|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
COUNTY ORGANIZATION AND OFFICIAL ROSTER.
The county seat, by the first act organizing the county, was designated at Lecompton, which was in the minds of leading Kansas politicians of that time, destined to be the capital of the State. The town was incorporated by act of the Territorial Legislature of 1855, and with the growing ideas of the importance f the town it was also incorporated as a city before the session closed. The corporators of the town were Aristides Rodrigues, Daniel Woodson, J. C. Thompson, C. Donaldson and William Thompson. Lecompton remained the county seat and the capital of the State so long as the people of Kansas had no voice in the making of the laws. So soon as they could be heard, the bogus town wilted with the bogus power that gave it birth. It may be unnecessary to say that the Lecompton of to-day has nothing in common with the Lecompton of twenty-eight years ago, except its name. In January, 1858, the Territorial Legislature passed an act, introduced by Mr. Owen, removing and locating the county seat of Douglas County at Lawrence where it is now.
The first Territorial Legislature also established ferries at Douglas City, Paris Ellison being the owner and corporate proprietor, and one at Lecompton, the corporators being William K. Simmons, Wesley Garrett and others. Douglas was incorporated as a city, John W. Reid, George W. Clarke, Charles E. Kearney, Edward C. McCarty, Paris Ellison and M. W. McGee being the incorporators.
The town of Louisiana was also incorporated; the corporators were F. M. Coleman (who shot Dow), Daniel Jones, Horatio Owens, Richard Young and others. The corporation was authorized to purchase and hold any quantity of land where the town of Salem now is, not to exceed 480 acres. Louisiana was about two miles northwest of Baldwin City, and was the scene of the murder of Dow, by Coleman, the head corporator and prospective Mayor of the city of Louisiana, one of the numerous paper cities, which never existed except in the minds of their projectors and in the charter granted.
Quantrell's raid into Lawrence, August 21, 1863, resulted in the burning of the county buildings, the destruction of the records of the county, and the murder of the County Clerk, George W. Bell, consequently it is impossible to present an authoritative corporative history of the county prior to the date of the raid. The following is believed to be essentially complete and correct. It has involved much labor and patience and expense, to make even the imperfect compilation presented. It is, however, as full and correct a was ever compiled under like discouraging circumstances and is certainly a valuable basis on which the memories of old settlers can build a more perfect structure.
The first Commissioners Court of Douglas County was held at Lecompton, September 24, 1855, it having been convened in accordance with the proclamation of Sheriff Samuel J. Jones, who had been appointed by the Territorial Legislature, at it adjourned session at the Shawnee Manual Labor School in Johnson County. The Commissioners were Dr. John N. O. P. Wood, Chairman and ex officio Probate Judge: John M. Banks and George W. Johnston. Judge Wood administered the oath of office to his Associate, Judge Banks, September 15, and Judge Johnston, October 15, and on the 24th of September, Judge Wood appointed James Christian Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners. The records of these appointments and the oath of office sworn to by these officers, which among other things recognized an allegiance to the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850, was made by the County Clerk, January 26, 1856. The municipal townships of the county were named Lecompton, Lawrence, Franklin, Washington, and Louisiana, in the beginning. January 27, 1856 the townships were restructured and were established with Lecompton in the northwest with the city of Lecompton as its voting place: Calhoun in the northeast, with Lawrence as a voting place: Washington in the southeast with Palmyra as a voting place: Wakarusa in the southwest, with Bloomington as a voting place.
By a map published July 4, 1857, it appears that the incorporated villages in the townships were as follows:
In Lecompton were Lecompton, Douglas, Benicia and Marshall
Washington had the villages of Bloomington, Willow Springs and Washington
Wakarusa took in Lawrence, Franklin and Sebastian.
Calhoun had within its border, Pacific City, Louisiana, Palmyra and Prairie City.
The reader will look in vain on the map to-day for Douglas, Benicia, Marshall, Sebastian, Pacific City or Louisiana. They went out of existence quite early. Lawrence is the only town then incorporated which has grown to be a leading city of the State. The others, such as retain the names of their early christening are quiet and small hamlets, in accordance with their surroundings more than with the boundless hopes of their projectors. Eastern Kansas was dotted all over with paper cities in 1855. The above are only those of Douglas County.
August 18, 1856, Willow Springs Township was formed: August 27, 1858, the
townships were Lecompton, Lawrence, Eudora, Palmyra-changed from
Calhoun-Willow Springs, Marion and Clinton. In 1859, Kanwaka Township formed
the City of Lawrence then had three wards and the town of North Lawrence was
formed in 1865, from territory taken out of Sarcoxie Township in Jefferson
County. The Legislature of 1867 provided for the formation of Grant Township
out of Sarcoxie Township and making the same a part of Douglas County,. In
1870, North Lawrence became a part of Lawrence and the city proper contained
wards one, two, three and four; North Lawrence wards five and six. As a
showing of the growth of Lawrence and Douglas County in the matter of
population from 1860 to 1882, and the vote cast in 1863, 1876 and 1880, the
following is given":
County Clerks - James Christian was succeeded in the office of County Clerk by Robert C. Bishop, April 21, 1856. Salmon S. Prouty was appointed County Clerk October 24, 1857. The last meeting of the Board of County Commissioners was held at Lecompton, December 7, 1857; the first one at Lawrence was on the 21st of December. James C. Horton was Mr. Prouty's Deputy, and at the meetings of the Board, held at Lawrence, Mr. Horton officiated as the Clerk. The Board of Supervisors, consisting of the Chairman of each township Board, held their first meeting April 26, 1858. S. W. Eldridge was chosen Chairman and Caleb S. Pratt, Clerk. Mr. Pratt was Clerk of Commissioners' Court until his death, which occurred at Wilson's Creek August 10, 1861, where he was killed in action, having been mustered in as Second Lieutenant of Company D, of the First Regiment Kansas Infantry, June 3, 1861. At a meeting of the Board of County Commissioner, held August 26, 12861, Turner Sampson, Chairman, H. Shanklin, Deputy County Clerk, the following preamble and resolution were adopted:
"WHEREAS, The office of County Clerk of this county has been made vacant by the death of Caleb S. Pratt, who fell at the battle of Wilson's Creek, near Springfield, Mo., on the 10th day of August, while bravely defending the cause of our country we deem it due to his memory to record the high opinion this board have entertained of his honest and ability, both as a public officer and private citizen, and we feel that by his death the community have lost an honored and worthy citizen, and the people of this county an able and faithful officer, who was well entitled to the public confidence so often bestowed upon him; and
WHEREAS, In consequence of the death of Caleb S. Pratt,
"Resolved That Henry Shanklin be appointed County Clerk, pro tem
"Resolved, That John Pratt, former Deputy County Clerk of this county, be and hereby is appointed County Clerk, to fill vacancy occasioned by the death of Caleb S. Pratt, and that the Clerk be instructed to notify him of his appointment."
George W. Bell, elected November, 1861, was killed by the Quantrell band, who invaded Lawrence August 21, 1863, and burned the court house and on the 22nd of August, the following record was made on the Commissioners' journal:
"LAWRENCE, DOUGLAS COUNTY, KAN., August 22, 1863
"In consequence of a raid upon the county seat of the county, by a band of rebels, on Friday morning, August 21, during which the County Clerk was killed, the county house with most of the county records, destroyed, a special meeting of the County Commissioners was assembled at the office of E. D. Ladd, Esq. F. Gleeson and Charles Dickson were present at the meeting. It was ordered that Samuel C. Smith be appointed County Clerk, to fill the vacancy occasioned by the death of George W. Bell."
The following is a copy of the notice to Mr. Smith of his appointment:
LAWRENCE, Kan., August 22, 1863
Paul R. Brooks was the successor of Mr. Smith and was succeeded by Thomas B. Smith, January 12, 1874. On the 1st of May, 1876, Mr. Smith resigned the position, and B. F. Diggs was appointed his successor. He was elected in November, 1876, for the remainder of the term and for a full term in November, 1877. Nelson O. Stevens was elected in 1879, and re-elected in 1881.
County Commissioners - John Spicer succeeded George W. Johnston, as County Commissioner, October 16, 1856; James M. Touton, succeeded John M. Banks, December 15, 1856. In October, 1857, Josiah Miller, as Probate Judge was Chairman of the County Board and Mr. Touton and Henry Bricklow, were the other members of the Board. Marshal F. Davis succeeded Mr. Touton November 14, 1857. The County Board of Supervisors, April 26, 1858, consisted of Shailer W. Eldridge, Chairman; Oliver Barber, John T. Stark, J. W. Umbarger. August 20, H. L. Enos was one of the Supervisors. October 18, 1858, the Board consisted of George Ford, Lawrence, Chairman; Oliver Barber, Clinton; Levi Woodward, Eudora; Silas O. Hemenway, Lecompton; John F. Stark, Palmyra; E. L. Scudder, Willow Springs. In April, 1859, George W. Umbarger, of Clinton Township, was Chairman of the Board (he was succeeded by John A. Beam); the other members were Zeno Rogers, Eudora; George Ford, Lawrence; F. F. Bruner, Lecompton; Daniel G. Brown, Marion; Simeon Cole, Palmyra; Samuel Hindman, Willow Springs. In March 1860, Wakarusa Township was formed out of Lawrence Township, embracing all of it excepting the city of Lawrence. There was a return to County Commissioners in April, 1860, and they consisted of P. H. Berkaw, Chairman, Turner Samson and Levi Woodward. In January 1871, the Board consisted of Turner Sampson, Chairman, Fortunatus Gleason, and William B. Hayden. November 8, 1861, W. H. Duncan was appointed to succeed Mr. Sampson who resigned. In January, 1862, the Board consisted of Mr. Gleason, Chairman, John E. Campbell and Charles Dickson. In January 1864 there was the same board and Farrington Barricklow succeeded Mr Dickson, July 5. In January 1866 the Board consisted of Messrs. Gleason, Campbell and William N. Neal. Mr Campbell resigned September 3, 1866, and C. M. Sears was appointed, March 11, 1867. Grant Township embraced the territory north of the river except North Lawrence and its first township election was held on the fourth Monday of March, 1867. The Commissioners, in January, 1868, were George Cutler, Chairman, G. W. FE. Griffiths and Aaron E. Platts. In January, 1870, the Board consisted of Joel Grover, Chairman, Joseph L. Jones and Newton Hinshaw. In 1872, it was composed of O. Darling, Chairman, Mr. Grover and W. B. Disbrow. In 1874, John Deskines, Chairman, Samuel L. Clark and S. T. Zimmerman constituted the Board.
Commissioner District - The county is divided into Commissioner Districts, as follows: First District- Grant Township and City of Lawrence; Second- Eudora, Palmyra and Wakarusa; Third- Lecompton, Kanwaka, Clinton, Marion and Willow Springs. In 1875, Theodore Poehler was elected in the First District; Samuel L. Clark in the Second; John Deskins in the Third. Mr. Poehler was Chairman of this Board. He resigned and Turner Sampson succeeded him. George W. Cady was elected from the First District in 1876, and John Walton, on December 26, was appointed to succeed Samuel L. Clark, resigned. In January, 1877, John Deskines was elected Chairman. John C. Walton succeeded George W. Cady in January, 1878 and entered upon a second term in January 1881, being Chairman of the Board. John Walton was elected in the years of 1879 and 1882. P. A. Dolbee was elected to succeed John Deskines in November, 1880.
County Treasurers - Hugh Cameron was appointed Treasurer September 24, 1855; Westley Garrett, on the 19th of November, 1855; William Yates, August 14, 1858; Robert G. Elliott succeeded him, and in January, 1864, James Blood became the successor of Robert G. Elliott; four years later, M. S. Beach succeeded Mr. Blood. Theodore Poehler took possession of the office in January, 1872, as successor to Mr. Beach, having been elected in November, 1873. Mr. Poehler resigned April 16, 1874, and James E. Watson was appointed. Mr. Watson was elected in November of the years 1874,1875 and 1877. At his last election he received 2, 048 votes; James C. Horton, 839 votes. A contest was commenced by Mr. Horton, November, 14, 1877, in the office of Probate Court, and Judge Norton selected as Associate Judges Owen A. Bassett and Newton Hinshaw. The counsel for Mr. Horton was Samuel A. Riggs, Osbun Shannon and N. Hoysradt; for Treasurer Watson, Solon O. Thacher and George J., Barker. The trial terminated January 29, 1878, the decision being in favor of Treasurer Watson. Mr. Horton claimed the election on the ground that Treasurer Watson had held the office continuously for more than two consecutive terms, hence was ineligible and therefore all the votes received by him were for naught. May 29, 1878, Mr. Watson resigned the office and on his suggestion Robert Young was employed to examine the affairs of the County Treasury, and on October 2, 1878, William Roe, Theodore Poehler and John E. McCoy were appointed as Trustees, to receive the property of Mr. Watson. Robert Morrow was appointed as the successor of Mr. Watson and he entered upon the duties of the office June 4, 1878. Oliver Barber was elected to the office in November, 1878 to fill out the vacancy and for a full term in November, 1879. Paul R. Brooks succeeded him in the office October, 1882.
Register of Deeds - Salmon S. Prouty was Recorder while County Clerk, and he was succeeded in the office by James C. Horton. Mr. Horton went out of the office in January, 1864, succeeded by his brother Stephen S, Horton. He was succeeded by D. B. Denison in January, 1872; D. W. Littell succeeded Mr. Denison in January, 1874; A. G.. Honnold was the successor of Mr. Littell in January, 1880.
Sheriffs - Samuel J. Jones, appointed by the Territorial Legislature of 1855, who is said to have retained the office of Postmaster at Westport, Mo until February 1, 1856, resigned the office of Sheriff December 5, 1856. William F. Sherrard* followed him in the office; Harrison Butcher, in July, 1857; William P. Fain, in August, 1857; Samuel Walker in October, 1857; Henry Brown was Sheriff in January, 1862. Stephen Ogden was Sheriff from January, 1864, to January, 1868; Samuel Walker from January, 1868, to January, 1872; Samuel H. Carmean, from January, 1872 to January, 1876; H. S. Clarke, from January, 1876, to January, 1880, since which time H. B. Asher has been the occupant of the office, his term expiring in January, 1884.
** Sherrard never qualified nor received his commission. Pending the making out of his commission by Gov. Geary, he was shot in an affray in Lecompton.
Coroners - Peter Crockett was appointed Coroner September 24, 1855; he was succeeded by Samuel Kramer, January 27, 1856. Wesley Garrett succeeded Kramer; Samuel B Ford succeeded Garrett April 6, 1857. Thaddeus Prentice had the office from January, 1864, to January, 1866. A. W. Cheneweth held the office the following term; he was succeeded by Marcus Summerfield; A. G. Abdella succeeded, followed by V. G. Miller. R. Morris is the present coroner, having gone into the office in January, 1878.
Probate Judges - John N. O. P. Wood and Josiah Miller held the office during the Territorial period, Judge Miller lapping over into the early State time; James M. Hendry held the office from July, 1862, to January, 1874; and again from January, 1879, to January, 1881; John Quincy Adams Norton from January, 1875, to January, 1879. A. H. Foote went into the office on his second term in January, 1883.
Clerks of the District Court - Henry Shanklin, Wilson Shannon, Jr., and Samuel A. Stonebraker, held this position prior to January, 1867; Barney D. Palmer was elected in November, 1866, and held the office continuously until his death which occurred while he was a candidate for the ninth time, in 1880. Marcus Summerfield succeeded him and is possession of the office in 1883.
County Attorneys - A. C. W. Safford, Harvey Lowman and Louis Carpenter held this office before the office of District Attorney was created. Samuel A. Riggs held this position. D. T. Mitchell held the office from January, 1865, to January, 1867; Eugene L. Akin from January, 1867, to January, 1871; John Hutchings, George J., Barker and William N. Nevison, from January, 1871, to January, 1877. Salmon M. Allen held the office in 1877 and 1878; Joseph Green in 1879 and in 1880; Albert Knittle in 1881 and in 1882; George J. Barker's term commenced in January, 1883.
County Superintendents of Public Instruction - Samuel W. Greer, Territorial Superintendent of Public Instruction, in a report made January 4, 1860, of the educational status of sixteen counties in the Territory, puts Douglas County then as it now remains in the fore front of the educational interests of the State. This report show thirty-six organized school districts; 1,805 persons of school age; schools taught in 33 districts, aggregating 92 months; $860.33 raised to build school houses in the county for the year 1859. Douglas County Superintendents of Public Instruction since Kansas became a State have been B. R. Cunningham, Warner Craig, Rev. John S. Brown, J. W. Horner, Rev. William A. Starett, Henry C. Speer, Shepard M. Gaston, D. Shuck, Frank F. Dinsmoor, Miss Sarah A. Brown and J. C. Banta. In January, 1883, Mr. Banta's term of office commenced. Rev. Mr. Brown and Miss Brown are father and daughter. In the State election of 1880, Miss Brown and Prof. Speer were opposing candidates for the office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction. Mr. Speer was re-elected to the position in November, 1882.
County Surveyors - In the Territorial period, T. Connolly, Joseph P. Robinson, Daniel G. Peabody and David Hubbard held the office of Surveyor. Holland Wheeler, T. C. Darling, Thomas J. Sternbergh and Alva H. Pearson, have been the County Surveyors for the past twenty years.
Territorial and State Representatives - Douglas County for a long time was the political center of Kansas. Its representation has been large in the Constitutional Conventions and Legislatures of the Territory and State. In the Territorial Legislature of 1855, John M. Banks, A. B. Wade and James Whitlock were its Representatives; Edward Chapman was its Councilman. In the Topeka Constitutional Convention, its delegates were H. Burson; A Curtiss, James S. Emery, Joel K. Goodin, Morris Hunt, Richard Knight, James H. Lane, Samuel Mewhinney, Charles Robinson, George W. Smith, J. M. Turner and John A. Wakefield. In the Legislature of 1857, Joseph C. Anderson, O. H. Browne, Harrison Butcher, James Garvin and J. C. Thompson were the representatives. In the Lecompton Constitutional Convention its delegates were L. S. Boling, Harrison Butcher, John Calhoun, .W. Jones, W. T. Spicely, O. C. Stewart, John M. Wallace and William S. Wells. In the Territorial Legislature of 1858, in the Council, Lyman Allen, Carmi W. Babcock and Edwin S. Nash represented Douglas and Johnson Counties. Hiram Appleman, Oliver Barber, George W. Deitzler, John Lockhart, Gideon Seymour, John Speer, Andrew T. Still and George W. Linn were the Representatives.
Leavenworth Constitutional Convention - Douglas and Johnson Counties were represented in this Convention by James D. Allen, Charles H. Branscomb, John L. Brown, Martin F. Conway, James S. Emery, Charles Mayo, W. R. Monteith, D. Pickering, E. S. Scudder, J. M. Shepherd, A. Soule, T. Dwight Thacher and Samuel N. Wood. The members of the House in the Legislature of 1859, were C. H. Branscomb, H. J. Canniff, A. Curtis, J. B.; Hovey, John Lockhart, Robert Morrow, P. H. Townsend and Levi Woodward.
Wyandotte Constitutional Convention - Douglas County was represented in this Convention by James Blood, N. C. Blood, William Hutchison, Edwin Stokes, Solon O. Thacher, P. H. Townsend and L. R. Williams.
Territorial Legislature of 1860 - Paul R. Brooks, Eratus heath and William A. Rankin were members of the House; Peter P. Elder, of Franklin County was the Councilman from the district composed of the counties of Anderson, Douglas and Franklin. In the Legislature of 1861, John P. Cowles, George W. Deitzler and Alois Thoman were in the House from Douglas.
State Legislature of 1861 - In the first State Legislature, the Senators from Douglas were Josiah Miller and Robert Morrow; the Representatives were James B. Abbott, D. M. Alexander, Oliver Barber, W. D. Blackford, W. R. Davis, Edward D. Thompson and Levi Woodward.
Legislature of 1862 - Robert S. Stevens succeeded to the vacancy of the Senate, vice Josiah Miller; the members of the House from Douglas were Sidney Clarke, B. W. Hartley, J. L. Jones, D. T. Mitchell, Chauncey L. Steel, Alois Thoman and R. S. Williams. This Legislature made the first State Legislature apportionment and Douglas County was the ninth Senatorial District with two senators, and its Representative districts were numbered 35, 36, 37, 38,39, and 40.
Since 1862, the number of it Senatorial District and its Senators have been as follows:
1863 and 1864- Ninth District- Wilbur F. Woodworth, S. M. Thorp, Robert G. Elliott succeeded Senator Thorp in 1864, he having been killed at the Quantrell massacre.
1865 and 1866- Ninth District- Oliver Barber, John Speer. In 1866, Eugene L. Atan filled the office of John Speer, who resigned the position.
1867 and 1868- Lewis F. Green, Samuel A. Riggs. In 1868 Oscar E. Learnard succeeded Senator Riggs who filled the position of United States District Attorney.
1869 and 1870- Oscar E. Learnard, Levi Woodward
1871 and nineteenth District, J. C. Vincent, L. J. Worden
1873 and 1874- M. A. O'Neil, Samuel Walker. In 1874 Henry Bronson succeeded Senator Walker, resigned. J. C. Vincent was elected April 7, 1874 to fill vacancy.
1875 and 1876- James C. Horton, Charles Robinson
1877-1880- Charles Robinson, Henry M. Green
1881-1884- Solon O. Thacher, Albert R. Green
At the election in 1884, Douglas County will be in the Fifteenth Senatorial District, and will elect one Senator.
Its Representatives and Representative Districts have been as follows:
COUNTY BUILDINGS AND SOCIETIES.
County Jail - The first building used for the confinement of county and city prisoners was a rough but substantial log structure 20 x 20 feet, located on the site of the old Methodist Church. The jail was built by the city in 1857, and answered its purpose until 1859-60, when the present building was completed.
At a meeting of the County Commissioners, December 18, 1858, the plans and specifications of J. G. Haskell, for a county jail were adopted. The jail, which was the first iron jail built in the State, was at that time considered the strongest structure of its kind in the West. It was completed in 1859, at an estimated cost of $18,000 by E. Jacobs & Co., of Cincinnati, Ohio. Although its accommodations were limited to forty prisoners, it has during times of "excitement" held over sixty. Three executions have taken place within its walls.
City Hall and Court House - Prior to the erection of the City Hall in 1869, the city and county business was transacted at different places in the city. The building, which is a handsome two-story brick structure, was built by the city at a cost of $32,000. It is known as the "City Hall" but in it are located all the county offices, city offices, court rooms, council chamber, and is also used as the headquarters of the fire and police departments.
Western National Fair Associations - At the annual meeting of the Old Settlers' Association, held in Bismarck Grove in 1879, preliminary steps were taken toward organizing an association for the purpose of holding a series of annual fairs at that place.
A committee consisting of J. S. Emery and G. Leis, was appointed to confer with the Union Pacific Railroad Company for the purpose of securing the Grove, and their co-operation in making improvements. A second committee was also appointed by the Chamber of Commerce for the same purpose.
November 29, 1879, the society was incorporated under the name of the Western National Fair Association, with a capital stock of $15,000. The first Board of Directors consisted of the following named gentlemen: N. A. Adams, Riley County; J. F. Kenney, Trego County; William Martindale, Greenwood County; William Evalts, Douglas County; E. N. Morrill, Brown County; J. B. Anderson, Davis County; J. H. Rice, Miami County; G. A. Crawford, Bourbon County; I. C. Wasson, Franklin County; L. Savery, Lyon County; L. Wilson, Leavenworth County; George Leis, I. N. Van Hoesen, J. D. Bowersock, S. A. Riggs, Douglas County. First officers: J. F. Kenney, President; L. C. Wassen, Vice President; J. D. Bowersock, Treasurer; J. E. Riggs, Secretary.
The grounds, consisting of 333 acres-seventy-five acres of which are covered with natural groves-are situated one and one-half miles northeast of the city of Lawrence, on the line of the Union Pacific Railway. Upward of $100,000 have been spent in improvements by the company during the past three years, in the erection of magnificent buildings. Machinery Hall, Agricultural Hall, Art Hall, and the main building, stand as monuments to the genius of the architect. With a one mile race course, two thousand cattle stalls, pure water and other advantages, the grounds controlled by this association are not surpassed by any in the great West.
Under the management of its present officers- C. Robinson, President; M. J. Payne, First Vice-president; E. R. Purcell, second Vice President; J. Barker, Third Vice President; J. H. House, Fourth Vice President; C. F. Morse, Fifth Vice President; E. A. Smith, Secretary; J. D. Bowersock, Treasurer-the association is one of the strongest organizations of its kind in the State.
Old Settlers' Association - an informal meeting of the old settlers of Lawrence and vicinity was held at Lawrence, September 15, 1870., the sixteenth anniversary of the founding of Lawrence. An organization was formed and the following officers elected: Ex-Gov. Charles Robinson, President; J. A. Wakefield, Vice President; Joseph Savage, Secretary. Speeches were made by Senator S. E. Pomeroy, Gov. Robinson, Col. W. A. Phillips, Rev. C. Lovejoy, Col. D. R. Anthony, Maj. J. B. Abbott, James F. Legate and others.
At their seventh annual meeting September 15, 1854, was the date decided upon, as the founding of Lawrence.