was honorably discharged. Mr. Brown (sic) fought in the battles of Chancellorsville and Gettysburg in the Second Corps under Gen. Hancock, but was wounded July 3, 1863, by a ball from a sharp-shooter. Mr. Buck was married in Deerfield, N. J., February 14, 1867, to Miss Phebe I, Padgett, daughter of David Padgett, Esq., and to them have been born two sons - Rollin F. and Alfred D. - and two daughters - Eva A. and Essie P. Mr. and Mrs. Buck are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Buck is a Master Mason.
W. A. CARDWELL, minister, Lecompton, came to the State in 1855, and settled in Big Springs, and engaged in preaching, and as all pioneer preachers had to do, worked on a farm during the week. He was born in Newcastle, Ky., August 16, 1817, and was set apart as a minister of the United Brethren Church at White Chapel, Wayne Co., Ind., 1842. While on his way to an appointment near Brownville he was shot at by a rebel for his patriotic and Union sentiments and taken prisoner; no fewer than seven guns were leveled at him before he surrendered. Mr. Cardwell has been twice married. In Brown County, Ind., to Miss Sarah A. Sparks, who died June 8, 1867. Also; August 16, 1870, to Mrs. Susan Stone, widow of Solomon Stone. He is the father of eighteen children, twelve of whom are living - George E., John T., Mattie M. E., Dennis A., James R., Samuel S., Milton W., Ely H., Rhoda, Jno. E., Laura A. and Nora M.
WILLIAM M. COPELAND, merchant, came to this State in 1861, and settled near Topeka, but established himself in business at Big Springs in 1882, doing a general business, as is usual in a country store. Mr. Copeland was born in Pleasant Hill, Cass Co., Mo., September 6, 1845. When the war of the late rebellion seemed to threaten the life of the nation, Mr. Copeland enlisted for three years in Company D, Seventeenth Regiment Kansas Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, and received an honorable discharge. Mr. Copeland was married in Harrisonville, Mo., September 19, 1871, to Miss Fanny P. Booth, daughter of William A. Booth, Esq., of Rock County, Wis. She died February 26, 1882, leaving three children - Minnie L., Effie M. L. and Robert D. - to mourn their loss. Mr. Copeland is an active member of the Christian Church.
THOMAS N. CROWDER, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Lawrence, was born in Ripley County, Ind., December 28, 1835, and moved to Burlington, Des Moines County, Iowa, in the spring of 1846, where he remained twenty years. March 6, 1866, he came to this State, and settled in Lecompton Township, on his farm of seventy-nine acres. Mr. Crowder has devoted much attention to fruit raising, in which he excels, as is evident from his large orchard of choice fruits. Mr. Crowder enlisted for three years in Company I, Eleventh Regiment Iowa Volunteers, and was discharged August 8, 1863; re-enlisted May 16, 1864, and was elected Captain of Company G, Forty-fifth Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry; was mustered out September 16, 1864. He participated in the battle of Shiloh, and in the siege of Corinth, and the investment of Vicksburg. Mr. Crowder was married in Des Moines County, Iowa, July 23, 1857, to Miss Amanda Knotts, daughter of James Knotts, Esq. To them have been born ten children - Victoria A., Abraham L., James M., Wilson W., Elizabeth F., Mary E., Jennie B., Bertha M., Charles T., and Roma A. Mr. Crowder is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Washington Post, No. 12, Lawrence, Kan.
GEORGE W. DUNCAN, farmer, Section 12, P. O. Big Springs, born in Brown County, Ind., November 6, 1835. Mr. Duncan came to the State in 1855, and settled in Lecompton Township, where he still resides. He owns 120 acres, which he has improved. In 1871, he erected a good substantial dwelling house, at a cost of $1,000. During the Price raid Mr. Duncan was called out to serve in the State militia, and was in the engagement at Big Blue in Missouri, and was taken prisoner, and was subsequently paroled. Mr. Duncan was married in Indiana May 5, 1859, to Miss Hettie J. McIlvain, daughter of McLain McIlvain, Esq. They have four children - Minnie A., John S., Edward M. and Mills. Mr. Duncan is a prominent member of the Christian Church, and one of the Board of Trustees.
A. G. GLENN, farmer, Section 5, P. O. Lecompton, was born in Missouri April 12, 1833. He came to this State in 1854, and settled on the farm in Lecompton Township, where he still resides. Mr. Glenn owns a splendid farm, containing 372 acres. The large barn, and other substantial buildings, indicate thrift and prosperity. Mr. Glenn was married in Lecompton November 25, 1857, to Miss Elizabeth Zinn, daughter of George W. Zinn; and to them have been born ten children - George A., William B., John T., Eliza A., Ulysses G., Cyrus L., Nancy J., Jacob T., Mary E. and Alfaretta.
ROBERT W. GORRILL, farmer, Section 17, P. O. Lawrence, was born in Troy, Wood Co., Ohio, January 24, 1832, where he resided until the spring of 1867, when he came to this State and settled in Douglas County. Mr. Gorrill purchased 160 acres in Lecompton Township in 1872, and has recently erected a fine stone residence for his future home. Mr. Gorrill enlisted October 15, 1862, in Company E, Seventy-second Regiment, Ohio Volunteers, for three years; but was discharged for disability after a little more than one month's service. Mr. Gorrill was married in Woodville, Ohio, November 23, 1865, to Miss Helen Baldwin, daughter of William Baldwin, Esq.; they have two sons and two daughters, viz.: Marshall, Robert W., Libbie and Mary Maud. Mr. Gorrill is a substantial and prosperous farmer, and one of the leading men in his community.
HENRY HAFER, farmer, Section 10, P. O. Lecompton, was born in Warren County, Ohio, March 29, 1838, and lived a wandering life until 1868, when he came to this State and settled on a farm in Lecompton, which he owns, containing 160 acres. Mr. Hafer, being a patriotic man, volunteered his services to the Government in 1861, but was rejected; again, in 1862, he offered himself, to be again rejected. In 1863, he was drafted, and, although pronounced incompetent, he yet sent a substitute; when the 100-days men were called, he again offered himself, and this time the examining surgeon accepted him, May 2, 1864; he was sworn into Company A, One Hundred and Forty-ninth Regiment Ohio State Volunteers, and was placed on guard duty; was discharged November 9, 1864. Mr. Hafer was married in Carrollton, Mo., February 2, 1869, to Miss Emily Sneggett, daughter of John T. Sneggett, Esq.; they have one adopted child, Nora A. Mr. Hafer is a member of the M. E. Church.
WILLIAM HENRY, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Big Springs, came to this State in 1868, and settled in Lecompton Township, where he owns a farm containing 490 acres of improved land. He was born in Banks, Indiana Co., Penn., February 10, 1836. Mr. Henry was reared on a farm and has ever since made farming his business, in which he has been successful and prosperous. Mr. Henry served his country during the rebellion as wagonmaster, in the Quarter master's department, from 1862 to 1865. He was sent with medical supplies from Washington to Gettysburg during that battle. Mr. Henry was married, in Indian County, Penn., in October, 1858, to Miss Jane C. Kirk, who died June 17, 1872. He was married again, in Shawnee County, Kan., April 2, 1873, to Miss Rachael C. Hickox, daughter of John Hickox, Esq.; the names of his children are - David K., Leni L., John P. and William. Mr. Henry erected a large substantial stone house on his farm in the summer of 1872.
PROF. JAMES H. HOOVER, teacher, Lecompton, was born near Nashville, Tenn., October 30, 1847; moved to Missouri in 1852, where he remained until 1870, at Boonville, except a short time in Texas. Mr. Hoover came to this State September 27, 1870, and settled in Lecompton; engaged in teaching and also in attendance at the Lane University, from which he graduated in the class of 1880, and was at once elected to the chair of Mathematics in his Alma Mater. Mr. Hoover gives promise of distinction in his profession. He is a member of the U. B. Church, and also the Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the University.
MAJ. J. B. HOPE, farmer, Section 13, P. O. Lecompton, was born in Tennessee June 6, 1828, where he grew to manhood. Enlisted, in 1847, in Company F, Fifth Regiment Tennessee Infantry, for the Mexican war; participated in the battle of Santiago; was discharged July 1848. Enlisted, July 15, 1861, in company H, Seventh Regiment Iowa Volunteers, and was promoted to be Major of the Forty-fifth Regiment Iowa Volunteers; discharged September 16, 1864; was in the following engagements: Bel ont (sic), Fort Henry, Fort Donelson, Shiloh, siege of Corinth, Iuka and Corinth; was wounded six times during these engegements (sic) Mr. Hope was married in Tennessee, February 27, 1850, to Mrs. Maggie A. Richie, widow of Nelson Richie, and daughter of Col. A. Furguson; they have seven children - Stephen H., Anna J., Andrew A., Mary S., Sarah E., John C. and Alfred L. Mr. Hope is a member of the United Brethren Church.
WILLIAM LEAMER, merchant, Lecompton, was born near Hollidaysburg, Penn., September 8, 1826, where he commenced his mercantile career. Mr. Leamer was married, at Altoona, Penn., August 8, 1855, to Miss Anna M. McCormick, daughter of Alexander McCormick, and to them have been born eight children - Kate K., Clara E., William A., E. Brooke, Coates W., Mary Mc., Harry G. and Ella; only one has died, Clara E. Mr. Leamer came to this State in 1856, and settled in Lecompton, and at once established business, keeping a good assortment of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, etc., etc. Mr. Leamer also owns a fine farm of 220 acres near Lecompton. Mr. Leamer is a gentleman of fine tastes and good social qualities.
MOSES McCALL, farmer, Section 4, P. O. Lecompton, was born in Greene County, Ohio, in 1818; removed with his parents to Hancock County, Ind., and then, in the fall of 1838, to Clay County, Mo. Mr. McCall enlisted in the spring of 1846, and served under Capt. Hayden in the Mexican war for two years, and, in 1854, came to this State and located in Lecompton Township, where he owns 240 acres, 160 of which he paid for by a Government warrant issued to him for his services in the Mexican war. In that early day, Mr. McCall used to hunt deer and wild turkey on the ground now covered by the village of Lecompton. Mr. McCall was married in Platte County, Mo., February 6, 1852, to Miss Virginia Blankinship, daughter of Sylvester Blankinship, Esq.; they have ten children, viz.: America, Israel, Alexander, Nancy M., David T., Sarah M., Rose A., John S., Virginia, William M. and an infant (now dead). Mr. McCall is a member and class-leader in the M. E. Church.
DAVID MARTIN, farmer, Section 9, P. O. Lecompton, was born in Antrim County, near Belfast, Ireland, December 1, 1814; emigrated to the United States, in 1819 with his parents, and ettled (sic) in Indiana County, Penn., where he remained about fourteen years and then for eight years lived at Cresson, in Cambria Co., Penn. Engaged upon the railroad, and afterward lived five years in Hollidaysburg, Penn. In 1855, he came to this State and settled in Lecompton Township, where he owns a farm of 320 acres. Mr. Martin was married in Cresson, Penn., September 16, 1840 to Miss Mary Howell, daughter of John Howell; they have seven children - George W., Edmond M., David H., Anna, John H., Elizabeth and Stephen D. His son, George W., is well known as the head of a large printing establishment at Topeka, and a politician of consider ble (sic) note.
GEORGE W. MORRIS, farmer, Section 33, P. O. Lecompton, came to this State May 20, 1857, and settled in Lecompton Township, where he has since resided. He has 100 acres, which he has under good improvements. He was born in Rockingham County, Va., February 28, 1823; removed, with his parents, in 1833, to Franklin County, Ohio, where he was in mercantile business until he came to this State. Mr. Morris is an active temperance worker and a pronounced prohibitionist, a member of the Republican Central Committee, and a man of influence. He is also an active member of the M. E. Church. Mr. Morris was married in Franklin County, Ohio, July 4, 1848, to Miss Sarah Williams, daughter of Abraham Williams, Esq.; six children have been born to them, three of whom are living, one son and two daughters - William H., Mary E. and Alice J.