|KANSAS COLLECTION BOOKS|
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES (HARVEY - MCCREATH).
DAVID J. HARVEY, Farmer, Section 21, P. O. Lawrence, was born in Howard County, Mo., February 27, 1826, son of Allen and Lettie (Johnson) Harvey. He was born a slave and owned by Josiah Foster, from whom he was freed by the war in 1862, and the following year came to Kansas in destitute circumstances, but with pluck, determination and good management, he has become the owner of 100 acres of fine land free from incumbrance. He was married in Douglas County, Kan., October 26, 1863, to Mrs. Rebecca, daughter of Parker Y. Brooks. They have the following children: Sherman A., born October 6, 1864; Grant D., September 30, 1866; Edward S., August 2, 1870. Step-children - Annie Brooks, born August 2, 1851; Walker Parker, August 12, 1854; Daniel Parker, April 3, 1857; and Blunt Parker, March 17, 1863. He has one son in the University of Lawrence. Mrs. Harvey is a member of the Second Baptist Church of Lawrence.
A. E. HITCHCOCK, farmer, Section 24, P. O. Lawrence, settled on his present place in 1875, and is now operating 107 acres devoted to grain and stock; has twenty-three head of stock cattle. Mr. Hitchcock was born in Washington County, Ill., January 1, 1855. His father, Bethuel Hitchcock, moved to Kansas in 1855, in company with his (B. H.'s) father-in-law, P. S. Hutchinson. They both pre-empted claims in Douglas County. Mr. Hutchinson was a private in the Mexican war, and commanded a company of Free-State troops in the early days of Kansas. His only child married B. Hitchcock, in Washington County, Ill. Mrs. Hitchcock died, leaving four children - Phillip T., since deceased; Alphonzo E; Melissa A., now Mrs. Godfrey; and Francis M. B. Hitchcock was also private in the Mexican war, and commanded a company of volunteers, United States Army, in Kansas during the late war. He went to Missouri in 1874, and is supposed to have died there. A. E. Hitchcock, the subject of this sketch, was educated in Douglas County, and has always engaged in farming. He was married in Douglas County, October 30,1879, to Miss Rose, daughter of Collin Holloway, Esq. They have two children - Viola M. and an infant unnamed.
J. B. HOWARD, old settler and farmer, Section 32, P. O. Lawrence, pre-empted and settled on present place in 1857, and has since actively engaged in farming. During the war, he was connected with the Blue Mound Guards, under Capt. Ogden. He was born in Canaan, Columbia Co., N. Y., August 6, 1815. His parents moved to Oswego County; thence to Washtenaw County, Mich., in 1829. J. B. was born and brought up on a farm, and after coming of age engaged in farming in Michigan until 1857, when he drove through to Kansas. He was married in Washtenaw County, Mich., November 23, 1836, to Miss Lashier, of that county. They have four children living - Harriet (now Mrs. Hollenbeck), Frank, John and Lewis D.
LEWIS D. HOWARD, one of the trustees of Fair View Methodist Episcopal Church, is engaged in farming in Section 32, operating 120 acres, devoted to grain and stock. He was born in Washtenaw County, Mich., August 22, 1849, and moved to Kansas with his parents in 1857; commenced farming on his own account in 1879. He was married in Osage County, Kan., March 10, 1872, to Miss Kate Code, a member of one of the pioneer families. They have three children - Charles, Edward and Frank.
WILLIAM HUGHES, farmer and old settler, Section 21, P. O. Lawrence, settled on present place in 1862, at that time a farm of 100 acres. He has since continued to add to his land. His specialty is stock, having at the head of his herd thoroughbreds, both Short-horn and Jersey. Mr. Hughes was born in Wales April 9, 1833. His father emigrated to America with his family when William was only five years old, and settled on a farm near Pittsburgh, Penn., belonging to Gen. William Robinson, who cleared the land on which Allegheny City now stands. William's mother died when he was so young that he merely remembers seeing her. His early ambition, struggling as he did with poverty in his youth, both on account of his mother's death and a misfortune that disabled his father, was to emigrate to some new State, where lands were cheap, and rise with the progress of that county. When nearly twenty-one years of age, he started for Kansas, arriving at Lawrence, March 15, 1855, with just 50 cents in his pocket, with which he paid for his first night's lodging. The next morning, he went to work getting out timber for the Free-State Hotel, at which he labored for about two months. He then bought on credit two yoke of cattle and a wagon, and commenced freighting goods from Leavenworth to Lawrence, and in the spring of 1857 he paid up his borrowed capital, purchased another yoke of cattle for cash, and had $800 in money. He now took a land claim in Coffey County, but was unfortunate and lost all he had invested. In the summer of 1858, he returned to Pennsylvania to get married, and after paying the minister for performing the ceremony, had $2.50 left. His parents being dead, Gov. (sic) Robinson, who was his guardian, made him a present of $00, with which he started West with his wife and a little brother, whom he had taken from the orphan asylum. Upon his arrival in Kansas, he had only $10 left, and immediately went to work as a farm laborer. At the end of two month, he purchased a yoke of cattle on credit for $160, borrowed $20 to commence housekeeping, and set up his own family hearth. He again commenced freighting for cash, when he could get, for a calf rather than get nothing, and so worked until he was owner of four yoke of cattle. In 1861, he took a contract for hauling a steam boiler from Quindaro to the Sac Agency, and had his leg broken on the trip, and was laid up four months. Just as he had recovered, every one of his oxen died from the Spanish fever. Broke again, his neighbors helped him to secure his crops, and rendered other assistance. In August, he bought a third outfit on credit, and took a small freighting contract for the Government, out of which he made some money and bought twenty calves. Buying a mowing machine on credit, he cut 200 tons of hay for the Government, out of which he made $1,600 in gold. In 1862, he purchased 100 acres of land, and has since actively engaged in farming. Mr. Hughes was an ardent Free-State man during the Territorial days of Kansas; and was a member of Capt. Bickerton's artillery company at the taking of Ft. Titus. He was also in the battles of Ft. Saunders, Franklin and in all the engagements of the Free-State campaigns of 1855-56. In August, 1858, he was married to Ellen Jane Robinson, of Sharpsburg, Penn., a daughter of Alexander Robinson, a pioneer of Western Pennsylvania. They have had three children, two of whom are living - William Robinson and Thomas Jefferson. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
ROBERT IRVIN, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Lawrence, born in Crawford County, Penn., October 13, 1820, son of John Irvin and Jane McKnight. He came to the State in 1855, settled in Wakarusa Township; owns a quarter-section well improved; was through all the border troubles. When a force of 2,700 men were marching for Lawrence, Mrs. Irvin and several other brave women went to the top of Blue Mound and gave the first signal to Lawrence of the impending danger. Mr. Irvin enlisted in 1863 in Company I, Sixteenth Regiment Kansas Cavalry. He was discharged 1864. He was married in Erie County, Penn., January 17, 1850, to Miss Jane A., daughter of James and Margaret (McCrea) Moore. They have three children - William S., born April 5, 1853; John A., born November 27, 1858; Edmond, born October 22, 1862. Mr. and Mrs. Irvin are members of the United Presbyterian Church in Lawrence.
MORGAN JONES, farmer, Section 34, P. O. Lawrence, settled on his present place in 1866. Is now operating 240 acres; devotes his principal attention to wheat, simply raising coarse grain to feed to stock, which consists of forty head of cattle, ten head of horses and some hogs. Mr. Jones was born in Parish of Darouen, Montgomeryshire, Wales, September 4, 1819. He engaged in farming there until 1846, when he emigrated to the United States, settling in Cincinnati, Ohio. Here he learned the trade of boiler-maker, and followed this business in Cincinnati and Pomeroy, Ohio, until 1858. He then moved to Kansas, settling in Douglas County, where he has since been engaged in farming. He was connected with the militia during the war, serving in Capt. Dickinson's company during the Price raid. Mr. Jones married in Cincinnati, Ohio, May 14, 1847, Miss Elizabeth Griffith, a native of Wales. They have had eight children, of which there survives Robert M., Jane N. (now Mrs. J. John), John M., Maggie (now Mrs. William Griffith), Elizabeth, Dun, Thomas C. and Morgan, Jr.
L. J. KENNEDY, farmer, Section 23, P. O. Lawrence. The home farm consists of 120 acres, devoted to grain and stock; has also outlying some twenty acres of timber. Mr. Kenneday (sic) was born in Brown county, Ohio, September 21, 1835. He received his schooling in his native county. About 1854, the family moved to Fulton County, Ill., and the following year to Kansas. L. J. pre-empted a claim, and has since been engaged in farming. During the Wakarusa war, he took an active part in the attack on Fort Saunders and Fort Titus, also assisted in the defense of Lawrence in 1856. During the great rebellion, he was connected with the State Militia. Mr. Kenneday (sic) was married in Douglas County, Kan., July 29, 1859, to Miss Amanda E. Todd, a member of one of our pioneer families. They have seven children - Eva L., Elmer H., Charles T., Harvey, Clarence L., Albert R. and Harry E. Margaret (Ralston) Kenneday, is one of our earliest settlers; she was born in Manchester, Adams County, Ohio, October 27, 1800. Her parents moved to Brown County, Ohio, about 1807, where she married John R. Kenneday, June 22, 1820, who died in 1845. They had thirteen children in all, ten living to maturity, the eldest daughter, Elizabeth A., married A. Leming, and died in Ohio. Another daughter, Sarah J., is now Mrs. John Neal of Ohio. In 1854, Mrs. Kenneday, with the younger children, moved to Fulton County, Ill., where her elder sons were already settled. In 1855, a company was formed, consisting of twelve wagons, and made the overland journey to Kansas. Mrs. Kenneday's family consisted of five sons and three daughters; four of the sons - W. B., T. H., O. P. and L. J. - now reside in Douglas County; the other son, J. R., is in Colorado. Of the daughters, Nettie is now Mrs. W. H. Curless, of Missouri; Catherine married Mr. C. Holloway, and Salina is since deceased. Mrs. Kenneday is still enjoying good health.
W. B. KENNEDY, farmer and old settler, Section 19, P. O. Lawrence. Pre-empted the place on which he now resides in 1855. Has now a farm of 200 acres devoted to both grain and live stock. W. B. Kennedy was born in Brown County, Ohio, October 16, 1822. He engaged in farming in his native county until 1848, when he moved to Fulton County, Ill; here he engaged in farming and boating and rafting on the Illinois and Mississippi Rovers. In 1855, he and others made up a train of bearing wagons with ox teams, and struck out for Kansas; their progress was slow, as they were encumbered with a large herd of cattle and horses, but finally reached their destination in June, 1855. Here he has since engaged in farming, with the exception of the last three years which he has devoted to mining operations in Colorado. In the early days of Kansas, Capt. Kennedy was prominently identified with the Free-State cause. He held a commission as Lieutenant of Company B, Second Regiment, having command of the cavalry portion of the organization, Capt. Hutchinson commanding the infantry. He participated in the battles of Franklin, Fort Saunders, Fort Titus and the other events of the time. During the late war, he held a commission as First Lieutenant of Company B, Third Regiment, Kansas State Militia, and by the promotion of the Captain was placed in command of the company. Took part in the battle of the Big Blue, at the defeat of Gen. Price. At the time of the Quantrill raid on Lawrence, he was at Lawrence, and was aroused by the firing, but like others of the militia, being without arms, could do nothing in the defense of the city. After the departure of the raiders, he assisted in putting out fires set by them. Mr. Kennedy was married in Fulton County, Ill., March 21, 1847, to Miss Elizabeth Curless, of Fulton County. They have seven children - Eugene, Flora M. (now Mrs. W. B. Townsend, of Salina County), Oscar, Ella A., L. May, Lucy and Effie F.
W. J. KENNEDY, farmer and stock-dealer, Section 34, P. O. Lawrence; settled on his present place in 1865. There are 100 acres in the home farm, and 160 acres in the immediate vicinity devoted to grain and stock, the former principally. W. J. Kenneday (sic) is one of the pioneers of Kansas; he was born in Brown County, Ohio, May 21, 1832. He was educated in his native county, and moved to Illinois. In 1852, located in Fulton County; here he learned to run a steam engine, having a natural taste for mechanics. In 1855, he and three other companions, W. J. James, Harrison Green and Sam Parks, hired a man with a light wagon to drive them to Kansas City; from there they walked to Franklin, Douglas County, Kan., settled October 12. He at once commenced working as an engineer, and for the next five years was engaged at this making wages of $5 per day. His first place was in charge of a saw mill, at Lawrence, which he operated until it blew up a few months later. He then operated a saw and grist mill in Franklin, until the supply of timber was exhausted. He then put an engine into a saw mill, built by Darland, in North Lawrence, and after putting it up took charge of it for about two years. The next year, he took charge of a mill for Dr. Williams, and the following year bought a farm, which he operated until he bought the place on which he now resides. During the border ruffian troubles, he took an active part with the Free-State men, holding the position of Lieutenant of the Franklin Company from its first organization until the troubles ended, participating in all the engagements; at the taking of Franklin, he was the first man in the fort, disarming Ruckles, the Captain of the defenders; afterward distinguishing himself in preserving order, with his own hands emptying on the ground two barrels of whisky which his men had captured. During the late war, he was attached to the headquarters of the Kansas State Militia, at Shawneetown, on special duty. He was married in Eudora Township, Douglas County, Kan., in March, 1857, to Miss Lucinda Shields, daughter of Joseph Shields, Esq., one of the pioneers of 1855. Mr. Kenneday is a member of the K. of H. and the A. O. U. W. of Lawrence.
ANDREW KOSTENBADER, old settler, now living on Section 9, P. O. Lawrence, was born in Union County, Penn., August 19, 1818. At the age of fourteen, he entered his father's blacksmith shop as an apprentice, serving four years, after which he continued working under his father until he was twenty-four years old. He then left his home determined to go West, stopping for a short time in Seneca County, Ohio, and in 1846 he settled in Stevenson County, Ill., where he engaged in farming, until the spring of 1857. He then moved to Kansas, and made a claim in Douglas County, which he afterward pre-empted and continued to operate until 1882, when he sold his farm on account of the death of his wife. He was married in Stevenson County, Ill., in 1852, to Miss Elizabeth McGee, who died in April, 1880, leaving three children - David, Rosanna (now Mrs. L. H. Watkins) and Anna. Mr. Kostenbader is one of a family of fourteen children all of whom are living but one. He had a re-union with them lately after an absence of forty years.
C. H. LANGSTON, farmer, P. O. Lawrence, came to Kansas, April 2, 1862, and located in Leavenworth, where he lived until 1868, and taught school for three years, and the balance of the time, while living in that city, was engaged in the grocery business. In 1868, he removed to Douglas County, where he resides at present. He was one of the Grant Electors in 1874. He is the Grand Master of the Masonic fraternity (colored) of Kansas, and the Counselor of the Knights of Wise Men of the World. Mr. Langston taught the first colored public school in Kansas, and was Principal of the only colored normal school established in this State. During the late war, he was a recruiting officers under Maj. George L. Stearns; was stationed at Quincy, Ill., for the purpose of recruiting colored soldiers for the two colored Massachusetts regiments, the Fifty-fourth and the fifty-fifth. Mr. L. was born in Fredericksburg, Va., August 31, 1817, and lived but a short time in his native place, when his parents moved to Louisa County, Va., where he lived until his fifteenth year, and from there moved to Oberlin, Ohio, where he attended the Oberlin College, being the first colored student that attended that institution. He lived in Ohio from 1834 until 1862, when he removed to Kansas. While living in Ohio, he was engaged for eight years in teaching. Mr. L. was married in Elyria, Lorain County, Ohio, January 18, 1869, to Mrs. Mary S. Leary, the widow of Louis Sheridan Leary, who was killed at Harper's Ferry with John Brown. She is a native of Fayetteville, N. C. They have two children - Nathaniel Turner and Caroline H. Mr. L. has a good farm of 125 acres in Douglas County. It is all inclosed and all under cultivation except thirty acres of timber land. He has a comfortable residence and good farm buildings. He has one of the finest apple orchards in the State, and plenty of small fruit on his farm.
JAMES McCREATH, farmer, Section 22, P. O. Lawrence, settled on his present place in 1879. The farm consists of 320 acres under a high state of cultivation. This farm formerly consisted of 640 acres, and was known as the "Reeder Float Farm," being located by a United States Government warrant in the hands of Gov. Reeder, the first Territorial Governor of Kansas, who settled and partially improved it. It was owned by the Reeder heirs until 1880, when it was divided and sold. The products are grain and stock, the aim of the proprietor being to feed up all coarse grains. He has a herd of seventy-five cattle of all ages. His shipment of hogs consists of about two cars yearly, the sales for 1882 aggregating $1,700. James McCreath was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, September 23, 1830. About the age of eighteen, he left his native country for America, locating in Canada about one year, and moved to the State of Michigan. In 1859, he settled in Vermillion County, Ill., where he engaged in farming until 1878, with the exception of the time he spent in the army. He enlisted in 1863 in Company F, One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, being located in Tennessee the most of the time. In 1878, he located in Leavenworth County, Kan., and the following year settled on his present place. He was married in Ayrshire, Scotland, to Miss Christian Arthur, who died, leaving four children - George, David, Melinda and Mary. He was married to his present wife in Vermillion County, Ill. She was Mrs. Sarah Ingraham. They have one son - Mark Ray. Mr. McCreath is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.